Bud Light & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-26-2007)

I drank this on a bet. I knew the regular strength version was awful, but didn't think that the light version could be any worse. I could not have been more wrong. An awful brew cannot be improved by watering it down. Consequently, the aroma, taste, mouthfeel and drinkability are as bad as they can be. Worse than even the worse plain old light beer.

utah44, Jul 10, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +152.8%

This isn't beer, it's just a strange mildly alcoholic beverage. Like a fizzy Bloody Mary. I enjoy it, but easily see why others find it disgusting. If you're looking for a beer taste it isn't in there. It's sweet, salty, and spicy. I saw this stuff in a lot of c-stores for a long time and always thought it would be disgusting, but now I'm hooked.

I was watching a 10+ year old Seinfeld episode a few weeks ago where Kramer got into cock-fighting with his rooster named Little Jerry. In the final few scenes at the Mexican cock-fight there's a BudLight Chelada banner hanging in the background. The banner probably pre-dated the release of Chelada in the states, but Mexicans have drank this stuff for a long time.

PheerNoBeer, Jun 24, 2009

If you are looking for a beer, don't drink this. Sure, you may be attracted to the odd combination of clam juice, tomato, and beer, wait, that doesn't sound good at all. The sole use for this beverage is to give to your friends when they first wake up from a hangover. Watch as they take one sip and then erupt like a volcano!

2KHokie, May 09, 2009
1.15/5  rDev -35.4%

Per someone's suggestion, I've decided to review this, though there was no way I was going to let it be #1000. First, I must give a bit of background information on why I want to try this. Ever since I was a kid, I've hated tomato juice. Just the very smell of it made me sick. My parents would groan in disappointment whenever I refused a glass of it for each holiday dinner. I also remember my neighbors and how they liked to drink their Carling Black Label. They'd toss salt in it to kill the head. Mix in Bud Light, tomato juice and salt and you have one unholy combination.

This elixir pours a light reddish-blond color with absolutely no head into my glass. Just by looking at it, I can tell that I'm not going to enjoy this.

The aroma is full of tomato sauce and salt with only a hint of actual beer underneath. Actually, it barely passes for beer but I'll go into that with another review. Already, I'm dreading the taste.

The taste is full of salt upfront and tomato kicks in afterward. Strong tomato taste here that along with the salt, bludgeons any of the "beer flavor" that might exist. It's like pouring a cheap lager into a glass of V8 and rimming it with salt.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering tomato and salt, which seem to bludgeon my taste buds mercilessly. Thankfully, it's not as thick as the Bud Chelada so the mouthfeel is a bit more tolerable.

In conclusion, this cannot be called beer, unless you wish to be mocked by those that enjoy actual beer. I seriously wonder what the marketing people at A-B were thinking when they dreamed this up. I would like to have some of what they were smoking at the time. After all, you'd have to really hate beer to want to dump salt and tomato juice in it.

In other words, I try beer like this so you don't have to.

Brad007, May 08, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +129.2%

"And now, something completely different..."
--announcer introduction to
Monty Python's Flying Circus, circa 1969

OK. I get it. Most reviews are not fans of this brew, but it is a nice diversion. Just don't indulge too much if you have problems with fluid retention in your body because there is a high level of sodium in this beer's Clamato juice.

But then, it is not for every day imbibing. It is for special occasions, and it goes so completely well with Tex-Mex dishes.

A: It is red and opaque and has an average head and lacing. It's red because it is a combination of Bud Light (or Budweiser) and Clamato juice, which are popular combinations of beverages in various regions around North America. The good people of Winnipeg were the first to introduce the Bud Light / Clamato combo to me when I visited Canada in 2004.

S: Fruity

T: Refreshingly different. It has a bite to it. Zesty and zippy like a Bloody Mary without the steak sauce that cannot spell. Wirschester? (You get the idea.)

M: Feels juicy in the mouth and it effervesces as it passes the rear of the palate.

D: Above average.

MikeInIowa, Apr 16, 2009
1.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours cloudy orange-pink in color, with no head.

Aroma is tomato, celery salt, and an odd musty quality.

Taste is tomato, celery, a touch of hot sauce and soda water. Finish holds the strange musty quality from the nose.

Mouthfeel is thin and spritzy.

Not worth trying again.

Blakaeris, Mar 31, 2009
2.2/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured a funky orange with the consistency of Hawaiian Punch. A light pink head that was quickly gone.

Has a funky bloody mary like smell with a bit of citrusy lime.

The flavor is a strange mix of slightly sweet tomato juice and a salty lime with a just a hint of bad beer flavor in the finish.

The mouthfeel is very thin, especially for something with tomato juice.

Overall I found it disappointing, especially from someone who really likes tomato juice and beer, and I used to enjoy mixing the two when I was younger.

bashiba, Mar 31, 2009

I always have been a fan of clamato, so i really enjoyed this beer. Its made with clamato genuine. There is a very light essence of clam in the smell; the appearance is strange with a deep orange color; the taste is a mixture among tomato, clam and a light beer; the mouthfeel is a little spicy; in the drinkability, its very good to slander, or to drink 1 o 2, not more.

roddwolff, Mar 12, 2009

It's too bad there's no category for sound, because this beer when poured emits oratory befoulment that few other drinks could, or would want to, mimic. Blind people would know to stay away from this atrocious alchemy of beer and tomato sin. This "beverage" is a test of whether or not a person can prove the survival of the fittest theory. If it tastes detrimental to your health, then you oughtn't drink it and that's what a Chelada is, a disgusting prank. After consuming the tiniest sip, a drinker will cough and gag with a vehement force reserved only for tasting the strongest of moonshines. This drink is an embarrassment to beer manufacturers everywhere.

sanfordja, Mar 01, 2009
2.42/5  rDev +36%

Yup. Why not?

It's ... red. With bubbles. As if it's ovulating. And it probably is. Head disappears as I pour leaving a sheet of uh, something along the glass.

This might seem strange, but it smells like bud light with clamato. I happen to like clamato, so it doesn't smell disgusting.

Taste isn't as bad as I feared. Bud Light has no taste and clamato has a good taste so they converge to taste like clamato. I could really do without the spices, this isn't a friggin bloody mary, they add a certain unwelcome burn to the mix.

Feels fairly flat, yet thick. The spices mess this up too. Especially the damn lime; get that shit outta here.

I bought this just because I hadn't reviewed it and expected something completely Godawful. While I wouldn't call this good, it's not as unholy a creation as I thought, and it certainly tastes better than Bud Light.

Overall: almost worth a try

PatronWizard, Feb 27, 2009
1.08/5  rDev -39.3%

24oz can. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when this one was conceived. I picture, just like the peanut butter cup ad, someone walking around the corner with a bud light and someone with a can of clamato juice. They bump into each other. Hey, you got bud light in myclamato juice. Hey, you got clamato juice in my bud light. They both take a taste and the Chelada was born. This one was absolute crap.

Notes from: 2/8/08

hopdog, Jan 07, 2009

Alright, review #500. I wanted to pick a special beer for this one. But, I couldn't resist Chelada. I suppose it is indeed special. But, not in a good way.

I'd like to thank csmiley for the can. This one has about 6 months of age on it, so it is a vintage 2008 can.

Appearance: In color, it's reminiscent of grapefruit juice. It's very pink with a slight orange hue to it. There's a lot of haze in there. A forceful pour only yielded a foamy white head that was about a finger deep. It dissipated quickly and left no lacing to speak of.

Smell: The nose isn't exactly a modicum of strength or depth. There is a distinct tomato smell to it. It's definitely salty smelling. There's also some light pepper and perhaps other spices. There's also an interesting soup-like aroma to it. Honestly, it's very weird and unimpressive. It's biggest fault is that it doesn't smell anything like beer. Not even bad beer.

Taste: I can honestly say that this is worse than I was expecting and I was expecting bad. Really bad. It's very heavy on tomato. That, in and of itself, is a horrible thing for a beer. It's very salty and that flavor resonates well into the aftertaste. It's a little peppery and spicy. There is an interesting soup flavor. Reminds of a chicken noodle broth. I'm not picking up any clam, but trust me, it wouldn't add anything positive here. It finishes like it started...full on tomato and salt blast.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and watery. Not smooth at all. Carbonation is very high and buzzy. Drinkability is awful. I made a promise to drink the entire can and I intend to. But, damn...it is going to be a mighty struggle.

Wow. Bud Light Chelada takes it to a whole new level. How and why is this called beer? There's a not a single quality that justifies it being labeled as such. Having said that, this is truly the worst beer that's ever touched these lips. I'm still wondering if there's a way I can rate it lower. It doesn't deserve a "1" in the least. There's not a single, positive redeeming quality that could be built upon or improved. Bottom line, it's a train wreck.

Thanks for the opportunity and the experience, Chris. I'd love to say this is forgettable, but this awful beer will haunt my tastebuds for years to come.

prototypic, Dec 24, 2008
1.05/5  rDev -41%

A Farewell to A-B, Episode 4: The Final Straw

I brought this home and grabbed my Duvel glass, but read "Bud Light beer with natural flavors and certified colors", and had to jam that bastard can into the freezer for a minute while I calmed down and stopped my hands from shaking. Never have I been so afraid of a beer since that asshole roommate of mine at Carolina sprung Ed's Cave Creek on me. Steve Wyman... that sick sumbitch...

With a great "WHOOSH!" of Arctic air I imagine to be sprinkled with the yelps of happy sled-dogs, the Frigidaire unceremoniously disgorges the vessel, bluntly refusing lodging to this brew of mutant-kind. I take the rejected single in hand... examining it carefully for dents, details of its construction, and just in case, for Poison Control Center info....

What's the can say, again? Hmmm. The ad-hoc ingredients list isn't so much a tease as it is a threat; "Bud Light"? Ok, so that sucks, but "natural flavors"?? I suppose that catchall category of culinary art could include those succulent notes of salt, lemon and tasty tomato, but could also include "rust", "creme de camel assholes" or "vinegar-poached louse". I really want to know just what in the f*ck a "Certified Color" is, too. My heart flutters timidly. "Certified"? Like you have to have a license to use it? Like you could die if you inhaled it? Like it will get your ass high, high if you chop out a rail and honk it up your snoot? Ok, I know... now I'm officially stalling. I'm putting this off because I have visions of Cherry Nyquil Bloody Mary shots laced with salty amaretto and rat poison... It really IS pretty here, today, and going to watch some football later. I can't decide if I hate the Cowpokes or the Giants worse...Romo... Eli... punk-ass los... Huh? Yeah, yeah. OK.

I select the Duvel glass for its innate ability to make shitty beer look championship-caliber, as I figure this evil beast will need all the help she can get. "Crack" goes the top, "Hiss" hisses the Beast...

...And out she slinks, a sickly fruit-drink vomitous hazy orangey-pink with a flash of soda pop bubbles. No head forms, save a thin pearly bead abandoned at the periphery of the drink. That sparkling bracelet is fed by trickle of bubbles struggling to the surface on the way to self-immolate, so eager, so driven they are to escape whatever unspeakable horror it was that kidnapped and enslaved them, once upon a time, long ago, in some faraway Frankenstein brewery deep in the darkest circles of Hell. The Cheladabeast is easily the least appetizing "beer" I have ever gazed upon in a glass, but, in all fairness, it looks a helluva lot like pink grapefruit juice. If only it were so.

The smell is a sour whang of sour tomato and sour metal, the sour gears sourly clashing, sourish citrus lingers in the sour-ass aftersniff.

Once again I feel compelled to talk about football, and weather, too. The Jets-Bills game is on, and wow, is it sunny here! I bet my buddies up in New Yawk are deeply divided on this game... I like Buffalo, but how can I pull against Favre? What? I was reviewing this beer, oh yeah... what the Hell. I'm getting to it.

A big sip realizes the sum of all my fears all at once, bringing more salty tomatoey fishiness than I imagined possible in any beer product. Holy FUCK! Panic! This shit is AWFUL!

Worse, still, is that the advertising is true! The malt bill is metallic and no doubt that of Bud Light, as is the associated anti-hoppiness, but the real blasphemy is the bitter lemon and salted fish struggling from under sour, astringent tomato concentrate. OMFG! Is that garlic? Am I imagining how fucking horrid this is?!?! Another sip... GAH! It's real!

As the drink warms and I become accustomed to the tangy fishyness of it, it begins to grow on me a bit. Ok, so that's total bullshit. It's still so fucking awful, worse as the drink goes on, but it's become a matter of pride and perseverance now. This is my last A-B beer, after all. So I say, for now, anyway. For all the Michelobs I swilled on the golf course; for all the Natural Lights I begged off the older kids in High School; for all the nights at Bub O'Malley's in Chapel Hill I spent arm-wrestling with $2 "Bub's Cups" of my old nemesis The King... and for that old Native American dude from the Outlaw Josey Wales, I will "...endeavor to persevere."

Awful. Drinkability relative to gravel partially dissolved in battery acid. A good brew to remember what went wrong at A-B to begin with, before the InBev bloodletting, and a perfect one to part company on. I'll still always have a soft spot in my heart for Budweiser, but the company I knew and respected is gone forever. It makes me sad to see an American icon fade into history, especially when so many people lose jobs. The King is Dead. Long live the King.

cvstrickland, Dec 14, 2008
1.65/5  rDev -7.3%

Big ol' 2X4 can. Pop and pour - but this is a chug beer.

Welp, the ol' pour does not bode well - fizzy copper red with no head at all. It's just sitting there looking at me - wanting me to chug 'er down. Aroma is wet tomato juice - well, duh.

Good freakin' grief - this isn't beer, it's weak tomato juice with a ton of salt. Enough salt to melt the ice on my driveway - which is 200 feet long. I can fell the blood pressure ratcheting up as I go thru this glass.

Guess this might be good with a massive Sunday hangover while tailgating. IF, you add a nice shot of good vodka.

Vancer, Nov 20, 2008
1.15/5  rDev -35.4%

This beer was tasted in a mug from the 16oz can left at my house by my uncle.

The beer pours hazy watermelon juice pink wiht a small fizzy head that dissipates immediately.

The aroma is actually fairly similar to regular bud light. The Clamato smell is not too strong but does linger in the background. Overall, the aroma is weak and the clam/tomato does not add anything.

Clam & Tomato up front with a hint of bud light. This is absolutely awful to me. Probably one of the worst things I have ever put in my mouth.

The mouthfeel is kind of like carbonated tomato juice. Certainly some body there, but still not appealing.

Overall, I just hate this beer. I do not know what else to say.

MSchae1017, Nov 15, 2008
2.1/5  rDev +18%

I picked this up from a local grocery store.

Pours a grapefruit-like color with a thin white head that dissapeared quickly, leaving no collar. A faint aroma of malts, but pretty much tomato. Taste was that of red beer, not beer. It did have some spiciness to it. Watery texture, the tomato sauce gave it a little chewyness. If I am looking for a "beer" this is not it, but for someone that enjoys red beers this is a good choice. This does feel the niche if you did not want the hassle of making one yourself. Overall a good red beer.

tbeck, Sep 28, 2008

Is there not a negative rating on this site? This would be the first beer that I've had that would deserve it.

Everything about this beer is just plain awful.

It poured a raw pink color. It smelled like sour gym socks, and I can only imagine that eating those same socks would taste about the same as this beer did.

Drinkability is less than zero, because I could hardly swallow it. I can only hope that this "beer" gets taken off the market soon.

I'm not all about dogging beers out. Opinions are opinions, and what one person loves, another person may hate. But man, this stuff is unbearable. I can't imagine anyone enjoying this.

Daytripper42, Sep 12, 2008

24 oz. can. Had this beside the budweiser and it poured a little lighter color. Rated this one a notch lower. Tasted much, much worse. I hope that InBev rids this scourge from the earth.

To the editors: you need to have 0 and 0.5 available for scoring for beers such as this.

mtstatebeer, Sep 03, 2008

Oh lord god, I have few words for this beverage that aren't four letters or can't be said to a police officer....

For this beer alone I would like to petition BA to let me give a negative score to a beer.

Lets make an actual attempt to rate this beer:

Smell: I've never been a comedian, so I don't know what it smells like when the audience thinks you suck and throws 7 week old tomatoes at you...but I imagine it's about the same smell.

Appearance: Pink? My suggestion, buy a can on March 31st and serve it to somebody in a clear glass who like grapefruit juice the next day...

Taste: Most of us have been there...drank far too much in a row and then it all comes back up. The best flavor I can remember from my last experience praying to the porcelain gods was better than one sip of this.

(Tomato + Bad + crappy beer)

Mouthfeel: Spit it into the sink too quickly to evaluate. I tried a few more sips just to see if I could get a palate rating, but sadly I kept being unable to keep it in my mouth for more than 3 seconds.

Drinkability: See mouthfeel for why I can't rate this....

Overall Impression: Now that InBev owns AB, they find whoever is responsible for this beer and ensure they are put into the ultimate dead end job to ensure they never have the opportunity to work for ANY other brewery and create something that resembles this terrorist attack on beer.

That being said, I have bought a 24 oz can and put it in my pantry next to my first aid kit because I realized my Ipecac Syrup was past date and forcing this down somebody's throat will probably have similar results.

mwa423, Aug 15, 2008
1.15/5  rDev -35.4%

Well I was drinking this one because my grandpa from Montana likes it a lot. He is a red beer fan. Since I haven't had it yet I thought what the hell. I should have kept that thought how stupid this was.

A- I drank it straight out of the can, however, when I got the chance to pour the second half of the can down the drain I noticed it looked like Clamato juice.

S- From what I could smell it smelled like bud light and aluminum, but I think it was just the can. In other words there wasn't much to smell.

T- The first few sips wernt that bad. It was like what you would expect from a red beer, however, they were a little heavy in the red part, and I'm not that big of fan of clamato juice. But after the first few sips it was horrible. I poured it down the drain.

M- A fizzy tomato juice feel.

D- I don't think so.

Wetpaperbag, Jul 09, 2008
1.43/5  rDev -19.7%

So as my mother and I drove to Rite-Aid, I was telling her about this beer for some odd reason. Next nothing I know, we see it sitting there in the cooler and decided we had to give it a try.

A - It was a pink salmon color with a one finger head that sat on top. It was rather cloudy and looked a bit watery. Actually reminded me a bit of hazy pink lemonade.

S - Tomato juice with a hint of lime. The worst part about the nose was the clam as it made the beer smell rather fishy. Reminded me a bit of the smell of badly made Manhattan clam chowder.

T - Reminded me of a watered down Bloody Mary that was mixed with beer instead of vodka. Thankfully, the clam was only noticed here and there. The aftertaste was rather salty and I have to say the salt was rather prominent throughout. When the clam was missing, this reminded me just of V8 tomato juice but when the clam was there it was a perfect storm of bad flavors. However, I have to say it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

MF - thin with light carbonation. A light tingle sits on the tongue and as I drink it, it reminds me a bit of the mouthfeel of pureed tomatoes.

D - There really is none at all. The beer was worth a try and better than I thought ( which is not saying much as I expected to be horrified). I had no desire to have more than the few sips that I had to try and definitely would not buy again unless I meant it as a gag beer. If you like tomato juice, you might like this beer, especially if you don't mind fishy tastes added in here and there.

jeonseh, May 31, 2008
3.03/5  rDev +70.2%

Appearance: Looks like hazy, thinned tomato juice capped by a small, fizzy, white head.

Smell: A few hearty squirts of Heinz ketchup into a pot of simmering celery stock with no more than a few faroff hints of actual beer.

Taste: Salty tomato soup taste. Tiny hit of acidity. Very ketchupy and heavily seasoned with celery salt. Sweetish beer thins things out. Peppery spice. Thinnish tomato water finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not altogether terrible. In fact, it's okay.

ChainGangGuy, May 24, 2008
1.13/5  rDev -36.5%

Can shared with saucya and frognutunl. I told them I was opening something special at a tasting we had, this was it.

Pour an oily pink with a thin pink head that quickly fades. I can deal with that, it looks like a fruit beer.

Smell: The most offensive smell ever. It smell like a bag of tomatoes left under a car seat in 90 degree weather for a week. I almost puked.

Taste: Salt, salt, and more salt with a dash of tomato.

Mouthfeel: Slimy, disgusting, salty.

TheBlackMallard, May 20, 2008
1.18/5  rDev -33.7%

Preface: Craig (TheBlackMallard) hosted a small tasting with FrognutUnl and myself. Included was a Dark Lord 06-08 Vertical, an Ithaca TEN, and a Captain Lawrence Smoke from the Oak Wine. This one kicked off the night, though.

A - Poured into a plastic 16 oz. cup, this red mess pours with a creepier pink foam on top that quickly vanishes. It's hazy, nasty... it's really gross looking.

S - Is this beer? Dear god, this is really bad. No malt, no hops, no yeast. It smells of rancid tomato/pizza sauce, and fish. That's it. It's horrible. For reference, I really enjoy tomato juice, bloody mary's, V8, and fish.

T - This starts off salty, and finishes salty, with light notes of tomato, bud light, and fish. It's cold. It's horrible. This is the beer they have on tap in hell.

M - It's light, sparkly, and whatever. I don't even know what to rate the mouthfeel because I'm just creeped out.

D - I don't know if I could finish one, even if someone was paying me. It's disgusting, on so many levels.

Notes: This made me appreciate the upcoming brews that much more. Thanks to TheBlackMallard for the rare chance to try this. It's worth the $2 to play Fear Factor at home. I hope my Bloody Beer isn't anything like this.

SaucyA, May 18, 2008

Worst... beer... ever.

We bought a can of this because it sounds so disgusting we were intrigued. It didn't let us down. We had 9 people taste it and only one person liked it enough to finish the can for us (he's living in Montana and said "red beer" is often served at bars). This beer is the most disgusting beverage (let alone beer) I have tasted in a very long time.

msolar, May 11, 2008