Bud Light & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-26-2007)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next › last »
pjblurton

Tennessee

1.45/5  rDev -16.2%

Let me start by saying that I LOVE tomato juice. I also LOVE beer. Salt and Lime are a nice combo to. Soooo, with that being said, I picked this up out of morbid curiosity because I also LOVE mexican food and the Chelada name hooked me.

I'll not bother with the A/S/T/M/D details.

Let me first state that the first sip struck the front of the tongue sharply. Then surrounded the palate with fizz. I don't know if it was the salt or the lime, but it was unpleasant.

The smell was nice, just what I would have expected from reading the label.

The second sip struck the front of the tongue again, but harder, then more fizz.

After this I threw in the towel. I called my wife into the kitchen to witness the first time I had ever poured a beer down the sink.
I am the dude that will sit until every last drop of beer is consumed. Even finish my wifes beer if she has any. I have bought beers in the past I didn't like, but finished 'em anyway.

This is the worst s**t I have ever tasted....EVER!

03-30-2008 00:41:45 | More by pjblurton
tempest

2.17/5  rDev +25.4%

Picked up a 16 oz. can out of sheer perverse curiosity. Do I regret it? I don't think so. Do I regret not also buying the Budweiser Chelada to taste? Not at all.

It pours a hazy pink with the head of club soda (light and quickly disappearing). The appearance was pretty unappealing, though I guess the style is wide open, but it reminded me of fish guts and it was kind of bloody pink with bits of what I assume to be tomato floating around.

The aroma and flavor came off like a cold, salty version of condensed Campbell's Tomato Soup that's cut with light beer instead of milk or water. Frankly, I found it a bit too salty, even though one of my immediate urges what to add oyster crackers and make myself a grilled cheese sandwich.

The beer came off fairly thick and was by no means easy to drink. This was a definite drain pour for me, but I can see this being an acquired taste as none of the individual flavor were actually repulsive or anything. This beer simply is what it is and now I never have to try it again.

03-29-2008 18:40:54 | More by tempest
armock

I got this stuff to try in the name of science and if I could score it less than a one I would have this stuff is bad.

A - Poured a cloudy red color with a pink head that fades fast

S - I gagged its that bad it smells of tomato and rotten seafood

T - I almost threw up it tastes like tomato and vomit no beer taste at all

M - Theres lots of carbonation in this disaster

D - I only had a few sips of this and that was way too many for me I don't think I'd give this to someone as a joke even stay away from the Chelada

03-23-2008 16:46:09 | More by armock
weeare138

1.1/5  rDev -36.4%

Thanks to hopdog for the opportunity...
Appears a hazy pink with a small white cap. Streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell...really gross of tomatoes, oregeno, clam juice. Blecchhh!
Taste - I really can't even describe the horror of this. Read the comments from smell.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, acidic, and the vomit lingering is either from this abomination, or the dry heaving actually coming back up in my mouth.
I know this is the rage out West by putting this kind of crap in your beer but this must be one of the all time worst marketing schemes I've ever heard of. I guess there must be a target market out there for this but I don't think I want to be associated with them.

03-19-2008 02:45:06 | More by weeare138
Contagion

IT came in 1 pint 8 fluid oz (22 ounce) silver can. It proudly advertises that it is Bud Light and Clamato (with salt and lime the perfect combination) Below that it shows a beer goblet with limes in the rim and Chelada across the front of it. On the side it has a box that has both Spanish and English writing in it. The English says, "Enjoy the best of two worlds: a refreshing Bud Light and the unique flavor of Clamato. Drink a Red One, ready to go, or use your favorite ingredients to make it yours - wherever, whenever!" Ed note: Never

The color is like that of a dark pink grapefruit juice. There is a distinct red color to it. It's thick; light passes through, but barely. It just looks thick. When my wife walked into the room she said it looked like chum. There is no head at all and no lacing on the glass. There is a film, but it isn't pleasant looking. It's like floating bits of stuff have stuck to it.

The smell is mainly tomatoes, salt and only what can be described as wharf. You know, that scent you smell along piers that are in large bodies of water. There is a hint of lime and I think you might smell stale beer. I'm not sure if it was there or just my nose wishing it was. Unless you really like the scent of fish and bloody marys, don't smell this. The taste is going to haunt me for the rest of my life. In 20 years from now I'm going to wake up screaming while I have a nightmare remembering this review. First off, this does NOT taste like beer. Tomatoes, salt, clams with a slight stale beer backwash is what it tastes like. BTW, there are floaty bits in there. Not many, but there are some... and yes they are chewy. Fortunately they are few, far between and small.

I'd love to tell you what the mouthfeel is like on this beer, but honestly I didn't want it in my mouth long enough to find out. I will tell you that for the brief milliseconds I had it in my mouth it reminded me of drinking tomato sauce and vomit.

Bud Light Chelada is proof that the gods of beer have a dark and mean sense of humor. This has to be the vilest and nastiest beer I've drank in my life. It's not pleasant in any way or shape. It actually brought tears to my eyes at the thought of having to drink the whole 22 ounces and made me do the "it's icky" dance. Any of you with young kids knows what I'm talking about. I'm not joking when I warn you, for the love of all that is good and right in the world, DO NOT DRINK THIS BEER.

03-14-2008 01:37:30 | More by Contagion
erosier

Connecticut

2.33/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This is an interesting beer for sure. It pours a dark red grapefruit color with a short pink head with little lacing of the glass. It smells of tomatoes, lime, some very hint malts and hops. It tastes pretty interesting. It tastes of some light malts, then some vegetable juice (like v8) which has some spicyness to it, then some lime and finally a salty kick at the end. In all honesty, I kind of liked it a little bit, but it was really hard to get over at how I am used to beer. It had an OK mouthfeel - kind of spicy and salty but with a moderate amount of carbonation. I think I would have liked it better with a less carbonation. The drinkability was not very good, but I did finish the whole thing when I wasn't expecting to.

03-03-2008 04:34:12 | More by erosier
Seanizzle

1.3/5  rDev -24.9%

Okay, I'm usually lenient with reviews, but this is hands down the worst beer I have ever had! When I saw the can I was instantly excited by the advertised flavor. I mean, I was thinking it was going to taste like a bloody mary when I bought this, but boy was I wrong. I dont know how Anheuser-busch let this beer hit the shelves. Oh yeah...and this is coming from a guy whose favorite beers are natty and bud light, so you know this beer is no bueno!

03-01-2008 01:15:31 | More by Seanizzle
BEERchitect

Kentucky

1.35/5  rDev -22%

Ok, I'll admit it. I'll buy any beer once. I do this so that I can obtain a good cross-seciton of the beers that are available. Some I have high hopes for, some I don't. When I bought this beer, my expectations were quite low. Even bracing for this, I was surprised. Calling this beer bad is an insult to bad beers everywhere. A pour that looks like a mix of grapefruit juice and tomato juice. Very fizzy and never formed any head or lacing then went flat very quickly. Aromas of citrus fruit, tomato juice, and wet dog. Taste of acidic tomato juice hits up front with a watery, grainy, citrus follow-up. Turns into selzer water late with a soggy, Bloody Mary taste. Body is weak, acidic, watery, and hot sauce-like. Finishes with V8 and baking soda taste and feel. This isn't even your every day, run-of-the-mill bad; it's a special bad that deserves a new name to properly describe it. After choking down about 10 oz of a 24 oz can, I donated it to the septic system (poor system).

Oh God, I just remembered... I have it's ugly twin brother, the Budwiezer version, waitin' in the fridge.

02-29-2008 20:47:27 | More by BEERchitect
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

Appearance is very similar to the Bud version with pink ruby red grapefruit juice coming to mind extremely fizzy pink tinted head dwindles down to nothing leaves tomato juice residuals clinging to the glass but no lace to speak of here. Slight mineral can smell going on with salty citric acid ocean breeze and Campbell's tomato soup in your nares. Flavor wise this one doesn't taste as much like acid reflux as the Bud counterpart more salty tomato and citrus notes flooding the senses. Really clears out my sinuses for some out reason still no beer flavor coming through just like a seafood infused tomato cocktail or better yet to be fare it's like gazpacho minus the heavy spiciness or herbal cilantro qualities. Maybe it could use some vegetation because this is a really hard can to get down on your own split it up on a Sunday afternoon and make it a cocktail hour. If your going to abuse beer like this don't let AB mix it for you grab some tomato juice a little salt and call it a Red Eye. Why do we have to throw in the clam saltiness and citrus flow, because that equates to acid reflux in your mouth. Mouthfeel is kinda viscous hell it has almost 2 grams of protein in it, carbonation is fizzy but tomato puree' and clam juice make this one pretty hearty. Drinkability pretty horrible in my standards, I had to attempt the Bud Light version because it kept staring me from the fridge after my Budweiser and Clamato experience the other night. Not as terrible as that was I guess because I'm somewhat prepared now, but this is by all means a drain pour unless your trying to be a tough guy and finish it just to say you did. By the way, I'm not going to pour this one and as I continue to abuse my palate it adjusts to the Chelada flow and it actually becomes more tolerable with each sip.

02-25-2008 16:39:13 | More by WVbeergeek
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

A: The beer is a murky light red color, with almost no head or lacing.

S: The aroma is of tomatoes and not much of anything else that would make you think you're about to drink a beer.

T: All I could taste was the clamato, tomato & clam juice, which just overpowered what little beer-like qualities were contained in the Bud Light itself. In all seriousness, the flavors and strong acidity in this caused it to taste like I regurgitated and then swallowed.

M: Not smooth, medium but viscous body, light carbonation, sour finish.

D: I didn't find it tasty at all, I suppose if the clamato is your thing, you may like this beer, but I didn't like it at all and quite honestly found this to be the worst tasting beer I've ever had.

02-05-2008 17:45:48 | More by TheManiacalOne
wondertrev

2.85/5  rDev +64.7%

If you've never had a michelada, you'll probably wonder just what the hell this is.

Well, first of all, I didn't think I was getting a decent beer with this sample. After all, it is made with Bud. Having said that, I must note that when I was living in Laredo, I discovered micheladas: a concoction of macro-lagers combined with tomato juice/clamato and spices. Maybe I'm just missing out, but this is respectable try from a crappy beer company. I'd rather make one with Modelo, but this is what it is. I'm not comparing this to Dogfish Head-I'm comparing it to what I got on the border.

The 'certified color' is a about what I recall. It looks like a crappy bloody mary from TGI Fridays. However, it's Clamato and macro beer. What are you expecting?

The smell has a whiff of fish, but it's made from Clamato. What do you expect?

Taste lets you know that it's from a can, but it does have a bit of heat and citrus.

I could drink this on a hot summer day, but I'd rather have one made from scratch.

All in all, I have to confess that it isn't that bad.

01-17-2008 02:06:04 | More by wondertrev
tsbuttry

District of Columbia

I truly do love beer. Even in the most foul brews ever invented, I was able to find some redeeming value, or write off a cheap macrobrew or frat party beer as merely "generic" and "inoffensive" in some regard.

This past weekend a good friend of mine had a bad beer party. A party where we celebrate the entertainment value of masochisticly punishing ourselves with the most vile swill imaginable. Then came the small sample plastic cups with this pink fizzy (not foamy) invention and it blew the rest of the field out of the water. This is without question the most foul thing I've ever put in my body, and my first (and hopefully only) "beer" that scores 1's across the board.

Appearance: Pink and fizzy like soda instead of foamy like beer. It looks like cloudy Strawberry Fanta.

Smell: I've tried to bury the memory of Chelada's stench with my considerable skills of repression and about an entire pack of Camel Lights. Nothing doing. I might have to move onto Chesterfield Kings. It smells like spicy canned clams that have been left to rot in the sun for a few weeks. Nothing in here smells remotely like beer.

Taste: At first it bludgeons the taster with a wave of salt. Then the disgusting mixture of tomato and clam take over and refuse to leave the pallate no matter what tactics you use to get rid of it (the only thing that worked was a Rauschbier later in the contest).

Mouthfeel: It feels like a mix of V8 and cheap, generic soda on the tongue. The fizz is disturbing, but hardly the worst aspect. You can't simply swallow it, because it coats whatever it touches with a sick, impenetrable membrane of Clamato.

Drinkability: I was unable to finish the small 3 ounce sample glass I was given. The salt, clam and tomato were simply too much. Quite frankly, this brew would have been much better and much more drinkable (I can't believe I'm saying this) if they went much heavier on the Bud Light.

This is a "beer" that has truly scarred me for life.

01-14-2008 16:47:28 | More by tsbuttry
bentrider1957

Arizona

1.05/5  rDev -39.3%

When I saw this thing they dare to call "beer", I had reservations. I should have canceled them! I was thinking of asking congress to outlaw this beer. Here is my experience.

16oz Can?? I am not sure what it was because I made the bartender pour it into a glass. The outside of the can should have some kind of HAZMAT symbol, I think.

A - Ruby red tomato juice, lightly carbonated, not enough sodium laurel sulphate for head retention. Sarcasm intended.

S - Smells bad. Kinda like walking down a fishing pier THE DAY after a catch. Also a hint of tomato, which does not belong in beer because of it's acidity. Just my opinion.

T - Really horrible taste. I could not distinguish ANY of the 4 elements of beer. Namely hops and barley. AB replaced it with rice. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming.

M - Honestly, it has the texture of water or TOMATO juice! Go figure!

D - ???? I can't think of anything.

Recommendation: If you like to have seafood and beer, you should buy seafood and have a beer. I have no problem with that idea. However, I can't stress enough on how badly this beer was crafted. That being said, I see there are people on board that like it. I just think it is not beer. It is a Frankenstein of elements.

Thanks for reading this warning.

01-07-2008 22:37:28 | More by bentrider1957
semihobo

1.45/5  rDev -16.2%

Saw this in the beer cooler and nearly crapped myself. I drink a V8 every day and I am down with clam juice... have to give this a shot. 24 oz can (I hope it's good!) born just over a month ago, 11/02/07. Full disclosure: I've never mixed beer with tomato juice. It just didn't occur to me. From the can's descriptions, though, how could I not have tried my Bud Light with clams, tomato juice, salt, and lime? Pairing this with a Chipotle burrito... non-authentic Mexican food and drink.

Oh you asshole... volcanoed onto my desk, soaking my students' papers. Oh well at least I don't teach elementary school. Bright pinkish red, like a grapefruit juice looking mixed drink. Tons of bubbles on the edges, nothing for a head, head is as bad as a Sprite. I was hoping for darker red with fewer bubbles.

Smells like clam, lime, tomato, and fakeness, with a hint of beer. Blargh.

Taste is peppery, weak tomato like watered down V8. Extremely salty, finish is overpowering salt with a lingering clamminess (worth reviewing just to use these terms). No beer taste.

This had the potential to have the thick, luxurious mouthfeel of tomato juice. Instead, it is thin and intensely carbonated.

I can literally count on one hand the number of beers I've poured out without finishing... and I will still be able to say that after I pour out the other 12 ounces of this. I don't eat a lot of sodium and this is burning my throat non-stop... a basic search turns up nothing for amount of sodium per serving. Shouldn't that be on the can too?

Next time a macro lager comes into my possession I'm mixing it with V8 in my own proportions... the idea is valid, but yeesh the execution is awful on this one. PASS.

12-16-2007 00:13:46 | More by semihobo
drewbage

3.05/5  rDev +76.3%

Classic 24oz can.

So this one was poured at a Maltose Falcons Dead Palate Society after our annual Oktoberfest party.

The beer pours dark cloudy pink with a bright pink big bubbled head that collapses fairly quickly.

Aroma is that of a weak bloody mary. Tomato, onion, chile, salt, pepper and lime. No real beer aroma behind it.

Flavor matches the aroma with the acidity of tomato and lime reinforced by the carbonation and an extra boost from the salt.

Revoke my beer snob card over this if you must, but I'd rather drink this than the usual AB products. It's basically a lightweight bloody mary in a can. Is it great? Nah. Would I buy a ton of it? No, but I wouldn't smack someone for handing it to me in the morning. (Then again I really like V8 and the like)

Here's a much better idea, get some clamato, v8 or tomato juice, a lime, some celery salt and pepper and blend with Old Rasputin.

10-18-2007 09:49:43 | More by drewbage
Van55

Having seen this concoction on the cold beer shelf at several 7-11 stores, curiousity finally got the better of me.

It shouldn't have.

The canned tomato flavor completely overwhelmed any taste of beer. In short, this simply is not a beer. Nor is it a "bloody mary." It wasn't as awful as I had anticipated, however. Still, I won't spend money on it again.

10-11-2007 21:23:47 | More by Van55
pmcadamis

Had to try this oddball after my tour of the brewery in Fort Collins.

A - Pinkish orange and very turbid with a frothy head. Looks like vegetables and ice that have been through a food processor. A shade lighter than V8. Looks nothing at all like beer.

S - V8, seafood, and hot sauce. Smells like bloody mary mix.

T - Hot sauce, tomato puree, V8 with tobasco sauce, and clam juice. This is definitely not my thing, but it sure is unique. It's quite foul.

M - Thick V8 puree viscosity. Feels like drinking spaghetti sauce or vomit.

D - Not for me, but this could be a very viable alternative for those who dig bloody marys or V8, or like to re-ingest their own vomit. This is, along with Cave Creek Chili Beer, the wosrt beer of all time.

10-09-2007 18:28:55 | More by pmcadamis
PhageLab

1.13/5  rDev -34.7%

24oz Can given to me as a sample. I can drink bloody marys, but I'm not a huge fan, and I'm not too educated in the way of the clamato, but here we go.

A - Pink grapefruit juice mildly carbonated, not much head after being poured into a pint glass, which was wierd.

S - Smells faintly of oysters, and tomato juice, almost repulsive, like the kitchen in a seafood restaraunt that hasn't been cleaned.

T - As soon as it hit my tongue I almost vomited, I couldn't finish the sip let alone the beer, my roomate tried it and experienced a similar result.

M - I didn't get to form a solid opinion on this, it didn't stay in my mouth long if that says anything...

D - Maybe if you're extremely desperate to taste seafood in your beer this will be for you, I wouldn't take another free one though.

10-04-2007 18:12:36 | More by PhageLab
buffettfan

Arizona

1.02/5  rDev -41%

This looked intreasting when I poured some into a glass to see what it looked like. Sort of pinkish, with little head, that left almost as soon as I was done pouring. Its smelled like a combo of ripe tomato and low tide. The taste slightly resembled a little tomoto, like a weak, bloody mary that has been sitting on the kitchen counter for 3 weeks.
I am glad I didn't pay for this, and am kind of wishing I never took a sip of it.

10-03-2007 19:34:44 | More by buffettfan
Floydster

24 ounce can given me by my uncle

Had never heard of this before and this was for a reason

Quite possibly the worst thing I have ever drank

Red clam and tomato juice mixed with beer

Potent smell and taste was so salty and just flat out gross

Could never take a sip again as long as I live

09-12-2007 06:21:52 | More by Floydster
HardTarget

3.05/5  rDev +76.3%

Bottle Inspection: Tall boy can (1 pint, 8 oz.) lists 4.7% abv., born on date of 21JUN07 (sampled 06SEP07) and speaks of “Certified Color”. The can feels heavier than it should. Helpful note advised ¡NO AGITE! “Do not shake”. Most of the can is in Spanish, but there is some nutritional information (150 carbs per 12 oz.) and a warning that it contains clams.

Aroma: Very mild Bloody Mary smell, not much going on. Tomato juice, pepper, dash of Worcestershire, you know the drill.

Appearance: I don’t know who certified this color, but this is opaque dark Pink Grapefruit. No head, active carbonation streams.

Flavor: Salty, mild, Bloody Mary. It’s very salty though, I can’t work through the whole can. There is some celery taste, and just a hint of shellfish, which oddly works.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, moderate to high carbonation, and a really oily finish.

Overall Impression: I fully expected to hate this, but it’s not bad! I was looking forward to a vicious thrashing, and I just can’t dish it out. I like Bloody Marys, but they are normally reserved for brutal hangovers in hotel bars. I could see being happy to have this to hold on to at home in similar circumstances. If you don’t like tomato juice, or Bloody Marys, steer very clear. Otherwise, it’s an interesting beer cocktail.

Apologies to GrapeVineJames for stealing this can from him, I owe you one.

09-07-2007 05:36:15 | More by HardTarget
nickl

1.13/5  rDev -34.7%

I tried this last month. It was not in the database so i couldn't upload my review.

There are a lot of restaurants in Austin that serve "Micheladas." These beers are usually macro lagers with hot sauce and salt around the rim and are sometimes tasty. I bought this beer with this in mind. Had I been more informed i would have learned that this beer is made from Bud Light, tomato juice, and clam juice. (by the way i do like Bloody Marys)

The best part about this beer was the "certified" color. It poured ruby red into the glass with a bit of haze. no head and you could see carbonation bubbles.

The beer smelled like the sea. It was an awful smell. I wish i could be more constructive about the smell but it was not a smell tht i have ever smelled from a beer.

It's taste awful too like really bad tomato juice. I guess if you add budlight and clam juice to your Tomato juice it would taste bad. It was easily the worst beer [sic] i have ever had. It wasn't bad like: "hey Bud Light has no taste and thats why it doesn't taste good" it was bad like: "holly crap I need to get rid of this taste in my mouth."

As far as mouthfeel I didn't want to keep it in my mouth. I didn't finish the beer.

I wish I had been more open minded about this beer and i knew more about this style. If you are considering trying this beer be prepared. This should not be considered beer but a mixed drink.

The can says:
Bud Light & Clamato
Con Sal y Limon: La Combinaction Perfecta
Chelada
Bud Light beer with natural flavor and certified color

The side of the can says:
Enjoy the best of two worlds: a refreshing Bud Light and the unique flavor of Clamato. Drink a "Red One", ready to go, or use your favorite ingredients to make it yours - wherever, whenever!

4.2% ALC/VOL
151 Calories / 12 oz
15.6 g Carbs / 12 oz
Contians shellfish / clams

07-20-2007 22:40:44 | More by nickl
Zorro

2.45/5  rDev +41.6%

Oh yeah they make a light beer version of this stuff so I just HAD to make sure it was catalogued in the BA database. If not as a recommendation at least as a fair warning to the curious.

This is the light version of this beer:

In the glass this is a cloudy pink colored beer with a temporary pink head. This is so pink it almost glows.

The smell is salt celery, tomato and pepper. I can't really smell clam in this but it does have the scent of the ocean to it, I can only assume that that must be the clams.

The flavor begins salty and strongly flavored of celery. If there is any difference between this and its regular version it would be that this tastes even more like a Bloody Mary...Beery Mary anyone? It does taste OK and there is a detectable amount of pepper heat in the back of the throat just to let you know that there is some hot pepper in there somewhere. It doesn't taste like beer but it is an OK bloody Mary flavored beer soda.

The mouthfeel is light.

This can costs $3 and I really don't think that this is worth it except as a novelty to try once just so you can talk about it. Just another weird beer in the world like banana lambic.

06-26-2007 05:43:35 | More by Zorro