Brew Masters Private Reserve 2007 - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Doppelbock |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 10-09-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by mmmbeer:
3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

Big-ass 46.5 oz. swing-top bottle, "born-on" Oct. 15, '07 - brewed with four malts, Bavarian hops, and misidentified on the back label as "ale." It pours a crystal-clear, deep reddish-orange, with medium carbonation and two inches of tan head that leaves some sheets of lacing on the glass. Caramel, sweetness, alcohol, and a late dosage of hops in the nose. Very similar on the palate, with caramel and roasted malts, a big, sweet (but not cloying) malt presence, leafy or grassy hops, and a medium bitterness on top of a medium, tingly and dry body. Pretty good for an AB brew, but doesn't really seem like a dopplebock - maybe more of an imperial red lager (think Yuengling on steroids). Worth a try, if only once, and the bottle works great for homebrew.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance - This brew showed off a pretty, rich-looking caramel color with a modest off-white head.

Smell - The caramel theme found its way to the nose. It is big and luscious and full of brown sugar. The aromatic finish is a pleasant, lightly-toasted grain.

Taste - The taste is stronger than the nose would suggest but otherwise follows the pattern of rich caramel and quality toasted grain. The brown and white table sugars here are quite prominent.

Mouthfeel - This beer is bigger than light-bodied but well short of medium with a nice, easy mouthfeel.

Drinkability - The word "pleasant" best describes this Bud, one of the more powerful samples of the AB repertoire.

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%

I admit it. I bought it. I had to try it cause i thought it was really funny. This beer from the "king of beers" ( Ha..egheem!) pours way too transparent for a doppelbock. This "doppelbock" is reddish brown with decent head for the first two minutes that dissipates into a thin ring. The nose is of weak dark fruit. The first taste hints at bock but is seriously lacking in flavor. It is by far the best budweiser brew i have ever had. Then again that is like being the smartest kid with downsyndrome. The taste is ok, some dark fruit flavor, but very thin taste wise. The mouthfeel is a little thin for a bock of any sort. Drinkability is suprisingly high for the 8.5 abv. Average brew. If you must buy budweiser, buy this budweiser. But for 46 oz at $8 I would rather have a good bottle of m sun beer or some cuvee mystique.

2.83/5  rDev -23.9%

A peachy colour with sizzly initial head. Fizzy carbonation, medium mouthfeel with some fruit like matter in it.Neutral smell.A tad of spice. Not too drinkable, but better than I expected.I did not quite like it, thanks for the sample Dan from Oak Park Buy Rite.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Picked up one of these at my local Bi-Lo for a resonable price. Poured into a Duvel glass, this beer looks gorgeous, of course lots a beers look great in that tulip. Actually held its head for a good while. The smell is typical but a bit lacking for a doppel, some caramel, chocolate, and hint of cherry, but overall light on aroma.
Taste is what you would expect for the style, comparing it to others it is a bit light and thin, but nothing off-puting
Thin and clean in terms of feel, alc. is warming, but not overly apparent.
This is not a bad beer, not great, but pretty drinkable, would make a good gift for someone who drinks AB product. A good way to introduce them to the world of beer aside from Bud, and not instantly turn them off.

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

First, a description of the packaging. Although packaging/presentation is not accounted for in the BA score matrix, as beer loving consumers we all have some internal appreciation for it. I suspect we all like nice presentation. Comes in a sturdy reinforced box, as some liquor bottles might. The bottle is 14" high, and VERY heavy, and over 4inches at the base. You could stun a troll with this bottle (and after sipping it, perhaps with the alcohol content as well).

Flouting the trend among flip-top bottles, the top is glazed ceramic not cheap plastic. I know the bottle means nothing to some, but it made me nostalgic for years ago when I could find Fisher Amber flip-tops around here. Might have had something to do with using the bottles for homebrewing.

The description is rather stupid: "once a year the brewmasters capture the richest part of the brew". If they're implying this is the first runoff from a regular Bud batch, I call Bullshit. They go out of their way to make excuses why this kind of beer can't be available year round because maybe they are TOO afraid people will like this. Still, AB is to be commended for possibly introducing a good beer to their regular audience.

Deep -pop- when opening at 62*F. Gray smoke from within. Pours dark caramel - not actually burnt in color, just an incredibly deep hue. Foams generously, and settles slowly until there is a faint edge and center lace. Perfect in appearance.

Smell is weak - dominated by caramel maltiness, with only a hint of hop aroma.

Tastes full sweet rich malty goodness - what you expect in a doppel. Hops are there but not overpowering, coming forward in the finish. The alcohol can not be detected in the taste.

Mouthfeel is just awesome.. you can just let it sit, or keep going for another swallow. Mouthfeel is where you detect the rather high alcohol content.

Sweet and full, you can consume this beer at whatever pace you like. The CO2 levels are very faint, even at warmer temps. This is a beer I wish were available year round.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

My mother actually got this one for me for Christmas and I had been saving it in the fridge for a while, but it the continuing effort to clear out some room, I decided to take this one out last night. The lovely looking 1 liter swing top bottle greeted me right away. I have to admit it was very nice looking. The pour was not bad at all. A nice dark hazelnut brown came off before me. Nice clarity and with a good amount of carbonation streaming up through it as well. The was a good two inches of tan foam on top that settled down nicely and left behind a half inch layer of lace left on top, that slowly draped down the sides of the glass.

The aroma was sweet, with nice hints of caramel and nuts swirling about. The nice smoke-laden smell sitting in the back, and to be honest just not full enough for me, but it was still very nice. A good amount of earthy like downs sitting in it as well. The flavor followed suit almost identically, with the exception of being a little bit fuller. Very nice earthy tone, a good amount of roasted malt, and caramel coming through on the tongue almost immediately. There was a nice touch of grass in the finish, and loads of cereal grain underneath. Alcohol was very well hidden at over 8% so very nicely done there. A good, smooth, creamy Mouthfeel really let it feel very nice and the whole package itself really came off quite well, leading to some bigger then normal sips along the way.

Overall this was a very easy drinker, and I am literally floored that this one came from A-B. This was a most solid offering with loads of flavor and a really well done profile. Very impressed, enough that I would go after this seasonal again next year.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

1 quart, 14.5 oz. according to the label. 8.5% ABV. Pretty cool bottle. Very clear, dark amber color with an off-white foamy head. Some tiny bubbles streaming from the bottom. Good head retention.

Slighty toasty, caramel, and grainy aroma. A bit of an earthy, woody aroma as well.

Sweet, slightly toasty caramel flavor, a bit grainy, but still pretty clean overall. A touch of earthy bitterness to balance tings out.

Light body, a bit too much carbonation. Lacks depth, but still pretty decent. I thought this was good, not great, but good and drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a brown color with ruby tones to it. Light tan head falls to a minimal one leaving thin lace.

Aroma is of sweet malts with alcohol present. Smells rather good actually.

Sweet malt taste. Rather clean actually with no real aftertaste.

Medium bodied in the mouth and very smooth. Low carbonation.

Very easy to drink, I admit, I like this beer.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from the annual holiday flip top quart sized bottle. There presentation on this special holiday brew has always been well done in my opinion.

I was cautiously optimistic when I bought the 2005 Reserve, but was quite impressed with the quality and effort of the big brew masters commerical release to the piqued beer geek.

I did not hesitate to go back for 2006 and was again pleased with the offering.

When I picked up my 2007 bottle I did not really even consider that AB may have shook things up this year. So when I saw a terrible review on BA referencing this "Doppelbock" I took notice and looked extra forward to popping this one.

I am not going to over do the review at this point. Suffice to say this beer is not only a Doppelbock, it is a DAMN FINE Doppelbock. Wonderfully malty and smooth with subtle hints of vanilla and chocolate in the nose, the taste is crisp and clean well defined and inviting.

Buy it. Drink it. And suspend your "craftiness" only comes from anti-macro world thinking for a moment. Cheers to the brewers of this fine worthy brew!

4.28/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another winner from Anheuser-Busch and their Seasonal special Private Reserve stock.
This year it's a great doppelbock. I was actaully looking forward to the strong malt and hops brew like last year, but this was a great surprise.
A nice aroma, (I see soneone listed a buttterscotch flavor), but I'm thinking more like caramel. Strong beer but not overwhelming flavor.
First sip gets you, but the 8.5% is very smooth, and the rest of the bottle goes down easily!
I've seen it as low as $6.99 a bottle (for a quart) so it's really a good price for such an exceptional brew. It's packaged in a great looking box also. Makes it a really unique Christmas gift that's not expensive and it will be sure to please the beer lover you know.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Wow. I did not expect this from this brewer. This was a very drinkable, yet stronger beer with exceptional flavor and aroma. We had this for Thanksgiving dinner, and it went very well with everything. I love how the abv % doesn't try to smack you in the face. You know it's there, but the primary flavors come from the malts. Great, but filling, brew

Cool bottle. brought my eye right to it otherwise my never have tried it.
The beer poored a dark caramel color with a monster head that kept growing. (Be carefull with the poor).
Smell was of strong honey and caramel with a hint of dark malt.
Taste was sweet with "dubble" like caracters. Alchol was not noticable but after the bottle was kicked I felt quit "warm"

3.69/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Budweiser pokal.

I saw this on the discount table at Bar Berry down the street and, frankly, had to no choice but to buy it. It pours a clear amber-garnet topped by a short finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises sweet biscuit, mild caramel, a hint of rye spice, and a kiss of nutmeg. The taste brings in more of the same, with the caramel seeming a bit on the dry, powdery side. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a smooth feel. Overall, not the best d-bock out there, but definitely enjoyable and one the better offerings from AB I've ever had.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - pours a clear orange/brown. A nice cap of soft creamy foam, a finger+ in depth. Falls back slowly with big pocky bubbles. Scattered lacing on the glass that eventually washes away to nothing as does the head.

Aroma - big and doughy, some banana and cookie dough. More toasted malt as it settles. Loses some intensity after it settles, still hanging in there though.

Taste - toasty, bready start, banana and light clove with an underpinning of alcohol. A light sour mashy kind of aftertaste. After some palate adjustment, I wish I could have this blindfolded. I swear it's starting to exhibit Bud character...this better not be beechwood aged! I wouldn't be able to tell anyway.The bottom line, I think this is a most servicaeable doppelbock, one of the best products ever to roll out the A-B door. The finish is a little squirrely but overall I like it.

Mouthfeel - a little below average weight here, could use more body. Carbonation is pretty high for the style but the beer doesn't foam up or leave me overly burpy, so that's good.

Drinkability - gotta give the boys their propers, this beer is pretty good. I'd have it on tap if available, but don't know if I'd buy another bottle. The huge bottle with the flip top is the bees knees, though, and has a future as a homebrew container.

4.72/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2005 version held in cooler in shed poured into Stella Artois tulip glass. I had the pleasure of purchasing a few of these dandy's in 05 and was more than happy to snag the last three at the McLean Ave Beer Distributor on the Bronx border.

After failing to to get sick from the first 2 05's quafed in Q407, I shall now proffer my review, most respectfully.

A: Cloudy opaque orange, full textured index finger head with lots of legs

S: Immediate pervading sweetness combined afterward by sour second aroma. Think of Whoppers without chocolate dropped in for the malt taste.

T: Powerful hops without the acidic zest. Alcohol content comes in afterward but with measured ferocity.

M: Silky smooth with carbonation providing mature base.

D: High for me, the fact that AB can produce something of this strength and taste will have me grabbing for it every time. If Coors can come out with a Belgian Wheat(Blue Moon), what is AB waiting for??? This is a perfect gift for a beer geek or bored beer boy.

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

46.5 oz (beautiful) bottle poured into SA glass. Born on Oct. 05, 2007

A: deep copper with a two finger off-white, almost tan head. pretty good retention gives way to a fine lace ringing the glass

S: somewhat sweet, fruity with caramel and roasted malt

T: malty. roasted and caramel. caramel being the backbone and...fig?

M: has a medium body but still, somehow, manages to be a little thin. smooth with a dry finish. alcohol is mostly hidden

D: Overall, a pretty fine offering. Very drinkable and I'm happy I bought it. Should be gone before Pats v Giants. I smell 16-0.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

I am going to start this off with the fact that this beer was not what I was expecting. I hear special edition dopple bock and I think, great beer. I got this 46.5oz bottle born Oct. 15, 2007 from Total Wine.

Appearance: There was a big head at the beginning, but it quickly dissipated. It is a nice light brown color, nice for a bock beer.

Smell: First of all, it smelled like copper. I can't imagine this beer was bad, but it definitely made me feel like it was. As the beer warmed up, it started to bring up a caramely taste, which made things better.

Taste: Not much better than the smell at first. As it warmed up it started to emulate a dopple bock, but seemed like a poor imitation. Even the lesser dopple bocks I have found taste better than this. I'd have to say this would be a dark, malty Budweiser.

Mouthfeel: Not bad although a little harsh. Cannot tell the alcohol content in this, kind of like a slightly thicker Budweiser.

Drinkability: Not horrible, definitely not great. For $10.99 (sans over-priced Pislner glasses) you would be better off buying a 4- or 6-pack of your favorite dopple bock. It goes down easily, but without great pleasure.

I do not think that Anheuser-Busch came through on this beer. I really hope that this was just a bad bottle, but I doubt it. It was an attempt at making a Bavarian classic, but feel quite a bit short. I would not recommend this to anyone in terms of style, but it was not a bad price for a beer that will get you drunk without making you feel like you are working towards that goal.

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

Eye: Looks good in the glass. Color is iron ore reddish copper and very clear. Head is tan in color but doesn't hold up all that well when it comes to retention, it leaves some spotty lace along the edges of the glass.

Nose: Great aroma on this beer. It takes me back to spring time when doppelbocks abound. Up front lots of sweet malt aromas, dark fruity aromas, some chocolate notes, an earthy aroma, roasted notes, and a hint of a metallic tang. Alcohol is perceivable-perhaps its coming through as a slight spiciness. All in all this is what I expect to find in a doppelbock, would be better without the metallic tang though.

Tongue: Rich malty sweet flavor in this brew balanced out by the warmth, spiciness, and bite of alcohol. Chocolate, roasted, and dark fruit flavors are all present in this brew as well as an overall earthy type of flavor. Really nice Doppelbock, kudos to A-B on this one.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: This brew is medium in body, but at the same time has a watery feel about it that I'm not all that crazy about. The higher level of carbonation seems appropriate given the rather thin body (thin in comparison to other Doppelbocks). The beer is smooth and has finishes with a slick feeling on the palate and a slight warming sensation that fills the mouth, as well as a bit of warmth as it goes down the throat, just a bit of warmth felt most notably in my chest. This is a brew I'll not be opposed to buying again. I think that I'll actually pick another bottle up. Sure its no Ayinger Celebrator, but it is still a quality beer.

4.53/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2007 label

this is one damn fine beer. i am not a huge fan of many macros, with that being said this is brewed by a macro that is not typical.

excellent!

poured a nice amba color. nice carbonation with some light lace. wonderful rich aroma. nice malty taste with nice hoppy finish. i drank the whole bottle me-self. a quart at 8.5%...whew! nice way to warm me bones on a winters day!

try it! suckem up and movem out!!!

giblet

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This review is on the yet-released 2007 edition of the beer. Got a plain label, sample 12oz bottle from a friend at the AB brewery.

This is NOT the same beer as the previous 2 years, it is a dopplebock this year! And a really nice one.

Pours nice dark, clearruby-amber, with tan head that fades into decent lacing. Nice roasted malts smell.

The surprise is the flavor. Roasted malts, apple, pear, molasses and fig notes appear. Another review mentioned butterscotch. Yep, its there..It finishes nice, with a warmth of alcohol. The label is plain white, but says 8.5% alc/vol.

This is by far and away the best AB porduct I have ever had. It rates up with almost any German Dopples I have had--that includes Celebrator. Not better, but damn close. Just as good as my domestic dopple favorite-Tommyknocker Butthead. That says alot.

EDIT: Re-reviewed with the "magnum bottle". Same as the "sample" 12oz I had, but, since there was more, I enjoyed it a bit more. As a dopple-head, myself, this is a worthy beer...this is what I sure wish Budweiser was. I really hope AB can find it's way into making this available year round, in 4-6 packs. Add Acent 54 dunle to that, and wow, you have a winner.

Nicely done, AB. Now, lets see MillerCoors do this, and my faith in the macro might, just might, increase.

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Have to thin out the cellar and saw this in there so I thought now is the time to kill this big bottle.

A - Poured a cloudy brown color with a thin tan head

S - Is of caramel malt dark fruit and a hint of alcohol

T - Follows the nose caramel malt upfront then the dark fruit flavors come out

M - This beer has a thin body with medium carbonation to it

D - This is actually a pretty good beer too bad I only got the one bottle and AB doesn't do this series anymore if you know someone with one of these or see a dusty box at a store pick it up

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

bought downtown, big ole bottle all to myself ...(why did i do this) .... pours a dark brown maroon colour .. a good maltster head on the medium pour .. but the lacing i say needs more work ... there are some nice simple flavours, caramel and maple, things of that sort ... "attire optional" ... shows the alcohol near the end, but it is a pretty good offering from the bud guys... 7-14-08 ..$52 billion offer from inbev for bud today...

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

pours out of the big ass 46.5 oz. magnum a dark garnet colour with a thin fine head. little head retention and therefore sparse lace. an aggressive pour on the second glass produced a bit more eye candy. light fruity doppel aromas...cherries and a cocoa hint. bits of fruitcake and butter. tastes of brown sugar, chocolate and caramel flavours, along with a good dose of fruitcake and fig dominate. a nice spice from the alcohol and a floral hop bouquet meld well with the aforementioned malt profile. warming and tasty. of course the overall body of this special brew could be a bit more bold and more in line with the more regarded doppels in circulation, but it holds up this one just fine. in fact, the mouthfeel may seem a bit thin, but after a glass or two it seems to be just perfect for this particular offering. drinkability is very good, i should have no problem slurping this magnum down over the course of an evening.

it's not celebrator or salvator, but definitely worthy of praise coming from A-B. in spite of the price, i'd say it's worth it. nice packaging, nice bottle, nice beer. perfect for a cold december saturday night.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »