Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Reviews by Mistofminn:
3.36/5  rDev +14.3%

Had this on tap at Burrito Loco when out after work with some co-workers sometime last week.

This is Anheuser-Busch's lesser known stab at taking away some of Coors Blue Moon sales. I have to say, I'm definitely going to choose Blue Moon over this every time.

So I never actually intended on ordering this. Pints where two for ones, and I ordered a Grain Belt (cheapest on the menu). After the first pint, the keg ran out, and the bartender said I could have anything else they have on tap as a substitute. "Fat Tire" I said. "Oh...sorry that kegs empty too." Ok... So naturally I chose the only beer on tap that I had never had before. I knew Shock Top was an AB beer, but I really didn't care. I thought it was worth giving a shot.

Definitely looks like a typical Belgian Wit. Served with an orange slice, beer is a hazy light golden color. Lively carbonation, and surprising head. Also, impressive lacing, wasn't expecting that.

The nose is typical of a cheaper Belgian Wit. Much like Blue Moon, but a little more watered down. Very light citrus and spice nose.

Taste is much what you would expect, watered down. Not saying it's bad, but it's just not doing it for me. There is some glinks of great taste, but they are too watered down for my taste.

Body is light to medium, leaning towards the light side. Ample carbonation makes for a crisp brew. This one, believe it or not, is pretty dang refreshing on a hot humid afternoon. Very high drinkability, very easy going down.

I'm not going to say I'm a fan. But I will say this. If I'm ever in the situation again where my only choices are this or no beer, I'm going to reach for this. It's not terrible, I just like Blue Moon better.

For what it's worth, I would take this over any other Anheuser-Busch product any day.

3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Get all preconceived notions out of your head before drinking....

Don't think about who it was made by
Don't view it as a crafty beer

Just drink. It's pretty refreshing! I would say on a blind test that it has an adjunct light base, but ramped up slightly with some depth and nicer mouthfeel. Looks pretty good too.

As long as this stays in the correct price range (lower end) it's a decent and tasty alternative to the piss filth Anheuser-Busch pumps out otherwise.

Cheers

2.25/5  rDev -23.5%

2.5/5  rDev -15%

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

2.87/5  rDev -2.4%

An interesting pale hue of cloudy golden orange. There was some white soapy suds on the top that quickly faded. No lacing to note.

The aroma was interesting. I would not let them serve this with the 'mandatory' orange slice that they wanted to include but I swear there was still a faint hint of orange on the nose. Odd because I sure didn't taste any orange. Some light wheat & malt did make it past the orange but that was about it. A pleasant aroma, if not very traditional.

Well, the taste wasn't what I was expecting after such a fruity nose. This tasted like a cross between a wheat beer and a grand cru - some spice, some notes of lemon zest, and a little wheat chafe, but overall rather weak on the palate. Everything sort of falls apart on the tongue and leaves you with a watery, somewhat bitter finish.

I was very hot and thirsty when I purchased this and the first few sips did the trick of quenching my thirst. After about half a glass though as the brew warmed up, it got harder and harder to get it down. The last quarter was just a straight up shot - finally gone.

I guess I'm just turning into a beer snob a bit but I really didn't care for this. There are so many other representations of the style that are so much better. My advice would be to check the others out first if you can.

1.75/5  rDev -40.5%

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

3.94/5  rDev +34%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a Hooegaarden glass

Look: similar to other Belgian whites/hefeweissens. Cloudy but didn't hold head very long
Smell: citrus and spice
Feel: good, a full feel -- tempted to swish it around
Taste: very drinkable but lacking somewhat in the full flavors of top notch whites
Overall: very good but not the equal of best imports or Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

2.5/5  rDev -15%