Microbrew Invitational

Shock Top Belgian WhiteShock Top Belgian White

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Witbier

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

Added by Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

Reviews: 784 | Ratings: 3,605
Reviews by ThePaintedGrey:
2.42/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured poorly by a friend from a bottle into a pint glass a few days ago (jotted notes in my phone for review purposes, because I'm THAT guy).

A: Pale, cloudy gold-orange hybrid color. A bit more transparent and less color intensity than its most famous comparison, Blue Moon. Head didn't retain very well--dissipated to a very lackluster white lace, reminiscent of a light lager. This might have been a result of the poor pouring job. Not something I'd look at and think, "Damn. I want what he/she is drinking."

S: Orange above all, by my nose. Hints (very small hints) of coriander upon second or third sniff. Not a very aromatic beer, in my opinion.

T: Very orangey. Very fake. It's almost as though someone dropped an orange-flavored hardcandy in my beer. It's almost sour at points. If you concentrate really hard, you might find some wheat in there, hidden amongst the orange. I see what they were going for, but it wasn't executed well.

M: Mild to moderate carbonation. It almost feels soda-like in my mouth; it's light and crisp. It's not particularly bad, but it's not what I was hoping for, nor what I look for.

O: In a bit of harsh honesty, I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this and Anheuser-Busch didn't do a great job of changing my mind. While it's certainly not the worst beer I've had, it's definitely low on the list. It just comes off too... I don't know... Artificial tasting. I suppose this beer is acceptable if your only other choices are light beers, or if you're trying to open to door for someone to stray away from light beers; otherwise, it's best to leave this one on the shelf.

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Get all preconceived notions out of your head before drinking....

Don't think about who it was made by
Don't view it as a crafty beer

Just drink. It's pretty refreshing! I would say on a blind test that it has an adjunct light base, but ramped up slightly with some depth and nicer mouthfeel. Looks pretty good too.

As long as this stays in the correct price range (lower end) it's a decent and tasty alternative to the piss filth Anheuser-Busch pumps out otherwise.

Cheers

1.37/5  rDev -54.5%

Pour out of a twist top 12 ounce bottle into a tall glass

Pours orange with a foamy off white head

Belgian yeast smell up front not much else

Watery, some orange fresca taste

Well carbonated

So far off from the style. Not even close. Fresca fermented with Belgian yeast isn't a wit beer. Sorry AB.

1.2/5  rDev -60.1%

I tried shock top because I heard it was all the rave. Then I found it was made by Bud, strike one. I drank 5 of them and had to choke them down, it had a very strong orange taste to it which actually is sickening. Bud is trying to get into the micro brew market but they cant because they simply cannot amke a decent beer.

2.25/5  rDev -25.2%

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

2.87/5  rDev -4.7%

An interesting pale hue of cloudy golden orange. There was some white soapy suds on the top that quickly faded. No lacing to note.

The aroma was interesting. I would not let them serve this with the 'mandatory' orange slice that they wanted to include but I swear there was still a faint hint of orange on the nose. Odd because I sure didn't taste any orange. Some light wheat & malt did make it past the orange but that was about it. A pleasant aroma, if not very traditional.

Well, the taste wasn't what I was expecting after such a fruity nose. This tasted like a cross between a wheat beer and a grand cru - some spice, some notes of lemon zest, and a little wheat chafe, but overall rather weak on the palate. Everything sort of falls apart on the tongue and leaves you with a watery, somewhat bitter finish.

I was very hot and thirsty when I purchased this and the first few sips did the trick of quenching my thirst. After about half a glass though as the brew warmed up, it got harder and harder to get it down. The last quarter was just a straight up shot - finally gone.

I guess I'm just turning into a beer snob a bit but I really didn't care for this. There are so many other representations of the style that are so much better. My advice would be to check the others out first if you can.

1.75/5  rDev -41.9%

2.82/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

4.5/5  rDev +49.5%

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

3.94/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a Hooegaarden glass

Look: similar to other Belgian whites/hefeweissens. Cloudy but didn't hold head very long
Smell: citrus and spice
Feel: good, a full feel -- tempted to swish it around
Taste: very drinkable but lacking somewhat in the full flavors of top notch whites
Overall: very good but not the equal of best imports or Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%