Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Reviews by fdrich29:
2.25/5  rDev -23.5%

There's a picture of an orange wedge wearing green tinted sunglasses and an orange mohawk. Anheuser-Busch Inc. presents "Shock Top Belgian White" a Belgian Style Wheat Ale Brewed With Spices. It goes on to say it's "Brewed with Orange, Lemon & Lime Peels and Coriander". My beer was born on 21 May 2008. Freshest taste within 110 days. I'll consider myself lucky then.

In all fairness the person who picked this out for me did so because she knows I enjoy Belgians and didn't realize it was a A-B product until we took them out of the fridge. I really appreciate her effort to choose a beer style she knew I enjoyed, it's absolutely the thought that counts.

I'm not going to go through all the components of a proper review. I taste some of the citrus and the coriander, as advertised.
The rest we'll file under "If you don't have something nice to say..."

2.5/5  rDev -15%

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

2.85/5  rDev -3.1%

An interesting pale hue of cloudy golden orange. There was some white soapy suds on the top that quickly faded. No lacing to note.

The aroma was interesting. I would not let them serve this with the 'mandatory' orange slice that they wanted to include but I swear there was still a faint hint of orange on the nose. Odd because I sure didn't taste any orange. Some light wheat & malt did make it past the orange but that was about it. A pleasant aroma, if not very traditional.

Well, the taste wasn't what I was expecting after such a fruity nose. This tasted like a cross between a wheat beer and a grand cru - some spice, some notes of lemon zest, and a little wheat chafe, but overall rather weak on the palate. Everything sort of falls apart on the tongue and leaves you with a watery, somewhat bitter finish.

I was very hot and thirsty when I purchased this and the first few sips did the trick of quenching my thirst. After about half a glass though as the brew warmed up, it got harder and harder to get it down. The last quarter was just a straight up shot - finally gone.

I guess I'm just turning into a beer snob a bit but I really didn't care for this. There are so many other representations of the style that are so much better. My advice would be to check the others out first if you can.

1.75/5  rDev -40.5%

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

3.93/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a Hooegaarden glass

Look: similar to other Belgian whites/hefeweissens. Cloudy but didn't hold head very long
Smell: citrus and spice
Feel: good, a full feel -- tempted to swish it around
Taste: very drinkable but lacking somewhat in the full flavors of top notch whites
Overall: very good but not the equal of best imports or Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

2.5/5  rDev -15%