Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,351 | Reviews: 819

I can understand some of the reviews. It is a sweet beer, but I like the sweeter wines (Riesling). So, this beer is perfect for me. It has a nice hint of citrus and is so smooth. I find the stouts and many other beers bitter. This would be the beer for people who enjoy desert wines. I love it!

This is the beer that started it all for me. The one that got me into beer, not the first I had tried, but the one that made me give beer another shot. After trying a couple of horrendous mainstream options, this one wet my whistle for trying more. I still love it to this day, but only on tap. Out of the bottle, it does not taste even remotely the same to me. On tap at a bar though, delicious.

Will continue to purchase and drink from time to time, even while on this journey of beer.

awesome fuckin beer not the best but def the best beer to take to a party because no one will drink it because they have no clue how great this beer is you will have it all to yourself

A great beer that has a good citrusy after taste. before you drink this be sure to swirl and carefuly tip upside down to mix properly to get all the flavors ..this is a beer for seahawks fans cause this is all we drink at century link feild..let's go hawks!!

this is so much better than some of the other beers in this category light clean tasty!

12oz bottle
3 finger head,very cloudy,golden orange color
a very citrus smell alomost like oranges
taste like oranges and tropical fruits
very smooth and a little malty
very drinkable i would not turn this down if offered to me

this is michelobs best and yet im not a fan of michelob but they get my vote on this one.i could have a session with this.A+ in my book!!!!

4.85/5  rDev +65%

This, again is similar to my favorite beer, Blue Moon. I enjoy this beer and have had it both from bottles and on tap. It has a light, golden appearance with a citrus style flavor. Little head, but the head that is there is a creamy light head. This beer is also great with a orange in it.

4.79/5  rDev +62.9%

Shows a little cloudy but a nice smooth beer

4.76/5  rDev +61.9%

beer is Great smooth had one earlier today with burrito EXCELLENT SHOCK TOP Belgium White @irnva

4.7/5  rDev +59.9%

The smell was of spicy hobs and citrus flavors. The look was gold/orange. Overall the taste was light and refreshing. I would definitely recommend.

4.6/5  rDev +56.5%

I have had shock top in a bottle and on-tap and it is so much more flavorful on tap.

A- pretty much what you would expect out of a "orange inspired" wheat bear. Orange in color, appearance is similar to "Blue Moon."

S- hints of citrus.

T- very smooth with an aftertaste that makes you crave more. No need to "fruit the beer," because the slice of an orange is not necessary.

D- a very drinkable beer. Smooth enough to drink several, but refined enough to save for a desert beer.

4.55/5  rDev +54.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Smells fruity and citrusy and tastes citrusy with a dash of spice. Really great anytime of the year but preferably during the summer with all the sweet tastes. Would recommend!

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

Good taste. Better with an orange

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

Color: Pours a cloudy yellow-white color with a small but foamy head.

Aroma: Coriander and orange peel in the aroma. Appetizing smell but will the taste match up? So far, so good.

Taste: Nice and wheaty. Orange peel and coriander make their presence known upfront. Pleasant and like eating an orange. Goes down smooth. No goofy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Never too dry or wet. Smooth.

Verdict: I actually like this witbier. It's smooth, decent and interesting introduction to the style. I will give A-B credit for this one.

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

We saw this beer by chance in a local wine shop and figured we'd try it.

The beer has a very nice color, good head, good carbonation, and nice citrus refreshing flavor.

This beer is a lot like blue moon, just a little more mild and smooth of a flavor, and a tad more citrusy.

I like it, so does my bud...we'll definately buy it again.

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

Appearance - Slightly cloudy orange but clears up a bit after pour.

Smell - Citrus, orange with a hint of wheat

Taste - Like summer exploded in your mouth and said "I'm here!!"

Mouthfeel - Pretty light and smooth

Overall - Definitely one of my top favorite. It's light, smooth, refreshing and not overbearing.

4.48/5  rDev +52.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Shock Top taste great UNLESS you do not read the bottle. With this beer it is important that you pour the beer into a mug except for about an inch of beer in the bottle. At this point you need to swish around the beer in the bottom of the bottle to get the sediment out and dump into your glass. You will have a much better tasting beer. I also recommend squeezing a slice of orange into the beer for a more citrus flavor.

4.47/5  rDev +52%

When the waitress delivered my Shock Top, I admit that my expectations were low because there was an orange slice on the glass (the nerve!). I've always kind of thought that you serve orange slices with fruity beverages with even fruiter names, not beer! At any rate, I decided to keep an open mind, and I'm glad I did.

The yellow-gold-colored beer had a light, frothy head and a mouthwatering aroma reminiscent of a fruit basket. When the first sip of brew hit my tongue, I immediately understood where this drink got its name. The flavor shocked my taste buds with orange, lemon, and lime. As I washed it down, I was left feeling refreshed. This Belgian-style wheat ale is low on the bitterness ("hoppiness") and has plenty of flavor to go around. The quaffable libation really hit the spot on a warm day.

I was surprised to find that Shock Top is brewed by Anheuser-Busch. I tend to overlook mega-breweries when I'm searching for a new great-tasting beer. I feel like they are all about production and not so interested in creating innovative, flavorful varieties of beer. Thank you, Anheuser-Busch, for making me drink my words. I'll be back for more.

4.43/5  rDev +50.7%

Had in a bottle

A: This beer has a cloudy pale golden color with a 1" head that laces the glass

S: This beer has a nice wheat and citrus smell

T: You can taste the Orange and coriander in this beer

M: This beer goes down real smooth

D: This is a witbier that I will drink again.

4.36/5  rDev +48.3%

Unfiltered, orange body with a white, frothy head that dissipates into a ring of foam.

Aroma: wheat backbone; coriander; citrus.

Taste: citrus and coriander in the beginning; minimal hop bite at the end; wheat and orange aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: light to medium; carbonated.

Finish: mostly dry, crisp, and refreshing.

4.35/5  rDev +48%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer would definitely go under the category of summer beer. It's a crisp yellow color that goes along with its' taste and smell. When you first smell it is strong with yeast and citrus. When tasted it definitely has more body and diversity with a spice flavor on top of the citrus. Overall easy to drink and would be refreshing on a hot day.

4.32/5  rDev +46.9%

When this beer first came out, I bought myself a six pack, and wasn't overly impressed. It poured a nice deep gold color, with a decent finger of head, but the taste wasn't really up to par. But down at the local pub they had it on tap, so i decided to give it another go. It was, in my opinion, better on tap. And the fact that they served it with a few orange slices made it that much better.

I'd say this is a decent witbier, and a honorable attempt by Anhueser Busch at making a seasonal micro-brew.

4.3/5  rDev +46.3%

I have had this beer both on tap and bottled. In both cases it has been superior to many Belgian whites brewed by microbreweries. It is certainly not Hoegaarden, but it is half the price. It goes down really easy, and like all good white beers, it is a real treat on a hot summer day. It puts a smile on my face!!!!

4.3/5  rDev +46.3%

I picked up a six pack of this from a 7/11 store. Wow, was I surprised. I was a little wary after seeing it was made by AB but wow, this turned out to be a nice surprise. Pours a light lightly cloudy amber color. Has a nice head that stayed around longer than I thought it would. Tasted lightly of orange, mango, and corlander. I do not usualy like fruity tasting beers but this one was just right. It was very refreshing and really good. I have no problem buying another 6 pack of this surprisingly good beer.

4.26/5  rDev +44.9%

They just started carrying this at the local Olive Garden. It is tasty and I like the way it looks ...cloudy with character. It's very smooth beer with a nice but minimal citrus taste.. if you like a smooth beer with some character, this is pretty good stuff. If you think your beer needs to taste like a hops covered shoe dipped in alcohol and with dirt added for color, this isn't going to cut it..

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch