1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Belgian WhiteShock Top Belgian White

poor

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,417 | Reviews: 668 | Show All Ratings:
wray7276

12oz bottle
3 finger head,very cloudy,golden orange color
a very citrus smell alomost like oranges
taste like oranges and tropical fruits
very smooth and a little malty
very drinkable i would not turn this down if offered to me

this is michelobs best and yet im not a fan of michelob but they get my vote on this one.i could have a session with this.A+ in my book!!!!

11-02-2010 23:54:38 | More by wray7276
cmp26

A great beer that has a good citrusy after taste. before you drink this be sure to swirl and carefuly tip upside down to mix properly to get all the flavors ..this is a beer for seahawks fans cause this is all we drink at century link feild..let's go hawks!!

03-25-2013 05:35:56 | More by cmp26
sharlie

4.88/5  rDev +64.3%

This, again is similar to my favorite beer, Blue Moon. I enjoy this beer and have had it both from bottles and on tap. It has a light, golden appearance with a citrus style flavor. Little head, but the head that is there is a creamy light head. This beer is also great with a orange in it.

04-29-2013 12:36:02 | More by sharlie
baller1013

4.65/5  rDev +56.6%

I have had shock top in a bottle and on-tap and it is so much more flavorful on tap.

A- pretty much what you would expect out of a "orange inspired" wheat bear. Orange in color, appearance is similar to "Blue Moon."

S- hints of citrus.

T- very smooth with an aftertaste that makes you crave more. No need to "fruit the beer," because the slice of an orange is not necessary.

D- a very drinkable beer. Smooth enough to drink several, but refined enough to save for a desert beer.

12-16-2009 23:57:11 | More by baller1013
Brad007

Vermont

4.5/5  rDev +51.5%

Color: Pours a cloudy yellow-white color with a small but foamy head.

Aroma: Coriander and orange peel in the aroma. Appetizing smell but will the taste match up? So far, so good.

Taste: Nice and wheaty. Orange peel and coriander make their presence known upfront. Pleasant and like eating an orange. Goes down smooth. No goofy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Never too dry or wet. Smooth.

Verdict: I actually like this witbier. It's smooth, decent and interesting introduction to the style. I will give A-B credit for this one.

02-16-2008 01:51:39 | More by Brad007
Bergenboy1981

4.5/5  rDev +51.5%

We saw this beer by chance in a local wine shop and figured we'd try it.

The beer has a very nice color, good head, good carbonation, and nice citrus refreshing flavor.

This beer is a lot like blue moon, just a little more mild and smooth of a flavor, and a tad more citrusy.

I like it, so does my bud...we'll definately buy it again.

03-09-2008 04:05:34 | More by Bergenboy1981
brauchj1

4.5/5  rDev +51.5%

Appearance - Slightly cloudy orange but clears up a bit after pour.

Smell - Citrus, orange with a hint of wheat

Taste - Like summer exploded in your mouth and said "I'm here!!"

Mouthfeel - Pretty light and smooth

Overall - Definitely one of my top favorite. It's light, smooth, refreshing and not overbearing.

04-11-2012 23:35:01 | More by brauchj1
JustinMann

4.47/5  rDev +50.5%

When the waitress delivered my Shock Top, I admit that my expectations were low because there was an orange slice on the glass (the nerve!). I've always kind of thought that you serve orange slices with fruity beverages with even fruiter names, not beer! At any rate, I decided to keep an open mind, and I'm glad I did.

The yellow-gold-colored beer had a light, frothy head and a mouthwatering aroma reminiscent of a fruit basket. When the first sip of brew hit my tongue, I immediately understood where this drink got its name. The flavor shocked my taste buds with orange, lemon, and lime. As I washed it down, I was left feeling refreshed. This Belgian-style wheat ale is low on the bitterness ("hoppiness") and has plenty of flavor to go around. The quaffable libation really hit the spot on a warm day.

I was surprised to find that Shock Top is brewed by Anheuser-Busch. I tend to overlook mega-breweries when I'm searching for a new great-tasting beer. I feel like they are all about production and not so interested in creating innovative, flavorful varieties of beer. Thank you, Anheuser-Busch, for making me drink my words. I'll be back for more.

10-16-2011 00:03:20 | More by JustinMann
MikeRa

4.45/5  rDev +49.8%

Had in a bottle

A: This beer has a cloudy pale golden color with a 1" head that laces the glass

S: This beer has a nice wheat and citrus smell

T: You can taste the Orange and coriander in this beer

M: This beer goes down real smooth

D: This is a witbier that I will drink again.

01-19-2011 04:20:56 | More by MikeRa
AbrahamRobert

4.33/5  rDev +45.8%

When this beer first came out, I bought myself a six pack, and wasn't overly impressed. It poured a nice deep gold color, with a decent finger of head, but the taste wasn't really up to par. But down at the local pub they had it on tap, so i decided to give it another go. It was, in my opinion, better on tap. And the fact that they served it with a few orange slices made it that much better.

I'd say this is a decent witbier, and a honorable attempt by Anhueser Busch at making a seasonal micro-brew.

05-03-2008 18:51:27 | More by AbrahamRobert
likethetaste

4.33/5  rDev +45.8%

I picked up a six pack of this from a 7/11 store. Wow, was I surprised. I was a little wary after seeing it was made by AB but wow, this turned out to be a nice surprise. Pours a light lightly cloudy amber color. Has a nice head that stayed around longer than I thought it would. Tasted lightly of orange, mango, and corlander. I do not usualy like fruity tasting beers but this one was just right. It was very refreshing and really good. I have no problem buying another 6 pack of this surprisingly good beer.

11-24-2008 00:25:43 | More by likethetaste
Jeromez48

4.33/5  rDev +45.8%

I have had this beer both on tap and bottled. In both cases it has been superior to many Belgian whites brewed by microbreweries. It is certainly not Hoegaarden, but it is half the price. It goes down really easy, and like all good white beers, it is a real treat on a hot summer day. It puts a smile on my face!!!!

09-02-2012 01:23:10 | More by Jeromez48
Kemmerlin

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev +43.1%

A: A thin light head crowned the glass supporting a little cloudy orange appearance like a fuzzy navel.

S: Light smells of spicey orange with summer hay.

T: A very strong wheat beer taste with good citrus notes and a slightly bitter aftertaste.

M/D: Light and bubbly, it was not grainy nor heavy which made it very good to drink and something that I would highly recommend.

05-28-2008 00:46:29 | More by Kemmerlin
IMincedTheKing

4.22/5  rDev +42.1%

I've been trying a lot of witbiers, because I really enjoy the style, and even though this is an Anheuser-Busch product, I thought I'd give it a shot for the sake of completeness. And as a mass-marketed witbier, I figured it'd be at least palatable.

Let's discuss the label: An orange-wedge with a wheat mohawk wearing sunglasses. The packaging screams summer, even though it's available year round. I'm not sure the market they're after: either middleschoolers, or people who don't like beer and play too much minesweeper. I'm not rating the package, but this gets a D.

The pour is impressive, though. A cloudy, lemon juice yellow with a big, active, snowy head. The head fades fast to a thin layer, but that does stay around a while.

My initial thought was, "It smells like beer." However, on closer inspection, yeast, spice, and orange are present. The yeast isn't that funky, and it's actually a nice aroma. So far, I'm really surprised.

Now the moment of truth: A sip, and it's kind of delicious. Big orange character, and spice is playing all over.The yeast is minimal, the wheat provides a good backbone, and the mouthfeel--soft yet prickly carbonation with a medium body--is spot-on. Not the best tasting witbier I've ever had, but very appealling.

Coming from Anheuser-Busch, this is a hell of a beer; lots of points for "drinkability". At the very least, I'd have to say it holds it's own against Blue Moon and Hoegaarden, and I even find it preferable to several craft brews.

Credit where credit's deserved. Good brew, AB.

04-22-2009 22:01:48 | More by IMincedTheKing
NaLoGra

4.22/5  rDev +42.1%

I really enjoy this beer during the day at a BBQ or just hanging out outside. Its a great refreshing beer with that witbeer flavor to it. Very fruity and light mouthfeel, and easy to drink.

Much to my enjoyment, it doesn't give you that overwhelming fake fruit taste like budlight lime or miller chill does. I would much rather enjoy the calmer and more natural notes of orange in this beer than other Anheuser-Busch citrus infused beers.

05-22-2011 22:16:28 | More by NaLoGra
kdawg105

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev +39.7%

I really like this Belgian White it has the appearance of what you would expect with its style smell though, threw me a little hopping for a little more citrus notes beings it is advertised on bottle, but the beer has great taste easy to drink anytime! I would buy another 6 pack of it!

02-05-2012 18:43:11 | More by kdawg105
beervocate

British Columbia (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A perfect summer treat...

Not the type of beer you would bring to a house party or have more than two in one sitting. But yes, on a hot summer day on the boat or relaxing on a patio it is what the Dr. ordered. I think that some people (not all) don't give it a fair shake because of the Anheuser-Busch name.

A: Musky orange, not much head

S: Not much of a smell but a hint of citrus/coriander

T: You can definitely taste the orange (but what were you expecting with the orange with the mohawk symbol) Delicious, Light, Sweet taste.

M: Lightly carbonated on top but the bottle seemed to provide slightly more carbonation. Crisp and refreshing all the way down.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, it may not be everyone's taste, it isn't your standard Wit, but its good in it's own way.

09-13-2013 20:08:24 | More by beervocate
IntriqKen

4.1/5  rDev +38%

Pours a beautiful cloudy orange with some golden notes. Impressive 2-1/2 finger dense white head that lasts a long time with some sticky lace...not real mapping, but lacing none-the-less.

Aroma is rich in oranges, corriander, and a light bready yeast smell.

Taste is true to form with slightly sweet wheat malt surrounded with orange and orange peel, spice, white pepper, and lemon.

Mouthfeel is clean and dry.
Very refreshing.

04-26-2008 20:05:08 | More by IntriqKen
richwalpole

4.1/5  rDev +38%

I'm a big fan of belgian whites,with that said this isn't my favorite. although im a big fan....great taste and scent on this one. a slice of orange compliments it well.im just starting to experiment with beers so we shall see how my opinion changes after time. two thumbs up

01-12-2013 07:38:41 | More by richwalpole
jjamadorphd

4.1/5  rDev +38%

Another good Shock Top offering...

I was impressed with the good gold color of the beer. These Belgian's don't always impress me with their hue but this one looks good. Unfortunately, little to no head, and no staying power - but it was a very bright white color - I'll give it that. I also liked the soothing wheat smell mixed in with hops - it was just right. The carbonation was just right, and the taste was exactly what I smelled, which is a big plus up for me. Overall, I was impressed - it was smooth and refreshing, while packing a decent punch.

08-17-2013 02:22:01 | More by jjamadorphd
hdofu

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev +36.4%

A cloudy yellow beer with not a great deal of head. Smell was pleasantly spicey. Taste was better then Blue Moon, having alot of fruit and spices going on in the finish, but it had a bitter taste that seems to be trademark in every macrobrewed beer I've ever had. Mouthfeel was very bubbly, the carbonation got me quite bloated. Still I wouldn't have minded a second. In my oppinion it's not the greatest beer ever, but it is a pleasent drinkable white beer.

09-21-2008 22:48:02 | More by hdofu
Stunner97

4.05/5  rDev +36.4%

Appearance- cloudy and murky as can be with low carbonation, golden orange to yellow in color

Smell- slight wheat, with a lot of citrus tones manly a lot of orange, very fruit forward smell

Taste- pretty good mix of a wheat beer with orange fruit flavor, like this one a bit more then i think i did the first time i had it, I think what i appreciate the most about the flavor of this one is that it doesnt go to overboard in anyone aspect, the wheat isnt over powering and neither is the orange though is definitely very present, a good refreshing finish,

Mouthfeel- Light crisp and refreshing body with little to moderate carbonation

Drinkabilty- Like this one alot more then i remembered or thought I actually would, for someone whos not always a huge fan of these styles this is actually a pretty good beer of the style, a nice beer for a nice warm summer nite, a little sweet but still one i could picture as an ocassional sessioner

04-27-2009 03:30:18 | More by Stunner97
vicg12

4.05/5  rDev +36.4%

Very good beer, enjoyed alot. Good job Anheuser Busch, for a change. Simular to Sunset wheat but less fruity and jsut all around better, waves above blue moon, and very simular to Longboard. Hopefully this will mean better, higher quality beers to come from Anheuser Busch. Time will tell.

Appearance - Golden and cloudy some what,inviting with a low carbonation.

Smell - citrus and slightly flowery

Taste - again citrus and easyly tell it's a wheat beer.

Mouthfeel - slighty thin and on the light side, not watery though and has lots of flavor.

Drinkability - high drinkability, can suck theese down all day.

09-22-2009 17:37:21 | More by vicg12
CoffeenCamaros

Maine

4.05/5  rDev +36.4%

Overall, not a terribly impressive beer. It is not what you would want to expect in a quality beer, and the color and some of the taste seems like it may be artificial.

But, on the other hand, it tastes good, and goes down real easy. It is citrusy, making it a great beer for a hot summer day.

03-08-2010 22:02:20 | More by CoffeenCamaros
scottmbolt

4.05/5  rDev +36.4%

Anheuser-Busch's answer to Blue Moon. The problem with reviewing this beer is that I found myself constantly comparing it to BM, because they are so close in nature. However, this beer presently surprised me. It has a nice touch of sweetness, but not too much - which makes it well balanced. Maybe a hint of bitterness would make it an even better choice, but then again, it is a Anheuser-Busch brew. The color is very nice - a pale orange that reminds you of the summer months. It smells exactly like a Blue Moon, but it has a distinct difference in taste.

Overall, like some others have said, if I had the choice between the usual American brews at a bar/restaurant and this one, and no other micro-brews were available, this would be my choice.

02-11-2011 15:45:52 | More by scottmbolt