Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,351 | Reviews: 819
3.97/5  rDev +35%

Appearance: Looks like solid orange from bottle. Did not pour this, but it looks pretty good overall.

Smell: Strong citrus. Both lemon and orange. Lots of hops as well. Pleasant to smell.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Initial hops and citrus. Smooth mouthfeel as well. Very good.

Drinkability: A good tailgate brew. Thumbs up!

Overall: Might be a tad bit better than Blue Moon. Try it.

3.97/5  rDev +35%

Smells like orange/citrus and grassy. It is kind of heavy tasting with citrus accents.

3.97/5  rDev +35%

As the bottle shows, This is a summer beer. Taste good on a hot day or a warm summer night. While its got a good drinkability it does fill you up eventually. Not like other beers than make you have the "munchies" This is a good relaxing beer not really a party beer in my opinon. Has the great wheat taste with hints of orange. Beer is cloudy tho which is normal of most wheat beers ive had.

3.97/5  rDev +35%

Appearance- Good wheat beer appearance. Cloudy golden color. Produced about a 2 finger head that fizzled to 1, then remained for about half the beer, and left decent lacing.

Smell- Really good smell. You can smell the hops and malt of the beer as well as a citrus smell. A little sweet, but thats with I expect in a wheat beer.

Taste- Great taste, Slight bitterness, slight sweetness, and a distingishable citrus taste.

Mouthfeel- Excellent mouthfeel. Not watery, slightly dry but not too much.

Drinkablitlity- A good beer, but not something I could drink a lot of. Good to kick back and relax with a couple of beers.

Very good Belgian white. If you like Blue Moon or other wheat beers like Leinenkugel, try this one. Also very good with an orange slice. It really complements the citrus taste and the chillability of this beer. Found this beer on sale at $6 a 6-pack, definitely worth that.

Love the logo on the bottle btw, an orange with a wheat mohawk and sunglasses, very cool look.

3.97/5  rDev +35%

A: A brighter yellow, albeit hazey. One finger head with decent retention.

S: Bold citrus smell with hints of wheat and grains. The orange smell was the most prominent.

T: Lemony and hints of orange, with wheat and hops complimenting. Very refreshing.

M: Crisp, healthy dose of carbonation with a clean finish.

Overall: One of the more refreshing beers out there. Very drinkable but a punch of fruity flavor. It's a shame that most beers out there are either fruity or not fruity, and I have yet to find a beer that has middle-ground. This beer comes close to that medium and is an overall good beer.

3.97/5  rDev +35%

Overall, not a terribly impressive beer. It is not what you would want to expect in a quality beer, and the color and some of the taste seems like it may be artificial.

But, on the other hand, it tastes good, and goes down real easy. It is citrusy, making it a great beer for a hot summer day.

3.95/5  rDev +34.4%

i've had the spring heat, spiced wheat so i'm going to copy and paste the old review, and see if i think its any different

(as soon as i crack the bottle open i can smell citrus, it smells really good. pours a light yellow haze with some chunks in it, almost looks like lemonade. Smells citrusy above all, its hard to pick out other scents, but it is pleasant. The taste is not nearly as citrusy as the smell, but it is still good, a TINY bit too watery but thats understandable, it is A-B. Its a warm day here in St.Louis and this beer really hits the mark, this sixer wont last long, i'm really diggin this beer, one of the best of the A-B beers i've had, i really think they are trying to expand their beer horizons =) )

i'm definetly glad to see this beer back, i think its a pretty good beer to get for like 6 bucks a sixer, its a good deal.

3.95/5  rDev +34.4%

Sampled in a bottle back on 11/20/13. Chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a pilsner glass.

I had this on tap many times before, especially back in Orlando and was served with a orange slice. From the Shock Top Brewing Company in St. Louis (the Bud folks), their "SHOCK TOP ~ BELGIAN WHITE" pours a hazy orange-yellow in color with a 2-finger fizzy white head that doesn't last long. Above average carbonation. Some spotty lacing was seen. The aroma is of some grains with some citrus and spice. The taste was the same and a little 'watered down' like most Bud brews BUT is still better than most of their brews.

3.94/5  rDev +34%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a Hooegaarden glass

Look: similar to other Belgian whites/hefeweissens. Cloudy but didn't hold head very long
Smell: citrus and spice
Feel: good, a full feel -- tempted to swish it around
Taste: very drinkable but lacking somewhat in the full flavors of top notch whites
Overall: very good but not the equal of best imports or Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

3.92/5  rDev +33.3%

I tasted this beer on a rainy afternoon of september 2009.

A: Cloudy yellow, not filtered, some pulp is seen at the bottom of the bottle, the head of foam is thin, like a white collar, i like the logo;

S: Some orange peel and wheat essences, maybe mango too;

T: Orange peel, lemon and wheat, some malt at the end;

M: Refreshing and citrus, slight bitterness and robust body;

D: I haven't drink many beers from michelob, but this one is very good!.

Served on tap @ a local pub for $3 a pint

A - Nice yellow color. Cloudy. Small foamy head. Orange stuck inside that I decided to eat before I even took a sip. Haha.

S - The smell was nice. Coriander and orange peel dominate it. I was just hoping that it tasted as well as it smelled.

T - It did. The taste was full of orange peel and coriander. Definitely wheat to be tasted in there also. I like the taste and I definitely think it holds it's own against the average Witbiers out there.

M - Pretty smooth. Medium bodied and low carbonation.

D - Pretty easy to drink. I could see myself tossing a few back without thinking twice. I didn't expect that it would be this good to be honest. I was impressed and it caught me off guard. I was pleasantly surprised.

3.92/5  rDev +33.3%

I bought a 12er of the Shock Top because my wife likes Blue Moon and I wanted something different, but still something along the line of a Belgian white beer. Initially, I was impressed with the color and aroma. Very citrusy and the color looks delicious. Quite a nice shock on my first taste. A decent amount of citrus and great flavors. Even though this is an AB product, I'll be buying it again. Should be a great beer for after mowing the grass and doing outside work.

3.92/5  rDev +33.3%

Have found Shock Top to pour with a lovely 3-finger head in a pint sized Collins glass. Head does dissipate by the time volume is halved, but still a very pleasant drink overall. I like the malty-wheaty nuance, though I'd appreciate a touch more. Coriander spice could also deserve to back up just a bit more. Still, the overall orange and citrusy edge comes more from the rind, both for the esters of essential oil and also for the pithy bitterness. I don't understand the criticism that it is too fruity, as by "fruity" I associate that with tasting more of the sweet pulp of the orange fruit than the skin. I still find this has enough hops and pith bitterness to keep it from being too sweet though maybe it's not quite as balanced a beer as it could be.

Its a fun beer to serve due to "roll at the end" pour instructions, the opaque sunny color and the pleasant nose. For the kind of beer it is -- an A-B near-mainstream beer -- I think this delivers extremely well. Have found it generally is a far better compliment to American-Mex cooking than a Corona with lime. But watch out, with some foods it can manifest its bitter notes unpleasantly.

3.91/5  rDev +33%

A- Pours a light golden color that is cloudy due to the yeast. There is some moderate lacing that sticks to the side of my glass. I can't tell what the carbonation looks like due to the haze.

S- There is a wonderful blended citrus aroma. Not only is the expected orange zest there, but I also smell some lime and maybe some lemon as well. This has a unique slight woodsy smell, but that could also be the coriander I detect. Sweet malts in the backround and no sign of hop bitterness. Works for me in this style!

T- The orange noted in the aroma hits very hard up front, and there is also a very smooth bread/yeasty flavor involved as well. I don't really taste the other citrus fruit that I detected either. The finish is alright, if not uninspiring....just kind of bland is all.

M- Well this is definitely a smooth, low carbonation beer, which works well with me. It reminds me of drinking a watered down orange spritzer, so that means the body is on the lighter side. Nothing noteworthy, but not the worst out there.

D- While I could really drink this all evening, or on the patio on a hot summer day, I just don't feel that this is on the same level compared to the Hoegaardens' of the world. It's an attempt though and I wouldn't shy away from it due to it's easy drinking character.

3.91/5  rDev +33%

Not sure what the problem is with this beer. Yeah, I know it's brewed by Anheuser-Busch but not everything they do is immediately terrible. Had this at Buffalo Wild Wings and I gotta say, this beer goes perfect with spicy food. It doesn't have any really strong flavors, and it's not bitter at all. Slightly sweet and very carbonated. It goes down almost like water. It'd be great for mowing the lawn or going out on a boat, or maybe for cookouts. I like this quite a bit.

3.9/5  rDev +32.7%

The beer pours a hazy, pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a refreshingly light pale and wheat malt scent along with just a touch of orange peel and coriander. The taste is decent. It has an easy drinking witbier taste that incredibly smooth. It light and conservative. There is a nice citrus element to it. The spices are hard to detect. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a highly drinkable wit. Not too shabby for an AB interpretation.

3.89/5  rDev +32.3%

I tried the beer after seeing your orange VW with the Mohawk parked in a local shopping center parking lot. I was so intrigued, I stopped at the local market and bought a six pack. Since I had already attended a wine tasting party that afternoon, I'm not sure the beer got a fair shake. I'll try it again tomorrow night and give you another review! The car is awesome! The spout on the back is the icing on the cake.

3.88/5  rDev +32%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Seems like this Beer gets a lot of Negative reviews,and as I sit here drinking my first "Shock Top Belgian white" I really do not understand why,sure there are better Belgian Witbiers out there ..but Honestly,I am enjoying this one quite a bit! and think all in all,this is a very nice Beer,very nice Indeed!Smooth,Crisp & super refreshing:)I think the sour edge may put some people off this brew,but I Myself like the tartness of it,I Never let reviews put me off trying a Beer,Because when all is said and done,we all have our own personal tastes and preferences,and a lot of Beers I enjoy quite a Bit are rated really Low here on this site,yet swill I would not let a pig drink [Steel Reserve 211] gets a very high rating by the Bros..LMAO,Really? an "88" score for Flat,rusty tasting,nasty as hell Steel Reserve malt Liquor? and Heineken gets rated as 'Poor"?~hehehe,Oh well man,to each his own I guess,just goes to show you should never take anyone elses word for something,not Mine,Not the "Bros",no ones,I enjoy reading a lot of reviews to see what other people think,but thats about it,I like to make my own mind up & draw my own conclusions,and so should you guys/Gals~Cheers & Peace2All.

3.88/5  rDev +32%

Appearance: Looks alive and intersting with lots of carbonation and milky, small head, great retention. Light, golden color.

Smell: Biscuity-malts, perfumy/citirusy hops

Taste: Beer has great balance, with deep citrus/biscuity taste. Beer was built with an orange dominance in mind, and it pulls through. The aftertaste hints at a strong orange dominance.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and smooth. A little over-carbonated.

Drinkability: I would definitely have another Shock Top Belgian White. Very easy to consume.

3.87/5  rDev +31.6%

I picked this up, not realizing it was an AB product until I got it home. I figured the store would not take a return and after the batch of bad ZON I had, I figured I'd try it.

It poured a thick dark tan color and smelled of citrus. I looked in the bottle and could see a large ring of white stuff clumped in the bottom. Doesn't say that it was bottle conditioned, so I was getting scared. It says unfiltered, but come on.

I took a small sip and expected something overpouring and bitter, but it wasn't. The fruitiness is a bit more than it should be, but the wheat taste came through.

I would have liked a bit more creaminess on the tongue and less fruitiness, but otherwise I definitely would prefer this to Blue Moon if I am buying beer at a hockey game with only mega-brews on tap.

Also, for the current $2.50 price difference between this and most other 6-packs of wits, this is the one to share with someone that hasn't developed a taste for wheat beers.

3.85/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden straw color with a thin white head. Smells of wheat, hops, and slight hints of citrus. The taste very citrusy with mild hints of hops and wheat. The mouth feel was pleasant with slight carbonation. I tried it both without the orange and with both are good however i found with the orange the beer became a little too citrusy for me. Overall it was a decent beer.

3.85/5  rDev +31%

A good beer for the price- cheaper than Blue Moon and almost as good. Great summer brew, not sure I'd go for it in the winter as I like darker beers in the winter months here in Connecticut. I get a sixer of this at least once a month during the Summer and Fall. Nice citrusy taste. Michelob did a good job here!

3.85/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A step up from the junk stuff,
and a good anytime go to. Refreshing
in the summer and a reminder in the
winter that warmer weather is coming,
without being over light or island
style. Always good, I never have any
guests that complain or refuse one.

3.85/5  rDev +31%

Stumbled upon this at a local gas station, so I didn't think I would be that impressed by it, especially since it says Michelob Brewing Co. on the top of the label. Poured a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A- Pours a very nice amber/orange color. Almost like a burnt orange color. The head went away pretty quickly, and there was little lacing.

S- Wheat, Orange, almost like a potpourri-esque essence to it

T- Sort of sweet, but not too much...Had a spicy fruity taste, like burnt orange peels mixed with cloves.

M- Sort of creamy, moderate carbonation, light and a bit slippery

D- I wouldn't mind drinking a few of these once in a while, not ultra drinkable, but drinkable to say the least. I would recommend this beer for someone getting their training wheels to graduate to micro brews, even though this one isn't....It is probably available in a wide variety of areas, so if you happen to see it, try it, it's worth it.

Overall, not a bad beer. Pretty good actually. Nothing to write home about, but decent enough to grab a six pack of this if you're looking for a cheaper beer with class (paid $8.79 a 6 pack).

3.85/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer has a light amber colour. It pours with a 1/4 inch head and leaves very little lacing against the glass. It clearly has some carbonation visible but not much at all.

The smell has a nice balance of earthy, wheat tones mixed with coriander and a solid orange scent.

The taste is very pleasant. It is light and refreshing and leaves a good orange flavour on the palette. The wheat is not overbearing and nicely balanced with the orange.

The mouthfeel is a little too carbonated for me. right from the initial drink you can feel the gritty carbonation in the brew. This is really the only hit on the beer, as far as I'm concerned. Makes me burp a lot...too much? Well it's true. But the flavour and balance are still very nice.

Overall this is a solid beer. It is not too strong at 5.2% ABV, has a nice balance of flavour and a nice scent. The carbonation is a bit much but not bad at all. Worth a try and is a real all-season beer.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch