Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 746 | Hads: 3,378
3.92/5  rDev +28.5%

I bought a 12er of the Shock Top because my wife likes Blue Moon and I wanted something different, but still something along the line of a Belgian white beer. Initially, I was impressed with the color and aroma. Very citrusy and the color looks delicious. Quite a nice shock on my first taste. A decent amount of citrus and great flavors. Even though this is an AB product, I'll be buying it again. Should be a great beer for after mowing the grass and doing outside work. (472 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +28.5%

Have found Shock Top to pour with a lovely 3-finger head in a pint sized Collins glass. Head does dissipate by the time volume is halved, but still a very pleasant drink overall. I like the malty-wheaty nuance, though I'd appreciate a touch more. Coriander spice could also deserve to back up just a bit more. Still, the overall orange and citrusy edge comes more from the rind, both for the esters of essential oil and also for the pithy bitterness. I don't understand the criticism that it is too fruity, as by "fruity" I associate that with tasting more of the sweet pulp of the orange fruit than the skin. I still find this has enough hops and pith bitterness to keep it from being too sweet though maybe it's not quite as balanced a beer as it could be.

Its a fun beer to serve due to "roll at the end" pour instructions, the opaque sunny color and the pleasant nose. For the kind of beer it is -- an A-B near-mainstream beer -- I think this delivers extremely well. Have found it generally is a far better compliment to American-Mex cooking than a Corona with lime. But watch out, with some foods it can manifest its bitter notes unpleasantly. (1,150 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +28.2%

A- Pours a light golden color that is cloudy due to the yeast. There is some moderate lacing that sticks to the side of my glass. I can't tell what the carbonation looks like due to the haze.

S- There is a wonderful blended citrus aroma. Not only is the expected orange zest there, but I also smell some lime and maybe some lemon as well. This has a unique slight woodsy smell, but that could also be the coriander I detect. Sweet malts in the backround and no sign of hop bitterness. Works for me in this style!

T- The orange noted in the aroma hits very hard up front, and there is also a very smooth bread/yeasty flavor involved as well. I don't really taste the other citrus fruit that I detected either. The finish is alright, if not uninspiring....just kind of bland is all.

M- Well this is definitely a smooth, low carbonation beer, which works well with me. It reminds me of drinking a watered down orange spritzer, so that means the body is on the lighter side. Nothing noteworthy, but not the worst out there.

D- While I could really drink this all evening, or on the patio on a hot summer day, I just don't feel that this is on the same level compared to the Hoegaardens' of the world. It's an attempt though and I wouldn't shy away from it due to it's easy drinking character. (1,292 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +28.2%

Not sure what the problem is with this beer. Yeah, I know it's brewed by Anheuser-Busch but not everything they do is immediately terrible. Had this at Buffalo Wild Wings and I gotta say, this beer goes perfect with spicy food. It doesn't have any really strong flavors, and it's not bitter at all. Slightly sweet and very carbonated. It goes down almost like water. It'd be great for mowing the lawn or going out on a boat, or maybe for cookouts. I like this quite a bit. (472 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +27.9%

The beer pours a hazy, pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a refreshingly light pale and wheat malt scent along with just a touch of orange peel and coriander. The taste is decent. It has an easy drinking witbier taste that incredibly smooth. It light and conservative. There is a nice citrus element to it. The spices are hard to detect. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a highly drinkable wit. Not too shabby for an AB interpretation. (554 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +27.5%

I tried the beer after seeing your orange VW with the Mohawk parked in a local shopping center parking lot. I was so intrigued, I stopped at the local market and bought a six pack. Since I had already attended a wine tasting party that afternoon, I'm not sure the beer got a fair shake. I'll try it again tomorrow night and give you another review! The car is awesome! The spout on the back is the icing on the cake. (416 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Seems like this Beer gets a lot of Negative reviews,and as I sit here drinking my first "Shock Top Belgian white" I really do not understand why,sure there are better Belgian Witbiers out there ..but Honestly,I am enjoying this one quite a bit! and think all in all,this is a very nice Beer,very nice Indeed!Smooth,Crisp & super refreshing:)I think the sour edge may put some people off this brew,but I Myself like the tartness of it,I Never let reviews put me off trying a Beer,Because when all is said and done,we all have our own personal tastes and preferences,and a lot of Beers I enjoy quite a Bit are rated really Low here on this site,yet swill I would not let a pig drink [Steel Reserve 211] gets a very high rating by the Bros..LMAO,Really? an "88" score for Flat,rusty tasting,nasty as hell Steel Reserve malt Liquor? and Heineken gets rated as 'Poor"?~hehehe,Oh well man,to each his own I guess,just goes to show you should never take anyone elses word for something,not Mine,Not the "Bros",no ones,I enjoy reading a lot of reviews to see what other people think,but thats about it,I like to make my own mind up & draw my own conclusions,and so should you guys/Gals~Cheers & Peace2All. (1,197 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +27.2%

Appearance: Looks alive and intersting with lots of carbonation and milky, small head, great retention. Light, golden color.

Smell: Biscuity-malts, perfumy/citirusy hops

Taste: Beer has great balance, with deep citrus/biscuity taste. Beer was built with an orange dominance in mind, and it pulls through. The aftertaste hints at a strong orange dominance.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and smooth. A little over-carbonated.

Drinkability: I would definitely have another Shock Top Belgian White. Very easy to consume. (507 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +26.9%

I picked this up, not realizing it was an AB product until I got it home. I figured the store would not take a return and after the batch of bad ZON I had, I figured I'd try it.

It poured a thick dark tan color and smelled of citrus. I looked in the bottle and could see a large ring of white stuff clumped in the bottom. Doesn't say that it was bottle conditioned, so I was getting scared. It says unfiltered, but come on.

I took a small sip and expected something overpouring and bitter, but it wasn't. The fruitiness is a bit more than it should be, but the wheat taste came through.

I would have liked a bit more creaminess on the tongue and less fruitiness, but otherwise I definitely would prefer this to Blue Moon if I am buying beer at a hockey game with only mega-brews on tap.

Also, for the current $2.50 price difference between this and most other 6-packs of wits, this is the one to share with someone that hasn't developed a taste for wheat beers. (967 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden straw color with a thin white head. Smells of wheat, hops, and slight hints of citrus. The taste very citrusy with mild hints of hops and wheat. The mouth feel was pleasant with slight carbonation. I tried it both without the orange and with both are good however i found with the orange the beer became a little too citrusy for me. Overall it was a decent beer. (377 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +26.2%

A good beer for the price- cheaper than Blue Moon and almost as good. Great summer brew, not sure I'd go for it in the winter as I like darker beers in the winter months here in Connecticut. I get a sixer of this at least once a month during the Summer and Fall. Nice citrusy taste. Michelob did a good job here! (312 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A step up from the junk stuff,
and a good anytime go to. Refreshing
in the summer and a reminder in the
winter that warmer weather is coming,
without being over light or island
style. Always good, I never have any
guests that complain or refuse one. (251 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +26.2%

Stumbled upon this at a local gas station, so I didn't think I would be that impressed by it, especially since it says Michelob Brewing Co. on the top of the label. Poured a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A- Pours a very nice amber/orange color. Almost like a burnt orange color. The head went away pretty quickly, and there was little lacing.

S- Wheat, Orange, almost like a potpourri-esque essence to it

T- Sort of sweet, but not too much...Had a spicy fruity taste, like burnt orange peels mixed with cloves.

M- Sort of creamy, moderate carbonation, light and a bit slippery

D- I wouldn't mind drinking a few of these once in a while, not ultra drinkable, but drinkable to say the least. I would recommend this beer for someone getting their training wheels to graduate to micro brews, even though this one isn't....It is probably available in a wide variety of areas, so if you happen to see it, try it, it's worth it.

Overall, not a bad beer. Pretty good actually. Nothing to write home about, but decent enough to grab a six pack of this if you're looking for a cheaper beer with class (paid $8.79 a 6 pack). (1,117 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer has a light amber colour. It pours with a 1/4 inch head and leaves very little lacing against the glass. It clearly has some carbonation visible but not much at all.

The smell has a nice balance of earthy, wheat tones mixed with coriander and a solid orange scent.

The taste is very pleasant. It is light and refreshing and leaves a good orange flavour on the palette. The wheat is not overbearing and nicely balanced with the orange.

The mouthfeel is a little too carbonated for me. right from the initial drink you can feel the gritty carbonation in the brew. This is really the only hit on the beer, as far as I'm concerned. Makes me burp a lot...too much? Well it's true. But the flavour and balance are still very nice.

Overall this is a solid beer. It is not too strong at 5.2% ABV, has a nice balance of flavour and a nice scent. The carbonation is a bit much but not bad at all. Worth a try and is a real all-season beer. (943 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +26.2%

First time i had this was at a friends house, he said it was way better than blue moon so i tried it. I'm amused at the serving instructions on the bottle, i understand why but i still think rolling the bottle around is fun.

Looks good, i might like to see more head on it, lacing was present from some of the sediment that was poured in after rolling the bottle.

smells good, a little on the pungent side maybe? smells like you'd expect it too i guess, orangey with hints of spice.

tastes like it smells i think, i like this style alot so maybe i'm more forgiving of it but i really like the citrus and wheat tastes.
like some have said i would like to do a side by side of this and blue moon, which i just realized is what i was saving this bottle for. oh well, i don't mind buying more a good summer beer

mouthfeel is good, carbonation comes across well, lightly creamy, slight after taste that i could see being improved.

drinkability? i'd say prety good if you like the flavors, i know people that don't like citrus as much and they wouldn't drink more than one of these, but if you like it than i'd say you could drink a few of these before it get to be too much. not something i'd drink all day though. (1,214 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +25.9%

A - Cloudy yellow, thin white head, minimal lacing.

S - Nice spicy notes, smells very complex

T - Bready notes fly out all over. Almost reminds me of sourdough dipped in fondue. Delicious!

M - Tingly, highly carbonated

D - Easily drinkable, smooth, spicey notes are not over powering

Wow... this is from AB? This has to be one of the best beers I have had from them. And as far as Hefe's go, this one is interesting and enjoyable! (435 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell has some hints of citrus and spices. Taste is flavorful and refreshing. Good balance of spices and citrus. Medium bodied in the mouth and goes down very easily. Overall this is a quality brew. (280 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +25.2%

A - Cloudy, light orange haze for a body topped by a fast retreating pure white head.

S - There's a slight white wine aroma here that's actually inviting.

T - Citrus in the ending and through to the finish. The start is packed with sweet wheat flavor.

M - The texture is smooth and laid back. It goes down very well and even leaves a sticky finish.

~ I have to say thi beer is not bad by any means. I recommend it to those interested in trying a witbier brewed by one of the big boys. (489 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Somewhat a cloudy orange

S - Sweet, almost too sweet.

T - Taste is ok but i was expecting more "Umf" to it.

M - Very watery to me.

O - Not a bad beer but not a great beer by any standard.

Overall this beer did better than expected. The only drawback was the beer was similar to a citrus Lite beer. I was expecting more of a punch but it was OK. Good summer Beer but very light to seasoned beer drinkers. (413 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +24.6%

I've reviewed this beer before (I don't know where it went, sometimes they just disappear, probably in data transfer to new servers or whatever) so I won't go into detail. Everyone knows what it is anyway.

I wonder, however, why it has such poor ratings on BA. It's a bit dark for the style, I'll say that. And perhaps the head retention and lacing could be a little better, but I still think it's pretty good for the style. It's a bit malty, mainly wheaty in the aroma, but there's still some coriander to it, as well as orange peel, and all of that carries into the flavor as well. It's rounded and balanced. It might be fuller than I'd expect, but there are other American breweries doing the same. Blue Moon is much heavier, and scores better, and there are a lot of brewpubs and smaller micros in the same boat. Besides all of that, it's clean and consistent. I think it's just getting a bad rap here because it's made by A-B. (933 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +24.6%

pours a hazy straw yellow with a one finger white head and a small amount of lace. hints of orange and coriander in the nose. taste is mostly of the orange with hints of lemon and line in the background. mouthfeel light carbonation ok. surprisingly not bad i would buy it again. (278 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +24.6%

A - A hazy light orange color. Contains a good deal of carbonation with adequate (though quickly dissapating) head. When served in the proper glassware and viewed in proper lighting, a condensated glass of Shock Top could be mistaken for a light colored cup of orange juice.

S - A smell typical of wheat beers with a definate blast of orange.

T - Strong blast of orange when served on-tap, but not so strong out of bottle. This beer is a definate white beer with all the typical wheat flavor characteristics.

M - This beer is a tad thin, but very refreshing.

D - Excellent on-tap, so-so when bottled. Either way, this beer is a very refreshing brew.

Shock Top is a beer that should not be overlooked just because it is branded with the Anheuser-Busch logo. In fact, I would have never even guessed this was an Anheuser brew until I inspected the label on the bottle.

This beer certainly stands up to other mass-produced American white ales. (946 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a great summer beer. Pour a fine orange and golden color. Somewhat cloudy, but it has a fine aroma of oranges and wheat. It's flavor is strong citrus note but very easy to drink. The tart initial flavor of orange and lemon is followed by a light wheat aftertaste. (271 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +24.3%

A friend gave me a bottle of this to try, I never it had before.

A- Pretty average yellow fizzy beer, nothing exciting here.

S- The beer has a nice citrus aroma, I was actually impressed.

T- I think the beer taste pretty much like the style should, citrus and some wheat.

M- Very light, as expected. Fairly carbonated.

D- Not bad, I wouldn't go out of my way to get this but considering who makes it and how easy it is to find its an ok choice. (449 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +23.9%

Pours pale yellow with some haze apparent. Decent head no lacing.

Very faint orange smell.

This also has a orange flavor , some slight banana taste. Spices added are barely detectable.

Mouthfeel is medium to light. Good carbonation.

Overall an easy drinking beer, probably not my first choice but enjoyable.. (313 characters)

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch