1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Belgian WhiteShock Top Belgian White

poor

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,417 | Reviews: 668 | Show All Ratings:
beerindulger

Tennessee

1.05/5  rDev -64.6%

OH MY GOD! What crap for beer especially trying to pawn itself of as a belgium white! Totally worthless tasted terrible! Bitter aftertaste! Couldn't even finish! Don't waste your money! Sorry Anhauser-Bush just stick to Bud, Bud Light, and Michelob!

05-08-2008 01:52:46 | More by beerindulger
harrymel

Washington

1.13/5  rDev -62%

Bottled/best by: unk

pours an off brilliant clarity witbier (WTF?!) with little head formation. Nose is sweet and wheat - some belgian yeast tones and a little floral character. Pretty sweet and artificial in the nose. Flavor is, again, sweet with some flowers and sharp, um, hot dog flavors. This weiner note follows through into the finish and dissappoints my life. Water bodied (for the style) and moderate carb, this doesn't match style at all.

This beer is shite from a crafted standpoint.

02-15-2012 17:34:43 | More by harrymel
ale1

1.13/5  rDev -62%

poured into a Guinness pint glass
medium carbonation, artificial it appears

this is not a Belgian Ale, and resembles a repackaged budweiser, amber malts nonexistant,
orange ? some artificial additive to taste like an orange.
remainder poured down the drain.

05-11-2012 12:22:22 | More by ale1
UpNorthLager

Wisconsin

1.2/5  rDev -59.6%

It looked like beer. It had some words on the label that implied that it was of a variety that I might like. Alas, the flavor was dilute, it had a a hint of artificial citrus flavor, and weak malt extract flavor. The composite flavors held together, but they didn't amount to much.

08-21-2010 18:18:25 | More by UpNorthLager
bradlemay

Maine

1.2/5  rDev -59.6%

I tried shock top because I heard it was all the rave. Then I found it was made by Bud, strike one. I drank 5 of them and had to choke them down, it had a very strong orange taste to it which actually is sickening. Bud is trying to get into the micro brew market but they cant because they simply cannot amke a decent beer.

07-10-2011 05:42:39 | More by bradlemay
jtierney89

1.3/5  rDev -56.2%

Drinking at a Trenton titans game, only non light lager available at the bar. Hazed bright orange with little head. Sweet malt and even toffee on the nose which seems odd. Smells like a bad taffy shop.

Light effervescent body. Malt sweetness with a big tangerine flavor. Tastes like orange soda with unfermented malt extract added a the faintest whisp of wheat. Really a lot worse than I remember, haven't had it in a couple years, worse than blue moon and I don't like that either. Overly sweet and reminiscent of soda

02-26-2013 23:54:57 | More by jtierney89
Gluek

1.33/5  rDev -55.2%

Almost undrinkable.
Overpowering taste of spices. Everything else is drowned out in this beer.

The aroma is below average.

Mouthfeel is almost passable, but I can't get past the poor taste.

One of the worst beers I've ever sampled. Needless to say I will avoid at all costs.

04-28-2013 03:23:26 | More by Gluek
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

1.43/5  rDev -51.9%

A - Light orange, cloudy...decent head that fizzles out shortly.

S - Spices, subtle pepper, cereal grain, subtle orange but kinda funky and off putting.

T - I guess you could say it's tangy, slightly sour, more subtle orange peel, not digging this at all.

M - Watered down, kinda dry, bad aftertaste.

D - It took all of me to finish this.

03-11-2011 20:09:14 | More by Doomcifer
1759Girl

1.5/5  rDev -49.5%

Wow.... I thought, "heck! I've never even heard of this beer. Let's get it! We love witbiers!"
Oh, wow.
It poured badly and grew worse. It was only after my tasting of it and utter confusion as to how someone could possibly make such a bad attempt of a white belgian, that a friend pointed out that it is made by Michelob.
A>Scary orange color with a big lagerfoam head.
Smell> shockingly unlike any witbier you have had. Has all of the metallic notes of a nattylight.
Taste> hard to review since it lacks almost any.
Mouf> <shudder>
Drinkability> Would probably give this less if i could. I haven't felt this strongly since I had my last lightstruck beer... only this one didn't taste skunked, just super weak.

09-01-2008 15:59:09 | More by 1759Girl
Mebuzzard

Colorado

1.5/5  rDev -49.5%

So the 'witbier' and the label make me think this will be refreshing, light and have some sort of citrus or spice to it.

Far from it. A murky light golden pour begs an apology. Sick malt aroma, some coriander if I think about it. Faint faint faint citrus.
A bad taste. The malt is overpowering and beyond stale. No spice whatsoever in the taste. Fuzzy orange essence--the fuzz coming from mold.
Light beer. Filmy aftertaste. This is bad.

11-16-2009 05:09:52 | More by Mebuzzard
greywolf

Delaware

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

this beer was giving to me by a fellow beer person.who knew that i was new to beer as new to good/bad beer..i am willing to try just becuase you never know,,,,
this beer is by far the worst beer i have had to date...it was way to sweet and just not my think,,out of repesect i will not bash this beer i will just say i its a beer i am glad i tried so i do not agian...as some else said its drinkability was ok at first but only gets worst...
i will not be trying this beer again.... but i am sure thier are many people who enjoy this beer,,,,its just not my thing

02-23-2010 20:30:08 | More by greywolf
Pettybear

Oregon

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I have to agree with the previous reviewer. The orange smell seemed on the verge of going "bad". The color was weak and the overall taste of the beer was weak. Just not enjoyable to drink. Plus, for some reason, Budwiser products seem to give me the worse H/a about half way through a bottle of beer. Honestly, I wanted to like this beer, but no go.

03-09-2012 04:15:05 | More by Pettybear
n00tz

Georgia

1.58/5  rDev -46.8%

A - Opaque (cloudy) gold body, thin bleached white head, and slow (next to nothing) carbonation. There's no excitement in this beer.

S - Citrusy hops and bread.

T - Citrusy hops and bread faintly detected but almost nothing but water... like a propel fitness water with alcohol in it. Yeah, boring.

M - Clear presence, like water.

D - Wasn't going into this with any expectations... didn't come out with anything positive. Worst beer I've had since I started reviewing beer.

10-10-2008 23:44:37 | More by n00tz
Rocky9

1.6/5  rDev -46.1%

Full disclosure - I did NOT know this was an A-B product when I drank it. Also, it was free, at an open bar. The draft options were limited, I hadn't heard of Shock Top at the time, and I thought, what the hell, I'm not paying for it, let's give it a shot. The other options were all Bud-Lite/Coors-type beers anyway.

Well, I remember that day, years ago, like it was yesterday, because it's one of the very few times in my life I didn't finish a pint of beer that someone handed to me. it looked fine, it smelled fine, I guess, but when I tasted it, I wondered what the hell had happened. To me it seemed like someone had taken a piss in a vat of beer, thrown a bunch of oranges in to mask the taste of peepee, and then watered down the whole mess to make sure no beer lover ever asked for it again.

What a terrible beer. I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers/white beers to begin with, but there are some that I enjoy. Just not this one. Quite possibly one of the worst beers I've ever had.

05-03-2013 14:43:24 | More by Rocky9
ProfessorHomer

1.63/5  rDev -45.1%

Overview: about as impressive as dirty dishwater after a Thanksgiving feast.

I had it last year and thought it was OK. So I bought a six pack to go with a pizza and headed out to the local drive in.

Was murky and sour-smelling with a thin, quickly-dissipating head. Smelled off as well. Taste was the worst part - had some sort of stale citrus taste, hard to tell it was orange. Very light, and I would say watery but that would be an insult to water. I checked, but it was well within its freshness date.

I won't be purchasing this beer EVER again.

11-02-2008 17:45:43 | More by ProfessorHomer
hardy008

1.63/5  rDev -45.1%

Hazy light yellow color with a large head that disappears very quickly. The aroma is watered down citrus which is barely noticeable. The taste is also barely noticeable. Some citrus flavor, but nothing special. Light bodied, over carbonated. Nothing to get excited about.

04-30-2010 02:18:09 | More by hardy008
grdahl

1.68/5  rDev -43.4%

A- Nice cloudy pale amber as you would expect a BW to be.

S- OK, coriander is obvious

T- Awful..faintly orange and corriander.

M- Very thin, watery.

D- OK on a hot day. quenches thirst if you can get by the unpleasant smell and taste.

Leave it to AB to do a great job of selling this crap via billboards. I had to try it seeing all the hype. It's even worst than Blue Moon. If you want a good BW go with Sam Adams Imperial White or Hoegaarden. This style has not been reproduced well by any of the macrobreweries and it's a shame as it is great summer beer.

07-19-2009 18:59:40 | More by grdahl
SleepyEast

1.69/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Not a fan of this beer. Had it more than a few times. Some times it was more enjoyable than others. This time not so much.

Bottle has no date which always bothers me. Pour gives a cloudy orange/ brown color. One finger head which leaves very quickly. Almost as if it was never there. First thing I smell is coriander. Very, very strong. Orange follows behind as expected but is more mellow than I think it should be (especially considering the label). Tons of carbonation on the tongue. A bit too much for me. Getting a strange watery, bitter orange juice flavor with the overpowering flavor of coriander. Doesn't work well on my palate. By far the worst part of this experience is the lingering after taste. Very hard to describe. Makes my mouth pucker but not in a dry wine kind of way.

This is my second time drinking this beer this week and both times I seem to get this wierd stomach ache. Expired? No way to tell since there is no date... On other occasions I've had this it has been more palatable. If I reviewed this when I had it last year it would be a solid 3. This time I didn't enjoy it at all.

08-26-2013 05:34:15 | More by SleepyEast
tctruffin

1.75/5  rDev -41.1%

The beer didn't look much different than any other AB product. There was no aroma to speak of. The label promises spices, but there were none discernible. The rating says, 1-awful; it's not that the flavor was awful but that there wasn't any. The mouthfeel was like low carbonated water. Even though the body is light, the drinkability factor is below average since there's really nothing to keep me coming back.

06-28-2008 01:59:42 | More by tctruffin
flipshevanel

Arizona

1.75/5  rDev -41.1%

I have to admit that I have a predisposition towards not liking Anheuser-Busch products, they've just never ever impressed me. Utterly dissapointing white ale. Completely average appearance, with dull uninspiring aroma (smelled just like Budweiser). Palate was medium to full, very dry for a wheat beer with a moderate astringent feel. Flavor was very acidic with a thankfully short finish.

08-01-2008 03:58:36 | More by flipshevanel
TSJ4000

Iowa

1.75/5  rDev -41.1%

Overall the high carbonation and the attention to sweet orange flavor and not true citrus orange flavor make this beer more akin to a soda that a beer, let alone a Belgian Witbier style. It pours just fine but the lack of pleasant aromas and the sweetness make this not very drinkable. I would rather have either a soda or a beer, but not a sodabeer.

03-12-2012 21:04:18 | More by TSJ4000
rye726

Colorado

1.8/5  rDev -39.4%

One of their better beers. But if you can't make a wheat beer, your in the wrong business. Pours a yellow color with a thin beige head. The nose has wheatish malts and the usual stale hops. Again more staleness in the taste. Watery body goes down with harsh carbonation.

05-01-2009 07:27:08 | More by rye726
kaseydad

1.8/5  rDev -39.4%

Had this on tap at a SF Giants game. Had no clue what I was getting though I saw Belgian on the tap handle and went for it...big mistake.

I was handed a murky bronze beverage with a lingering white foamy head...all this for $8.25!!!

The only aroma I could smell was oranges. And a lot of them!

The taste reminded me of a mild Sunkist orange soda. Not "shocked" at all! A very high amount of carbonation was disturbing. It's almost hard to classify this as a beer.

I will say it was refreshing for the condition I was in though I would not seek this out...ever. Once I found out it was made by Anheuser-Busch when I got home, it all made sense.

08-29-2009 17:36:48 | More by kaseydad
willPS21

West Virginia

1.8/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This beer made me wince. If I drank it often I'd probably get facial wrinkles from it. But was in my fridge, it got there from a careless friend, and I had to dispatch it.

I was getting some rough flavors about 3/4 of the way to swallowing, just metallic and bad-malty and vierd. Really I challenge that this is actually a Witbier.. I'm convinced its not, and that is really just reject budweiser with orange murk poured into it. The mouthfeel was DISTINCTLY budweiser. The same carbonation, the same feel on every surface of your mouth right after you swallow. I'm surprised the inherent sugars needed to produce the sweetness didn't change it more.

I definitely got the impression that there were two separate parts that didn't belong together, and that was it. Blue Moon at least seems unified when you have a sip. The "sweet" aspect tasted essentially artificial to me, a weird rosy orange. And again, the rough body. I just realized the name "shock top" supports my theory of how they add the flavor..

Fairly putrid. I will avoid it at all costs and don't forsee me associating myself with anyone who has this on any frequent basis. If I see a friend with this I will be sure to QUICKLY provide something better.

Really, I much prefer budweiser, and probably also Busch if it is in those cool camo cans. Actually YES busch could have been the rough undertone.. there was definitely a hint of Busch.

Finally, the beer does the same thing to your stomach as budweiser. Basically a rolling squeaky loud digestion process for a whole day. I only had 5.

12-05-2010 02:32:05 | More by willPS21
oldpinecone

1.83/5  rDev -38.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

My dad brought this over being intrigued with the label and such thinking it would be a great brew...little did we know...

Pours a hazy copper with a nice 2 finger white head. Leaves nice lacing also.

Smell was really really sweet and citrusy. Not to much else going on. You could barely tell it was beer.

It tastes exactly like it smelled. Its the only beer Ive ever tasted that the smell was exactly like that taste in every way. It wasnt good.

Mouthfell was really watery and thats about it. Average carbonation.

Drinkability...more like grossability. Avoid.

08-29-2009 22:42:22 | More by oldpinecone