Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Belgian WhiteShock Top Belgian White

Avg: 3
Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 753 | Hads: 3,435

poured into a Guinness pint glass
medium carbonation, artificial it appears

this is not a Belgian Ale, and resembles a repackaged budweiser, amber malts nonexistant,
orange ? some artificial additive to taste like an orange.
remainder poured down the drain.

1.06/5  rDev -64.7%

OH MY GOD! What crap for beer especially trying to pawn itself of as a belgium white! Totally worthless tasted terrible! Bitter aftertaste! Couldn't even finish! Don't waste your money! Sorry Anhauser-Bush just stick to Bud, Bud Light, and Michelob!

1.15/5  rDev -61.7%

Bottled/best by: unk

pours an off brilliant clarity witbier (WTF?!) with little head formation. Nose is sweet and wheat - some belgian yeast tones and a little floral character. Pretty sweet and artificial in the nose. Flavor is, again, sweet with some flowers and sharp, um, hot dog flavors. This weiner note follows through into the finish and dissappoints my life. Water bodied (for the style) and moderate carb, this doesn't match style at all.

This beer is shite from a crafted standpoint.

1.2/5  rDev -60%

I tried shock top because I heard it was all the rave. Then I found it was made by Bud, strike one. I drank 5 of them and had to choke them down, it had a very strong orange taste to it which actually is sickening. Bud is trying to get into the micro brew market but they cant because they simply cannot amke a decent beer.

1.23/5  rDev -59%

It looked like beer. It had some words on the label that implied that it was of a variety that I might like. Alas, the flavor was dilute, it had a a hint of artificial citrus flavor, and weak malt extract flavor. The composite flavors held together, but they didn't amount to much.

1.3/5  rDev -56.7%

Drinking at a Trenton titans game, only non light lager available at the bar. Hazed bright orange with little head. Sweet malt and even toffee on the nose which seems odd. Smells like a bad taffy shop.

Light effervescent body. Malt sweetness with a big tangerine flavor. Tastes like orange soda with unfermented malt extract added a the faintest whisp of wheat. Really a lot worse than I remember, haven't had it in a couple years, worse than blue moon and I don't like that either. Overly sweet and reminiscent of soda

1.37/5  rDev -54.3%

Pour out of a twist top 12 ounce bottle into a tall glass

Pours orange with a foamy off white head

Belgian yeast smell up front not much else

Watery, some orange fresca taste

Well carbonated

So far off from the style. Not even close. Fresca fermented with Belgian yeast isn't a wit beer. Sorry AB.

1.37/5  rDev -54.3%

Almost undrinkable.
Overpowering taste of spices. Everything else is drowned out in this beer.

The aroma is below average.

Mouthfeel is almost passable, but I can't get past the poor taste.

One of the worst beers I've ever sampled. Needless to say I will avoid at all costs.

1.43/5  rDev -52.3%

A - Light orange, cloudy...decent head that fizzles out shortly.

S - Spices, subtle pepper, cereal grain, subtle orange but kinda funky and off putting.

T - I guess you could say it's tangy, slightly sour, more subtle orange peel, not digging this at all.

M - Watered down, kinda dry, bad aftertaste.

D - It took all of me to finish this.

1.46/5  rDev -51.3%

Wow.... I thought, "heck! I've never even heard of this beer. Let's get it! We love witbiers!"
Oh, wow.
It poured badly and grew worse. It was only after my tasting of it and utter confusion as to how someone could possibly make such a bad attempt of a white belgian, that a friend pointed out that it is made by Michelob.
A>Scary orange color with a big lagerfoam head.
Smell> shockingly unlike any witbier you have had. Has all of the metallic notes of a nattylight.
Taste> hard to review since it lacks almost any.
Mouf> <shudder>
Drinkability> Would probably give this less if i could. I haven't felt this strongly since I had my last lightstruck beer... only this one didn't taste skunked, just super weak.

1.5/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I have to agree with the previous reviewer. The orange smell seemed on the verge of going "bad". The color was weak and the overall taste of the beer was weak. Just not enjoyable to drink. Plus, for some reason, Budwiser products seem to give me the worse H/a about half way through a bottle of beer. Honestly, I wanted to like this beer, but no go.

1.5/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

this beer was giving to me by a fellow beer person.who knew that i was new to beer as new to good/bad beer..i am willing to try just becuase you never know,,,,
this beer is by far the worst beer i have had to date...it was way to sweet and just not my think,,out of repesect i will not bash this beer i will just say i its a beer i am glad i tried so i do not agian...as some else said its drinkability was ok at first but only gets worst...
i will not be trying this beer again.... but i am sure thier are many people who enjoy this beer,,,,its just not my thing

1.53/5  rDev -49%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Awful overall. The taste makes me want to vomit. It is most definitely two notches under most wheat beers on the market. It features a complicated, medicinal, chemical blend of citrus flavors. Poor look too, loses its head of foam quickly and looks flat thereafter. This beer is poor at best.

1.55/5  rDev -48.3%

So the 'witbier' and the label make me think this will be refreshing, light and have some sort of citrus or spice to it.

Far from it. A murky light golden pour begs an apology. Sick malt aroma, some coriander if I think about it. Faint faint faint citrus.
A bad taste. The malt is overpowering and beyond stale. No spice whatsoever in the taste. Fuzzy orange essence--the fuzz coming from mold.
Light beer. Filmy aftertaste. This is bad.

1.63/5  rDev -45.7%

DATE TASTED: May 17, 2015... GLASSWARE: plain weizen... OCCASION: a long day of yard and garden work in the books... APPEARANCE: slightly hazy, lemon yellow body that sports minimal carbonation; fizzing white head fizzles to a pencil-thin mustache; soap suds for lacing...AROMA: funky farmhouse yeast challenges the expectation of a orange-peel label; pungent rubber and plasticine... PALATE: watery, oily, slippery and paradoxically, only mildly refreshing... TASTE: Malty and off-kilter--lukewarm sweetness and not much in the way of flavor...OVERALL: a pretty bad approximation of a wheat beer...tough to find much positive to say about this, and I have railed against bad beers in other reviews for too long...so, I would only drink this if little else we’re available--even a light beer is preferable...

1.64/5  rDev -45.3%

A - Opaque (cloudy) gold body, thin bleached white head, and slow (next to nothing) carbonation. There's no excitement in this beer.

S - Citrusy hops and bread.

T - Citrusy hops and bread faintly detected but almost nothing but water... like a propel fitness water with alcohol in it. Yeah, boring.

M - Clear presence, like water.

D - Wasn't going into this with any expectations... didn't come out with anything positive. Worst beer I've had since I started reviewing beer.

1.64/5  rDev -45.3%

Hazy light yellow color with a large head that disappears very quickly. The aroma is watered down citrus which is barely noticeable. The taste is also barely noticeable. Some citrus flavor, but nothing special. Light bodied, over carbonated. Nothing to get excited about.

1.65/5  rDev -45%

Overview: about as impressive as dirty dishwater after a Thanksgiving feast.

I had it last year and thought it was OK. So I bought a six pack to go with a pizza and headed out to the local drive in.

Was murky and sour-smelling with a thin, quickly-dissipating head. Smelled off as well. Taste was the worst part - had some sort of stale citrus taste, hard to tell it was orange. Very light, and I would say watery but that would be an insult to water. I checked, but it was well within its freshness date.

I won't be purchasing this beer EVER again.

1.69/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Not a fan of this beer. Had it more than a few times. Some times it was more enjoyable than others. This time not so much.

Bottle has no date which always bothers me. Pour gives a cloudy orange/ brown color. One finger head which leaves very quickly. Almost as if it was never there. First thing I smell is coriander. Very, very strong. Orange follows behind as expected but is more mellow than I think it should be (especially considering the label). Tons of carbonation on the tongue. A bit too much for me. Getting a strange watery, bitter orange juice flavor with the overpowering flavor of coriander. Doesn't work well on my palate. By far the worst part of this experience is the lingering after taste. Very hard to describe. Makes my mouth pucker but not in a dry wine kind of way.

This is my second time drinking this beer this week and both times I seem to get this wierd stomach ache. Expired? No way to tell since there is no date... On other occasions I've had this it has been more palatable. If I reviewed this when I had it last year it would be a solid 3. This time I didn't enjoy it at all.

1.7/5  rDev -43.3%

Full disclosure - I did NOT know this was an A-B product when I drank it. Also, it was free, at an open bar. The draft options were limited, I hadn't heard of Shock Top at the time, and I thought, what the hell, I'm not paying for it, let's give it a shot. The other options were all Bud-Lite/Coors-type beers anyway.

Well, I remember that day, years ago, like it was yesterday, because it's one of the very few times in my life I didn't finish a pint of beer that someone handed to me. it looked fine, it smelled fine, I guess, but when I tasted it, I wondered what the hell had happened. To me it seemed like someone had taken a piss in a vat of beer, thrown a bunch of oranges in to mask the taste of peepee, and then watered down the whole mess to make sure no beer lover ever asked for it again.

What a terrible beer. I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers/white beers to begin with, but there are some that I enjoy. Just not this one. Quite possibly one of the worst beers I've ever had.

1.71/5  rDev -43%

A- Nice cloudy pale amber as you would expect a BW to be.

S- OK, coriander is obvious

T- Awful..faintly orange and corriander.

M- Very thin, watery.

D- OK on a hot day. quenches thirst if you can get by the unpleasant smell and taste.

Leave it to AB to do a great job of selling this crap via billboards. I had to try it seeing all the hype. It's even worst than Blue Moon. If you want a good BW go with Sam Adams Imperial White or Hoegaarden. This style has not been reproduced well by any of the macrobreweries and it's a shame as it is great summer beer.

1.71/5  rDev -43%

I had some hopes when I opened the bottle - but they were clearly dashed.
It makes sense that this is Bud's version of a Belgian Wheat
Light, insipid, somewhat fuzzy mouth feel.
A little darker and more cloudy than a regular Bud - so they made an attempt

1.72/5  rDev -42.7%

I have to admit that I have a predisposition towards not liking Anheuser-Busch products, they've just never ever impressed me. Utterly dissapointing white ale. Completely average appearance, with dull uninspiring aroma (smelled just like Budweiser). Palate was medium to full, very dry for a wheat beer with a moderate astringent feel. Flavor was very acidic with a thankfully short finish.

1.79/5  rDev -40.3%

Overall the high carbonation and the attention to sweet orange flavor and not true citrus orange flavor make this beer more akin to a soda that a beer, let alone a Belgian Witbier style. It pours just fine but the lack of pleasant aromas and the sweetness make this not very drinkable. I would rather have either a soda or a beer, but not a sodabeer.

1.8/5  rDev -40%

The beer didn't look much different than any other AB product. There was no aroma to speak of. The label promises spices, but there were none discernible. The rating says, 1-awful; it's not that the flavor was awful but that there wasn't any. The mouthfeel was like low carbonated water. Even though the body is light, the drinkability factor is below average since there's really nothing to keep me coming back.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch