Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Shock Top Belgian WhiteShock Top Belgian White

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Witbier

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

Added by Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

Reviews: 780 | Ratings: 3,588
4.21/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I like the orange aroma of this beer. But the aroma is much better than the taste. Medium small white head that disappear really quickly. Really light and easy to drink.

3.37/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On draft at a D-backs game. Pours a nice looking hazy orange. 2 fingers of white fluffy head. The obligatory orange slice was added for good measure.

Aroma... Not much. The orange wedge is enhancing the orange aroma, but overall, I get generic citrus and wheat.

Taste reminds me of a wheat version of a bud lite. Not aggressive, nor flavorful, but harmless with a baseball game. Thin, watery, under-carbonated, and nothing close to anything Belgian. It does beat a bud light though. Wheat and generic citrus is all I can say.

I see this pairing well with nachos or pretzel bites and cheese sauce. It gets a 67/100.

2.7/5  rDev -10%

Cloudy orange pours a good strong head but quickly disappears and lacks creaminess. The only smell is of slight wheat. Easy to drink just not much taste. No bitterness but does have a little bit of a wheat aftertaste. Feels like any beer from A.B. Overall not awful but below average.

3.36/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy light straw in color with a big white head that disappear quickly.

Smell of wheat mostly with a little touch of spices.

Not a bad taste actually, nice orange flavors with a good presence of wheat.

Nice mouth feel, really easy to drink.

3.01/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from 473 ml can.

L - three-finger head which reduces to 2 fingers in 1 minute, and thin layer for half of drink Creamy, white, lots of bubbles. A bit hazy, pale orange-yellow in colour.
S - wheat, some orange peel, a touch of coriander.
T - mild, a little watery, some orange peel, a little coriander, no sweetness or bitterness. Not as much orange as expected.
F - mild, watery, not much creaminess, no sweetness or bitterness.
O - nothing spectacular. Very commercial. Typical mass-produced beer with nothing special to offer.

4.31/5  rDev +43.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Drank from bottle. Pours a nice orange with cloudiness. Tastes of oranges, coriander, and lemon lime. Excellent beer at a great price. Even though it is a made by the largest brewer in the world I think this beer is a winner.

1.42/5  rDev -52.7%

Easily the worst so called "ale" ever brewed. Compared to real ales, such as Newcastle, this stuff is like soda pop. I've never been so disappointed by an ale. This applies to ALL flavors of this disgusting concoction. What were the "brewmasters" thinking? Ewww!

1.98/5  rDev -34%

This beer was recommended to me as being "pretty good" by someone who drinks quantity over quality, but I expected better of this. This seems to be a popular beer at parties lately. I don't really understand why. It looks alright when poured; I followed their instructions on the bottle to swirl the last half-inch to pick up the solids and spices. Even with that, the head was weak, maybe just a coating.
It doesn't smell objectionable, because, well, it didn't smell strongly of anything.
As for taste, it's like drinking Blue Moon when you have a cold and have no sense of smell. I did not sense much of the spice, aroma, or flavor that was advertised.
I don't hold it against Shock Top that its produced by A-B; I'm not opposed to mass-produced beer if it's good. This one though, really wasn't worth drinking.

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Always kinda enjoyed it, but never really impressed by it. It's always present at a summer party and seems to work well in that sense.

Light, refreshing beer. Decent flavor but almost always over carbonated.

2.83/5  rDev -5.7%

L: pale, golden, small 1/4 inch head
S: not much there, slightly hoppy
T: mildly hoppy on the start and finish, light notes of spice and citrus
F: smooth with a little carbonation
O: very drinkable but just not as flavorful as I would like

2.64/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I saw this advertised. (Ads create demand. right?) But I never looked closely at the ad closely. With zero investigation, something seemed to me not quite right.
The beer was given to me by someone who was leaving town (a second clue.)
Ignoring evidence and intuition, I pop open Shock Top.
No big deal... to be charitable. To be accurate, very bland beer.
I read the label for the first time. Certainly way below the label's promise. Who makes this stuff?
I go to BA.
The product is owned by A-B.
Oh, it all makes sense to me now.
Do I review the beer? This quandary still gnaws at my conscience.
I decide; I rate this beer. But I decide not to say anything because the rules are "Respect Beer."
So this review is the story of mass marketing, but not teaching the masses about quality... which is what advertising should do... And what Beer Advocate does.

3.36/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light golden color with a nice thick head that slowly fizzles out along with fast rising bubbles. Very attractive appearance. Nose is malty with strong citrus. Taste is slightly hoppier than most Belgian whites. Other than that, not too remarkable. I didn't like the feel, it felt over carbonated and stings the tongue slightly. Other than that the finish is pretty good. Overall a decent brew.

2.74/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2/10/16 Washington DC ($5 12 oz draft pour into beer mug at Harry's Pub w/ Orange slice). Cloudy blonde pour, medium white head, minimal lacing. Orange aroma and flavor, some carbonation, light and easy going down. OK offering though somewhat bland.

1.83/5  rDev -39%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

tastes like cheap beer. 5.2% alcohol, but the alcohol is at the front. watered down mushy feel on the tongue. plus I hate coriander. This is not distinct enough to notice the coriander much. I don't like Budwieser, but I would rather drink a Bud light then this mediocre beer.

I have nothing against mass produced beers. Anheuser-Busch is going to have to considered making better beer for the masses to continue drinking their products. For a few dollars more anyone can buy a six pack of great tasting micro brew. I can't imagine once people taste great beer they will want to go back. No matter how much $ is spent on marketing. Give me a Stone, or Deschutes, Odell IPA anyday over this shitty beer.

2.31/5  rDev -23%

2 years ago I would have said "a new favorite", but in the past year I have developed more of a taste for better beer. I picked up a six pack cos non-better-beer-appreciating-family was in town and I didn't want to offer something they wouldn't appreciate. I cracked on for myself to see what I thought about it now. I found it looked ok, not great,very faint smell I'd expect from a wheat beer, tasted very bland compared to better beers, felt thin and overall was drinkable but not particularly enjoyable. I don't feel I'm disrespecting anyone here cos I doubt the Brewer is going to see what people think. But this was a beer that started my exploration from miller light to other, better beers. Some props for that!

2.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Hazy, cloudy, almost milky in color with a thin white head. The aroma is fruity...orange and lemon, with some light malt underneath. I expected more yeast aroma, spice, or bread. Light in flavor as well. A bit of sweetness, some malt, and fruit. Light to medium in body. Not really offensive, but not great either.

3.73/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Looks hazy golden yellow with a creamy white head that floats quickly away.

Not much on the smell, mostly bready smelling with just a hint of citrus way in the back.

Tastes of some citrus, again slightly muted, and some hint of spices.

Mouth feel leans toward a medium creamy feel with a nice clean finish.

Shock Top is a pleasantly refreshing beer that I could see myself purchasing for that summer BBQ.

3/5  rDev 0%

pours a hazy, peachy straw with a small head. nose; light gum & extremely light citrus zest. taste; mild wheat malt, mild orange zest/pith, and trace coriander. no real hops, fruit or spice that stick around. medium+ carbonation & light mouthfeel. after half a glass, you simply cannot shake the sensation of drinking empty-calorie starch water. as with blue moon, there's a good reason they put a piece of actual orange in the bottle. i did enjoy this more than the blue moon though, as it seemed to keep some semblance of the pulp notes for the entire glass.

1.79/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Cloudy dark straw color with storming activity. Slightly foamy white 1 finger head, lasting around 5-10 minutes, with average legs. Flavors of sweet grains, citrus, lime, noble hops, faint floral feel and corn. A little sweet yet astringent bitter. Thick full body with extra prickly carbonation. Medium strength finish from a highly bitter grassy spicy feel that is unusual for a witbier. Weird chalky citrus mouthfeel. Low freshness and highly acidic. Overall poor quality stuff. The lemon flavor is not pleasant and too harsh. Overly dry and too bold. Feels adjunct. It's almost disgusting and undrinkable.

3.24/5  rDev +8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours pale, golden, hazy with a very mild white foam head. Aroma is citric and yeasty. Taste is kind of odd for the style, refreshing but a bit smokey, not a very nice example but drinkable.

2.36/5  rDev -21.3%

Has a medium white head. Nice pale amber color. Smells a little fruity. Very watered down, faint traces of wheat and some kind of citrus is present. Easy to drink.

3.14/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Citrus smell; stronger smell than taste. Somewhat bland taste, you can feel the orange lightly. The white head didn't last long. It's an acceptable beer, I'd drink it again with no problem but I don't look forward to the day I have to.

3.09/5  rDev +3%

Hazy wheat color leaning a little Orange. White head didn't last. Smell was light citrus/Orange. Taste was just a hint of Orange, but that hint took it from something I expected to be bud Light, over to something that wasn't bad at all. Not as much of a fruit or "flavored" beer as others from shock top. Nice offering from a macro. I'll take it.

2.82/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured a hazy orange hue with a little bit of lacing. Smells faintly of wheat and spices. Not much for taste either but it is refreshing nonetheless. Probably the weakest Belgian wheat I have had so far.

2.64/5  rDev -12%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Ok. Last beer of the evening at a place with limited choices (but there was hockey on so it was ok). Not much taste here. Made me wish that Blue Moon was on tap!

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch