1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Belgian WhiteShock Top Belgian White

poor

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Ratings: 2,412 | Reviews: 668 | Show All Ratings:
Ohiolager

2.51/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

shock top Belgian white 6pk bottles $7.99(OH)

12 oz twist off brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. no freshness date and fresh beer only has no info.

pours a hazy gold almost orange color. two fingers of bright white thin head, gives way to a thin layer remaining on top. virtually no lacing to speak of.

i smell faint hints of orange, forms of citrus, malts, wheat's and hops.

the taste is better than the smell but not by much. tastes mainly like oranges, hints of wheat and hops. not bad, but not too good either.

mouth feel is decent. feels like orange juice in my mouth. slightly creamy and a hint of spicy.

overall i did not enjoy this very much. better than most A-B inbev brews, but that is not saying much. a decent brew however i am pretty picky and would not buy this again. but if offered one i wouldn't say no.

04-01-2014 03:48:44 | More by Ohiolager
FMJ921

3.24/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Nice light citrus flavor with a nice citrus aroma. Goes down easy, but is a bit too sweet if you drink a few in a row. After three or four it starts to leave an unpleasant syrupy aftertaste. Overall I really like it, but no more than a few at a time.

03-28-2014 23:53:14 | More by FMJ921
PaulAndrew

Arkansas

2.53/5  rDev -14.8%

I am usually a big fan of Belgian's but this was almost like drinking perfume. It tastes like what my grandmother smelled like- no offense grandma. I would have possibly enjoyed it more if it had a stronger wheat taste, more like Blue Moon or countless others.

03-09-2014 08:45:40 | More by PaulAndrew
LiquidAmber

Washington

3.08/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a weizen glass. This is so ubiquitous I've wanted to try it for a while. Pours a hazy, light golden amber with a half finger white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of sweet malt, light citrus and a hint of Belgian yeast. Flavor is washed out orange, mild wheat and hints of coriander. Finishes with an odd light coriander, mild citrus with a hint of hops. Light bodied. Well, the looks and aroma gave me hope and I was prepared to be pleasantly surprised, but this was as expected a washed out version of the witbier style. The flavors are there, but associated with citrus that tastes like watered down orange juice or one of those old, dried oranges that have lost their bright taste. The flavor is so attenuated that the coriander tastes out of place in the finish. I would not buy this again and don't see the point of brewing it. The nice interplay of wheat and spices from witbier are missing here. Like most AB products, harmless enough to finish, but no reason to repeat.

03-06-2014 21:08:10 | More by LiquidAmber
nicholas2121

3.23/5  rDev +8.8%

Shock Top Belgian White brew by Anheuser-Busch. I don't like the appearance of this brew- too cloudy. This brew is not filtered. But I beleive that is how all wheat brews are. The brew pours out a cloudy amber color. Taste is good ; you can taste the wheat and the orange. Overall, I like this brew. The taste is where it's at, bold flavor and smooth going down.

02-26-2014 04:31:28 | More by nicholas2121
Nick-K

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I had been looking forward to trying this brew for a while after enjoying the Shock Top End of the World chili infused beer. As a fan of Blue Moon I figured give another mass produced "Belgian White" a shot. The results were a bit disappointing.

Appearance:
Poured from bottle to Pilsner glass
Cloudy, wheat color with delicate streaks of carbonation, inch and a half of head that faded quickly, nothing intriguing.

Smell:
Crisp citrus scents with orange peel dominating (the label is a faithful representation in this respect). I actually quite liked the qualities of the smell but it was a weak scent that required me to stick my nose in the glass and breathe deeply to get anything. So well engineered but too weak.

Taste:
Citrus notes continue to dominate but not distinct orange taste which was a bit of a disappointment, wheat notes also present. Crisp and clean but void of complexity.

Mouthfeel:
Nothing stuck out one way or the other, the finish was clean but no distinguishing characteristics otherwise.

Overall impression:

For a cheap, American Belgian White, stick with Blue Moon. Shock top had potential but missed the mark, as so many great men have said before "Go big or go home!"

02-01-2014 21:08:23 | More by Nick-K
archyquaffer

Montana

3.35/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm reviewing both Shock Top alone and as a black and tan made with their "Chock Top" chocolate wheat beer. A moderate pour of the Shock Top produces just a short-lived creamy white head. It's quite pale, hazy and moderately carbonated. After sampling the Shock Top alone, I re-poured the bottom of the glass with Chock Top, then gently poured a layer of Shock Top over a spoon. The two beers separate fairly well, but its a bit tricky, since an earlier attempt had failed utterly. Still, the separation can be distinctly seen.

I reviewed Chock Top by itself a little while back, and thought it one of the best chocolate beers I had sampled- I just think it works with this style, and could be emulated. The addition of the Shock Top in a black and tan brings about some flavors reminiscent of one of those orange chocolate candies. Shock Top alone is nothing special, with some lemony-orange, and grassy tones, and easy drinking, but nothing too distinctive. The two combined are really quite nice, since the chocolate flavor is tough to subdue, and the Shock Top quiets it down a bit while adding some citrus notes. The number ratings are for the Shock Top alone, however. If I could rate them together, I would probably add a quarter or half point in each category.

01-29-2014 06:47:52 | More by archyquaffer
mando_thegreat

3.83/5  rDev +29%

Shock top belgian white is absolutely delicious . Everything down from the taste to the packaging. Its citrus like taste adds points. The orange slice with the sunglasses is pretty cool too. It makes you feel good when you drink this beer. I give a good score to it. I will most certainly be getting this beer in the future

01-26-2014 02:18:37 | More by mando_thegreat
Rhf9120

Rhode Island

3.86/5  rDev +30%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden straw color with a thin white head. Smells of wheat, hops, and slight hints of citrus. The taste very citrusy with mild hints of hops and wheat. The mouth feel was pleasant with slight carbonation. I tried it both without the orange and with both are good however i found with the orange the beer became a little too citrusy for me. Overall it was a decent beer.

01-06-2014 15:13:14 | More by Rhf9120
The_Haff

2.95/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Got this one in a split pack with Shock Top's Chocolate Wheat brew.

The appearance, was a quite beautiful golden color with a thin head.

The smell, was a nice clean wheat and hops smell.

The taste, was an in your face citrus attack. I was not a fan and also didn't much care for mixing it with the Chocolate Wheat that the package recommended.

Mouthfeel, was pretty smooth with some light pleasant bubbles.

Overall, I wasn't much of fan of the citrus flavor but everything else about it was solid.

01-04-2014 06:37:50 | More by The_Haff
a0lbudman

Alabama

3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

A-hazy gold with a small white head
S-orange fruit smell with some corander and a hint of vinilla and a bready smell
T-orange jumps out at you at first with a sweet bready taste. Has a slight tart taste in the aftertaste
M-light body with medium cabonation
O-Okay beer

12-26-2013 03:00:11 | More by a0lbudman
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

3.95/5  rDev +33%

Sampled in a bottle back on 11/20/13. Chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a pilsner glass.

I had this on tap many times before, especially back in Orlando and was served with a orange slice. From the Shock Top Brewing Company in St. Louis (the Bud folks), their "SHOCK TOP ~ BELGIAN WHITE" pours a hazy orange-yellow in color with a 2-finger fizzy white head that doesn't last long. Above average carbonation. Some spotty lacing was seen. The aroma is of some grains with some citrus and spice. The taste was the same and a little 'watered down' like most Bud brews BUT is still better than most of their brews.

11-22-2013 21:20:06 | More by BeerWithMike
MichaelDavidSharbaugh

Georgia

2.34/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

The beer was in a bottle, and was inviting because it was labeled "Belgium Ale." It was light on the tongue and milky -- SKIM milky -- on the palate. Had a metallic after-taste that barely buzzed me. Had no idea this was an Anheuser-Busch product, but after tasting it, I realized it was like having a Bud Light Platinum with slight creamy finish.

11-19-2013 20:54:24 | More by MichaelDavidSharbaugh
Boggdogg

2.39/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy orangish yellow color with small head and little lacing. Not much aroma either but I do get a hint of citrus smell. Taste is very bland like a popular light beer not really what I expected. Do not taste the citrus really don't taste anything. No bitterness detected at all and very slight orange aftertaste. Overall it's drinkable but tasteless.

10-28-2013 02:55:26 | More by Boggdogg
warpig372

Indiana

3.8/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Somewhat a cloudy orange

S - Sweet, almost too sweet.

T - Taste is ok but i was expecting more "Umf" to it.

M - Very watery to me.

O - Not a bad beer but not a great beer by any standard.

Overall this beer did better than expected. The only drawback was the beer was similar to a citrus Lite beer. I was expecting more of a punch but it was OK. Good summer Beer but very light to seasoned beer drinkers.

10-09-2013 23:37:12 | More by warpig372
apu1

Maryland

3.49/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tastes more like bud light with a small hint of citrus. Very smooth and easy to drink. Doesn't smell too bad either and the alcohol is just right. Gets you a nice buzz too. I have yet to try any of the other flavors but I'm more inclined to save pumpkin for last and get raspberry next time.

09-24-2013 19:37:34 | More by apu1
Beerwolf666

Maryland

3.89/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Seems like this Beer gets a lot of Negative reviews,and as I sit here drinking my first "Shock Top Belgian white" I really do not understand why,sure there are better Belgian Witbiers out there ..but Honestly,I am enjoying this one quite a bit! and think all in all,this is a very nice Beer,very nice Indeed!Smooth,Crisp & super refreshing:)I think the sour edge may put some people off this brew,but I Myself like the tartness of it,I Never let reviews put me off trying a Beer,Because when all is said and done,we all have our own personal tastes and preferences,and a lot of Beers I enjoy quite a Bit are rated really Low here on this site,yet swill I would not let a pig drink [Steel Reserve 211] gets a very high rating by the Bros..LMAO,Really? an "88" score for Flat,rusty tasting,nasty as hell Steel Reserve malt Liquor? and Heineken gets rated as 'Poor"?~hehehe,Oh well man,to each his own I guess,just goes to show you should never take anyone elses word for something,not Mine,Not the "Bros",no ones,I enjoy reading a lot of reviews to see what other people think,but thats about it,I like to make my own mind up & draw my own conclusions,and so should you guys/Gals~Cheers & Peace2All.

09-16-2013 22:15:02 | More by Beerwolf666
SleepyEast

1.69/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Not a fan of this beer. Had it more than a few times. Some times it was more enjoyable than others. This time not so much.

Bottle has no date which always bothers me. Pour gives a cloudy orange/ brown color. One finger head which leaves very quickly. Almost as if it was never there. First thing I smell is coriander. Very, very strong. Orange follows behind as expected but is more mellow than I think it should be (especially considering the label). Tons of carbonation on the tongue. A bit too much for me. Getting a strange watery, bitter orange juice flavor with the overpowering flavor of coriander. Doesn't work well on my palate. By far the worst part of this experience is the lingering after taste. Very hard to describe. Makes my mouth pucker but not in a dry wine kind of way.

This is my second time drinking this beer this week and both times I seem to get this wierd stomach ache. Expired? No way to tell since there is no date... On other occasions I've had this it has been more palatable. If I reviewed this when I had it last year it would be a solid 3. This time I didn't enjoy it at all.

08-26-2013 05:34:15 | More by SleepyEast
JohnnyJam

Arizona

3.11/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I bought this beer for $11.99 for a 12-pack. I thought I would give it a go for that price. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a date code that I don't know what it is and into a pint glass. Poured 1/2 the bottle, gave it a swirl, and aggressively poured the rest. I got 1 1/2 fingers of head.

A: Pours a yellow, hazy color with 1 1/2 fingers of head that settle very quickly to form a ring of foam around the glass and that will last until the end. Little to no lacing.

S: Not really a lot there. I was expecting a smell of spices or citrus. It doesn't smell bad; there is just nothing.

T: There is a little spice and some wheat. Again, not a lot going on there.

M: It goes down smooth. Light, nicely carbonated, and makes me want to take another sip. It ends dry.

O: I say it's not bad. I kind of like it because it's easy drinking. I would serve it and recommend it if you haven't tried it. Have one and let's talk about it.

08-20-2013 02:21:49 | More by JohnnyJam
jjamadorphd

4.1/5  rDev +38%

Another good Shock Top offering...

I was impressed with the good gold color of the beer. These Belgian's don't always impress me with their hue but this one looks good. Unfortunately, little to no head, and no staying power - but it was a very bright white color - I'll give it that. I also liked the soothing wheat smell mixed in with hops - it was just right. The carbonation was just right, and the taste was exactly what I smelled, which is a big plus up for me. Overall, I was impressed - it was smooth and refreshing, while packing a decent punch.

08-17-2013 02:22:01 | More by jjamadorphd
jaffers

New Hampshire

2.09/5  rDev -29.6%

I'm not a fan of this beer. Smells like OJ, tastes like watered-down OJ. Unpleasant, lingering aftertaste. It pales in comparison to other similar brews including Blue Moon, which is average at best in my opinion. Surprised to see it was over 5% ABV. Would not buy it again.

08-14-2013 22:35:20 | More by jaffers
CDRSchafer

3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Even though this isn't an actual craft beer, I think they did a decent job with it, certainly as good as Coors did with Blue Moon.

Although the real reason I bought it is because Ft Sam has it for $12.50 a case and I couldn't pass up a deal like that. Keep it cold and it's a great beer for a 105 degree day here in south Texas. I wouldn't pay much more than that for it, but when it's cheaper than Pabst . . .

08-09-2013 15:16:52 | More by CDRSchafer
BillB007

Georgia

2.93/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I really like the shock top raspberry wheat so tried this thinking it would be the orange peel version but it was disappointing. It was just an OK beer, nothing special. I drank it and it wasn't unpleasant but nothing worth crowing about. No hint of the orange flavor I was expecting.

07-05-2013 01:05:59 | More by BillB007
ElijahRivera

2.24/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

12 oz. Bottle from a 12-pack that I got for free.

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a one inch off white head. No lacing.

S- Mostly I get a candy-sweet orange in the nose with some grain. Smells like an orange Starburst.

T- Sweet orange up front, then I get some spice that must be the coriander. The orange flavor tastes very artificial. I guess the wheat is there, but not the way you'd want it to be. It finishes with some off tasting grain, corn, and fusel alcohol flavors that help you remember that you are drinking an AB product. Whereas, a better witbier would help you forget that you are imbibing alcohol.

M- The mouth feel is reminiscent of a witbier, but it is too thin and not smooth enough to be a good example of the style. Also, the carbonation isn't there.

O- This is worse than I remember it being, and I remember really not liking it. It essentially tastes like an orange extract, mimed coriander, and almost wheat flavored Budweiser, which is very marketable but not very good.

06-09-2013 01:58:39 | More by ElijahRivera
ThePaintedGrey

2.4/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured poorly by a friend from a bottle into a pint glass a few days ago (jotted notes in my phone for review purposes, because I'm THAT guy).

A: Pale, cloudy gold-orange hybrid color. A bit more transparent and less color intensity than its most famous comparison, Blue Moon. Head didn't retain very well--dissipated to a very lackluster white lace, reminiscent of a light lager. This might have been a result of the poor pouring job. Not something I'd look at and think, "Damn. I want what he/she is drinking."

S: Orange above all, by my nose. Hints (very small hints) of coriander upon second or third sniff. Not a very aromatic beer, in my opinion.

T: Very orangey. Very fake. It's almost as though someone dropped an orange-flavored hardcandy in my beer. It's almost sour at points. If you concentrate really hard, you might find some wheat in there, hidden amongst the orange. I see what they were going for, but it wasn't executed well.

M: Mild to moderate carbonation. It almost feels soda-like in my mouth; it's light and crisp. It's not particularly bad, but it's not what I was hoping for, nor what I look for.

O: In a bit of harsh honesty, I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this and Anheuser-Busch didn't do a great job of changing my mind. While it's certainly not the worst beer I've had, it's definitely low on the list. It just comes off too... I don't know... Artificial tasting. I suppose this beer is acceptable if your only other choices are light beers, or if you're trying to open to door for someone to stray away from light beers; otherwise, it's best to leave this one on the shelf.

06-08-2013 09:02:25 | More by ThePaintedGrey