Follow our progress ...

Shock Top Belgian WhiteShock Top Belgian White

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Witbier

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

Added by Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

Reviews: 789 | Ratings: 3,628
3.33/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Hazy pale yellow to light orange, half inch plus head
Corn, wheat, pear, apple, grain, grass
Lightly sweet and malty wheat, apple, pear
Tingly, medium bodies
A decent beer right where cheap meets craft. Served it with a grapefruit garnish, perfect for summer sunday evening

3.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from bottle into a 16oz Shocktop Pilsner glass. Orangy/yellow color. Decent white head, which quickly disappeared to nothing. Taste was minimal. It wasn't bad, there just was not much going on at all. Just a hint of the orange in the smell, but minimal. Doesn't really hang around in the mouth much at all. Overall, it's an easily drinkable beer with 5.2% alcohol content, which might very well be its best quality. Not great, but it'll do. It'll do just fine.

3.29/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On draft poured into a pint glass, the beer is a hazy apricot with minimal lacing.

It has a nose of grains and spice. It is subtle but you can pick-up some orange and coriander.

The taste is a bit muted but there are the expected wheat and spice aspects. The orange peel kicks in mid-glass and tastes a bit artificial.

The mouth is decent with a bit of heft and stickiness.

Not a beer I would search out, but I would have it again if it was the best option or is someone was buying.

3.31/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a frosty yellow-orange color with a medium-thin white head. Head dissipates quickly and has left behind no lacing. Citrus, orange peel, and coriander in the aroma. The whole aroma has an off putting metallic tint to it as well. Coriander and orange peel notes are present throughout the entire sip. Flavor profile is accentuated by a little Belgian style yeast, with banana, cloves, and citrus. Mouth feel is medium-thin, and on the watery side. Overall, it's a decent beer. It certainly doesn't have the most going on, but it is well balanced and executed. Bottom line: it's easy drinking. The pickiest eater I know picks this beer, and I see why. It's simplistic and straightforward without too much complexity.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

4.47/5  rDev +48.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer is the best! I love the orange aftertaste and the overall feel while drinking it. My No. 1 beer to go to, when I can afford it of course. No need to add and orange with this one because it has a pretty strong taste already. Great for chilling at the house after work. I see it as a reward!

3.47/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2016-05-21 in Coatsville, PA after the Tough Mudder event today. On-tap

A- Mildly-hazy yellow-gold with a 1.2 finger white head and mild lace

S - Mild aromas of wheat bread, coriander and orange flesh

T - Innocuous wheat flavor with some light orange flesh and coriander..

M - Light body and medium-high carbonation. Easy to drink.

O - Not bad. I was glad for it after this big event so I wasn't being too fussy. It hit the spot on this particular day although Shock Top beers were the only ones being served.

Pours a dark rusty orange and slight particulate.

Orange zest and other citrus fruit in aroma.

Orange peel, lemon zest, grainy.

Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Overall, drinkable, but man these being unfiltered will give you one hell of a hangover. Stick to one.

2.82/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

OK, I tried it. Poured from a can to a nonic.

Cloudy yellow-gold... with a faint orange cast, if I am not mislead by the can's color scheme. White head forms quickly but is not too durable. Nose bready, with also a whiff of toilet bowl sanitizer or air freshener? Perhaps that is the fruitiness but it seems somehow artificial. Taste is a bit sharp on entry, then some bready malt flavor emerges. The overall flavor is not too big though the malt and some fruit elements are present - but the flavor all seems to be watered down somewhat. Mouthfeel sudsy, then a bit astringent.

2.93/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

1 pint can condition poured into pilsner glassware - $4.5 for four

One of the only thing's I enjoy about this beer is its appearance - there are bits and pieces of coriander, the murky orange yellow appearance - outside of that this beer is awful.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: average head, golden in color, slightly cloudy
Aroma: orange, and lemon notes with some spice notes
Palate: smooth and lightly carbonated
Flavor: smooth and refreshing, neutral flavor

4.21/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I like the orange aroma of this beer. But the aroma is much better than the taste. Medium small white head that disappear really quickly. Really light and easy to drink.

3.37/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On draft at a D-backs game. Pours a nice looking hazy orange. 2 fingers of white fluffy head. The obligatory orange slice was added for good measure.

Aroma... Not much. The orange wedge is enhancing the orange aroma, but overall, I get generic citrus and wheat.

Taste reminds me of a wheat version of a bud lite. Not aggressive, nor flavorful, but harmless with a baseball game. Thin, watery, under-carbonated, and nothing close to anything Belgian. It does beat a bud light though. Wheat and generic citrus is all I can say.

I see this pairing well with nachos or pretzel bites and cheese sauce. It gets a 67/100.

2.7/5  rDev -10.3%

Cloudy orange pours a good strong head but quickly disappears and lacks creaminess. The only smell is of slight wheat. Easy to drink just not much taste. No bitterness but does have a little bit of a wheat aftertaste. Feels like any beer from A.B. Overall not awful but below average.

3.36/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy light straw in color with a big white head that disappear quickly.

Smell of wheat mostly with a little touch of spices.

Not a bad taste actually, nice orange flavors with a good presence of wheat.

Nice mouth feel, really easy to drink.

3.01/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from 473 ml can.

L - three-finger head which reduces to 2 fingers in 1 minute, and thin layer for half of drink Creamy, white, lots of bubbles. A bit hazy, pale orange-yellow in colour.
S - wheat, some orange peel, a touch of coriander.
T - mild, a little watery, some orange peel, a little coriander, no sweetness or bitterness. Not as much orange as expected.
F - mild, watery, not much creaminess, no sweetness or bitterness.
O - nothing spectacular. Very commercial. Typical mass-produced beer with nothing special to offer.

4.31/5  rDev +43.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Drank from bottle. Pours a nice orange with cloudiness. Tastes of oranges, coriander, and lemon lime. Excellent beer at a great price. Even though it is a made by the largest brewer in the world I think this beer is a winner.

1.42/5  rDev -52.8%

Easily the worst so called "ale" ever brewed. Compared to real ales, such as Newcastle, this stuff is like soda pop. I've never been so disappointed by an ale. This applies to ALL flavors of this disgusting concoction. What were the "brewmasters" thinking? Ewww!

1.98/5  rDev -34.2%

This beer was recommended to me as being "pretty good" by someone who drinks quantity over quality, but I expected better of this. This seems to be a popular beer at parties lately. I don't really understand why. It looks alright when poured; I followed their instructions on the bottle to swirl the last half-inch to pick up the solids and spices. Even with that, the head was weak, maybe just a coating.
It doesn't smell objectionable, because, well, it didn't smell strongly of anything.
As for taste, it's like drinking Blue Moon when you have a cold and have no sense of smell. I did not sense much of the spice, aroma, or flavor that was advertised.
I don't hold it against Shock Top that its produced by A-B; I'm not opposed to mass-produced beer if it's good. This one though, really wasn't worth drinking.

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Always kinda enjoyed it, but never really impressed by it. It's always present at a summer party and seems to work well in that sense.

Light, refreshing beer. Decent flavor but almost always over carbonated.

2.83/5  rDev -6%

L: pale, golden, small 1/4 inch head
S: not much there, slightly hoppy
T: mildly hoppy on the start and finish, light notes of spice and citrus
F: smooth with a little carbonation
O: very drinkable but just not as flavorful as I would like

2.64/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I saw this advertised. (Ads create demand. right?) But I never looked closely at the ad closely. With zero investigation, something seemed to me not quite right.
The beer was given to me by someone who was leaving town (a second clue.)
Ignoring evidence and intuition, I pop open Shock Top.
No big deal... to be charitable. To be accurate, very bland beer.
I read the label for the first time. Certainly way below the label's promise. Who makes this stuff?
I go to BA.
The product is owned by A-B.
Oh, it all makes sense to me now.
Do I review the beer? This quandary still gnaws at my conscience.
I decide; I rate this beer. But I decide not to say anything because the rules are "Respect Beer."
So this review is the story of mass marketing, but not teaching the masses about quality... which is what advertising should do... And what Beer Advocate does.

3.36/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light golden color with a nice thick head that slowly fizzles out along with fast rising bubbles. Very attractive appearance. Nose is malty with strong citrus. Taste is slightly hoppier than most Belgian whites. Other than that, not too remarkable. I didn't like the feel, it felt over carbonated and stings the tongue slightly. Other than that the finish is pretty good. Overall a decent brew.

2.74/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2/10/16 Washington DC ($5 12 oz draft pour into beer mug at Harry's Pub w/ Orange slice). Cloudy blonde pour, medium white head, minimal lacing. Orange aroma and flavor, some carbonation, light and easy going down. OK offering though somewhat bland.

1.83/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

tastes like cheap beer. 5.2% alcohol, but the alcohol is at the front. watered down mushy feel on the tongue. plus I hate coriander. This is not distinct enough to notice the coriander much. I don't like Budwieser, but I would rather drink a Bud light then this mediocre beer.

I have nothing against mass produced beers. Anheuser-Busch is going to have to considered making better beer for the masses to continue drinking their products. For a few dollars more anyone can buy a six pack of great tasting micro brew. I can't imagine once people taste great beer they will want to go back. No matter how much $ is spent on marketing. Give me a Stone, or Deschutes, Odell IPA anyday over this shitty beer.

2.31/5  rDev -23.3%

2 years ago I would have said "a new favorite", but in the past year I have developed more of a taste for better beer. I picked up a six pack cos non-better-beer-appreciating-family was in town and I didn't want to offer something they wouldn't appreciate. I cracked on for myself to see what I thought about it now. I found it looked ok, not great,very faint smell I'd expect from a wheat beer, tasted very bland compared to better beers, felt thin and overall was drinkable but not particularly enjoyable. I don't feel I'm disrespecting anyone here cos I doubt the Brewer is going to see what people think. But this was a beer that started my exploration from miller light to other, better beers. Some props for that!

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch