Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 760 | Hads: 3,479
3.24/5  rDev +8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours pale, golden, hazy with a very mild white foam head. Aroma is citric and yeasty. Taste is kind of odd for the style, refreshing but a bit smokey, not a very nice example but drinkable.

2.36/5  rDev -21.3%

Has a medium white head. Nice pale amber color. Smells a little fruity. Very watered down, faint traces of wheat and some kind of citrus is present. Easy to drink.

2.97/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Citrus smell; stronger smell than taste. Somewhat bland taste, you can feel the orange lightly. The white head didn't last long. It's an acceptable beer, I'd drink it again with no problem but I don't look forward to the day I have to.

3.09/5  rDev +3%

Hazy wheat color leaning a little Orange. White head didn't last. Smell was light citrus/Orange. Taste was just a hint of Orange, but that hint took it from something I expected to be bud Light, over to something that wasn't bad at all. Not as much of a fruit or "flavored" beer as others from shock top. Nice offering from a macro. I'll take it.

2.82/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured a hazy orange hue with a little bit of lacing. Smells faintly of wheat and spices. Not much for taste either but it is refreshing nonetheless. Probably the weakest Belgian wheat I have had so far.

2.64/5  rDev -12%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Ok. Last beer of the evening at a place with limited choices (but there was hockey on so it was ok). Not much taste here. Made me wish that Blue Moon was on tap!

3.67/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not too bad. Much more restrained in its orange flavor than the other big Belgian White, Blue Moon. Not a huge amount of flavor, but crisp and pleasant.

3.16/5  rDev +5.3%

I had this beer on tap at Shopsy's, a sports bar on the campus of York University in Toronto, ON (Canada) and drank it from a flute.

Look: Although the beer is brewed by a giant corporation, meaning Anheuser-Busch, the beer has a juicy and cloudy look. You can't see through it. Its body has a light shade of orange that is close to gold, which makes it look like milk mixed with orange juice. The white head is one-finger high and recedes to a ring. Moreover, there is a light carbonation. Based on the look, the beer closely adheres to the style guidelines of the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP).

Smell: The nose of this Witbier is weak compared to that of its better counterparts. Of course, we can smell some citric acid as well as the moderate sweetness of orange. The orange zests were hardly discernible.

Taste: The palate tastes like a bitter juice of orange zests toned down by notes of either honey or banana. Then the beer becomes sour, which is not a bad thing. However, the finale was disappointing. The notes of herbal spices, in this case coriander, leaves us under the impression that the brewers only added a few dashes in the mix. This means that there is a residual sweetness during the last phase of the tasting. Moreover, what the beer lacks in terms of spiciness, it seems to make up for it with its crisp finish. In short, this beer strays away from the style guidelines by not having noticeable notes of herbal spices.

Feel: Whilst the beer is too light in the department of flavours, the brewers got the mouthfeel more or less right. The beer was a little bit watery. It doesn't have the creaminess you would expect from other Witbiers. During the finish, expect a crisp feel as I mentioned in the previous paragraph. There is no bitterness on the dry finish as the objective of a Witbier is to be refreshing.

Overall: Whether you like Anheuser-Busch or not, you must give credit where credit is due. The ABV, which is at 5.20%, is between the recommended range, which is 4.5-5.5%. Shock Top Belgian White is not a sophisticated Witbier that comes from a microbrewery. After all, the brewer admits that he or she "added a little coriander spice to the mix" on the label. This is your keyword that reflects the brewer's objective to only do the minimum and offer a refreshing beer. All in all, this beer is made to please to the masses.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow hazy color, citrus smell, light mouthfeel, watery thin tasting. 4th of the variety 12 pack. So far I'm not a fan of Shock Top. Looks like a craft beer, taste like the macrobrew it is. Good marketing, poor product.

3.79/5  rDev +26.3%

I'm Homeless

We're selling our house and buying another, but meanwhile we're staying at the Residence Inn. They serve food a few nights a week, and they always have beer. They always have interesting stuff too, beers that I otherwise might not ever try. Unfortunately they only permit two beers per room, but we've figured a way to get around that. A cute Latina is in charge of the meals, and I've impressed her with my Spanish skills and humor, and she doesn't mind that I take a couple (or a few) extras.

What were we talking about? Oh right. The Shock Top Belgian White. I only like Belgian whites when I'm in the mood for it, but the other night all they had was this, another white beer that I didn't like at all, and Bud Light so I had to go with this. I wasn't in the mood for Belgian White, but this was really good. I prefer to pour it into a glass and see the color and smell the aroma, but they didn't have beer glasses so I had to drink it right out of the bottle. It has a very subtle yet not too subtle taste, and I was loving it. This is even better than Leinenkugel's.

I'm probably not going to drive across town to get this, but I was NOT disappointed.

3.78/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've had the opportunity to buy lots of Shock Top in bulk over the last year, so I've had plenty of time to get acquainted (and used to) their beers. So tonight, I'm RE-reviewing the Belgian White.

A : Poured into a globe snifter. The appearance is hazy orange-yellow, with 90% opacity. The head initially is very large, but gradually recedes to a fluffy ring.

S : Lots of wheat, and a bit of both juiced and peeled orange. There's also a hint of salt in the aroma.

T : Light rushes of barley, wheat, and coriander. The unfiltered quality comes through and it stays pretty linear and subdued with any fruity esters that are introduced. The finish is of wheat cracker and juiced orange.

F : Creamy, medium bodied, with appropriate carbonation. It ends crisp and clean.

O : The focus of Shock Top's Belgian White is not a sophisticated Witbier, but rather a refreshing one. There are better Witbiers out there, but I've had way worse from respected craft breweries. This doesn't even come close to a bad beer. It's great and refreshing for hot days or cool nights indoors. Especially great when you can find them on sale/clearance like I did.

2.98/5  rDev -0.7%

I was startled to find that this is a beer by Anheuser-Busch although the 5.2% ABV rating is more than believable. I was an avid Belgian wheat drinker before seeing the light and becoming a hop head where the real beer is.

Look-It pours a slightly hazy orange gold with a white head and thin lacing.

Smell-It smells of orange peel, yeast, wheat, and coriander.

Taste-The taste—surprise, surprise—follows the nose, but with less orange peel unfortunately. I did pick up on some nice notes from the coriander and yeast.

Mouthfeel-It is not without effervescent carbonation and a smooth finish. It is light-medium bodied, but crisp and subtle.

Overall-It is a nice beer, but nothing spectacular. I would drink it at a restaurant if the only other options were Bud Light, Corona, Heineken, and Stella Artois. However, I wouldn’t bring this puny beer to a Game of Thrones viewing night with the guys.

3.19/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

L- Cloudy-turbid orange body and a creamy white head.
S- Strong wheat smell and a slight touch of spicy coriander.
T- Lots of wheat and orange peel. Coriander did jump out.
F- Pretty much like drinking milk. Very chewy.
O- Mouthfeel killed this beer for me. The other aspects were ok, but I wouldn't have this again.

3.12/5  rDev +4%

Pulled it out of the "build your own six pack" cooler because I've never tried it. Traffic light amber, smells and tastes of oranges -- the marshmallow orange circus peanuts specifically. And I mean that in a good way because there isn't a lot of taste here. I could swill it like water. Carbonation is light, overall it's a refreshing beer, not the best, but I drank it all and -- depending on my choices -- would certainly get it again. I have a couple of friends who order the "lightest, mildest" beer on tap. I would direct them to this and they would LOVE it.

4.01/5  rDev +33.7%

I love ShockTop Belgium White, and honestly have very little bad to say about it. The truth is that it is one of the best Mid-Range beers out there (ie ShockTop, Blue Moon, Samuel Adams). It's nothing fancy, no cocoa, bananas or espresso beans... Looking at you yazoo... But it's good. This is one of those beers I drink when I go to a restaurant and need something with my steak or seafood, not one that I drink when I am looking for something new or need a 6 pack to bring to a Game of Thrones viewing party. Bottom line, this is beer... It's good, not great, and it's an awesome beer for when you want just that... A simple, good tasting, beer.

2.36/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

The good news is this beer is drinkable. The bad news is that is the only good thing I can say about it. As dull and as humdrum as you can get. When I saw that it was brewed in St. Louis, I should have guessed it was an AB beer.

2.53/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I only bought this because it was the only thing that was remotely good at Applebee's. It's not really worth a review. A mass produced watered down version of a wheat beer.

2.63/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a hazy straw color with two-finger white head that dissipated quickly until just a thin broken layer of small bubbles remained, lightly carbonated as is normal for this style, there is some lacing on the glass.

SMELL: the smell is like orange candy and coriander.

TASTE: sadly, the taste follows the nose, the orange candy flavor is too overpowering, there is some coriander and bread, very mild hop profile as is appropriate for the style.

PALATE: medium body and lighter carbonation.

OVERALL: This is probably the least favorite beer I have had in this style, I'm going to be blunt, this style is hard to screw up, the beer has an orange candy flavor that was too dominant and it just did not work for me, I will avoid this beer in the future as there are much better versions of this style to be had.

2.88/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked this up because I have never tried it and it has been really hot lately. I poured it from a pint can into a goblet.

Look: Pours a lovely, fluffy white head that recedes rather quickly to a ringed veil. The body is very hazy and orange. When held to the light there is a murky glow.

Smell: Milled grain and wheat aroma accompanied by orange peel sweetness. Mild corn and a flutter of woodiness. This smells like if you ate an orange Popsicle and then smelled the Popsicle stick.

Taste: The taste is simple and refreshing, with a bit of sweetness and wheat backed by a tiny bit of orange and coriander.

Feel: It hits the mouth creamy but the back of the throat is tingled by carbonation. This is definitely a hot day beer.

Overall: Cheap, drinkable, and pretty good. The hot weather has recently been deterring me from the huge IPAs that I enjoy.

2.94/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

It's Busch and it shows, perfectly average attempt. I much prefer Hoegarrden in this style of wheat beer. Shock Top was bogo which is why I bought it, but will not venture this way again.

4.36/5  rDev +45.3%

Unfiltered, orange body with a white, frothy head that dissipates into a ring of foam.

Aroma: wheat backbone; coriander; citrus.

Taste: citrus and coriander in the beginning; minimal hop bite at the end; wheat and orange aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: light to medium; carbonated.

Finish: mostly dry, crisp, and refreshing.

I can understand some of the reviews. It is a sweet beer, but I like the sweeter wines (Riesling). So, this beer is perfect for me. It has a nice hint of citrus and is so smooth. I find the stouts and many other beers bitter. This would be the beer for people who enjoy desert wines. I love it!

3.28/5  rDev +9.3%

I don't think this is deserving of the reputation it has. It's a decent beer that's available almost everywhere. It's a step up from the Miller and Coors. While it's not on-par with most craft offerings, it's a solid go-to where pickin's are slim!

2.28/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Wanted to like this because I bought the Seasonal Variety 12-pack but it's really just a vehicle for carbonated water. Might be good if really cold on a hot summer day. Meh.

2.65/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Look: I'll be blunt- this looks like turbid urine. Does not look at all enticing. Quickly loses head and carbonation, appearing completely flat within a minute of pouring. Easily looks like it could be a glass of cheap orange drink. I give it a 2.5 because to be generous.

Smell: Again, very weak smell. Orange smell is virtually non existent, as is the characteristic smell of a belgian style ale. I give it a 2.5 because it doesn't smell bad.

Taste: Underwhelming. The first letdown is the loss of carbonation. There's more bubbles in a day old soda. Vaguely orange/citrus flavor and a little taste of wheat and yeast. No discernable hoppiness.

Feel: Goes down smooth with no after taste, which is honestly the only thing it has going for it beyond an american adjunct. No tingle of carbonation or alcohol.

Overall: I've had this a few times on tap at a bar, and it was much, much better. Perhaps I just got unlucky with this bottle, but I was really disappointed after enjoying it quite a bit on draft. So, if you're at a bar and its on tap, try it out. If not, avoid.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch