Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 760 | Hads: 3,477
2.87/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Lagunitas mason jar
From: Albertsons in Alpine, Calif.
Price: $10.99 for a variety 12-pack
Purchased: Dec. 3, 2014
Consumed: Dec. 6, 2014
Misc.: Bottled on Oct. 8, 2014; Bottled read, “To serve, pour down side of glass until ½ inch is left in bottle. Swirl and pour remaining brew to release the aroma and flavor. Enjoy!”

Poured a honey, orange, straw, hazy color with 1-to-2 fingers of off-white head that dissipated rather quickly. Some bubbles coming up from the bottom, but nothing crazy. No lacing on the sides. Minimal retention on the top. (Sight - 2.75)

Smelled citrus zest, orange peel, coriander, Alka-Seltzer, caramel, citrus wheat and grassy hops. (Smell - 3.25)

Tasted pretty bland overall. Got coriander, Citra hops, orange peel, caramel, grassy hops, orange wheat, honey and Alka-Seltzer. (Taste - 2.75)

Light body. Oily-to-thin texture. Lively-to-fizzy carbonation. Abrupt, somewhat fruity finish. (Feel - 2.75)

It’s funny how I used to like this beer. But I also put an orange in there and we all know that you can never trust a beer that needs fruit added to it. (Overall - 2.75)

2.87 | 67 | C

2.82/5  rDev -6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.75

Has a cloudy golden look, with a small white head.

Smells of yeast and malt.

There is definitely something appealing about this taste. With a lot of bananas, cloves, citrus, Belgian-ish yeast, and malt. Sadly, the carbonation completely overwhelms this beer. I could see myself drinking a fair bit of this if the carbonation was subtler, as what I was able to feel beyond the carbonation was quite intriguing.

In this state, this is a tolerable beer. I just wish it was a good one.

3.19/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A very hazy orange with bits of what I presume to be citrus peel swimming around. Not much of a head. Smells like your average mass marketed beer. The tongue senses lots of carbonation & citrus tangyness. Not too sweet, not too citrusy, not too much flavor but not bad.

2.25/5  rDev -25%

Okay...took a few sips from a friend's bottle, here are my thoughts.....

Haven't had this in a few years, and it's exactly as I remember. Almost no nose, what is there is one of weak citrus fruit. Taste is the same, a weak white ale that finishes with a citrus, almost sour end. Not a great example of the style, even for a BMC offering.

There are MUCH better options out there.

2.9/5  rDev -3.3%

Well. My options tonight were the ubiquitous American Light Pale Lagers... and this. It was inoffensive and satisfying for the place I was at. It's Anheiser-Busch's "craft" line, and honestly feels like they tasted Blue Moon and went "oh, yeah? Well, HERE."

2.38/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Really not much to this one. Some grainy and citrus elements, particularly orange. Light and simple. Beyond that, little depth, flavor and complexity. I simply wanted to at least try this one. Now that I've done that, I have decided that once is quite enough.

3.28/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours with a small, white head. Is golden in color and very murky. Has aromas of citrus from brewed peels and wheat that combine to create and alright smell. Initial taste is strong with coriander, but not too strong. Orange and like combine to create a finishing flavor. Overall taste is alright. A right in the middle beer.

3/5  rDev 0%

Poured into Belgium pint glass.
Appearance: Cloudy orange. Starts as a two finger white head which fades to a film with some lacing.
Smell: Oranges and wheat.
Taste: Very slight orange flavour and moderate wheat. Slight bitterness on the finish. Sickly corn, a common flavour in macro brews, is only slightly present. Body is light with high carbonation.
Overall: A fairly drinkable beer which is relatively free of the astringent corn flavour that is present in most of their other beers.

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

I usually like IPA's and I was kinda disappointed to find out this was made by "them". But I have to say that this has a consistent drinkability and enough flavor to make it above average.

3.8/5  rDev +26.7%

I've reviewed this beer before (I don't know where it went, sometimes they just disappear, probably in data transfer to new servers or whatever) so I won't go into detail. Everyone knows what it is anyway.

I wonder, however, why it has such poor ratings on BA. It's a bit dark for the style, I'll say that. And perhaps the head retention and lacing could be a little better, but I still think it's pretty good for the style. It's a bit malty, mainly wheaty in the aroma, but there's still some coriander to it, as well as orange peel, and all of that carries into the flavor as well. It's rounded and balanced. It might be fuller than I'd expect, but there are other American breweries doing the same. Blue Moon is much heavier, and scores better, and there are a lot of brewpubs and smaller micros in the same boat. Besides all of that, it's clean and consistent. I think it's just getting a bad rap here because it's made by A-B.

2.96/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy gold, fizzy head that completely dissipates.

Smell: Not strong at all. Maybe a hint of wheat and orange.

Taste: Nothing to write home about. Some fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Too much pop for my liking of a wheat beer.

Overall: Nice beer for a a party. Light and easy to drink.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

I'm a big fan of Belgian style wheat beers, but this one is just ho-hum. It's not terrible, but it's definitely not remarkable. Taste is grainy with a slight spice/bitterness to it on the backend. Very watery and lightly carbonated. Serviceable as a witbier but not one of the better ones.

3.2/5  rDev +6.7%

I saw an add on youtube about that beer so I wanted to give it a try
The look is a golden beer with an opaque density.
About the smell, I can say that is bad. For me the smell gets a 0.
Now the taste is different than the smell. More on the watery side, but a good taste. I doubt about that this is a Belgium style. Maybe the appearance, but for the taste I will say it's more an American Blonde Style .
Overall he does good expect for the taste. A little bit too watery for me. U really can't feel the 5,2 ABV. If it was around 6 or 6,5 ABV, I would give a higher score.
So would I recommend it ? Sure, it's refreshing and doesn't have a bad taste at all BUT if you are looking for a Belgium style, there is much better. If you are looking for a smelly beer, this one is not for you. If you are looking for a beer that have some guts, this one is not for you either.

3/5  rDev 0%

A standard you see a lot of places and it really hits the "okay" rating pretty spot on. Not great, but not terrible either. Appearance is a hazy light yellow with a fizzy head. The smell was a lot of orange peel and other citrus. The taste was similar with a lot of orange and then a little bit of wheat and yeast underneath. Mouthfeel was pleasant. Overall, a beer I wont say no to, but probably wont be picking up a case anytime soon.

Poor imitation of a belgian white. Watery imitation of Blue Moon even when the Blue moon white is a poor beer. I have a fondness for Bluemoon as it was my notice of the idea of Craft Beer and the existence other beers other than adjunct lagers.

2.95/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I've found that drinking ST from the bottle and following the directions on the bottle on how to pour into a glass makes a big difference. Especially if you add a slice of orange to the glass. Still a fairly weak macrobrew, but better than your typical Bud or Miller swill.

2.79/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Well, it could be that my palate has been unduly influenced by the very hoppy ales I've been drinking. I found this Belgian White to be almost devoid of any flavor at all. I don't think I'd be able to tell much of a difference between this and one of the mainstream lagers.

I don't find anything exactly bad about it. It's kind of refreshing in the way sparkling water is refreshing, though with a bit of flavor one would likely identify as "beery." If there are spices, they were used most sparingly.

I've had MUCH worse beers than this - some so bad that I had to pour them down the drain. This beer is disappointing as a "white ale," but definitely NOT drain pour. I wouldn't spend money on it, but it it's hot or very warm out and it's offered to me, I will gladly take it simply as a thirst quencher.

4.48/5  rDev +49.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Shock Top taste great UNLESS you do not read the bottle. With this beer it is important that you pour the beer into a mug except for about an inch of beer in the bottle. At this point you need to swish around the beer in the bottom of the bottle to get the sediment out and dump into your glass. You will have a much better tasting beer. I also recommend squeezing a slice of orange into the beer for a more citrus flavor.

3.06/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

I personally like blue moon better than this, but shock top has more of a sort of water down Orange juice flavor to it and was good for the hotter days. Less citrus out of the bottle than poured into a glass. It's like a lighter option to blue moon.

2.34/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a wine goblet.

A - Color is medium straw with lots of orange. Appearance is very cloudy and murky (ok for style). Low head quickly disappears. Light lacing.

S - Low bready malt and wheat. Light flowery note like chamomille, maybe some other light spices. No hops. Citrus doesn't come across, nor do any yeast notes.

T - Malt is so faint it's almost not there. No obvious wheat. Some spice, but it is indistinct. Citrus not noticeable. No hops or yeast.

M - Medium body with a strange "powdery" mouthfeel. Slightly sweet and cloying finish. Some bitterness appears to be combination of hops and citric acid. No alcohol presence.

O - Not only not distinctive, but actually a poor example of style in a lot of ways. Where is the wheat? Where's the yeast character? Or even the citrus for that matter?

2.92/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

On draft at Crab Catchers Little River.

A: Orange and golden, thick and cloudy like most wheats. Nice firm head that retains well. Decent carbonation and textured body.

S: Wheat and citrus, yeasty breadness, some orange from the slice that my server put on the rim... for some reason.

T: Slight wheat body with some malty character, very mild. No detectable hop variety. Nice citrus flavors. Very easy to drink and a good balance but not overly flavorful.

M: Thick but smooth, wheaty body. Some carbonation.

O: Not a bad entry level wheat. Lacking of any major characteristics but not a bad go to for if you can't find a wheat with more character.

3.85/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A step up from the junk stuff,
and a good anytime go to. Refreshing
in the summer and a reminder in the
winter that warmer weather is coming,
without being over light or island
style. Always good, I never have any
guests that complain or refuse one.

3.64/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Have always been curious about this beer. A lot of people (undeservedly, I might add) give this beer low scores merely because of who makes it. I decided to pick it up at the local Fastmart. Here goes:

A: OK, but somewhat lackluster. Beer pours a cloudy yellow, which is normal for beers of this style. The head was also nice and fluffy, but it quickly dissipated and left no lacing whatsoever (I mean NO lacing). Usually Belgian ales - especially low-density ones - leave a ton of lacing due to protein-synthesizing yeast. Not so with this beer.

S: OK, but somewhat muted. Can detect coriander, spice, white pepper, lemon and orange. However, to my surprise, the smell only lasted for a couple minutes after opening the can! Not as strong as I would've liked, but oh well.

T: Bordering on good-to-OK. Has a nice citrus flavor, and I can detect lots of spices. However, the beer lacks that bready characteristic that's typical of Belgian ales (i.e., the one produced from Belgian yeast). It feels somewhat less robust than it should be. Otherwise, this would be a good brew.

M: Somewhat lackluster given the lack of a bready character. Otherwise OK.

O: An OK representation of the style. Would much rather have an Allagash White, though.

3/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Cloudy gold with white head

Smell: Orange smell, but mostly wheat.

Taste: Malts and wheat, no bitterness or alcohol detected.

Mouthfeel: Thin and well-carbonated.

Overall: Not too interesting but nothing offensive. Certainly a step up from the standard lagers you find at social events. Cheap, easy to find, and good on a hot day. This is one of the few beers that I can share with my friends who don't like intense beers.

4.24/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer was a pretty good beer. I liked it a lot, I like to put a orange wedge in it. The citrus flavor that it has is really good. The citrus flavor that it has made the beer taste even better I think. The smell of this beer was also pretty good as well.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch