Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
1.49/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Not good, avoid at all costs.

I don't get the vitriol for this beer; it isn't a bad beer by any means, it's just not a great beer. Is it a legitimate Belgian beer? Of course not, but Budweiser isn't really a legitimate lager, so I'll judge it on its taste alone: pretty good, not bad.

2.8/5  rDev -4.8%

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

2.68/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Why did I buy this, on tap no less? I am still not sure. The truth of the matter is, I was sitting in my local pub and I had had a couple beers, and I was trying to mix it up a little, and I thought, "What the hell, how bad can it be?" Pretty bad, as it turns out. And I knew this was a bad idea going in. So here it goes:

Shock Top Belgian White, served on tap in a standard pint glass:

Appearance: A pale, foggy mash with an almost nonexistent head. A stupid orange slice sits precariously on edge of the glass. Gag me with a teaspoon! I threw that damned thing away immediately.

Aroma: Good question. There wasn't any. Maybe a distant rotten citrus scent? But that was probably from the orange slice I just discarded.

Taste: Bland, slightly citrus, some wheat but not much. This is one damned crappy "crafty" beer. My tongue is NOT thanking me right now.

Mouthfeel: About average, light, and very slight carbonation. Bot overly pleasant. Not disgusting either. it just is.

Overall: This beer is certainly below par, but what was I really expecting anyway? I got it just because, and I regretted it from start to finish. I would never order this again. Period.

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

2.91/5  rDev -1%

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Lagunitas mason jar
From: Albertsons in Alpine, Calif.
Price: $10.99 for a variety 12-pack
Purchased: Dec. 3, 2014
Consumed: Dec. 6, 2014
Misc.: Bottled on Oct. 8, 2014; Bottled read, “To serve, pour down side of glass until ½ inch is left in bottle. Swirl and pour remaining brew to release the aroma and flavor. Enjoy!”

Poured a honey, orange, straw, hazy color with 1-to-2 fingers of off-white head that dissipated rather quickly. Some bubbles coming up from the bottom, but nothing crazy. No lacing on the sides. Minimal retention on the top. (Sight - 2.88)

Smelled citrus zest, orange peel, coriander, Alka-Seltzer, caramel, citrus wheat and grassy hops. (Smell - 3.38)

Tasted pretty bland overall. Got coriander, Citra hops, orange peel, caramel, grassy hops, orange wheat, honey and Alka-Seltzer. (Taste - 2.75)

Light body. Oily-to-thin texture. Lively-to-fizzy carbonation. Abrupt, somewhat fruity finish. (Feel - 2.75)

It’s funny how I used to like this beer. But I also put an orange in there and we all know that you can never trust a beer that needs fruit added to it. (Overall -

2.91 | 68 | C