Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 746 | Hads: 3,375
3.12/5  rDev +2.3%

Pulled it out of the "build your own six pack" cooler because I've never tried it. Traffic light amber, smells and tastes of oranges -- the marshmallow orange circus peanuts specifically. And I mean that in a good way because there isn't a lot of taste here. I could swill it like water. Carbonation is light, overall it's a refreshing beer, not the best, but I drank it all and -- depending on my choices -- would certainly get it again. I have a couple of friends who order the "lightest, mildest" beer on tap. I would direct them to this and they would LOVE it. (579 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +31.5%

I love ShockTop Belgium White, and honestly have very little bad to say about it. The truth is that it is one of the best Mid-Range beers out there (ie ShockTop, Blue Moon, Samuel Adams). It's nothing fancy, no cocoa, bananas or espresso beans... Looking at you yazoo... But it's good. This is one of those beers I drink when I go to a restaurant and need something with my steak or seafood, not one that I drink when I am looking for something new or need a 6 pack to bring to a Game of Thrones viewing party. Bottom line, this is beer... It's good, not great, and it's an awesome beer for when you want just that... A simple, good tasting, beer. (647 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

The good news is this beer is drinkable. The bad news is that is the only good thing I can say about it. As dull and as humdrum as you can get. When I saw that it was brewed in St. Louis, I should have guessed it was an AB beer. (228 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -17%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I only bought this because it was the only thing that was remotely good at Applebee's. It's not really worth a review. A mass produced watered down version of a wheat beer. (172 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a hazy straw color with two-finger white head that dissipated quickly until just a thin broken layer of small bubbles remained, lightly carbonated as is normal for this style, there is some lacing on the glass.

SMELL: the smell is like orange candy and coriander.

TASTE: sadly, the taste follows the nose, the orange candy flavor is too overpowering, there is some coriander and bread, very mild hop profile as is appropriate for the style.

PALATE: medium body and lighter carbonation.

OVERALL: This is probably the least favorite beer I have had in this style, I'm going to be blunt, this style is hard to screw up, the beer has an orange candy flavor that was too dominant and it just did not work for me, I will avoid this beer in the future as there are much better versions of this style to be had. (928 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked this up because I have never tried it and it has been really hot lately. I poured it from a pint can into a goblet.

Look: Pours a lovely, fluffy white head that recedes rather quickly to a ringed veil. The body is very hazy and orange. When held to the light there is a murky glow.

Smell: Milled grain and wheat aroma accompanied by orange peel sweetness. Mild corn and a flutter of woodiness. This smells like if you ate an orange Popsicle and then smelled the Popsicle stick.

Taste: The taste is simple and refreshing, with a bit of sweetness and wheat backed by a tiny bit of orange and coriander.

Feel: It hits the mouth creamy but the back of the throat is tingled by carbonation. This is definitely a hot day beer.

Overall: Cheap, drinkable, and pretty good. The hot weather has recently been deterring me from the huge IPAs that I enjoy. (858 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

It's Busch and it shows, perfectly average attempt. I much prefer Hoegarrden in this style of wheat beer. Shock Top was bogo which is why I bought it, but will not venture this way again. (187 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +43%

Unfiltered, orange body with a white, frothy head that dissipates into a ring of foam.

Aroma: wheat backbone; coriander; citrus.

Taste: citrus and coriander in the beginning; minimal hop bite at the end; wheat and orange aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: light to medium; carbonated.

Finish: mostly dry, crisp, and refreshing. (323 characters)

I can understand some of the reviews. It is a sweet beer, but I like the sweeter wines (Riesling). So, this beer is perfect for me. It has a nice hint of citrus and is so smooth. I find the stouts and many other beers bitter. This would be the beer for people who enjoy desert wines. I love it! (294 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +7.5%

I don't think this is deserving of the reputation it has. It's a decent beer that's available almost everywhere. It's a step up from the Miller and Coors. While it's not on-par with most craft offerings, it's a solid go-to where pickin's are slim! (247 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Wanted to like this because I bought the Seasonal Variety 12-pack but it's really just a vehicle for carbonated water. Might be good if really cold on a hot summer day. Meh. (173 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Look: I'll be blunt- this looks like turbid urine. Does not look at all enticing. Quickly loses head and carbonation, appearing completely flat within a minute of pouring. Easily looks like it could be a glass of cheap orange drink. I give it a 2.5 because to be generous.

Smell: Again, very weak smell. Orange smell is virtually non existent, as is the characteristic smell of a belgian style ale. I give it a 2.5 because it doesn't smell bad.

Taste: Underwhelming. The first letdown is the loss of carbonation. There's more bubbles in a day old soda. Vaguely orange/citrus flavor and a little taste of wheat and yeast. No discernable hoppiness.

Feel: Goes down smooth with no after taste, which is honestly the only thing it has going for it beyond an american adjunct. No tingle of carbonation or alcohol.

Overall: I've had this a few times on tap at a bar, and it was much, much better. Perhaps I just got unlucky with this bottle, but I was really disappointed after enjoying it quite a bit on draft. So, if you're at a bar and its on tap, try it out. If not, avoid. (1,077 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A: The color is very gold. It is a bit cloudy with only slight clarity.

S: The smell is quite wheat-like. It has a citrus/tangerine smell. Not bitter, no strong hops.

T: The taste is pretty balanced. Nothing really jumps out at you. It is pretty simple and mellow. It has a tangy flavor and tangy after taste, but it is not as tangy as it smells.

M: The after taste is clean, but the flavor leaves your mouth pretty quickly. There is a bit carbonation but it is not heavy. It is very light-bodied.

O: Overall, it's a simple beer to drink socially. It's pretty bland to try and pair up with light tasting food. It is not too strong or bitter, however I would have liked to taste more flavor. (698 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -46.6%

DATE TASTED: May 17, 2015... GLASSWARE: plain weizen... OCCASION: a long day of yard and garden work in the books... APPEARANCE: slightly hazy, lemon yellow body that sports minimal carbonation; fizzing white head fizzles to a pencil-thin mustache; soap suds for lacing...AROMA: funky farmhouse yeast challenges the expectation of a orange-peel label; pungent rubber and plasticine... PALATE: watery, oily, slippery and paradoxically, only mildly refreshing... TASTE: Malty and off-kilter--lukewarm sweetness and not much in the way of flavor...OVERALL: a pretty bad approximation of a wheat beer...tough to find much positive to say about this, and I have railed against bad beers in other reviews for too long...so, I would only drink this if little else we’re available--even a light beer is preferable... (810 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +49.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Smells fruity and citrusy and tastes citrusy with a dash of spice. Really great anytime of the year but preferably during the summer with all the sweet tastes. Would recommend! (178 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer was pretty good. It is an orangy color which alarmed me at first. It had a citrus smell in the nose, the taste matched the smell perfectly. It was an easy to drink fruity beer. (186 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer would definitely go under the category of summer beer. It's a crisp yellow color that goes along with its' taste and smell. When you first smell it is strong with yeast and citrus. When tasted it definitely has more body and diversity with a spice flavor on top of the citrus. Overall easy to drink and would be refreshing on a hot day. (346 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +20%

It has orange peel, lemon and coriander. While it is a Belgian White, there is no Belgian yeast strain. There is little yeast at all, as it is ingredient dominated. (164 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +23%

The color of this beer is a cloudy dark yellow. The aroma you get is a slightly fruity smell and is not overpowering. Tasting this beer you can tell it has a lot of pumpkin in it and it is pretty smooth. (203 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -24.6%

Served draft. Very carbonated and a lot of head. Cloudy orange and yellow. No aroma, taste has a lot of cereal grains and a hint of spice. Mouthfeel is average. Not very enjoyable. (180 characters)

awesome fuckin beer not the best but def the best beer to take to a party because no one will drink it because they have no clue how great this beer is you will have it all to yourself (184 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Portland Pie.
Hazy orange amber color with a smallish off white head. Spicy earthy with hints of orange peel. Drinkable I guess, but not something I would reach for often. (181 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -1.3%

Not a huge Shock Top fan. If you want a similar beer that tastes a little better, I recommend Blue Moon. Serve it with a nice orange. Shock Top isn't bad but it has an off aftertaste to me, not very balanced. (208 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +28.2%

Not sure what the problem is with this beer. Yeah, I know it's brewed by Anheuser-Busch but not everything they do is immediately terrible. Had this at Buffalo Wild Wings and I gotta say, this beer goes perfect with spicy food. It doesn't have any really strong flavors, and it's not bitter at all. Slightly sweet and very carbonated. It goes down almost like water. It'd be great for mowing the lawn or going out on a boat, or maybe for cookouts. I like this quite a bit. (472 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -49.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Awful overall. The taste makes me want to vomit. It is most definitely two notches under most wheat beers on the market. It features a complicated, medicinal, chemical blend of citrus flavors. Poor look too, loses its head of foam quickly and looks flat thereafter. This beer is poor at best. (297 characters)

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch