Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 748 | Hads: 3,402
3.31/5  rDev +8.5%

Had in standard ale glass

A: straw color; good 3-finger head; beautiful steam of carbonation; ok lacing
S: banana, light, but disappears after about 1 minute
T: banana, pear, lightly flavored; no hops, slightly sweet, not complex

I wasn't expecting much from Shock Top, and those expectations were exceeded (hence the high marks). (332 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +29.5%

Sampled in a bottle back on 11/20/13. Chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a pilsner glass.

I had this on tap many times before, especially back in Orlando and was served with a orange slice. From the Shock Top Brewing Company in St. Louis (the Bud folks), their "SHOCK TOP ~ BELGIAN WHITE" pours a hazy orange-yellow in color with a 2-finger fizzy white head that doesn't last long. Above average carbonation. Some spotty lacing was seen. The aroma is of some grains with some citrus and spice. The taste was the same and a little 'watered down' like most Bud brews BUT is still better than most of their brews. (638 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

The beer was in a bottle, and was inviting because it was labeled "Belgium Ale." It was light on the tongue and milky -- SKIM milky -- on the palate. Had a metallic after-taste that barely buzzed me. Had no idea this was an Anheuser-Busch product, but after tasting it, I realized it was like having a Bud Light Platinum with slight creamy finish. (347 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -25.2%

To put it simply, this is basically Budweiser with some orange thrown in there. That's pretty much all that I got out of this, in all aspects. Not the best of this style by any means; there are FAR better Witbiers out there...FAR BETTER. But if you're just looking for an easily drinkable beer and you're on a budget, I'd have to say this is better than most of the piss beers out there. (387 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy orangish yellow color with small head and little lacing. Not much aroma either but I do get a hint of citrus smell. Taste is very bland like a popular light beer not really what I expected. Do not taste the citrus really don't taste anything. No bitterness detected at all and very slight orange aftertaste. Overall it's drinkable but tasteless. (360 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Somewhat a cloudy orange

S - Sweet, almost too sweet.

T - Taste is ok but i was expecting more "Umf" to it.

M - Very watery to me.

O - Not a bad beer but not a great beer by any standard.

Overall this beer did better than expected. The only drawback was the beer was similar to a citrus Lite beer. I was expecting more of a punch but it was OK. Good summer Beer but very light to seasoned beer drinkers. (413 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tastes more like bud light with a small hint of citrus. Very smooth and easy to drink. Doesn't smell too bad either and the alcohol is just right. Gets you a nice buzz too. I have yet to try any of the other flavors but I'm more inclined to save pumpkin for last and get raspberry next time. (291 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Seems like this Beer gets a lot of Negative reviews,and as I sit here drinking my first "Shock Top Belgian white" I really do not understand why,sure there are better Belgian Witbiers out there ..but Honestly,I am enjoying this one quite a bit! and think all in all,this is a very nice Beer,very nice Indeed!Smooth,Crisp & super refreshing:)I think the sour edge may put some people off this brew,but I Myself like the tartness of it,I Never let reviews put me off trying a Beer,Because when all is said and done,we all have our own personal tastes and preferences,and a lot of Beers I enjoy quite a Bit are rated really Low here on this site,yet swill I would not let a pig drink [Steel Reserve 211] gets a very high rating by the Bros..LMAO,Really? an "88" score for Flat,rusty tasting,nasty as hell Steel Reserve malt Liquor? and Heineken gets rated as 'Poor"?~hehehe,Oh well man,to each his own I guess,just goes to show you should never take anyone elses word for something,not Mine,Not the "Bros",no ones,I enjoy reading a lot of reviews to see what other people think,but thats about it,I like to make my own mind up & draw my own conclusions,and so should you guys/Gals~Cheers & Peace2All. (1,197 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A perfect summer treat...

Not the type of beer you would bring to a house party or have more than two in one sitting. But yes, on a hot summer day on the boat or relaxing on a patio it is what the Dr. ordered. I think that some people (not all) don't give it a fair shake because of the Anheuser-Busch name.

A: Musky orange, not much head

S: Not much of a smell but a hint of citrus/coriander

T: You can definitely taste the orange (but what were you expecting with the orange with the mohawk symbol) Delicious, Light, Sweet taste.

M: Lightly carbonated on top but the bottle seemed to provide slightly more carbonation. Crisp and refreshing all the way down.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, it may not be everyone's taste, it isn't your standard Wit, but its good in it's own way. (790 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Not a fan of this beer. Had it more than a few times. Some times it was more enjoyable than others. This time not so much.

Bottle has no date which always bothers me. Pour gives a cloudy orange/ brown color. One finger head which leaves very quickly. Almost as if it was never there. First thing I smell is coriander. Very, very strong. Orange follows behind as expected but is more mellow than I think it should be (especially considering the label). Tons of carbonation on the tongue. A bit too much for me. Getting a strange watery, bitter orange juice flavor with the overpowering flavor of coriander. Doesn't work well on my palate. By far the worst part of this experience is the lingering after taste. Very hard to describe. Makes my mouth pucker but not in a dry wine kind of way.

This is my second time drinking this beer this week and both times I seem to get this wierd stomach ache. Expired? No way to tell since there is no date... On other occasions I've had this it has been more palatable. If I reviewed this when I had it last year it would be a solid 3. This time I didn't enjoy it at all. (1,111 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I bought this beer for $11.99 for a 12-pack. I thought I would give it a go for that price. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a date code that I don't know what it is and into a pint glass. Poured 1/2 the bottle, gave it a swirl, and aggressively poured the rest. I got 1 1/2 fingers of head.

A: Pours a yellow, hazy color with 1 1/2 fingers of head that settle very quickly to form a ring of foam around the glass and that will last until the end. Little to no lacing.

S: Not really a lot there. I was expecting a smell of spices or citrus. It doesn't smell bad; there is just nothing.

T: There is a little spice and some wheat. Again, not a lot going on there.

M: It goes down smooth. Light, nicely carbonated, and makes me want to take another sip. It ends dry.

O: I say it's not bad. I kind of like it because it's easy drinking. I would serve it and recommend it if you haven't tried it. Have one and let's talk about it. (930 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +34.1%

Another good Shock Top offering...

I was impressed with the good gold color of the beer. These Belgian's don't always impress me with their hue but this one looks good. Unfortunately, little to no head, and no staying power - but it was a very bright white color - I'll give it that. I also liked the soothing wheat smell mixed in with hops - it was just right. The carbonation was just right, and the taste was exactly what I smelled, which is a big plus up for me. Overall, I was impressed - it was smooth and refreshing, while packing a decent punch. (554 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -31.1%

I'm not a fan of this beer. Smells like OJ, tastes like watered-down OJ. Unpleasant, lingering aftertaste. It pales in comparison to other similar brews including Blue Moon, which is average at best in my opinion. Surprised to see it was over 5% ABV. Would not buy it again. (274 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Even though this isn't an actual craft beer, I think they did a decent job with it, certainly as good as Coors did with Blue Moon.

Although the real reason I bought it is because Ft Sam has it for $12.50 a case and I couldn't pass up a deal like that. Keep it cold and it's a great beer for a 105 degree day here in south Texas. I wouldn't pay much more than that for it, but when it's cheaper than Pabst . . . (412 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Purchased in a 500mL can from the Lcbo and poured into a hoegaarden glass

A - Murky orange, with almost no head. No lacing present whatsoever.

S - Not a very pleasant smell for a wit, smells like orange and some sort of metal (steel or iron maybe)

T - Flavour isn't that awful, but is very underwhelming for a belgian wit styled beer. The orange as the logo is really what this beer is about, the orange flavour dominates the beer.

M - very little carbonation, nothing particularly interesting about the mouthfeel

O - A pretty poor attempt by Anheuser-Busch at creating a Belgian Wit macro brew. Although that being said it's really not that bad, it's very drinkable, it just doesn't really match the style well. I will give it to Anheuser-Busch though that this is better then the Canadian macro-brewed failed attempts at a Witbeer by Rickards and Alexander Keiths (870 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A co-worker asked me to check this one out, so here goes:
Now, this beer looks more like my urine sample when i was dehydrated. Both, very cloudy & rich in yellow/orange color, but if i remember correctly, mine had a longer lasting head. There is absolutely no lace here, so nothing pretty about it! I think it smells like babies feet.

I'm that girl who eats the lime when i've finished my drink, so the slight citrus taste i am aware of may be stronger than i'm experiencing. I find Shock Top a bit sweet on my tongue after i've swallowed it. I think an appropriate name for this beer would be "SweetPee".

Carbonation's mild, mouthfeels fine and would i drink it again? Maybe, ...if.. i was lost in the desert and could not expel enough urine to drink. (755 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I really like the shock top raspberry wheat so tried this thinking it would be the orange peel version but it was disappointing. It was just an OK beer, nothing special. I drank it and it wasn't unpleasant but nothing worth crowing about. No hint of the orange flavor I was expecting. (284 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

12 oz. Bottle from a 12-pack that I got for free.

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a one inch off white head. No lacing.

S- Mostly I get a candy-sweet orange in the nose with some grain. Smells like an orange Starburst.

T- Sweet orange up front, then I get some spice that must be the coriander. The orange flavor tastes very artificial. I guess the wheat is there, but not the way you'd want it to be. It finishes with some off tasting grain, corn, and fusel alcohol flavors that help you remember that you are drinking an AB product. Whereas, a better witbier would help you forget that you are imbibing alcohol.

M- The mouth feel is reminiscent of a witbier, but it is too thin and not smooth enough to be a good example of the style. Also, the carbonation isn't there.

O- This is worse than I remember it being, and I remember really not liking it. It essentially tastes like an orange extract, mimed coriander, and almost wheat flavored Budweiser, which is very marketable but not very good. (1,003 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured poorly by a friend from a bottle into a pint glass a few days ago (jotted notes in my phone for review purposes, because I'm THAT guy).

A: Pale, cloudy gold-orange hybrid color. A bit more transparent and less color intensity than its most famous comparison, Blue Moon. Head didn't retain very well--dissipated to a very lackluster white lace, reminiscent of a light lager. This might have been a result of the poor pouring job. Not something I'd look at and think, "Damn. I want what he/she is drinking."

S: Orange above all, by my nose. Hints (very small hints) of coriander upon second or third sniff. Not a very aromatic beer, in my opinion.

T: Very orangey. Very fake. It's almost as though someone dropped an orange-flavored hardcandy in my beer. It's almost sour at points. If you concentrate really hard, you might find some wheat in there, hidden amongst the orange. I see what they were going for, but it wasn't executed well.

M: Mild to moderate carbonation. It almost feels soda-like in my mouth; it's light and crisp. It's not particularly bad, but it's not what I was hoping for, nor what I look for.

O: In a bit of harsh honesty, I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this and Anheuser-Busch didn't do a great job of changing my mind. While it's certainly not the worst beer I've had, it's definitely low on the list. It just comes off too... I don't know... Artificial tasting. I suppose this beer is acceptable if your only other choices are light beers, or if you're trying to open to door for someone to stray away from light beers; otherwise, it's best to leave this one on the shelf. (1,614 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -30.8%

Mistakenly bought this brew when it first arrived on the market, not knowing it was an Anheuser-Busch product.

Some people like this stuff, but it's way too bland for me. The flavor itself isn't awful with the ornage added, but it's too dank and sour to be enjoyable. (268 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I think AB missed the mark on this one. It's a tasty enough beer and would be good with a slice of orange but it's definitely not a Belgian White. I expected a light, crisp citrusy flavor and got a heavier amber-colored malt beer.

It's a beer people might enjoy, but it doesn't fit the style it claims to be. (310 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Some buddies ordered a pitcher of this after a soccer game. I was going to keep drinking Spotted Cow until one of them said, "There's something wrong with this, this beer is sour." I have no idea how a macro product gets soured, but sure enough, the beer definitely had a pleasant sour aspect to it. Review is based on this soured batch.

Appearance, very hazy light gold/yellow color.

The aroma was sort of wheaty, with a moderate sour aroma.

The flavor followed the nose, with the moderately sour aspect dominating whatever light wheat flavor was in the beer. Certainly not how the beer was intended to taste, but I'm positive it tastes better this way than whatever it was supposed to taste like.

On the whole, I actually really enjoyed this. It tasted like a nice entry level lacto-based sour. For $10 a pitcher, I'll drink a decent sour all night. (855 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Had this at a restaurant last weekend.

A: Cloudy and almost orange in color with a nice head. Not bad.

S: Orange and spicy, maybe a little wheaty, but mostly orange and spice.

T: Mostly follows the smell. Not awful, but it just stops after the fruity spiciness, nothing after that, I was waiting for more, not bad though.

M: Average carbonation. Maybe too watery, goes down pretty easy.

O: Its not bad, I think they were trying to be like Blue Moon too much, Blue Moon is better by the way. But this one isn't bad and you can have a few of them in a session just fine. (573 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

on tap.
A: Yellow-orange hazy White head no lacing.

Aroma: light and fruity, with a bit of light baked bread.

M: Light body with medium carbonation.

Taste: light and fruity with hint of coriander and orange.

O: Acceptable flavor and aroma except for bring very light and timid. (282 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -44.3%

Full disclosure - I did NOT know this was an A-B product when I drank it. Also, it was free, at an open bar. The draft options were limited, I hadn't heard of Shock Top at the time, and I thought, what the hell, I'm not paying for it, let's give it a shot. The other options were all Bud-Lite/Coors-type beers anyway.

Well, I remember that day, years ago, like it was yesterday, because it's one of the very few times in my life I didn't finish a pint of beer that someone handed to me. it looked fine, it smelled fine, I guess, but when I tasted it, I wondered what the hell had happened. To me it seemed like someone had taken a piss in a vat of beer, thrown a bunch of oranges in to mask the taste of peepee, and then watered down the whole mess to make sure no beer lover ever asked for it again.

What a terrible beer. I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers/white beers to begin with, but there are some that I enjoy. Just not this one. Quite possibly one of the worst beers I've ever had. (1,002 characters)

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch