Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,351 | Reviews: 819
2.38/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Really not much to this one. Some grainy and citrus elements, particularly orange. Light and simple. Beyond that, little depth, flavor and complexity. I simply wanted to at least try this one. Now that I've done that, I have decided that once is quite enough.

3.28/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours with a small, white head. Is golden in color and very murky. Has aromas of citrus from brewed peels and wheat that combine to create and alright smell. Initial taste is strong with coriander, but not too strong. Orange and like combine to create a finishing flavor. Overall taste is alright. A right in the middle beer.

I tried a sample on tap and did not order it! I do not like orange beer at all! You don't exactly know by the name but it is an orange beer!

Watery flavor
Can feel the Orange flavor very subtle
Refreshing and light body

1.25/5  rDev -57.5%

This beer nearly made me quit drinking beer for ever. Had it in a can no less. Steer clear.

Poured into Belgium pint glass.
Appearance: Cloudy orange. Starts as a two finger white head which fades to a film with some lacing.
Smell: Oranges and wheat.
Taste: Very slight orange flavour and moderate wheat. Slight bitterness on the finish. Sickly corn, a common flavour in macro brews, is only slightly present. Body is light with high carbonation.
Overall: A fairly drinkable beer which is relatively free of the astringent corn flavour that is present in most of their other beers.

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

I usually like IPA's and I was kinda disappointed to find out this was made by "them". But I have to say that this has a consistent drinkability and enough flavor to make it above average.

2.5/5  rDev -15%

The first time I had it I liked it. Then the next case flavor seemed to become dull and non appeeling to me.

2.87/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I haven't liked any of the Shock Top brand beers. Taste like skunky beer.

I see this at the store every time. I've only bought this 1 time.

3.8/5  rDev +29.3%

I've reviewed this beer before (I don't know where it went, sometimes they just disappear, probably in data transfer to new servers or whatever) so I won't go into detail. Everyone knows what it is anyway.

I wonder, however, why it has such poor ratings on BA. It's a bit dark for the style, I'll say that. And perhaps the head retention and lacing could be a little better, but I still think it's pretty good for the style. It's a bit malty, mainly wheaty in the aroma, but there's still some coriander to it, as well as orange peel, and all of that carries into the flavor as well. It's rounded and balanced. It might be fuller than I'd expect, but there are other American breweries doing the same. Blue Moon is much heavier, and scores better, and there are a lot of brewpubs and smaller micros in the same boat. Besides all of that, it's clean and consistent. I think it's just getting a bad rap here because it's made by A-B.

2.96/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy gold, fizzy head that completely dissipates.

Smell: Not strong at all. Maybe a hint of wheat and orange.

Taste: Nothing to write home about. Some fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Too much pop for my liking of a wheat beer.

Overall: Nice beer for a a party. Light and easy to drink.

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Belgian white has a stale wheat like flavor, very odd off tastes, and is very watery. Overall pretty nasty.

2.17/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bland beer, basically water with a bit of beer mixed in.

2.5/5  rDev -15%

I'm a big fan of Belgian style wheat beers, but this one is just ho-hum. It's not terrible, but it's definitely not remarkable. Taste is grainy with a slight spice/bitterness to it on the backend. Very watery and lightly carbonated. Serviceable as a witbier but not one of the better ones.

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

I saw an add on youtube about that beer so I wanted to give it a try
The look is a golden beer with an opaque density.
About the smell, I can say that is bad. For me the smell gets a 0.
Now the taste is different than the smell. More on the watery side, but a good taste. I doubt about that this is a Belgium style. Maybe the appearance, but for the taste I will say it's more an American Blonde Style .
Overall he does good expect for the taste. A little bit too watery for me. U really can't feel the 5,2 ABV. If it was around 6 or 6,5 ABV, I would give a higher score.
So would I recommend it ? Sure, it's refreshing and doesn't have a bad taste at all BUT if you are looking for a Belgium style, there is much better. If you are looking for a smelly beer, this one is not for you. If you are looking for a beer that have some guts, this one is not for you either.

3.73/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm a suck-suck-sucka for belgian wheats/whites/ryes whatever. I remember trying Shock Top way back in the day (well, maybe 5 years ago) and not being that impressed with it. I finally got a single now that I can make a review on it.

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle poured into clear glass for appearance

Appearance : Is it the glass? A whole five finger head receding rapidly. A musty orange color with an opaque density. Looks to be a genuine craft brew. I can't complain on this one. No lacing, however.

Smell : Musty metallic wheat, hint of spice and metallic orange. Metallic orange dies off to a more natural orange. Surrounding the nucleus is an artificial cloying sweetness akin to sweet green beans soaked in orange koolaid and candy corn(??) that makes me want to chuck the bottle at the wall. It came close to smelling like a winner, but in comes the adjunct trumpet and plays a sweet tune that makes your ears bleed.

Taste : As a general witbier this misses the mark. There's some washed out citrus wheat, following with a lime note that belongs NOWHERE here, topping it with a metallic orange rind and then the best part of it left for last - perhaps to deceive you - a sweetly enjoyable sourdough pretzel/bread finish. Swirling it and dumping the last part of it DOES make it better, but only marginally. The taste of wheat is strong and left clinging to your palate, but it's still far from impressive. This is a poser beer. It is in no way a true wit. It's more like an artificial Xerox of what a true wit should be. However if you're not thinking it's a decent beer to just crack and drink out of the bottle.

Mouthfeel : It has the smooth creamy feel of the witbier but a cheap carbonation lies underneath. Leaves a sour, heavy feeling in the tummy.

Overall : If you drink a Shock Top Belgian and think you've tried a Wit, you've been mislead. This is the second beer I feel like pouring today. It's a sad example of a great style. Try Hoegaarden or Blue Moon for a much better example of how Witbier should be.

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

The spices and and peel tastes are not very evident in this beer, but overall a good, drinkable white.

A standard you see a lot of places and it really hits the "okay" rating pretty spot on. Not great, but not terrible either. Appearance is a hazy light yellow with a fizzy head. The smell was a lot of orange peel and other citrus. The taste was similar with a lot of orange and then a little bit of wheat and yeast underneath. Mouthfeel was pleasant. Overall, a beer I wont say no to, but probably wont be picking up a case anytime soon.

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

I'm surprised at the low rating. I always thought this was a good beer. Certainly no Paulaner but it's a decent wheat beer.

The smell and taste of this beer remind me of tomato soup. I like tomato soup, but it is not what I'm looking for in my beer.

Poor imitation of a belgian white. Watery imitation of Blue Moon even when the Blue moon white is a poor beer. I have a fondness for Bluemoon as it was my notice of the idea of Craft Beer and the existence other beers other than adjunct lagers.

2.95/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I've found that drinking ST from the bottle and following the directions on the bottle on how to pour into a glass makes a big difference. Especially if you add a slice of orange to the glass. Still a fairly weak macrobrew, but better than your typical Bud or Miller swill.

2.79/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Well, it could be that my palate has been unduly influenced by the very hoppy ales I've been drinking. I found this Belgian White to be almost devoid of any flavor at all. I don't think I'd be able to tell much of a difference between this and one of the mainstream lagers.

I don't find anything exactly bad about it. It's kind of refreshing in the way sparkling water is refreshing, though with a bit of flavor one would likely identify as "beery." If there are spices, they were used most sparingly.

I've had MUCH worse beers than this - some so bad that I had to pour them down the drain. This beer is disappointing as a "white ale," but definitely NOT drain pour. I wouldn't spend money on it, but it it's hot or very warm out and it's offered to me, I will gladly take it simply as a thirst quencher.

4.48/5  rDev +52.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Shock Top taste great UNLESS you do not read the bottle. With this beer it is important that you pour the beer into a mug except for about an inch of beer in the bottle. At this point you need to swish around the beer in the bottom of the bottle to get the sediment out and dump into your glass. You will have a much better tasting beer. I also recommend squeezing a slice of orange into the beer for a more citrus flavor.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch