Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 760 | Hads: 3,475
3.19/5  rDev +6.3%

Shock Top Belgian White brew by Anheuser-Busch. I don't like the appearance of this brew- too cloudy. This brew is not filtered. But I beleive that is how all wheat brews are. The brew pours out a cloudy amber color. Taste is good ; you can taste the wheat and the orange. Overall, I like this brew. The taste is where it's at, bold flavor and smooth going down.

3.31/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I had this beer on tap in a bar in Arizona.. So keep in mind it was hotter than hell outside.. plus I hadn't ate much... But for a hot day when your hungry, this beer is amazing... I don't like Wheat Beers very much but this was pretty good... The fruit flavor throws off the crappy wheat flavors lol.. Plus it will fill you up, which can be good or bad depending on what your wanting... I will say Blue Moon is better brew of the same style... But on a hot day when you've been working hard this beer is hard to beat...

3/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a tulip from 16 oz can.

A: Hazy yellow cold with a two finger head that dissipated pretty quickly. There was little to no lacing.

S: Faint aroma

T: Very mild. It was hard to pick up the coriander. It tasted like a straight wit to me.

M: Light mouthfeel, again like a wit.

O: I remember trying this when I first got into craft a few years ago and liking it. So, seeing it in a 16 oz. can intrigued me. While there is nothing offensive here there is nothing to bring you rushing back other than the convenient packaging.

3.21/5  rDev +7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I had been looking forward to trying this brew for a while after enjoying the Shock Top End of the World chili infused beer. As a fan of Blue Moon I figured give another mass produced "Belgian White" a shot. The results were a bit disappointing.

Poured from bottle to Pilsner glass
Cloudy, wheat color with delicate streaks of carbonation, inch and a half of head that faded quickly, nothing intriguing.

Crisp citrus scents with orange peel dominating (the label is a faithful representation in this respect). I actually quite liked the qualities of the smell but it was a weak scent that required me to stick my nose in the glass and breathe deeply to get anything. So well engineered but too weak.

Citrus notes continue to dominate but not distinct orange taste which was a bit of a disappointment, wheat notes also present. Crisp and clean but void of complexity.

Nothing stuck out one way or the other, the finish was clean but no distinguishing characteristics otherwise.

Overall impression:

For a cheap, American Belgian White, stick with Blue Moon. Shock top had potential but missed the mark, as so many great men have said before "Go big or go home!"

3.34/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm reviewing both Shock Top alone and as a black and tan made with their "Chock Top" chocolate wheat beer. A moderate pour of the Shock Top produces just a short-lived creamy white head. It's quite pale, hazy and moderately carbonated. After sampling the Shock Top alone, I re-poured the bottom of the glass with Chock Top, then gently poured a layer of Shock Top over a spoon. The two beers separate fairly well, but its a bit tricky, since an earlier attempt had failed utterly. Still, the separation can be distinctly seen.

I reviewed Chock Top by itself a little while back, and thought it one of the best chocolate beers I had sampled- I just think it works with this style, and could be emulated. The addition of the Shock Top in a black and tan brings about some flavors reminiscent of one of those orange chocolate candies. Shock Top alone is nothing special, with some lemony-orange, and grassy tones, and easy drinking, but nothing too distinctive. The two combined are really quite nice, since the chocolate flavor is tough to subdue, and the Shock Top quiets it down a bit while adding some citrus notes. The number ratings are for the Shock Top alone, however. If I could rate them together, I would probably add a quarter or half point in each category.

3.78/5  rDev +26%

Shock top belgian white is absolutely delicious . Everything down from the taste to the packaging. Its citrus like taste adds points. The orange slice with the sunglasses is pretty cool too. It makes you feel good when you drink this beer. I give a good score to it. I will most certainly be getting this beer in the future

3.16/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bought a four pack of 16 ounce cans on sale for 3.99 - Poured into a chilled pint glass.

A - Poured out a cloudy yellow with a rich and long lasting head.

S - Citrus with some malt undertones.

T - Very fruity with citrus dominating and some other spice in the background.

M - Very creamy with a spice finish.

O - Different but I won't be dumping the remaining three cans but not sure if I will be buying more. I actually think this could be a good introduction to "crafty" beers for your BMC drinking friends.

3.85/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden straw color with a thin white head. Smells of wheat, hops, and slight hints of citrus. The taste very citrusy with mild hints of hops and wheat. The mouth feel was pleasant with slight carbonation. I tried it both without the orange and with both are good however i found with the orange the beer became a little too citrusy for me. Overall it was a decent beer.

3/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Got this one in a split pack with Shock Top's Chocolate Wheat brew.

The appearance, was a quite beautiful golden color with a thin head.

The smell, was a nice clean wheat and hops smell.

The taste, was an in your face citrus attack. I was not a fan and also didn't much care for mixing it with the Chocolate Wheat that the package recommended.

Mouthfeel, was pretty smooth with some light pleasant bubbles.

Overall, I wasn't much of fan of the citrus flavor but everything else about it was solid.

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

A-hazy gold with a small white head
S-orange fruit smell with some corander and a hint of vinilla and a bready smell
T-orange jumps out at you at first with a sweet bready taste. Has a slight tart taste in the aftertaste
M-light body with medium cabonation
O-Okay beer

3.21/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer gets a mention in Stan Hieronymus' "Brewing With Wheat" as an example of what happens when a large brewery tries to market a traditional beer style to the general public (successfully, if sales are any indicator. Of course they aren't, at least where quality is concerned). The recipe is in fact rather interesting, deviating from the classic orange peel and coriander spice formulation (although these are in there too, in spades ... Apparently they use no unmalted wheat along with lemon and lime peel). Tried on tap at a Calgary pub, certainly looks like a decent witbier, a cloudy orange-yellow with a dollop of white foam. As is often the case with North American mass-produced wits, has a huge coriander nose, a sour spicy tang along with a little raw dough. Quite crisp and dry, heavily carbonated and the coriander is too forward. One thing I will say is that there's a decent amount of citrus pith that DOES provide a counterbalance of sorts to all of that seed spice, some orange-lemon-lime (a bit like Mountain Dew soda pop) to prevent this from tasting purely like a coriander soup. You have to pay close attention though, as this brew is relatively devoid of any character from Belgian yeast or malt and leaves a relatively muted, watery impression. Alternatively, slam it back on a hot day and appreciate it for what it is.

2.9/5  rDev -3.3%

Pint can purchased from one of the local quick mart's.

Cloudy orange coloration.. Very orange. Slight one finger head that is short lasting.

When cold, Mid-heavy orange flavor with very minor hints of wheat and spice.
Think bread dipped in cheap OJ. Once it warms, pure Tang flavor.

Drink ice cold.

Smells of orange. (big surprise there)

Mid-light texture.

This beer would be okay if slammed ice cold on a hot day. Unfortunately the citrus becomes overwhelming once it warms.

3.31/5  rDev +10.3%

Had in standard ale glass

A: straw color; good 3-finger head; beautiful steam of carbonation; ok lacing
S: banana, light, but disappears after about 1 minute
T: banana, pear, lightly flavored; no hops, slightly sweet, not complex

I wasn't expecting much from Shock Top, and those expectations were exceeded (hence the high marks).

3.95/5  rDev +31.7%

Sampled in a bottle back on 11/20/13. Chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in a pilsner glass.

I had this on tap many times before, especially back in Orlando and was served with a orange slice. From the Shock Top Brewing Company in St. Louis (the Bud folks), their "SHOCK TOP ~ BELGIAN WHITE" pours a hazy orange-yellow in color with a 2-finger fizzy white head that doesn't last long. Above average carbonation. Some spotty lacing was seen. The aroma is of some grains with some citrus and spice. The taste was the same and a little 'watered down' like most Bud brews BUT is still better than most of their brews.

2.36/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

The beer was in a bottle, and was inviting because it was labeled "Belgium Ale." It was light on the tongue and milky -- SKIM milky -- on the palate. Had a metallic after-taste that barely buzzed me. Had no idea this was an Anheuser-Busch product, but after tasting it, I realized it was like having a Bud Light Platinum with slight creamy finish.

2.28/5  rDev -24%

To put it simply, this is basically Budweiser with some orange thrown in there. That's pretty much all that I got out of this, in all aspects. Not the best of this style by any means; there are FAR better Witbiers out there...FAR BETTER. But if you're just looking for an easily drinkable beer and you're on a budget, I'd have to say this is better than most of the piss beers out there.

2.39/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy orangish yellow color with small head and little lacing. Not much aroma either but I do get a hint of citrus smell. Taste is very bland like a popular light beer not really what I expected. Do not taste the citrus really don't taste anything. No bitterness detected at all and very slight orange aftertaste. Overall it's drinkable but tasteless.

3.81/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Somewhat a cloudy orange

S - Sweet, almost too sweet.

T - Taste is ok but i was expecting more "Umf" to it.

M - Very watery to me.

O - Not a bad beer but not a great beer by any standard.

Overall this beer did better than expected. The only drawback was the beer was similar to a citrus Lite beer. I was expecting more of a punch but it was OK. Good summer Beer but very light to seasoned beer drinkers.

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tastes more like bud light with a small hint of citrus. Very smooth and easy to drink. Doesn't smell too bad either and the alcohol is just right. Gets you a nice buzz too. I have yet to try any of the other flavors but I'm more inclined to save pumpkin for last and get raspberry next time.

3.88/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Seems like this Beer gets a lot of Negative reviews,and as I sit here drinking my first "Shock Top Belgian white" I really do not understand why,sure there are better Belgian Witbiers out there ..but Honestly,I am enjoying this one quite a bit! and think all in all,this is a very nice Beer,very nice Indeed!Smooth,Crisp & super refreshing:)I think the sour edge may put some people off this brew,but I Myself like the tartness of it,I Never let reviews put me off trying a Beer,Because when all is said and done,we all have our own personal tastes and preferences,and a lot of Beers I enjoy quite a Bit are rated really Low here on this site,yet swill I would not let a pig drink [Steel Reserve 211] gets a very high rating by the Bros..LMAO,Really? an "88" score for Flat,rusty tasting,nasty as hell Steel Reserve malt Liquor? and Heineken gets rated as 'Poor"?~hehehe,Oh well man,to each his own I guess,just goes to show you should never take anyone elses word for something,not Mine,Not the "Bros",no ones,I enjoy reading a lot of reviews to see what other people think,but thats about it,I like to make my own mind up & draw my own conclusions,and so should you guys/Gals~Cheers & Peace2All.

4.1/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A perfect summer treat...

Not the type of beer you would bring to a house party or have more than two in one sitting. But yes, on a hot summer day on the boat or relaxing on a patio it is what the Dr. ordered. I think that some people (not all) don't give it a fair shake because of the Anheuser-Busch name.

A: Musky orange, not much head

S: Not much of a smell but a hint of citrus/coriander

T: You can definitely taste the orange (but what were you expecting with the orange with the mohawk symbol) Delicious, Light, Sweet taste.

M: Lightly carbonated on top but the bottle seemed to provide slightly more carbonation. Crisp and refreshing all the way down.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, it may not be everyone's taste, it isn't your standard Wit, but its good in it's own way.

1.69/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Not a fan of this beer. Had it more than a few times. Some times it was more enjoyable than others. This time not so much.

Bottle has no date which always bothers me. Pour gives a cloudy orange/ brown color. One finger head which leaves very quickly. Almost as if it was never there. First thing I smell is coriander. Very, very strong. Orange follows behind as expected but is more mellow than I think it should be (especially considering the label). Tons of carbonation on the tongue. A bit too much for me. Getting a strange watery, bitter orange juice flavor with the overpowering flavor of coriander. Doesn't work well on my palate. By far the worst part of this experience is the lingering after taste. Very hard to describe. Makes my mouth pucker but not in a dry wine kind of way.

This is my second time drinking this beer this week and both times I seem to get this wierd stomach ache. Expired? No way to tell since there is no date... On other occasions I've had this it has been more palatable. If I reviewed this when I had it last year it would be a solid 3. This time I didn't enjoy it at all.

3.12/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I bought this beer for $11.99 for a 12-pack. I thought I would give it a go for that price. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a date code that I don't know what it is and into a pint glass. Poured 1/2 the bottle, gave it a swirl, and aggressively poured the rest. I got 1 1/2 fingers of head.

A: Pours a yellow, hazy color with 1 1/2 fingers of head that settle very quickly to form a ring of foam around the glass and that will last until the end. Little to no lacing.

S: Not really a lot there. I was expecting a smell of spices or citrus. It doesn't smell bad; there is just nothing.

T: There is a little spice and some wheat. Again, not a lot going on there.

M: It goes down smooth. Light, nicely carbonated, and makes me want to take another sip. It ends dry.

O: I say it's not bad. I kind of like it because it's easy drinking. I would serve it and recommend it if you haven't tried it. Have one and let's talk about it.

4.09/5  rDev +36.3%

Another good Shock Top offering...

I was impressed with the good gold color of the beer. These Belgian's don't always impress me with their hue but this one looks good. Unfortunately, little to no head, and no staying power - but it was a very bright white color - I'll give it that. I also liked the soothing wheat smell mixed in with hops - it was just right. The carbonation was just right, and the taste was exactly what I smelled, which is a big plus up for me. Overall, I was impressed - it was smooth and refreshing, while packing a decent punch.

2.1/5  rDev -30%

I'm not a fan of this beer. Smells like OJ, tastes like watered-down OJ. Unpleasant, lingering aftertaste. It pales in comparison to other similar brews including Blue Moon, which is average at best in my opinion. Surprised to see it was over 5% ABV. Would not buy it again.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch