Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Prostman81

3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Had a couple of these at a friends house, which were left-overs from a party. Overall, I was put off by the very artifical aroma and taste of the oranges and spices (I don't want to think about what chemicals are in here), but when I drink it, it goes down very smooth and refreshing. In fact, after a night of 'sessioning' some higher ABV brews, this was a welcome drink at the very end. Basically this is AB's response to Blue Moon, I can see this going over well with the non-craft crowd who think they're trying a 'craft' beer. I can't really say anything else bad about this because I did enjoy it, but I definitely wouldn't buy this personally. I'd rather just have a regular Budweiser or something that I feel isn't as artifically made. At least I got a couple of pry-off bottles for my homebrew out of the deal.

08-18-2010 15:52:30 | More by Prostman81
Soonami

Shock Top is not bad for an Anheuser Busch product, but definitely not a beer that compares very favorably to the better craft examples. However, it has a terrible label design and that alone would discourage me from buying that beer. Overall, I would say that's it is average.

The beer is a hazy bright, almost artificial yellow-orange. The witbier smells mostly of orange, cinnamon and clove. The taste is dominated by the sweet citrus and yeast spice with a bit of wheat present. The carbonation is rough, a bit on the low side and prickly on the tongue. The beer is thin and the finish is a bit on the sweet side. Not a terribly interesting or complex beer (i.e. not really "Belgian") but drinkable and refreshing on the beach.

08-15-2010 18:35:53 | More by Soonami
LacquerHead

3.25/5  rDev +10.2%

Had this at Big Daddy's in CC TX
Served in a regular pint glass
I had two pints, one without an orange and the second with.

It poured a hazy, almost opaque orange yellow with an off white head which settled to a very thin lacing then nothing at all.

The aroma was not very strong, but it had an orange peel smell mixed with a very weak hefeweizen.

T: It tasted like a mellow lager was used as the template on which wheat and orange flavoring was added. The wheat profile was not very strong.

It had drinkability, I'll give it that. It was very smooth and had a nice non-aggressive carbonation.

To me this tasted like an orange flavored lager with a little bit of wheat thrown in. I can't knock this too much because it was sort of refreshing in the hot humid air of Corpus Christi TX.

If I was at a bar which served predominantly BMC products, I would easily go for this one. I didn't find anything offensive about this beer because: it was cheap, worth the price, and I was not expecting much anyway.

Note: on my second pint I asked for an orange slice. I say, "If you want to throw an entire orange in it then do it!" Normally I don't like fruit in my beer but there was nothing sacred about this one so what the hell, orange slice it is.

08-15-2010 01:27:38 | More by LacquerHead
SickGnar

3.18/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Hazy, cloudy golden with ever so slightly amber highlights. Foam rises fast and falls quick leaving very little lacing.

S: Citrusy generic Wit. Strong, but non-descript citrus with noticeable coriander. Wheat beer base is a bit spicy but stays in the background.

T: In the palate the citrus is distinctly orangey. Generic lemony coriander follows behind on a spicy broad but shallow wheat beer base. Just barely notice balancing hops.

M: Carbonation at upper end for style with a medium body.

D: Pretty decent take on the style. A bit mild and thinly stereotyped, but refreshing nonetheless. Better than than Bud Light. Much better.

08-08-2010 02:10:49 | More by SickGnar
hworking

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev +16.3%

S-bottle
A-pretty cloudy some what Orange colored with very little head to it and didn't last long
S-smells pretty decent sort of a citrus smell
T- taste was good but I don't think I could drink very many of them I think i would get tired of it
M- very watery feeling not too thick
D-drinkability is pretty easy to drink

08-07-2010 20:49:19 | More by hworking
JohnnyBarman

Ontario (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev +18%

On draught at my resort bar in Orlando. It was a hot day, and a wit seemed like the appropriate choice.

Poured a light opaque orange, served with a slice of orange for a garnish. Thin head, didn't survive long, but I'll chock that up to the citric acid.

Nose is, well, orange. Orange rind and light wheat malt.

Not much to it, reminds me a great deal of Rickard's White/Blue Moon. Pretty one- dimentional flavor (orange rind), but it tastes pretty decent and goes down well. Alcoholic orange soda.

Lighter carbonation, oily, orange-juice mouthfeel (again, the orange piece probably helped).

Not one I'll search out again, but I'll never turn it down. There's something about these macro orange witbiers that just tastes like summer to me.

08-07-2010 18:43:34 | More by JohnnyBarman
soju6

Missouri

3.08/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Served a hazy golden color with a small head that faded quickly.

S: Citrus aroma with a hint of sweetness.

T: Light citrus taste that is clean and refreshing. Slightly bitter finish.

F: Light body that is smooth and goes down easy.

D: Decent beer, much better than I expected from AB. Seems to go best with food.

08-06-2010 10:45:45 | More by soju6
EwaldEichstaett

Jordan

3.13/5  rDev +6.1%

On tap at Applebees because there was nothing better to drink... Applebees' beer selection sucks. I drank one with the orange and one without. If you use the orange it will basically dominate the flavor/smell. Review is from beer without the orange.

A: Average sized head and lacing. I like the orange color and hazy appearance.

S: The beer smells very sweet and malty. Thats it.

T/M: Tastes sweet and obviously fruity Upon inspection, a slight bitterness is noticed. The beer actually feels a bit light in the mouth, but the carbonation is nice. The beer is smooth which complements the sweetness.

D: Not the best beer by any means. Normally not a "fruit in beer" person, but I think I'd take the orange in this case as it makes up for a lack of flavor.

08-05-2010 18:35:39 | More by EwaldEichstaett
thecarster1

2.83/5  rDev -4.1%

a- bottle poured into a weizen, full two fingers worth of head, watered down apple juice colored, hazy, head fades quickly leaving some lace.

s- wheat-very light, citrus, tart orange, bit of lemon, pepper, some grain with a bit of sweetness.

t- lacking in flavor, slight yeast and wheat, bits of citrus peek through then run back into the muddled mess of flavors, the finish is almost skunky tasting.

m- medium, creamy.

d- ok, it's drinkable, just not much flavor here, and i would rather drink many other different beers before i would drink this again.

08-03-2010 02:24:43 | More by thecarster1
gkunkle

Oregon

3.25/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a cloudy pale golden/orangey color. Head slowly dissipates and leaves a film on top. Has the traditional clove and banana smells of a wheat beer. tastes wheatey with a little bit of citrusey orange. Overall this is a nice beer to drink, it surely isn't perfect, but its refreshing. Even though I am not a big fan of AB, I think this is a reasonable beer.

07-25-2010 19:57:38 | More by gkunkle
aahynick

2.95/5  rDev 0%

about 40 degree F into a pint glass
A- hazy gull gold with rapidly disappearing head.

S- citrus and corn.

T- faint citrus Not too complex, can't detect anything else

M- weak and watery

D- unimpressive. Reminds me of a slightly improved version of Bud or Miller GD

07-24-2010 22:46:39 | More by aahynick
bigbodybussey

Georgia

2.95/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - A very nice orange hued beer. Some light sediment from fermentation, but a very clear orange brew.

Smell - The smell has an immediate smell of citrus...definetly orange. There is a subtle hint of cloves and maybe coriander. Very pleasant smelling in my opinion.

Taste - the taste is similar to blue moon. You definetly get the bitterness of the citrus flavors. The aromas of the spices used in fermentation linger in your mouth after swallowing.

Mouthfeel - It is a very light brew to drink. Inmy opinion the carbonation was a bit too much, but tolerable.

Drinkability - I think this is a great brew for hot summer days and cookouts. A decent beer overall.

07-23-2010 21:55:14 | More by bigbodybussey
connguy

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev +30.5%

A good beer for the price- cheaper than Blue Moon and almost as good. Great summer brew, not sure I'd go for it in the winter as I like darker beers in the winter months here in Connecticut. I get a sixer of this at least once a month during the Summer and Fall. Nice citrusy taste. Michelob did a good job here!

07-14-2010 03:51:26 | More by connguy
DrRosenscrotum

3.7/5  rDev +25.4%

Was tired of having same old beer selection at local eatery, so I gave this a try. I am a newbie at exploring my beer tasting palate past the popular brands or should I say "common" choices.

I was pleasantly surprised at the inviting aroma this beer had, good balance of spices and citrus. Though I wasn't blown away with its taste I would recommend it as a good buy for a chain restaurant option.

07-12-2010 19:27:48 | More by DrRosenscrotum
GNR4life2

3.9/5  rDev +32.2%

This is Blue Moon's baby brother in my opinion.

A: Very clear orange with a nice head.

S: Citrus and spice.

T: Very light and tastes like watered down orange juice.

M: Crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation.

D: Its very decent. If you cant find blue moon or are just a cheap ass and dont wanna pay the extra dough for blue moon then this is good. Nice dinner beer if I may say.

07-09-2010 02:00:00 | More by GNR4life2
JunkYardJake

2.6/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz bottle poured into pilsner glass.
Pale yellow in color with a small film of head and alot of bubbles. Smells of clove and a little banana. Tastes ok at first with alot of spice and banana flavor up front but falls flat quickly leaving the mouth with an empty feeling. Also, I noticed the flavors get less and less noticeable as you approach the bottom of the glass. Very fluid mouthfeel with very little body. Not a great example of the style. Refreshing brew that achieves it's goal of appealing to the masses but thats about it.

07-07-2010 01:10:57 | More by JunkYardJake
gatornation

pours a murky off yellow color with a small head and some ok retention with a smallish ring..smell is of clove and fruit some spice but its faint..tatse is the same it has a Belgian look to it but the flavors are so thin and faint..its like they tried to make a great brew but just did not put enough ingredients into it..thin mouth feel as well ..not a solid attempt of the style and unflavorful

07-06-2010 22:21:43 | More by gatornation
HalfFull

3.58/5  rDev +21.4%

Served in a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle from a Michelob Spring sampler. I almost didn't buy the pack due to the presence of Shock Top but I found it much more pleasant than the tap version.

Pours a light golden straw with a touch of haze and offers half an inch of foam. Retention is light but keeps a thin film.

Nose has a slight Belgian funk to it when swirled but is otherwise rather light in nature. Offers a bit of summer fruit and a light citric sense, much lighter in a false fruit sense than experienced on tap.

Flavor is lightly bready of wheat and slightly citric with a subtle orange flavor which masks things a bit too much actually. A bit of spice is revealed on the finish and lingers nicely. Smooth feel and carbonation help things along and make this a fairly quaffable brew.

While surely not special, this beer offers much more character from the bottle when compared to the draft version.

07-06-2010 07:42:02 | More by HalfFull
t00sl0w

3.28/5  rDev +11.2%

went and took a tour of the local Anheuser Busch plant in my home town, and this was one of the brews on tap at the end of the tour.

a- pale straw, 1.5 finger head drop to 1 finger fast.

s- little citrus, little wheat

t- not terrible, not bitter, not malty either. wheaty

m/d- bubbly at first, then smooth. high drink-ability, its lite, so.

07-03-2010 19:34:35 | More by t00sl0w
alli4051

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -11.9%

This was one of the few options on tap at a weekly outdoor music series here in Boulder. Appearance is a hazy straw color. About a finger's worth of head that leaves an average amount of lacing when gone. Smell is a little lacking, nothing special. Taste starts off ok; however, about halfway through things go horribly wrong. Kinda tastes like someone went on a rampage in my spice rack and dumped a bunch of crap in my beer, way too overpowering. The spiciness is way out of balance in my opinion, but if that's more your style I could see this being a very sessionable summer beer. However, overall a swing and a miss in my opinion.

07-03-2010 04:13:30 | More by alli4051
jwinship83

3.18/5  rDev +7.8%

12oz bottle picked up as part of an all wheat mixed 12 pack michelob put out. drank from a standard pint glass.

A- this one pours out of the bottle a translucent and pale orange colored body with a decent sized bright white head. the head lasts a surprisingly long time and leaves behind small spots of lacing.

S- the nose on this one isnt too strong. malted wheat behind some orange zest and clove. not much yeast character to it.

T- the taste is also pretty bland. it starts out with a touch of malted wheat and moves into a light spiciness from clove and orange peel. mildly sweet.

M- light to medium bodied with lots of carbonation. moderately refreshing.

D-its ok, i guess. id choose it over blue moon most of the time, so i guess the brewer accomplished what he set out to do.

06-26-2010 14:58:35 | More by jwinship83
kneeland

3.75/5  rDev +27.1%

It's definitely compared to Blue Moon, pretty much looks identical. It's got that orange/yellow color, citrus smell and taste, but not much head. It first pours nice, but goes away very quickly.

I bought a six pack trying to decide if I want to get a keg of it. I'm still undecided. It seems like a nice summer beer, so maybe I'll get it since it's summertime.

06-17-2010 01:02:12 | More by kneeland
miket163

3.63/5  rDev +23.1%

This was an interesting beer. The taste was very much like that of a Blue Moon, but slightly less sweet. I had this one out of the bottle unfortunately, yet it was still a very refreshing beer...something that would go great with a summer BBQ. Taste was citrusy, slightly sweet, not much in the area of hops, and yeasty. Good summer beer.

06-14-2010 16:02:00 | More by miket163
SamN

Colorado

3.5/5  rDev +18.6%

A- Alight straw yellow with mild orange hues to light. Opaque with yeasty sediment. Decent head poured, but fades rather fast to thin wisps of it's former self. Definitely a witbier.

S- Orange rinds, bready wheat and two-row malts. Not much in the way of spices and coriander, but not totally absent. Almost indistinguishable from a Blue Moon.

T- A little thin and flat. Very nice creaminess. I don't about others, but I can detect some faint lime flavor, per the label. Starts off with orange rinds, moves to creamy malts and the banana-like yeasts and finishes on spiced ctirus fruits and more creamy breads. Seriously, not a bad brew. Can't quite give a "good" score, but more than average for sure.

M- Very light and thin body with too much carbonation.

D- Good. I actually liked this more than my current macro favorite Blue Moon. A damn decent attempt at a classic Belgian style. Great for summer drinking.

06-14-2010 02:40:08 | More by SamN
DefenCorps

Oregon

2.3/5  rDev -22%

Ugh. What a waste of $6.

Pouring a hazy light orange, this beer has no head and no lace. It looks rather turbid, not really how I expect my witbiers to look. The nose is rather poor, with a lot of fruit character, quite dominated by an orange juice like sweetness that does not work when coupled with the coriander that's also quite prominent. Wheat character is dominated by these characteristics. The palate, while similar, is a little more palatable. Opening with a blend of orange juice and coriander spiciness, this is rather overwhelming on the palate. Quite a bit sweeter than I care for, this beer has some wheat flavor before drying on the finish with a lingering orange and coriander character. It feels rather over-carbonated, and isn't particularly pleasant. I couldn't care enough to actually consume the entire glass. Not recommended.

06-13-2010 23:45:19 | More by DefenCorps