Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Went into tasting shock top with open taste buds and still was surprised. Not all that impressive to look at in a glass, slightly hazy, head doesn't last. Little stick or lacing. Scent is only slightly reminiscent of wheat, some citrus. Taste is of grain, just sweet enough to want more. A bit of citrus and wheat. Little if any hops. Mouthfeel is neutral. This beer is a nice drinkable beer and may "shock" some people. Sorry about that. Got carried away. No game changers here but a solid drinking summer beer.

gskitt, Aug 14, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -2.4%

While I found this inoffensive, I also found it undrinkable. Lots of white foam on top of the light coloured body. Neutral aroma. Middling though aggressive carbonation. Something orange in the background. In the style, but nothing tasty.A bit of a gateway beer.

Sammy, Aug 14, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Michelob/Anheuser-Busch is not a brewer I normally associate with flavorful beverages, so it came as a surprise when someone handed me a Shock Top at a party and I found myself wanting a second. With a strong nose bearing intense citrus aromas--mainly orange, with hints of lemon--and coriander, this Witbier immediately ranks higher than anything else Michelob has put out.

On the tongue, the brew is hugely sugary and citrusy, orange again outranking everything else, but joined by hints of lemon and lime, coriander, and Grape Nuts-flavored malts. These flavors last well into the aftertaste, with little change. However, while the beer is quite flavorful--perfect beach fare, in fact--it's obvious that Michelob made up for small amounts of malts and hops through the addition of pounds and pounds of orange, lemon and lime peels to the tanks.

For discerning (picky) palates, this will be equivalent to covering a third-rate cut of meat with extra salt and black pepper--i.e. an obvious band-aid solution. I have no doubt, however, that many will think this beer delicious. I certainly think it's the tastiest beer Michelob has ever put out, and will reach for it again on my next camping trip.

jondeelee, Aug 06, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.

Mirky straw amber in color with two fingers of bright white head, dissipated quickly.Weak carbonation, no lacing

Yeasty malts, and smells of citrusy furniture polish. Appealing if you're into this style. No hop presence.

Orange presence was more detectable on the nose, more faint on the taste. Malted yeast flavors that are more pronounced and less enjoyble as it warms.

Light body and low carbonation, decent drinker on a hot day.

Overall- not overly impressed. However, I would recommend this to someone that is starting to venture away from BMC and experiment.

Siggy125, Aug 06, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from bottle into glass

A: Pours a light amber with slight haze. 1 finger head minimizes to small cap and slightly laces the glass but does not leave sticky gum.

S: A nose full of orange and spice prevail. A little wheat.

T: The wheat, orange, and spice are sensed. The flavor is good, but is played out halfway through the drink.

M: Creamy with good mouth coating. Aftertaste of wheat is good. Downfall: Over carbonated.

cagocubs, Aug 03, 2011
3.05/5  rDev +3.4%

A single tallboy can picked up from the LCBO; there were displays of these all over and it's pretty obvious they were trying to clear some stock. Still, I am always down for a new witbier.

Pours a cloudy golden-orange colour with a finger of puffy head that is gone within a minute. A decent collar and cap are left behind. Doesn't look too heavily carbonated. Smell reminds me of Minute Maid, with some wheat and spices thrown in. Seems a little artificial somehow.

Wheat, yeast, and some lemon/lime/orange zest are basically the only flavours. A bit of coriander spiciness in the finish, but not much aftertaste. Thin bodied with high carbonation; this is as easy to throw back as any cheap lager.

A pretty lame witbier. Drinkable without much else going for it; a decent lawnmower brew. Not disgusting, just not really worth going out of your way for. I can't think of any compelling reason to get this again, especially when Hoegaarden is almost everywhere.

thehyperduck, Jul 29, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

i got this beer at thestoretheother day.Igotin bottleand poured into pint glass. The first thing I noticed is the color which is an intense yellow which is very pleasant. It poured nicely with a one inch head. The smell is fairly fruity and taste is also surprisingly fruity. It has a slight spiced taste with an apricote taste to it. I did not care for it that much. It is a nice attempt to making a fruity beer. I'm sure it is practical for the summer time.

bastardface, Jul 26, 2011
3.08/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a hazy straw colour with a large, foamy white head that retained itself fairly well, but left little to no lacing as I drank (heavy bubbles).

I can barely smell anything at all here. Not gonna lie. faint (and I mean FAINT) yeasty hint with maybe some citrus? as if smelling the ghost of a witbier.

After the nonexistent nose, the taste was actually somewhat of a pleasant surprise. Not a strong beer by any sense, but has a decent (but not overly done) texture to it, kind of orange peels and bread. No hops to speak of, and the malts are kind of doughy.

Overall a surprisingly refreshing beer, good for a hot summer afternoon watering the garden (umm... that's exactly what I am doing, other than type type typing away on this review). Not something that you're going to go crazy over and hunt down the last stock, but if you want something that will appeal to a broad base, that is good for hot weather, good for an afternoon drink, not offensive in any manner, you could do considerably worse than this brew.

edit: I didn't even realize until reviewing here that it was a subsidiary of A-B. I actually enjoy this more than Blue Moon right now (the other major foray into craft brew wannabes that I can think of). As much as I am loathe to give them props over anything (just me being contrarian/my hippie upbringing), I have to give kudos to A-B for their entry into the 'giant Terminator robot in ipod's clothing (aka the Soundwave award)' market. Also, it makes me crave french fries. Don't ask why but it just hit me as I was finishing the last half and editing this review. Time for some Five Guys.

kemoarps, Jul 21, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -11.9%

A- Hazy burnt/cream orange. Two finger head sticks around for a second or two then quickly dissipates into a very thin, bubbly head. Very little lacing with poor retention.

S- Hints of orange and citrus with spice undertones. Sweet malts with little if any hop character. Well below par.

T&M- Creamy mouthfeel, mild carbonation. Very sweet upfront and through to finish. Citrus notes are present, but seem flat with no complexity. Very straight-forward sweet citrus with no bitterness.

O- A drinkable yet uninteresting beer. While a BMC drinker might think this beer is complex and different, I think most beer geeks would find this brew as grossly under-par in flavor and complexity compared with other fine wit beers.

Notes- A craft brew forgery. From packaging to pour, it looks and feels like a craft brew, but lacks complexity and is simply unbalanced. Coors did a much better job with Blue Moon than Budweiser did with Shock Top.

mikeylol, Jul 20, 2011

A lot of people on here are rating the company (AB) and not the beer. This is a delicious beer and I can imagine it becoming popular in the coming years. The label, the name, and the taste are all quality and I pick up a case regularly. Give it a chance and see what you think.

When poured, a nice thick head forms, eventually allowing you to smell the orange and citrus flavors. The head disappears completely after a few minutes. It smells great and tastes even better. The orange flavors are powerful yet not over the top and the after taste is pleasant. I greatly prefer this over the similar tasting Blue Moon.

BEERME528, Jul 18, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -27.8%

I really wanted to like this one...perhaps it's because I had the brilliant idea of purchasing 3 cans of it having not previously heard a single thing about it.

Similar to many other typical white ales, the nose reveals many citrus notes, however there is an abundance of lemon and lime peel to be found upon first sniff. Slightly off-putting, to say the least, seeing as how that's about the only thing you can smell. No hops to speak of.

When poured into a snifter, the beer reveals itself as being a nice hazy, golden-yellow colour. The carbonation is aggressive, and as such the one finger of fizzy white head dissipates within a few seconds, even after an aggressive pour.

At this point, the taste was not surprising. Despite a slightly higher abv than what I am used to in white beer, the alcohols presence is not felt. After an initial blast of orange and lemon, all that is detectable on the palate is a mild yeast flavour and excessive carbonation.

Qute easily the least impressive white ale I've yet to try. Anheuser-Busch strikes again...

aletale, Jul 13, 2011
2.95/5  rDev 0%

How very interesting that I am the first AmeriCAN to review this beer from a CAN when all other reviewers have been CANadian! Did you realize that A-B has their own CAN manufacturing facility? There are currently only four manufacturers of CANs: Ball, Crown, Rexam and A-B's arm, possibly identified on this CAN as "MCC".

From the CAN: "Belgian-style Wheat Ale Brewed with Spices".

Sheesh! The Crack and Glug netted me a finger of bone-white head that fell to pieces like a novice criminal under intense questioning. Color was a very cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose was certainly spicy enough and I have got to learn to distinguish Grains of Paradise from coriander, but I am betting on the latter here. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, not outright watery, but not much better than that. The taste was kind of muted, with hints of orange peel, coriander and even some yeasty mustiness, but it seemed weak. Finish was dry and refreshing, even peppery, but I still felt like it needed more Ooomph! A CANundrum - do I take up space in the cooler knowing that I will not be drinking it, but some honey honeys might? I'll err on the side of caution and throw some in as bait. Once I have them on my blanket under my umbrella, we'll break out the Ten Fidy ...

woodychandler, Jul 11, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Serving Type: 12 oz. twist top bottle poured into pilsner galss.

Appearance- cloudy honey color with two fingers of white head, which colapses to almost nothing, lacing is almost nonexistant.

Smell- Yeast and Orange smells, no hops detectable.

Taste- Bready Yeast flavor with a hint orange marmalade

Mouthfeel- Light body and carbonation

Overall- I can't say I'm impressed, after having a couple of brewes from Brewery Ommegang in the past week this does not come close. Blue Moon Belgian White is a better choice for this style.

beyah, Jul 11, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -59.3%

I tried shock top because I heard it was all the rave. Then I found it was made by Bud, strike one. I drank 5 of them and had to choke them down, it had a very strong orange taste to it which actually is sickening. Bud is trying to get into the micro brew market but they cant because they simply cannot amke a decent beer.

bradlemay, Jul 10, 2011

Surprisingly, even though I rated all of this a 3.o across the board, I would seek this beer out again due to how refreshing and smooth it was. They promote it to have a spice infuse with it but I could not taste it at all. That is my only true disappointment with this beer. It is infinitely better than a Blue Moon to me although the look is identical just as is the mouth feel. The difference is that A Blue Moon seemed to make me feel like I was drinking beer and giving me the feeling of a full stomach. Shock Top did not give me that full feeling even after a 6 pack. Being a Belgian White Ale, I was impressed but I wish it tasted a bit more like a beer and not a fruity wine.

tjsmith910, Jul 03, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +9.5%

Got this witbier on draft in a pint glass. Shock-Top poured a hazy pale yellow color. It produced a night white head that had decent retention. There was a little lacing left behind. The aroma featured malted wheat and slight traces of cloves and orange peels. The taste of the beer is mostly comprised of a soft wheat, sweet malt, clove and orange. There is only a faint trace of hops at the finish. Shock top is light in body, its drinkability is high but its not much more then a lawn mower beer. It might be a good starter beer to introduce to a "Bud Light" drinker, but even at that I would suggest a Blue Moon or a Boulevard Wheat over shock top.

GossageBrewery, Jun 30, 2011

473ml can
5.2% ABV
I tried this beer on May 6, 2011 after purchasing at the Queen's Quaq LCBO outlet in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer pours a hazy yellow with a huge white cap that quickly dissipates. The aroma is citrus and yeast, the spice is non-existent. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. The flavour is sour, a little wheat, and a little spice, and sourness is NOT a citrus sour.

cyrenaica, Jun 30, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a special, Sam Adams pint glass. Decent head, but dissipates very quickly. Cloudy and honey-colored, which is nice, but the cloudiness looks unnatural--almost like it's "fake" unfiltered.

Smells of wheat and citrus--simply and clean. Nice.

Tastes good; slightly bitter aftertaste, but a nice flavor. It's not great, but it's a 3 without doubt.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly good. It's crisp and refreshing, while simultaneously being creamy and full-bodied. Very nice.

Overall, this is a nice beer from AB. Its surprising mouthfeel is something entirely unexpected, and pleasantly so! I could be happy drinking this. It certainly rivals Blue Moon. Very nice!

Kooz, Jun 28, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured into a pint glass. a small 1 finger head. poured a deep orange. looks thick and full.

Smells like spices, slightly fruity, and like a wheaty beer, which i guess fits the style.

Taste sort of fruity. Makes me think of an orange flavor. Tastes is very full and thick.

Feels very smooth going down. not to carbonated or anything. leaves a slight residue but doesn't taste bad.

Overall this is a pretty good beer. nothing exceptional but not a bad buy. I bought it because alot of my friends will compare wheat beers to this one and i had never tried it. I'm not disappointed.

Swim424, Jun 27, 2011

Pours a hazy very pale yellow-orange color with a 1/2 inch white head that fades to a fizzy film on the top of the beer. No lacing whatsoever. Smell is of wheat, spices (coriander), and a surprisingly nice orange scent. Taste is of wheat up front, spices coming through in the middle, and the orange/citrus flavors coming in on the finish. This beer has a nice level of carbonation making for a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average witbier but good for coming from AB.

UCLABrewN84, Jun 26, 2011
2.95/5  rDev 0%

473 mL can, slightly chilled and poured into a pilsner glass

Appearance- Pours a hazy yellowish colour with two fingers of fluffy white head, which very quickly dissipates to an average ring around the glass and a nice bubbly top as well, leaving minimal to no lacing throughout the glass till finish.

Smell- I’m not getting a whole lot in the aromas here, there are some faint yeast smells coming through which should be almost typical for a wit beer, there are also some funky citrus fruity smells coming from this one as well but it’s not really an orange smell, also a weird almost adjunct lager smell coming from this one which being made by AB explains that one.

Taste- Is almost exactly like the smells, there is really not a whole lot going on in this one, the funky citrusy fruit flavours take over right off the bat, and again still doesn’t really have any kind of orange taste to it? Lots of bready malts in the finish with a mild hint of the yeast and some very mild spice notes in there as well, and also finishes with that weird adjunct lager taste, which is even weirder seeing as this is a wit beer.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied with below average carbonation, and finishes rather dry on the palate.

Overall- I can see exactly why this beer as such an amazing rating, another quality offering from AB here, of course if you can’t read the sarcasm in that one then you have drank one too many shock tops already. This beer is almost absolute drainpour material, the only that that was somewhat promising was the look of it, it does look like a wit beer and goes completely downhill from there. The smells and the tastes are very muted and although getting both a citrusy fruit smell and taste it never really translated to anything orange to me. Would not pick this one up again and the only reason I did is because I never noticed it before at the lcbo and also neglected to notice that this was an AB beer until I got home.

Roke87, Jun 26, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +18.6%

Layover at Dulles...in the Lufthansa Senator Lounge...and they have Beck's and Shock Top on tap. Started with the Shock Top...never had it before. The color is an unfiltered yellow with thin creamy head. The aroma is powered by citrus and subtle grain. The initial taste is an orange peel then turn a little tart. Certainly would compare this to Blue Moon. It is easy on the mouth and would be great on a warm day.

WoodBrew, Jun 25, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -5.1%

The beer is light tan and hazy with virtually no head from my pour. The smell is faint, yeasty, slightly earthy, maybe a bit "off." The taste is rather weak/light--moderately sweet, slight citrus, light grain (wheat/oat). It's not terrible and for a macro beer, actually passable. Maybe a good beer to use to help friends transition to craft beer. I have a few bottles in my fridge that a friend left behind--maybe I'll eventually drink them all.

PhiloPsych, Jun 22, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

So this Witbier pours out as a cloudy orange color. The head is deceit and leaves a surprisingly nice lacing. The smell of the beer has some wheat aromas and lots of citrus. The taste is citrusy also. The mouthfeel is decent, on the light side. Overall I'd never buy this beer for myself. I will drink it if it's free.

Knapp85, Jun 17, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured into pint...

A: pours the color of pulp free orange juice. very hazy with a frothy white head. not bad.

S: tons of orange peel, orange juice, orange cake aromas. you gotta like orange. also, a very spicy and bready aroma.

T: sweet orange juice upfront, but not cloying. quickly becomes very spicy, more reminiscent of classic wheat beers, and has a chalky, bread dough and orange peel finish, along with a long spicy fade.

M: medium body, creamy upfront, finishing light and crispy. one of the better aspects of this brew

Overall, not a bad brew. I know many in the beeradvocate world would love to bash me for that last statement. Truth is, it's time to put the hatred for AB products behind. This beer is enjoyable, especially on these hot days of summer, and priced recession friendly. Also, it is easily attainable. Don't hate, give it a shot.

OlRasputin989, Jun 14, 2011