1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Belgian WhiteShock Top Belgian White

poor

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

As far as American versions of Belgian beer go I think I may prefer Blue Moon to this one. That being said this one is not bad considering the words "Anheuser-Busch" appear on the label. I wouldn't rush out to get this one again but if it were a choice between Coors Lite, Budweiser, or Heineken at a restaurant I would lean toward this one.

I was surprised by how foamy it was. The foam more closely resembled latte foam than any beer I've ever had. It had the characteristic opaque visual of an unfiltered beer. At first I thought this was a trick of the light because I didn't think Michelob did that sort of thing. But, apparently, it is unfiltered.

The world is changing.

chefelf, Jan 24, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +50.8%

Had in a bottle

A: This beer has a cloudy pale golden color with a 1" head that laces the glass

S: This beer has a nice wheat and citrus smell

T: You can taste the Orange and coriander in this beer

M: This beer goes down real smooth

D: This is a witbier that I will drink again.

MikeRa, Jan 19, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +21.4%

Served in a glass.

A: Pours a very cloudy pale gold in color with a very stubborn white, thick head. Leaves noticeable lacing. Looks very appealing/enticing.

S: Wheat, citrus and spices. Smells pleasantly clean & flesh.

T: Same as smell. Citrus stands out although the flavors blend together well. Can definitely make out the coriander also.

M: Medium-bodied, perhaps a bit coarse. No carbonation or burn, as a previous reviewer said. Feels great.

D: Drinkability is high in terms of it not being too strong or off-putting and also the fact that the flavor is pleasant enough.

Fits the style well, not much else to say. I've had it on tap too and I think it was better on tap. Quite surprising for an A-B beer considering it's actually good. Give it a try.

echoes, Jan 16, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -10.8%

on tap at hooters a week ago, i just ordered it really for the sake of having a beer, served in a frosted mug, ehh.

pour is very light with a touch of hazy that clear quick and a cap of white foam that did not stick around long either. aroma is light citrus, loads of grain and a touch of grass. not what i was looking for and not in a good way at all. light peach flavor out of no where then whisked away with the fake orange flavor again and the over the top artifical flavoring. light body was hardly even there and overall i was just soo underwhelmed i dont know where to begin.

not again, i will not do this to myself again.

mikesgroove, Jan 11, 2011
3.03/5  rDev +2.7%

Head started off good at two fingers, but didn't last long. No lace. Color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart and the beer is quite hazy. Smell of honey, malt and citrus. Taste is sort of bland, some wheat and malt taste, a little bit of spice come in after the initial flavor is gone. Has a mellow mouthfeel, not enough to call creamy, but better than water. I would not go out and buy this to drink, but I would not turn it down if it was in a selection to drink at a party.

beerprovedwright, Jan 08, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Pale orange but it looks pretty decent overall.

S: Citrus. Both lemon, orange, and some hops as well.

T: Citrus (lemons/Orange) and not much else.

M: Not dry, little carbonation. Pretty good.

Drinkability: I find it OK. Something that I wouldn't turn away

Overall: It's a beer targeted to the masses and for what I think Michelob is trying to accomplish they did a good job.

JT2875, Jan 08, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +23.7%

Shock Top is another deceivingly American beer. Seems foreign, but it's nothing special, just another Bud product. It's really good for a cheaper beer, and it has a crisp wheat taste. Worth a try, but it get's a little boring and it's not a beer you can have a full six pack of in one sitting

VietPong, Jan 05, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +34.9%

I had seen this beer a few times before, but tried it for the first time yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Very crisp refreshing taste with little to no aftertaste. Seems like this would be a great summertime beer. I'll definitely be looking for it in a few months.

richkrull, Jan 03, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Minimal head with next to nothing head as it goes down. Cloudy with scant hint of carbonation.

Nice citrus smell.

Almost sweet fruity taste with a hint of light grain.

Nothing overwhelming but leaves modest dry feel.

Feel this would be adequate for summertime consumption. Not my fave but would definately have more if given a choice of any other AB products.

Hopalong29, Dec 26, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured a nice cloudy amber like I think a wheat beer should. but what do I know?

Very citrus smells....orange....lemon.

Small head which went away quickly. little lacing.

carbonation was about average.

The taste goes easy on you...still a little more in your face than Blue Moon. The orange taste over powers anything else.

It is better than some of the craft Belgian whites I have had. and I don't find it as bad as some of these other reviewers do. but what do I know?

I favor it over Blue Moon because it costs a good deal less. :-)

burgerandbeer, Dec 21, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -4.1%

#2. This is a commonly available beer found at most grocers. I have found Witbiers fairly easy to consume in the past and most fairly enjoyable. I have never tried Shock Top before. The neck of the bottle has instructions on how to pour my beer into the glass, informing me that I should roll my bottle back and forth to mix what is left after pouring half of my beer out. I assume that this is to get the full experience of orange pulpiness resin that may be caked on the inside of the bottle. The beer is manufactured by Michelob, of Anheuser-Busch.

Poured a 12oz bottle to a standard room temperature pint glass.

(Appearance) Beer pours a light gold and a very thin head is gone within a very short time leaving a nearly clear surface with no lacing. Despite having no areas of high flavor concentration, the beer is quite cloudy and appears thick and unstrained as Weissbeirs often are. Regardless, it does not look enticing. 2.5

(Smell) Even after swooshing, I can only detect a faint citrusy odor meshed with the wheat but not much else is discernible. It is frankly disappointing, and one of the worst characteristics I can find about this beer. 2

(Taste) Beer is very light and has very little hoppy flavor and almost no aftertaste aside from a mild flat tang that drags on for some time. It is smooth and a very easy drinker. The most dominating flavor in this beer is wheat, wheat and more wheat. It's not very exciting. Whatever spices and extra flavor that might have been used for the brew are hard to determine exempting a mild zest tastes that I gather at the end of each sip, which is reminiscent of dragging one's teeth across a citrus peel. It is neither pleasant nor disgusting. It has a distinct Macro-brew taste that will either make or break a beer's quality and reputation. 3

(Mouthfeel) Beer has moderate carbonation but foams a good deal at the back of my tongue. It is not dry but rather has a mild crispness to it that may originate from the citrus. It is somewhat sticky and not enjoyable to hold within the mouth for more than a short time. 2.5

(Drinkability) This is far from the worst beer I have ever had but it is far from the best as well. I praise it for being easy to drink. If I had no other choices, I could consume a few but wouldn't have a second otherwise. I didn't have to push myself to finish this beer but didn't fully enjoy it like I hoped I might. 3.5

Verdict: This beer is a fair buy for some, but I've had better Weissbier and I found the flavor to be severely lacking, which amongst other minor issues (Taste and flavor based, mainly) does not draw me back to invest in any more of this brand, at least on my dime. However, for those who like Weissbiers or anything wheat-heavy, you might get some cheap thrills from this one. C- (2.7)

Jadjunk, Dec 20, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours out to a hazy goldenrod with a small head that subsides quickly.

Smell is faint citrus, quite nice.

Taste is also citrusy with a bit of grapefruit flavor. Finishes very clean with very little in the way of hops.

Mouthfeel is where it takes a dive here. It feels really watery and doesn't hold much substance. However, drinkability is still good. Fairly light for a beer of this type.

Boneheadmx, Dec 18, 2010
1.85/5  rDev -37.3%

More transparent than expected; golden hue, thin white head, thin retention, spotty lacing. Very slight lemon in the nose, but underwhelming overall. Ditto the flavor; thin lemon'ish taste. All-around, very thin feel, and overly-carbonated. If you don't put a slice of orange in this, it's a modest step up from a water with lemon.

donniecuffs, Dec 18, 2010
2.95/5  rDev 0%

Had on tap the other night.

A- Pours a pale golden orange color. Two figner white head shows rather poor retention for how much head there was. Streaks of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Looks rather dull overall.

S- The aroma was rather muted on the nose. Some light bready malts with a hint of citrus aroma. Not much of anything else with maybe a hint of spicing. Other than that...nothing..nothing at all.

T- Citrus flavors in the front of the beer. There is a little bit of wheat in the middle of the beer but really nothing else at all except for a hint of spicing. It has flavor but at the same time is a little bland.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is heavy for the style which was a total buzzkill for me. Light citrus and wheat tones left on the palate. Citrus and alcohol left in the aftertaste. Flavors were muted and a bit watery. Crisp and clean tasting overall. Light drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- To be honest you can and I did drink a lot of this. The ABV is low enough and the flavor is light that makes this a easy drinker. I praise AB for trying to break into the belgian white profile but lets bump up the flavor guys!

alleykatking, Dec 15, 2010

Something about this beer just didn't seem quite right when I had this at the pub the other night. All aspects of this beer seemed off. The murky/muddy look of it through the glass was a turnoff. The taste was odd and despite not being very flavorful, it was a hard drinker. I'm guess not a big fan of Belgian Whites (Shock Top and Blue Moon as my only 2 reference points).

bubseymour, Dec 12, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -8.5%

a: pours a pale golden color with about a quarter inch of head that disappears quickly leaving only a trace of lace. There are a lot of carbonaiton bubbles rising to the top of the beer

s: sweet orange crisp aroma that is difficult to identify where it is coming from. There is also a bit of grapefruit aroma

t: sweet orange flavor followed by a slight hint of grapefruit bitterness

m: light bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, I would not recommend this beer

happygnome, Dec 12, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -25.4%

Aggressive pour into a thick tumblr from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance is light orange/dark yellow. Thin white head with fine bubbles. Little retention and little to no lacing.

Smell/Aroma/Nose is restrainted with slight aroma of citrus zest, and not much else.

Taste is also citrusy. Label description of "wheat ale brewed with orange, lemon & lime peels" may have clouded my perception, as I am searching for the lemon-lime, and more complexity. But, this is a simple beer.

Mouthfeel is easy, smooth and non-offensive . Slightly metallic aftertaste.

Drinkability: Brewed by Michelob/AB as a mass-market adjuct beer, I found this to be non-offensive, yet unimpressive.

jerryc123, Dec 08, 2010
1.8/5  rDev -39%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This beer made me wince. If I drank it often I'd probably get facial wrinkles from it. But was in my fridge, it got there from a careless friend, and I had to dispatch it.

I was getting some rough flavors about 3/4 of the way to swallowing, just metallic and bad-malty and vierd. Really I challenge that this is actually a Witbier.. I'm convinced its not, and that is really just reject budweiser with orange murk poured into it. The mouthfeel was DISTINCTLY budweiser. The same carbonation, the same feel on every surface of your mouth right after you swallow. I'm surprised the inherent sugars needed to produce the sweetness didn't change it more.

I definitely got the impression that there were two separate parts that didn't belong together, and that was it. Blue Moon at least seems unified when you have a sip. The "sweet" aspect tasted essentially artificial to me, a weird rosy orange. And again, the rough body. I just realized the name "shock top" supports my theory of how they add the flavor..

Fairly putrid. I will avoid it at all costs and don't forsee me associating myself with anyone who has this on any frequent basis. If I see a friend with this I will be sure to QUICKLY provide something better.

Really, I much prefer budweiser, and probably also Busch if it is in those cool camo cans. Actually YES busch could have been the rough undertone.. there was definitely a hint of Busch.

Finally, the beer does the same thing to your stomach as budweiser. Basically a rolling squeaky loud digestion process for a whole day. I only had 5.

willPS21, Dec 05, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +23.1%

A: Cloudy and pale straw colored. Looks like a standard witbier. White head that sticks around for a while.

S: It was served with a slice of orange at the bar, like most beers of this style, so that was the dominant scent. Other than that, there is just a sweet, bready smell.

T: Pretty standard. Some citrus and some warm wheat and slight bitterness. It's kind of on the bland side, but it's meant for easy drinking, I think.

M: Heavy with fine carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

D: Pretty good. You could drink a number of these before you realize that the alcohol has creeped in on you.

It's hard to balance the score for this review since I like a number of witbiers more that this one. I'm a fan of the style, but this beer is just a slightly above average example of it.

Jemonster, Nov 30, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +23.7%

I'll agree with most of the other reviewers here- this is definitely one of the more "orange-heavy" whites I've tried. Great beer to have on a night out with friends at an unfamiliar bar.

This beer is what originally got me into to craft beers and the belgian white style. Unfortunately there is nothing else truly spectacular about it... For a Coors product though , I'd say this is a step above the rest.

Arkofsax, Nov 29, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +19.7%

When pouring this beer it is an orangish yellow in color with a thin white head with very little retention and not much lacing. It has little carbonation in it and the smell is of a citrus and wheat aroma while the taste has some wheat with a strong citrus taste that blends pretty well with the wheat and hops in it. The body is a medium feel that is smooth and very drinkable. I will admit that to me this is one of the better tasting belgian white wheat beers.

DannyDan, Nov 28, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -21%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a cloudy light yellow color with about an inch of white head that relatively low retention and lace.

The aroma was very soft and subdued, none of the usual fruit and spice aromas of one of my favorite styles was apparent. On the tongue the story was the same, no wheat, orange or corriander came through.

The body was nicely smooth and pretty typical for the style. Drinkability was good, but lost some points because the was so bland, why would you drink more than one? Overall, this may make a good "training wheel" beer for the non-craft drinker. Get 'em started with this and then they can expand their horizons.

beertunes, Nov 28, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -4.1%

I have had this a couple of times before, since it is one of the few wheat beers that you find. It is truly the most "orange" beer I have seen, befitting it's name.

It has a very fruity smell, but not so strong that you forget you are drinking a beer. The taste is a little below average for a wheat beer, as there is little evidence of wheat and/or yeast, so no need for an orange/lemon slice.

Not much a feel in the mouth, but tastes OK. If I'm in the mood for a wheat beer and it's available I'll have it, but there aren't many wheat beers that I would reach past to grab one.

SmokinSmyth, Nov 24, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured into a pint size drinking glass.

Appearance is orange/dark yellow.

Smell is fruit, mainly orange with some zest.

Taste is also orange, in fact, a bit too orange for me.

Mouthfeel: Nothing real significant, semi-smooth if anything.

Drinkability: Not something I'd look forward to drinking on a regular basis.

UHRedCat, Nov 23, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -22%

Poured into a heffe glass at 38 degrees.

Appearance: A frothy one finger head that foamy with okay retention. The color of the beer is cloudy, light yellow, and hues of straw. There is some carbonation bubbles in the glass. The head did not leave much lacing.

Nose: A strong wheat and citrus aroma, with a solvent aroma that is off putting. There are notes of floral, pine and grapefruits.

Taste: A slight cloying solvent taste with a bland citrus and wheat flavor. There are subtle notes of grapefruit, oranges, malt, yeast, and floral.

The mouth feel is coating with some carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: The body of the beer is light and the finish is medium light. Since I got that solvent taste in the beer it was off putting and I really did not want to finish it. Maybe I got a bad batch but it is what it is.

colts9016, Nov 22, 2010