Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
2.7/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A - The beer pours a cloudy golden color with a moderately thick white head. The head retention isn't all that great for a witbier but it's acceptable.

S - The aroma is a bready yeast smell with a faint amount of peppery spices. None of the orange peel, lemon peel or coriander that one expects from a witbier.

T/M - Light, crisp, and almost spritzer like in its carbonation. The initial flavor is a little sweet. There are flavors of wheat, a very faint hint of bitter orange peel, and a very subdued earthy and peppery spice flavor. The earthiness follows through to the end but it has grainy finish, that I suspect comes from the wheat. It has the tiniest hints of what a witbier should have, but the overall flavor is a bit too grainy and leaves an aftertaste that is not enjoyable at all.

D - This beer is ok. It has many characteristics that would be great on a hot day after mowing the grass. However, the beer could be much more flavorful, memorable and refreshing, if it had more of the traditional citrusy and spicy witbier characteristics.

SuperSpy, Mar 01, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +17.3%

Tasted from a Pilsner glass, which surprised me, but that's what their website recommends.

A - Golden yellow and cloudy like any other witbier. About an inch of head that dissipated to about a finger thick.

S - Strong hits of orange and wheat/yeast. I imagine that is what they are going for since both are depicting on the bottle. The aroma is not as strong as most witbier's usually are.

T - Slight orange taste with some wheat. Sweet and bready as well, but dull relative to other witbiers.

M - Crisp and carbonated. Very light body.

D- Very drinkable, especially on a summer day. I could easily kick back a few of these and be off to a nice evening.

JohnnyS17, Mar 01, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at Sunday River in Maine. Figured it was a good time to try this as the tap list was a little weak. A 1/4 inch of head fades immediately. Cloudy straw/light amber color.

Aroma was actually unpleasant. The wheat/yeast aroma was a little like a stinky cheese. The beer clearly isn't bad and tasted fine. Just not a fan of the aroma.

Pretty darn fruity with a nice wheat bready flavor. Reminds me of children's aspirin with the slightly artificial orange flavor. But I like that taste so that's not all that bad. Slight bitterness lingers at the end.

Very effervescent carbonation and mouth feel. Very light body.

Truth be told, not bad. Just not very complex. I could drink 4 of these like water. Drinkable - yes... Exciting... No

Reagan1984, Feb 24, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -3.1%

Draught into pint glass in high altitude Denver, CO, at a bar called Swingers, in December 2010. (I'm drinking it in the proper season, I suppose).

A: Blonde-orange colour. Hazy. Thin head of poor retention.

Sm: Orange, barley, citrus. Nice for what it is, and much better than Blue Moon.

T: Coarse open to body of light citrus and clean barley. Finish is inconclusive, inviting another sip.

Mf: Surprisingly coarse for the style. Coarse at the climax.

Dr: I'd have it again at this price, especially if I was just drinking casually. Don't serve it with an orange in it, lads. A beer is meant to be experienced as it is created. I have to admit, my expectations were low, but this may be the best AB brewed beer I've had (because that statement is saying a lot...psh).

kojevergas, Feb 24, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this Belgian White at Carmody's in Ellisville, MO. Served into a pilsner glass and also an orange slice on the edge.

Appearance- Orange and cloudy with a 1/4 finger of head.

Smell- A great amount of wheat and an orange, citrus (and not from the orange on the rim of the glass).

Taste- Wheat taste with sour added in. Not sure what ingredient makes this taste but I came out with this observation after many times of having this beer.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied with almost no carbonation. Nothing sparked my taste buds except for the orange after effects, but it was because of the fruit inside.

Drinkability- It is an average beer to drink but only enjoyed one today. Some days are better than others as far as freshness with this beer. Always ask for an orange with it to finish the last 6-8 ounces after reviewing.

DCon, Feb 14, 2011
3.4/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours to a frothy white head with fine bubbles and a cloudy gold color. Aroma is a pleasant mix of orange, spice (peppery, lemony coriander no doubt) and wheat. Flavor is on the weak side but acceptable for style: orange notes with coriander finish, nice creamy wheat flavor and residual sweetness to offset the spice and citrus. Good mouthfeel and an overall decent offering from AB.

EagleTalon, Feb 11, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +37.8%

Anheuser-Busch's answer to Blue Moon. The problem with reviewing this beer is that I found myself constantly comparing it to BM, because they are so close in nature. However, this beer presently surprised me. It has a nice touch of sweetness, but not too much - which makes it well balanced. Maybe a hint of bitterness would make it an even better choice, but then again, it is a Anheuser-Busch brew. The color is very nice - a pale orange that reminds you of the summer months. It smells exactly like a Blue Moon, but it has a distinct difference in taste.

Overall, like some others have said, if I had the choice between the usual American brews at a bar/restaurant and this one, and no other micro-brews were available, this would be my choice.

scottmbolt, Feb 11, 2011
3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

I picked this bottle up at the Jacksonville Budweiser Brewery yesterday. No date, but I was told it's less than a week old. Poured into a chilled pilsner glass.

A - Pale orange/gold and quite cloudy, as you'd expect for the style. Nice foam - about a half to three quarters of an inch - very white, long lasting with good lace.

S - Very nice aroma. At face value, it is a very pleasant, clean, and citrusy. Some orange, but not nearly as much as I was expecting. Some wheat malt present, and unidentified spices (coriander maybe?) Very slight classic American hops aroma.

T - I was pleasantly surprised by the first taste impression. Less citrus/orange than expected, more wheat malt and those unidentified spices, but a nice, light tartness. A bit sweet. It was not what I expected, but I enjoyed it. I don't care for the complete lack of bitterness, though. Some noble hops, not at all assertive, but that's not out of the norm. But then, this is not a typical witbier - sort of a witbier for the masses.

M - Medium bodied, light carbonation. Good. This is a decent, if not a great beer.

D - This is a drinkable beer, though not a great example of a witbier if you are a fan of the style. Personally, I'd like a little more tartness, and a lot more hops. I will buy it again, because the flavor/price ratio is very good, and if I want to put some beers out for friends, this is a good one to have in the cooler.

G2Brew, Feb 07, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Orange honey like cloudy appearance. Poured into a weizen glass and developed an inch head of bright white fine foam that dissipated in about two minutes.

S: Some spices, not sure what, with a suddle hint of orange.

T: Has a bitter start with a tangy middle and sour aftertaste. A hint of orange, not much considering theres an orange on the label. Nothing jumps out at me with this one.

M: Sorta watery, medium carbonation., bittery dry feel.

D: drain beer. Not impressed

beerlove82, Feb 05, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -13.9%

A: typical cloudy golden color with a fluffy head. not bad

S: very citrusy aroma. tons of orange peel with notes of grain (oats) and a hint of spiciness. not appealing at all for a wit. too much citrus.

T: again, very citrusy. too much damn citrus. lack of balance. malt is there but not complex and spices were an afterthought. booo!

M&D: ok mouthfeel; decent drinkability thanks to the watery flavor.

Not as awful as i thought but it still sucks. I'll take a Hoegaarden, Harpoon UFO White or even a Blue Moon before this. Thank god it was a gift.

tzieser, Feb 02, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

As far as American versions of Belgian beer go I think I may prefer Blue Moon to this one. That being said this one is not bad considering the words "Anheuser-Busch" appear on the label. I wouldn't rush out to get this one again but if it were a choice between Coors Lite, Budweiser, or Heineken at a restaurant I would lean toward this one.

I was surprised by how foamy it was. The foam more closely resembled latte foam than any beer I've ever had. It had the characteristic opaque visual of an unfiltered beer. At first I thought this was a trick of the light because I didn't think Michelob did that sort of thing. But, apparently, it is unfiltered.

The world is changing.

chefelf, Jan 24, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +51.4%

Had in a bottle

A: This beer has a cloudy pale golden color with a 1" head that laces the glass

S: This beer has a nice wheat and citrus smell

T: You can taste the Orange and coriander in this beer

M: This beer goes down real smooth

D: This is a witbier that I will drink again.

MikeRa, Jan 19, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +21.8%

Served in a glass.

A: Pours a very cloudy pale gold in color with a very stubborn white, thick head. Leaves noticeable lacing. Looks very appealing/enticing.

S: Wheat, citrus and spices. Smells pleasantly clean & flesh.

T: Same as smell. Citrus stands out although the flavors blend together well. Can definitely make out the coriander also.

M: Medium-bodied, perhaps a bit coarse. No carbonation or burn, as a previous reviewer said. Feels great.

D: Drinkability is high in terms of it not being too strong or off-putting and also the fact that the flavor is pleasant enough.

Fits the style well, not much else to say. I've had it on tap too and I think it was better on tap. Quite surprising for an A-B beer considering it's actually good. Give it a try.

echoes, Jan 16, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -10.5%

on tap at hooters a week ago, i just ordered it really for the sake of having a beer, served in a frosted mug, ehh.

pour is very light with a touch of hazy that clear quick and a cap of white foam that did not stick around long either. aroma is light citrus, loads of grain and a touch of grass. not what i was looking for and not in a good way at all. light peach flavor out of no where then whisked away with the fake orange flavor again and the over the top artifical flavoring. light body was hardly even there and overall i was just soo underwhelmed i dont know where to begin.

not again, i will not do this to myself again.

mikesgroove, Jan 11, 2011
3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Head started off good at two fingers, but didn't last long. No lace. Color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart and the beer is quite hazy. Smell of honey, malt and citrus. Taste is sort of bland, some wheat and malt taste, a little bit of spice come in after the initial flavor is gone. Has a mellow mouthfeel, not enough to call creamy, but better than water. I would not go out and buy this to drink, but I would not turn it down if it was in a selection to drink at a party.

beerprovedwright, Jan 08, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Pale orange but it looks pretty decent overall.

S: Citrus. Both lemon, orange, and some hops as well.

T: Citrus (lemons/Orange) and not much else.

M: Not dry, little carbonation. Pretty good.

Drinkability: I find it OK. Something that I wouldn't turn away

Overall: It's a beer targeted to the masses and for what I think Michelob is trying to accomplish they did a good job.

JT2875, Jan 08, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +24.1%

Shock Top is another deceivingly American beer. Seems foreign, but it's nothing special, just another Bud product. It's really good for a cheaper beer, and it has a crisp wheat taste. Worth a try, but it get's a little boring and it's not a beer you can have a full six pack of in one sitting

VietPong, Jan 05, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +35.4%

I had seen this beer a few times before, but tried it for the first time yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Very crisp refreshing taste with little to no aftertaste. Seems like this would be a great summertime beer. I'll definitely be looking for it in a few months.

richkrull, Jan 03, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Minimal head with next to nothing head as it goes down. Cloudy with scant hint of carbonation.

Nice citrus smell.

Almost sweet fruity taste with a hint of light grain.

Nothing overwhelming but leaves modest dry feel.

Feel this would be adequate for summertime consumption. Not my fave but would definately have more if given a choice of any other AB products.

Hopalong29, Dec 26, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

Poured a nice cloudy amber like I think a wheat beer should. but what do I know?

Very citrus smells....orange....lemon.

Small head which went away quickly. little lacing.

carbonation was about average.

The taste goes easy on you...still a little more in your face than Blue Moon. The orange taste over powers anything else.

It is better than some of the craft Belgian whites I have had. and I don't find it as bad as some of these other reviewers do. but what do I know?

I favor it over Blue Moon because it costs a good deal less. :-)

burgerandbeer, Dec 21, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

#2. This is a commonly available beer found at most grocers. I have found Witbiers fairly easy to consume in the past and most fairly enjoyable. I have never tried Shock Top before. The neck of the bottle has instructions on how to pour my beer into the glass, informing me that I should roll my bottle back and forth to mix what is left after pouring half of my beer out. I assume that this is to get the full experience of orange pulpiness resin that may be caked on the inside of the bottle. The beer is manufactured by Michelob, of Anheuser-Busch.

Poured a 12oz bottle to a standard room temperature pint glass.

(Appearance) Beer pours a light gold and a very thin head is gone within a very short time leaving a nearly clear surface with no lacing. Despite having no areas of high flavor concentration, the beer is quite cloudy and appears thick and unstrained as Weissbeirs often are. Regardless, it does not look enticing. 2.5

(Smell) Even after swooshing, I can only detect a faint citrusy odor meshed with the wheat but not much else is discernible. It is frankly disappointing, and one of the worst characteristics I can find about this beer. 2

(Taste) Beer is very light and has very little hoppy flavor and almost no aftertaste aside from a mild flat tang that drags on for some time. It is smooth and a very easy drinker. The most dominating flavor in this beer is wheat, wheat and more wheat. It's not very exciting. Whatever spices and extra flavor that might have been used for the brew are hard to determine exempting a mild zest tastes that I gather at the end of each sip, which is reminiscent of dragging one's teeth across a citrus peel. It is neither pleasant nor disgusting. It has a distinct Macro-brew taste that will either make or break a beer's quality and reputation. 3

(Mouthfeel) Beer has moderate carbonation but foams a good deal at the back of my tongue. It is not dry but rather has a mild crispness to it that may originate from the citrus. It is somewhat sticky and not enjoyable to hold within the mouth for more than a short time. 2.5

(Drinkability) This is far from the worst beer I have ever had but it is far from the best as well. I praise it for being easy to drink. If I had no other choices, I could consume a few but wouldn't have a second otherwise. I didn't have to push myself to finish this beer but didn't fully enjoy it like I hoped I might. 3.5

Verdict: This beer is a fair buy for some, but I've had better Weissbier and I found the flavor to be severely lacking, which amongst other minor issues (Taste and flavor based, mainly) does not draw me back to invest in any more of this brand, at least on my dime. However, for those who like Weissbiers or anything wheat-heavy, you might get some cheap thrills from this one. C- (2.7)

Jadjunk, Dec 20, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours out to a hazy goldenrod with a small head that subsides quickly.

Smell is faint citrus, quite nice.

Taste is also citrusy with a bit of grapefruit flavor. Finishes very clean with very little in the way of hops.

Mouthfeel is where it takes a dive here. It feels really watery and doesn't hold much substance. However, drinkability is still good. Fairly light for a beer of this type.

Boneheadmx, Dec 18, 2010
1.85/5  rDev -37.1%

More transparent than expected; golden hue, thin white head, thin retention, spotty lacing. Very slight lemon in the nose, but underwhelming overall. Ditto the flavor; thin lemon'ish taste. All-around, very thin feel, and overly-carbonated. If you don't put a slice of orange in this, it's a modest step up from a water with lemon.

donniecuffs, Dec 18, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Had on tap the other night.

A- Pours a pale golden orange color. Two figner white head shows rather poor retention for how much head there was. Streaks of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Looks rather dull overall.

S- The aroma was rather muted on the nose. Some light bready malts with a hint of citrus aroma. Not much of anything else with maybe a hint of spicing. Other than that...nothing..nothing at all.

T- Citrus flavors in the front of the beer. There is a little bit of wheat in the middle of the beer but really nothing else at all except for a hint of spicing. It has flavor but at the same time is a little bland.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is heavy for the style which was a total buzzkill for me. Light citrus and wheat tones left on the palate. Citrus and alcohol left in the aftertaste. Flavors were muted and a bit watery. Crisp and clean tasting overall. Light drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- To be honest you can and I did drink a lot of this. The ABV is low enough and the flavor is light that makes this a easy drinker. I praise AB for trying to break into the belgian white profile but lets bump up the flavor guys!

alleykatking, Dec 15, 2010

Something about this beer just didn't seem quite right when I had this at the pub the other night. All aspects of this beer seemed off. The murky/muddy look of it through the glass was a turnoff. The taste was odd and despite not being very flavorful, it was a hard drinker. I'm guess not a big fan of Belgian Whites (Shock Top and Blue Moon as my only 2 reference points).

bubseymour, Dec 12, 2010