Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

Served in a shaker pint glass with an orange slice at Finn McCool's.

It may not be the Beer of the Month anymore at Finn's, but I wanted one anyway. I don't know why either. It pours a hazy pale straw topped by a half-finger of white micro-foam. The nose comprises light orange zest, light lemon peel, and what seems to be coriander. I'll be honest, though, I'm not sure how much of this smell is from the orange slice (I didn't ask for it, by the way) and how much is from the beer. The taste holds very light orange zest, cardamom, orange peel, and some light flowers. The body is quite light, with an active carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a weak wit, not entirely bad, but not something I'd necessarily smile for while ordering.

TMoney2591, Sep 06, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -16.7%

Shock Top Belgian White | 350 ml. | 5.2% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Style: Witbier
Glass: Stange (I think)

Appearance:
Very pale golden wheat color, with a decent white head.

Aroma:
Wheat malt, orange, coriander. Smells processed and old though.

Taste:
Pale malts, tangy sweetness, stale orange juice. Again, very processed taste.

Mouthfeel:
Light and crisp.

Harmony:
Way to "manufactured" for my tastes. I guess that's what you get with BMC

Would I get it again?:
Nope

BeerNemesis, Aug 26, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a nothing beer. Its not anything special, no special flavors, or strong hints that makes this beer standout to me. I bought a six pack just to enjoy on a hot summer day, and it was good for that. It was a cloudy beer and although some people say a hint of orange, I added a extra slice of orange.

WwRGSwW, Aug 26, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +35.4%

As the bottle shows, This is a summer beer. Taste good on a hot day or a warm summer night. While its got a good drinkability it does fill you up eventually. Not like other beers than make you have the "munchies" This is a good relaxing beer not really a party beer in my opinon. Has the great wheat taste with hints of orange. Beer is cloudy tho which is normal of most wheat beers ive had.

Cummins9110, Aug 24, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -2%

Poured into wheat glass. Let's skip all the jargon. We all realize that this is not a craft beer, its from Michelob. If you were expecting something life-changing think again. The truth is that this ain't that bad. I won't be dreaming about it or drawing hearts around its name on a napkin or anything but I can drink it.

It is available just about anywhere so if you can't find your favorite grab one of these.

Tunafever73, Aug 24, 2010
3.28/5  rDev +11.6%

12 oz. brown bottle.

A: Pours a cloudy yellow, with a slight orange tint to it. Plenty of carbonation fills the glass. head is thin and white. leaves little to no lacing.

S: Smells of wheat (Strong). watery orange also. kind of tangy.

T/M: A little like the smell as it is very much a wheat beer and it's on the watery side. Has a high carbonation feel. A little sour, but nothing to make me hate the beer.

D: Pretty good drinkability as it's easy going down and actually has some good wheat taste going on. Pretty average still. Better than I expected.

Cheers!

mnrider, Aug 23, 2010
2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

Not a bad beer, was surprised to see that it was made by AB, it's better than their other beers I've had. I could not really taste the citrus or other spices in it. It's taste reminded me of a light beer. While it's not a memorable beer and I won't buy it again I would drink it again if offered.

ccadenhead, Aug 22, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -59.2%

It looked like beer. It had some words on the label that implied that it was of a variety that I might like. Alas, the flavor was dilute, it had a a hint of artificial citrus flavor, and weak malt extract flavor. The composite flavors held together, but they didn't amount to much.

UpNorthLager, Aug 21, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Had a couple of these at a friends house, which were left-overs from a party. Overall, I was put off by the very artifical aroma and taste of the oranges and spices (I don't want to think about what chemicals are in here), but when I drink it, it goes down very smooth and refreshing. In fact, after a night of 'sessioning' some higher ABV brews, this was a welcome drink at the very end. Basically this is AB's response to Blue Moon, I can see this going over well with the non-craft crowd who think they're trying a 'craft' beer. I can't really say anything else bad about this because I did enjoy it, but I definitely wouldn't buy this personally. I'd rather just have a regular Budweiser or something that I feel isn't as artifically made. At least I got a couple of pry-off bottles for my homebrew out of the deal.

Prostman81, Aug 18, 2010

Shock Top is not bad for an Anheuser Busch product, but definitely not a beer that compares very favorably to the better craft examples. However, it has a terrible label design and that alone would discourage me from buying that beer. Overall, I would say that's it is average.

The beer is a hazy bright, almost artificial yellow-orange. The witbier smells mostly of orange, cinnamon and clove. The taste is dominated by the sweet citrus and yeast spice with a bit of wheat present. The carbonation is rough, a bit on the low side and prickly on the tongue. The beer is thin and the finish is a bit on the sweet side. Not a terribly interesting or complex beer (i.e. not really "Belgian") but drinkable and refreshing on the beach.

Soonami, Aug 15, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

Had this at Big Daddy's in CC TX
Served in a regular pint glass
I had two pints, one without an orange and the second with.

It poured a hazy, almost opaque orange yellow with an off white head which settled to a very thin lacing then nothing at all.

The aroma was not very strong, but it had an orange peel smell mixed with a very weak hefeweizen.

T: It tasted like a mellow lager was used as the template on which wheat and orange flavoring was added. The wheat profile was not very strong.

It had drinkability, I'll give it that. It was very smooth and had a nice non-aggressive carbonation.

To me this tasted like an orange flavored lager with a little bit of wheat thrown in. I can't knock this too much because it was sort of refreshing in the hot humid air of Corpus Christi TX.

If I was at a bar which served predominantly BMC products, I would easily go for this one. I didn't find anything offensive about this beer because: it was cheap, worth the price, and I was not expecting much anyway.

Note: on my second pint I asked for an orange slice. I say, "If you want to throw an entire orange in it then do it!" Normally I don't like fruit in my beer but there was nothing sacred about this one so what the hell, orange slice it is.

LacquerHead, Aug 15, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Hazy, cloudy golden with ever so slightly amber highlights. Foam rises fast and falls quick leaving very little lacing.

S: Citrusy generic Wit. Strong, but non-descript citrus with noticeable coriander. Wheat beer base is a bit spicy but stays in the background.

T: In the palate the citrus is distinctly orangey. Generic lemony coriander follows behind on a spicy broad but shallow wheat beer base. Just barely notice balancing hops.

M: Carbonation at upper end for style with a medium body.

D: Pretty decent take on the style. A bit mild and thinly stereotyped, but refreshing nonetheless. Better than than Bud Light. Much better.

SickGnar, Aug 08, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +16.7%

S-bottle
A-pretty cloudy some what Orange colored with very little head to it and didn't last long
S-smells pretty decent sort of a citrus smell
T- taste was good but I don't think I could drink very many of them I think i would get tired of it
M- very watery feeling not too thick
D-drinkability is pretty easy to drink

hworking, Aug 07, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +18.4%

On draught at my resort bar in Orlando. It was a hot day, and a wit seemed like the appropriate choice.

Poured a light opaque orange, served with a slice of orange for a garnish. Thin head, didn't survive long, but I'll chock that up to the citric acid.

Nose is, well, orange. Orange rind and light wheat malt.

Not much to it, reminds me a great deal of Rickard's White/Blue Moon. Pretty one- dimentional flavor (orange rind), but it tastes pretty decent and goes down well. Alcoholic orange soda.

Lighter carbonation, oily, orange-juice mouthfeel (again, the orange piece probably helped).

Not one I'll search out again, but I'll never turn it down. There's something about these macro orange witbiers that just tastes like summer to me.

JohnnyBarman, Aug 07, 2010
3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Served a hazy golden color with a small head that faded quickly.

S: Citrus aroma with a hint of sweetness.

T: Light citrus taste that is clean and refreshing. Slightly bitter finish.

F: Light body that is smooth and goes down easy.

D: Decent beer, much better than I expected from AB. Seems to go best with food.

soju6, Aug 06, 2010
3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

On tap at Applebees because there was nothing better to drink... Applebees' beer selection sucks. I drank one with the orange and one without. If you use the orange it will basically dominate the flavor/smell. Review is from beer without the orange.

A: Average sized head and lacing. I like the orange color and hazy appearance.

S: The beer smells very sweet and malty. Thats it.

T/M: Tastes sweet and obviously fruity Upon inspection, a slight bitterness is noticed. The beer actually feels a bit light in the mouth, but the carbonation is nice. The beer is smooth which complements the sweetness.

D: Not the best beer by any means. Normally not a "fruit in beer" person, but I think I'd take the orange in this case as it makes up for a lack of flavor.

EwaldEichstaett, Aug 05, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

a- bottle poured into a weizen, full two fingers worth of head, watered down apple juice colored, hazy, head fades quickly leaving some lace.

s- wheat-very light, citrus, tart orange, bit of lemon, pepper, some grain with a bit of sweetness.

t- lacking in flavor, slight yeast and wheat, bits of citrus peek through then run back into the muddled mess of flavors, the finish is almost skunky tasting.

m- medium, creamy.

d- ok, it's drinkable, just not much flavor here, and i would rather drink many other different beers before i would drink this again.

thecarster1, Aug 03, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a cloudy pale golden/orangey color. Head slowly dissipates and leaves a film on top. Has the traditional clove and banana smells of a wheat beer. tastes wheatey with a little bit of citrusey orange. Overall this is a nice beer to drink, it surely isn't perfect, but its refreshing. Even though I am not a big fan of AB, I think this is a reasonable beer.

gkunkle, Jul 25, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

about 40 degree F into a pint glass
A- hazy gull gold with rapidly disappearing head.

S- citrus and corn.

T- faint citrus Not too complex, can't detect anything else

M- weak and watery

D- unimpressive. Reminds me of a slightly improved version of Bud or Miller GD

aahynick, Jul 24, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance - A very nice orange hued beer. Some light sediment from fermentation, but a very clear orange brew.

Smell - The smell has an immediate smell of citrus...definetly orange. There is a subtle hint of cloves and maybe coriander. Very pleasant smelling in my opinion.

Taste - the taste is similar to blue moon. You definetly get the bitterness of the citrus flavors. The aromas of the spices used in fermentation linger in your mouth after swallowing.

Mouthfeel - It is a very light brew to drink. Inmy opinion the carbonation was a bit too much, but tolerable.

Drinkability - I think this is a great brew for hot summer days and cookouts. A decent beer overall.

bigbodybussey, Jul 23, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +31%

A good beer for the price- cheaper than Blue Moon and almost as good. Great summer brew, not sure I'd go for it in the winter as I like darker beers in the winter months here in Connecticut. I get a sixer of this at least once a month during the Summer and Fall. Nice citrusy taste. Michelob did a good job here!

connguy, Jul 14, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +25.9%

Was tired of having same old beer selection at local eatery, so I gave this a try. I am a newbie at exploring my beer tasting palate past the popular brands or should I say "common" choices.

I was pleasantly surprised at the inviting aroma this beer had, good balance of spices and citrus. Though I wasn't blown away with its taste I would recommend it as a good buy for a chain restaurant option.

DrRosenscrotum, Jul 12, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +32.7%

This is Blue Moon's baby brother in my opinion.

A: Very clear orange with a nice head.

S: Citrus and spice.

T: Very light and tastes like watered down orange juice.

M: Crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation.

D: Its very decent. If you cant find blue moon or are just a cheap ass and dont wanna pay the extra dough for blue moon then this is good. Nice dinner beer if I may say.

GNR4life2, Jul 09, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into pilsner glass.
Pale yellow in color with a small film of head and alot of bubbles. Smells of clove and a little banana. Tastes ok at first with alot of spice and banana flavor up front but falls flat quickly leaving the mouth with an empty feeling. Also, I noticed the flavors get less and less noticeable as you approach the bottom of the glass. Very fluid mouthfeel with very little body. Not a great example of the style. Refreshing brew that achieves it's goal of appealing to the masses but thats about it.

JunkYardJake, Jul 07, 2010

pours a murky off yellow color with a small head and some ok retention with a smallish ring..smell is of clove and fruit some spice but its faint..tatse is the same it has a Belgian look to it but the flavors are so thin and faint..its like they tried to make a great brew but just did not put enough ingredients into it..thin mouth feel as well ..not a solid attempt of the style and unflavorful

gatornation, Jul 06, 2010