Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +37.3%

Appearance- cloudy and murky as can be with low carbonation, golden orange to yellow in color

Smell- slight wheat, with a lot of citrus tones manly a lot of orange, very fruit forward smell

Taste- pretty good mix of a wheat beer with orange fruit flavor, like this one a bit more then i think i did the first time i had it, I think what i appreciate the most about the flavor of this one is that it doesnt go to overboard in anyone aspect, the wheat isnt over powering and neither is the orange though is definitely very present, a good refreshing finish,

Mouthfeel- Light crisp and refreshing body with little to moderate carbonation

Drinkabilty- Like this one alot more then i remembered or thought I actually would, for someone whos not always a huge fan of these styles this is actually a pretty good beer of the style, a nice beer for a nice warm summer nite, a little sweet but still one i could picture as an ocassional sessioner

Stunner97, Apr 27, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +20.3%

Small to no head, no retention. Unfiltered, cloudy, looks a bit like grapefruit juice.

Beer was a bit cold, so only smells were wheat and coriander.

Very citrusy mouthfeel. (Even after the beer warmed up, I can't smell the citrus). Like most wheat beers, there is a sweetness and smoothness in the taste, and this is no exception.

I started to pick up citrus overtones in the taste, but still don't smell any.

The finish is smooth like the taste. It's slightly sweet, but no too much so, and there is only a presence of hoppy bitter.

I could easily drink several of these on a warm night. A better beer from Michelob.

RickS95, Apr 27, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +21.4%

A decent Belgian Whitbier considering it's made by the largest brewery in the world.

A - Cloudy orange/ yellow with a 1 - finger tall head. The head fades away to nothing after a few seconds.

S - Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

T - Some hints of citrus, oranges, very light, almost like weak orange soda.

M - A good amount of carbonation, very crisp.

D - Very light for a White. Very drinkable.

Beerislife652854, Apr 24, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +1%

Pours a cloudy amber with decent looking white head but not much retention. Smell: orange, lemony wheat tanginess, and...grainy Michelob pale malt character. Taste: lightly bready with vague sweet citrus and spice, very light, perhaps too light. Mouthfeel: light and fizzy. Ehh, in general I prefer my wheats of the weizen variety instead of wits, and AB certainly did wits no favors with this one.

babaracas, Apr 24, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -9.2%

At first I thought this beer would be pretty bad, as I typically don't like beers where odd spices are hyped up on the label. Coriander to me is an odd spice and is used in Indian Cuisine and not beer. However it is in the Belgian Wheat Styles.

Thought I'd give it a try, after a decent bike ride.

The pour is cloudy, but amberish yellow. The first taste I thought was crisp, and I could definetly taste the orange and fruits. By about the second and third sips, I started noticing the coriander, and once noticed - well then it stood out.

Did I like it? yeah I did, is it one I would try again? Hmmm don't know, but if I had the opportunity to grab a free one some place I'd probably jump at the chance.

BottleOfPills, Apr 23, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +43.1%

I've been trying a lot of witbiers, because I really enjoy the style, and even though this is an Anheuser-Busch product, I thought I'd give it a shot for the sake of completeness. And as a mass-marketed witbier, I figured it'd be at least palatable.

Let's discuss the label: An orange-wedge with a wheat mohawk wearing sunglasses. The packaging screams summer, even though it's available year round. I'm not sure the market they're after: either middleschoolers, or people who don't like beer and play too much minesweeper. I'm not rating the package, but this gets a D.

The pour is impressive, though. A cloudy, lemon juice yellow with a big, active, snowy head. The head fades fast to a thin layer, but that does stay around a while.

My initial thought was, "It smells like beer." However, on closer inspection, yeast, spice, and orange are present. The yeast isn't that funky, and it's actually a nice aroma. So far, I'm really surprised.

Now the moment of truth: A sip, and it's kind of delicious. Big orange character, and spice is playing all over.The yeast is minimal, the wheat provides a good backbone, and the mouthfeel--soft yet prickly carbonation with a medium body--is spot-on. Not the best tasting witbier I've ever had, but very appealling.

Coming from Anheuser-Busch, this is a hell of a beer; lots of points for "drinkability". At the very least, I'd have to say it holds it's own against Blue Moon and Hoegaarden, and I even find it preferable to several craft brews.

Credit where credit's deserved. Good brew, AB.

IMincedTheKing, Apr 22, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured this into a Bud Light pint glass in order to keep with the AB theme. Hazy orange appearance with a fluffy head that disappeared quite quickly. Typical Witbier scent, though somewhat muted. As for the taste, I think most give this no chance because it's from a macro trying their hand at a craft type beer. While there are most certainly many better witbiers, this one has its niche. The flavors are obviously toned down to please the masses. It's very drinkable and I'd certainly rather down a few of these during a round of golf over Bud Light.

alkemy, Apr 22, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Not much else was on the menu so I took a chance. Idiot waiter didn't say that Fat Tire and Sierra Nevada were also on tap or I wouldn't have ordered this. Came with a slice of orange. Bottom line - my wife liked this better than me so take that for what it is worth.

A - cloudy as it should be. No bugs floating is always a plus
S - Like a Wonder Bread factory
T - Almost none. At least it didn't detract from the food.
M - eh
D - Could I easily pound these all day? Yes. Would I like to? No. There are far better beers on the market to waste my time drinking this again.

bacabuck, Apr 18, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +12.9%

looks good. cloudy, orange/yellow, just what they were trying for im sure.

nice, spice and light floral/ citrus undertones.

I think it tastes great for a wheat beer. not a big fan , but this is right on par with blue moon.

crisp and clean the sour is battled by the sweet so perfectly that it has a cool nullifying effect.

yes this is "drinkable". I was afaid of this beer because I had heard bad things. Guess what? Dont believe everything that you hear, This was the saving grace of the sampler.

moosiz, Apr 15, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +3.4%

I had this one on tap at Cemenos in Joliet, IL on 4/10/09.

A= This beer poured a bright, cloudy, pastel orange with a 1/2" snow white head. The head maintained a short while, but eventually disappeared altogether. No lacing present.

S= Aromas of wheat malt dominated this beer, with some hints at orange peel and coriander around the edges.

T= This one started off with a big malty wheat-twang and carried that right through to the finish. The coriander came through much more than the orange peel did. Slight bit of yeastiness adding some fruitiness, but mostly just a wheat bomb with coriander. Aftertaste was not great.

MF= Medium bodied with a decently crisp carbonation. Good palate cleansing beer.

D= This beer is 97% the same as Blue Moon, and unfortunately for AB, that other 3% is not as good as Blue Moon. A bit too "wheaty" some how, and the aroma is just not perfumey enough for the style. Good enough to wash down pizza with but I wouldn't want to be sitting around drinking this by itself.

spointon, Apr 11, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Yet another mediocre craft beer wannabe from the folks at AB.

Shock Top pours a hazy darkish honey color with fair head retention and lacing. The beer doesn't look that bad, but once again looks can be deceiving. Initially I got almost nothing on the nose, but as the beer warmed up there was noticeable "wheatiness," coupled with sort of an odd mustard aroma. This beer's wheatiness was even more apparent on the palate, but as it warmed up a bit, I got a distinct alka seltzer flavor. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and drinkabilty was not good. There was a gasiness to this beer that was really pretty unpleasant, that really gave me a bloated feeling near the end of the glass (which ultimately I did not finish).

This is not an awful beer, but by the same token it's nothing special either. I don't know what it is about these "crafty" beers from BMC, but their poor quality always seems to show the more I drink of a particular beer. Needless to say, I will not ever be ordering this stuff again.

The folks at Yellow Dog included a slice of orange with this beer without my asking for it. Normally I find that annoying, but in this case I was glad for the slice of orange. It was much tastier then the beer and helped to clean my palate afterwards.

John_M, Apr 11, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +3.4%

A cloudy golden yellow color body with three or four fingers of fluffy white head.Aroma is
as promised,wheat ,oranges and lemon. Flavor is much the same with a moderate wheaty malt backbone,some citrus fruit(lemon&orange)and a hint of hoppy spice,medium carbonation,fruity aftertaste,quite sessionable. Overall not offensive but I drink A LOT of Oberon and this falls WAY short of that mark.

WakeandBake, Apr 11, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -20.3%

Tried this from a pitcher at the local Hooters.
In the jug it looked almost as orange as the server's shorts, with a fluffy white head (The beer) The server was a bottle blonde too !
Slight citrus aroma in the glass. The beer looks like a wheat should I guess: cloudy. As far as flavour goes it's not really my kind of beer. But for what it is I guess it's OK. One pint was enough - I switched to Yuengling.

ElGeordie, Apr 09, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +25.4%

Got this on tap at Outback. Decided to try it. I normally do not like a beer with a fruity taste, I'm a beer that taste like beer guy. Honestly it was good, had to have a second glass. Taste was smooth, went down well. Had that hint of fruit flavor but didn't overpower me. Would order again.

hooverw1, Apr 08, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -27.1%

Overrated but of course Im also not a big wit beer fan.

appearance: cloudy golden, with orangish tint, liek a witbier should be. Very cloudy

smell: tad of citrus smell

taste: not spicy, overwheling orange flavor

mouthfeel: super thick

drinkability: overall not good for peopel who like beer, but a great crossover beer from macros. Especially if they like Blue Moon.

CampusCrew, Apr 06, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Brew was a cloudy light yellow. A little sediment at the bottom of the bottle, but not much. Had about a half inch head that didnt last long. Minimal lacing at best. Had a slight lemon citrus smell. Also a little malt caught the nose. Tasted a little sweet and also had a lemon flavor. If not lemon, then definatly citrus. Just a slight bitter taste. Felt ok in the mouth. Carbonation was about right. I could drink a few of these, but I wouldnt want to make it a session beer. With the lemon flavor, I think that someone that drank wine coolers might enjoy this one.

youngleo, Apr 06, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from the tap into a platic cup.

The color was amber almost orange color with a fomay white head.

The smell was fruity but muted. Some orange and lemon.

The taste was fruity, some citrus flavor, orange, and some grapefruit feel. Some pepper taste to it as well as a malty hint in the background.

The review for this beer may have been better had the way I was presented this beer had beer better. Having any beer for the first time while it is in a platic cup is not the best way to tasts test so I will revise my review in the future.

Duhast500, Apr 06, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +30.5%

Stumbled upon this at a local gas station, so I didn't think I would be that impressed by it, especially since it says Michelob Brewing Co. on the top of the label. Poured a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A- Pours a very nice amber/orange color. Almost like a burnt orange color. The head went away pretty quickly, and there was little lacing.

S- Wheat, Orange, almost like a potpourri-esque essence to it

T- Sort of sweet, but not too much...Had a spicy fruity taste, like burnt orange peels mixed with cloves.

M- Sort of creamy, moderate carbonation, light and a bit slippery

D- I wouldn't mind drinking a few of these once in a while, not ultra drinkable, but drinkable to say the least. I would recommend this beer for someone getting their training wheels to graduate to micro brews, even though this one isn't....It is probably available in a wide variety of areas, so if you happen to see it, try it, it's worth it.

Overall, not a bad beer. Pretty good actually. Nothing to write home about, but decent enough to grab a six pack of this if you're looking for a cheaper beer with class (paid $8.79 a 6 pack).

BaerBeer, Apr 05, 2009
3.15/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Pours a hazy orange yellow - almost like orange juice mixed with Sprite. Even with the swirl-and-pour, a short head slithers back down into the brew within seconds.

S - Surprisingly, I got a good bit of hops in the scent, an extra citrusy blend, along with the expected whiffs of orange rind and coriander. Sadly, there was a noticeably boozy component to the scent, reminiscent of a lower-quality adjunct brew.

T - The booziness carried over into the taste as well. The first hit is of a solid witbier spiciness, followed by a little yeastiness and orange, and just the slightest hint of hops. The spiciness is one-dimensionally endemic, though, and the bite of alcohol is sticks around the longest in the mouth.

M - The feel is a little slick and rather thick for a witbier. There's not quite enough carbonation to properly clear, and the amount of yeast in suspension is discernible. Nonetheless, it still goes down very smooth.

D - Not a bad Witbier for a macrobrew, but definitely not my favorite out of the Michelob Wheat sampler pack. It'd be a great choice at a restaurant on a hot summer afternoon, though - if don't have Blue Moon.

I had it on tap a while ago (at Busch Gardens on a hot summer day, incidentally) and recall being much more impressed with it, so perhaps I just got a bad bottle.

jsimmons, Apr 04, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Cloudy burnt orange with a solid two fingers of head.

S - Some hints of yeast and Belgian style scent, not at all strong or all that memorable

T - A bit of zest, and a hint of fruit flavors, but very very watery flavor.

M - Very watery, it's unoffensive to the palate (in the same way....water tends to be). There is a very small bit of carbonation at the end, but that's all.

D - It has the same "drinkability" as we've come to love from Bud Light. If I was in a bind, craving a belgian and 100 miles away from a good one, this would do. Far better choices for $1-2 more.

mwa423, Apr 03, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +33.2%

Have found Shock Top to pour with a lovely 3-finger head in a pint sized Collins glass. Head does dissipate by the time volume is halved, but still a very pleasant drink overall. I like the malty-wheaty nuance, though I'd appreciate a touch more. Coriander spice could also deserve to back up just a bit more. Still, the overall orange and citrusy edge comes more from the rind, both for the esters of essential oil and also for the pithy bitterness. I don't understand the criticism that it is too fruity, as by "fruity" I associate that with tasting more of the sweet pulp of the orange fruit than the skin. I still find this has enough hops and pith bitterness to keep it from being too sweet though maybe it's not quite as balanced a beer as it could be.

Its a fun beer to serve due to "roll at the end" pour instructions, the opaque sunny color and the pleasant nose. For the kind of beer it is -- an A-B near-mainstream beer -- I think this delivers extremely well. Have found it generally is a far better compliment to American-Mex cooking than a Corona with lime. But watch out, with some foods it can manifest its bitter notes unpleasantly.

Quixotequest, Apr 02, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into Weizen Glass.

Pours a 2 finger head that settles after a few minutes. Leaves very little lace. Color is a hazy dark staw yellow.

Aroma is like fruit loops (2nd beer in a row to remind me of fruit loops, lucky me). Also has some citrus and orange aromas. Not to bad for an A-B product.

Taste is very similar. It is very fruity (mainly oranges). There is some zest and bready malts. A little alcohol shows throught here.

Mouthfeel is a little crisp, mainly cream/smooth and ends with a slightly sticky aftertaste.

Overall, there was way too much orange/fruity flavor going on here. I wouldn't want to buy this, because I know I could find a good hefe instead.

mothman, Mar 31, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +27.1%

This is a mild, easy drinking white, but still has alot of the characters you look for, just a little watered down. On the appearance front, the head dwindles fast but I love the color. It is a very pale/cloudy yellow. There is zero lacing. Taste is good, it is very drinkable. I like it.

flaminghomer, Mar 30, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured a cloudy yellow with practically no head and no lacing on glass. Unfortunately it came with and orange, so the smell was dominated by that. All I could smell was orange. And again the orange was in the beer, so the taste was very orangy and creamy with a tiny hop flavor and no bitterness. Honestly it did taste pretty good. I'm a big fan of orange creamsicles and this beer reminded me of that. Not bad, not a complex beer but tasty and very drinkable.

Kromes, Mar 29, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a nonic.

A- Pours with a hazy straw appearance. Pours with ~1 finger of white head, which fades quickly to a very thin cap. Minimal random lacing.

S- Wheat and lemon zest.

T- Moderately sweet citrus and wheat. Very subdued orange peel notes. Very feint spiciness. Bitterness is very low.

M- Moderately high carbonation. Fairly light bodied and moderately thin. Slight creaminess.

D- Decent. Decent, if unspectacular, all around, and a moderately low ABV%.

Future outlook: Well, this was decent for the style, but certainly nothing to jump up and grab you. Unlike their Hop Hound Wheat, this one might actually be worth trying....especially if you are paying 1/2 price.

DoctorDog, Mar 28, 2009