Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
1.2/5  rDev -59.2%

I tried shock top because I heard it was all the rave. Then I found it was made by Bud, strike one. I drank 5 of them and had to choke them down, it had a very strong orange taste to it which actually is sickening. Bud is trying to get into the micro brew market but they cant because they simply cannot amke a decent beer.

Surprisingly, even though I rated all of this a 3.o across the board, I would seek this beer out again due to how refreshing and smooth it was. They promote it to have a spice infuse with it but I could not taste it at all. That is my only true disappointment with this beer. It is infinitely better than a Blue Moon to me although the look is identical just as is the mouth feel. The difference is that A Blue Moon seemed to make me feel like I was drinking beer and giving me the feeling of a full stomach. Shock Top did not give me that full feeling even after a 6 pack. Being a Belgian White Ale, I was impressed but I wish it tasted a bit more like a beer and not a fruity wine.

3.19/5  rDev +8.5%

Got this witbier on draft in a pint glass. Shock-Top poured a hazy pale yellow color. It produced a night white head that had decent retention. There was a little lacing left behind. The aroma featured malted wheat and slight traces of cloves and orange peels. The taste of the beer is mostly comprised of a soft wheat, sweet malt, clove and orange. There is only a faint trace of hops at the finish. Shock top is light in body, its drinkability is high but its not much more then a lawn mower beer. It might be a good starter beer to introduce to a "Bud Light" drinker, but even at that I would suggest a Blue Moon or a Boulevard Wheat over shock top.

473ml can
5.2% ABV
I tried this beer on May 6, 2011 after purchasing at the Queen's Quaq LCBO outlet in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer pours a hazy yellow with a huge white cap that quickly dissipates. The aroma is citrus and yeast, the spice is non-existent. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. The flavour is sour, a little wheat, and a little spice, and sourness is NOT a citrus sour.

3.35/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured into a special, Sam Adams pint glass. Decent head, but dissipates very quickly. Cloudy and honey-colored, which is nice, but the cloudiness looks unnatural--almost like it's "fake" unfiltered.

Smells of wheat and citrus--simply and clean. Nice.

Tastes good; slightly bitter aftertaste, but a nice flavor. It's not great, but it's a 3 without doubt.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly good. It's crisp and refreshing, while simultaneously being creamy and full-bodied. Very nice.

Overall, this is a nice beer from AB. Its surprising mouthfeel is something entirely unexpected, and pleasantly so! I could be happy drinking this. It certainly rivals Blue Moon. Very nice!

3.73/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured into a pint glass. a small 1 finger head. poured a deep orange. looks thick and full.

Smells like spices, slightly fruity, and like a wheaty beer, which i guess fits the style.

Taste sort of fruity. Makes me think of an orange flavor. Tastes is very full and thick.

Feels very smooth going down. not to carbonated or anything. leaves a slight residue but doesn't taste bad.

Overall this is a pretty good beer. nothing exceptional but not a bad buy. I bought it because alot of my friends will compare wheat beers to this one and i had never tried it. I'm not disappointed.

2.99/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a hazy very pale yellow-orange color with a 1/2 inch white head that fades to a fizzy film on the top of the beer. No lacing whatsoever. Smell is of wheat, spices (coriander), and a surprisingly nice orange scent. Taste is of wheat up front, spices coming through in the middle, and the orange/citrus flavors coming in on the finish. This beer has a nice level of carbonation making for a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average witbier but good for coming from AB.

2.94/5  rDev 0%

473 mL can, slightly chilled and poured into a pilsner glass

Appearance- Pours a hazy yellowish colour with two fingers of fluffy white head, which very quickly dissipates to an average ring around the glass and a nice bubbly top as well, leaving minimal to no lacing throughout the glass till finish.

Smell- I’m not getting a whole lot in the aromas here, there are some faint yeast smells coming through which should be almost typical for a wit beer, there are also some funky citrus fruity smells coming from this one as well but it’s not really an orange smell, also a weird almost adjunct lager smell coming from this one which being made by AB explains that one.

Taste- Is almost exactly like the smells, there is really not a whole lot going on in this one, the funky citrusy fruit flavours take over right off the bat, and again still doesn’t really have any kind of orange taste to it? Lots of bready malts in the finish with a mild hint of the yeast and some very mild spice notes in there as well, and also finishes with that weird adjunct lager taste, which is even weirder seeing as this is a wit beer.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied with below average carbonation, and finishes rather dry on the palate.

Overall- I can see exactly why this beer as such an amazing rating, another quality offering from AB here, of course if you can’t read the sarcasm in that one then you have drank one too many shock tops already. This beer is almost absolute drainpour material, the only that that was somewhat promising was the look of it, it does look like a wit beer and goes completely downhill from there. The smells and the tastes are very muted and although getting both a citrusy fruit smell and taste it never really translated to anything orange to me. Would not pick this one up again and the only reason I did is because I never noticed it before at the lcbo and also neglected to notice that this was an AB beer until I got home.

3.5/5  rDev +19%

Layover at Dulles...in the Lufthansa Senator Lounge...and they have Beck's and Shock Top on tap. Started with the Shock Top...never had it before. The color is an unfiltered yellow with thin creamy head. The aroma is powered by citrus and subtle grain. The initial taste is an orange peel then turn a little tart. Certainly would compare this to Blue Moon. It is easy on the mouth and would be great on a warm day.

2.78/5  rDev -5.4%

The beer is light tan and hazy with virtually no head from my pour. The smell is faint, yeasty, slightly earthy, maybe a bit "off." The taste is rather weak/light--moderately sweet, slight citrus, light grain (wheat/oat). It's not terrible and for a macro beer, actually passable. Maybe a good beer to use to help friends transition to craft beer. I have a few bottles in my fridge that a friend left behind--maybe I'll eventually drink them all.

3.12/5  rDev +6.1%

So this Witbier pours out as a cloudy orange color. The head is deceit and leaves a surprisingly nice lacing. The smell of the beer has some wheat aromas and lots of citrus. The taste is citrusy also. The mouthfeel is decent, on the light side. Overall I'd never buy this beer for myself. I will drink it if it's free.

3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured into pint...

A: pours the color of pulp free orange juice. very hazy with a frothy white head. not bad.

S: tons of orange peel, orange juice, orange cake aromas. you gotta like orange. also, a very spicy and bready aroma.

T: sweet orange juice upfront, but not cloying. quickly becomes very spicy, more reminiscent of classic wheat beers, and has a chalky, bread dough and orange peel finish, along with a long spicy fade.

M: medium body, creamy upfront, finishing light and crispy. one of the better aspects of this brew

Overall, not a bad brew. I know many in the beeradvocate world would love to bash me for that last statement. Truth is, it's time to put the hatred for AB products behind. This beer is enjoyable, especially on these hot days of summer, and priced recession friendly. Also, it is easily attainable. Don't hate, give it a shot.

3.01/5  rDev +2.4%

I bought this thinking it was actually a craft beer, and then I read the fine-print...

So it pours a wonderfully peach-yellow with a thick white frothy head and lots of carbonation. Lookin good! This is where Anheuser-Busch's fantasy ends.

It smells really tinny, like a plain old lager with maybe a slight citrusy note.

Tastes like it smells, sort of metallic, grainy, definitely some corn in here, with a hint of orange. Just not appealing at all.

I respect Busch for trying to fit in with the craft beer scene, but I also disrespect them for trying to fool innocent beer-lovers with a neat little can with cool artwork that this could possibly be a decent Witbier!

2.51/5  rDev -14.6%

Cloudy pale golden colour, 2 fingers of fluffy white head, some lace left behind. Smell is of orange, spice, yeast though most of the orange scent is quite artificial tasting. Taste is of artificial orange, spice and yeast come through but very fake tasting. Thin mouthfeel, big carbonation, light to med weight body. Pass on this, not very good, bad example of the style, half got drank the other half saw the sink.

2.8/5  rDev -4.8%

IBU – 10
DATE – 5 June 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 oz bottle
GLASSWARE – Shock Top logoed Pilsner
APPEARANCE – Cloudy golden color, Pored with a thick foamy head that settled down to about ½ inch
AROMA- notes of citrus and coriander
TASTE – Very refreshing with a dominating orange presence and a little bit of a spice behind it
MOUTHFEEL – Good carbonation that stay with you even after the sip. Also a bit creamy as well.
CONCLUSION – A nice cheap summer beer. Very refreshing and would be great for sitting at the pool, lake or camping.
-JH-

2.16/5  rDev -26.5%

served a pitcher of this at saucy mommas in big bear. great food place, not so much with this beer tho.

A- cloudy orange and not complex color, nothing too interesting, decent head.

S- citrus and wheat. nothing fancy here..

T- Bland Hef with not anything making it worthwhile here either.

M- light and bubbly... maybe fit for someone who's never had a wheat beer.

O- not impressed.

3.18/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured this one from the bomber into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Cloudy orange with a wee creamy marshmellow colored head.

Smell: I smell almost nothing. WTF?

Taste: Very mellow flavor with equal amounts of both malt and bread notes, and the orange after taste works out quite well. Imagine a thin layer of sweet orange marmalade on an English muffin.

Mouthfeel: A very smooth, and medium bodied brew.

Overall: This is a great inexpensive summer time brew. I'm glad I tried the stuff.

3.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: nice yellow color not totally clear which is good for the kind, not to carbonated and the head is big but dissipates somehow fast not leaving a lot of traces behind.

S: average smell not to intense citrus aroma but the weath is present.

T: with the taste side is different, the citrus is present also little bananabanana can be sensed.

M: it is easy to drink not to bitter not to sweet, the ending is not very lasting and between dry and chewy.

2.25/5  rDev -23.5%

Bottle emptied into a shaker glass. Standard hazed straw witbier appearance with a small fizzle of soda-ish head.

Faint, must wheat with whiff of citrussy coriander seed. Little depth and quite watered down on the back end.

Obviously, another weak BMC attempt at brewing craft. Standard witbier flavors, but it's as if they mixed full strength beer with a portion of sparkling water.

2.56/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A: The beer pours a cloudy golden orange color with a short lived white head.

S: Most of the aroma is the orange peel in the beer. Sort of a vegetal aroma with lots of cooked grain and a hint of garbage. Light malt and wheat notes with a moderate sweetness.

T: Intensely lemony with a rather pronounced sourness/tartness to it. Mild malt and bread flavor which provides the bit of sweetness that exists. The sourness lingers on the tongue.

M: Medium in body with a moderate level of carbonation.

O: Not very enjoyable at all. I wouldn't want to have this again.

3.63/5  rDev +23.5%

On tap at a small WV brewpub. Served in a 20 short mug with an orange wedge. Color is a hazy straw-gold. Light with a few white bubbles, head is quick. Aromas are simple. Lemon, wheat, and straw. Flavor is delightfully tangy and fresh. Nice light malt and tart fruit. Slight sweet wheatiness on the finish, very refreshing and chuggable. Not my beer of choice, but given the choice of this or Landshark, I was very pleased with my beverage.

4.2/5  rDev +42.9%

I really enjoy this beer during the day at a BBQ or just hanging out outside. Its a great refreshing beer with that witbeer flavor to it. Very fruity and light mouthfeel, and easy to drink.

Much to my enjoyment, it doesn't give you that overwhelming fake fruit taste like budlight lime or miller chill does. I would much rather enjoy the calmer and more natural notes of orange in this beer than other Anheuser-Busch citrus infused beers.

2.05/5  rDev -30.3%

I'm getting pretty tired of wasting my money and alcoholic tolerance on beers with Belgian in the name that has absolutely nothing resembling a beer brewed in Belgium.

I found out why when I looked on this page and saw this was an AB beer and I'm sure that has something to do with it, bit more and more I am finding even the smaller breweries putting "Belgium" labels on swill.

The beer is cloudy wheat with a funky off taste. As a matter of fact that is about the most prominent flavor. It seems like just barely enough barley to take it a notch above bud wheat. Would have been a great beer for $1.75 in a plastic cup at a Blackhawks game, but give me my money back for a $7.00 beer when I thought I was buying something decent.

3.11/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a slightly cloudy orange-yellow body with a two finger head which dwindles to minimal foam on the body. Smells of slightly metallic orange peel and a bit of white bread. Tastes of orange-y white bread with a slightly dry bread-y finish. Overall, not a spectacular beer but I'll take one for free.

2.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Shock Top, Shock Top, Shock Top: a definite milestone in my beer journey. Though it may sound silly to document, this was the first beer I had that wasn't Bud or Busch Light. I decided to try it when my roommates suggested a "fancy beer night" (AKA we buy anything that costs more than $12 a case). Although the taste was obviously Anheuser-Busch, it still showed me elements of the beer world I hadn't yet experienced. It's been a while since then, so giving it another go gave me a slight tinge of nostalgia about that moment. I know now, however, that Shock Top is more of a commercial beer than anything else. And, it is with that knowledge that I will review it. Sorry Michelob - it's gonna be no-holds-barred honesty here.

A: It's a cloudy pale yellow, almost like a lemon-flavored candy. The head is big, but not dense at all, with no lacing whatsoever. It reminds me of something...manufactured.

S: Smells of abundant grains. The nose isn't disappointing in that aspect (it is a Witbier), but in the fact that it's not dynamic at all. It is one specific wheat aroma, and that's it. It's definitely not like many other classic wheat beers, where the wheats blossom from piney to fruity to earthy, or anything in between. Hell, even a wildflower can have a nice transition from crisp to warm in their aroma. This, though, is one single wheat tone.

T: Not surprising: one-dimensional wheat at the fore! It's a dim, citrus flavor that dominates the brew. Not complex at all, but still drinkable. Surprisingly, you can taste the yeast underneath it all! Again though, it's one-dimensional, showing off only phenols in the body.

M: Bubbly and drinkable, but a bit artificial. Nothing but AB here.

O: I had this particular bottle at Outback Steakhouse in Avon, Indiana. I had about half of it before my steak came out. I'm sorry to say that I got my first taste of real flavor that night when I ate, not when I drank. Even though I have a special place in my heart for Shock Top, I can't shake the feeling that's it not true craft beer. Not enough flavor, not enough drinkability, not enough reasons to get it again.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch