Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,224 | Reviews: 755

3.02/5  rDev +2.7%

[Poured into a mason jar]

I: Shock top is nothing new to me. I had a bottle in my fridge left over from my vegas trip and figured that I'd review it.

B: [12 FL OZ.] Generic bottle shape and decent label design, but has a good amount of information(origin, abv, date, best served, and etc). As for the cap, it has an awesome design but... god I hate twist offs.

A: A yellow hazy/pale body with a small carbonated head(fast dissipation) minimal lacing.

S: Not much to the smell. Orange citrus and bread/wheat.

T: Sweet orange citrus and biscuit bread malt.

M: Crisp, light bodied, light/med carbonation, and light alcohol presence.

O: Well there's not much to say, but that this is an adequate beer. Nothing that stands out, but I wouldn't turn one down, especially on a hot day.

2.5/5  rDev -15%

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Orange and slightly hazy big head which rapidly deteriorates.

S: Buttery,spicey slightly citrus aroma.

T: Sweet spicey and full of earthy notes,citusy with a splash of malts.

M: Medium bodied with nice rounded flavor.

O: Overall a very drinkable beer and sad to say "good job" Anheusere-Busch.

2.99/5  rDev +1.7%

12oz can with a canning code that can't be broke.

LOOK: Hazed pale straw, two finger of head.

SMELL: Orangey, coriander, perfumey, mild bready grain, clean.

TASTE: Heavy coriander, orange popsicle, wet maltiness, clean, vague spice, slightly bitter, dry grainy finish.

Really not much to this beer, a shell of the style. Looks dirty but comes off too clean. I prefer my whites a bit dirty with some fruitiness and yeast flavors. Nothing of the sort here. A last resort beer if the rest to chose from is light lagers.

3.45/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Warmed from fridge temp then rolled the 475ml can. Poured into a pint glass.

A big three finger off white head on a very hazy apricot. The head diminished to a thin but persistent layer. Some patchy lacing.

Smells of coriander and bread yeast with some spicy notes.

Taste- Is almost exactly like the smells, the somewhat artificial orange and fruit gives way to bready malts with a mild hint of the yeast and a slight hop bitterness at the finish.

Smooth mouthfeel. Finishes dry.

Not a bad Wit. Not outstanding but worthy.

4.03/5  rDev +37.1%

I had this on tap at a bar in Plainfield, IL whose name escapes me now. I ordered it on the advice of my waitress after I asked her if they carried any craft beers. Little did I know at the time that this was an Anhauser-Bush product, but in a way I'm glad I didn't know.

The beer was served in a weizen glass with 4 full fingers of creamy white head sitting on top of a cloudy, pale yellow colored liquid. An orange slice (which I didn't ask for) was hung on the side of the glass. The head lasted several minutes and the beer produced some decent lacing. A very nice looking wit.

The beer had a very wheaty smell to it with plenty of citrus fruit scents (mostly lemon and orange) along with some coriander spice.

Wheat malt backbone with perhaps some other malt variation that gives it some sweetness. Lemon. lime, and orange peel give it both fruitiness and bitterness, while the coriander gives it a good spice kick. Very well done and by far my favorite AB product for now.

Light to medium body with a medium level of carbonation.

This is very refreshing and goes down easy. No noticeable alcohol so very sessionable. This is good stuff.

3.06/5  rDev +4.1%

This is a really good American wit...

It pours orange...

smells plain...a lil bit of citrus but I got an orange peel floating around in there! I know I shouldn't but I had these beers at Appleby's like three years ago and I found the notes I took in the coat tonite! Appleby's servers FTW hot chicks who kept bringing me these 22oz Shock Tops in tall wheat beer glasses with the slice of orange...

It's sort of creamy...I know it's some type of knockoff of hoegaarden or Belgian style wits and it is a poor watered down imitation and it's not as good tonite as I remembered it three years ago but with an orange slice and and hot barmaids! Pour me another lass...

2.91/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a pint glass.

It's a hazy yellow with a foamy head that quickly disappears. There are some slow bubbles.

It's smell is kind of weak. Some citrus?

It's got some spice and some orange. With some wheaty cereal flavors.

It's pretty soft and kind of watery.

Not bad but not good. I think this one was old.

2.6/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy golden straw color. It doesn't have that whittish hue that most in the style have. The white head is short and fizzy.

The aroma is of strong orange peel and coriander. It gives the beer the vegatal aroma that I do not like in bad witbiers. Some white pepper.

The taste is also strong on the orange peel and coriander, which leads to a vegetal flavor. The malt is fairly weak so once you get past the spice, the beer drinks easy. A bit grainy in the end.

The feel is light and fizzy. Drinks crisp and easy, not much of an aftertaste. A little bit of an astringency in the end.

A bleh witbier. Typical overspiced from the orange peel and coriander and not much from any Belgian yeast strain.

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy, pale, lemon yellow color. The small white head it did have reduced to a small ring very quickly. Small bubble streams come up from the bottom, making it appear a shade above stagnant.

S: Overall, the aroma is pretty mellow. Orange zest and wheat are the main players here with some spice notes, particularly coriander, coming through as well.

T: It has a strong wheat and orange peel taste up front. This is followed by a tart, almost lime-like sour finish that is nicely refreshing.

M: It is light bodied with just the right amount of carbonation to leave that slight tingle and refreshing crispness.

O: Coming from AB this isn't a bad offering. There are certainly better witbiers out there, but coming from a large brewer, this is a decent offering.

4.47/5  rDev +52%

When the waitress delivered my Shock Top, I admit that my expectations were low because there was an orange slice on the glass (the nerve!). I've always kind of thought that you serve orange slices with fruity beverages with even fruiter names, not beer! At any rate, I decided to keep an open mind, and I'm glad I did.

The yellow-gold-colored beer had a light, frothy head and a mouthwatering aroma reminiscent of a fruit basket. When the first sip of brew hit my tongue, I immediately understood where this drink got its name. The flavor shocked my taste buds with orange, lemon, and lime. As I washed it down, I was left feeling refreshed. This Belgian-style wheat ale is low on the bitterness ("hoppiness") and has plenty of flavor to go around. The quaffable libation really hit the spot on a warm day.

I was surprised to find that Shock Top is brewed by Anheuser-Busch. I tend to overlook mega-breweries when I'm searching for a new great-tasting beer. I feel like they are all about production and not so interested in creating innovative, flavorful varieties of beer. Thank you, Anheuser-Busch, for making me drink my words. I'll be back for more.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch