Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev -2%

a- bottle poured into a weizen, full two fingers worth of head, watered down apple juice colored, hazy, head fades quickly leaving some lace.

s- wheat-very light, citrus, tart orange, bit of lemon, pepper, some grain with a bit of sweetness.

t- lacking in flavor, slight yeast and wheat, bits of citrus peek through then run back into the muddled mess of flavors, the finish is almost skunky tasting.

m- medium, creamy.

d- ok, it's drinkable, just not much flavor here, and i would rather drink many other different beers before i would drink this again.

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a cloudy pale golden/orangey color. Head slowly dissipates and leaves a film on top. Has the traditional clove and banana smells of a wheat beer. tastes wheatey with a little bit of citrusey orange. Overall this is a nice beer to drink, it surely isn't perfect, but its refreshing. Even though I am not a big fan of AB, I think this is a reasonable beer.

2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

about 40 degree F into a pint glass
A- hazy gull gold with rapidly disappearing head.

S- citrus and corn.

T- faint citrus Not too complex, can't detect anything else

M- weak and watery

D- unimpressive. Reminds me of a slightly improved version of Bud or Miller GD

2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance - A very nice orange hued beer. Some light sediment from fermentation, but a very clear orange brew.

Smell - The smell has an immediate smell of citrus...definetly orange. There is a subtle hint of cloves and maybe coriander. Very pleasant smelling in my opinion.

Taste - the taste is similar to blue moon. You definetly get the bitterness of the citrus flavors. The aromas of the spices used in fermentation linger in your mouth after swallowing.

Mouthfeel - It is a very light brew to drink. Inmy opinion the carbonation was a bit too much, but tolerable.

Drinkability - I think this is a great brew for hot summer days and cookouts. A decent beer overall.

3.85/5  rDev +31%

A good beer for the price- cheaper than Blue Moon and almost as good. Great summer brew, not sure I'd go for it in the winter as I like darker beers in the winter months here in Connecticut. I get a sixer of this at least once a month during the Summer and Fall. Nice citrusy taste. Michelob did a good job here!

3.65/5  rDev +24.1%

Was tired of having same old beer selection at local eatery, so I gave this a try. I am a newbie at exploring my beer tasting palate past the popular brands or should I say "common" choices.

I was pleasantly surprised at the inviting aroma this beer had, good balance of spices and citrus. Though I wasn't blown away with its taste I would recommend it as a good buy for a chain restaurant option.

3.77/5  rDev +28.2%

This is Blue Moon's baby brother in my opinion.

A: Very clear orange with a nice head.

S: Citrus and spice.

T: Very light and tastes like watered down orange juice.

M: Crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation.

D: Its very decent. If you cant find blue moon or are just a cheap ass and dont wanna pay the extra dough for blue moon then this is good. Nice dinner beer if I may say.

2.62/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into pilsner glass.
Pale yellow in color with a small film of head and alot of bubbles. Smells of clove and a little banana. Tastes ok at first with alot of spice and banana flavor up front but falls flat quickly leaving the mouth with an empty feeling. Also, I noticed the flavors get less and less noticeable as you approach the bottom of the glass. Very fluid mouthfeel with very little body. Not a great example of the style. Refreshing brew that achieves it's goal of appealing to the masses but thats about it.

pours a murky off yellow color with a small head and some ok retention with a smallish ring..smell is of clove and fruit some spice but its faint..tatse is the same it has a Belgian look to it but the flavors are so thin and faint..its like they tried to make a great brew but just did not put enough ingredients into it..thin mouth feel as well ..not a solid attempt of the style and unflavorful

3.57/5  rDev +21.4%

Served in a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle from a Michelob Spring sampler. I almost didn't buy the pack due to the presence of Shock Top but I found it much more pleasant than the tap version.

Pours a light golden straw with a touch of haze and offers half an inch of foam. Retention is light but keeps a thin film.

Nose has a slight Belgian funk to it when swirled but is otherwise rather light in nature. Offers a bit of summer fruit and a light citric sense, much lighter in a false fruit sense than experienced on tap.

Flavor is lightly bready of wheat and slightly citric with a subtle orange flavor which masks things a bit too much actually. A bit of spice is revealed on the finish and lingers nicely. Smooth feel and carbonation help things along and make this a fairly quaffable brew.

While surely not special, this beer offers much more character from the bottle when compared to the draft version.

3.28/5  rDev +11.6%

went and took a tour of the local Anheuser Busch plant in my home town, and this was one of the brews on tap at the end of the tour.

a- pale straw, 1.5 finger head drop to 1 finger fast.

s- little citrus, little wheat

t- not terrible, not bitter, not malty either. wheaty

m/d- bubbly at first, then smooth. high drink-ability, its lite, so.

2.63/5  rDev -10.5%

This was one of the few options on tap at a weekly outdoor music series here in Boulder. Appearance is a hazy straw color. About a finger's worth of head that leaves an average amount of lacing when gone. Smell is a little lacking, nothing special. Taste starts off ok; however, about halfway through things go horribly wrong. Kinda tastes like someone went on a rampage in my spice rack and dumped a bunch of crap in my beer, way too overpowering. The spiciness is way out of balance in my opinion, but if that's more your style I could see this being a very sessionable summer beer. However, overall a swing and a miss in my opinion.

3.18/5  rDev +8.2%

12oz bottle picked up as part of an all wheat mixed 12 pack michelob put out. drank from a standard pint glass.

A- this one pours out of the bottle a translucent and pale orange colored body with a decent sized bright white head. the head lasts a surprisingly long time and leaves behind small spots of lacing.

S- the nose on this one isnt too strong. malted wheat behind some orange zest and clove. not much yeast character to it.

T- the taste is also pretty bland. it starts out with a touch of malted wheat and moves into a light spiciness from clove and orange peel. mildly sweet.

M- light to medium bodied with lots of carbonation. moderately refreshing.

D-its ok, i guess. id choose it over blue moon most of the time, so i guess the brewer accomplished what he set out to do.

3.74/5  rDev +27.2%

It's definitely compared to Blue Moon, pretty much looks identical. It's got that orange/yellow color, citrus smell and taste, but not much head. It first pours nice, but goes away very quickly.

I bought a six pack trying to decide if I want to get a keg of it. I'm still undecided. It seems like a nice summer beer, so maybe I'll get it since it's summertime.

3.64/5  rDev +23.8%

This was an interesting beer. The taste was very much like that of a Blue Moon, but slightly less sweet. I had this one out of the bottle unfortunately, yet it was still a very refreshing beer...something that would go great with a summer BBQ. Taste was citrusy, slightly sweet, not much in the area of hops, and yeasty. Good summer beer.

3.5/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A- Alight straw yellow with mild orange hues to light. Opaque with yeasty sediment. Decent head poured, but fades rather fast to thin wisps of it's former self. Definitely a witbier.

S- Orange rinds, bready wheat and two-row malts. Not much in the way of spices and coriander, but not totally absent. Almost indistinguishable from a Blue Moon.

T- A little thin and flat. Very nice creaminess. I don't about others, but I can detect some faint lime flavor, per the label. Starts off with orange rinds, moves to creamy malts and the banana-like yeasts and finishes on spiced ctirus fruits and more creamy breads. Seriously, not a bad brew. Can't quite give a "good" score, but more than average for sure.

M- Very light and thin body with too much carbonation.

D- Good. I actually liked this more than my current macro favorite Blue Moon. A damn decent attempt at a classic Belgian style. Great for summer drinking.

2.28/5  rDev -22.4%

Ugh. What a waste of $6.

Pouring a hazy light orange, this beer has no head and no lace. It looks rather turbid, not really how I expect my witbiers to look. The nose is rather poor, with a lot of fruit character, quite dominated by an orange juice like sweetness that does not work when coupled with the coriander that's also quite prominent. Wheat character is dominated by these characteristics. The palate, while similar, is a little more palatable. Opening with a blend of orange juice and coriander spiciness, this is rather overwhelming on the palate. Quite a bit sweeter than I care for, this beer has some wheat flavor before drying on the finish with a lingering orange and coriander character. It feels rather over-carbonated, and isn't particularly pleasant. I couldn't care enough to actually consume the entire glass. Not recommended.

3.65/5  rDev +24.1%

Appearance is like a cloudy lager with a little orange tint. Very little carbonation, after a couple of minutes there was no lacing and very few bubbles.

Aroma is nothing special, slightly sour, wheat, citrus and sweet, maybe a little banana and clove going on too.

I really enjoyed the taste, more so than I expected. I like that the citrus and coriander are pretty subtle. It's a little too sweet for my taste but it has a good balance with the wheat and malts.

Mouthfeel is light and this one goes down very easy. Very drinkable and great for hot weather and grilled food.

I'm usually not a big fan of Belgian White but this was tasty. I don't like Blue Moon very much because the added flavors are too strong. (I was surprised Blue Moon has an A rating; this was much more my style.) I got this in the Michelob sampler. Don't know if I'd buy Shock Top alone, but I'm happy to add it to my menu for a little variety.

2.05/5  rDev -30.3%

Pickings were slim at the airport, and the whole point was to get a beer with my shot, so this was it.

A: without knowing what it was, there might have been a bit of promise, but seeing the extra-tall pilsner glass full of watered-down SunnyD-looking swill, topped with superfoamy head, I was looking forward to the Jacquart Brut Mosaïque I knew I would be enjoying on the flight for which I was waiting.

S: not too bad, not too skunky, with enough fruit coming through

T: I knew what it was going for with its orange peel and coriander, though I like neither of those flavors, except in a truly well-balanced tripel

M: very thin body, and like cheap bubbly, the bubbles were too big

D: really would rather not do that again

Notes from 02.09.10 SEA-TAC

2.33/5  rDev -20.7%

I think my fiance got this for free. She came home one day with a single bottle of this and some other singles.

Appearance- yellow color, semi cloudy, some ok head that dissipates quickly

Smell- First thing I thought of when I smelled it was this is funky and made a funny face. funky smell, citrus

Taste- very light flavor, barely tasted any citrus

Mouthfeel- light bodied

Drinkability- a cold one on a hot day might be more drinkable but probably not, I didn't really like it. I wouldn't drink it again.

2.5/5  rDev -15%

12oz. bottle poured into standard pint glass.

A - Pours with a nice white head that disappears immediately. Leaves a slight lacing on the glass as you drink which slides down the side and vanishes into the drink within seconds. Appearance is that of a cloudy dull orange color. Definitely not much to admire.

S - What smell? I can't smell much of anything. I even let this warm up to room temp hoping to get something out of it. Faintly orangy with a bit of malt is all I am getting.

T - Again, not much here. A bit malty at first is all I taste which disappears quickly behind a slight orange and a biscuity taste. Nothing strong until I got to the last couple of drinks, then the sediments came through. The sediments were just an amplified taste of malt and biscuit. Not bad, just nothing spectacular.

M - Thin and bubbly. Carbonation stings the tongue a bit. Little bit of orange taste comes through, but not much else.

D - As a fan of craft beer, this is definitely not something I would pay to drink again. Flavor is weak and boring. I guess if you don't normally drink anything outside of Bud or Bud Lite, this would probably be bursting with flavor and very drinkable. A step up from Anheuser-Busch's typical macro fare, but not much. And a step down from Michelob's line.

The fact that they even mention this as being a "Belgian Style" is a slap in the face to every decent Belgian beer out there. Without a doubt the bottom of the line in any Witbier I have ever had.

2.66/5  rDev -9.5%

Saw recently at a bar-b-que a friend of mine was enjoying. Swearing it was his new favorite beer of summer, I decided to try myself but saw it was from anheuser busch I was a bit surprised.

Appearance: Very light golden color, with a slight bright haze. The white head seemed appealing until it dispersed in about 5 seconds.

Smell: Bold malt flavoring, with subtle hints of orange peel and maybe mild hops?

Taste: light malt flavoring, changing into a random concoction of spices ranging from tangy orange and lemon to downright watered down malts. Sorry Anheuser, but seems like a run of the mill beer.

Mouthfeel: Light, thin-bodied w/ a mix of easy going carbanation.

Drinkability: Actually a beer you might see a person who wants to appear to be drinking smart but really is just a throw blanket on another failed attempt to persuade real beer aficionado that they might be drinking smart. Went down very clean and crisp though. I would recommand to my friend who's recently trying to spread his good beer drinking wings. Cheers!

2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Very hazy yellow. Served in a pint glass with virtually no head at all. Not even a complete surface coating. Just patches of white foam islands floating around the top of the beer. Not surprisingly, no lacing.

S: Virtually none. Maybe a little orange, but thats only noticeable if you jam your nose in the glass and try to find something.

T: There is a slight tang. Orange becomes a bit more pronounced. It is a bit sweet. Just not a whole lot going on here.

M: Light bodied with a heavier level of carbonation for the weight of the beer.

D: I was unaware AB brewed this when I ordered it. I guess that explains why its just not that great of a beer. It's a session beer, if you want to call it that, though I personally wouldn't want to drink another as there are far many better beers out there. Mine was served with an orange slice, which greatly improved the flavor of this beer when it was finally added to it.

3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

A decent refreshing beer. Quite 'orangy' actually. I think that it's also a fun beer for people new to other flavors. And I'd hate to be cliche', but I think women would like it.

It is pretty light, and simple. There are no off or undesirable characteristics to it at all. Very clean.

At a local restaurant, it's the only thing on tap other than coors light or bud light, so I'd probably order it again.

It's definitely AB's answer to Coor's Blue Moon, but I actually think it's better.

3.29/5  rDev +11.9%

It's not a bad brew, but nothing compared to a really good craft beer or German pour at Oktoberfest. It's better without the stinking orange chunk that they seem compelled to add, but I'm not an orange fan. I would rather drink this than a Budweiser but it's still only just OK.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch