Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +33.9%

Appearance- Good wheat beer appearance. Cloudy golden color. Produced about a 2 finger head that fizzled to 1, then remained for about half the beer, and left decent lacing.

Smell- Really good smell. You can smell the hops and malt of the beer as well as a citrus smell. A little sweet, but thats with I expect in a wheat beer.

Taste- Great taste, Slight bitterness, slight sweetness, and a distingishable citrus taste.

Mouthfeel- Excellent mouthfeel. Not watery, slightly dry but not too much.

Drinkablitlity- A good beer, but not something I could drink a lot of. Good to kick back and relax with a couple of beers.

Very good Belgian white. If you like Blue Moon or other wheat beers like Leinenkugel, try this one. Also very good with an orange slice. It really complements the citrus taste and the chillability of this beer. Found this beer on sale at $6 a 6-pack, definitely worth that.

Love the logo on the bottle btw, an orange with a wheat mohawk and sunglasses, very cool look.

cottonkoozie, Nov 03, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -44.7%

Overview: about as impressive as dirty dishwater after a Thanksgiving feast.

I had it last year and thought it was OK. So I bought a six pack to go with a pizza and headed out to the local drive in.

Was murky and sour-smelling with a thin, quickly-dissipating head. Smelled off as well. Taste was the worst part - had some sort of stale citrus taste, hard to tell it was orange. Very light, and I would say watery but that would be an insult to water. I checked, but it was well within its freshness date.

I won't be purchasing this beer EVER again.

ProfessorHomer, Nov 02, 2008
3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Didn't notice the michelob raised up on the side of the bottle till I started some taking notes so I'm slightly impressed with this wheat ale. Interesting bottle, orange slice with a wheat mohawk and sun glasses. Kind of cool, makes me wish it wish it was warmer because I could kill these in the summer on the beach. Someone, get me an orange slice damn it.

Poured a cloudy golden color with very light lacing and little head retention.

Had a crisp, lightly sweet, creamy citrus flavor. I could see my Va J J drinking this.

Nice mid range carbonation. Some tingle on the tongue.

Plop me in a beach chair, stick one of these in my hand with an orange slice and I'll watch some bikinis stroll by. To bad its october, damn it.

Phread, Oct 27, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +16.9%

Had it on tap while having dinner at Applebees. The appearance was an incredibly murky yellow look with some pretty good lacing on the sides. Thin head. Aromas were ok, not too strong but also too conservative than I would expect. The taste was comfortably subtle in bitterness with a little off-metallic taste. Lemon flavors mixed with some slight biscuit hints. I did find it really refreshing, but a little on the light, watery side. Overall, not a bad drink.

fitzy84, Oct 25, 2008
3.05/5  rDev +3.4%

Had this beer on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings last night. I'm not sure if this is a seasonal brew for AB. First things first, I order the "big" beer, which is served in a typical Hefeweizen style glass and the beer comes to my table a good inch to two inches from the top of the glass. Is this what it has come to in order to save a few bucks? WTF!

Anyway, so now I'm slightly pissed off. The reason I brought up the seasonality of the beer is because at first I thought it might have been the end of the Keg. My 2nd thought after I taste the beer is that they must not sell much of this stuff because it tasted as if it had come from a dirty tap, or that just could be par for the course for this stuff. It looked like your typical Belgian white, not as cloudy as some of the better ones (Allagash etc.) but it just tasted a little off. Again I've never had this beer before and probably won't again. It had a stale taste to it that wasn't very pleasing. I soldiered on and finished the beer since I had already paid some outrageous price for a 3/4 glass of beer. I think the favorite part of drinking a Belgian out of a bottle is the extra yummy at the bottom of the bottle. This is hard to duplicate in a tap beer.

tdawgydog, Oct 24, 2008
1.58/5  rDev -46.4%

A - Opaque (cloudy) gold body, thin bleached white head, and slow (next to nothing) carbonation. There's no excitement in this beer.

S - Citrusy hops and bread.

T - Citrusy hops and bread faintly detected but almost nothing but water... like a propel fitness water with alcohol in it. Yeah, boring.

M - Clear presence, like water.

D - Wasn't going into this with any expectations... didn't come out with anything positive. Worst beer I've had since I started reviewing beer.

n00tz, Oct 11, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +23.7%

Hazy citrus pale straw color. Good head & lacing.

Nice aroma. Wheat flour, a little pear flavor.

Nice taste, easy drinking, it is not screaming at you. A little sweet, but a very faint sweetness. Body is a little light. A little thin, but I am glad it is not overbearing.

Nothing to write home about, but a decent brew when you have limited selections at a bar and want something that goes down easy. Good on a hot day; I prefer it to blue moon.

craytonic, Oct 10, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to Weizen glass a dense cloudy yellow gold with two inches of white foam head that settled to a quarter inch with some spotty lacing. Expected a strong orange smell from the Mohawked Orange on the label but not much in the nose, just a hint of wheat and citrus. Weak taste here of wheat and mild citrus. It had good carbonation and was very easy drinking. This is OK at best, not a solid representation of the style and the false promotion of Orange dominance did not help it in my scoring.

Pleepleus, Oct 06, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +19.7%

The beer poured a cloudy pale amber, looking just like any belgian white would.
Comparing it to a well known blue moon I would have to say that it is much better, with a little bit sweeter taste and better drinkability it comes out on top.
It's a bit stickier at the lips than your normal beer.

Berticus, Oct 04, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A.-this beer poured a one inch off white head in a thick glass mug.It had A decent retention but poor lacing. the color was a milky gold and very cloudy with some settlement (maybe zest)

S.-not the strongest aroma..hint of citus, but leaves the nose quickly.

T.-the initial taste is less than strong,( maybe a little H2O heavy for my personal taste) follwed by a citrus aftertaste..

M.- did not really come alive for me as far as mouth feel but still went down smooth.

D.-fairly easy to drink, was a little heavy in the middle for my personal choice.

deaconsmith, Sep 29, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +23.7%

Appearance- It has yellow hay colored body. The body is also bubbly but only forms average head and lace.

Smell- It smells of orange and spice it also has some tones that are like bread dough

Taste- The flavor is about the same as the smell predominantly spicy and orange. It has nice wheat smell with some adjunct hints.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with a lot of fizz.

Drinkability- I thought it was pretty good and I would drink it again.

MTNboy, Sep 28, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +37.3%

A cloudy yellow beer with not a great deal of head. Smell was pleasantly spicey. Taste was better then Blue Moon, having alot of fruit and spices going on in the finish, but it had a bitter taste that seems to be trademark in every macrobrewed beer I've ever had. Mouthfeel was very bubbly, the carbonation got me quite bloated. Still I wouldn't have minded a second. In my oppinion it's not the greatest beer ever, but it is a pleasent drinkable white beer.

hdofu, Sep 21, 2008
2.95/5  rDev 0%

Poured as per directions - "rolled the bottle and poured what's left to form a thick collar of foam" - the "thick collar" didn't actually materialize, the head was one-finger thick and didn't last very long. Body was straw-yellow and cloudy - on par for the style.

Smell of some fruitiness (citrus) and a bit of spice, not a lot of malt character and no hops - again appropriate for the style.

Flavor had some mild spice, fruitiness and a bit of sour funk, but nothing overpowering and somewhat refreshing. Yeast flavor present - perhaps an acquired taste for some. Mouthfeel was a bit heavily carbonated.

Overall, seems to be a fairly mild entry into the style. May be good for someone trying to branch into this type of beer as they won't be overpowered by spices and/or yeast, but there is enough of these components to give a glimpse of what is possible in this type of beer.

kevinglin, Sep 11, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought a 6 pack for $5.99

I wish people didn't know this was an AB product because I thought it was a great beer. Much better than other Wit's I've had from more 'prestigious' micros. So damn smooth and tasty and at a great price, wha more can you ask for?!

oriolesfan4, Sep 10, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -1.7%

Always see this one sitting lonely at the corner of the cooler. Only non-MGD/BL product at this place... figured it's worth a try.

Poured a very light golden amber color that was heavily clouded. Small off white head that disappeared quickly.

Smell was very minimal. Just a slightest hint of citrus. A very mild witbier, with not much character.

The taste replicated the smell. A small note of wheat and even less citrus. Taste fleeted quickly.

The drinkability is decent. With such a lackluster concentrate, this beer could be consumed by the dozen if your looking for something not full-bodied. This one is a cheap, quick thrill. Definitely not characteristic of a good Belgian wheat. Does have a macro twist to it.

Do yourself a favor and go with a Hoegarrden or some other good representation!

rmcnealy, Sep 09, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -19.3%

A. Poured into a 12 oz. plastic "glass" at a Steelers game. Pale yellow with a decent head.

S. Very light citrus and spice.

T. A pretty bland tasting beer really. Very little to taste, faint grains, even fainter wheat, and just a bit of orange citrusy hoeggarden like wit taste.

M. Somewhat smooth and bland to the palate.

D. Overall this is average drinking at best. Surely beats most if not all other AB products, but I will be leary of this one as well..

Stinkypuss, Sep 08, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +20.3%

Saw it was an AB product since I was curious about the brewery before I bought it. My immediate thought was that this had to be their response to Coors Blue Moon.

Yes, it is trying to imitate a witbier, but even Blue Moon doesn't do that fully, since there is a significant difference, I think, between Hoegaarden and Blue Moon. I like Blue Moon, so I thought I'd try this...

Appearance: Looks like a Blue Moon. Very little head retention.

Aroma: Pretty mild, I can detect citrus and the aroma of a wheat beer is there...not too strong though. Barely.

Taste: The citrus is a little too much, as another reviewer pointed out, its like drinking orange soda. At least they didn't copy Blue Moon straight up.

Overall, this is drinkable, and isn't too expensive, but its not worth my money to get it again. My roommate seems to love this one though, so I guess I'll be having it occasionally since its there.

Not disgusting or offensive, but not WOW either.

kshankar, Sep 07, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I kept seeing this around and thought it was a local. Of course, I was way off (thanks A-B).

Appearance - Pretty decent. A nice cloudiness with a straw color and just a touch of head. So far, so good.

Smell - A little funky. But more in the "skunky" category than the "funky belgian" variety. Sort of bilge-ish.

Taste - Very much average. A little citrus, a little sweeter than I'd otherwise prefer. A little bit of a Busch-aftertaste. Sort of like if you gussied up a Coors.

Mouthfeel - Pretty average. Nothing special, but some decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Fairly strong, all things considered. I know the review seems a little harsh, but as much as anything it was mild. I dunno, how many Stroh's or Miller Lite's can I drink? I find those beers pretty drinkable, and I can see downing a couple of Shock Tops if they were hanging around (and they are).

My fellow reviewers make a good point. I had this beer pegged higher, and thought folks were being snobbish at first. Then the palate adjusted, and the beer warmed a touch, and it went from "pretty decent" to "entirely average".

callmescraps, Sep 06, 2008

Appearance - arrives at the table with a small creamy-looking head covering a cloudy yellowish straw beer. Fine head retention though it didn't really lace like I thought it might.

Aroma - sweet, wheaty, soft citrus. About what I was expecting.

Taste - smooth easygoing grains to open. A decent wheat presence and a really nice little burst of orange on the swallow. After several sips, the palate adjusts and the beer goes a little bland. It's still okay, but it tastes like a diluted Blue Moon after some warming occurs.

Mouthfeel - a good smooth beer, the carbonation is mellowed as well.

Drinkability - an average wit; I'd prefer a Blue Moon os Sunset Wheat to this, but wouldn't turn it down.

brewdlyhooked13, Sep 05, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Cloudy, light orange body topped with a two-finger head, white and quickly dissipating. Thin lacing clings desperately to the glass. Nose is mellow wheat yeast, citrus, a touch of citrus zest, some mossiness, and a nearly imperceptible hint of coriander. Taste is pale wheat, orange and lemon. Goes down easy, with coriander emerging and a dry and short finish. Good carbonation but the body is thin to the point it's unenjoyable. Overall, not bad, refreshing, but lacks character and surpassed by nearly every other beer in the category.

ism, Sep 04, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +29.8%

A - A hazy light orange color. Contains a good deal of carbonation with adequate (though quickly dissapating) head. When served in the proper glassware and viewed in proper lighting, a condensated glass of Shock Top could be mistaken for a light colored cup of orange juice.

S - A smell typical of wheat beers with a definate blast of orange.

T - Strong blast of orange when served on-tap, but not so strong out of bottle. This beer is a definate white beer with all the typical wheat flavor characteristics.

M - This beer is a tad thin, but very refreshing.

D - Excellent on-tap, so-so when bottled. Either way, this beer is a very refreshing brew.

Shock Top is a beer that should not be overlooked just because it is branded with the Anheuser-Busch logo. In fact, I would have never even guessed this was an Anheuser brew until I inspected the label on the bottle.

This beer certainly stands up to other mass-produced American white ales.

SimplySinister, Sep 03, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz brown bottle poured into a mug

Shock Top Belgian White poured a cloudy golden color with a 2-finger white head that dissipated rather quickly. Aroma and taste is of light citrus, [orange and lemon flavors] wheat, coriander and a little yeast. Mouth feel is medium at most to a little thin when compared to a true Belgian. Shock Top is clean, crisp and has a refreshing finish with carbonation that fits the style.

Shock Top is Anheuser-Busch's answer to Coors popular Blue Moon. I feel that Blue Moon has a slight more flavor than Shock Top. A good [beginning] introduction to a Belgian style white ale [wit bier].

bushbeer75, Sep 02, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -26.4%

Hazy yellow color with a fluffy head that for some reason doesn't impress me too much. The smell is of citrus fruits. The taste is is similar...it's nice but it lacks a lot of character...not bad but not great. This seems just like a standard, run-of-the-mill Witbier.

Light bodied.

I actually didn't know it as AB unitll now...just FYI for myself.

Douglas14, Sep 02, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +19.7%

Pale, cloudy sort of yellow color. Nice aroma-somewhat spicy and a tinge of orange. Clean and crisp flavor-slight level of belgian yeastiness. Mellow spice-some coriander and orange-very minimal but it is there. Good mouthfeel-very crisp and somewhat dry. Enjoyable enough beer, not overly offensive as far as wit beers go. Training wheel beers I like to call these. Not my style to begin with but enjoyable enough on a hot day. I dont care for the slick packaging.

lackenhauser, Sep 01, 2008
2.03/5  rDev -31.2%

So I was in the mid-west on business and the place I had diner had this tap handle I've never seen. I swear I reviewed this beer without knowing that it was an AB product. Had I known, never would have oredered it. But here are my notes:

Spicy wheat aroma with light citurs and a little honey. Oberall not very aromatic, everything is very light.

Yellow, too dark for style, very clear, big thick head.

There's a little wheat flavor in the malt and some honey. Lacking any spice flavor at all and no yeast esters. It's a very clean beer with just a touch of wheat and not Wit identity at all.

Pretty thin even for the style. lively carbonation but that makes it seem even more airy with no substance.

Not sure what the deal is with this beer. There are plenty of adequate Wits on the market and even a few really good ones. I would not have this again. Boring.

czechsaaz, Sep 01, 2008