Join our email list →

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Witbier | 5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 765 | Hads: 3,525
2.3/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I had this with and without an orange. With the orange, I primarily tasted the orange and very little of the beer itself. It was more like a soda than a beer. Without the orange, and overall, I found the beer less than average. I could taste the citrus and coriander, which gave it an earthy tone, but, unfortunately, it just wasn't all that great.

2.69/5  rDev -10.3%

Well, this isn't a great "craft beer," but it's not as though it's undrinkable....as though all of us didn't grow up on PBR, Milwaukee' Best, Bud Light, etc. So, that said, this is a slightly below average beer, but very below average Belgian/Wheat. With the lemon/fruit smell and taste, leave this to the summer. I wold much rather see this served at a summer party as oppposed to Miller Lite, Coors Light, etc.

A - Light orange/yellow in color and hazy, it almost reminded me of pear juice; it started with a nice white foamy head and not overly thick, but dissipated almost completely; small amount of sediment
S - Crisp lemon and fruit
T - Nothing overpowering, or even dominant in flavor; easy to drink; some lemon, but generally weak if you are looking for big taste
F - moderate carbonation
O - You could easily drink 3-4 of these , can be refreshing if you didn't mind the lack of beer taste; it tastes mass produced, if that makes sense

3.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a Stella Artois goblet.

A: Bright golden orange, hazy, with a 1 finger white head that fades to a layer of foam.
S: Orange peel, slight alcohol tang, some spice notes.
T: Sweetness, candy orange flavor. Some yeastyness at the end. Same tasting malt as the adjunct lagers.
M: Medium mouthfeel. Less creamy than Blue Moon. Very drinkable and refreshing.
O: About the same as Blue Moon, but it seems to be more of a mix between a witbier and an adjunct lager. A little crisper, though. Buy whichever is cheapest.

3.09/5  rDev +3%

I don't get the vitriol for this beer; it isn't a bad beer by any means, it's just not a great beer. Is it a legitimate Belgian beer? Of course not, but Budweiser isn't really a legitimate lager, so I'll judge it on its taste alone: pretty good, not bad.

2.67/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Why did I buy this, on tap no less? I am still not sure. The truth of the matter is, I was sitting in my local pub and I had had a couple beers, and I was trying to mix it up a little, and I thought, "What the hell, how bad can it be?" Pretty bad, as it turns out. And I knew this was a bad idea going in. So here it goes:

Shock Top Belgian White, served on tap in a standard pint glass:

Appearance: A pale, foggy mash with an almost nonexistent head. A stupid orange slice sits precariously on edge of the glass. Gag me with a teaspoon! I threw that damned thing away immediately.

Aroma: Good question. There wasn't any. Maybe a distant rotten citrus scent? But that was probably from the orange slice I just discarded.

Taste: Bland, slightly citrus, some wheat but not much. This is one damned crappy "crafty" beer. My tongue is NOT thanking me right now.

Mouthfeel: About average, light, and very slight carbonation. Not overly pleasant. Not disgusting either. It just is.

Overall: This beer is certainly below par, but what was I really expecting anyway? I got it just because, and I regretted it from start to finish. I would never order this again. Period.

2.87/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Lagunitas mason jar
From: Albertsons in Alpine, Calif.
Price: $10.99 for a variety 12-pack
Purchased: Dec. 3, 2014
Consumed: Dec. 6, 2014
Misc.: Bottled on Oct. 8, 2014; Bottled read, “To serve, pour down side of glass until ½ inch is left in bottle. Swirl and pour remaining brew to release the aroma and flavor. Enjoy!”

Poured a honey, orange, straw, hazy color with 1-to-2 fingers of off-white head that dissipated rather quickly. Some bubbles coming up from the bottom, but nothing crazy. No lacing on the sides. Minimal retention on the top. (Sight - 2.75)

Smelled citrus zest, orange peel, coriander, Alka-Seltzer, caramel, citrus wheat and grassy hops. (Smell - 3.25)

Tasted pretty bland overall. Got coriander, Citra hops, orange peel, caramel, grassy hops, orange wheat, honey and Alka-Seltzer. (Taste - 2.75)

Light body. Oily-to-thin texture. Lively-to-fizzy carbonation. Abrupt, somewhat fruity finish. (Feel - 2.75)

It’s funny how I used to like this beer. But I also put an orange in there and we all know that you can never trust a beer that needs fruit added to it. (Overall - 2.75)

2.87 | 67 | C

2.82/5  rDev -6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.75

Has a cloudy golden look, with a small white head.

Smells of yeast and malt.

There is definitely something appealing about this taste. With a lot of bananas, cloves, citrus, Belgian-ish yeast, and malt. Sadly, the carbonation completely overwhelms this beer. I could see myself drinking a fair bit of this if the carbonation was subtler, as what I was able to feel beyond the carbonation was quite intriguing.

In this state, this is a tolerable beer. I just wish it was a good one.

3.19/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A very hazy orange with bits of what I presume to be citrus peel swimming around. Not much of a head. Smells like your average mass marketed beer. The tongue senses lots of carbonation & citrus tangyness. Not too sweet, not too citrusy, not too much flavor but not bad.

2.25/5  rDev -25%

Okay...took a few sips from a friend's bottle, here are my thoughts.....

Haven't had this in a few years, and it's exactly as I remember. Almost no nose, what is there is one of weak citrus fruit. Taste is the same, a weak white ale that finishes with a citrus, almost sour end. Not a great example of the style, even for a BMC offering.

There are MUCH better options out there.

2.9/5  rDev -3.3%

Well. My options tonight were the ubiquitous American Light Pale Lagers... and this. It was inoffensive and satisfying for the place I was at. It's Anheiser-Busch's "craft" line, and honestly feels like they tasted Blue Moon and went "oh, yeah? Well, HERE."

2.38/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Really not much to this one. Some grainy and citrus elements, particularly orange. Light and simple. Beyond that, little depth, flavor and complexity. I simply wanted to at least try this one. Now that I've done that, I have decided that once is quite enough.

3.28/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours with a small, white head. Is golden in color and very murky. Has aromas of citrus from brewed peels and wheat that combine to create and alright smell. Initial taste is strong with coriander, but not too strong. Orange and like combine to create a finishing flavor. Overall taste is alright. A right in the middle beer.

3/5  rDev 0%

Poured into Belgium pint glass.
Appearance: Cloudy orange. Starts as a two finger white head which fades to a film with some lacing.
Smell: Oranges and wheat.
Taste: Very slight orange flavour and moderate wheat. Slight bitterness on the finish. Sickly corn, a common flavour in macro brews, is only slightly present. Body is light with high carbonation.
Overall: A fairly drinkable beer which is relatively free of the astringent corn flavour that is present in most of their other beers.

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%

I usually like IPA's and I was kinda disappointed to find out this was made by "them". But I have to say that this has a consistent drinkability and enough flavor to make it above average.

3.8/5  rDev +26.7%

I've reviewed this beer before (I don't know where it went, sometimes they just disappear, probably in data transfer to new servers or whatever) so I won't go into detail. Everyone knows what it is anyway.

I wonder, however, why it has such poor ratings on BA. It's a bit dark for the style, I'll say that. And perhaps the head retention and lacing could be a little better, but I still think it's pretty good for the style. It's a bit malty, mainly wheaty in the aroma, but there's still some coriander to it, as well as orange peel, and all of that carries into the flavor as well. It's rounded and balanced. It might be fuller than I'd expect, but there are other American breweries doing the same. Blue Moon is much heavier, and scores better, and there are a lot of brewpubs and smaller micros in the same boat. Besides all of that, it's clean and consistent. I think it's just getting a bad rap here because it's made by A-B.

2.96/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy gold, fizzy head that completely dissipates.

Smell: Not strong at all. Maybe a hint of wheat and orange.

Taste: Nothing to write home about. Some fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Too much pop for my liking of a wheat beer.

Overall: Nice beer for a a party. Light and easy to drink.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

I'm a big fan of Belgian style wheat beers, but this one is just ho-hum. It's not terrible, but it's definitely not remarkable. Taste is grainy with a slight spice/bitterness to it on the backend. Very watery and lightly carbonated. Serviceable as a witbier but not one of the better ones.

3.2/5  rDev +6.7%

I saw an add on youtube about that beer so I wanted to give it a try
The look is a golden beer with an opaque density.
About the smell, I can say that is bad. For me the smell gets a 0.
Now the taste is different than the smell. More on the watery side, but a good taste. I doubt about that this is a Belgium style. Maybe the appearance, but for the taste I will say it's more an American Blonde Style .
Overall he does good expect for the taste. A little bit too watery for me. U really can't feel the 5,2 ABV. If it was around 6 or 6,5 ABV, I would give a higher score.
So would I recommend it ? Sure, it's refreshing and doesn't have a bad taste at all BUT if you are looking for a Belgium style, there is much better. If you are looking for a smelly beer, this one is not for you. If you are looking for a beer that have some guts, this one is not for you either.

3/5  rDev 0%

A standard you see a lot of places and it really hits the "okay" rating pretty spot on. Not great, but not terrible either. Appearance is a hazy light yellow with a fizzy head. The smell was a lot of orange peel and other citrus. The taste was similar with a lot of orange and then a little bit of wheat and yeast underneath. Mouthfeel was pleasant. Overall, a beer I wont say no to, but probably wont be picking up a case anytime soon.

Poor imitation of a belgian white. Watery imitation of Blue Moon even when the Blue moon white is a poor beer. I have a fondness for Bluemoon as it was my notice of the idea of Craft Beer and the existence other beers other than adjunct lagers.

2.95/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I've found that drinking ST from the bottle and following the directions on the bottle on how to pour into a glass makes a big difference. Especially if you add a slice of orange to the glass. Still a fairly weak macrobrew, but better than your typical Bud or Miller swill.

2.79/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Well, it could be that my palate has been unduly influenced by the very hoppy ales I've been drinking. I found this Belgian White to be almost devoid of any flavor at all. I don't think I'd be able to tell much of a difference between this and one of the mainstream lagers.

I don't find anything exactly bad about it. It's kind of refreshing in the way sparkling water is refreshing, though with a bit of flavor one would likely identify as "beery." If there are spices, they were used most sparingly.

I've had MUCH worse beers than this - some so bad that I had to pour them down the drain. This beer is disappointing as a "white ale," but definitely NOT drain pour. I wouldn't spend money on it, but it it's hot or very warm out and it's offered to me, I will gladly take it simply as a thirst quencher.

4.48/5  rDev +49.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Shock Top taste great UNLESS you do not read the bottle. With this beer it is important that you pour the beer into a mug except for about an inch of beer in the bottle. At this point you need to swish around the beer in the bottom of the bottle to get the sediment out and dump into your glass. You will have a much better tasting beer. I also recommend squeezing a slice of orange into the beer for a more citrus flavor.

3.06/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

I personally like blue moon better than this, but shock top has more of a sort of water down Orange juice flavor to it and was good for the hotter days. Less citrus out of the bottle than poured into a glass. It's like a lighter option to blue moon.

2.34/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a wine goblet.

A - Color is medium straw with lots of orange. Appearance is very cloudy and murky (ok for style). Low head quickly disappears. Light lacing.

S - Low bready malt and wheat. Light flowery note like chamomille, maybe some other light spices. No hops. Citrus doesn't come across, nor do any yeast notes.

T - Malt is so faint it's almost not there. No obvious wheat. Some spice, but it is indistinct. Citrus not noticeable. No hops or yeast.

M - Medium body with a strange "powdery" mouthfeel. Slightly sweet and cloying finish. Some bitterness appears to be combination of hops and citric acid. No alcohol presence.

O - Not only not distinctive, but actually a poor example of style in a lot of ways. Where is the wheat? Where's the yeast character? Or even the citrus for that matter?

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch