Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Belgian WhiteShock Top Belgian White

Avg: 3
Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 754 | Hads: 3,436
3.2/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Pours 2 fingers of frothy white head with ok retention and very little lacing. The beer is very cloudy giving it a very pale yellowish/orange color with lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Coriander, orange, lemon and some wheat malts make up the aroma.

M - A light-bodied beer with a wet watery feel to it. It has moderate carbonation.

T - Some wheat malts in the front followed by some spices and then a burst of orange flavor in the end. A little too much orange on the finish in my opinion.

A decent interpretation of the Witbier. The best AB "craft beer" I have tried thus far. Very easy to drink, great for summer/spring.

2.92/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured out of a twist off undated 12oz bottle

A - Pours a light gold color with lots of haze. This one has been sitting around, so a ton of yeast was in the bottle which has appeared as "floaties" in the beer. Very little head.

S - Does this have a smell? Not much at all there. The lightest hint of spice, such as clove/coriander, is present.

T - At first its a light balance of some malt notes, bitterness, and the spices. Not much orange in this part of the flavor - that comes later. The midstream is somewhat flat. Finishes with a quite potent orange flavor. Way too strong in my opinion.

M - Body is solid - perhaps more than most witbiers I would appreciate. However, I would say the mouthfeel is akin to the St. Bernardus that I'm not much of a fan of either.

D- Easy drinking, not overly thick, low ABV. Typical target beer for AB. Not that its a bad thing for me once in a while.

Okay beer that I could drink when better choices are not available. I do applaud AB for trying to get some variety in their approach.

2.51/5  rDev -16.3%

Freshness date on the bottle, always love these and wish every bottle had one. One finger pure white head quickly faded to a thin layer atop my brew. Cloudy banana yellow color. Aromas are a little muted and the citrus is hard to detect (esp for beer sporting an orange with sunglasses and a Mohawk on the label). The flavors are a little more defined and the orange does come though along with some lime peel underneath and a little wheat. Too sweet for the style and the spices are hard to detect but it does get better as it warms up. Light body and a pleasant mouthfeel but carbonation is little too vibrant. Good effort for A-B and a good alternative for those who do drink A-B products and want some variation.

3.37/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow with a lot of sediment in the glass. No real head or lacing

Smell: Orange, malt, and banana is hidden in there as well. A lot better on the nose than I was expecting.

Taste: Lemon and orange peel and some spice. A bit of a bitter aftertaste and a heavy bitter orange taste at the end.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is high and really geels good in the mouth.

Drinkability: I didnt know it was an AB product till I looked at the lable (which is why I picked it up anyway). I could drink quite a few of these on a hot day and being over %5 ABV I would enjoy it.

3.18/5  rDev +6%

This is a nice effort for a major Brewing company, but it has that thin watery pilsner flavor underneath. It's like a Bud Ice with spices, I don't seem to get the feel, flavor, or texture of an actual ale with this one.

I'd pick this up for a special occasion where I had a cookout with too many guests to get a craft Beer from smaller breweries (they tend to spend more time with their brews since distribution is smaller).

It has enough character to beat out all of the Bud and Busch stuff, but Long Trail does a nicer job with a Belgian Ale for the price range.

Allagash White from Portland, ME (New England/Northeast bias aside) is strictly the best American interpretation of this style so far. I'm eager to find some others. This is worth a try on a hot summer day chilled (room temp doesn't suit this too well).

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Now Listening to: Gruff Rhys - Rhagluniaeth Ysgafn

I didn't even know that this was an AB beer when I ordered it in CT. I had never seen it before. But AB or not, I knew that this beer was a bit of a mess. The taste slams you with its overpowering spice. This beer is to witbier as pizza filled Combos are to real pizza. It runs down a check list of elements to qualify it as a witbier, without any attention to the quality of these elements or how they work together. The best thing about this was the mouthfeel, because it was light enough on the palate to be passable for most people on hot summer nights.

2.87/5  rDev -4.3%

An interesting pale hue of cloudy golden orange. There was some white soapy suds on the top that quickly faded. No lacing to note.

The aroma was interesting. I would not let them serve this with the 'mandatory' orange slice that they wanted to include but I swear there was still a faint hint of orange on the nose. Odd because I sure didn't taste any orange. Some light wheat & malt did make it past the orange but that was about it. A pleasant aroma, if not very traditional.

Well, the taste wasn't what I was expecting after such a fruity nose. This tasted like a cross between a wheat beer and a grand cru - some spice, some notes of lemon zest, and a little wheat chafe, but overall rather weak on the palate. Everything sort of falls apart on the tongue and leaves you with a watery, somewhat bitter finish.

I was very hot and thirsty when I purchased this and the first few sips did the trick of quenching my thirst. After about half a glass though as the brew warmed up, it got harder and harder to get it down. The last quarter was just a straight up shot - finally gone.

I guess I'm just turning into a beer snob a bit but I really didn't care for this. There are so many other representations of the style that are so much better. My advice would be to check the others out first if you can.

2.77/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a shaker glass.

A: Pours an orange-straw yellow, cloudy body with a small, white head with no retention and minimal lacing.

S: A pretty strong, orange peel smell with some yeasty, bready undertones that was not overwhelming, but still quite pleasant.

T: Taste does not even match up to the smell. A watered down, lemon-orange citrus peel with some hint of coriander spice in the aftertaste. Mostly tastes like nothing with only very subtle hints of flavor and complexity. No malts evident to balance off the orange and coriander, or even to back it up.

M: A fairly light and watery mouthfeel that was not too impressive.

D: Despite a poor taste, the mouthfeel makes the beer rather drinkable during the summer. I was hoping for a little more, but I was not impressed much at all. On the lighter, I can probably chug this beer or play beer pong with it, so it is not a complete waste.

2.85/5  rDev -5%

Got this one on tap at Tony Roma's at Universal Studio,tried something different,did'nt really know what i was getting into,but i was thirsty.Very hazy looking brew,cloudy off yellow,kinda like a urine sample,yeasty looking,some bubbles thin white head and mild lacing.Nose was of orange's,mild spice,Taste was not as bad as it looked,kinda tarty,with the orange flavor in there,spicey,yeasty,with wheat tinge,lite to medium mouthfeel to it,went down rather easily,thirst quencher,not really much for these wheat beers but this one i enjoyed it at the time,not something i'll go out of my way for but worth a try.

3.17/5  rDev +5.7%

Bought a bunch of beers for a friends bar-be-que and kept two of these for myself....

Thin white head, faded quick over a cloudy golden orange, as the brew kept bubbling.

Hmm, smells like an orange.

Hmm, tastes like an orange.

Light on the flavor, light body, is this a beer or a mimosa?

It's been a long day and this goes down pretty easy so excuse me while I pound this bottle and take another look (belch) at my second bottle.

Oh, I see. There's directions on the bottle (summarized):Pour it out except for the last 1/2 inch. Roll the bottle around, mixing up what's left, and dump into glass.

Reminds me of the JB Weld I used to patch a hole in my tranny pan. Anyways, I followed the directions for the second bottle and a nice head did foam up just like it said, then faded just as I suspected.

Great thirst quencher, not quite a great beer. The good news in this the easiest drinking 5.2% I've had. On a hot day I would MURDER many of these and be a bit toasty myself. It's a lot like orange soda...but with alcohol. Which means it does have a time and a place.

Overall: not for relaxing and enjoying but for drinking and drinking and drinking and....

2.46/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Served in a pint glass. Cloudy orange with 1/2" head that diminished to a ring with very little lacing that quickly fell back in. Very light orange aroma. Orange and coriander taste with some light breadiness. As it warmed up it started to smell of alcohol and the aftertaste was lingering alcohol. Lightly carbonated with a dry tartish finish. Left my tongue feeling grainy.

Pretty basic, orange and spice taste with w tiny bite on the end. Not impressive and got worse the further along I got until I finally gave up with about a third of it left in my glass. Not something I'll have again as it left a lot to be desired.

1.72/5  rDev -42.7%

I have to admit that I have a predisposition towards not liking Anheuser-Busch products, they've just never ever impressed me. Utterly dissapointing white ale. Completely average appearance, with dull uninspiring aroma (smelled just like Budweiser). Palate was medium to full, very dry for a wheat beer with a moderate astringent feel. Flavor was very acidic with a thankfully short finish.

3.41/5  rDev +13.7%

Had this on tap from a decent drink stand at the Projekt Revolution tour in Charlotte, NC.

A - Very very orange colored and very hazy. Only a finger or two of head from the tap, but it remained throughout the entire beer leaving some decent lacing.

S - There's a huge whiff of coriander (much like it's counterpart Blue Moon), along with a sour/sweet aroma coming from the wheat malt.

T - Surprisingly good. Coriander is evident from the beginning, and the wheat malt provides a refreshing twang that doesn't become overpowering. As the beer warmed in the intense heat outside, the coriander became less noticable, and the twang turned into a sweetness that reminded me of drinking a mixture of beer and orange juice.

M - Medium to high carbonation with a nice creaminess.

D - I enjoyed this beer, maybe even a hair better than Blue Moon though I'd have to compare them side by side. I'll probably pick up a sixer of this before the summer's out.

3.3/5  rDev +10%

This beer has one of the oddest, eye-popping taps around: a transmogrified orange with sunglasses and a mohawk. For $3 at a local bar, I took a whirl with this one. It came with an orange slice and while I typically hate fruit in beer I decided to just go with the flow. Glad I did. This beer tasted almost like a Sunkist soda. VERY orangey. I like Sunkist so I liked this beer. Not sure I could drink several but it was enjoyable. I was surprised when I got home to see that it's an Anheuser-Busch beer. You'd think it would be in more bars. It's better than most of that macro-brewery's selections for sho'. Simple, but pleasant. I actually like it better than the oddly much-lauded Blue Moon.

2.91/5  rDev -3%

Not a very good example of the style. Cloudy orange appearance was nice, but the smell and taste seemed way too sweet and overdone. Orange/citrus taste was overbearing and artificial. Medium body; somewhat crisp feel. Way too many superior Witbiers to bother with this again.

2.88/5  rDev -4%

On tap at some bar off Pioneer Square in Seattle.

Looks right with the cloudy yellow colour and the white head. The nose was kinda citrus but it was hard to tell. The beer is really too sweet for the style with not much of an aftertaste. I could not really drink much more than a 8oz glass which considering I love Wits for their drinkability says something

2.3/5  rDev -23.3%

There's a picture of an orange wedge wearing green tinted sunglasses and an orange mohawk. Anheuser-Busch Inc. presents "Shock Top Belgian White" a Belgian Style Wheat Ale Brewed With Spices. It goes on to say it's "Brewed with Orange, Lemon & Lime Peels and Coriander". My beer was born on 21 May 2008. Freshest taste within 110 days. I'll consider myself lucky then.

In all fairness the person who picked this out for me did so because she knows I enjoy Belgians and didn't realize it was a A-B product until we took them out of the fridge. I really appreciate her effort to choose a beer style she knew I enjoyed, it's absolutely the thought that counts.

I'm not going to go through all the components of a proper review. I taste some of the citrus and the coriander, as advertised.
The rest we'll file under "If you don't have something nice to say..."

3.29/5  rDev +9.7%

Picked up one of these from the singles cooler at the nearby packie. Not much of a selection and I'd never heard of this one so, what the hell? Had no idea it was an A-B product until I came on here. Cracking (or screwing) this one open after mowing the lawn in 95-degree heat (at least it's a dry heat today).

Pours a light golden yellow with a lot of haziness. Big, frothy white head with decent stickiness. Definitely an attractive looking beer. Good lacing on the glass as well.

Big orange aromas in the nose. Not picking up on the coriander as much as I'd normally expect to. Nothing offensive about the aroma -- just doesn't stand out for the style.

The taste is one of heavy wheat presence at the beginning and in the finish, which also presents a lingering yeast sensation. In the middle is orange, orange, orange. Not orange peel. But orange. Almost like orange juice or orange crush. Did i mention they overdid the orange? I guess the anthromorphic orange with the orange-peel mohawk/mullet on the bottle shoudl have given that away. Some very subtle, well, faint spice presence in the body too.

Mouthfeel is a little thick and fizzy for my tastes -- not as delicate and tingly as, say an Allagash White, or better yet a Blanche de Chambly or St. Bernardus Wit.

But all-in-all, a pretty drinkable beer as a refresher on a hot day like today. I could easily put away a few of these unless the overpowering orange sensation started to do me in and make me thirstier than I was before.

3.03/5  rDev +1%

Had this one on-tap on a hot summer night as it was the only decent offering available to me. I had never had this one so I decided to give it a shot.

A- Soapy, murky, and hazy light orange color. Thin off white head, no lacing. Thinned out after a few sips.

S- Earthy, wheaty, and zesty smell. Clean, soapy, citrusy scents abound as well.

T- Average. There was a sweet orange/lemon flavor here with some hints of vanilla cream. Wheat flavors were strong, grainy aftertaste.

M- Light and thin bodied with little carbonation.

D- Not a bad summer beer. Decent offering from AB.

3.6/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Twelve ounce bottle with recent "born on" date, pours a hazy lemonade colored(pale yellow) body with a small white head. Retention is good and there is some sheet lacing left on the glass.

Aroma has some spicy coriander and white pepper, embellished by a faint hint of citrusy lemon.

Light bodied, with an appropriate medium carbonation.

Taste opens with some lemon accents, followed by a wheat malt twang. Restrained notes of coriander and white pepper hint at a subtle spiciness. Clean all the way through.

A refreshing summer brew, for sure. A respectable effort by AB.

3.05/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Decent coloration with a slightly orange tint and a level 1 finger head on the top. Visually nice, but maybe a little too orange.

S - Average here with a little hint of spice, but not very full in the nose

T - Decent taste here, but not a stand out. Better IMO than Blue Moon, but still not as flavorful as some. Average for style.

M - Not a stand out here either, not alot to say about this.

D - Decent drinkability and fairly easy to put these down. I enjoyed the experience of trying a new beer that I had not had before, and would not turn this down if offered to me. Obviously not the best to style, but a decent effort at hitting the mark.

3.04/5  rDev +1.3%

I grabbed this really quickly, not realizing it was A-B. It was next to a 6-pack of Rogue Dead Guy in a grocery store with hardly any decent beer (of course). I was thinking this was Widmer's "Drop" Top...got it home and realized my error. But I'm not a Blue Moon-hater so I hoped maybe A-B would pull through with a decent American-style wit too...

Looks very promising, with a two-finger head of foam, a hazy banana-juice pale-yellow, and swaths of thin lace all over the glass... all of it equals a mighty mouth-watering looker of a beer.

Aroma is faint...maybe some orange, hardly any spice or yeast, decent wheat/cracker, and too much Lemon Joy ("it ain't just for dishwashin' anymore!").

Flavor is a bit soapy, but just enough lemon and orange come through, along with a timid bit of grain, to exert some kind of flavor profile. Finishes tart, also reminding of dishsoap. Just not enough spice or wheat action here...off-balance. Kind of puckery mouthfeel, light and airy though the overall texture leaves me with almost no impression other than the tart/pucker character.

One thing A-B does do right is the Born On Date. Too bad more brewers aren't into the full disclosure every discerning beer drinker deserves. Ironic that A-B does it, because I doubt your average Bud Light fan could give a shit. As for Shock Top: cool name and label, a worthwhile choice if you're faced with a cooler of A-B stuff in a pinch...and not their worst, by a long shot.

3.19/5  rDev +6.3%

Aroma: excessive sweetness(strong notes of honey with a hint of vanilla) mild, grainy, spiced wheat aroma, could use a bit more tartness. light hint of coriander, not nearly complex enough for the style, missing notes of herbs and spices and pepper in the background.

Appearance: Light golden orange, a little dark and not pale or white enough for the style but nice and cloudy as to be expected. medium to moderate white head with descent retention

Flavor: Nice sweet taste with a hint of honey and a very light touch of vanilla. Refreshing zesty citrus orange/lemon/lime finish a bit over powering on the orange and not nearly tart or dry enough. The lightest hint of coriander and maybe some grains of paradise. Little to no hop bitterness is present.

Mouthfeel: Light body, light amount of creaminess, slightly sweet finish with lingering notes of white wheat. Highly carbonated, refreshing but not tart.

Overall: good example of a classic belgian wit considering its from a domestic brewing giant.

3.1/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at Kabobs on Lake Hopatcong.

A: Hazy orange honey color, puffy white head.

S: typically wit, lots of citrus, mostly orange -- smells like orange juice with a zing.

T: Almost a mirror image of Blue Moon. Orange, orange, oragne, add a slice of orange and it's too much orange.

M: Semi-thick and slick.

D: Of course it's drinkable, it's mass produced wit, you can't go wrong -- unless you're looking for quality coupled with drinkability.

A-B's direct competition to Blue Moon, and they aren't discernable between eachother. This is the modern chick beer.

3.33/5  rDev +11%

Cloudy pale golden with an inch high head of white bubbly foam. Low aroma of biscuity malt and some lemon, slightly hoppy.

Flavor of mild wheat malt, some citrusy freshness, bits of lemon and ripe fruit, just a touch of pepper.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thin, a little slick, some carbonation tingle in the finish.

Pretty nondescript, pretty harmless, not terrible, but I probably won't seek it out again.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch