Shock Top Belgian White - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,349 | Reviews: 819
2.86/5  rDev -2.7%

Always see this one sitting lonely at the corner of the cooler. Only non-MGD/BL product at this place... figured it's worth a try.

Poured a very light golden amber color that was heavily clouded. Small off white head that disappeared quickly.

Smell was very minimal. Just a slightest hint of citrus. A very mild witbier, with not much character.

The taste replicated the smell. A small note of wheat and even less citrus. Taste fleeted quickly.

The drinkability is decent. With such a lackluster concentrate, this beer could be consumed by the dozen if your looking for something not full-bodied. This one is a cheap, quick thrill. Definitely not characteristic of a good Belgian wheat. Does have a macro twist to it.

Do yourself a favor and go with a Hoegarrden or some other good representation!

2.39/5  rDev -18.7%

A. Poured into a 12 oz. plastic "glass" at a Steelers game. Pale yellow with a decent head.

S. Very light citrus and spice.

T. A pretty bland tasting beer really. Very little to taste, faint grains, even fainter wheat, and just a bit of orange citrusy hoeggarden like wit taste.

M. Somewhat smooth and bland to the palate.

D. Overall this is average drinking at best. Surely beats most if not all other AB products, but I will be leary of this one as well..

3.55/5  rDev +20.7%

Saw it was an AB product since I was curious about the brewery before I bought it. My immediate thought was that this had to be their response to Coors Blue Moon.

Yes, it is trying to imitate a witbier, but even Blue Moon doesn't do that fully, since there is a significant difference, I think, between Hoegaarden and Blue Moon. I like Blue Moon, so I thought I'd try this...

Appearance: Looks like a Blue Moon. Very little head retention.

Aroma: Pretty mild, I can detect citrus and the aroma of a wheat beer is there...not too strong though. Barely.

Taste: The citrus is a little too much, as another reviewer pointed out, its like drinking orange soda. At least they didn't copy Blue Moon straight up.

Overall, this is drinkable, and isn't too expensive, but its not worth my money to get it again. My roommate seems to love this one though, so I guess I'll be having it occasionally since its there.

Not disgusting or offensive, but not WOW either.

2.86/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I kept seeing this around and thought it was a local. Of course, I was way off (thanks A-B).

Appearance - Pretty decent. A nice cloudiness with a straw color and just a touch of head. So far, so good.

Smell - A little funky. But more in the "skunky" category than the "funky belgian" variety. Sort of bilge-ish.

Taste - Very much average. A little citrus, a little sweeter than I'd otherwise prefer. A little bit of a Busch-aftertaste. Sort of like if you gussied up a Coors.

Mouthfeel - Pretty average. Nothing special, but some decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Fairly strong, all things considered. I know the review seems a little harsh, but as much as anything it was mild. I dunno, how many Stroh's or Miller Lite's can I drink? I find those beers pretty drinkable, and I can see downing a couple of Shock Tops if they were hanging around (and they are).

My fellow reviewers make a good point. I had this beer pegged higher, and thought folks were being snobbish at first. Then the palate adjusted, and the beer warmed a touch, and it went from "pretty decent" to "entirely average".

3.05/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance - arrives at the table with a small creamy-looking head covering a cloudy yellowish straw beer. Fine head retention though it didn't really lace like I thought it might.

Aroma - sweet, wheaty, soft citrus. About what I was expecting.

Taste - smooth easygoing grains to open. A decent wheat presence and a really nice little burst of orange on the swallow. After several sips, the palate adjusts and the beer goes a little bland. It's still okay, but it tastes like a diluted Blue Moon after some warming occurs.

Mouthfeel - a good smooth beer, the carbonation is mellowed as well.

Drinkability - an average wit; I'd prefer a Blue Moon os Sunset Wheat to this, but wouldn't turn it down.

2.46/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Cloudy, light orange body topped with a two-finger head, white and quickly dissipating. Thin lacing clings desperately to the glass. Nose is mellow wheat yeast, citrus, a touch of citrus zest, some mossiness, and a nearly imperceptible hint of coriander. Taste is pale wheat, orange and lemon. Goes down easy, with coriander emerging and a dry and short finish. Good carbonation but the body is thin to the point it's unenjoyable. Overall, not bad, refreshing, but lacks character and surpassed by nearly every other beer in the category.

3.8/5  rDev +29.3%

A - A hazy light orange color. Contains a good deal of carbonation with adequate (though quickly dissapating) head. When served in the proper glassware and viewed in proper lighting, a condensated glass of Shock Top could be mistaken for a light colored cup of orange juice.

S - A smell typical of wheat beers with a definate blast of orange.

T - Strong blast of orange when served on-tap, but not so strong out of bottle. This beer is a definate white beer with all the typical wheat flavor characteristics.

M - This beer is a tad thin, but very refreshing.

D - Excellent on-tap, so-so when bottled. Either way, this beer is a very refreshing brew.

Shock Top is a beer that should not be overlooked just because it is branded with the Anheuser-Busch logo. In fact, I would have never even guessed this was an Anheuser brew until I inspected the label on the bottle.

This beer certainly stands up to other mass-produced American white ales.

3.3/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz brown bottle poured into a mug

Shock Top Belgian White poured a cloudy golden color with a 2-finger white head that dissipated rather quickly. Aroma and taste is of light citrus, [orange and lemon flavors] wheat, coriander and a little yeast. Mouth feel is medium at most to a little thin when compared to a true Belgian. Shock Top is clean, crisp and has a refreshing finish with carbonation that fits the style.

Shock Top is Anheuser-Busch's answer to Coors popular Blue Moon. I feel that Blue Moon has a slight more flavor than Shock Top. A good [beginning] introduction to a Belgian style white ale [wit bier].

2.16/5  rDev -26.5%

Hazy yellow color with a fluffy head that for some reason doesn't impress me too much. The smell is of citrus fruits. The taste is is similar...it's nice but it lacks a lot of character...not bad but not great. This seems just like a standard, run-of-the-mill Witbier.

Light bodied.

I actually didn't know it as AB unitll now...just FYI for myself.

3.52/5  rDev +19.7%

Pale, cloudy sort of yellow color. Nice aroma-somewhat spicy and a tinge of orange. Clean and crisp flavor-slight level of belgian yeastiness. Mellow spice-some coriander and orange-very minimal but it is there. Good mouthfeel-very crisp and somewhat dry. Enjoyable enough beer, not overly offensive as far as wit beers go. Training wheel beers I like to call these. Not my style to begin with but enjoyable enough on a hot day. I dont care for the slick packaging.

2.1/5  rDev -28.6%

So I was in the mid-west on business and the place I had diner had this tap handle I've never seen. I swear I reviewed this beer without knowing that it was an AB product. Had I known, never would have oredered it. But here are my notes:

Spicy wheat aroma with light citurs and a little honey. Oberall not very aromatic, everything is very light.

Yellow, too dark for style, very clear, big thick head.

There's a little wheat flavor in the malt and some honey. Lacking any spice flavor at all and no yeast esters. It's a very clean beer with just a touch of wheat and not Wit identity at all.

Pretty thin even for the style. lively carbonation but that makes it seem even more airy with no substance.

Not sure what the deal is with this beer. There are plenty of adequate Wits on the market and even a few really good ones. I would not have this again. Boring.

1.46/5  rDev -50.3%

Wow.... I thought, "heck! I've never even heard of this beer. Let's get it! We love witbiers!"
Oh, wow.
It poured badly and grew worse. It was only after my tasting of it and utter confusion as to how someone could possibly make such a bad attempt of a white belgian, that a friend pointed out that it is made by Michelob.
A>Scary orange color with a big lagerfoam head.
Smell> shockingly unlike any witbier you have had. Has all of the metallic notes of a nattylight.
Taste> hard to review since it lacks almost any.
Mouf> <shudder>
Drinkability> Would probably give this less if i could. I haven't felt this strongly since I had my last lightstruck beer... only this one didn't taste skunked, just super weak.

2.62/5  rDev -10.9%

A- pale dirty golden with a typical AB head, doesn't seem to be much wheat protein.

S- nose is dominated by coriander and some orange peel, a little wheat and raw grains.

T- same as aroma only grainier, alot of coriander, too much.

MF- ultra fizzy and light, lacks substance. is this all in my head? no.

D- not world class, but it would have higher drink points if the MF wasn't so off-putting.

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Poured out a cloudy, golden yellow color with a fizzy, white, two-finger head. No lace.

S - It smelled of citrus and lemon. Some wheat notes.

T - The taste is really dominated by wheat flavors. Some citrus flavors, too.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A fairly fizzy, light-bodied beer.

D - This is okay. Doesn't taste like a true wit, more like an American Pale Wheat.

2.63/5  rDev -10.5%

I liked the color of this beer: a vibrant looking orange, wheat beer. Much better looking than I was expecting from an AB product. No real head to speak of.

Not a bad scent. A very sweet smelling wheat beer was a nice change of pace in the world of wheat brews. Again, more than I was expecting.

I did not really enjoy the taste, though I must say I enjoyed it more than I was expecting (sorry to be repetitive). If I had to select an AB product to drink, I would probably go with this one over the others I have had to date. While an average tasting wheat brew, what I did not like was how this beer tasted very much like an orange soda after the first few sips. That combined with the appearance made me think I was having a soda pop. A decent hint of alcohol was present.

Because this tasted like orange soda to me, I was not impressed with the mouthfeel or drinkability. Not something I would ever go out of my way to have again, but worth trying once for the experience.

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Pours 2 fingers of frothy white head with ok retention and very little lacing. The beer is very cloudy giving it a very pale yellowish/orange color with lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Coriander, orange, lemon and some wheat malts make up the aroma.

M - A light-bodied beer with a wet watery feel to it. It has moderate carbonation.

T - Some wheat malts in the front followed by some spices and then a burst of orange flavor in the end. A little too much orange on the finish in my opinion.

A decent interpretation of the Witbier. The best AB "craft beer" I have tried thus far. Very easy to drink, great for summer/spring.

2.92/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured out of a twist off undated 12oz bottle

A - Pours a light gold color with lots of haze. This one has been sitting around, so a ton of yeast was in the bottle which has appeared as "floaties" in the beer. Very little head.

S - Does this have a smell? Not much at all there. The lightest hint of spice, such as clove/coriander, is present.

T - At first its a light balance of some malt notes, bitterness, and the spices. Not much orange in this part of the flavor - that comes later. The midstream is somewhat flat. Finishes with a quite potent orange flavor. Way too strong in my opinion.

M - Body is solid - perhaps more than most witbiers I would appreciate. However, I would say the mouthfeel is akin to the St. Bernardus that I'm not much of a fan of either.

D- Easy drinking, not overly thick, low ABV. Typical target beer for AB. Not that its a bad thing for me once in a while.

Okay beer that I could drink when better choices are not available. I do applaud AB for trying to get some variety in their approach.

2.51/5  rDev -14.6%

Freshness date on the bottle, always love these and wish every bottle had one. One finger pure white head quickly faded to a thin layer atop my brew. Cloudy banana yellow color. Aromas are a little muted and the citrus is hard to detect (esp for beer sporting an orange with sunglasses and a Mohawk on the label). The flavors are a little more defined and the orange does come though along with some lime peel underneath and a little wheat. Too sweet for the style and the spices are hard to detect but it does get better as it warms up. Light body and a pleasant mouthfeel but carbonation is little too vibrant. Good effort for A-B and a good alternative for those who do drink A-B products and want some variation.

3.37/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow with a lot of sediment in the glass. No real head or lacing

Smell: Orange, malt, and banana is hidden in there as well. A lot better on the nose than I was expecting.

Taste: Lemon and orange peel and some spice. A bit of a bitter aftertaste and a heavy bitter orange taste at the end.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is high and really geels good in the mouth.

Drinkability: I didnt know it was an AB product till I looked at the lable (which is why I picked it up anyway). I could drink quite a few of these on a hot day and being over %5 ABV I would enjoy it.

3.18/5  rDev +8.2%

This is a nice effort for a major Brewing company, but it has that thin watery pilsner flavor underneath. It's like a Bud Ice with spices, I don't seem to get the feel, flavor, or texture of an actual ale with this one.

I'd pick this up for a special occasion where I had a cookout with too many guests to get a craft Beer from smaller breweries (they tend to spend more time with their brews since distribution is smaller).

It has enough character to beat out all of the Bud and Busch stuff, but Long Trail does a nicer job with a Belgian Ale for the price range.

Allagash White from Portland, ME (New England/Northeast bias aside) is strictly the best American interpretation of this style so far. I'm eager to find some others. This is worth a try on a hot summer day chilled (room temp doesn't suit this too well).

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Now Listening to: Gruff Rhys - Rhagluniaeth Ysgafn

I didn't even know that this was an AB beer when I ordered it in CT. I had never seen it before. But AB or not, I knew that this beer was a bit of a mess. The taste slams you with its overpowering spice. This beer is to witbier as pizza filled Combos are to real pizza. It runs down a check list of elements to qualify it as a witbier, without any attention to the quality of these elements or how they work together. The best thing about this was the mouthfeel, because it was light enough on the palate to be passable for most people on hot summer nights.

2.87/5  rDev -2.4%

An interesting pale hue of cloudy golden orange. There was some white soapy suds on the top that quickly faded. No lacing to note.

The aroma was interesting. I would not let them serve this with the 'mandatory' orange slice that they wanted to include but I swear there was still a faint hint of orange on the nose. Odd because I sure didn't taste any orange. Some light wheat & malt did make it past the orange but that was about it. A pleasant aroma, if not very traditional.

Well, the taste wasn't what I was expecting after such a fruity nose. This tasted like a cross between a wheat beer and a grand cru - some spice, some notes of lemon zest, and a little wheat chafe, but overall rather weak on the palate. Everything sort of falls apart on the tongue and leaves you with a watery, somewhat bitter finish.

I was very hot and thirsty when I purchased this and the first few sips did the trick of quenching my thirst. After about half a glass though as the brew warmed up, it got harder and harder to get it down. The last quarter was just a straight up shot - finally gone.

I guess I'm just turning into a beer snob a bit but I really didn't care for this. There are so many other representations of the style that are so much better. My advice would be to check the others out first if you can.

2.77/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a shaker glass.

A: Pours an orange-straw yellow, cloudy body with a small, white head with no retention and minimal lacing.

S: A pretty strong, orange peel smell with some yeasty, bready undertones that was not overwhelming, but still quite pleasant.

T: Taste does not even match up to the smell. A watered down, lemon-orange citrus peel with some hint of coriander spice in the aftertaste. Mostly tastes like nothing with only very subtle hints of flavor and complexity. No malts evident to balance off the orange and coriander, or even to back it up.

M: A fairly light and watery mouthfeel that was not too impressive.

D: Despite a poor taste, the mouthfeel makes the beer rather drinkable during the summer. I was hoping for a little more, but I was not impressed much at all. On the lighter, I can probably chug this beer or play beer pong with it, so it is not a complete waste.

2.85/5  rDev -3.1%

Got this one on tap at Tony Roma's at Universal Studio,tried something different,did'nt really know what i was getting into,but i was thirsty.Very hazy looking brew,cloudy off yellow,kinda like a urine sample,yeasty looking,some bubbles thin white head and mild lacing.Nose was of orange's,mild spice,Taste was not as bad as it looked,kinda tarty,with the orange flavor in there,spicey,yeasty,with wheat tinge,lite to medium mouthfeel to it,went down rather easily,thirst quencher,not really much for these wheat beers but this one i enjoyed it at the time,not something i'll go out of my way for but worth a try.

3.17/5  rDev +7.8%

Bought a bunch of beers for a friends bar-be-que and kept two of these for myself....

Thin white head, faded quick over a cloudy golden orange, as the brew kept bubbling.

Hmm, smells like an orange.

Hmm, tastes like an orange.

Light on the flavor, light body, is this a beer or a mimosa?

It's been a long day and this goes down pretty easy so excuse me while I pound this bottle and take another look (belch) at my second bottle.

Oh, I see. There's directions on the bottle (summarized):Pour it out except for the last 1/2 inch. Roll the bottle around, mixing up what's left, and dump into glass.

Reminds me of the JB Weld I used to patch a hole in my tranny pan. Anyways, I followed the directions for the second bottle and a nice head did foam up just like it said, then faded just as I suspected.

Great thirst quencher, not quite a great beer. The good news in this the easiest drinking 5.2% I've had. On a hot day I would MURDER many of these and be a bit toasty myself. It's a lot like orange soda...but with alcohol. Which means it does have a time and a place.

Overall: not for relaxing and enjoying but for drinking and drinking and drinking and....

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch