2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light Lime - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light LimeBud Light Lime

awful

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Bud Light Lime is brewed using a combination of barley malts, non-malted cereal grains, subtle hopping and natural lime flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2008)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Ratings: 1,697 | Reviews: 491 | Show All Ratings:
TequilaGeorge

3.43/5  rDev +58.1%

While reading the wide range of reviews on so many beers, I realized what is missing in our evaluation is the ability to identify the occasion for enjoying one beer over another. It is not only the complexity of the beer that needs to be considered, it is also the complexity of the person providing the evaluation. When I hit the reviews on Bud Light Lime, I just had to chime in, here.

I am lucky enough to have several taps at my home. I currently have my Bud Light Lime tap (BA 58/Bros 61) sitting side by side with my Founder's Centennial IPA tap (BA 92/Bros 99), and I enjoy them both, under different circumstances.

While power-washing the deck or cutting the lawn in the hot sun, the last thing I would like to do is pound down a few glasses of a higher ABV (strong) and higher IBU (hoppy) beer. ...I have done that before, and ended up unsafe to handle lawn equipment. :) In this circumstance, my palate is not seeking a rich, thick, hoppy, strong, brew, but, my body wants a different refreshment.

On the flip side, when I am relaxing on my deck with guests and a nice cigar, I may want to take the time to taste the nuances and sophistication imbued into the beer and see how I can pair that with the best of my cigars, I might select my Founder's, or Chimay, or an Allagash Curieux.

I realize this site is intended to rate the beers according to the match of their original style, likely tasted or consumed in more of the relaxing, elegant manner noted above, but, the wording used on many of these reviews suggest they are not conducted with such sophistication.

For these reasons, unless the beer is an obvious brewing mistake (cleaner labelled as beer) or is completely offensive because of a particular character (skunked), I am reluctant to see how any rating can be less than average. I would also like to see more details as to why the ratings were above average, or defined as world class.

So... How does this beer stack up against others of the same nature? In this case, Bud Light Lime is crisp, clean, refreshing and does not over-do the lime to where it is perfume scented. It is a light beer, and does not have the characteristics of a normal brew and it may be lighter / thinner / watery than other ordinary lager lights, too. It seems to be a beer for those that might not care for the ordinary beer malt or hoppy tastes and can taste refreshing and cooling when you want to be cooled and refreshed. It is not for those seeking a sophisticated taste over their palate, but, it serves the role of a cool, refreshing, lime infused, light beer (its role) very well.

So many beers, so little time!

George

03-25-2012 14:40:04 | More by TequilaGeorge
psuKinger

2.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Draft pour into a standard curved-rim pint glass.

A: "Fizzy yellow beer", that poured with a fairly large fluffy white head initially, but it disappeared without a trace, almost immediately.

If I hold my beer up to the TV, I can still watch the game. Can almost make out the down-and-distance, too.

S: Mild cereal sweetness is overwhelmed by a stronger (all-be-it still rather mild) smell of lime juice.

T: It's Bud Light Lime, what is there to say? The lime juice is what makes this beer work. It's ALL that this beer has going for it. That said, the lime does work well here, in that it helps balance out the sweetness with a bit of *sour*, and also helps this beer finish a bit *dry*.

Underneath the lime? It's just another unbalanced, overly-sweet, flavorless adjunct lager. The lime helps mask that. If you like Lime, and you like "beer", then you probably won't hate this.

M: Thin. Light. Watery. Slightly undercarbonated. My CO2 tank is low... I hope it's not THIS low, I've got other "good" stuff hooked up to that tank too.

A mild hint of lime remains on the finish. Again, that's what this beer has to offer. Lime.

D/O: This is a drinkable beer, particularly on a warm summer day. For what it is, the Lime addition actually works rather well here. I would score this beer above Bud Light, for whatever that's worth.

11-19-2011 19:43:53 | More by psuKinger
wcudwight

2.75/5  rDev +26.7%

Paler than pale yellow. Thin wispy white head. Smells like lime. Doesn't smell like beer at all but it does smell like lime. Taste like Sprite. Hey I like the taste of Sprite so this is much better than I was expecting. Not much mouthfeel at all. A little bit of carbonation. Wait, I can't really feel it in my mouth. It is drinkable and it's refreshing. It was actually very good at the minor league ball game I was attending and it was free to boot. To be the only beer available it could have been worse. It could have been regular Bud Light.

06-06-2010 02:59:52 | More by wcudwight
Schmittymack

Colorado

1.3/5  rDev -40.1%

Had this on tap at Old Chicago Westminster as their Store Choice on the Cinco De Mayo mini-tour (Greg or Kevin, what WERE you thinking??)
I ordered this not knowing what the choice was, wanting to finish the mini tour.

Anyway, I was a gamer to at least give this a whirl. When Mike brought it to my table, shaking his head, apologizing for not warning me what selection #8 on mini tour was, I saw a typical yellow fizzy brew I could just about read my newspaper through. I thought to myself, "ok, this is gonna be like Bud Light. I can do this as even though I wouldn't buy BL, I can get one down." There was very little carbonation in the glass and very little aroma. I took a sip and said to myself, yes, this is a Bud Light. Very thin mouthful and very little taste. I swallowed the sip, thinking I'd get through the shaker glassful. Then it hit me: God-awful over-powering lime flavor. I took a sip of water to cleanse the pallot, and tried again. Yep, same thing at first, then that NASTY lime flavor hit. This time several sips of water couldn't get rid of the nasty aftertaste. My girlfriend said the lime taste reminded her of some kind of medicine she took as a child. I choked down one shaker of this monstroscity; she couldn't do more than one sip of her's and I couldn't finish it for her. Don't know what AB was thinking but this one is definitely not worth the time and effort to brew. Warning, Will Robinson. Danger, Danger. Avoid this one!!

04-17-2010 08:56:39 | More by Schmittymack
nickd717

1.02/5  rDev -53%

I figure I should follow my review for Black Tuesday with one for this beer. I expected this to be on the same level as BT after hearing such great things about it, but unfortunately I ended up being a bit let down.

I tried this at the GABF. A guy asked me what I thought of it as I was making a disgusted face. I said I really wasn't a big fan and didn't know how this could even be called beer. Then I saw his nametag saying he was an Anheuser-Busch employee. He said that he honestly didn't like it much either. Oh well, at least he was honest and I didn't need to snap back at him with my usual Joe Wilson-inspired, "YOU LIE!!!"

A - Pale yellow with a fizzy white head, just like Bud Light.

S - Oh, the humanity. Smells like nasty imitation lime juice and not much else.

T - Nasty artificial lime juice and Bud Light. Someone told me that this really isn't that bad if you don't consider it beer. I disagree - it's absolutely disgusting no matter what you consider it, even if you consider it urine or sewage. Well, I guess it's probably average for sewage, but I've certainly tried better urine.

M - Light with very high carbonation like a spritzer. Unpleasantly high carbonation. Really nothing good you can say about it in this category.

D - Taking a second sip was one of the most difficult things I have ever done, but I actually ended up forcing myself to take 3 or 4 before giving the rest to my girlfriend, who somehow only thought it was bad, rather than mind-blowingly awful.

Overall, this is an impressive offering from A-B, and here's why: they keep pushing the absolute boundary of how bad you can make a beer and use their incredible marketing power to make it outsell the entire craft brewing industry. They could probably make Natty Light Tapeworm Infested Pig Feces and have it break 1% overall beer market share. Whoever the ad wizards who came up with this one are, they truly are "real men of genius."

09-28-2009 17:23:47 | More by nickd717
phartman133

2.5/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Pours a small head. If you are a fan of drinking beer with a lime in it, you may enjoy this beer. It is an alright alternative than actually cutting a lime and sticking it into your beer. I would say it is more for the summer, so crack one open on a hot summer day

04-23-2014 15:03:15 | More by phartman133
DavidGross

A - very light yellow, almost clear
S - gagging fake lime
T - horrible, mix of artificial lime and bud lite
M - very watery
O - glad i only had a drink of this. It was horrible.
My buddy drinks this for breakfast at the Spring Bristol race and I took a hit. was gut wrenching, no matter what time of day. I would rate this less than 1.0 if available.

04-14-2014 02:19:56 | More by DavidGross
TheOneCleanHippy

Connecticut

This barely qualifies as beer to begin with. What little taste there is to be had is a disgusting slightly lime taste that leaves a horrible tangy feeling in your mouth afterwards. The rest is just watery. The massive carbonation attempts to hide the fact that this beer literally tastes like urine but fails completely to do so. Everything about this beer is unpleasant and I am genuinely amazed that anyone buys it.

03-18-2014 02:05:29 | More by TheOneCleanHippy
Fatehunter

Oregon

2.64/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours one finger of head on a one clear, light yellow colored body.
The aroma is lots of lime. Like a lime Slurpee.
The taste is quite limey too. Not a hint of a beer flavor in there. It's not too sweet either.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It doesn't taste bad, it just doesn't taste like beer. It's an alcoholic lime drink.

03-17-2014 09:03:54 | More by Fatehunter
nicholas2121

2.35/5  rDev +8.3%

Bud Light Lime brewed by Anheuser-Busch. This brew pours out a nice amber color. There is little to no head to this brew, but it is white head. This beer smells like 7 UP or other lemon lime pop or soda on the market. The taste is the same as the smell but flat lemon lime pop or soda. I thought there would be more to this brew but there is not. If you like lemon lime soda or pop you my like this. Nothing special about this brew. Over all I'm giving this brew a 2.5 out of 5.

03-10-2014 02:11:05 | More by nicholas2121
Retroman40

Kentucky

2.84/5  rDev +30.9%

I bought this in a 25 ounce (one extra ounce promotion) can that AB/InBev is selling right now for my beer can collection. Poured it into a chilled pint glass.

A - Pretty standard macro lager pale yellow with a big but fleeting head that retreated to slight lacing throughout.

S - The lime dominated the smell with a faint hint of cereal.

T - This is closer to Sprite or 7-Up than beer. Surprisingly it is quite refreshing.

M - Very sweet and watery - like a soda.

O - Had this with homemade Mexican food and it wasn't that bad. I could see this (at the right price of course) as being a great "lawnmower" or other manual labor on a hot day type beer. The low alcohol content certainly makes it a candidate for mass consumption but I have to wonder if you'd tire of the lime flavor.

01-17-2014 10:42:36 | More by Retroman40
epim00

1.68/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Is lime that hard to cut? This just doesn't seem like much of an added value. I've lived in cold climates, and lime is still available pretty much year round. No matter how awful the fruit looks, it's gotta be better than what Bud or InBev synthesizes.

01-02-2014 22:46:26 | More by epim00
a0lbudman

Alabama

3.21/5  rDev +47.9%

A-pale gold color with a white head that leaves some lace
S-lime and sweet grain smell
T-sweet grain with lime that leaves a slight tart lime aftertaste
M-light body
O-tonight is light lager night. I like the idea that real limes are used with this beer. So it is a Bud Light that has real limes in it. I have to say it taste better with e lime in it.

12-29-2013 02:45:44 | More by a0lbudman
angrybabboon

Rhode Island

2.15/5  rDev -0.9%

Received a bottle of this from someone who was cleaning/closing up a lake house for the winter. Cheers?

Review adapted from notes taken 11/2/13

Appearance: Crystal clear golden yellow - might even have some more color than Bud Light - unexpectedly low carbonation (shocking for an A-B) product, fades to virtually no head, no lacing

Smell: More or less smells exactly like the label of the beer would suggest - this is Bud Light with some sweetened lime juice - extremely pale, extremely light malts and grains at the base, not much going on - the lime aroma is far from subtle, it's very much in your face (or up your nose, whatever) - kind of like real, sweetened lime juice, and kind of artificial, like some kind of sugary, fake lime syrup you'd dump on a snow cone or lime Jello- regardless of the characteristics of the "lime," it's decidedly sweet - not terrible, assuming you like lime

Taste: Bud Light with a squirt of lime syrup - not much else to say - extremely pale malts, light corn, light grains, and some sugar - tons of lime - sweetened lime juice and artificial lime syrup, as the smell suggested - somewhat candy-like overall, but unexpectedly not disgusting (I wouldn't call it "good" though)

Mouthfeel: Legitimately better than Bud Light - light body, mostly clean and crisp - reasonable amount of carbonation - drinkable if you can handle the lime

Overall: Considering how many things are wrong with this beer, it could definitely be worse

This is not an abomination. In some ways, it's actually more interesting than Bud Light. While Bud Light has no flavor, this at least has some lime. Above all, I'm curious why this beer still exists. Does this appeal to people looking for that "OMG drinking Corona with lime is like I'm really on the beach" demographic? I wish that demographic didn't exist. On a related note, I would rather drink this than Corona (lime or not). Or does this appeal to the "I'm underage and I don't like beer but this doesn't taste like beer LOL" crowd? Whatever. One thing is certain: I now really need to review the masterpiece known as Bud Light Lime-A-Rita.

11-03-2013 19:44:43 | More by angrybabboon
BucannonXC5

3.38/5  rDev +55.8%

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Frosty pint glass
From: Walmart in Fayetteville, N.C.
Price: N/A
Purchased: N/A
Consumed: Oct. 15, 2013
Misc.: My younger brother bought a 12-pack

Poured a honey golden clear color with 1-to-2 fingers of off-white head. Minimal lacing on the sides of the glass. Almost no retention, but lots of bubbles.

Smelled lime zest, pine, soapy, honey and some caramel malts.

Tasted similar to the nose, not too potent. Lime zest, pine, less soapy than the smell, kiwi, light tropical notes and faint caramel.

Light body. Thin texture. Average-to-soft carbonation. Abrupt, clean, refreshing finish.

I’ve had this beer many times but this was my first time rating it. It wasn’t too bad I have to say. Dare I say I enjoyed it?

10-21-2013 03:44:57 | More by BucannonXC5
rjcohen

3.01/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Like many other people here, I won't give a detailed review, but I will share some of my general thoughts on this beer.

Bud Light Lime is one of my primary guilty pleasure beers. I don't enjoy Bud Light or Budweiser or most of the other mass-produced cheap beers, and BLL is not a great beer either. What makes it moderately enjoyable is that it really doesn't even taste like beer at all (and I enjoy the flavor of beer of course, but if BLL did taste like beer, it would be Bud Light, and nobody wants that.)

The lime flavor in BLL is overpowering, and it's not too bad - it does taste like lime, not too artificial. Drinking BLL is definitely not a deep beer-drinking experience, but if I ever do want something cheap, or something to just get me a little drunker, it is one of the first things I will reach for, although because the flavor is so strong, it's tough to have a lot of it in one go, but I suppose once you're drunk enough you can get a regular cheapo lager and not tell the difference.

10-09-2013 16:46:15 | More by rjcohen
mikethebeerguy

Maryland

2.5/5  rDev +15.2%

When you pour milk in your fruitloops and eat all the fruitloops, you have fruity milk left over to drink. When you pour bud light in your fruitloops and eat all your fruitloops you have bud light lime left to drink. I know a lot of very smart and respectable people who really like this brew, but I'm not one of the. I would not recommend this beer.

09-11-2013 02:48:03 | More by mikethebeerguy
anon

1.33/5  rDev -38.7%

Well, it was in a can, so couldn't see much! I'd expect it to pretty much be average piss color.

Not much to say about the smell; average, some sort of lime-ish scent. Nothing special at all. Taste was okay (at first), but seemed very artificial, and became far too overpowering after a few drinks. Was expecting a subtle lime taste, but definitely not the case here. Awful. Not sure if the can had something to do with this, but I'll possibly have to review this again later after trying it in a bottle.

09-10-2013 02:28:26 | More by anon
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

2.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Sampled on 9/1/13. Chilled down to 36 degrees in my beer cooler. Poured into a pool ball pilsner glass.Pours a golden-yellow with a small foamy head. Very little lacing was seen. LOTS of bubbles were seen rising up from the bottom of the glass, due to excessive carbonation. The aroma is of some grain and lime. The taste is of mostly lime, which covers up the grain flavor actually. A bit much and more so that the 'Miller Chill" that I had earlier. Was water-down and doesn't taste like real lime.

09-03-2013 16:30:11 | More by BeerWithMike
yeastlovehoppiness_greg

Iowa

1.69/5  rDev -22.1%

This beer is pretty terrible. if you can call it beer. It smells like laundry soap. Seriously, that is the first thing i thought when I smelled it. It's light and fizzy like most other american mass produced beers. It's about as smooth as water if you call that smooth

08-21-2013 00:54:25 | More by yeastlovehoppiness_greg
KYGunner

Kentucky

2.1/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into a pint it had excessive carbonation around the glass and a strange green tint in color. The head was strong, thick and mounted well but was lost quickly in the pop of carbonated bubbling.

The scent is somewhat artificial but all sweet lime. Almost unnatural in aroma it's a lot like the lime shaped lime juice dispensers you get at the grocery store.

The taste is a lot of lime and holds no real beer qualities. Absent of malt, grain or even adjuncts this is a lot of lime.

The feel is very crisp from all the carbonation and is super easy. The problem on feel is that it carries the unnatural lime sourness through the taste.

08-12-2013 00:59:08 | More by KYGunner
Gmann

2.61/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours an extremely pale straw color with a short wispy white head that settles into mere nothingness

The aroma is of sweet lime. Similar to what you would find in a powdered lime-aide mix. Some light grain aroma as well.

The taste is of lime. It's quite strong and not as sweet as in the aroma. The lime covers up a lot of the flaws in the base beer. The vegetal flavors seem masked and only a light grainy flavor comes through. Tastes like a lime spritzer.

The feel is light with fizzy carbonation. Sweet on the palate but finishes a tad dry. Might work well as a palate cleanser.

I like it better than Bud Light. The lime does add a refreshing character to it. The lime flavor can get cloying so I would only drink as a palate cleanser.

07-28-2013 19:39:46 | More by Gmann
ricchezza

2.34/5  rDev +7.8%

The beer pours a very transparent straw yellow; almost no visible carbonation and leaves no lacing in the glass.

This drink is all lime in aroma and flavor. Almost candy-like as it doesn’t have a natural lime tartness/sourness; it’s a touch syrupy. No malt or hop character at all.

07-26-2013 13:17:37 | More by ricchezza
Eddie_Padilla

2.95/5  rDev +35.9%

Since when did miller lite change their name to bud light lime? Was there suppose to be lime flavor in it? Because it had not even a hint of lime. But enough about that, it's not bad, but I'll just order a miller lite next time I go to that restaurant.

06-18-2013 21:42:56 | More by Eddie_Padilla
Beric

Indiana

2.75/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Serving: Can, from the can
Served: April 2013

Going from memory on this one.

Appearance: I had this from the can, but a friend of mine poured three into a German Maßkrug and went to town. Looks like a sort of sickly pale yellow. Not very appealing. No head to speak of (but is it even supposed to have a head?).

Smell: Smells heavily of lime, with a bit of 'beery' bitterness mixed in for good measure.

Taste: This one isn't supposed to taste like 'beer' so I won't even go there. For what it is, it isn't bad. It's basically like a cheap version of Corona and Lime, with the cheap beer and lime already mixed together. Except you don't need to pay import prices on this one! Yay! Tastes like lime juice with some beer bitterness thrown in to keep you sucking down on those cans.

Mouthfeel: Mega-carbonated, kind of like a soda. Makes you forget that you're drinking something pretty thin.

Overall: For what it is, this does the job. I'd rather be drinking one of these than the traditional Corona and Lime during a party or something, primarily because the effect is basically the same, and this one is cheaper. A good party drink if you're having lots of people over who don't like beer-beer. Not something I'd pick up on my own, but for what it is, it's refreshing and dangerously drinkable (but not in a traditional 'beer' kind of way- more like a soda or hard-lemonade that's bitter sort of way).

06-01-2013 11:20:38 | More by Beric