Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Bud Light Lime - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light LimeBud Light Lime

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2008

Bud Light Lime is brewed using a combination of barley malts, non-malted cereal grains, subtle hopping and natural lime flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Lime Alström Bros
Reviews: 540 | Hads: 2,400
1.89/5  rDev -18.5%

Bottle pours pale yellow, with some detergent white head, soon dissapearing. Unpleasant cheesy beer aroma, with some lime. Taste is on lighter side, astringent taste, with some lime. Could not get down more than a couple of sips. Nasty, but was expecting even worse.

2.25/5  rDev -3%

A: typical half finger head on a hazy pale golden body.

S: wheat with the lime nicely removing the musty adjunct lager aroma.

T: lime is pretty strong with this one with the wheat and adjunct lager bitterness well hidden.

M: light body and high carbonation.

Overall: This is more of a fruit and spices beer than an adjunct lager. Not good but the lime hides the bad stuff.

2.41/5  rDev +3.9%

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that quickly settled down but never completely faded away and left a thin collar of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: The smell is dominated by aromas of limes.
T: It tastes like lime-flavored water with some sweetness and the slightest hints of adjunct malts and bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied, thin and watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer goes down like water and somewhat resembles lime-flavored soda (except that it lacks a strong sugary sweetness). This beverage is probably best consumed very quickly and in the can.

1.28/5  rDev -44.8%

Pours a bright straw color with visible carbonation and little to no head or lacing. Nose brings forth artificial lime and that's about it. Taste is even worse, and there's no real resemblance to beer. Feel is way overcarbonated and spritzy. Just awful in general. Downright awful

2.47/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I didn't think I'd ever try this but a friend had it and tossed me one. I wasn't overly excited to try it but I did anyway. The nose is quite potent with lime. It smells nice but its reminding me of soda. The beer is clear yellow and obviously light bodied. The taste is lime no doubt about that. The flavors of lime subside after a little and turns into that very familiar Bud Lite flavor most of us know and hate.

2.2/5  rDev -5.2%

As expected, there's not much here to critique. It is non-offensive in the same way that selzer water is, but with some faint beer character. The pour brings a very light straw color with a spritzy carbonation and fizzy head formation with lack of retaining qualities. Aromas are majorily lime and with a hint of a gain / malt mixture. Flavors are also dominated by the lime which brings a refreshing and palate cleansing quality to the beer. The feel is overly carbonated and thin, weak, and fleeting. Leaves only a lingering lime flavor and an acidic bite. It will not be what I reach for when wanting a beer, but I can see its appeal through the hot summer months.

2.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear bright golden color lager with a fizzy head. Taste of lime is not overly dominant or too fake to be gross. Not as bad as I had expected just closer to lemonade then actual beer. Somewhat reminiscent of Twist Shandy that used to be brewed by Labatt.

1.98/5  rDev -14.7%

The hype around this beer is really hard to ignore, especially recently in this country. When a Facebook (cough, cough) campaign is cited as the reason for Labatt Canada to rush this product to our store shelves for our abbreviated 'summer', it is indeed a Brave New World. Since I've heard multiple incredulous stories of this selling out around town, and the main liquor store monopoly hoarding supplies, I couldn't resist ordering a pair for myself and my Friday evening drinking buddy at the pub tonight. He forewent his usual "Coors Light rules, Bud Light sucks" tendencies to placate me. Little did he know...

First off, what the hell is the deal with the Inbev UK production codes? Was the rush to market so great that we in Alberta couldn't get product from St. Louis, but had to revert to old Commonwealth ties?

This 'beer' pours a ghost-light pale yellow colour, with a wisp of thin white head that you'd miss if you blinked, which I did. Lacing - heh, seriously? It smells like lime Freezies, the green plastic-encased summertime treats from my youth. The taste is lime, lime, and oh, more lime. The kind of lime that elevates it slightly above the Sprites and 7-Ups of the world, due to it's mild natural citrus tartness. Damn, I can't totally rag on AB's use of 'Natural Lime' in their advertising. What I can rag on, however, is the overuse of said limeness (limetude, limenescence?) in the flavouring of this beverage. It overrides any of the admittedly hard to detect in the first place rice/corn adjuct grain sweetness. It also adds a new flavour twist to this whole sordid affair - citrus dish soap, depending on which brand of that caustic material you prefer, of course, your mileage may vary. The carbonation is above average and contributes greatly to the perception that this is actually a store brand soda pop, the body seems pulpy, but that may be my brain playing tricks on me, as there is no pulp, and the finish is off-dry, more sweet lime, folks.

This is pretty much a very weak fizzy margarita - bubbles, dextrose, lime, watered down alcohol. I'd call this a chick drink, but I'm afraid the women I know would beat me senseless for saying so...my drinking buddy left the majority of the bottle on the bar - case closed. The bartender said we're getting Miller Chill soon in our province, like that's any consolation.

2.09/5  rDev -9.9%

The Crap-in-a-Can-Crusade™ continues!

24 oz. can with lime green tab, "11 313" on bottom of can, if a julian date, roughly mid-Oct. '11

Fizzy, soapy white head on it for about a minute, which rapidly fades, leaving a glassy, still surface with the occasional breach from rising bubbles. From the side, there are rapid trails of rising carbonation, champagne streamers. Audible soda fizz on the second pour.

Smells like lime, not the fresh juicy kind, but at least some semblance of "100% natural lime" listed on the can. Later as it warms it's slightly floral and bland, becoming artificial like a lime-shaped car air freshener.

Tastes like wet paper, manila folders soaked in club soda with a splash of lime juice. Dry, flabby, mealy aftertaste once the carbonation dies down a bit. Watery and insipid, lacking crispness of a good lager, with a touch of "natural" lime. Just utterly dull and lacking any sort of character outside of the lime addition. Water tastes pretty good with a lime in it too...

2.54/5  rDev +9.5%

Pale butternut squash topped by three fingers of bright ivory colored foam. The crown looks decent at first, but looks considerably worse as it snaps and crackles into oblivion. Within minutes, there's the usual thin slice of coarse, bubbly foam and almost no lace. Decent to start, downhill rapidly from there.

Since I like lime... and since Bud Light Lime smells like lime... I like the way Bud Light Lime smells. It's really a cheat, though, since they've effectively covered up the nastiness of the standard Bud Light. In other words, this beer doesn't smell much like beer. Here's hoping the flavor profile is along those same lines.

Full disclosure: Bud Light is one of the lowest scoring beers that I have ever reviewed. It's time to give it another go because I might have been a wee bit too harsh way back when. It can't possibly be that bad, can it? In any case, adding 'natural lime flavor' is bound to be an improvement.

Sure enough, BLL tastes a lot like lime juice. It's a pleasant sort of vibe that doesn't taste artificial in the least. It's still *barely* possible to pick out the Bud Light nastiness running just beneath the surface, but the taste buds can be easily tricked if the mind isn't allowed to focus too sharply.

The mouthfeel is lighter than light and the carbonation feels like the head looked: sharply fizzy and short-lived. A slightly more bulky body and softer bubbles... never mind, it ain't gonna happen.

Bud Light Lime is a shameless attempt to cash in on the recent (and regrettable) trend of lime-flavored beer. Sticking a slice of lime in the neck of a Corona was a pain in the ass anyway (the one time I actually did it). For my money, any added ingredient that can effectively cover up the so-called flavor of Bud Light is an improvement. Okay, so Bud Light Liver And Onions might not be so good.

1.53/5  rDev -34.1%

Picked one up, just to try it, in a mixer sixer.

A - Poured out a straw yellow color. It was high carbonated/fizzy with a two-finger, very bubbly, white head that did not linger.

S - It smelled of lime and that's about it.

T - Taste...lime, lime and more lime. Again, not much else. There may have been other flavors, but all I tasted was lime.

M - It was crisp and sharp. Possibly the best qualities of this beer. It was very light-bodied.

D - If you love limes or gin and tonics (with considerably less alcohol content), then this beer/bud is for you!

2.08/5  rDev -10.3%

took the kids out to dinner at hooters tonight. now normally i do not order beers when i am there, but this new bottom of the barrel project actually has me ordering things at these places now. three new ones to tick off on the tap lines tonight. served cold in a frosty mug, this one was consumed on 08/21/2010.

so the bottle comes out to me with a lime stuck in the top, which confused me as i thought it was already lime flavored, i guess it needed an extra kick. i poured it into another frosted mug and a huge head of white foam flows everywhere. waiting for a few minutes i am left with a utterly lifeless, save for a few touches of carbonation, pale, golden liquid.

aroma is hard to place, but not pleasant. light grain, lots of lime, but artificial as could be, even the wedge of real lime is not helping here. corn and rice mixed in but nothing could take over the lime flavor. thank god i ha hot ass wings which made me incredibly thirsty an helped me put this one down. it was just forced to me, the flavor was too much and too little at the same time if that makes any sense. like flavored water, i just do not see the point.

2.83/5  rDev +22%

Thanks for sharing this fine, fine beer, Bobby.

A: The beer pours a very clear golden yellow color with a thin layer of white head.

S: Smells like lime Jello. There's a bit of a sourness to it which at least gives the illusion of real lime. Seems like even a little touch of salt to it. The base Bud Light is pretty much hidden here.

T: Not really any Bud Light flavor left either. It also tastes pretty much like lime Jello. It's got a bit of sugar to it and a subtle tartness, maybe some lime zest.

M: The body is light with a moderate carbonation to it.

D: Surprisingly, this was not completely horrendous. I don't know if I'd want to drink a full glass of this, but it's not as bad as some might lead you to believe.

2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Thanks (I think) to Andy for sharing not one but two bottles of Bud Light Lime. Is this really appropriate? After we've been close friends and beer colleagues for so many years?

Appearance: Pours a very clear, very pale yellow body with a small, fizzy, white head.

Smell: Very lemon-limey in the scent, almost sickeningly so. There's nothing "light" about the smell.

Taste: Altogether bland beyond pale malts are somewhat sweetish. The lime flavoring seems artificial and is reminiscient of a Sprite. Though not to imply I'd ever reach for one of these again, I will say it was better than Miller Chill.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: OK, it's official, this tastes like Sprite, and can you really get angry with a bottle of Sprite?

2.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Beer #8 during Swill Tour 2010. It pours a clear pale straw topped by a weak-ass white foamy head. The nose has more fake lime in it than the worst margaritas available on the free market (black market drinks are very nice...I hear...). The taste is limey seltzer water (imbued with fake lime, not British) with a hint of corn syrup. Boo this. The body is too light for its own good, with a light moderate carbonation and a sickly feel. I'm pretty sure there's no good reason to add this kind of lime to any beverage, much less "premium light lager". To reiterate something I've said many times already, boo this.

3.19/5  rDev +37.5%

How to approach this beer? Let's forget all of the hype. Let's forget all of the history behind it. Let's just focus on the beer.

Unlike a malternative, this is actually a beer. However, it's heavily infused with sweetish and tart lime flavor. So much so, in fact, that it's barely a beer. But there is a bit of beer flavor to it. There's no bitterness to speak of, but that's none needed because of the citric acid of the lime. And there are no hops, but they're not needed either because of the lime flavor. And let's face it, there's barely any hop flavor or bitterness to Bud Light any way. So what do we have? Well, it is refreshing. And it tastes good. And it's drinkable ... ... ... that's it, I'm out of stuff. Oh, and it's still a light beer (116 calories and 8 grams of carbs).

I've used the "lost at sea" scenario for other light beers, so I might as well use it again. If I was lost at sea with sharks all around and the sun beating down, I could certainly go for a few of these, and as an added bonus, they'd help me fight scurvy! I'm only kidding of course, well, not really. I do like it, but I kind of can't respect it as a beer. I've enjoyed a few at parties, and they go down really easy. It's just that overall I find it kind of lacking. The lime flavor dominates, so why use beer as the base? Vodka and lime works for me just as well. Of course, this is easy. Hmmm? Let me just go with "it is refreshing. And it tastes good. And it's drinkable".

1.95/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of lime juice, light malts, some adjuncts and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a sweet lime flavor. After that there really isn't much flavor at all. There's a bit of light malt and adjunct breadiness and there's a barely detectable hops presence. The after-taste is likewise simply lime-flavored.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not too flavorful since the only thing I can taste is lime, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there's nothing to the beer, since it's so light that makes it a good representation of style, it seems as though this is one of those beers that tries to appeal to people that don't like beer by tasting as little like beer as possible.

2.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Got a 12 pack of this for $10.99

This beer is a great thirst quencher on a hot Summer's day. I would pick this over a Corona/Landshark/Miller Chill (insert gimmicky flavored beer here) any day of the week. Not an overpowering lime taste but still much better than a Bud Light. Good work AB.

1.65/5  rDev -28.9%

24 fl oz can served into a nonical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are as low as can be.

Served from the refrigerator. Side-poured vigorously as I anticipated the head wouldn't retain. Even the aggressive pour didn't seem to help much. I wonder if it'd have a head at all without aggressive pouring.

Acquired at a local Ralph's market.

A: Pours a two finger pathetic thin head of no cream whatsoever and abysmal retention. Colour is an unappealing straw yellow. I'd stop short of calling it "urine" coloured, but I had to hesitate. It retains all of 30 seconds - but this might be a good thing because the head was just sad. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Artificial lime syrup and heavy sugar. Smells like an awful over-sweetened children's candy. Uniquely repugnant; Budweiser has done it again. I wouldn't call it foul, but it's definitely off-putting to an obscene extent. Pretty strong. No yeast or alcohol comes through, mainly because it can't compete with the crappy lime. "100% natural lime flavour" me arse.

T: Artificial lime, with unwelcome sweetness on the climax. It's backed by a stale dirty barley foundation, which feels weak and pathetic. Watery. That lime is true garbage, and really bothers. Way too sweet. I want to brush my teeth merely from the sugar of the beer. Laughably simple, awfully balanced, and poorly built.

Mf: Overcarbonated. Coarse from the sugary sweetness. Too thick. Wet. Pretty bad all around. Doesn't suit the flavours really at all. Syrupy.

Dr: 24 oz was a struggle to finish. I would never even consider having this again unless a bar had no other affordable options on draught and I was looking to get destroyed. Awful for the style, and hardly a beer. A reprehensibly bad concoction.

2.8/5  rDev +20.7%

I tried this from the 7oz bottle in a tumbler.

The color is very pale golden with a fluffy white cap the is now you see it now you don't. There is no lace and lots of micro bubbles quicky rise to the surface. The smell is citrus-lime infused with a light clean overall aroma, kind of seltzery with a slight sweet scent. The feel is light in body with an almost watery body with prickly carbonation and subtle tanginess from the lime with very gentle astringent aspect, dry and clean in the sparkling gassy finish.

The flavor is better than I expected. I have had this before and was not sure how I felt. The flavor is so light it is like having a lime flavored alka-seltzer practically. There is a sweet tinge from whatever malt there is in this. The lime flavor is a gentle addition to the light beer taste, not overdone and freshens the slightly dull crisp taste a bit. Overall it is more of a drink for refreshing the palate on a hot summer day after mowing than a beverage to enjoy the day after Christmas, but for the price it isn't terrible

2.54/5  rDev +9.5%

12oz clear bottle with no freshness date. "100% Natural Lime Flavor" on the label, natural can mean just about anything these days.

Spritzy white head drops down to a thin lacing, crystal clear pale yellow color. Dry lime aroma, smells of lime flavored Alka-Seltzer ... hello beer, anyone home? Light bodied and a little slick on the palate. The carbonation has a little bite to it. Lime flavor throughout, reminds me of a diet lemon-lime soda that has been watered down by the ice that has melted into it. Malt, no. Hops, no. All lime, yes. So I am basically drinking a diet lime soda with some alcohol.

Great concept but this is going in the wrong direction for beer and you can't even compare this to a good "lager and lime", at least with those you could actually taste beer. One bottle was more than enough, nothing horrible ... just not beer.

2.2/5  rDev -5.2%

Clear pale golden hue with a fizzy white head dwindles quickly of course. Absolutely no lacing sticks to my pint glass. Aroma mild citrus peel with a touch of saltiness. Flavor is bud light covered with lime flavor not much more to it than that definitely boring and unoriginal with following the coattails of Miller Chill. Mouthfeel of seltzer water, and is refreshing but feels like lemonade or a chick alco pop than an actual beer.

2.51/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Another gag gift from Robert - served in my Red Hook pint glass.

A - Doesn't look too bad - two fingers of eggshell white foam that dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Tons of bubbles race to the top. It's kind of a wussy straw color. Looks like an inferior version of the Hop Sun I had about an hour ago.

S - Lime & metal. It smells like 7Up. There's really no "beer" flavor left because it's been obliterated by the artificial flavoring, but in this case that may actually be a good thing. It's not offensive, but it's seems more appropriate for soda.

T - Lime up front, corn in the finish. Neither taste is really offensive (I like limes, I like corn), but it just seems strange for a beer to taste this way. Not the worst adjunct I've tried by a long stretch, however. Corn aftertaste.

M - Way to lively on the carbonation front - burns my upper lip, palate, and leaves me feeling bloated after just a few sips. Watery and thin.

D - Well, I think I can actually choke down an entire bottle, which already makes it better than Dogfish Fort or the Le Coq double stout I tried recently.

It is going to be quite amusing to review this and Cable Car on back to back days.

2.6/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours clear straw yellow with a white head that becomes a patch.

The smell is as advertised - lime. There'a macro beer-ish smell underneath, but couldn't pinpoint it as Bud Light, necessarily. Clean - lime has an real smell - not artificial.

The taste is like a lime soda - less sweet though. Not very "beery", but considering its a macro light with lime, could be worse. Finishes crisp and clean without lime hanging on. It has little to no aftertaste - fine in this case.

The body is fizzy and light - very highly carbonated - again, more like lime soda/seltzer.

Drinks surprisingly well enough for one - could almost see a somewhat refreshing quality to it on a hot day for non-beer drinkers. If I liked lime soda more, I may have liked this one more. It's okay for what it is, I suppose, but one is enough.

1.88/5  rDev -19%

Bad beer Thursdays 2011, week 2. Bud Light Lime, or as the label puts it BL lime (lime is in a much more festive font). Poured into a Bitburger glass, I'm sorry Bitburger. Beer is yellow and clear with a lot of carbonation, a big head the disappears as quickly as it formed, leaving a monolayer of white bubbles and no lacing.

Aroma is like a corona you've squeezed a lime into, it smells like college, but I grew up in AZ, where corona was cheaper than water. It is sweeter than Corona, it almost smells like that Radler I had the other day, the beer mixed with lemon soda.

Beer is really thin and too sweet for what it is, it has a terrible aftertaste too, kind of like lime flavored soap. I'm totally not into this. This is FAR WORSE than Bud Light IMO. At least I could finish bud light.

Bud Light Lime from Anheuser-Busch