Bud Light Lime - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Bud Light Lime is brewed using a combination of barley malts, non-malted cereal grains, subtle hopping and natural lime flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Lime Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Served at a party ice cold. Twelve ounce clear bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a pretty faint yellow. Very clear. Very fizzy. Topped by about a finger of white head which fades almost instantly. I can hear the fizziness. Lots of bubbles rising in the glass. A few bubbles remain around the collar but there is no sort of lacing.

Smells kind of like Sprite. That really wouldn't be a bad thing if it were soda, but it's supposed to be beer. Sweetened lime juice is the main aroma coming from this one. Some grain is there in the background. No sort of hop presence.

Taste is pretty similar to the nose. A lot of sweet lime flavor and not a whole lot else. It kind of tastes stale too, but it's not an old bottle. Basically, this is a soft drink with a bit of alcohol.

Carbonation is pretty harsh. Other than that it feels very watery and slick.

It does have drinkablility in the sense that it has soda-like sweetness and a watered down taste. Goes down easy, but there is no substance to it. I'm also drinking this one quickly because I don't want to know how it tastes when it warms up a little.

jimj21, May 30, 2009
2.68/5  rDev +24.1%

An anemically pale tone of cider that actually appears white in places. You can fully appreciate its brilliant clarity when holding it up into the light. Tiny bubbles occasionally spring off the bottom and travel along a solitary stream until they reach the top where they become condensed into a soapy outer ring and loose-knit tarp.

And it smells agreeable too! (For the sole reason that it smells solely like lime juice.) Where as the normal Bud Light reeks of corn, chemicals and cheap adjuncts, Bud Light Lime smells just like lime juice. And like everything else artificially flavoured (think candies and syrups) it is more vivid and sweet than the actual flavour of what it is mimicking.

Oh, wait, maybe some stench has survived after all. Certainly the stain of a heavily processed, pasteurized, adjunct-filled artificially created product is present in the taste, albeit again more limited than in the normal Bud Light. This still fails to be a beer I envision myself drinking but I'll be honest, I find it a lot less disagreeable than most light lagers.

And that fact is solely based on the addition of "100% natural lime flavour" (as opposed to unnatural lime flavour?) I find having the citrus added in with the recipe pairs more favorably than having it manually inserted at the time of consumption. Then again, no beer that requires a slice of fruit is really worth drinking anyhow.

Someone I talked to said he couldn't wait to try this because he was told it tasted like Mountain Dew. I shake my head. If you want something that tastes like Mountain Dew then go buy Mountain Dew! This whole concept of beer tasting nothing like beer for the sole reason of bypassing the palate and getting alcohol more quickly to the brain perturbs me.

It should be noted, however, that it does taste and drink just like a soda pop. It has the unmistakable texture of artificial carbonation, an unnaturally sweet flavour (one that is likely to appeal to children, no less) and is (somewhat) refreshing. That last point is really contingent on weather and one's level of thirst. Bottom line: anything that tastes less like Bud Light is better than Bud Light in my books.

biegaman, May 26, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A-very clear, light yellow, quickly dying white head

S-7-Up and sulfur

T-Like a less sugary form of Zima

M-very light and fizzy

D-No thanks. Its all lime and no beer. This is more like some kind of flavored malt liquor, than an actual fruit beer. I can't even say that the style is identifiable.

jneiswender, May 26, 2009
2.28/5  rDev +5.6%

Given the circumstances, drank this right from a 12 oz. bottle, [and as so am breaking from my normal category-breakdown-style review].

Light golden color typical of this style. Heavily carbonated with a white bubbly carbonation that is constantly re-energized as you drink. Pretty much just a sweet citrus smell. There's really not much bear to taste here, mostly just the unusually sweet lime. The brew in and of itself is not overly sweet, just the lime component. It also has a bit of a salty palette. I don't know if this is done meaningfully specifically for this brew, as I find the palette of most Budweiser products to have a similar salty feel. Either way, it's there. If you don't really like Bud Light, this will be a plus for you because the Bud Light taste is drowned out. Light bodied, overly carbonated. As you progress through this brew, the flavor seems to weaken and "thin out". By the time you reach the end, it's mostly flavor-less. I guess the drinkability is fine if you've been mowing the lawn, or painting the house and just want some adult refreshment that's a bit different.

bmwats, May 23, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -3.7%

Pour of Bud Light Lime is a very, very fizzy golden color. The beer is a very light golden color. There is a ton of carbonation, almost out of control. However, all of the carbonation creates zero head.
Aroma is almost nothing but lime. It is a very strong fake lime smell, almost like a cleaning product of some sort.
Taste does not have much of a beer taste to it at all. There is a lot of lime taste and almost a corn taste to the base instead of wheat. The taste is very similar to Hint of Lime Tostitos.
Mouthfeel is very crisp and carbonated. You can feel all the bubbles all the way down and the liquid is very thin.
Drinkability is good. If you don't care about taste or anything this is definitely a beer one could drink all day long. On a hot day Bud Light Lime would not be an awful selection, but very close to an awful selection. I wouldn't turn these down at a barbeque if they were the only beers being served, but I would probably emasculate the crap out of anyone serving it.

BDIMike, May 21, 2009
1.85/5  rDev -14.4%

A-It looks a little like Corona but not as attractive.

S- It's got a lime scent to it about it's got going for it.

T-There really isn't any taste in it at all. It's actually kind of like Soda water as opposed to beer. Again, that's how all the Buds I tried tasted like.

M-It doesnt have a clean finish. It tastes like a rotten graham cracker when it gets towards the bottom.

D-It's not my kind of beer.

It does look a tad refreshing in the commercials but when I saw it in person I was not impressed at all. The taste was like Grahm Crackers with lime in it. It did not taste a thing like Beer to me. It was a little on the weak side. I am not going to say don't try it because I know tons who like it. But, it's not my kind of brew and I am not a Bud person.

steanu, May 14, 2009
1.83/5  rDev -15.3%

Had this at a party. Decided I would try it since I wasn't paying for it.

Bud Light Lime pours the usual yellow and fizzy. Seems to have a bit of a green tint to it, though it may be my imagination. The smell is mostly lemon-lime soda with a bit of macro lager beneath.

The taste is pretty much the same. It tastes a bit like lemon-lime soda that has gone bad. Lime flavor up front with maybe just a bit of malt underneath. The mouthfeel is thin and fizzy which is to be expected, so I can't knock it for that.

This beer is not good. I couldn't finish the entire bottle. I expected someting along the lines of putting a lime in a Corona or Dos Equis but this is a totally different, and worse, experience.

Spidey13, May 11, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: Clear medium golden color, with a large white head, scattered sticky lacing, and clouds of small, slow-rising bubbles.

Aroma: Strong aroma of lime, rather like Rose's Lime Extract, I cannot detect any malt or hops whatsoever.

Taste: Opens with a mildly bitter note of lime peel, soon followed by a ghostly hop bitterness, and faint pale malt, the lime notes rise to ascendancy towards the close, leaving a lingering lime peel note in its wake.

Mouth feel: Smooth, very thin and watery.

Drinkability/notes: Quite unremarkable, little more than sparkling water with a twist of lime.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce clear glass long neck bottle, served in a standard tap glass.

Pegasus, May 09, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -17.6%

Color is an uninspiring clear straw-yellow, and the white head is thin and dissipates quickly. Aroma is strongly of lime, the best aspect of this particular beer. Flavor is thin, and despite a good hint of lime fails to inspire. Texture is a little tingly but not enough to make up for its wateriness.

Cyberkedi, May 03, 2009
2.33/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: high carbonation, clear, golden yellow

Smell: lime and a twinge of malt

Taste: It tastes like lime candy. If I closed my eyes, I would think I was drinking a soda.

Mouthfeel: super sweet, smooth, and very carbonated

Drinkability: I got this on a cruise and my though was not again. I like fruit beers to taste like fruit and beer. This tastes like something I would get from Dairy Queen not a beer. If I want Dairy Queen, I will go there instead.

tigg924, Apr 29, 2009
2.5/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Another gag gift from Robert - served in my Red Hook pint glass.

A - Doesn't look too bad - two fingers of eggshell white foam that dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Tons of bubbles race to the top. It's kind of a wussy straw color. Looks like an inferior version of the Hop Sun I had about an hour ago.

S - Lime & metal. It smells like 7Up. There's really no "beer" flavor left because it's been obliterated by the artificial flavoring, but in this case that may actually be a good thing. It's not offensive, but it's seems more appropriate for soda.

T - Lime up front, corn in the finish. Neither taste is really offensive (I like limes, I like corn), but it just seems strange for a beer to taste this way. Not the worst adjunct I've tried by a long stretch, however. Corn aftertaste.

M - Way to lively on the carbonation front - burns my upper lip, palate, and leaves me feeling bloated after just a few sips. Watery and thin.

D - Well, I think I can actually choke down an entire bottle, which already makes it better than Dogfish Fort or the Le Coq double stout I tried recently.

It is going to be quite amusing to review this and Cable Car on back to back days.

MasterSki, Apr 23, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -2.8%

A = quite clear and pale, swift bubbling and rapidly dissappearing head. reminds me of a soda-pop pour.

S = something off here. sweet, but not of natural citrus. can't detect any hops or grains really

T = It's a wine cooler, with beer bubbles. big carbonation bubbles tingle for a moment, then rapidly dissipate leaving the "lime" aftertaste..

M = carbonation, some tingle, basically like a soda

D = Ok....While not a beer and not a wine cooler, this is a beverage that may do well at a concert or on a boat or at the beach, accompanied by some Jimmy Buffet music. Other than that, I'll pass.

Bigfatbino, Apr 19, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My mother-in-law always gets upset at the beer choices presented to her in my fridge. Typically, she asks why I don't have anything "normal." Even the Simple Times lager I picked up from Trader Joe's is too esoteric.

Anyway, this monstrosity showed up in my fridge. Tastes somewhat like Corona. Which is also a really bad beer. Light, watery, carbonation level like seltzer water, and a spritz of skunky lime juice.

I deserve better. You deserve better. Humanity . . . deserves better.

Overlord, Apr 17, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +54.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Hmmm... we could go on and on about appearance, smell, taste, etc. But lets get this straight. Bud Light Lime is good. But Bud Light Lime isn't beer. I found myself chugging this like it was pop. This is like a beer and lime flavored pop or smirnoff ice. Really.

Very little beer taste. Absolutely no bitterness. More lime than beer. I can't say much else about this "drink". Good, but shouldn't even be on this site with "beer".

mjw06, Apr 16, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -21.3%

Alright, look... have you ever sat through a corona commercial, and said to yourself, "wow, I kind of want to sit on the beach and drink a lime flavored beer." Well, do you remember the next commercial right after... that is bud light lime... I mean the commercial could have been advertising a local law firm, very poorly done, and the lawyer was stammering and was wearing a tan cowboy hat... or it could have been about a small technical college, and the cheap production value just left a sour taste in your mouth... that is bud light lime.

Ive seen soft drinks hold a better head... looks and smells a lot like a corona, but friends, dont be fooled... If you think corona is garbage (you'd be right) and this is worse than that... very light, almost not there...kind of like drinking water, but somehow its lighter than water... I wouldn't pour this beer in my backyard if that gives you any indication of drinkability...

rodney45, Apr 12, 2009
2.45/5  rDev +13.4%

okay...so i was in a pinch today and needed $5 cash back at the gas station to wash my car, this was on sale for $5, perfect I figured, I haven't tried it, and there's a love hate trend going with a lot of people I've talked to. Here goes nothing eh.

Note: Utah 3.2% ABW version.

A: Pale yellow, stark white head, excellent clarity, tons and tons of carbonation floating through this one. FOR WHAT IT IS it looks right on par for the style...not impressive though. Surprising head retention, with a little bit of lace.

S: 7up, and that's about it. Surprisingly not skunked from the clear bottle...a little bit of cornmeal behind the 7up, and that's it.

T: Budlight with a hint of lime...not so much, more like cornflakes with lime juice. Yikes. This is not going well. Extremely sweet, slight sour tartness from the lime. Honestly tastes like drinking 7up. There is a faint hint of corn and rice in the aftertaste...not quite happoshu like...more like cornmeal and rice. Um. Not good.

M: Thin, extremely prickly carbonation, crisp, for what it is (7up) it is somewhat refreshing.

D: This isn't drinkable, this is poundable, now I can see why people buy this shit. Pound it and move on to the next. There isn't really anything to enjoy here, just some lime flavor on top of cornflakes. I'm not impressed by it. But, given the right situation, I could drink a few of these. Is it better than Keystone, you bet, better than Coors Light, marginally, better than regular Bud Light, marginally. Around my buddies still in college, and their fridges, I'd reach for this.

pokesbeerdude, Apr 10, 2009
1.18/5  rDev -45.4%

This is not beer. Let me repeat: This is not beer. This is something people who don't like beer can drink to say they drink beer. I don't know why AB-Inbev felt to label this as Bud Light Lime, because it isn't Bud Light with lime in it, it is artificial lime flavoring with a small amount of alcohol in it!

Let me be honest with you: The first bottle I had of this, I poured out. This is the first "beer" I've ever done that with. Then I decided if I was going to criticize it, I needed to at least have a whole bottle. So I did.

The appearance of this is only one step darker than water. The smell is downright offensive. It literally smells like a lime flavored candy. There isn't a hint of beer taste to be found in this concoction, only some lime-flavored I-don't-know-what. The mouthfeel isn't bad. It's like other AB products, or water. I will never drink another one of these. There is absolutely no redeeming qualities for this useless swill.

torsoul, Apr 08, 2009
1.05/5  rDev -51.4%

Ok is this beer? All I could taste was lime, there was no hint of lime, it was all lime in every drink. Other than that it looks like Bud Light, is thin and watery like Bud Light, but where at least you could chug Bud Light this crap is like chugging a lime-aid with extra fizz. I can't accurately review this since I can't give 0 scores in any category. Worst "beer" I've ever drank.

SchlaflyFan, Apr 08, 2009
1.8/5  rDev -16.7%

A- Pours light clear yellow with a small white head that quickly disappears.

S- Slight artificial lime nose with thin malty adjunct corn scents.

T- Taste like lime seltzer water. No hops, no malt, no wheat, no spice. I would be kidding if I said there was some fruit flavor. Although in its defense, it does have a taste (unlike bud light).

M- Light bodied but over carbonated.

D- Not the worst beer out there, but I would never again purchase it.

projectflam86, Apr 03, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +21.8%

i did it i tried it .. as a home brewer and beer geek i did it ..at first look its a light yellow.. not much head.. not impressed..taste was like dish soap. and limey.. smell was limey.. aonly good if you are fishing and u like coranas and dont want to cut up a lime with fishy hands

njthebestofme, Apr 01, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a sickeningly light uber-clear yellow color with a loud white head that is gone pretty rapidly. Not cool.

Smells like a limeade from Sonic. Lime is just way too dominant and really does not resemble beer at all.

This is not a beer. I am convinced it one of those Clearly Canadian flavored waters with some yellow food coloring. There is no malt or hop flavors at all. To it's credit, it is not the foulest thing AB has put out on the market. God only knows why my sister in law loves this stuff...

twiggamortis420, Mar 30, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a clear pale gold color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes within seconds to almost no lacing. The aroma is of lemon jolly rancher (not lime, but lemon how odd). There are absolutely no beer qualities to the aroma. The taste is surprisingly pleasant. Like the aroma it is more candy or wine cooler like than beer like. In fact if I were blind folded I would probably guess that this was a soda. The mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation, but not annoyingly high the was most macro beers are. Overall, this is something I will not be drinking again. I like beer too much to waste my time drinking things that aren't beery.

KarlHungus, Mar 24, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +41.2%

Appearance is straw colored, crisp dissapating head with no lace. Smell of mainly lime and other adjuncts. Taste has a refreshing lime flavor that goes down with a lot of carbonation with a light mouthfeel. I can see this being a quencher on a hot day without being to filling at a BBQ.

Bookseeb, Mar 22, 2009
1.3/5  rDev -39.8%

I can't believe I've finally come around to reviewing this.

Pours a straw-gold color with a thin one-finger head into my pint glass. Seems like a typical description for the style.

Aroma is light with a definite hint of lime in the nose. Can't detect much else but the lime reminds me of lime kool-aid a bit.

Taste is full of lime upfront. I'm talking about a blast of lime and not much else. There's some grain and corn but otherwise, it's like a lime seltzer.

Carbonation matches that of a lime seltzer. Watery and lingers at the back of the throat.

Avoid at all costs. If you want lime with your beer, just stick a wedge of lime in it and drink it. No need to go this far and make a glorified lime seltzer-flavored beer.

Brad007, Mar 13, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Got this at the local bar (For free) because "We just ordered a case and i want to know what people think" well... quite honestly it taste bad smells bad and looks bad... other then that it's another fine product from AB

A. Another pee colored yellow fizzy beer with minimal head that fades quickly with no shot at any lacing

S. Reminds me of a lime snowcone at the fair being mixed with some sort of metal.. fruit and beer dont mix well

T. the lime overwhelms any shot of this having a flavor profile. it's a sweet lime flavor like the snowcone reference above

M. Carbonation is high and the beer is thin and watery

D. NO! dont do it unless it's free..

SirChugsAlot, Mar 09, 2009