Bud Light Lime - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2008

Bud Light Lime is brewed using a combination of barley malts, non-malted cereal grains, subtle hopping and natural lime flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Lime Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev +34.3%

I have been hesitant about reviewing this beer. For me it seems to be a purely functional beer. It is only good for when and how I use it.
This beer is my equivalent to soda when all of my friends chug pepsi or coke. It has a light, champagne bubble carbonation.
It is good between late May and mid August usually on the beach or fishing by a river.
I drink it ice cold and in quantity. I don't like Budweiser or Bud Light.
Why drink it? "Back in the day" my girlfriend and I used to bring a cooler and a cutting board and a knife and limes to the beach to use for anything from Corona to regular Bud Light, sand doesn't make for a pleasant experience usually. This is a perfect alternative to the hassle and mess.
I am an IPA lover and rarely stray THIS far away from quality beer.
Think of it as a bud light smoothie...

1.51/5  rDev -30.1%

A friend left a couple of these in my fridge after a Saturday evening gathering. Why not?

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Watery yellow beer, visibly overcarbonated. Pale white head, 1 cm off the pour, reduces to minimal collar. Sad.

S-Lime. Fresh lime. That is all. No beer, just lime.

T-Lime juice. Like lime soda. No beer flavor, as in the aroma. Like carbonated lime water, bottled sparkling water. I don't taste any beer. i think this may just be carbonated lime water and yellow coloring. Finishes dry, flavorless, though remarkably refreshing.

M-High carbonation is a bit harsh on my tongue. Light body, very light. This beer is ver refreshing, and I'd probably love to throw down a couple of these on a 105* F summer day, but still...

D-Ugh. As I said, it's rather refreshing, but it's simply not beer.

2.7/5  rDev +25%

My girlfriend's boss/my old boss had a cookout at her home for Labor Day. When my girlfriend and I cracked the seal on the beer cooler, we were horrified to find two options: Corona and Bud Light Lime. Having never tried the latter, we went for it. Straight out of the bottle, as that's how everyone else was drinking. No real issue when it comes to a "beer" like this one.

Crystal clear pale straw in color. A swirl of the bottle brings lots of white fizz to the top of the bottle.

A quick whiff brings lots of citric lime to the nose, with a little faint hint of something underneath, perhaps a little grain? Hard to tell with all that lime.

Extremely light and spritzy on the tongue, highly carbonated and feeling very much like a soda. Soda-like in character all around, with bright citrusy lime dominating the palate, a little cloying at times, with just a little touch of graininess behind. Finishes clean and crisp.

Pretty drinkable, though the lime overpowers and would, at least for me, become too much after probably two bottles. Reminiscent of the alcopops that have begun to take hold of the German market, this stuff is hardly any more beer-like than Sprite. The big guys need to realize that lime isn't added to Corona because it makes such a delicious drink. Good beer doesn't come in clear bottles.

2.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Drank from the bottle.... No reason to dirt a glass !!

A: Piss poor pale yellow... lots of carbonation

S: A mix of beer and lime concentrate.

T: It is Bud Light with a lot of lime in it... maybe 60 lime to 40 Bud Light.

M: Light and highly carbonated, almost Sprite like.

D: It is what it is.... You can pound them down with no problem, and on a hot day it works.

Overall if you like lime with your beer it maybe for you....

1.16/5  rDev -46.3%

this is not kool
got this one at a friend's house ice cold opened it and a faint smell of beer hidden behind a wif of lime. the taste was faint it went down easy. nothing i would drink, if you can stand the lime taste go for it. i would rather not have fruit in my beer. but i guess some people like this

A: Pours a transparent straw color just like the rest of them. Fizzly looking head, tons of bubbles from the bottom, medium head with poor retention, hardly any sort of lacing.

S: Strong lime and citrus nose. Almost sour. Metallic notes as well. Not too much here, just tart citrus.

T: Very similar to the nose. Very tart lime rinds, orange, wheat, corn, and some metal notes that i cannot seem to avoid.

MF/D: Too fizzy for me, over-carbonated, light in body, short twangy sour note to finish

2.03/5  rDev -6%

16oz aluminum can poured into a clear plastic cup.

A: Pale yellow, fizzy. Little to no head, zero lacing.

S: Some lime, not much else. No hops, some grainy aroma - too faint to really detect.

T: This beer tastes like a Bud Light and Rose's Lime Juice blend - 70% lime, 30% BL. In fact, I'll make the blend and host the blind taste test... I guarantee they'll be the same. The bright side is the lime juice made this beer somewhat refreshing, removing the blah that is BL.

M: Fizzy, very thin.

D: Went down extremely quick in the summer sun, but my palate was quickly bored. There's more out there for summer quaffing than this, thank God.

1.42/5  rDev -34.3%

Tried this abomination at the beach. It can stay there as far as I am concerned.

A- Yelow. Fizzy. Very typical of a macro.

S- Barley. Lime. Skunk. Not an appealing smell at all.

T- It tastes like I dropped a lime into a vat of Corona. It's not a good blend at all. It's very "summer" no doubt, but I'd rather enjoy something more beer like on the beach.

M- Watery and carbonated. Thin as a soda.

D- I will not drink any more of these if I have a say so.

2.85/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

24 oz. clear glass bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours the same color you can already see from outside the bottle... pale straw, and maybe or maybe not a hint of green (well played). Thick white head is surprisingly dense for a light lager, but it fizzles down to nothing nearly as if it was poured from a soda fountain. The scent of "BL Lime" is heavy on concentrated essence of lime. I struggle to pick up anything other than the lime extract, though I do find a bit of sweet cinnamon.

As I sip this perverse lime nectar I get a lot of initial lime flavoring, with some sugar sweetness and tingling carbonation on the sides of the tongue. Mildly bitter lime on the midpalate. On the finish there is... lime (surprised?)... with a touch of cereal, combining into a sort of Fruity Pebbles flavor. Basically, this is just lime flavoring with a little bit of malt sweetness and bittering. This is a lime drink for people who like limes and not beer.

I have to say I don't really find it offensive, but it is just one-note. I might even choose this over a regular light lager because this at least has some flavor to it, even if it is just lime additive. Light bodied with tingly active carbonation, which goes well with the loads of lime. Admittedly, this is fairly drinkable, unless you have a problem with lime flavoring, in which case you are in trouble... but why would you buy a beer labeled BL Lime then?

I was surprised that this beer tasted pretty clean and crisp, it is just simple and all about lime flavoring. Would I buy it? No. I know my fellow BAs like to bash such a beer with low review scores, but one has to consider who this beer is brewed for. This is for people who don't want beer. I see see this as a competitor for Smirnoff Ice or Mike's Hard Whatever, and I would rather have this than those sugarbombs.

2.37/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Two fingers of head disappear within seconds. It's like straw yellow soda pop. The bottom and sides of my glass are covered by big bubbles of carbonation. The aroma presents Minute Maid Limeade with just a hint of sweetness underneath. It doesn't smell fake, it just smells cheap somehow, if that makes sense. It tastes the same. Like Minute Maid Limeade, diluted with club soda. The aggressive carbonation reinforces the club soda comparison. It's cold and refreshing enough that I can understand why people drink it after mowing the lawn, but it's not what I want to drink after mowing the lawn.

It's no small wonder this stuff flies off the shelves though - for all I knock it, I've pounded this stuff back pretty quick. And that bothers me. It's like I'm just meant to pound it back without thinking of that "nasty" beer taste the good folks at Anheuser-Bush have worked so hard to mask for me. The problem is, I like beer, and good beer is worth savouring. I'm all for brewers coming up with interesting new flavours, and not against fruit beers, but this stuff wasn't made to appeal to people who like good beer. It's more like malternative than beer. Like a batch that got churned out when the filtration system used on the base was broken down, so they couldn't get the colour out of it. It's one saving grace is that unlike it's brethren coolers, it isn't cloyingly sweet from added sugar.

1.15/5  rDev -46.8%

Worst beer that i have ever tasted!

Taste like lots of water and lime carbonation.

Aroma doesn't even turn me on.

This beer was made by someone lazy when they needed something quick to try to overkill miller chill, worthless! Why?

Even the bros got tricked, they gave this product a c-, son of a gun!Whats the world of beer come to?

2.77/5  rDev +28.2%

Appearance- very golden yellow which is clear to light, slight moderate carbonation

Smell- definite lime and citrus and slight grain

Taste- This is not terrible in flavor, its in same category as a corona, its strong of lime and a thin watered down lager, if you like lime this is for you

Mouthfeel- Light and watered down

drinkability- Overall for me I could not have more then one or two of these max just to sweet and soda like, could imagine having so many of these i got drunk, They are not gross and I just had to try one with all the buzz they are catching right now, not terrible but not for me, doesnt matter what I think its becoming a summertime beast for years to come

2.9/5  rDev +34.3%

12 oz bottle from a plastic cup. This site should list "stadium cup" as the official "glassware" of Budweiser.

It was someone else's turn to buy the Friday afternoon work beer and this is what we ended up with. It's not offensive. The pale complexion through the clear glass bottle tells you all you need to know about the beer flavor. Nothing on the nose except citrus lime -- some lemon-lime sodas are probably weaker than this on aroma. Tastes like a soda or maybe a malternative... there is no beer flavor here.

This drink is made for the masses who want to drink copious amounts of something mild on a hot summer day. For that, it delivers. If you actually like the taste of beer, however, this Bud is not for you.

(From tasting notes recorded 31 Jul 2009)

2.46/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a pale gold with a white lacing, settles quickly to nothing.

Aroma is citrus dish detergent.

It's bud light with lime. Next to no beer flavour of any sort, may as well be soda water with a lime wedge.

Refreshing, but that's about it. I can understand the popularity, but not my thing.

2.91/5  rDev +34.7%

24 Ounce green and white can

Appearance: Light straw color with tons of carbonation creating a white head that diminishes quickly

Smell: A very odd lime smell, which is hard to even describe

Taste: While the taste is actually pretty good it is not a beer taste. There is nothing that would even make this seem like a beer besides the appearance. It tastes almost like a lime pop but not like the lime added pops, it has its own unique taste. Slightly sweet with a strong lime flavor.

2.61/5  rDev +20.8%

I must say, the neon green pull tab is a nice touch. Makes me feel like I'm drinking some sort of energy drink! Hmmm... The beer itself is surprisingly dark for a light beer as it's a sandy, washed-out gold color. There is no head at all to speak of, but there are a bunch of huge bubbles clinging to the inside of my pint glass, slowly growing only to break free and shoot up to the surface. Looks more soda-like. But again, the color is pretty nice.

As I take a sniff, I get that first hint of ambiguous, sweet adjunct lager, but before it fully registers in my noodle, it is pounced upon by lime and CO2. I'll get to this in the flavor, but this reminds me EXACTLY of lemon or lime seltzer water. No exaggeration. As I look for it, I can get a little cream corn and musky basement yeast to reassure me that I am drinking a beer. So, I think it smells rather nice, but for a beer? Not so much.

The same cheap light lager/ seltzer water tension is prevalent in the flavor, but the two flavors are a bit more distinct. One the one side, there's a touch of corn chips and college basement that is really not too bad, but on the other side, we have the seltzer. I'm getting very distinct memories of cracking the top off a bottle of some carbonated, lime-flavored water; the kind that was popular in the early 90s. I mean, this is spot on. But what's this doing in a beer. Again, this tastes pretty darn good by my standards, but is it beer? Sadly, no. It isn't.

Feels very clean and crisp with a rush of carbonation that erupts, much like in... oh... seltzer water. The limey bits and the CO2 leave my tongue a bit numb after the first few sips. Again, this is actually a pretty fun drink experience, but this is supposed to be a beer. Isn't it? I'm beginning to wonder...

Yup, this "brew" is pretty tasty, but, not to sound like a broken record, this isn't really beer in my book. If I were a bettin' man, I'd say they just blended a high octane version of their Bud Light with seltzer water. Whatever sorcery is at work behind this product, I'll say that they hit some sort of nail on the head. This is a very tasty, easy to drink beer/lime seltzer water that I look forward to drinking this summer and in summers to come.

1.62/5  rDev -25%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

At a beer distributer in Brooklyn (can't remember the name) they were giving tastings of this out of plastic cups. (I also got a free t-shirt and bottle opener...score).

A- Clear gold, bubbly, but can't really say too much since it was in a plastic cup.
S- Very strong lime scent.
T- Lime. It tastes like lime drink. You cannot taste any real alcohol. It's pure lime. Way too overpowering.

2.3/5  rDev +6.5%

alas.. once again one finds themself at a bbq where the only beer selections are dismal. After 2 hours in the sun you can no longer deal with the torturous drought and you cave, accepting the horrible swill just to keep from perishing. This beer looks terrible. It smells like artificial lime scent. Tastes like citrus kitchen cleaner, really like pine-sol or some lemon-scented dish liquid. The mouthfeel is your standard, and so it isn't offensive like the flavor. As for drinkability.. it is easy to chug, in fact its a lot more soda-like than beer. But "drinkability" should also consider the beer's ability to make you WANT to drink more of it, and this beer does not.

1.76/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass after a long day of horseback riding.

A- Pours a faded, golden yellow. Thin, wispy white head that dissipates almost instantaneously. Very clear.

S- Smell of artificial lime juice dominated the nose on this one. Not very appealing. It's sort of like when I was a kid and was all excited to try this green piece of candy because I thought it would be green apple or melon, but instead it turned out to be the generic green flavor that we all loathe. Not very enticing.

T- Much like the aroma, but even worse when it warmed up. From the get go the synthetic lime juice overwhelmed the palate. Getting a little bit of grainy, corn bits but this falls to the wayside. Completely one dimensional. As noted before, when this beer warms up it becomes a complete mess because of the lime flavor.

M- Thin, watered down and way too carbonated. The worst part was that the lime left a residual artificial sourness on the palate.

D- Let's face it, when this one is ice cold and you have been riding on a long day, it's pretty easy to put one back. On the other hand, even before it warms up, the ridiculous lime flavor almost becomes to much to tolerate.

Overall, if I had to have a macro on a hot summer day, this would not be it. The only way this beer is tolerable is if it's ice cold and you have half a bottle. While the lime juice wasn't intolerable off the bat, it builds as you drink it and that synthetic flavor just becomes too much.

2.49/5  rDev +15.3%

This would make a great pop or shandy, because that's exactly what it comes across as.

Overly-carbonated, overly sweetened syrupy lime flavour.

Great as a lawn-mower beer or with BBQ on a hot day, but it comes off as an alco-pop. Not nearly as good as other lime beers I've tried.

1.58/5  rDev -26.9%

looks the part of your typical american light lager. smells and tastes the same (which is to say, not much) but with an artificial lime thing dominating. a bit sweeter than regular BL to balance the artificial tartness i suppose. taste gets old real quick, but i guess i'd drink this over a regular BL, as there is some kind of actual flavor in here, fake or not.

3.13/5  rDev +44.9%

I'd like to begin by stating that I didn't mean to give this beer such a high rating... I was torn because it does taste good, but it doesn't taste bad. If I were reviewing a beverage this beer would've scored much better, but if I was reviewing a beer this beer would've scored worse. I tried to rate it somewhere in the middle between beer and beverage, as that's where I see it place in the scheme of life.

Anyway...

Serving type: Bottle poured into Budweiser signature glass.

A: Light, very light straw color with extremely mild carbonation. I poured rather aggressively since I new the head wasn't going to be very extravagant anyway. When poured aggressively I was "Rewarded" with a 1 finger head that lasted about as long as it took me to make my way to the computer to write this review. Lacing... *Chuckles* There is no lacing with this beer. Literally, no lacing at all.... As far as carbonation... I get a very few tiny bubbles of carbonation, but nothing to get panties all in a bunch over.

S: Overwhelming lime. I understand it's kind of a chick "Beer", but it would be nice if they added some beer to their lime. The sweetness of the lime kinda cancels out the bitterness of whatever beer is in there, leaving a neutral scent that is very weak, even for the style.

T: This is where I'm torn. It tastes good for a beverage, but not for a beer. If I wanted to sit down with a beer I would not be satisfied in the least. If I just wanted something to drink on a hot summer day this would hit the spot. Overwhelming lime flavor that lacks any hint of malty, hoppy flavor. Sweet as all Hell, with not a single bitter note in the entire glass. Again, good in a drink, bad in a beer.

M: EXTREMELY LIGHT... I just took a mouthful from my glass to get an idea of what to write and nothing came to mind. Another mouthful revealed a sweet sensation with a watered down consistency. I would mention texture if there was one. Smooth though, this "brew" certainly goes easy on the palate.

D: Finally, a category this "beer" finally dominates. I'm pretty sure if you took all the labels off this beer and gave it to a 7 year old they would think it was "Non-fizzy lime soda". It's possible to put away so many of these it's almost wrong. If you want to get intoxicated off "beer" this is the eutopia of "beer".

I guess I rated this beer a little to good, but in terms of taste it really wasn't bad. It's just the fact that it doesn't resemble beer that makes most "Beer Advocates" afraid to touch it. If you're at a BBQ and want a refreshing drink sift through that community cooler and reach for one of these. If you're in the mood for a manly man's beer, look look somewhere else.

1.98/5  rDev -8.3%

had this at a friends 27th b-day... i traded a McNally's Ale for one... i regret it now.

A: just like Bud Light, overly fizzy, thin head, pale yellow.

S: not like beer at all, overly limey... just... bad, but not quite awful as i was able to put it to my mouth.

T: lime, like the smell, it doesn't taste like beer at all, lime mixed with corny grains, it was lackluster... worse than regular bud-light, which i much loath.

M: like bud light, like water.

D: it was hot that day so it went down alright, definately not going to purchase it.

this is a bar-yahoo beer for young gents thinking that they're drinking real beer... i, along with most of my mates have not been impressed by this brew.

sad to say, it's horrid compared to bud/coor's light and i've never purchased those beer...

1.76/5  rDev -18.5%

One of a few random leftovers in the fridge after I had some people over.

A- Crystal clear light yellow with a finger of very fizzy white head. Good amount of lace. Looked ok.

S- It didn't really have a beer like smell at all. It reminded me of concentrated lime juice that comes in the little green lime flavored plastic bottle for cooking. I guess if you really like lime you would like the smell. It just didn't do it for me though.

T- Tons of lime juice in the taste and aftertaste. It just felt like a very watery light beer with lime juice added in. The aftertaste reminded me of bad tequila.

M- Light, thin, watery, and lots of carbonation.

D- I could not drink this. The bad aftertaste ruined any drinkability that it had for me.

2.06/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Clear straw. Quickly dropping white head.

S - Smells like Sprite.

T - Tastes like sprite as well, but not as sweet. (fairly sweet for a beer though...)

M - Watery with a sharp carbonation.

D - Underwhelming is an understatement. I was expecting a little bit more beeriness, but there just isn't any here.

Bud Light Lime from Anheuser-Busch