Bud Light Lime - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2008

Bud Light Lime is brewed using a combination of barley malts, non-malted cereal grains, subtle hopping and natural lime flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Lime Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,333 | Reviews: 578
2.42/5  rDev +11.5%

BL Lime will make you COOL! or so say the advertisers of this brew. I've got an easy way to make this stuff too. Take a cheap beer and pour in a half cup of artificial lime juice--you know the kind that comes in the round plastic ball. The color is the color of a yearly physical and the carbonation has been killed by all the acid, so no real head.

The problem that this beer faces is the fact that there is no subtlety. The "lime" permeates every molecule of this drink. Like so many tv chefs, a little work and you can have something so much better than what you get from a can: Take any adjunct lager and add a FRESH lime wedge and viola! You've made a Corona, congratulations.

Don't get on the haters bandwagon just yet, though. This beer does have its place in society.
1) Beaches: It is great for washing the taste of salt water, lake water and dirty river water out of your mouth. One also doesn't care if one is extremely messy whilst drinking after being doused in a reservoir, so this is an OK beer to waste.
2) Chicks too young for you: Highschool and early college girls will love you if you bring this to the next party, as they have not yet learned to appreciate the complexities of over foamed Natural Light or Busch Light from a warm keg in a dirty basement.
3)Wives and Husbands: when they want to venture to where the construction worker goes and leave their wine coolers behind, she'll pick this up because she has bought into the advertisers' image--she wants to be your bikini model. Husbands like it when his wife wants to be the naughty bikini model.

2.52/5  rDev +16.1%

A- Pours like any other light beer, yellow with a lot of carbonation and a white head that goes away after drinking it.

S- It's in the name

T- Taste's just like it says and lives up to the name. A beer with lime in it.

M- Very light bodied with a lot of carbonation.

D- Having an ice cold BLL after a hard day of work is actually quite refreshing. There is nothing wrong with this beer taste wise, but it borders on being a wine cooler.

2.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Got this bottle for free from the local distributor at a local food and restaurant convention.

A - Poured like a normal beer yellow color with a white head

S - Theres quite a bit of lime in the nose effectively hiding any beer smells

T - I guess AB succeeded in making a beer that tastes like a Mexican beer with lime in it

M - This beer has a light body with high carbonation to it

D - This beer wasn't horrible however I'm glad that it was free and its just not for me

3.27/5  rDev +50.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I drank this one against the expressed wishes of my good friend William Pang (Queens, NY).

Pours an almost impossible clear, pale yellow-gold, with almost no head or lacing to speak of.
Smells like lime and citrus, and that is absolutely it. Not hint of corn, malt, hops, etc.
The taste is very bland, and consists primarily and almost solely of citrus and lime, again.
The mouthfeel is sharp and dry, and it is almost lighter than water.
Very easy to drink, not a displeasing taste, and could definitely down a bunch of these in one sitting, not that I would want to. Ever.

2.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Yellow golden color . Typical short lived large white head. Aroma is citrus and lime filled, no real hints of malt or hops... Flavor is mostly lime flavoring of some sort and citrus zest, bits of salt. Dry prickly mouthfeel,funky metallic aftertaste, not very good.

3.18/5  rDev +46.5%

Clear glass bottle up next to the fluorescent lights, wonder if it skunked, guess I will have to try it.

Ultra clear yellow beer with a small white head that falls looks like a mass market American Lager.

Clean lime aroma with a faint sweetness and a faint corn aroma. Smells something like a German radler.

Taste is distinctly tart so they did use some citric acid in this. Good lime flavor with perception of a little extra sweetness. Not bad, slight corn flavor but it is quite refreshing like a Radler or Shandy.

Mouthfeel is light and fizzy.

Very much a lawnmower beer here light and refreshing and not meant to be any masterpiece. Pretty much an American version of Shandy/Radler.

2.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a pale golden straw color, no head, no lacing, moving on...

Smells of sweet nothingness and some artificial lime. I'm already getting excited!

Tastes like it smells with that artificial lime flavoring. You're supposed to use a lime with Corona to mask the flavor of garbage that you get otherwise...here in the USA we've built that masking component right into the beer. Take a regular Bud Light, pour in some Sprite, you got this beer.

Lots of carbonation and watery thin. You can down 12 of these in an hour but why?

Some useless background info... I was at a family gathering full of people who don't drink beer when I was offered one of these. I was never expecting them to have good beer, I was really just looking for a cold drink but bear with me here. "Cold drink" can technically mean Sprite and this is like drinking Sprite with a slight touch of alcohol. And that slight touch was just enough to make some of the crazies around me seem like fairly interesting people for a little while. So what am I saying? Well...

A) I prefer this over typical Bud so if you're in need of a quick buzz and this is the best they have at the party, I guess this one is alright...

B) I would never pay for this out of my own pocket.

You shouldn't either.

2.82/5  rDev +30%

Pours a pale, clear yellow. 1/5 inch head with no retention and no lacing. Smells of a strong lime aroma; reminiscent of a lime soda. Fits the style more of a fruit/vegetable beer than an american adjunct lager (at least on taste). Smooth, average crispness, high carbonation. Tastes of lime flavoring up front with a thin lager background. Besides the overpowering lime flavor the lager is almost like water. Doesn't remind me of a beer so much as a lime soda. Overall, not very good at all, unless you're extremely hot and need something to cool you off.

4.4/5  rDev +102.8%

Not close to any craft beer that most beer snobs enjoy but a very drinkable beer on a hot day.

Would pair this with Mexican food over Corona or Tecate any day.

Yes it is not going to win any awards for best beer, but I think Bud got this beer right and killed off Miller Chill.

Great beer for none beer drinkers, and those who just want something different from all those heavy micros.

1.68/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from 12oz into 19oz pilsner.

Appearance: Pale straw color with a larger head than expected that isn't very thick and leaves quickly with no lace.

Smell: Smells like a lime sparkling water.

Taste: Tastes like lime flavored sparkling water- maybe even a DIET lime sparkling water.

Mouthfeel: Thin and heavily carbonated- feels as though I'm drinking lime sparkling water.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and refreshing. It doesn't necessarily taste bad, but has no traces of being beer- even the appearance could be called into question. If it were offered to me (as the bottle I reviewed was) I would drink it, but considering that diet lime sparkling water is cheaper, I would much rather buy that. Again, this was rated low not necessarily because it's bad, but because you can't even tell that it's beer.

Just a side note though- I had another bottle last night with tacos, it went pretty well with that.

3.19/5  rDev +47%

How to approach this beer? Let's forget all of the hype. Let's forget all of the history behind it. Let's just focus on the beer.

Unlike a malternative, this is actually a beer. However, it's heavily infused with sweetish and tart lime flavor. So much so, in fact, that it's barely a beer. But there is a bit of beer flavor to it. There's no bitterness to speak of, but that's none needed because of the citric acid of the lime. And there are no hops, but they're not needed either because of the lime flavor. And let's face it, there's barely any hop flavor or bitterness to Bud Light any way. So what do we have? Well, it is refreshing. And it tastes good. And it's drinkable ... ... ... that's it, I'm out of stuff. Oh, and it's still a light beer (116 calories and 8 grams of carbs).

I've used the "lost at sea" scenario for other light beers, so I might as well use it again. If I was lost at sea with sharks all around and the sun beating down, I could certainly go for a few of these, and as an added bonus, they'd help me fight scurvy! I'm only kidding of course, well, not really. I do like it, but I kind of can't respect it as a beer. I've enjoyed a few at parties, and they go down really easy. It's just that overall I find it kind of lacking. The lime flavor dominates, so why use beer as the base? Vodka and lime works for me just as well. Of course, this is easy. Hmmm? Let me just go with "it is refreshing. And it tastes good. And it's drinkable".

2.15/5  rDev -0.9%

Budweiser 3 of 5 from "Budweiser at Ben's" Dec 20th 2008.

First came Bud Light, second was Bud Select, now we move on to Bud Light Lime. Like I said before, moving from the bottom up.

If you mixed a fizzy lime soda with a Bud Light, this is what you would get. There is nothing impressive about this beer (can you call it that?). At first, the lime scent isn't that bad, it's almost refreshing. After a while it kind of became overpowering and I dreaded having to take a whiff. The taste is fizzy lime drink with no hops or malts detectable. Nevertheless, it's fairly drinkable, so it's not a complete loss.

1.76/5  rDev -18.9%

Bud Light Lime is a very clear, very sparkling pale straw lager with a quickly vanishing, sparse white head. The aroma is simply lime. It's actually not too fake smelling. It is very thin, watery and sparkling in the mouth. It tastes like a lime spritzer. It's slightly sweet. There really isn't much flavor. There is a slight aftertaste of cardboard and anonymous grain. The lime doesn't taste as real as it smells. This is for the underage demographic. Maybe some Cholula and sea salt will fix it... OK, the salt gave it a head and the taco sauce gave it some color. Stick to Negra Modelo and fresh lime if you're in a chelada mood. "BL" is not the way to go.
(rated Aug 14, 2008)

3.86/5  rDev +77.9%

Served in a bottle.

A- Has a clear, yellow coloring to it.

S- Has a strong citrus smell. Definitely has a lime scent.

T- I feel that this tastes like Miller Chill after you put a lime in it. I think this is a good effort by Anheuser-Busch. Definitely would drink this over other beers of this style.

M- Might be too much citrus for some people

D- Very drinkable for this style. The lime flavor sets it apart from others.

2.95/5  rDev +35.9%

Poured From a bottle into a pint glass.

The color is pale with a bit of a green tint to it probably from the lime juice that is already mixed in. also has a slight white for just a moment before it dissolves.

The smell is a very strong lime flavor, almost overtakes any malt or hop smell of the beer.

The taste is surprisingly sweet with quite a bit of lime flavoring to it and the smallest hint of malt. Almost too much lime if you ask me.

The feel is good, it's trying to hard to be like a Corona but does still retain that Bud taste and feel. I'm not much of a fan of A-B's beers but I think this may be one of the better beers Bud has put out. Would be good at least as a summer cookout beer

2.42/5  rDev +11.5%

Had this a friend's, who I was surprised to see he had beer of any kind in his fridge. Knowing he's not a beer drinking guy, I was also surprised to hear that he "didn't think it was too bad for a beer." A dubious start.

Pours clear straw yellow with a crystal head. Not really white bubbles, almost see through which quickly diminish to nothing and leave no lacing.

Tart lime and sweetness on the nose. Not really a malty sweetness though, but a syrupy sweetness. I'm trying to decide whether it was much of a natural or artificial lime aroma. Definitely a far cry from the citric hops I love.

Pronounced lime flavors pervade, just a little tartness, (which I like) but lots of the same artificial sweetness I noticed in the aromas. At the end of the swallow I can just pick out a flash of grainy malt taste before it's gone. It's so brief, I didn't pick it out the first couple gulps, but it's there if you try really hard to find it. Sadly, that's the only beer-like flavor I'm getting. This is a one trick pony that didn't even learn it's trick too well.

Vacuous is the word that comes to mind when describing mouthfeel. Watery, less oomph that most soda. The last beer I drank was last night, a world class Yulesmith IPA by Alesmith. I can't tell you how different the feels are between these two beers. (I use that term loosely when referring to the BLL) Thick, full, creamy versus a vapor. They use "Light" appropriately.

This was worth the morbid interest try, but I won't be spending any money on it. I wouldn't turn it down if it's the only option at a summer BBQ, but it'll get edged out pretty easily from the cheap domestics, too.

2.38/5  rDev +9.7%

Ordered a $2 aluminum bottle at Stooge's in Allentown. Why? Because weird and bad beer fascinates me. It appeared a clear golden yellow with little to no head.

At first I couldn't decide whether this tasted more like a lemon-lime Sweet Tart or Smartie, but there really isn't enough tang for this to be a Sweet Tart. There was a hint of very plain, light barley malt in the background, but this beer was mostly a lime candy-flavored beverage. Barely beer, but technically it is. I will also give it credit for being completely inoffensive to the palate. If you're offended by fruity booze trying to pass as beer, however, that's another story. One was enough for me.

1.4/5  rDev -35.5%

For the record: I didn't pay for this, at least in money.

A) Pale yellow with no head

S) Artificial lime straight from the little squeeze bottle.

T) Grain soaked water, now with Lime! Some sugary base and that nasty fake lime.

M) Feels like water, except fizzy

O) Candy sweet, little taste. Come on people, just squeeze a lime in a Corona.

1.58/5  rDev -27.2%

ok, im going to give this beer a bad review but let me start off with this anecdote.

I used to be a snob about Budweiser/Bud Lite in general and went around claiming ill of them to anyone who had one in thier hand.
I have since started drinking Budweiser as my weeknight beer on occasion, and have also learned that Bud Light has its place as a "hot summer day" beer, and a utility beer in applications like Beirut or beer funneling.

However, bud light with lime is just terrible. I don't really go for light beer or beer with added flavoring in general, but my parents went on some mission trip to West Virginia, and came back bragging about how all they could get down there was Bud-Lime. i thought it was cute and all, and had one with them when they came home with the sixer.

poured it into a pint glass. shitty pale color.

Smell is probably the worst part, except that Bud-lime tastes just like it smells. it smells like baby wipes, or some fruity kitchen cleaner, which i found very disturbing.

Sure enough, when you taste it, its like a sort of disinfectant, plus sugary lime juice.

this shit also leaves an oily sheen in my mouth, like jungle juice brewed in a 55 gallon drum.

on the whole, i really dont want to finish this beer, nor drink any more of them. Wouldnt spend money on it, but i wonder how Miller Chill stacks up? ha!

1.03/5  rDev -52.5%

A conversation from earlier tonight reminded me to review this beer. And like I said, I would prefer a corona with a real lime served in a salt lined glass. It pours a yellow color with a weak head. Nose and taste are of grains, rice and artificial ingredients. Thin body feels like Sprite.

2.45/5  rDev +12.9%

The beer was served cold in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer has a fizzy yellow coloration. The head was a short lived white foam.

Smell: The beers smell is all lime. No hops or malts in the aroma.

Taste: The beer has a lemon lime soda flavor throughout.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a thin body. It is well carbonated. This is oddly like drinking lemon/lime soda. No where near the chore I thought it would be to drink.

2.55/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance - Normal Bud Light look, yellow, light fizzy, club soda.

Smell - A little rank for a beer lover, like club soda with a splash of lime extract.

Taste - Corny, a little lime, not much beer. Better then the smell though.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy, not natural.

Drinkability - If you've already downed a few, it is so much easier to drink. In fact, I got used to it after a couple. It can grow on you if you're drunk.

Bottom line, not for the session drinker. I drank it once at a party, ended up have 9 or 10 of these bad boys. Good as a chaser after a rum shot or 3. As an everyday beer, I'll pass.

Main Positive Point - The Lime flavor is the only thing that makes this beer 1% better then the original tasteless brew.

Main Negative Point - It's still Bud Light.

2.56/5  rDev +18%

Not much to explain here.

Appearance is very pale thin head that goes away quickly.

Taste: Tastes like a watered down Corona with an artificial lime taste in it. Almost like they used lime Kool-Aid.

Drinkability: I could only stomach maybe one if it was given to me. The fake lime taste gave me indigestion.

Wouldn't ever buy, glad the only one I ever had was given to me.

2.16/5  rDev -0.5%

I hate to do this, but...

Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Piss yellow in color, absoloutley no head or lacing here, the head dissapates in about 10 seconds after a pour, just awful.

Smell: Corn and lime, maybe a hint of wheat, thats about it. The lime doesn't smell to fresh either, almost like it was skunked into the bottle.

Taste: If you put on a blindfold and drank a sip you'd think you were drinking water. Again, lime and corn is what stands out, the lime taste is a bit too saturated and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation, very thin, and lacks any body.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but who would want to. This is an attempt to floor the market of lime beers to the max. One thing I can say is it's better then Miller Chill, but not better then a Corona. My final verdict, stick to Corona if you want this style, otherwise, AVOID!

2.42/5  rDev +11.5%

Well, here's an interesting brew. I had one of these in my fridge, left over from my wedding, so I figured hey, why not?

It poured a 2 inch head right off the bat, which surprised me, but it looked like dishwater foam, and dissappeared in like two seconds. zero lacing. This beer is exactly the color of....well, if you've ever had to pee in a cup, you know the color. Of course, the clear glass bottle proudly showcases that. It smells like...citrus. Big effing surprise. Taste was not too pleasant, but it would have been better right out of the bottle. The extra carbonation would have made the strong lime flavor a little more tolerable.

I usually don't directly dis beer, but this one was pretty bad. I've had one at a club and it wasn't horrible then. I guess you just have to be in the mood.

Bud Light Lime from Anheuser-Busch