Budweiser American Ale - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser American AleBudweiser American Ale

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: KI9A on 06-08-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser American Ale Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +55.9%

I picked up a 6 pack for $6.99 and decided to give it a try. It pours a nice amber color with a good head. Simply put this tastes very close to Yuengling. This is great for those who love Yuengliung, but are not in its limited distribution. Definitely not piss water and I could drink this beer all night.

4.85/5  rDev +55%

Pours a nice solid dark amber, gleams of red and orange when at the right angle. Fluffy and almost endlessly lasting head.

This stuff is really, really, good. I love the drinkability and the fact that these go down like water, yet still maintain a solid body. Silky smooth body, with a large reminiscent malty body. Very balanced, and just right for a session.

The beer is perfect in the sense it's not sweet, the alcohol is well disguised, and it's easy to pound. None of the flavors really stand out, but it tastes really damn good. It's almost the perfect choice for anytime drinking, since it's widespread availability and amazing drinkability.

I'm glad Bud made something this tasty available to the widespread public. Here in New Jersey it's exactly what we need. By far the best thing to happen to us, since Cricket Hill.

Incredibly sessionable, non-offensive taste, good body and flavor, reasonably priced, and wide spread availability?

4.8/5  rDev +53.4%

I love this ale!! Its truly perfect. The apperance is exactly what to expect from an ale with amber/caramel in color and a head that slowly goes away to a nice lace to the glass the whole way down. The smell wasn't as strong as I was hoping but with a smell of malt and quite the smell of hops. The taste has a great hop finish. The mouthfeel is perfect in the mouth with a slick and smooth finish which makes for superior drinkability!! You will not be upset with this ale. I must say budweiser did a great job even though it is a little out of there element.

4.78/5  rDev +52.7%

p=Pours a copped amber color with a cream colored head.

S= smells of hops and barley

T= bitter taste with a hint of caramel sweetness

MF= smooth going down with light carbonation vary drinkable

this beer is great it is way beyond my expectations from budweiser
i wish the lager was of the same quality.

Cheers!

4.72/5  rDev +50.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Budweiser American Ale is a beer that is actually different from regular Budweiser. It has a amber color, which is different from other Budweiser beers.

When I drank it, I was able to taste the hops that was used to brew this ale. I will be drinking this again.

4.7/5  rDev +50.2%

In my opinion one of the most under rated beers available. I think most people forget how amazing beers are that are produced by AB. Especially on this highly skewed website. I think if blind taste tested more this beer would score a lot higher. It's really too bad because I know in a few years, we won't be able to find this one on tap.

Ok... first off, I had the bar tender pour into a room temperature pint glass. It formed a very nice head and really nice dark amber color. I really wanted to give this beer a fair shot because I know how hard people are on AB brand beers. I let the beer sit for a few minutes so I could really taste it... Wow! Could this be? A brewery that is known for consistantly brewing filtered easy to drink lagers actually knows how to brew an amazing ale???

I love the taste and although not highly hopped, there is a lot of flavor. I actually prefer a lighly hopped, more roasted malt flavor so maybe this is just more my style. This beer seems to have a light mouthfeel but amazing clean and crisp finish kind of like AB's flagship beer.

I really wanted to hate this beer, but just don't have anything bad to say!!!

4.68/5  rDev +49.5%

This beer had sparked my attention from when I first learned that Anheuser-Busch was brewing a hoppy potion behind closed doors. The sleek amber bottle bearing a soaring eagle is a bold statement that claimed to be a symbol of America. This better be damn good.
I cracked off the cap and poured the star spangled brew into a mug, being extra generous with the head because I know it wont be there for long. A nice off white head floated atop a dark sea of amber.
In edition to the hops and the malt, there is a bit of a wheat smell. It isn't overly powerful, the night before I spilled a bit on the floor(God forgive me) and it was not sticky in this morning.
After a big tasty drink, I discovered a perfect balance of hops and malt. Not to be too unconventional, but it kind of tastes like maple syrup if you can mentally eliminate everything that makes it sweet. The head just melts away in your mouth. This beer is a good dog, it doesn't bit at all and it goes down smoothly. I hate to call it drinkability like piss water bud light, its just a damn good beer that is hard to stop drinking.

4.6/5  rDev +47%

Much better than Budweiser, Bud Light, or Bud Select.

Appearance - Has a light brown color - looks good.
Smell - Smells very good - like citrus.
Taste - It has a mild bitter taste but it is not too strong. Well balanced taste.
Mouthfeel - Normal
Drinkability - Very easy to drink.

I will definitely buy this beer again.

4.58/5  rDev +46.3%

Wow! Its a change that I didn't expect. Thank you for making something that I like very much,but don't disappoint me by discontinuing because of poor sales.
It has a very hoppy aftertaste,which can be confused with being bitter, although its not overwhelming. My thoughts are that maybe A&B is copying Bass ale and/or Sam's Stock ale.
I prefer the bottle being cold when first served, although I had no regrets sipping this ale while its tempature was decreasing. This is not your Budweiser lager that many are used to. Don't be disappointed, but give it a chance.

alcohol is 5.3%

4.55/5  rDev +45.4%

poured from bottle into pilsner glass

this is defiantley one of my favorite beers to date.

a- darker than regular budweiser, caramel brown color, decent head that doesnt last very long.

s- best smelling beer i have ever had, hoppy and sweet, this beer smells perfect

t- hardly noticable alcohol taste, excellent aftertaste,

m/d- kind of heavy and filling but i could easily drink an entire six pack by myself

4.53/5  rDev +44.7%

This is truly great beer, in the sense that it's mass-produced but not typical American swill. This

beer is very flavorful, refreshing, and satisfying. Even though AB makes a lot of the

aforementioned swill, this beer is, in my humble opinion, the "standard" beer. Many are worse,

but few are better.

4.5/5  rDev +43.8%

4.5/5  rDev +43.8%

4.45/5  rDev +42.2%

Overall one of my favorite beers to "splurge" on. Found it with a buddy over the summer. He warned me it was a little stout. Well, let's just say he's a light beer drinker.

Pours a nice light mahogany with an almost creamy looking head that sticks around for a minute or two. Light lacing. Good first impression, with mainly malts. A little sweet. Very few hops bitterness. Mouthfeel is light for an American Red, but a good balance of carbonation and weight. Hints of caramel and an almost woody taste.

Just edited this now that my taste is a little more refined, and I don't care who you are, this stuff is good. A while of not having it has made me appreciate it that much more. There is very little in the negative department I can say about this one. I hope Budweiser keeps it around a long time.

4.38/5  rDev +39.9%

I must say I was pleasently surprized at the taste of this ale. Very nice and not at all what I was expecting from past attempts by AB.
Poured a nice clear amber with a off white, 3 finger head that lasted quite a while, medium lacing.
Nice hoppy smell, not over the top and the taste was the same.
Definately worth a try.

4.35/5  rDev +39%

Beer snobs will never understand what an achievement this American Ale truly represents. Unlike the Michelob portfolio which concerns itself mostly with the parameters of any given style, Budweiser American Ale does something that is highly unlikely from Anheuser-Busch, they have created a beer with a distinctive personality.
Having tasted many many American ales, from Samuel Adams, Goose Island, Saranac, Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Stone, Ballantine, Bell's, you name it... Budweiser Ale belongs with all of these. I could recognize this tasty ale in a blind taste test. A dry-hopped recipe with personality.

4.33/5  rDev +38.3%

Budweiser American Ale

From a 22oz, poured into a glass.

A. Budweiser American Ale poured a light, translucent red, with, believe it or not, a nice frothy head. Yes, there is lace, too. Great carbonation rounds out a very good-looking beer.

S. Not too much going on here, Just a fresh "ale" scent.

T. This is where I was blown away. It has a nice, subtle hop taste to it, nothing overboard, but yet what do you expect with AB. I wasn't looking at this as a top 100 beer, and wanted to rate it based on what a mass produced semi-craft beer could do. This rated highly with me.

M. Very juicy. No one flavor takes over, its a combination of them that gives this beer a great mouthfeel. Nice and dry on the way down, leaving you to want another drink.

D. Very much so. Beer snobs be damned, AB has created a beer that has taken my $ away from Sam Adams when I want a solid American beer.

4.33/5  rDev +38.3%

Ok just picked up this at my local beer establishment, and it was a severe surprise to me since I've never heard of it....yet

appearence: Def. has a nice cooper tone with a bit of auburn yellow mixed in. Surely I sense a head, but quickly dissipates to almost nothingness. Not surprised Anheuser.

Smell: At first simple hop tones and grainy odor, but once I really focus, I can really start to smell the caramel scent, but nothing I can write home about.

Taste: The carbanation is a bit overwhelming at first, but then the true flavor of the thick malts kick in. Something that I liked.

Mouthfeel: I did enjoy the maltiness and the smoothness to the texture of this ale. Surprised I can even classify this as a ale myself. I like the sub-medium body.

Drinkability: This product surprised me to the very end. I really enjoyed this product and seeing that it's considered a Bud product, it changes my opinion of the whole genre. Will try again.

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have a tendency to drink mostly imported (preferably Belgian) beer but I was wandering in the beer store and got curious about the crafty look of the bottle and the display.

The beer pours a really nice reddish color with a thin and quickly dissipating head. I liked the taste of it even though I was very surprised at the very lingering hoppy bitterness of the first glass.

Overall this is a really nice alternative to a lager and a very decent beer. I have read many of the reviews and I think that many of them are unfair. Sadly enough the Budweiser name gives off preconceived notions of mediocre quality and this results in many turning their nose up immediately and putting down the brew. I don't usually drink bud or miller or coors either but I try to keep an open mind. I won't be replacing my regular for this beer but I will buy it and drink it again. Don't discount it just because it is a A-B product.

4.22/5  rDev +34.8%

I am very impressed with the taste of Budweiser American Ale. I am impressed that any beer from St Louis could have this much flavor. This beer pours reddish in color with a nice frothy head.
The taste is malty and hoppy - the hops do stand out. This beer is very drinkable.
At $5 for a sixer this beer can not be beat.

Reviewed as an American Amber
listed as 5.3% ABV, 177 cals p12os
bottle>mug

A 4.5 - very respectable appearance, good 2 finger foamy/frothy head. bronze-amber in color. head reduces to a moon cratered field of foam with good head retention. Cheers to AB on this one!
S 4.0 - sublte malty presence, reminds me of a good brew day
T 4.0 - "respectable" -I dig the taste, great as a session beer if the price is right. I would drink this over Bud any day! More malty than hoppy. This is not a hoppy beer by any means - you have been warned.
MF 4.0 - has a clean macro feel to it, medium on carbo, med-thin body for an amber
D 5.0 - I drink this beer a lot. I buy it in 22 oz bomber bottle for $1.79. You can always scrounge up $2, and the bottles are great to bottle home brew in. It's not my favorite beer, but it's good and much better than most American macro products. All in all for the price, availibity, bottle re-use and "respectable" taste I give it a 5.0 on drinkability!

4.22/5  rDev +34.8%

Pours reddish amber with think creamy off-white head. Think lace hangs throughout the drink.

Aroma is of rich hops with slight maltiness. Flavor is rich and slightly sweet with nicely balanced hop bitterness. Finishes smooth and satisfying with little aftertaste other than sweet deliciousness.

A great macro ale, wonderful, surprising, and delicious. A must try!!

4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

12oz bottle from Shaw's supermarket. Pours a crystal-clear amber-red body with a half inch of quickly dissipating head. Smells bready, with caramel and a slight citrus hop presence. Tastes like a nice balance between citrussy American hops and bready caramel malt. On the lighter side of medium bodied with ample carbonation. Very very drinkable. While Amber ale is a bit of a catch-all category, this is a solid example of the style. A bit pedestrian compared to what I'm used to, and not the best example of the style I've had, but a tasty, drinkable, easy to find, and inexpensive brew, and I wouldn't mind picking this one up more often.

Budweiser American Ale from Anheuser-Busch