Budweiser American Ale - Anheuser-Busch

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: KI9A on 06-08-2008

Reviews: 765 | Hads: 1,100
1.17/5  rDev -63.2%

This product has the qualities of being engineered in a lab to take market share from Sierra Nevada, Alpha King and Dogfish. I can qualify this beer by the Monty Python joke - why is this beer like sex in a canoe - it's f..in' close to water. Its not offensive but it has no character. My advice to BUD is to divert the capital used for marketing into product development.

I wanted so much to give BUD the benefit of the doubt but I have buyers remorse. I am returning this to the store and complaining to the store manager. I am not slamming the beer so much as I am tired of inferior beer from Bud. They monopolize shelf space with, INHO, an inferior product.

Thank you Beer Advocate and all those that look to this web site for the truth about beer.
I raise my glass for great American upstarts and 3 cheers for better beer.

To anyone considering this beer, spend a couple of more greenbacks and try a real craft American Ale. I promise you your life will change for the better. Keep it simple BUD = DUD. Look at it this way - you work hard for your beer budget - why not try better beer. Bud and the INBEV corporation do not care about better beer - they simply care about better margins. Bud is the Walmart of beer. Low prices, low quality, bad experience.

1.42/5  rDev -55.3%

Much better than regular Budweiser. It actually has a nice balanced taste with an amber overtone that is more flavorful than regular Budweiser.

Nowhere near the best tasting beer, but an improvement and for being a cheaper beer there are far worse to drink.

1.43/5  rDev -55%

I was at Green Mill tonight and was looking for a good beer to have with my pizza. They didn't have many options other than a few macros. I have recently heard of the Budweiser American Ale as being a "reasonable" macro brew to try. I should have known better than to try this, as I hate Bud and Bud Light.

The beer starts out looking pretty damn good. It pours a beautiful amber color with a stong white head atop. The beer didn't even seem overcarbonated, like most macro lagers. With an unexpected excitement, I drew the glass closer to experience the aroma. Unfortunately there was nothing there. I tried and tried, but couldn't good anything. Then after I swirled it for awhile, I finally got something. A strong aroma of fusel alcohol and unpleasant esters hit my nose. Not one hop or malt aroma, like an amber ale should have. With reservation, I took a drink. Once again there was nothing, other than what I hate about macro lagers. I could taste fusel alcohol, inappropriate esters, no hops, no malts, and just horrible nothingness. On the upside it didn't make me gag. It was more like an unpleasant glass of water. The mouthfeel was ok, but a little light.

Overall, this was a pretty terrible beer. It looked good initially. Actually I was very excited to begin with. Perhaps this is why it fell so far down. The aroma was not only non-existent, it was foul. The flavor was much of the same. The mouthfeel was a little closer to the style, but couldn't salvage this beer. I will never buy this beer again. I don't even know if I would drink it for free. It is blasphemous to good craft beers that are out there. Budweiser really needs to try harder if they want to make a good craft brew. Maybe they should stop trying to please the masses and really try to make a quality product. In the end, I hate to bash beer, but I hope this review helps others save some money and try to find a beer that is actually worthwhile.

1.55/5  rDev -51.3%

i didnt go into this already knowing i would hate it or think i would hate it. Pours a light copper color with a weak white head. slight hop aroma, but more of a sugary smell. It tastes like regular bud with molasses added in and more of a hop taste than the regular bud, but i would rather drink the regular bud than ever drink this again. Drank 1/2 of it anyway.

Went back to the bar that had 2 weeks later. Figured what the hell and give it a 2nd try, same thing. Sorry, it is gross.

1.62/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1

It smelled ok, but this beer had nothing at all on the back end. It was absolutely horrible. I bought a six pack and tried one and thought it sucked. I waited until another day to try the second one just in case there was something wrong with my taste buds. The second was just as bad as the first and it confirmed my belief that this beer was undrinkable. Pass on this one, it was the only beer I have ever poured down the sink to get rid of.

1.64/5  rDev -48.4%

Ok what the hell were they thinking when they tried dropping this one on us... The tv commercials hyped it up so much with its "carmel malt flavors and cascade hops" They were wrong... The beer smells and tastes almost just like any other bud or bud light I have ever tried... There may have been bit of a more malty flavor there, but no hops for me! Overall don't try it unless someone is paying for it; because it's a waste of yours!

1.68/5  rDev -47.2%

Pours a clear amber color with a weak beige head. Teh nose has grainy matls and thats about it. As does the taste. Thin body is overly carbonated. Taste adn feel leed to poor drinkablity. This is not my favorite red by any means. I'm glad I bought a single and not a 6 pack.

1.7/5  rDev -46.5%

Appearance - Medium reddish-brown. Clear. Tall, ivory head quickly recedes.

Smell - Light. Mostly mild caramel malt. Not getting any hops.

Taste - Medium caramel malt is the principal flavor. Seems a little watery here. Finishes with the faintest hint of citrusy hops. Pretty bland for style.

Mouthfeel - Medium-light. Well Carbonated.

Drinkability - Why buy something like this from someone like this. Not an entirely malevolent creation, but far worse than a red ale needs to be. Quite honestly, with Bud's reputation, they need to make a beer that stands out from the crowd (in a good way) if it wants to entice the beer tasting crowd.

1.76/5  rDev -44.7%

Smells like a macro, tastes overly bitter and overly metallic. It's like a cross between a macro and a craft beer, i'm not sure if I got a bad bottle of this or not. A little grapefruit note, not a whole lot there. Mouthfeel is heavier than a macro but not much more. Not that drinkable due to the taste.

Honestly I think that Michelob Amber Bock is a better beer than this but that isn't saying much. I really think that a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone would've been a much better beer for Anheuser-Busch to label as an "American Ale". This isn't something I would ever buy personally because there are so many better beers out there.

1.8/5  rDev -43.4%

I was telling myself as I bought this 6 pack that I was going to be completely objective, and review the beer for what it was and not based on the Budweiser name. I thought they had turned a corner, and were going to actually try to make a beer to cater to people who enjoy craft beer. I read the first couple reviews and thought that they might just be biased from the name of the beer.

They were not, it's all true.

A year to the day since my last beer review, I can't say much good about this beer vs. the style. Not much malt flavor, hops are underwhelming to say the least. I won't go into much detail, but I am sure you can find local crafts for cheaper than this that are much better. I know I can.

1.8/5  rDev -43.4%

12 oz bottle given to me by a buddy of mine who works for AB on monday July 14, the day after Anheuser Busch was bought out by InBev. Historicale? i think not.

Ok, this guy surprised me at first. It poured an orange/amber color with a beige head. Not bad looking at all. The nose...hops? Yes hops! the nose also, not that bad. The taste is what killed this thing for me, tons of 'off' woody/smoke notes, lots of 'oops' metal taste, the malts are not...malty, it tastes like beachwood and cornflakes, burnt to a crisp. The hops are not even that appealing in flavor, no character, just bland subtle bitterness, lazy hops. But the worst part about its taste was its after-taste, the bad flavors hung around forever...FOR EV ER, to the point that it hurt my stomach after a while. Its body was of a medium texture and i would never purchase or recommend this beer.

1.81/5  rDev -43.1%

here we go, we the oddly placed pantheon of real ale/beer drinkers attempt to be objective about the Goliath, A-Busch....

let's be honest...

appearance is ok...obviously carbonated. red-orange, clear. nothing new. or old. or unique. big creamy head goes down slow. looks good from the top...

smell is there. you just have to really make sure you are 100% healthy, have no sinus troubles. i sense malt...but i can only wonder if i am projecting and trying to be nice.

taste is bland. how can this be compared to SAdams? really? again, unbalanced (as mentioned here) malt/(maybe)hops...

mouthfeel-flat. i think all the carbonation went to the head...(it's gone, too. so is the lacing...)

drinkability...isn't that the domain of bud light? i don't know, i am done with the corporate stealth of the big three...this isn't anything new and just adds more fog to the true beer advocate world. let's not pretend this is even worthy. i really tried.

i can't bear to go into detail why i don't care for this. good for the usual, non-discriminatory intravenous approach to imbibing yeasty concoctions. maybe a special brew for holidays for the working man who likes his bud or miller or coors. i was once a carpenter for nearly 2 decades...and despite my limited budget, i rarely found a reason to stoop down.

drink this, pretend you like it. talk yourself into it. heck, maybe your family has stock in A-B...but be honest. crack open a Stone IPA...or any Dogfish Head .... you can't deny where the craft lies and where the crap piles....ugh

p.s. that eagle looks like a ripoff from Yuengling...smell and taste, if anything, are less malty and more marketing than you can imagine.

1.81/5  rDev -43.1%

So this is Budweiser's answer to craft beer. Well, I purchased a sixer of this because I was at a CVS in a small town and, well, the price was right and there wasn't anything else that I wanted.

I poured it into a pint glass at my friend's house. It looked pretty good actually. Amber with a nice off-white head. One looks alone, I could not tell this apart from any other amber. No lacing on glass... not that I expected any.

No real smell to speak of. Maybe a bit of citrus fruit and biscuit... but nothing of any consequence.

At first I think it tastes like a Bud Light. But no, that isn't it. It tastes metallic! Malt metal! So this is what beer tastes like when you're going through chemotherapy! Oh but wait, I am not going through chemotherapy! There is some fruit here but hell if I can dig it out of this mess. And then it's gone. No lingering aftertaste. You could smack your lips and forget you drank anything.

Super carbonated and yet kind of listless. It doesn't coat your mouth... which is good because if it did it would taste like your mouth was covered in tinny fizz.

I finished it and wanted another one anyway. I guess, just like Bud Light, this beer has drinkability. What a crock though. This could be just a swing and miss for Ann.Busch... but I don't think so. This beer reeks of lack of effort. This one is a scam, pure and simple. Don't be fooled.

1.93/5  rDev -39.3%

12 oz. bottle. Pours an amber color with a small, fizzy off-white head. Aroma was caramel malts, yeasty, and decent floral hops. Flavor was similar. Very watery mouthfeel, with a bitter finish. Basically this beer smelled and tasted like budweiser with more hops. Blah.

1.95/5  rDev -38.7%

A - Very clean and clear amber/red color with a thick off-white head. Excellent retention and lacing. Giving it the hope that the advertising has contributed to this new sibling of busch beer

S - very lightsweet, bread malt aroma with a citrus note underneath.

T - There is the faintest citrus taste that comes through but I would not call it a hop bite at all. Very light hop taste. However tastes like another budweiser beer with little to no great palate of taste

M/D - Very passable amber that is like taking Fat Tire or Alasken Amber and drowning it in a five gallon bucket of water. Very poor mouthfeel in which I wouldn't waste time in selecting this beer unless at a bar and it is only one on tap and a special makes it a steal of a deal.

1.96/5  rDev -38.4%

Original Rating Date:
October 18, 2008

I'm glad that Budweiser is making an effort, but this isn't very enjoyable at all. Pours well enough to look good, but nothing on the nose. Weak, watered down, overcarbonated. This is basically just a heavier Budweiser. I won't have this again.

1.98/5  rDev -37.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Great looking beer - nice clear amber with a generous head, good retention and decent lacing. Perhaps this is its downfall. After setting such high expectations from the appearance, the aroma was a real letdown. Nose was dominated by unpleasant soapy and overripe fruit odors. The taste wasn't nearly as unpleasant, and I'm dumbfounded that a beer that smells this bad can have a taste that isn't offensive at all. Truth is, I can't do better than to say it isn't offensive. An unimpressive caramel flavor can be found, and a weak sense of malts, but you really have to pay attention to try to find it. Mouthfeel is ok, featuring a medium body and over-the-top carbonation. Unfortunately, the aftertaste is reminiscent of the aforementioned aromas. I bought six of these, and I'm afraid five of them will be in my refrigerator for a long long time - unless some unwanted guests drop by.

Single bottle from the Davis Co-Op purchased on a whim. Pours extremely clear and reddish brown to terracotta. Short wispy white head falls off to near nothing. Laces in a watery fashion. Apple and vague diluted malt odor, very faint aroma overall. Flavor is thin, some apple and malt sweetness. Vague hop presence, mostly in bitterness but a bit of grassy flavor too. Hint of caramel. Everything is so...non-assertive. So plain. Tastes clean, if that's something. Thin bodied. Meh.

2.01/5  rDev -36.8%

A= Pours light brown/amber with a finger and a half of head that disappeared quickly with very little lacing.
S = Very little malts maybe a touch of citrus hops, very disappointing.
T= Sweet at first and finishes with some hop flavor. If you are looking for a beer with some taste don't waste your money on this!
M= Light and way over carbonated.
D= It went down smooth, and has "Drinkability" but this beer sucks.
My thoughts:
This is a crappy Anheuser-Busch attempt and a micro-brew.

2.06/5  rDev -35.2%

I really wanted to give this one a shot with an open mind by being blind to the label and just judging this brew based on the beer inside the bottle.
Appears a semi-transparent copper toned amber with a small white head that quickly fades into a mild cap. Spotty lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is metallic up front, with cut grass, wet hay, and mild citrus notes.
Taste is of the same, uninspiring, wet metal flavor which was hopped by some skunk weed, cut grass, and herbs...pretty gross.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, metallic, sweet, and bitter with a toasty nuttiness coming through in the finish.
I appreciate the effort of A-B trying to go outside the norm but it really didn't do it for me.

2.06/5  rDev -35.2%

Drank out of the bottlel, served cold.

S-sugary malt smell with nothing else percieved

T-extract tasting malt flavor. Sweet, somewhat like honey, I cannot distinguish the hop flavor here

D-They really need to go back to the drawing board on this. Very one dimensional. Little hop flavor (even though its considered a red). It just seems very straight forward malt flavor. There are much better choices out there than this.

2.06/5  rDev -35.2%

Look: When poured, Budweiser American Ale is an amber-colored liquid with a surprisingly decent off-white head that stays for a decent amount of time, leaving a decent amount of lacing upon its eventual demise. The appearance is likely the best part of this beer, although even it is kind of disappointing. Few carbonation bubbles in this one.

Smell: I honestly didn't smell much at all. Well, until it warmed up quite a bit (to the point of being too warm). By then, the scents I gathered basically screamed pale ale. Take the smell of a pale ale, weaken it to a fraction of its original potency, and boom... that's what I get out of Budweiser American Ale. If you're a pale ale lover, you might like that description. Then again, if you're a pale ale drinker you'd probably rather have the "full" effect and not a muted aroma.

Taste: Once again, I get a weak pale ale feeling here... that's what it tastes like to me. Maybe this would be a good step for someone who wants to be introduced with pale ales without going all the way for their first beer of the style. I can't help but have the word "bland" flow through my mind though, as it really is weak.

Mouthfeel: Heavier than regular Budweiser, that's for sure, but still quite light. Too light for my tastes, considering it's an ale. Hell, it seems too light in every way to me so far.

Drinkability: I'm having a hard time putting these down. I'm not sure if it's the fact that I'm not a fan of pale ales to begin with (which this stuff reeks of), or if it's just the beer. I'm leaning on number two, as I have had a few pale ales that--while they had some of the same qualities I don't like about this beer--they at least made me want to drink more. This one makes me feel like I wasted money on a six-pack, of which I felt I had enough of after one or two bottles.

2.07/5  rDev -34.9%

Welp, she sure pours well, a clear copper - topped with a very nice and lacey tan head. Looking good in the ol' Corsendonk tulip.

Ah oh, NO aroma to this brew. Seriously. And the taste is just as lifeless. Nothing. Really. Dead as the Cubs chances in the post season. Maybe like someone dipped a hop bud into a Budweiser, heh.

Glad a buddy gave me one to try and I didn't spend a dime of hard earned money on this garbage.

AB should be ashamed.

2.12/5  rDev -33.3%

I thought I would give the big boys a shot with this one. Especially after the Michelob pale ale being decent. The first thing I noticed was how clear it was, a signature Budweiser trait which I won't downplay, but my good impressions ended there. It felt a little flat, and quite bland. I guess I was expecting a Sam Adams and got... well, a dressed up Bud. I kind of expected more from a company with such deep pockets.

On a bright note though, I noticed that they ditched the twist-off for an actual pop-top. That's at least a step in the right direction.

2.15/5  rDev -32.4%

Appearance: Crystal-clear copper body. Pours a good two-finger, frothy head that leaves decent lacing. This presents rather well.

Aroma: Pretty thin. There's some sweet caramel malt and some hints at the advertised Cascade hops, but nothing substantial.

Taste: Once again, very thin. There's an initial burst of caramel malt that fades rapidly. I'm not getting the characteristic Cascade citrus, or really anything out of the hop department at all. There's still that shitty twang and the bizarre metallic taste you get with other AB beers. There's not really much in the way of an aftertaste, except a bit of biscuity malt.

Mouthfeel: A watery light body, with smooth carbonation. Very poor.

Drinkability: With hardly any flavor and a thin body, this goes back only slightly slower than water. Thing is, you probably won't be ordering a second anyway.

Verdict: Fool me twice, shame on me. American Ale is just another bland Anheuser-Busch beer. While it might be the best of the line, that really doesn't count for anything. If all you drink is Bud Light and you're looking for something a little more daring, you really can't go wrong with American Ale as a stepping stone. However, if you're already solidly in the craft-beer world, this is nothing but a novelty.

Budweiser American Ale from Anheuser-Busch