Budweiser American Ale - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser American AleBudweiser American Ale

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: KI9A on 06-08-2008)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser American Ale Alström Bros
Jerzy86

1.63/5  rDev -48.1%

Ok what the hell were they thinking when they tried dropping this one on us... The tv commercials hyped it up so much with its "carmel malt flavors and cascade hops" They were wrong... The beer smells and tastes almost just like any other bud or bud light I have ever tried... There may have been bit of a more malty flavor there, but no hops for me! Overall don't try it unless someone is paying for it; because it's a waste of yours!

09-24-2008 21:00:40 | More by Jerzy86
youngleo

3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured to a good head that hung around awhile. Very little lacing if any. Head was offwhite in color and the Ale itself was reddish copper. Very light smelling. Some alcohol smell and maybe a little malt. Had a bitter taste. I think to bitter. You could also taste the alcohol. When I finished a couple I thought I needed a glass of water. Thats how dry it was. To dry for me. Felt ok in the mouth. If anything, the carbonation might be a bit much. I dont think I could make this a session beer. I felt that for as dry as it was, your thirst would be never quenched.

09-24-2008 18:11:19 | More by youngleo
spointon

3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

I had this one on tap tonight at Cemeno's in Joliet, IL.

A= This ale poured an extremely clear, deep copper color that has a slight redness to it. The off white head poured 1/2" and rather quickly disappeared almost completely. Some very thin lacing did cling to the glass.

S= I was surprised at the initial lack of aroma coming from this one. I decided it was too cold and let it sit for a long time before resuming my tasting. Even at the proper temp, this ale was very clean and produced only the slightest of aroma profiles. I found bakery malts, the absolute slightest hop note, and (unbelievably) some alcohol when I swirled the glass.

T= I don't know what to say. Every bit of me wants to find something good to say here, but the brewers somehow found a way to remove 95% of the ale flavor from this ale. Seriously, the predominant flavors were a slightly soapy note and a slight solvent alcohol bite. Yes there were some seriously muted caramel malty flavors in there too, and the tiniest slice of hops for about a half second, but my impression was very little taste followed by fizzy alcohol. I really wish the brewers had left this ale unfiltered.

MF= Light-medium bodied with a relatively high and coarse carbonation level.

D= I wanted to be a good BA and give this one its fair due...and I was severely let down. This is not even in the same ballpark as the "good" amber/red ales on the American market. In fact, I am close to thinking that I would rather have a Bud lager if they were my only two choices, but that's likely just the disappointment talking. As for drinkability, it goes down fairly easy, but not in a pleasurable way.

09-24-2008 04:00:33 | More by spointon
Spikester

Oregon

3.8/5  rDev +21%

Pale copper color with small cream color head. Moderate lacings.
Aroma is nice malts, some floral scent just not very pronounced.
Taste is complex somewhat spicy malts with a bitter hop follow. Bitter semi-dry finish. Taste improved as beer temperature warmed up. Saved about two fingers in the bottom of the glass to taste after it hit room temperature. Still pretty good.
Mouthfeel was average, carbonation was a bit too much. Drinkability was quite good though I did taste a bit of alcohol which surprised me.
Overall a good beer comparable to many micro Summer Ales.

09-24-2008 03:48:41 | More by Spikester
becktone

From notes 9-8-08

Since I first heard about this one I've wanted to try it. I know A-B can brew good beer, just look at 2007's Brewmaster's Private Reserve....one damn good Doppelbock. Got this bottle as a free sample from my fellow co-workers in the beer dept. at the Party Source. Let's see how it is...

Eye: Pry off cap...interesting, maybe some quality in here. Well the color is nice, definitely a red beer with some brown added to it to give it some depth. When light passes through it is obviously red-garnet- but when sitting in normal light it looks much more of a nut brown color. Head is poor, no retention and pretty sad lacing as well.

Nose: Pretty neutral aroma, not much here. I get a soapy aroma in there at first then it dissipates or just plain disappears entirely, weird. A little bit of cascade hops too, citrus and floral they way cascade are....you know...Pretty good malt backbone, enough to support the hops, though there's not much in the way of it coming through to form any real interesting aroma, just a nice malt backbone-some caramel but that is about it. Pretty nice overall.

Tongue: Nice malt backbone balanced by hop bitterness and flavor. Flavor seems to be short lived, with alcohol (that shouldn't be detected in a beer of this style...or any beer for that matter with an ABV as low as this) or at least some off flavor easily coming through-maybe cardboard or some such. Caramel notes come through followed by some floral hops. Overall fleeting flavor that isn't very deep. I'm noticing some bubble gum flavors here....I hate bubble gum. I really don't think that it belongs in an American Amber. It is a flaw...okay were this a German Hefe, but HEY! Its not...

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Pretty light on the palate, a bit watery but still okay and within parameters for the style. Carbonation is a bit rough and forced, not like a soda, but still a bit rough and higher and less delicate than I would like. Overall okay but nothing outstanding. This is one I might pick up when I want something cheap to get drunk on with some flavor (I hope, don't know how much a sixer will run yet...). However, I'm not a fan of the banana ester I'm getting here. I was fine with drinking this beer until my brain recognized the bubble gum flavor, now its hard for me to finish....maybe its just me...but now I can't take a sip without bubble gum flavor here..ughh.

09-23-2008 22:54:17 | More by becktone
tpd975

3.68/5  rDev +17.2%

Picked up from a Bud Rep in Delaware

A: Pours a real lovely vibrant copper hue with a nice one finger foamy head. The retention is good and streams of bubbles say this one is well carbonated. Nice chunks of lace are noted as well. Looks good.

S: Medium aromas made up mostly of malt. Tons of rich sweet caramel with notes of bread. No hops detected at all, which is a bit of a let down.

T: Nice bold malt aroma. Big on the caramel with those same bready notes. Some sweet apple can be detected along with some very slight grass green hops.

M: Medium to light in body with snappy carbonation.

D: Good. It's not the best ale in the world but it is rather good for the style. No matter what they call this one its an amber ale. It has nice malt character. The only thing I would liked to have seen was a bit more hops in the finish. I sometimes find myself saying this is not a bad beer for a BMC, but this one is just plain not bad at all.

Congrats AB for a step in the right direction.

09-23-2008 21:06:26 | More by tpd975
abankovich

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured a nice rich amber color with a little carbonation showing through. Good deep color and density in the glass. The head and lacing was very minimal however.

The aroma was on the lighter side with some caramel malty sweetness and a very faint hop aroma. The aroma naturally became a little more pronounced as the beer warmed up but I was left wishing it was more aromatic overall.

The taste had some toastiness and breadiness in the mix that added to the aforementioned caramel malt sweetness towards the back end. Up front the slight hop bitterness was present. I say slight because I was expecting more after reading this was supposedly dry-hopped. However the amount of hop presence is relatively true to style.

Light to medium bodied mouthfeel with some carbonation present. There is a lingering sweetness left on the tongue in the aftertaste. With no over the top flavors or aromas, this is a very approachable amber ale and definitely easy to drink. As it should be, this is a good entry level amber that will hopefully introduce the masses to the differences between ales and lagers. Hopefully AB does a good job encouraging the consumer to drink this one a little warmer than their "ice cold" marketing campaigns do for the lagers because even just 10 minutes at room temperature after coming out of the tap makes a big difference for this one.

09-23-2008 19:28:31 | More by abankovich
clemtig76

South Carolina

3.73/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle part of a six pack picked up at my local Wal-Mart for $6.14. Since this was an AB product, my first inclanation was to twist off the cap and pour it into my Sam Adams glass. To my surprise, the bottle was a pry off. Imagine that, an AB product with a pry off cap!
Pours a nice amber color with a faint malty/hoppy aroma. Taste is very similar, nothing hop heads would get excited about, but better than expected from AB. At this price point, it could easily become my session beer of choice. I think AB has a winner here.

09-23-2008 12:37:25 | More by clemtig76
Mardukk

3.18/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed a six pack of this tonight, first time I've seen it and curious as to what AB has come up with.

A nice American pale ale appearance with some lacing and fine carbonation. Quite impressed with it's look as I was not expecting much.
There is little to no smell, maybe a hint of roasted grains/malts.

Not much in the taste department. A suprising lack of malts with a touch of hops. Think budweiser without the yeast water taste and an extra hop or two.

Mouthfeel is about as thin as I've had for this style.
Incredibily drinkable because there is little to it.

Overall I would say this is the second best beer created by AB behind Amberbock. In situations with very limited beer selection this would be a good choice.

09-23-2008 03:00:12 | More by Mardukk
SFLpunk

Vermont

2.4/5  rDev -23.6%

12oz brown pry-top glass bottle with a freshness "code" but no date.

Appearance: Quarter inch white head fades rather quickly to leave a thin veil of white, with larger foam bubbles along the rim. A reddish-amber color with medium-sized bubbles.

Nose: Smells like borderline red ale, raw sugar, dry marzipan, and a fruit basket-style bouquet.

Palate: Light- to Medium-light-body. Corn husk, lightly roasted caramel malt perhaps, and fall smells. Also, a lime zest on the finish. I thought of pumpkin for a second, but I think it's just an association, not something that's actually present here.

Notes: The appearance and the aroma were promising, and I was hoping for a decent brew. The second it hit my tongue, I knew it was an AB product and it tasted like they just brewed their normal mash as an ale and maybe added a little caramel color. I don't mean to hate on this beer, I really had hopes for it, but I can't say that it delivered. Will the average beer drinker like it? Most likely it will do well for a little while, and then people will forget about it. Maybe if they served it with a lime wedge...

(Others have pointed out this would make a transition beer from Macro to Micro, but I disagree. I think those already exist - Sam Adams, for example - and I think this is just going to be a flash in the pan over the next year. Although, if it does get people away from Macro, I do admit that IS a good thing...I just don't have high expectations that this will do much good.)

09-22-2008 22:22:56 | More by SFLpunk
LarryV

3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

Pours a nice reddish-amber color with a 1/2 inch frothy head. Aroma is pretty neutral, mostly malt. Hops are there to keep the malt sweetness in check, but not as a feature presentation (I don't think hops need to be a dominating feature in every beer). The hops do work to check the sweetness and provide a nice balance. If there was any other name besides Budweiser associated with this beer it would probably get higher ratings. This is a pleasant, well crafted brew that I could easily session. I gave this to a few of my friends without telling them what it was and they all said "this is good, what is it"?
Better than some of the craft brews I've tried, I'll buy it again.

One thing puzzles me and that's the use of the black print used for the description of the beer on the front of the bottle. Even with my glasses on and a good magnifying glass I could barely read it. Why bother even printing it?

09-21-2008 19:47:02 | More by LarryV
PatronWizard

3.23/5  rDev +2.9%

Had on tap at Adobe Deli in 29 Palms. If it made it here to the end of the road then it's everywhere. Very nice little, little, deli by the way. Poured into a big frosted mug...

Looked fairly nice. Transparent bronze. Decent little head sittin there.

Couldn't smell a thing except Budweiser. Thought it may have been to cold maybe. It warmed a little by the time I was done and still had little to no scent.

Don't even begin to believe you're gonna tastes any hops becuase you won't. I guess it might have one more hop than regular bud, but damn. Reminded me more of a lager than an ale.

Good old harsh carbonation. Wasn't a bad brew, I think I would order it every time I'm faced with an AB selection because it's definitely better than everything else they have.

Overall: when the opportunity presents itself...

09-21-2008 16:32:53 | More by PatronWizard
John_M

Oregon

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

This is by far and away the best beer I have had from AB. However, in comparison to most craft brewed ambers (which is what I would liken it to), it's decidedly average.

The beer pours a copper amber color with surprisingly good head retention and fair lacing. On the nose there's not really a whole lot going on. I get a hint of malt and light citrus, but that's it. On the palate this beer has some pleasant flavors of melon and light citrus. The beer is very light bodied, to the point of being a bit watery. Still, considering this beer was made by AB, the flavor profile is shockingly bold. Alcohol is barely noticeable in this beer, and drinkability is not bad. The flavors are a bit simple and uninspired, which is really my only criticism.

While there's nothing particularly remarkable about this beer from a flavor standpoint, what makes the beer remarkable is that it was made by AB, the king of the bland and insipid. As others have noted I think, this would make a good transition beer for those accustomed to BMC macro swill. While I probably will never buy another glass of it, there is nothing wrong with this beer.

09-21-2008 15:19:42 | More by John_M
hooligan

3.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured to a pitcher on-tap at my local bbq shack.

Tight bubbles settle to a thick soapy foam on a crystal clear ruby beer.

Smell is yeasty, with green apples and cut grass.

Mild, grassy hop astringency upfront with a chewy, savory roasted apple character, some fruit and breadiness closing up a snappy clean hop finish.

Light body with gentle fizz.

This beer was not what I was expecting from Budweiser at all. A great amber ale.

09-21-2008 03:38:30 | More by hooligan
khiasmus

South Carolina

3.78/5  rDev +20.4%

Received from Budweiser as a sample before it rolls out nationwide on the 29th. I;ve had to come back and edit my scores because I'm honestly so prejudiced against Bud that I had to think, "what would I be rating this if it was a local micro?"

Pours a pretty amber with excellent clarity but severely lacking in head and head retention, despite the constant bubbling.
Nose is of sweet malt, like crystal 60 freshly sparged. A bit of caramel and a hint of cascade in the back that balances a bit, but the overall impression of the nose is quite malty and sweet.
Flavor is well-balanced between the sweet malts and cascade bitterness. There's also a hint of biscuit. though a bit underwhelming, it's not bad at all. The very finish is just a bit sour, the same sourness I've gotten in every single AB brew I've had to date. What is that?
Mouthfeel is good. Adequate carbonation, a smooth, robust character, and a clean finish with the slightest hint of dryness.
I could actually drink several of these. While I'm opposed to supporting AB in lieu of craft micros, this is certainly a quaffable brew that will probably find its way into the redneck bars where the greats in microbrewing have yet to infiltrate, making it an excellent stepping stone for those that know nothing besides BMC. Cheers!

09-21-2008 00:28:07 | More by khiasmus
JoeCeez

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I have been eagerly anticipating this beer after reading about it and seeing so many comercials but I must admit I was expecting something a little better.

App: Not a bad start, clear copper/amber, creamy off white 3 fingered head after a strong pour.

Smell: not much going on here, some grainy malts, and this beer is supposed to be dryhopped with cascades? my first thought was, where's the hops???

Taste: overly artificial tasting sweetness caramel syrup/malt, somewhat grassy, Supposed to be hopped with cascades but I couldn't really detect any citrus notes to speak of. Slightly minerally and sour, wish it had some bitterness

Mouthfeel: thin, fizzy, smooth kinda reminds of Budweiser Lager but with a little more viscosity, no noticable bitterness, I'd be surprised if there were any more than 20 IBUs here

Drinkability: This, along with the appearance, is the strongest attribute. This beer goes down easy, it's a little too sweet and could be much more bitter, you can detect some alcohol as it warms but I'm sure that InBud would recommend drinking Bud Ale ice cold. I would only drink this if I was at a ballgame, a concert, or some other venue where my only other choices were Bud and Bud light.

09-20-2008 23:05:10 | More by JoeCeez
hiikeeba

3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

A - Pours up a crystal clear amber ale, with a creamy tan head.

S - Malt dominated with a hint of hops in the background.

T - Starts off malty, accented by slight hop flavor. Dried fruit flavors in the finish.

M - A little thin, but highly carbonated.

D - Very smooth and drinkable.

I admit, I was skeptical about this. But it's a darn nice beer.

09-20-2008 21:27:32 | More by hiikeeba
dmamiano

West Virginia

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

pours a medium copper color with a nice white head and lacing to boot.
Initial hit on the nose is hops....not huge but the presence of cascades is un mistakable. Malts also melding . Some breadiness detected in the nose and on the palate. Caramel and a bitter finish.
Also a kiss of metallic in the finish

09-20-2008 19:30:30 | More by dmamiano
BeenJammin

Kansas

3.63/5  rDev +15.6%

A - Dark amber with pretty good creamy beige head. There was decent retention and pretty good lacing

S - Sweet malty aroma but not much hops to speak of.

T - Caramel malts with a bit of cascade hops. There is some kind of fruity taste that I can't put my finger on.

M - Kind of light and watery

D - This is very drinkable. It was better than I expected and I wouldn't mind having this as the cheap option on tap at some of the local bars.

09-20-2008 18:30:12 | More by BeenJammin
swizzlenuts

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev +14%

A: Dark copper with a 2 finger head and a bit of carbonation.

S: Sweet caramel malts and a slight bit of fruits are present. Every once in a while you can get the spicy smell of the cascade to come out.

T: Pretty much just like the nose of the beer with a nice fruity bitterness. It's balanced and good, but the beer doesn't really do much.

M: Kind of watery

D: Yep

09-20-2008 15:55:27 | More by swizzlenuts
hustlesworth

3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

thanks to my AB rep Randy for the free samples.

nice to see the bottle has a new shape. and the word 'ale' is printed HUGE so anyone with even a shred of beer knowledge will notice that AB id capitalizing on this trend. bottled just over a month ago.

A- rather nice appearance. crystal clear reddish copper with golden highs and a nice light beige head that is definitely reminiscent of some of the finer english ales i've had. good retention and even better lace, in curls and patches that meld seamlessly into the vinyl-esque foam surface. plenty of sporadic rising bubbles, no surprise, and i'm left with a consistent chunky ring.

S- a bit odd, caramel malt and diacetyl, pretty diluted. not much hops in the aroma, only a touch of earthiness and some faint orange. i actually expected some noticeable cascades. smells very similar to an average english pale ale. some raisin, fig, melon, and toffee butterscotch. not bad, but not outstanding either.

T- where's the F'ing hops? they told me it was dry hopped. i'm sure it was, but not generously. very subdued flavor, there's alot of diacetyl up front that pushes through most of the flavor profile. near the end i get a just little bit of orange citrus and a clean (although mild) saaz-like bitterness. significantly more bitter than any other AB product to date, this will probably end up as a good crossover or 'gateway' beer into the realm of craft brews. i can't bust it for what it is, because it HAS to appeal to the palate of masses and if any ale, pale or red, would be acceptable to the general public, it would be this. as for attempts on a different style, it kicks the shit out of amber bock for sure. it's caramelly and butterscotchy and a little trail-mixy with the fruity yeast flavor and that's about it except for the minor hop touch at the end. and what a light touch it is. my score is reflecting the business aspect of this endeavor because right now it would be truly impractical for AB to take a stab at real craft brewing. that gets them 1 1/2 points.

MF- thin but with a slick feel. take a nice medium bodied english bitter then add 1/3 water and this is what you get. carbonation is on the low side of medium, my guess is that the top dogs figured this would make it feel more ale-like, considering the stereotypical british beer is "warm and not fizzy".

D- highly drinkable, and that, i believe along with appearance, is what this beer is focused on. superficial things. my call for depth is unanswered. this will be less popular than bud select and about the same as amber bock. i hope i'm wrong because i'd love to see everyone drinking this stuff right out the bottle but i don't know. it will be tough for a major company to delve into this market knowing that they made their fortune in a different one. that's why pizza hut doesn't have feta cheese and artichokes. but i will drink it, at a bar, all night.

09-20-2008 05:48:37 | More by hustlesworth
matty

3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Amber colored beer with a head that slowly fades.Aroma is faint caramel.Taste is caramel with a metallic aftertaste.This ale is smooth with good drinkability.This is not bad by any means I think I was hoping for more.Otherwise recommended and something I'm sure I'd try again.

09-20-2008 04:44:35 | More by matty
KeefD

3.65/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Got a bottle of this today from our local distributor, one week in advance. I must say, AB is doing a good job of marketing this beer, as I've had a thousand (ok, exaggerating a bit) customers ask for it already. Let's see what we've got:

Upon a sturdy pour, a large three finger head pops up in the imperial pint glass which recedes rather slowly leaving behind some nice fluffy foam and good chunky lacing. Dark amber/red color with an off-white head that fades into a nice cap that stays around. Looks great so far. If it were unfiltered, it would be perfect.

I'm getting a lot of maltiness in the nose. Not much in the way of citric hop aroma, which is surprising considering it's supposed to be dry hopped. I was hoping for a little more in the aroma, but hey, it's AB so I'll take what I can get. More hop notes comes out as it warms, not bad.

There's not an overly-complex flavor going on here. There's some caramel malt flavors, a bit of biscuit like quality, just subtle hints of hop bitterness. I'm assuming the IBU rating on this isn't too high, but there's a slight presence of hops which makes itself known as it warms. Upon warming, a decent citrus hop flavor shows up. Bright? I dunno about that. But not bad. A little thin and watery, but not overly so.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Not much carbonation from this bottle which could have been a result of the hard pour. Thin, more on the watery side than the full-bodied side. Goes down very easy however, and is quite drinkable.

There's nothing offensive about this beer. It is what it is. I didn't expect much more from this beer, as I never got my hopes up too high. It met it's expectations, but hardly exceeded them. It's drinkable as hell and quite sessionable. Definitely a great gateway beer into crafts, which is quite ironic methinks.

09-20-2008 02:24:33 | More by KeefD
Brad007

Vermont

3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a nice amber color with a one-finger head that leaves some lacing in the glass. Carbonation appears to be abundant.

Aroma is mainly malty and sweet. I do not smell the cascade hops that they claim to use. There is some hop bitterness on the nose though. As it warms up, a subtle note of caramel sticks out.

Taste is sweet and malty upfront with a hint of caramel. There is some hop bitterness in the middle but it seems muted by the malt.

Mouthfeel is somewhat fizzy and still finishes smooth but with very little bitterness. It also feels a bit metallic at the back of the throat.

Drinkability is ok here. It's not very impressive for the style but it does manage to show A-B's hallmarks, which usually means a focus on malts and making the beer as smooth as possible.

The only reason I mention the inability to detect the hops is because the packaging prominently displays that they used Cascade hops and dry-hopped it. However, it's not translating to my taste buds. I will have to try it on tap. Until then, mediocre but still more drinkable. A good session ale.

09-19-2008 23:14:12 | More by Brad007
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz picked up today at the Coop for $1.10.. poured into my shaped SA glass.

Descent 2 finger head... little lacing.. but a persistent cap... the brew is polished amber.

toasted malt and subtle caramel.. low citrus hops.. a little yeasty fruitines.. certainly not bad.. just uninspiring... could use more of everything.

flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma.. just a little more toasted malt.. descent bitterness and hop flavor for the style.. but still could stand to be amped up a slug or two... body is a sticking point for me... seems watery... but again.. not bad.. carbonation is soft but everpresent.

If I didn't know this was a AB product I never would have guessed it.... a little fizzy (I couldn't resist) .. but all and all.. not bad... just could use a shot in the arm across all fronts.

4/3.5/3.5/2.5/3.5