Michelob Dunkel Weisse - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: mbrandon2w on 07-24-2008)

ch473, Jun 05, 2012

Alacranlmc, Jul 11, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +36.5%

I'll have you know, the only reason I chose to do a review on this particular beer is because I was so blown away by how much better it tastes than I expected. Being Michelob, I didn't have too high of hopes - Michelob is better than most of those everyday brews, but you know what I'm saying.

A - Pours a dark reddish brown color - not very appetizing. Zero head, no lacing. But that's ok...for me. The overall look kind of reminds me of the Mexican soda drink called "Jarritos", particularly the Tamarind flavor. (I lived in Mexico as a young child and so I knew all about those things in Mexico...so good.)

S - I'm picking up on the malts, a little carmely note, wheat. Smells really bready sweet.

T - Up front I'm getting some malty carmels and wheat - typical wheat beer, except, and I like this, it's not overly tangy like most Wheat beers. Refreshing. I really should have drank this after mowing the lawn instead of before. But again, I was kind of expecting this to be a let down, so I wanted to get this one over with so I could enjoy what I've got left in the fridge. It's very watery, but that goes along with the refreshingly smooth overall taste of it.

O - I like it. It is good to see that it received a B here on BA. I like that, but I think it could be even a B+ or even A-. That's just me, though.
Definitely won't be the last Dunkelweisse I drink in the future. If I see this on the Beer menu at a restaurant, I might just order it...as long as I can enjoy enough rare beers on the menu.

The adventure continues...

StoutishDan, Aug 09, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

UfosBigRigsnBBQ, Jan 12, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

Amazing. None of the AB "craft brews" in the past really were all that great. Some were drinkable if nothing better was on hand, but none were something I would buy again if I had a choice. A few days ago I bought my first 6 of Bud Ale. I was not surprised that it was pretty good because I had read reviews saying it would be. But yesterday I bought a 6 of this because I was in a store with limited selection. What a surprise. It was just right.

I probably could have given this all 5's (I am usually generous). In some ways, I don't think this is true to the style, but it doesn't matter. This should be a benchmark for a great brew, whatever you call it. THIS is the best AB I have ever tasted.

I bought another 6 today!

schoolboy, Oct 12, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +28.4%

Pours a deep woody mahogany color with a big head that fully receded pretty quickly.

Aroma is full of banana, clove, pastry spices like brown sugar and cinnamon. Banana bread comes to mind.

Tastes great. Once again banana bread comes to mind. Caramel and other cereal grain flavors.

Big carbonation and clean finish.

This was a big surprise! I would use this beer to convert BMC drinkers to craft as well as surprise any beer geek with this impressive offering from AB.

gonzo46and2, Mar 29, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +28.4%

Surprisingly this is a very good representation of the dunkelweizen style from A-B. It is a nice hazy reddish brown color with good head and carbonation. Wonderful light malty flavor with chocolate and coffee notes. Banana and clove as well. Great mouthfeel. Clean finish.

BogleHill, Aug 07, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +27.9%

Oh, Where do I start?..I didn't expect much from AB,but I was pleasantly surprised here!
Appearance: hazy carmel color, head left nice tight collar,leaving broken lace behind.
Nose: clovey esters, a bit fruity.
Taste: hop tingle up front, followed by delicious banana/clove flavors, and a bit spicy also.
Mouth: was slick, full and creamy.
Drinkability: is awesome!, very well done dunkel, I would not be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test between this and a good authentic German Dunkel Weisse, I was blown away at how good this was coming from Anhauser/busch, this WAAAY exceded my expectations!

steinlifter, Oct 01, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +27.3%

This beer scares me - because it was quite good. The fact of the matter is, A-B has the expertise and the resources to brew any style of beer that they want, and do it well. Now that they're branching out into some less traditional styles they could become a serious threat to the small volume craft brewers. I don't like that.
But I do like this beer, on it's own merits. The notes of clove and banana are dominant in both the aroma and taste. It was also a very easily drinkable beer. Plenty of taste without having a thick mouthfeel.
A very nice interpretation of this style. And that's saying a lot from me, because I'm not usually a wheat beer fan.

Mgrad92, Sep 18, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +26.4%

My mom was at the grocery store and I was talking to her on the phone, trying to explain to her to pick me up a craft beer. She didn't understand and kept naming off beers like Moosehead, Heineken, and Labbat's Blue. She said "they have Michelob Dunkelweiss". I've been seeing a lot of these Michelob craft beers out now-a-days, so I was tired of trying to explain to her what to get and told her to get me this. However, I was pleasantly surprised...what a good beer. The box explains what the beer should taste like, what color it should be, what kind of hops they use, etc... It says it tastes like bananas, cloves, coffee, yadayadayada....Anyways...

A- Poured a beautiful bronze/amber color, with an off white head. The head wasn't that great, and the lacing was very thin.

S- Had a very wheaty-caramel type aroma, mixed with cloves (just like it says on the box)

T- Good! I was surprised. I could session with this beer man, very smooth going down and great tasting. It actually does leave a little bit of an aftertaste of bananas in your mouth

M- Decent. Thick, not too thick, but thick. Great mouthfeel

D- Very drinkable. I would drink this over and over again. It is really good, and I would definitely pair this up with something sweet, like bourbon chicken, or some other kind of Chinese food with a sweet/sour sauce.

BaerBeer, Apr 13, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +25%

Having heard this is the best of the lot that is the Michelob craft series, I thought I'd give it a go.
The pour can't be too aggressive otherwise the head is too sizable. The aroma is really quite nice on this beer. Full of yeasty goodness of phenols with shoots of spice (including cinnamon!) wheat and toasty barley.
Rich full and dense tan head with great stability and lengthy endurance leaving plenty of lacing. Cloudy dark amber. Attractive.
Very well balanced and flavorful beer. The fullness of the flavor makes is seem like it's a very fresh beer. Yeasty, wheat (banana), barley malt, mild bitterness and finishing dryness surrounded by all the fore mentioned flavors.
Wonderful soft fullness. Plenty of carbonation, maybe a tad too much, making it more filling than it needs to be (which ultimately cuts into the drinkability) and a little prickly on the tongue. But I am liking the softness and the smooth body.
This is a very well done version of one of my favorite styles.

garymuchow, Dec 01, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy brown color with a small head. Smells yummy, fruits, malts, spices. Taste is delicious. A great combination of fruit and spices. This beer feels great in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall this is a high quality brew.

tone77, Oct 12, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

Michelob Dunkel Weisse has a medium, creamy, beige head and a clear, copper color with lots of bubbles streaming up and nice lacing. The swirl & pour did not cloud it up, surprisingly. The aroma is strong on banana and light on wheat and clove. Taste is banana, some wheat, and a wonderful hop spice. Hops show up as well, and this really gives it a tasty balance. Lots of ticklish carbonation with this, and there’s also a smokey aspect. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Michelob Dunkel Weiss finishes clean, refreshing, and super-drinkable. Too bad it’s gone, because it’s really outstanding.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Jul 11, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

When pouring this beer it pours out a nice dark color that has a decent head with some lacing and decent retention. The smell is of a banana and cloves. When drinking this beer I taste some bananas and cloves with a hint of chocolate and some wheat. This beer has a nice smooth medium mouthfeel and is very drinkable. I would highly recommend this beer for anyone that loves a good beer.

DannyDan, Nov 28, 2010

Curious about this one.

I've seen the billboards on the highway. The box says, "17 IBUs, Hallertau and Tettnang hops, Two-row chocolate, wheat, and caramel malt." AB is definately learning how to pander to the craft brew audience with their Michelob line.

Pours a very cloudy dark brown with an orange tint when held up to the light. Thick light brown head with better than average retention. Head is quite lumpy.

A whiff reveals strong yeasty, spicy clove, and mellow fruitiness.

The taste reveals cocoa, bananna (of course), and clove along with some hops in tow to keep it balanced. Malty, chocalatey, and fruity yet (even some bubblegum) balanced. While it is no Aventinus it is still a damn good representation of this style in my opinion. I would put this right up there with Ayinger and Franziskaner any day of the week.

Hell yeah, I really like this one and I think it is without a doubt the best beer I have ever tasted from AB. Whatever AB did differently with this beer they should note and learn from because this is way above what I expected from them.

Bobo77, Oct 25, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

Here's proof that AB can make a quality craft beer. This is very nice dunkel weise. Everything from the pour, to the aroma, to the taste, to the mouthfeel are impressive.

Reddish brown colored with a frothy head...the nose is big on the cloves and then some big banana esters...also has some richer caramel like maltiness that doesn't dominate but complements nicely. Really smells nice.

The taste mimicks the nose....nice balance between the cloves and banana notes...also some subtle but enjoyable caramel maltiness.

Body is medium to perhaps a little on the light side of medium...carbonation is spot on...

I'm impressed....everything is very impressive with this beer. I have not been a big fan of most of the other Michelob craft offerings but this is a winner...nice price too. I will buy again....and again....and again....

ZAP, Oct 11, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

Appearance: Stodgy brown body, not too dark and only lightly hazed for the style, ranging from cinnamony brown in the core to brassy yellow along the edges. Head is somewhat fizzy, beige and short-lived.

Smell: Very aromatic, with a big gust of banana bread right out of the gate. Delightfully nuanced with notes of raisins, brown sugar, honey, apple pie, bubble gum, sage, and rising bread. There is also just a touch of cocoa. Autumnal and hearty.

Taste: Complex and deep, yet it gives an overall light impression - a very subtle and balanced beer. The main flavors are of ripe banana and sweet raisins, with mild clove and baked apple notes in the periphery. Hops lend a slight bitterness and very quiet mint and orange character that weds beautifully with the clove spice. In the finish a subtle toasty grainy essence emerges, with flavors of roasted peanuts, toasted wheat bread, and bran muffins. Ultimately dry with a faint, bready aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This is perhaps a touch too light and maybe even too dry, but the carbonation is quite nicely matched to the flavor.

Drinkability: Really excellent work from Michelob here. This is a winner, a very good, complex, and easy-to-drink beer.

soulgrowl, Mar 17, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

RBorsato, Oct 22, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours a dark red-amber color with generous head and (if you do a traditional pour) cloudiness. Aroma is banana cream and caramel malt. Flavor is a traditional hefeweizen with a generous caramel and slight roast maltiness (very nice) with a nice touch of German hops. Finishes fruity and malty. Nice carbonation and mouthfeel. A very good beer.

EagleTalon, Oct 06, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

12oz bottle served in a weisse glass.

L - slightly clouded amber color with a fluffy beige head that left globs of lacing.

S - sweet wheat, malt, banana and spiced aromas.

T - sweet and wheaty, and whatever their special yeast strain is, it's a pretty decent tasting brew.

F - medium bodied with a crisp feel.

D - this one goes down way too easy!

JoeyBeerBelly, Nov 01, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

12oz to standard pint, pours a slight reddish orangey amber brown, cream colored head fades - nice haziness

smell is of banana, clove, roasty malts, clean and delicious smelling

taste is of creamy sweet yeastliness, great flavor, carbonation is at a great level to make the yeast pop, malt hides behind yeastliness, roasty dark malt

mouthfeel is creamy and yeasty with a slightly thinner weight than traditional of the style, good carbonation, amazing bang for buck - the price is certainly right for such a tasty brew :D

drxandy, Dec 11, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

A - One finger of dense khaki foam sits solidly atop a dirty brown cloudy brew that has russet tints. Some foamy lace is smattered around the glass, and head retention is really nice. Hey, were of to a good start!

S - Deep yeasty banana bread notes inter mingle with big juicy orange aromas from the wheat content. Some sweet bubblegum notes are there, along with notes of my mom's zucchini bread. Doughy, yeasty, and twangy on the nose. This smells fresh, juicy, and bakery-made.

T - The flavor follows the nose here. Big time yeast freshness with banana and zucchini bread, banana meringue pie, and some light caramel and chocolate-chip flavors in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with a nice foamy carbonation that adds body. This is fresh and thirst quenching as all get out. The finish is clean and slightly tangy, and a light dusty feel grows after the swallow.

D - This is the best beer made by a giant macro brewery that I've ever had. I wonder if this is the final product of the Ascent 54 that I had at the Fort Collins A-B brewery last fall? It sure tastes like it, and I remember that dunkleweissen standing out as an amazing beer for a macro brewer when I had it.

pmcadamis, Oct 21, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

I had one of this style on tap in Manchester, NH
last year and liked the taste of this German
ale. Its like a summer taste dressed up in a dark
nutty concoction, creamy, drinkable, pretty good
stuff, not filling, I would love to check this out
on tap. Its good to see such a high profile name
reaching out to give people some change, those
of us that have been loving these styles all these years, its about time people get some
taste in their beers for an option.

littlebibs, Dec 18, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

From bottle into tulip. Pours hazy amber with moderate white head. Aroma of caramel malt, wheat, bread, yeast and slightly hoppy. Lacing throughout. A well-balanced beer with slightly dry and bitter finish. This is the 3rd time I've encountered this brew and have decided it is the best offering from A-B today. A beer I would definitely purchase again - cheers!

OzarkElmo, Sep 06, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +20.1%

I too am taken aback by this beer; a good offering from AB!

Pours a reddish-brown with a big rocky, off white head.

Notes of bananas, spicy cloves, caramel, yeasty bread, and chocolate really come through in the aroma and flavour. Finishes with a nice dose of noble hops. This is certainly a well crafted wheat beer and I'm surprised that who know who bottled something this good... This is really tasty.

Medium to full bodied, silky smooth, well carbonated and overall; easy to drink.

Really, this is a good beer; and while not perfect, a pretty damn good example of the style! Hats off to AB... I never thought I'd say that.

adams82, Sep 20, 2008