Join our email list →

Dunkelweizen | 5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: mbrandon2w on 07-24-2008

1.12/5  rDev -68%

I'm shocked to find this is quite a popular beer in the comments. I see I'm in the minority. I purchased this in a variety pack with Shock Top, Honey Wheat, and Hop Hound. I found this beer undrinkable in every way. I've had two, already served off two and the other two may rest in my fridge until I can pawn them off on some unsuspecting guest. The banana aftertaste is awful. I've had Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Lancaster Brewing Compnay Strawberry Wheat, and God help me Bud Lime but this is one fruit I didn't need in my beer. To those that enjoyed it, cheers, I have two waiting for you.

1.18/5  rDev -66.3%

Had a bottle of this with a buddy of mine last night. Great pour and appearance but everything else was terrible. This must have been a bad batch because the yeast was stuck to the side in a big clump and was as black as night. Every single bottle was this way. Horrible taste and smell. I'll need to try another in the future that isn't tainted.

1.24/5  rDev -64.6%

Appearance: Pours dark brown with a large head that recedes too quickly. There is some lacing.

Smell: Like a homebrew with a bacterial infection

Taste: Same as smell

Mouthfeel: Watery and boring

Drinkability: Bad. This beer sucks.

This is a bad beer. I can't believe people ever drink it.

1.53/5  rDev -56.3%

Not a very good looking beer. Grayish brown, chocolate milk color. Big chunky sediment. Not apealing. Big head that goes away quickly. Yeasty overripe bannanas with some kind of baking spice. Not for me. I don't know much about this kind of beer, but I think it might be a case of not liking the style. I'm not a fan of the Heffewiezens with the bannana and clove. This has that but with stronger flavor. So it should stand to reason that I don't like it. It needed some malty sweetness or hoppy bitterness to balance the flavors. It's just kind of bland with that spicey mushy bannana aftertaste. I could't finish the bottle. If you like Dunkelweizens, this is probably a good one. Evidently I don't.

1.94/5  rDev -44.6%

I've had good beers. I've had bad beers. This beer would be classified as the latter. If there's one word that sums up what this beer is like, it is this - BANANAS. If you like banana beer, you are in luck. If you don't like banana beer, then prepare for a mouth full of awful beer.

I like experimenting and trying different kinds of beer, but this is a new flavor for me. Perhaps I wasn't prepared for it, because nowhere on the packaging does it say "Warning - this beer tastes like bananas." Maybe I'm still new to beer critiquing, but I for one will not be purchasing any more Michelob DunkelWeisse. I like Michelob beers, but not this one.

Poured to about a 1 inch head that didnt hang around very long. Head was caramel in color. Brew was reddish brown in color. Had some big bubbles floating to the top. No lacing at all. Smelled sweet. Almost to sweet. Smelled a little like chocolate also. Tasted to sweet for me. Had that banana flavor going on that I dont care for. Felt over carbonated in the mouth and watery. Wont buy these again. Got a mixed variety pack. Kind of disappointed in this one.

2.22/5  rDev -36.6%

the beer sure looks your decent offering, a bold hazy brown. red hints. fluffy, sticky head of a barely off-white.

the aroma is awfully sour, with a very muted caramel malt...ugh.

the flavor, while very mild and muted...is extremely sour and like a rotten cherry. however, the flavor, while majorly fruity and sour, has a slight appropriate yeasty bitterness I expect in this style. terrible and decent.

decently creamy but overly dry.

well, for all its average tastes, is probably somebody's favorite beer. just not mine.

2.32/5  rDev -33.7%

Appearance - This is a nice, dingy brown in color just like it should be but the head is non-existent.

Smell - There's actually some pretty good yeast and toast in this nose. It's smooth, well-balanced, and very much in line with the style.

Taste - The yeast and toast from the nose fail to show up from the taste as they are trounced by the strangest flavor I have ever encountered in a DW. It's a putrid sweetness like maybe a rotten lemon.

Mouthfeel - This was an epic failure. The carbs are like a cheap lager instead of that full and fluffy character you expect from the style.

Sinkability - This didn't taste anything at all like a DW.

2.42/5  rDev -30.9%

I poured this beer into a Weisen glass from a 12 ounce bottle. The appearance was exceptional. It is a caramel brown color with a very good looking thick head. There was a slight cloudiness apparent.

The smell was not really strong, but there were hints of bannana.

The taste was that of cloves. I am not real crazy about the clove taste, but that being said it tasted okay.

The mouthfeel was good. I could feel the yeast particles.

It was drinkable, but I probably will not be returning to this beer any time soon.

2.46/5  rDev -29.7%

Served 55 degrees poured to pint glass.

Bottle opens with a pretty pleasing pop. Poured well with slight sedimentation at the bottom and decent head that dissolved after about 2 minutes. At this point I was getting quite excited at the prospect of a real beer from a big brewer. Smell was generally positive with an unidentifiable odd characteristic underneath.

Taste begins slightly sweet turning quickly to a rather pleasant smoky flavor combined with a rather unfortunate hops blend. The flavor then collapses into what I can only describe as a chemically burnt mess.

2.48/5  rDev -29.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher Weiss glass. Produced on 09035 February 4th, '09. 6 Months for a macro isn't too bad...lets see where this goes.

A - Partly cloudy and heavily active carameled bronze with a large but poorly retained off-white head. A thin layer is left but no lacing.

S - A strong yeast aroma bursts out. Rich like fermenting home brew. Light bubblegum and heavy clay and earthy aromas from the yeast. Wheats are far in the background. The yeast aroma is dominating everything.

T - Yeast dominated again with a more pronoinced wheat aroma this go around. The clay testure and flavor with the earthiness is very prominent. This is a very one-dimensional beer lacking any esters or spicing typical for this style.

M - Spritzy in the mouth but fairly smooth still. The aftertaste lingers for quite a while. Light bodied.

D - Another wheat that tastes like bad home brew. It could be the age, and based on other reviews, I'm lead to believe that. Bad drinkability due to the cloying least flavor and aroma.
Worth another go around to re-rate if I can find another bottle that's fresher.

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a brown color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note, slightly spiced. Medium body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.54/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I am not a fan of wheat beers in general. Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter

A - brown, cloudy, half finger of head dissipates quickly

S - strong banana, not much else

T - distintive banana yeasty taste, the malt does not come through for me - If i were to close my eyes, I'd think thise a hefe. Bit of a metallic aftertaste

M - a bit thin, overall ok

D - I wouldn't want another one of these - nothing horribly offensive, just not my taste

I guess it is not terrible, I just really am not a fan of the banana taste.

2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

This may be my first DunkelWeisse but im not sure. Cloudy cooper color beer with a nice 1/2 inch head. Smells of yeast, fruit and spice. Hmmm I know ive had this before...hmmm bacon grease...nope it my Grandmas banana bread. Very light and clear tasting i suppose it would be drinkable for this style. Certainly bananas give it different blend of spice and fruit (than cherry or citris fruits) that make it interesting. Nice to try but im not a fan. Ill have to compare it to future DunkelWeisse

2.69/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

now most dunkel-weisse's have a pretty nasty nose but this one takes the cake... smells like my dress socks after a long LONG day at work. sour smell with strong phenol perfume.

over-carbonated for the style... head not as fluffy as I'd like but who am I kidding it's AB. Hints of banana up front and then drying with some mineral soaked maltiness... finishes dry and overly crisp with a pretty unpleasant aftertaste... too sour...

maybe I'm just spoiled to Schneiders and other fine weisse beers.. cause this one ain't doing the trick... those last 5 will sit in my fridge until spring... then I'll pawn them off on some unsuspecting, unwanted guest....:) ...they did a good job on the porter... and the marzen... and I dig an Amber Bock every now and then... but this one will be the last ...

there are some funky flavors in here that just don't belong... the yeast? I don't know it's alcohol sour related... and the mouthfeel is really subpar.

I'm dreaming of a black wheat from Weesconsin or a schneider... I didn't expect this to come close and, even then, it let me down.

starts sweet - ends sour - thank goodness I had two Sweetwater IPA in the fridge to get me by till morn.

2.71/5  rDev -22.6%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass it is a cloudy auburn brown.

smells like wheat, but there is, i hate to say, a wierd somewhat bologna smell. something is just not right in this department.

the taste is better than the smell overall. The bitter sour aftertaste is pretty nice.

mouthfeel is great, slight film left on the tongue and palatte, but i have had worse.

you could drink a lot of these if you can get past the smell. maybe after a couple you wont notice but im not ready to find out.

2.72/5  rDev -22.3%

Okay, the infamous Dunkel Weisse from AB...

Quick forming and quick dissipating head, which is light tan in color. The body is dark copper in color with slight haze. Not really much in the way of a real weisse beer.

The aroma is bready, with a slight hint of clove and some fruitiness.

It starts out really quickly with an over ripe banana flavor, but is quickly cut by a salty and metallic flavor like with some tartness.

Thin in the mouthfeel and kind of boring. This brew was touted as a decent interpretation by some, but I disagree.

2.79/5  rDev -20.3%

Got this one in the sampler. It pours medium brown/ caramel with little to no head or lacing. As far as smell it has earthy tones like patchouli and coffee. It tastes similar to how it smells but also has an obvious sweetness not picked up by the nose. It's an all around average beer. I could definitely have a few in a row.

2.83/5  rDev -19.1%

Very interesting brew from the Michelob line. There is a wheaty, almost banana smell. Decent pour. Not very much head here but the color is not deep but chesnut brownish. Complex taste. There is the wheaty spice and fruity essence on the front and then a hint of malt on the back. Smooth and interesting.

2.95/5  rDev -15.7%

Curiosity and the low price finally got the best of me. I had to find out if Michelob's dunkel weisse was worth a damn. The answer: not particularly.

Pours a very murky diarrhea brown with a quick vanishing head. Decent lacing, though.

It smells like a pissier, more metallic version of the Fransikaner dunkelweizen that I had the other day. They get points for trying, as you get hints of the cloves and banana associated with the style, but the metallic twang brings it down a notch.

The same can be said for the flavor. It's an entry level attempt at the style in question, but you can tell that they're skimping on the ingredients.

Mouthfeel is the biggest downfall of the beer. It's far too thin and a bit overcarbonated. It doesn't finish nearly as dry as it should, either.

At less than $7 for a six-pack, you could certainly do a lot worse (given that Bud is creeping close to that price nowadays), but I'd just as soon spend a little extra to get a genuine Bavarian dunkelweizen. Try a little harder next time, Michelob.

2.95/5  rDev -15.7%

A dark amber colored beer has a good beige head and leaves nice lace. The aroma is a wonderful mix of spicey banana and clove. Taste??? Where'd all that lovely banana and clove character go?
Only hints of banana on the tip of the tongue and a quick brush of clove across the back of the tongue. The Watery mouthfeel washes away any real chance of enjoyment of this beer.

2.95/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: Poured a hazy amber brown color with a centimeter tall foamy tan head. Aroma is of a ton of bananas and clove. Flavor is similar but has an added musty flavor. Dark fruit, spice, and lots of yeast flavor dominate this brew. Super sweet and musty. There is a light hop bitterness that barely makes a showing. This is a fairly drying beer. Feel is moderate and slightly fizzy from the carbonation.

The weird metallic must twang bothers me only a little bit. Its not quite right but for AB this beer has a lot of flavor. Not a bad stab at the style.

I wouldn't want more than one of these in a night and there is no reason to buy this over the real thing (Franziskaner, Weihenstephaner, or Ayinger Dunkels.

2.98/5  rDev -14.9%

I'll have to give the Michelob brand their props. The new line of beers that try to acheive craft-like status actually turn out quite well. This one has some nice dark malt taste, similar to standard German Dunkels or Brown Ales. The wheat character lacks somewhat and doesn't give the beer the richness or firmness that I expect in the style. Aromas are faint and may have a touch of graininess, but fares similarly to most other craft beer attempts of the sytle. The beer has a pronounced clove character throughout and I'm not entirely convinced it is derived completely from the yeast- maybe something was added to intensify this flavor, yet give little else in terms of yeastiness or breadiness. But the body is where the beer shows a mass-produces emptiness. Still, the beer is quite ok.

I thought this beer was alright but as I look at my notes I wrote average down the board. I thought that the smell and the taste were a little too candy like for a Dunkel Weisse and there was barely anything for the flavors you usually get with a wheat beer. It had a dark brown body with moderate head and lace. There were some mild clove and banana tones but for the most part it was just too average. Hey but average is drinkable.

I rated this beer average on all fronts. Out of the three styles in the Michelob sampler this was my favorite. It didn't do anything exceptionally well but didn't offend either.

The reddish golden appearance was kinda nice. The smell was dunkel with some yeast and banana present. Taste was average. I liked the fact this was a little darker than usual.

All in all, a nice average beer I'd grab if someone offered me a BMC.

Michelob Dunkel Weisse from Anheuser-Busch