Michelob Dunkel Weisse - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: mbrandon2w on 07-24-2008)
steelersandbeer

1.1/5  rDev -68.4%

I'm shocked to find this is quite a popular beer in the comments. I see I'm in the minority. I purchased this in a variety pack with Shock Top, Honey Wheat, and Hop Hound. I found this beer undrinkable in every way. I've had two, already served off two and the other two may rest in my fridge until I can pawn them off on some unsuspecting guest. The banana aftertaste is awful. I've had Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Lancaster Brewing Compnay Strawberry Wheat, and God help me Bud Lime but this is one fruit I didn't need in my beer. To those that enjoyed it, cheers, I have two waiting for you.

06-29-2009 22:38:35 | More by steelersandbeer
jfrank85

1.15/5  rDev -67%

Had a bottle of this with a buddy of mine last night. Great pour and appearance but everything else was terrible. This must have been a bad batch because the yeast was stuck to the side in a big clump and was as black as night. Every single bottle was this way. Horrible taste and smell. I'll need to try another in the future that isn't tainted.

12-02-2010 14:39:08 | More by jfrank85
donmonkey1

Tennessee

1.2/5  rDev -65.5%

Appearance: Pours dark brown with a large head that recedes too quickly. There is some lacing.

Smell: Like a homebrew with a bacterial infection

Taste: Same as smell

Mouthfeel: Watery and boring

Drinkability: Bad. This beer sucks.

This is a bad beer. I can't believe people ever drink it.

07-26-2009 05:11:55 | More by donmonkey1

07-24-2012 21:10:49 | More by Jemenhiser
lester619

Wisconsin

1.53/5  rDev -56%

Not a very good looking beer. Grayish brown, chocolate milk color. Big chunky sediment. Not apealing. Big head that goes away quickly. Yeasty overripe bannanas with some kind of baking spice. Not for me. I don't know much about this kind of beer, but I think it might be a case of not liking the style. I'm not a fan of the Heffewiezens with the bannana and clove. This has that but with stronger flavor. So it should stand to reason that I don't like it. It needed some malty sweetness or hoppy bitterness to balance the flavors. It's just kind of bland with that spicey mushy bannana aftertaste. I could't finish the bottle. If you like Dunkelweizens, this is probably a good one. Evidently I don't.

11-05-2009 21:33:23 | More by lester619
Strand

North Dakota

1.9/5  rDev -45.4%

I've had good beers. I've had bad beers. This beer would be classified as the latter. If there's one word that sums up what this beer is like, it is this - BANANAS. If you like banana beer, you are in luck. If you don't like banana beer, then prepare for a mouth full of awful beer.

I like experimenting and trying different kinds of beer, but this is a new flavor for me. Perhaps I wasn't prepared for it, because nowhere on the packaging does it say "Warning - this beer tastes like bananas." Maybe I'm still new to beer critiquing, but I for one will not be purchasing any more Michelob DunkelWeisse. I like Michelob beers, but not this one.

03-11-2009 16:20:46 | More by Strand
ZPB

01-16-2012 11:57:54 | More by ZPB
carteravebrew

Colorado

06-19-2012 20:50:23 | More by carteravebrew
youngleo

Poured to about a 1 inch head that didnt hang around very long. Head was caramel in color. Brew was reddish brown in color. Had some big bubbles floating to the top. No lacing at all. Smelled sweet. Almost to sweet. Smelled a little like chocolate also. Tasted to sweet for me. Had that banana flavor going on that I dont care for. Felt over carbonated in the mouth and watery. Wont buy these again. Got a mixed variety pack. Kind of disappointed in this one.

06-10-2009 18:54:10 | More by youngleo
cnally

Indiana

2.2/5  rDev -36.8%

the beer sure looks your decent offering, a bold hazy brown. red hints. fluffy, sticky head of a barely off-white.

the aroma is awfully sour, with a very muted caramel malt...ugh.

the flavor, while very mild and muted...is extremely sour and like a rotten cherry. however, the flavor, while majorly fruity and sour, has a slight appropriate yeasty bitterness I expect in this style. terrible and decent.

decently creamy but overly dry.

well, for all its average tastes, is probably somebody's favorite beer. just not mine.

07-26-2009 00:01:08 | More by cnally
RoyalT

2.25/5  rDev -35.3%

Appearance - This is a nice, dingy brown in color just like it should be but the head is non-existent.

Smell - There's actually some pretty good yeast and toast in this nose. It's smooth, well-balanced, and very much in line with the style.

Taste - The yeast and toast from the nose fail to show up from the taste as they are trounced by the strangest flavor I have ever encountered in a DW. It's a putrid sweetness like maybe a rotten lemon.

Mouthfeel - This was an epic failure. The carbs are like a cheap lager instead of that full and fluffy character you expect from the style.

Sinkability - This didn't taste anything at all like a DW.

11-26-2010 02:14:45 | More by RoyalT
Damian74Shensky

12-07-2012 14:51:59 | More by Damian74Shensky
bmjivi221

07-17-2013 05:30:02 | More by bmjivi221
greengorilla

2.33/5  rDev -33%

I poured this beer into a Weisen glass from a 12 ounce bottle. The appearance was exceptional. It is a caramel brown color with a very good looking thick head. There was a slight cloudiness apparent.

The smell was not really strong, but there were hints of bannana.

The taste was that of cloves. I am not real crazy about the clove taste, but that being said it tasted okay.

The mouthfeel was good. I could feel the yeast particles.

It was drinkable, but I probably will not be returning to this beer any time soon.

03-20-2009 18:46:01 | More by greengorilla
dantose

2.4/5  rDev -31%

Served 55 degrees poured to pint glass.

Bottle opens with a pretty pleasing pop. Poured well with slight sedimentation at the bottom and decent head that dissolved after about 2 minutes. At this point I was getting quite excited at the prospect of a real beer from a big brewer. Smell was generally positive with an unidentifiable odd characteristic underneath.

Taste begins slightly sweet turning quickly to a rather pleasant smoky flavor combined with a rather unfortunate hops blend. The flavor then collapses into what I can only describe as a chemically burnt mess.

10-17-2010 01:23:06 | More by dantose
misternebbie

2.44/5  rDev -29.9%

08-28-2014 02:17:59 | More by misternebbie
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.48/5  rDev -28.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher Weiss glass. Produced on 09035 February 4th, '09. 6 Months for a macro isn't too bad...lets see where this goes.

A - Partly cloudy and heavily active carameled bronze with a large but poorly retained off-white head. A thin layer is left but no lacing.

S - A strong yeast aroma bursts out. Rich like fermenting home brew. Light bubblegum and heavy clay and earthy aromas from the yeast. Wheats are far in the background. The yeast aroma is dominating everything.

T - Yeast dominated again with a more pronoinced wheat aroma this go around. The clay testure and flavor with the earthiness is very prominent. This is a very one-dimensional beer lacking any esters or spicing typical for this style.

M - Spritzy in the mouth but fairly smooth still. The aftertaste lingers for quite a while. Light bodied.

D - Another wheat that tastes like bad home brew. It could be the age, and based on other reviews, I'm lead to believe that. Bad drinkability due to the cloying least flavor and aroma.
Worth another go around to re-rate if I can find another bottle that's fresher.

08-26-2009 22:07:35 | More by BeerFMAndy

08-04-2013 21:37:18 | More by Dapper_Dan_Man
Wasatch

Utah

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours a brown color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note, slightly spiced. Medium body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

03-14-2010 15:20:51 | More by Wasatch