Michelob Dunkel Weisse - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: mbrandon2w on 07-24-2008)
View: Beers (78) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
CJfromPhilly

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours from the 12 oz. bottle a dark, cloudy copper with a one finger head. Modest carbonation. Slight fruitiness on the nose. First sip has a distinct banana flavor with a slight nuttiness. The mouthfeel is a nice fullness, not too light, not too heavy. Overall, good stuff! I bought a single to review, but i'll be picking up a sixer next time around!!

10-26-2008 18:59:39 | More by CJfromPhilly
Bobo77

4.33/5  rDev +24.1%

Curious about this one.

I've seen the billboards on the highway. The box says, "17 IBUs, Hallertau and Tettnang hops, Two-row chocolate, wheat, and caramel malt." AB is definately learning how to pander to the craft brew audience with their Michelob line.

Pours a very cloudy dark brown with an orange tint when held up to the light. Thick light brown head with better than average retention. Head is quite lumpy.

A whiff reveals strong yeasty, spicy clove, and mellow fruitiness.

The taste reveals cocoa, bananna (of course), and clove along with some hops in tow to keep it balanced. Malty, chocalatey, and fruity yet (even some bubblegum) balanced. While it is no Aventinus it is still a damn good representation of this style in my opinion. I would put this right up there with Ayinger and Franziskaner any day of the week.

Hell yeah, I really like this one and I think it is without a doubt the best beer I have ever tasted from AB. Whatever AB did differently with this beer they should note and learn from because this is way above what I expected from them.

10-25-2008 18:34:48 | More by Bobo77
UGADawgGuy

Georgia

3.63/5  rDev +4%

I had heard for some time that Michelob bottled a good dunkelweizen, and the first chance I got, I tried it. Tonight, it was pitted against a couple of doppelbocks, and it fared remarkably well.

Appearance: Nice and cloudy, with a mahogany brown hue. A good weizen pour yielded a modest 1.5-finger head with decent retention. A nice little cap remained on my beer throughout drinking. Lacing is nil, but the water here (in New Orleans) may have contributed to that.

Smell: Toasted wheaty malt, with an unfortunate twinge of copper. Mostly, though, I smell hefty toast crust.

Taste: Compared to German dunkelweizens I've had, this one's a little watery and hollow, with minimal banana/clove notes. But compared to everything else I've had from Michelob, it's a revelation. Toasty, malty, wheaty, and...coppery. What is it with American macro-micros and that metallic flavor?

Mouthfeel: See "Taste." Compared to good German dunkelweizens, it's light, watery, and a bit empty. Compared to other American wheat beers, it's nice. The toastiness somehow enhances the feel.

Drinkability: Shockingly, this compares fairly favorably with Weyerbacher's Slam Dunkel (which is, in my opinion, the current torchbearer for American wheat beers). This is discernibly lighter/waterier than Slam Dunkel, but still a very pleasant surprise from Michelob.

Thank you, Michelob, for broadening the horizons of American macrobrewing. You are headed in the right direction with this one.

10-24-2008 04:49:09 | More by UGADawgGuy
zeff80

4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

I must say that I am very impressed with this beer. Very good representation of the style.

A - Poured out a cloudy, dark amber/burgandy color wit a tan, long-lasting, foamy head that lef some sticky, patches of lace.

S - It smelled of wheat, clove, dark roasted malt and some yeast.

T - It tasted of roasted malt, a very toasty flavor. Nice smooth wheat flavors with hints of clove.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a very good Dunkel. I am very impressed with the quality of this brew.

10-24-2008 02:37:29 | More by zeff80
pmcadamis

4.2/5  rDev +20.3%

A - One finger of dense khaki foam sits solidly atop a dirty brown cloudy brew that has russet tints. Some foamy lace is smattered around the glass, and head retention is really nice. Hey, were of to a good start!

S - Deep yeasty banana bread notes inter mingle with big juicy orange aromas from the wheat content. Some sweet bubblegum notes are there, along with notes of my mom's zucchini bread. Doughy, yeasty, and twangy on the nose. This smells fresh, juicy, and bakery-made.

T - The flavor follows the nose here. Big time yeast freshness with banana and zucchini bread, banana meringue pie, and some light caramel and chocolate-chip flavors in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with a nice foamy carbonation that adds body. This is fresh and thirst quenching as all get out. The finish is clean and slightly tangy, and a light dusty feel grows after the swallow.

D - This is the best beer made by a giant macro brewery that I've ever had. I wonder if this is the final product of the Ascent 54 that I had at the Fort Collins A-B brewery last fall? It sure tastes like it, and I remember that dunkleweissen standing out as an amazing beer for a macro brewer when I had it.

10-21-2008 17:09:50 | More by pmcadamis
tgbljb

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured a dul; cloudy mahogony color with modet off-white head. Poor retention, some sporadic lacing.

Smell is perfect for the style with stong bana and glove notes.

Taste also has the banana and spices upfront, but a bit too dry sensation slowly overpowers it.

Again too much dryness at the finish.

OK to start, but there are better examples of the style.

10-19-2008 18:52:01 | More by tgbljb
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, dark mahogany-hued brown body with a thin, fizzy, off-white head.

Smell: Aroma of toasted bananas and dark wheat malt with a zing of clove-scented spice.

Taste: Toasty, tangy dark wheat with a mild, unassuming sweetness. Kick of banana and clove on each and every sip. Hints of caramel come and go. Very light spicy hops and bitterness. Drying finish with a lingering spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-high, tingy carbonation.

Drinkability: Would I have another? I highly doubt it. But it's still a commendable try for A-B.

10-19-2008 18:21:01 | More by ChainGangGuy
Goliath

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a hazy dark amber/brown with a one inch off white head sitting on top. Decent retention and a bit of spotty lace.

The aroma is ok. Banana and clove certainly come through on the nose as well as a little graininess.

The taste is fine. Again, banana and clove on the tongue. A bit grainy on the finish and slightly bitter. Finish is fairly abrupt and slightly dry.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly high. It's a decent tasting brew and certainly a solid offering.

10-14-2008 20:47:20 | More by Goliath
daledeee

Iowa

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

I have tried several of the specialty beers from AB in years past. Most were very disappointing. I purchased a 6er of this on sale with some reservation

I poured this to see a foamy medium head and dark cloudy brown. Nothing wrong with that.

The nose is sweet yeasty and caramel.

Taste is true to the wheat beer type. Sweet yet tangy, with caramel and malt. There could be a little coffee at the end. Mouthfeel has a good bite to it as well.

Overall, a very easy to drink beer. When I looked in the bottom of the bottle and saw yeast settling out, this is a sea change for AB.

10-14-2008 00:21:17 | More by daledeee
schoolboy

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

Amazing. None of the AB "craft brews" in the past really were all that great. Some were drinkable if nothing better was on hand, but none were something I would buy again if I had a choice. A few days ago I bought my first 6 of Bud Ale. I was not surprised that it was pretty good because I had read reviews saying it would be. But yesterday I bought a 6 of this because I was in a store with limited selection. What a surprise. It was just right.

I probably could have given this all 5's (I am usually generous). In some ways, I don't think this is true to the style, but it doesn't matter. This should be a benchmark for a great brew, whatever you call it. THIS is the best AB I have ever tasted.

I bought another 6 today!

10-12-2008 20:59:45 | More by schoolboy
Overlord

4.05/5  rDev +16%

Pours a dark amber orange. Inch or two of white foam head. Smells like bananas and grass.

Really nice flavor. Strongly of bananas, maybe a bit of cloves ... though the wheat and grass comes through quite clearly. I am shocked. 5.99 a sixer? Too bad there was only one left.

I enjoyed the Michelob Porter, too. Michelob's doing a real good job with these micro brew offering, particularly at this price point. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy. This is a very good beer: when you consider the price, it's phenomenal.

10-12-2008 01:21:51 | More by Overlord
ZAP

4.33/5  rDev +24.1%

Here's proof that AB can make a quality craft beer. This is very nice dunkel weise. Everything from the pour, to the aroma, to the taste, to the mouthfeel are impressive.

Reddish brown colored with a frothy head...the nose is big on the cloves and then some big banana esters...also has some richer caramel like maltiness that doesn't dominate but complements nicely. Really smells nice.

The taste mimicks the nose....nice balance between the cloves and banana notes...also some subtle but enjoyable caramel maltiness.

Body is medium to perhaps a little on the light side of medium...carbonation is spot on...

I'm impressed....everything is very impressive with this beer. I have not been a big fan of most of the other Michelob craft offerings but this is a winner...nice price too. I will buy again....and again....and again....

10-11-2008 04:52:22 | More by ZAP
etenbus

3.18/5  rDev -8.9%

Saw the smart packaging from afar and thought it had to be a Bud product. Who else can afford that kind of design work? (Of course, it's easy to pick the poorly-designed AB products on the shelves, too--like Shocktop or whatever it's called!) Alright, I'll buy one bottle and give it a try. Dunkels don't always travel well from Germany so why not try one brewed 3.5 hours away.

It poured a big frothy head (good sign) that dropped very quickly (bad sign). Copper orange color. Lots of carbonation rising from the depths.

Aroma is not half bad. There's ripe banana, dark fruit, slight clove, maybe a hint of leather.

However, the beer lacks the flavor impact that the aroma promises. It's tame compared to a Schneider, Ayinger, or a Weihestephaner (however that is spelled) Dunkel. It's also thinner than it should be and doesn't have that sparkle that a good German Dunkel weizen should have.

I guess for an AB product, it's rather adventurous and should rattle the minds of the usual Bud Light drinkers. For that we should be thankful from AB. It's good for AB, average for the style. But it's not as good as I had hoped and I will continue to buy the real German dunkels.

10-11-2008 04:41:22 | More by etenbus
1fastz28

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

another new craft style beer from AB, the american ale isn't half bad so i decided to give this a shot. pours almost like a rasberry beer, has that same color to it, but with a big frothy head, the head is similar to alot of IPA's very frothy and doesn't die down very quickly. smell is pretty damn good, actually reminded me of a beer that i homebrewed myself.orange peel, corriander are dominant as is a nice yeasty presence. taste leaves something to be desired, it just doesn't have enough body to it, while it is lighter like alot of regular hefe's, for a dark hefe is seems a bit weak. but maybe i'm crazy. mouthfeel is again kind of weak, watery overall. it started off great and ended up a little less than that i expected. but it is not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, just could of been great with just a little more to it.

10-07-2008 02:53:01 | More by 1fastz28
LarryV

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a deep amber color with a 1/2 inch fluffy head that fades to a frothy ring. Malty nose with hints of banana and clove. Taste is malty with a significant banana aroma and the clove stinging the palate as a secondary wave of flavor. Mouthfeel is medium on the thinner side but seems appropriate for this brew. Kudos to Michelob for producing a well crafted and enjoyable brew. Very tasty.

10-06-2008 23:53:27 | More by LarryV
UltraZelda64

4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance: Pours a nice, cloudy amber in bright light with a pretty nice tan head. Plenty of tiny carbonation bubbles, and the head sticks around for a while, leaving some nice moderate lacing on the sides of the glass. Outside of direct light, the beer looks like a muddy brown. Not bad, it has all the qualities I would expect from a dunkel weizen, although maybe not quite as much as I would expect.

Smell: Once again, pretty good. I get caramel malts, some nice fresh banana, and cloves. Just how it should be. It's not overpowering, but it is there and strong enough.

Taste: I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but again... this beer has a taste in line with what I would expect from its appearance and aromas. Nice and malty and wheaty, and the banana and cloves really kick in a bit later in the sip, and especially in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Not light, that's for sure, and not outright heavy. I would say it's somewhere between medium and medium-heavy. No complaints here.

Drinkability: Being made by a megabrewery, you'd expect this to be toned down somewhat and easy to drink. Well, it does seem toned down just a bit, but that's not a bad thing. And it certainly is easy to drink, but perhaps a bit filling. On the other hand, I love wheat beers, so by default the drinkability is up there for me.

Conclusion: I first had Michelob's Porter and Bavarian-Style Wheat, then their new all-malt Michelob Lager, and finally this. I'm impressed. It just goes to show, if a macro brewery wants to brew a quality beer, they surely can. They just often choose not to. I didn't originally like Michelob, when about all they sold was their adjunct-laden macro crap, but they're quickly earning respect from me. I will most definitely get this stuff again.

10-06-2008 23:22:45 | More by UltraZelda64
steinlifter

4.45/5  rDev +27.5%

Oh, Where do I start?..I didn't expect much from AB,but I was pleasantly surprised here!
Appearance: hazy carmel color, head left nice tight collar,leaving broken lace behind.
Nose: clovey esters, a bit fruity.
Taste: hop tingle up front, followed by delicious banana/clove flavors, and a bit spicy also.
Mouth: was slick, full and creamy.
Drinkability: is awesome!, very well done dunkel, I would not be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test between this and a good authentic German Dunkel Weisse, I was blown away at how good this was coming from Anhauser/busch, this WAAAY exceded my expectations!

10-01-2008 16:14:14 | More by steinlifter
cjgator3

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a cloudy dark brownish amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is wheat and a good amount of clove and banana. I am pretty impressed with the aroma, I was expecting something a lot less enticing.

T- I am also pretty impressed with the taste. It is a lot more flavorful than a lot of the craft beer attempts by A-B.

M- The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- A good amount of flavor and easy drinking, what more can you ask for? Not too shabby, kudos to A-B for actually producing a pretty decent brew.

10-01-2008 02:23:53 | More by cjgator3
BierFan

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Dark reddish brown. Has a decent tan rocky head that fades a little too fast.

Smell: It has the aroma of very ripe bananas especially when first poured. There is also some subtle cloves.

Taste: Taste of fruit and bananas. Cloves are still there but hard to find, just like they were in the smell.

I wasn't expecting much from this beer as every other Michelob product I've ever had has seemed to be a watered-down version of the style their meant to represent, But I'm glad to say that this is a very fine brew and it appears that Michelob is finally stepping up their game.

09-30-2008 23:52:41 | More by BierFan
thekevlarkid

Maryland

I poured this 'dark wheat ale' into my mug and found it to be a dark, murky copper color with a khaki head. The head formed a thick cap and retained very well. The aroma was earthy and robust, 'wet' wheat and hints of spice. The flavors were smoky, roasted and toasted malt, hints of cloves and a pleasant but subtle sweetness. Quite smooth and well balanced with a mild carbonation and medium body. Though the wheat character is a bit subdued I have to give this one credit. Michelob name aside, this is a very good Dunkelweizen and well worth picking up. Against all odds, A-B has produced a true-to-style, American version of a German beer competitive with craft brewers around the nation.

09-30-2008 20:28:33 | More by thekevlarkid
Lexluthor33

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours reddish brown with a small decent head and lace.
The aroma of cloves,malts and fruits.
The taste is sweet,cloves and some banana hints.Malts and fruit flavors follow.
The feel was smooth,some cream,medium body and light carbonation.

Notes: Not bad at all. Worth the try and decent. If this beer was a woman I would say yes to another night out. I would still come home though.

09-28-2008 05:16:27 | More by Lexluthor33
berserker256

The first of the Michelob specalty beers that I've had that wasn't a twist off. I went three rotations before I got the opener. It pours out a nice hazy amber dark bronze with a foamy tan head. No seeing through this one. It has that banana and clove sweet aroma typical of the style. Flavor reflects the smell perfectly but also the faint flavor of prune or plum can be picked up on. This is the best beer Michelob makes, I believe. Creamy and a pleasure to drink. Good stuff for a great price. I'll definitely be getting more.

09-27-2008 16:04:09 | More by berserker256
Brad007

Vermont

4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

Pours a mild, cloudy reddish-brown color with a thin head. Seems normal for the style.

Aroma is rich with hints of banana and clove. A bit of malt sweetness comes through.

Taste is smooth and sweet with the hints of clove and banana upfront. Seems spot on with the exception that it made me cough at first.

Mouthfeel is light with clove and banana lingering. Just a bit of sweetness too. Seems really nice for what it is. A little bit thin but has more flavor than their other offerings.

Drinkability is decent here. It takes a step of offering more flavor than their other offerings I've had. Not as dark as it could be but a very solid brew otherwise. I haven't had many dunkelweizens but I would buy this one again in a 6 pack if I had a choice.

09-27-2008 03:30:43 | More by Brad007
khiasmus

South Carolina

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a dirty amber with minimal head. Second time I've had this beer, and both times I've thought "ugly." It's a bit too light for the style as well... or maybe it's just so dense with clouds that it looks light.
Sweeeet, sweet banana esters, clove, malt syrup, slight belgian spice. Smells like an inviting dunkel.
Flavor is not as sweet as the nose, and lends a distinct melba toast/cereal flavor with a minimal balance from the hops in the finish. Not very complex, mainly a bit too sweet and syrupy, and rather one dimensional. Perhaps just a hint of orange, but no clove or spiciness that the nose suggested.
Lightly carbonated, medium-full bodied, smooth, clean finish.
I'm glad it was free. The first time I had this I really liked it and was impressed. However, that was on an already fatigued palate. Actually dissecting the flavor now, I'm a bit disappointed. Still, it's one of the best beers I've had from our friends at AB.

09-26-2008 00:05:24 | More by khiasmus
Domingo

Colorado

After being a big fan of the Colorado-only Ascent 54, I grabbed this as soon as I saw it on the shelf. Here's hoping they didn't dumb it down!
Pours a cloudy dark brown color with a fluffy head that forms with a normal pour.
The banana/clove/wheat/dark bread smells and flavors are there in full-force. It's just as I remember it.
I downed a bottle of this just like I would one in Bavaria.
It looks the part, tastes the part, and drinks the part. Plus, the price was relatively low to boot. It's cheaper & fresher than the Hacker-Pschorr import that I adore.
In terms of quality, there's no difference between this and the original Ascent 54, or for that matter between this and one from Munich.
Don't let the Michelob name fool you, this is a legit dunkel-weiss that's on par with any other you'll find.

09-23-2008 16:00:10 | More by Domingo