Michelob Dunkel Weisse - Anheuser-Busch

Dunkelweizen |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: mbrandon2w on 07-24-2008

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours out a dark reddish brown amber that allows a decent amount of light to get through, and a small bit of a haze to it.

Smell. Clove and bubblegum are the dominant characteristics to this one. There is a little banana as well, but not too much to me. The aroma certainly seems to be quite sweet...not to say other dunkelweizens arent sweet, but this one has a candy-like smell to it.

Taste. Flavor is sweet too. The cloves stay potent, but the banana flavor comes in stronger than in the aroma. the maltiness in it is nice, but a bit tame. Aftertaste is sweet and still reminds me of a sweet candy flavor.

Mouthfeel. Body is just a little thinner than i like, as it has just a little bit of a watery feeling to it. not to say it is very watery, I just would have liked a little more body. Carbonation is ok as well, but i like this style to have more than this one has.

Overall, a pretty decent dunkelweizen. I like this style as it seems to be a rather consistent style as far as getting good tasting beers within it, no matter who makes it (well, perhaps not really...but i think it should :). I do wish it was a little fuller of a mouthfeel, but i cant complain with the price.

3.1/5  rDev -10.7%

Cloudy brown colored beer with a good tan colored head.

Smell is banana and wheat malt with very faint clove aroma. Fainter fig and raisin scent.

The taste starts out sweet with a mild banana and fig flavor with a cake like malt flavor. Even a fainter clove flavor.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Tastes vaguely like what it is supposed to be only watered down. Think of this beer as the AOL of Dunkelweizen, well it is kind of like the really thing.

Poured a 12-oz bottle into a pilsner glass. I did follow the pouring instructions on the bottle. A cloudy amber color with a pretty nice tan head. Plenty of noticeable carbonation as the beer sits, the head fades slowly and the lacing is fair to good. This is all promising to say the least.

Earthy wheat and banana aroma, blending nicely with some nice caramel and roasted malt notes. The taste is of wheat malt, banana and nice earthiness again, yeasty and wheaten. Some mild hop notes in the middle, that fade to a pleasantly bitter finish that does not linger. It's pretty nice.

Fairly light but noticeable body, smooth and creamy even, with good carbonation for sure. Easy to drink, a six-pack will not last long around here today.

4.22/5  rDev +21.6%

12oz bottle served in a weisse glass.

L - slightly clouded amber color with a fluffy beige head that left globs of lacing.

S - sweet wheat, malt, banana and spiced aromas.

T - sweet and wheaty, and whatever their special yeast strain is, it's a pretty decent tasting brew.

F - medium bodied with a crisp feel.

D - this one goes down way too easy!

2.68/5  rDev -22.8%

This may be my first DunkelWeisse but im not sure. Cloudy cooper color beer with a nice 1/2 inch head. Smells of yeast, fruit and spice. Hmmm I know ive had this before...hmmm bacon grease...nope it my Grandmas banana bread. Very light and clear tasting i suppose it would be drinkable for this style. Certainly bananas give it different blend of spice and fruit (than cherry or citris fruits) that make it interesting. Nice to try but im not a fan. Ill have to compare it to future DunkelWeisse

3.68/5  rDev +6.1%

My first of the Michelob craft beers...
The color part, they got down - this beer was appropriately dark - and I think the even got some yeast in there, as the bottom of the bottle poured out something that looked a little like sediment and the beer looked a bit hazey. However, I am skeptical. The beer was not highly carbonated, as weizens in my experience usually are, and I am prone to believing that it is force carbonated and not truly bottle conditioned. I'm probably just being a beer snob, but, well, it doesn't seem "hand-crafted."

That said, this beer is overall, a positive experience. The aroma has restrained banana and clove. In the mouth, combined with hop bitterness perhaps, this comes across as banana rind, not intensely banana, but banana, and maybe a little bit of rind bitterness. There is also a sweetness that I am inclined to attribute to crystal malts. This sweetness doesn't quite seem right for the style. It's good, but at times it seemed a little too caramelly or something.

Not too shabby. I will happily drink again, but may be reluctant to purchase, knowing that I'd be paying the man! OK, seriously? It is the only dunkelweizen available in my area. It's not a style that I drink regularly, but I might buy this one again, who knows?

2.98/5  rDev -14.1%

I'll have to give the Michelob brand their props. The new line of beers that try to acheive craft-like status actually turn out quite well. This one has some nice dark malt taste, similar to standard German Dunkels or Brown Ales. The wheat character lacks somewhat and doesn't give the beer the richness or firmness that I expect in the style. Aromas are faint and may have a touch of graininess, but fares similarly to most other craft beer attempts of the sytle. The beer has a pronounced clove character throughout and I'm not entirely convinced it is derived completely from the yeast- maybe something was added to intensify this flavor, yet give little else in terms of yeastiness or breadiness. But the body is where the beer shows a mass-produces emptiness. Still, the beer is quite ok.

3.8/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours from the 12 oz. bottle a dark, cloudy copper with a one finger head. Modest carbonation. Slight fruitiness on the nose. First sip has a distinct banana flavor with a slight nuttiness. The mouthfeel is a nice fullness, not too light, not too heavy. Overall, good stuff! I bought a single to review, but i'll be picking up a sixer next time around!!

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

Curious about this one.

I've seen the billboards on the highway. The box says, "17 IBUs, Hallertau and Tettnang hops, Two-row chocolate, wheat, and caramel malt." AB is definately learning how to pander to the craft brew audience with their Michelob line.

Pours a very cloudy dark brown with an orange tint when held up to the light. Thick light brown head with better than average retention. Head is quite lumpy.

A whiff reveals strong yeasty, spicy clove, and mellow fruitiness.

The taste reveals cocoa, bananna (of course), and clove along with some hops in tow to keep it balanced. Malty, chocalatey, and fruity yet (even some bubblegum) balanced. While it is no Aventinus it is still a damn good representation of this style in my opinion. I would put this right up there with Ayinger and Franziskaner any day of the week.

Hell yeah, I really like this one and I think it is without a doubt the best beer I have ever tasted from AB. Whatever AB did differently with this beer they should note and learn from because this is way above what I expected from them.

3.63/5  rDev +4.6%

I had heard for some time that Michelob bottled a good dunkelweizen, and the first chance I got, I tried it. Tonight, it was pitted against a couple of doppelbocks, and it fared remarkably well.

Appearance: Nice and cloudy, with a mahogany brown hue. A good weizen pour yielded a modest 1.5-finger head with decent retention. A nice little cap remained on my beer throughout drinking. Lacing is nil, but the water here (in New Orleans) may have contributed to that.

Smell: Toasted wheaty malt, with an unfortunate twinge of copper. Mostly, though, I smell hefty toast crust.

Taste: Compared to German dunkelweizens I've had, this one's a little watery and hollow, with minimal banana/clove notes. But compared to everything else I've had from Michelob, it's a revelation. Toasty, malty, wheaty, and...coppery. What is it with American macro-micros and that metallic flavor?

Mouthfeel: See "Taste." Compared to good German dunkelweizens, it's light, watery, and a bit empty. Compared to other American wheat beers, it's nice. The toastiness somehow enhances the feel.

Drinkability: Shockingly, this compares fairly favorably with Weyerbacher's Slam Dunkel (which is, in my opinion, the current torchbearer for American wheat beers). This is discernibly lighter/waterier than Slam Dunkel, but still a very pleasant surprise from Michelob.

Thank you, Michelob, for broadening the horizons of American macrobrewing. You are headed in the right direction with this one.

4.08/5  rDev +17.6%

I must say that I am very impressed with this beer. Very good representation of the style.

A - Poured out a cloudy, dark amber/burgandy color wit a tan, long-lasting, foamy head that lef some sticky, patches of lace.

S - It smelled of wheat, clove, dark roasted malt and some yeast.

T - It tasted of roasted malt, a very toasty flavor. Nice smooth wheat flavors with hints of clove.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a very good Dunkel. I am very impressed with the quality of this brew.

4.2/5  rDev +21%

A - One finger of dense khaki foam sits solidly atop a dirty brown cloudy brew that has russet tints. Some foamy lace is smattered around the glass, and head retention is really nice. Hey, were of to a good start!

S - Deep yeasty banana bread notes inter mingle with big juicy orange aromas from the wheat content. Some sweet bubblegum notes are there, along with notes of my mom's zucchini bread. Doughy, yeasty, and twangy on the nose. This smells fresh, juicy, and bakery-made.

T - The flavor follows the nose here. Big time yeast freshness with banana and zucchini bread, banana meringue pie, and some light caramel and chocolate-chip flavors in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with a nice foamy carbonation that adds body. This is fresh and thirst quenching as all get out. The finish is clean and slightly tangy, and a light dusty feel grows after the swallow.

D - This is the best beer made by a giant macro brewery that I've ever had. I wonder if this is the final product of the Ascent 54 that I had at the Fort Collins A-B brewery last fall? It sure tastes like it, and I remember that dunkleweissen standing out as an amazing beer for a macro brewer when I had it.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured a dul; cloudy mahogony color with modet off-white head. Poor retention, some sporadic lacing.

Smell is perfect for the style with stong bana and glove notes.

Taste also has the banana and spices upfront, but a bit too dry sensation slowly overpowers it.

Again too much dryness at the finish.

OK to start, but there are better examples of the style.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, dark mahogany-hued brown body with a thin, fizzy, off-white head.

Smell: Aroma of toasted bananas and dark wheat malt with a zing of clove-scented spice.

Taste: Toasty, tangy dark wheat with a mild, unassuming sweetness. Kick of banana and clove on each and every sip. Hints of caramel come and go. Very light spicy hops and bitterness. Drying finish with a lingering spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-high, tingy carbonation.

Drinkability: Would I have another? I highly doubt it. But it's still a commendable try for A-B.

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a hazy dark amber/brown with a one inch off white head sitting on top. Decent retention and a bit of spotty lace.

The aroma is ok. Banana and clove certainly come through on the nose as well as a little graininess.

The taste is fine. Again, banana and clove on the tongue. A bit grainy on the finish and slightly bitter. Finish is fairly abrupt and slightly dry.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly high. It's a decent tasting brew and certainly a solid offering.

3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

I have tried several of the specialty beers from AB in years past. Most were very disappointing. I purchased a 6er of this on sale with some reservation

I poured this to see a foamy medium head and dark cloudy brown. Nothing wrong with that.

The nose is sweet yeasty and caramel.

Taste is true to the wheat beer type. Sweet yet tangy, with caramel and malt. There could be a little coffee at the end. Mouthfeel has a good bite to it as well.

Overall, a very easy to drink beer. When I looked in the bottom of the bottle and saw yeast settling out, this is a sea change for AB.

4.5/5  rDev +29.7%

Amazing. None of the AB "craft brews" in the past really were all that great. Some were drinkable if nothing better was on hand, but none were something I would buy again if I had a choice. A few days ago I bought my first 6 of Bud Ale. I was not surprised that it was pretty good because I had read reviews saying it would be. But yesterday I bought a 6 of this because I was in a store with limited selection. What a surprise. It was just right.

I probably could have given this all 5's (I am usually generous). In some ways, I don't think this is true to the style, but it doesn't matter. This should be a benchmark for a great brew, whatever you call it. THIS is the best AB I have ever tasted.

I bought another 6 today!

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a dark amber orange. Inch or two of white foam head. Smells like bananas and grass.

Really nice flavor. Strongly of bananas, maybe a bit of cloves ... though the wheat and grass comes through quite clearly. I am shocked. 5.99 a sixer? Too bad there was only one left.

I enjoyed the Michelob Porter, too. Michelob's doing a real good job with these micro brew offering, particularly at this price point. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy. This is a very good beer: when you consider the price, it's phenomenal.

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

Here's proof that AB can make a quality craft beer. This is very nice dunkel weise. Everything from the pour, to the aroma, to the taste, to the mouthfeel are impressive.

Reddish brown colored with a frothy head...the nose is big on the cloves and then some big banana esters...also has some richer caramel like maltiness that doesn't dominate but complements nicely. Really smells nice.

The taste mimicks the nose....nice balance between the cloves and banana notes...also some subtle but enjoyable caramel maltiness.

Body is medium to perhaps a little on the light side of medium...carbonation is spot on...

I'm impressed....everything is very impressive with this beer. I have not been a big fan of most of the other Michelob craft offerings but this is a winner...nice price too. I will buy again....and again....and again....

3.18/5  rDev -8.4%

Saw the smart packaging from afar and thought it had to be a Bud product. Who else can afford that kind of design work? (Of course, it's easy to pick the poorly-designed AB products on the shelves, too--like Shocktop or whatever it's called!) Alright, I'll buy one bottle and give it a try. Dunkels don't always travel well from Germany so why not try one brewed 3.5 hours away.

It poured a big frothy head (good sign) that dropped very quickly (bad sign). Copper orange color. Lots of carbonation rising from the depths.

Aroma is not half bad. There's ripe banana, dark fruit, slight clove, maybe a hint of leather.

However, the beer lacks the flavor impact that the aroma promises. It's tame compared to a Schneider, Ayinger, or a Weihestephaner (however that is spelled) Dunkel. It's also thinner than it should be and doesn't have that sparkle that a good German Dunkel weizen should have.

I guess for an AB product, it's rather adventurous and should rattle the minds of the usual Bud Light drinkers. For that we should be thankful from AB. It's good for AB, average for the style. But it's not as good as I had hoped and I will continue to buy the real German dunkels.

3.68/5  rDev +6.1%

another new craft style beer from AB, the american ale isn't half bad so i decided to give this a shot. pours almost like a rasberry beer, has that same color to it, but with a big frothy head, the head is similar to alot of IPA's very frothy and doesn't die down very quickly. smell is pretty damn good, actually reminded me of a beer that i homebrewed myself.orange peel, corriander are dominant as is a nice yeasty presence. taste leaves something to be desired, it just doesn't have enough body to it, while it is lighter like alot of regular hefe's, for a dark hefe is seems a bit weak. but maybe i'm crazy. mouthfeel is again kind of weak, watery overall. it started off great and ended up a little less than that i expected. but it is not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, just could of been great with just a little more to it.

3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a deep amber color with a 1/2 inch fluffy head that fades to a frothy ring. Malty nose with hints of banana and clove. Taste is malty with a significant banana aroma and the clove stinging the palate as a secondary wave of flavor. Mouthfeel is medium on the thinner side but seems appropriate for this brew. Kudos to Michelob for producing a well crafted and enjoyable brew. Very tasty.

4.1/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance: Pours a nice, cloudy amber in bright light with a pretty nice tan head. Plenty of tiny carbonation bubbles, and the head sticks around for a while, leaving some nice moderate lacing on the sides of the glass. Outside of direct light, the beer looks like a muddy brown. Not bad, it has all the qualities I would expect from a dunkel weizen, although maybe not quite as much as I would expect.

Smell: Once again, pretty good. I get caramel malts, some nice fresh banana, and cloves. Just how it should be. It's not overpowering, but it is there and strong enough.

Taste: I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but again... this beer has a taste in line with what I would expect from its appearance and aromas. Nice and malty and wheaty, and the banana and cloves really kick in a bit later in the sip, and especially in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Not light, that's for sure, and not outright heavy. I would say it's somewhere between medium and medium-heavy. No complaints here.

Drinkability: Being made by a megabrewery, you'd expect this to be toned down somewhat and easy to drink. Well, it does seem toned down just a bit, but that's not a bad thing. And it certainly is easy to drink, but perhaps a bit filling. On the other hand, I love wheat beers, so by default the drinkability is up there for me.

Conclusion: I first had Michelob's Porter and Bavarian-Style Wheat, then their new all-malt Michelob Lager, and finally this. I'm impressed. It just goes to show, if a macro brewery wants to brew a quality beer, they surely can. They just often choose not to. I didn't originally like Michelob, when about all they sold was their adjunct-laden macro crap, but they're quickly earning respect from me. I will most definitely get this stuff again.

4.45/5  rDev +28.2%

Oh, Where do I start?..I didn't expect much from AB,but I was pleasantly surprised here!
Appearance: hazy carmel color, head left nice tight collar,leaving broken lace behind.
Nose: clovey esters, a bit fruity.
Taste: hop tingle up front, followed by delicious banana/clove flavors, and a bit spicy also.
Mouth: was slick, full and creamy.
Drinkability: is awesome!, very well done dunkel, I would not be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test between this and a good authentic German Dunkel Weisse, I was blown away at how good this was coming from Anhauser/busch, this WAAAY exceded my expectations!

3.73/5  rDev +7.5%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a cloudy dark brownish amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is wheat and a good amount of clove and banana. I am pretty impressed with the aroma, I was expecting something a lot less enticing.

T- I am also pretty impressed with the taste. It is a lot more flavorful than a lot of the craft beer attempts by A-B.

M- The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- A good amount of flavor and easy drinking, what more can you ask for? Not too shabby, kudos to A-B for actually producing a pretty decent brew.

Michelob Dunkel Weisse from Anheuser-Busch