1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light Golden Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light Golden WheatBud Light Golden Wheat

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 07-28-2009)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Golden Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 575 | Reviews: 303 | Show All Ratings:
sbegraft

Commercials on TV got me I bought a six. Only because they did not sell in single bottles.

very light beer for a wheat could see right through the glass. No lacing, poor head, taste like a bud. What can I say did not taste like a wheat beer at all.

very sad attempt at a wheat beer. Bought a six drank half a glass and dumped the rest out left the rest for some other sorry soul.

07-16-2010 02:49:24 | More by sbegraft
cbarrett4

Oregon

1.02/5  rDev -61.9%

This is horror in a bottle. The beer is completely concocted and adultered. Like every other 'Lite' beer, this is the result of chemical formulas and not of artistic brewing.

This smells like a skunk urinated in a wheat field. I hate putting fruit in my beer, but this deserves an ENTIRE lemon, if only to reduce the horror. I sent it back (waitress brought it because it was new and she wanted me to taste... bitch! lol!) and ordered a Shiner instead. And this was during my last week in Houston. Thank goodness I am in Portland and have dozens of local craft beers to appease me!

11-09-2009 02:32:57 | More by cbarrett4
KarlHungus

1.23/5  rDev -54.1%

This beer pours a cloudy pale orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into moderate lacing. The aroma is of coriander and way too much cardamom. Wow, I never thought get too much aroma from an AB beer. My guess is that there is only a moderate amount of coriander/cardamom in this beer, and there just isn't enough beer character to cover it up. The taste has more beeriness to it, and it covers up the sipce but not is a good way. It is really a nasty adjunct taste. The mouthfeel is thin and watery. Overall, I think I can best describe this beer as being a watered down adjunct witbier, and a beer like that is utterly nasty. This is a true drain pour.

10-21-2009 23:11:50 | More by KarlHungus
JohnnyMc

1.23/5  rDev -54.1%

A more refreshing beer than Bud Light and more flavor than Budweiser, but just because it's better doesn't mean it's good.

No, this isn't a craft beer so it shouldn't be held to that standard, but regardless there isn't much to this beer other than being refreshing.

02-16-2012 16:47:39 | More by JohnnyMc
LightEnthusiast

South Dakota

1.27/5  rDev -52.6%

Bud Light Golden Wheat in a bottle. Glad I bought the six pack and not a 12 or 18. The appearance is appealing, with a slightly inviting orange glow. As you crack it open there's a mild orange smell and coriander peels are generous as well with a nose of honey. This appears to be a beer of higher stature.

That's until you taste it. This beer goes good with nothing. It ruins meals and leaves a bitter aftertaste in your mouth. The only time it even tasted mediocre was when I had nothing else on my palette for hours. Passable on a hot day when you have not eaten a thing and are working hard. Note, passable.

I'm not a professional beer tester, but I know what I like and don't like. I do not like this beer.

I tried it on recommendation that the average user review here was a "C". I had some spare bottles of Michelob Ultra sitting in my fridge - now THAT beer slammed this one way out of the ballpark. Perfect with pizza, salad, peanut butter sandwiches - ANYTHING.

But this? Throw it in the trash. I felt like getting a refund after trying a couple bottles. Ugh. Save your money and buy something else! Please!

02-16-2010 01:57:21 | More by LightEnthusiast
rustynosebleed

1.38/5  rDev -48.5%

oh my this is truly a terrible beer...and i love wheat beers. it doesn't even smell or taste like beer. the smell reminds me of those orange circus peanut marshmallow type things. the taste is even worse than bud light...it's not beer, it's something horrible that i can't explain. after drinking one, i really regret getting a whole 6 pack. don't bother.

02-18-2010 05:31:12 | More by rustynosebleed
peabody

Kentucky

1.6/5  rDev -40.3%

Pours out like dirty water. Not really a single yellow color but more like a mixture of all colors that make a not so appealing looking beer. No lacing and very little suds.
Smell is not too bad. Some spice and wheat in there but it's very weak.
Taste is yuchk. Jesus, they bottle dirty water and sell it to saps who think this is cool drinking a so called "Wheat Beer".
Mouthfeel is very weak and almost non-existant.
Drinkability is almost nothing here. Terrible attempt from the Big Bud Corp.

10-12-2009 21:31:28 | More by peabody
nlmartin

1.65/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Picked up a bomber of this gem at the gas station. Why on earth would you want 22 ounces of Bud light golden wheat? The beer was served cold and in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beers body is clear effervescent orange coloration. The head of the beer is white and quickly resolves.

Smell: The beers aroma is musty light citrus notes. The beer is long on the grain aroma.

Taste: I know the beer is fresh. It hasnt been in production very long. The beer manages to have a musty grain flavor. Very little citrus flavor, no peppery coriander. In all honesty the beer goes for no flavor and a suggestion of flavor. A astringent flavor seems to finish the beer.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beers body has stinging carbonation. The beer is vaguely oily and not in a pleasing hoppy oilyness. It was a chore to finish half of the beer. In short this is exactly what I expected from Bud. Yuck!...

12-06-2009 06:19:47 | More by nlmartin
carlspeed

1.7/5  rDev -36.6%

I'm not really sure how to describe this beer other that almost 100% crap. I like bud light, and when I want to drink 10 beers to get sloshed, that's typically what I go for. However, Bud Light Golden Wheat seems to have less alcohol, and more Bud Select 55 (another horrific joke in the beer world by AB). I bought BLGW because I like AB, and I figured it would be better than Blue Moon. Holy crap was I wrong. I would rather drink PBR exclusively for a month straight than pay money for Bud Light Golden Wheat. Buy Blue Moon if you are looking for a cheap Witbier. Period. End of discussion. I have never been more disappointed with something that I have drank in my life. Please don't make the same mistake I did.

04-25-2010 04:32:05 | More by carlspeed
NicholasMiller

1.73/5  rDev -35.4%

when I first heard of this beer I was skeptical, but I said what the hay and bought a six pack. upon first taste when it first struck my tounge I thought it tasted bit like a blue moon light. Quickly though the flavor diminished leaving a strange flavor in my mouth. I muscled down about 3 and half but I coulden't do it. I am not a man who wastes a beer or even not finish a six pack but the weak body and very little if not any smell or flavor was just terrible. Nice try bud lite but I see this beer to popular only with women or people who just dont know or drink good beer.

10-21-2009 01:22:26 | More by NicholasMiller
route66pubs

1.73/5  rDev -35.4%

Pours a light, clear, fizzy yellow with lots of bubbles and a full, white head with no lace and no head retention.

Smells of wheat and mushy instant rice.

Taste of bad, mushy Minute Rice with an ever so slight syrupy citrus note.

Very effervescent, but with a soapy coating.

Crispness is a put off, and syrup-like flavor and feeling are very unpleasant.

09-27-2010 20:44:48 | More by route66pubs
Cakanator

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

Ok so not the worst beer I've ever had, but I thought I would give it a go since it was available. Pours like a bud light, looks like a BL, and even for a moment tastes like BL. I can see this being ok on a very hot summer day while mowing the lawn. Thin taste, minor citrus to speak of, and well light. I guess they got what they wanted in this one.

11-15-2009 20:07:14 | More by Cakanator
Kanyon22

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

Poured 12oz. bottle into a hefeweizen glass

A: Pours a hazy watery peach color with a white fizzling head.

S: Has a yeasty, citric orange smell and a little bit of wheat trying to sneak in as well. Smell pretty good I'm nervous.

T: A watered down spicy (coriander?) taste with just a bit of wheat in the end.

M: Surprisingly medium rich feel to the body and a not so surprising clean finish

D: Really bland and water down nothing stood out to keep me interested.

This was what I expected from a product which has light in the name, bland and boring.

12-05-2009 02:44:20 | More by Kanyon22
OttoBomb

1.8/5  rDev -32.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass, (November 27, 2009).

Eyes: Hazy golden, quite a foamy head, large bubbles. No lacing.

Nose: A mild sweet citrus, grainy, actually not awful.

Tongue: The taste is not bad, but it doesn't actually taste like wheat. The citrus flavors are there, but it doesn't taste natural. It's a bit weak, but I guess that's the point.

Mouth: Crisp, quite noticeable carbonation.

Libation: For what is is it's not bad, but it must be drunk quite cold for it to show it's best side. That said, it's a wheat beer that tastes like it's a bud light with some artificial orange flavoring, so I'm a bit confused by the name. Another run-of-the-mill adjunct style lager, not something to drink if you actually in the mood for a beer.

11-28-2009 06:49:08 | More by OttoBomb
BeanBone

1.85/5  rDev -31%

Appearance: A nicely hazy, golden-amber body with a big white head that features decent retention and lacing. Lo an behold, there's even some sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Not much wrong with the way it looks.

Aroma: A neutered wheat body with some definite notes of citrus and spice. It's a little thin, but that's hardly a surprise.

Taste: Things quickly go south in the flavor profile--there's just not much here. It's predictably crisp, with mild citrus and just a hint of mixed spice. In a bizarre fashion, wheat only really shows up in the tangy aftertaste, and what's left of the malt is extremely watered down. At times, you can't find much of a malt backbone at all--and with the low (or totally absent) hop presence, all you're left with is a little citrus.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied with sharp carbonation and a crisp, clean finish.

Drinkability: Clearly, this beer was built for rapid consumption, and it delivers on that promise.

Verdict: Golden Wheat is almost totally devoid of flavor--imagine drinking a Witbier while you have an extreme cold--which is, frankly, a better result than I had feared. Here's hoping it somehow helps push some more people into exploring the world of beer.

09-27-2009 00:42:35 | More by BeanBone
hooliganlife

Missouri

1.85/5  rDev -31%

free on tap at grants farm.

pour was deep murky copper with a slight orange hue. nice fluffy white head

smell wasnt too bad, there was a bit of wheat with a touch of citrus, mainly lime.

VERY slight wheat up front with an artificial lime funk that made its artificial self known. it was overpowering in that it ruined the beer. there was not much of a wheat presence here at all, it was light and slightly bitter.

carbonation was actually pretty decent and it had a nice body.

i had two glasses, the first was just terrible. i figured maybe they had bud light light lime running through this line first and they didnt clean it. i stopped drinking that glass and went for another from the other tap. it was not as bad but there was still a fake lime flavor. i know the kewl thing with that crowd is a lemon slice in the glass so i am curious if AB (piss off inbev) added this citrus flavor to compensate for it. terrible decision.

09-27-2009 01:22:21 | More by hooliganlife
secondtooth

Indiana

1.88/5  rDev -29.9%

A certain pizza company is wise to proclaim the benefits of "better ingredients", and I believe that applies to beer, as well. This one has a decent cloudy wheat appearance, but first taste reveals a soft, fuzzy, fizzy mix of coriander, citrus, and...something artificial? Maybe metallic. I dunno. I do know that this one tastes one-dimensional and cheap. Absolutely horrid.

09-24-2009 03:45:22 | More by secondtooth
zms101

1.9/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

This beer has to be designed for female drinkers in areas where Busch Lt and PBR are common in the fridge. So it may sell.
I had it after a long day of work and was looking forward to trying a new beer - even a Bud Light product. I was genuinely surprised that I could not finish the bottle. Bud Light itself has a better finish. Although it does have a soft, respectable aroma, the carbonation makes the "mouthfeel" a joke, and at the end it's pure Natural Light. Maybe it has its place at a summer fraternity bash, too.

10-16-2009 18:56:25 | More by zms101
DosBeerigos

1.9/5  rDev -29.1%

C(clarity). Cloudy
H(hue). Orange
N(nose). Pretty bland, hint of citrus, coriander

Tailgate tested, Dos Berr-igos not approved. If you can't find this beer in the store, buy a Bud Light and twist an orange in it. Hell, the orange is probably better than the beer anyway.

02-24-2010 20:20:58 | More by DosBeerigos
mbudner

1.93/5  rDev -28%

My roommate (not into beer at all) bought a case of this and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to crack one and review it. Poured into a pint glass.

Overall- Tastes A LOT like regular BL, but even less flavor. There is a faint, faint hint of tang (the artificial orange drink) in the finish.

A- Pours thin and light like a typical American adjunct lager, but with a slight orange hue. Head rises quickly as with many BMCs, but recedes almost more quickly than it came. Absolutely no lacing or evidence that the beer has ever been at a higher level than it now is.

S- I don't get a hoppiness or maltiness from this beer. No "wheat" qualities whatsoever or coriander or orange peel. Basically, none of the advertised ingredients of this beer are even remotely noticeable in this beer. Knowing they are in there, I can't even pretend to smell them. It smells like absolutely nothing and what a bar smells like in the morning (i.e. dried Bud Light.)

T- Remarkably, it has even LESS flavor than Bud light. It honestly tastes like drinking nothing and I am not trying to hate on it for no reason. Bud Light has a distinct "BMC" taste that I can't even begin to parse. This has even less than that. I can't even describe it. It's nothing-ness is overwhelming. After all this, as it warms (as much as letting this warm grosses me out) and I get orange flavored metal, but it more tastes like if you put a pinch of tang into a giant glass of water. The gross orange flavor is just watered down and, well, gross.

M- Too thin, but solid amount of carbonation. It is nice a prickly, which is about the only good thing I can say about this beer.

D- I wouldn't want to drink more than one of this beer (I didn't even finish the one I'm reviewing, but I did have most of it), but if I was still in college and drinking beer to get drunk (I separated my beer advocacy and my getting drunk at my frat house), this is the closest to water it gets. Less flavorful than BL, wow.

11-16-2009 04:05:12 | More by mbudner
MikeRa

1.98/5  rDev -26.1%

A: This beer has a light orange-amber color, with some yeast in the beer.

S: a faint hint of citrus, nothing else

T: This beer taste more like regular Bud Light than it does to the witbier. Can taste some coriander, but that's it.

M: Very light and really waterly

D: This is one of a couple Anheuser busch products that I'll will not touch again.

02-18-2010 03:06:11 | More by MikeRa
aasher

Indiana

This is probably the worst wheat beer I've ever had. It pours this strange murky orange that makes me thing of Tang. The smell is of light, light yeast, coriander, and oranges. It's overly generic. The taste is of light yeast, coriander, and citrus. This drinks between light and medium in body but it's not in a good way whatsoever. This is an awful wheat and not worthy anyone's time. It's just a Budweiser gimmick.

02-20-2011 16:55:03 | More by aasher
TLove

District of Columbia

2.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Yes, I understand that this is the Bud LIGHT version of a citrus wheat beer, but does that really excuse the complete incapacity to produce anything of substance other than in the mouthfeel?

A pale wheat with a watery structure, but a strong presence of citrus. The citrus, while strong (not unlike the similar imbalance in Bud Light Lime), does not lend to this beer any depth of flavor that is needed. The issue is the lack of any real backbone in the wheat component. Seriously, Bud. Were you worried that actually giving the beer some substance would drive people away?

Upped the ante on the mouthfeel. You can say what you want about Budweizer, but you cannot say that the beer is inconsistent in its carbonation or smoothness. Drinkability? Not so much.

11-20-2009 15:45:23 | More by TLove
TheKingofWichita

2.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Another Bud Light take off -- hooray!
Pours a golden copper color, small head -- dissipates quickly, no lacing.
Smells sort-of like a wheat beer but more like Bud Light.
Tastes like wheat, with some artificial orange flavor added.
Mouthfeel is very thin and sickly.
Very low drinkability.

10-05-2010 17:52:51 | More by TheKingofWichita
IrieJackalope

2.1/5  rDev -21.6%

Didn't have too high of hopes for this one, and unfortunately I wasn't surprised.
Poured this into a standard pint glass, minimal head that quickly fizzes away and leaves no lacing. The aroma is predominately citrus with faint hints of the traditional Bud Light. No hop aroma whatsoever. The taste is almost as equally unappealing as the aroma. Lots of orange, not a whole lot of anything else. I ended up pouring the back half of the glass down the drain, just so I could move on to something else. Long story short, I grabbed this out of morbid sense of curiosity and will certainly not be making this mistake again.

03-21-2010 07:08:27 | More by IrieJackalope