1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bud Light Golden Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light Golden WheatBud Light Golden Wheat

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 07-28-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Golden Wheat Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev -0.4%

I picked up a bottle of this stuff with high hopes because I had heard nothing but good things.

A- Pale yellow, very cloudy. Exactly what you'd expect from a macro's attempt at a wheat beer.

S- Smelled like pure alcohol mixed with a hint of citrus, possibly some lemon.

T- Tasted almost exactly like it smelled. Pure alcohol with a hint of corn and a very subtle citrus aftertaste. The bottle said it was brewed with coriander, and I tasted none.

M-Very watery. Not too carbonated. A tiny bit grainy.

D- Not very heavy at all. I could drink this stuff all day. I'm not sure how much I'd want to, though.

This isn't much of a serious beer. Although, I am glad that this beer is being mass produced, in hopes that it will turn some light beer drinkers on to some tasty beers.

1.02/5  rDev -61.7%

This is horror in a bottle. The beer is completely concocted and adultered. Like every other 'Lite' beer, this is the result of chemical formulas and not of artistic brewing.

This smells like a skunk urinated in a wheat field. I hate putting fruit in my beer, but this deserves an ENTIRE lemon, if only to reduce the horror. I sent it back (waitress brought it because it was new and she wanted me to taste... bitch! lol!) and ordered a Shiner instead. And this was during my last week in Houston. Thank goodness I am in Portland and have dozens of local craft beers to appease me!

Poured into a standard pint glass
Cloudy golden, moderate head of foam
Aroma-Wheat, faint coriander
Taste-Wheat, faint coriander and citrus, thin-bodied-flavor seems almost artificial-watery finish-Upon warming, takes on an unpleasant, "grandmother's perfume" smell
At least they're trying-would choose this over regular Bud Light in a heartbeat-Might not be bad to slam on a very hot day

3.1/5  rDev +16.5%

pours out an burnt orange hue with a firm fizzy collar of foam. light clinging lace. lightly fruity nose, definite orange peel aroma and some faint wheat whiffs. the taste is a delicate mix of oranges and bud light....ha...imagine that...with an ever so slight hint of spice. not bad. light to moderate mouthfeel; a bit spritzy yet soft tones abound. drinkability is good for a beer of this sort. there really isn't much to this concoction yet it has a definite quenchability to it. and it has flavour. i bet i could pound a few of these on a hot summer day.

of all AB's marketing ploys, i hope this one sticks. it could possibly turn light beer drinkers on to other wheats, wits and related styles...and that could only be good for the craft beer industry as a whole.

3.2/5  rDev +20.3%

Appearance is a hazy golden orange with a head that dissapated quite quickly. Smell actually has a nice soft orange zest with wheat and light hops. Taste has citrus, wheat and light spice. Mouthfeel is light with good body and carbonation. I've got to say for a Bud Light made into a wheat, its not traditional, but not bad.

2.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Decided to give this a try because I'm a big fan of wheat beers. It pours a hazy, orange color with minimal white head. Smells of citrus, but not like a typical wheat, more of a juice drink. Taste is where this one kind of starts to go downhill. It has many artificial characteristics and really doesn't taste much like beer. The mouthfeel is fizzy and drinkiability, even for bud light, is pretty low. If you really like wheat beers, you probably won't like this one. If you're a die hard bud light drinker, this may be quite an adventure for you.

3.23/5  rDev +21.4%

The fiance picked this one up so I went with it. I'm not a beer purist who scoffs at AB and everything they brew... so with an open mind:

A - Golden orange color..hence the name! Had a medium head with tiny bubbles.

S - Nothing but a faint bit of citrus.

T - It definitely tastes like bud light when it firsts hits the mouth. The after taste is a faint, but surprisingly pleasant orange / citrusy taste.

M - Not great.. but fairly crisp and refreshing.

D - Not bad at all. One could definitely have a few of these.

Overall I can't knock it all that much. Come on now.. just because it's Bud Light doesn't mean it is complete suck. This is a beer with a little more flavor than your typical american light beer-- and is great for someone who is just getting into beers with more " flavor"

2.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Pour - No bottle opener necessary with this one. Pours a hazy orangish gold color with a thin seltzery head. Plenty of tiny streaming bubbles looking for an escape.

Aroma - Errr...this is tough. Very faint hints of orange zest and some sour wheat malt. My nose is not able to detect much else in this department....wait, I actually seem to think this has a little bit of a Pla-Doh aroma. Strange.

Taste - Watery mouthfeel, very light on the tongue and palate. I taste some a little bit of sweet citrus but none of the coriander. The back of my mouth is waiting for the flavor to arrive but it never really does, it just goes down my throat sort of like a cold glass of water. Definitely a light wheat beer, no argument there.

Overall - It didn't kill me and it was better than Bud Light. Its probably around a C- as far as quality and taste go. Hopefully people will use this as a gateway beer and seek out some craft brews to quench their curiosity.

Would I buy more of it? - Ummm, absolutely not. This was out of curiosity and curiosity alone.

2.65/5  rDev -0.4%

This tastes so much like a bud light you can barely taste the wheat/orange flavors. If i was blindfolded and given this beer I would automatically think it was bud light. I'm not even going to bother trying to explain the 5 aspects of this beer. It's bud light, with a higher price tag. Don't bother, if you think bud light is shit, this is shit +1.

2.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Just when you think you've tried every BA product out there, they come out with new stuff. This Bud Light Golden Wheat offering comes in 12 oz. brown, long neck bottles and ran $5.49 a 6 pack at Spring Wine & Spirits in Bloomingdale, IL. As with most AB products, there is a born on date on the back label. This one was marked 9/24/09, making this a pretty fresh 40 day old beer when I tried it.

The beer poured a cloudy golden orange color and made a 1½ finger fizzy white head, but that head completely disappeared before I even had the chance to set the glass down. There was also no lacing.

There's not much of a smell to this. Faint wheat and a little bit of corriander spice is all I get.

The flavor is OK, there's just not enough of it. I wish oerhaps they tried making a full strength golden wheat instead of a light golden wheat. The wheat maltiness and coriander spiciness compete for dominance but there really isn't enough of either. The orange peel bitterness that I couldn't pick up in the smell can certainly be detected in the flavor as the next main ingredient and is used to help balance out the sweet and spicy flavors. Not a bad effort by Bud but not a great wheat beer either.

Just give me more flavor. The only thing high in here is the carbonation. That is over the top, giving the beer a light but spritzy mouthfeel. There is also no hint of any alcohol. It's easy to drink, but then again, so is water. I would have preferred more calories if that would have given it more flavor.

3.43/5  rDev +28.9%

Once more AB-InBev is attempting to tap into the craft brew market, but I must admit that this might be their best crack at it yet. Honestly, I actually enjoyed this beer and even went out and bought a second 6-pack. I agree with someone else here who wrote that it has a better appearance and flavor than some microbrewery wheat beers I've had, and to do it as a "light" beer with fewer calories is truly a statement, and seeing as how my belly isn't getting any smaller, I might just buy this beer more from time to time to balance things out. The head was definitely lacking which does negatively impact mouthfeel, but the wheaty taste makes up for it which also adds greatly to its drinkability. And while I wouldn't say it's the best wheat beer I've ever had, I have to admit that I'm impressed that they were able to mass-produce a micro-style beer for the price, and if they can keep this up then I see a bright future ahead for Budweiser.

2.2/5  rDev -17.3%

bought this mostly due to the marketing: one night SNL was "brought to you by bud light golden wheat" so I went ahead and bought a six pack since I couldn't find individual bottles.
I DID roll the bottle to stit up the trub a bit and didn't avoid pouring it into the glassware.

A: poured from the 12 oz long neck bottle into my goblet. Very thin eggshell white head dissipated almost instantly as if it were ginger ale. This is an orangey beer and a bit cloudy.

S: smells a bit like malty bread dough that's been left out just a bit too long. NO hops come thru at all and no alcohol at all either.

T: not much here: no hops at all. kind of a malt soda.

M: very fizzy. no alcohol to note, really I cant get much of anything here.

D: this had no draw to bring me back...I'll most likely finsh the 6 pack only becuase I'm compulsive.

3.3/5  rDev +24.1%

Bud Light Golden Wheat...

Appearance-dark gold color, large head that's quite fizzy, sizzles down.

Smell-light sweet fruit and malt, some light spice (coriander) orange peel, light alcohol.

Taste/Mouthfeel-light fuse of wheat and fruit flavor and alcohol, actually well balanced and it works though it is indeed very light and subdued.

Drinkability-certainly light and refreshing on a hot day, perhaps too subdued though.

Overall-I give some credit on this beer, it has some flavor that I enjoyed, still too subdued compared to better versions but I'll give credit on the flavor.

3.68/5  rDev +38.3%

So here it is... the much-anticipated BL Golden Wheat. To preface this review I will say that I'm not one of these people who thinks just because AB brewed it, it MUST suck. I somewhat enjoy Bud and Bud Light for what they are, and a few of AB's "craft" attempts are enjoyable as well. But, I digress...

This one pours hazy gold; just a touch more robust in color than regular BL. Not much of a head, and what there was disappeared quick. So far its definitely a Bud Light.

Has a decent, if faint, aroma of spice, wheat and coriander. A little citrus zest.

Flavor is light and fruity. Coriander and citrus are assertive, but don't taste artificial or overdone. Maybe just slightly too sweet overall, but not bad. Could use a nice earthy hop presence to lend balance, but alas, none is to be found (and none was expected).

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with just enough carbonation.

Overall I kinda like it. It's really not bad. It's flavorful, crisp, and refreshing. I'm a little baffled as to why this wasn't a Spring/Summer release though. This is a beer for hot weather without a doubt. Not suited for cold NY winter months.

2.85/5  rDev +7.1%

A- Cloudy golden orange colored body. Large white head with no head retention, quickly turned to a cidery looking head. Very lively carbonation.

A- Smells like a citrusy pale wheat. Some very faint coriander notes.

T- Sweet pale wheat taste. Surprisingly bland for something brewed with citrus and coriander. There are some light citrus notes. Macro-beer aftertaste, but finishes pretty clean.

M- Light body. Very high carbonation. Not much going on here. I'd like something a tad bit creamier.

D- I almost refuse to even talk about drinkability as it is now a marketing term used by inbev-busch. I would not purchase this beer, it costs about as much as a good quality craft beer. I'd only slightly consider it in a bar of all busch beers. I had high hopes and was rather disappointed.

2.73/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce twist off bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Light tan head. Hazy golden amber body. Doesn't have good head retention.

Smell: Like a bad witbier. Did they just market Shocktop under a new name? Don't care for the smell one bit.

Taste: The taste is okay. Coriander and citrus masks the shortcomings of the Bud Light.

3.28/5  rDev +23.3%

Hazy golden color with a substantial foamy white head, that doesn't stay around long, lots of carbonation, but no real lacing.

The aroma is not bad, hints of wheat, citrus and coriander.

The taste is somewhat similar, light biscuity wheat flavor with a slightly sweet citrus flavor and hints of coriander at the finish.
A bit watery, but actually not bad by light beer standards.

Very light bodied, very easy to drink as long as it's ice cold.

3.43/5  rDev +28.9%

12 oz. brown bottle with a twist-off cap. Well, at least the bottle isn't clear. Personally I am going to review this as a "light beer" and not an "herbed/spiced" beer.

Pours what is actually a lovely color, rich golden with hints of orange and a mild cloudiness. Ample two finger head is white and fizzy, fizzles down to a very thin layer on top the beer (which is better than nothing). Looks great for a light beer, though the head would be a bit lame for a wheat beer.

The aroma comes with a citrus, almost peachy smell with a twist of spicy coriander. These scents are not bad, but they are masking the harsher elements of the beer and it comes off as catty with some plastic to it. Interesting flavor. Initially, it seems like a tasty brew, but negative elements pop up quickly on the midpalate. There is a light, crisp sweetness that the citrus/coriander enhances which is appealing until the full flavor of the beer comes along. Instead of being a good beer, this beer just covers up weaker elements of a mediocre beer. It is kind of like spraying perfume on instead of talking a shower. On the midpalate this beer brings a plastic quality that reminds me I am drinking a Bud Light.

I have to respect the change from metallic aftertaste to a plastic aftertaste that the big beer industry has strived to achieve over the last years. Light bodied, but not as watery as most light beers. Over carbonated and fizzy. Interesting development in industrialized beer, but little more than another twist on a tired formula.

Note: This review is based on the style of light industrial beer.

3.11/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Another try by the big guys at a mass produced 'craft' beer, and I must say I really enjoyed this one.. to be honest it had a better appearance and flavor than some microbrewery wheat beers I've had. The lack of any head is disappointing and kind of hurts the mouthfeel but there's a decent amount of wheaty taste to this one and it's highly drinkable. Don't get me wrong, I've had some much better wheats in the past, but to make a large quantity of a micro-type style beer for under $1 a beer, I'd say Budweiser hit a home run with this one. Will definitely be purchasing more of this on nights where I'm feeling cheap.

2.33/5  rDev -12.4%

Bud light Golden Wheat pours a murky light brown, with a small head that recedes to nothing.

Aroma is of Budweiser yeast, light spice and thats about all.

Let me guide you through my watered down experience; hay like wheat grains coupled with a vague spiciness. Tries to resemble a "macro craft" like Blue Moon but this falls very flat in the long run.

Mouthfeel is of course light and fairly crisp.

A bold attempt that comes up a bit short. Not overly enjoyable or memorable. Could be considered a gateway beer but this would probably lead macro drinkers to try real craft beer less.

3.15/5  rDev +18.4%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

Hazy golden color with a white head that thinned in a few minutes.
Grainy aroma with some citrus smells.
Sweet citrus flavor, light malt/grain taste.
Light bodied, crisp feel.
Pretty refreshing and easy to drink.

3.83/5  rDev +44%

now i would not drink a bud lite i do love wheat beer so what the heck, thought i would give this new bud lite wheat a try. i was pleasantly surprised. pours a cloudy golden color with a one finger head and slightly fruity aroma. can't really pick out the coriander but it did have a pleasant wheat and orange citrus taste and a light mouthfeel and very easy to drink. not to bad for a lite beer.

3.33/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice effort by Bud to try to create a more drinkable light beer than their normal Bud Light. It's got the color of tarnished brass with a head that's gone in sixty seconds. Now it kind of looks like a glass of apple cider sitting there. I like the smell. The label says coriander and citrus peels. I detect faint coriander and a sugary lemon kind of scent. It smells like Fruity Pebbles cereal... Or maybe Fruit Loops. It smells like it's going to taste sweet. Although it tastes nothing like a wheat beer it's really pretty decent. Watery texture due to it being a light beer, I suppose, but the actual flavor has a sweet citrusy charcter with no bitterness at all. It's extremely easy to drink. This has to be one of the best American macro brewed light beers. Now don't get me wrong... This beer sucks compared to real wheat beers, but I'm trying to rate it for what it is and compare it to other beers in its class. It's a better cheap mass-produced gimmick light beer
than other cheap mass-produced gimmick light beers.

2.35/5  rDev -11.7%

A very fruity (orange and approicot) flavored timid wheat beer that, in true Bud Light fashion, lacks body. Draws comparisons to Blue Moon, just lighter in body.

A very hazy orange colored beer brings on a spritzy and short lived head. All carbonation disipates very soon into the session. Has a liquified cream sicle appearance.

A lof of orange peel and appricot flavor and aroma with little else. Quite overdone, the fruitiness takes over with an unbalanced and unsupported sweetness. As with other Bud Light products, the flavors are somehwat void and empty without any meanigful maltiness, complexity, or balance.

The beer is a bit more full, sweet, and rich upfront than I expected. But once the intense flavor of appricot and orange begin to fade, the body dies as well. The beer gives very little character from mid palate on.

Fans of Coors Blue Moon will be able to tolerate this beer fine, but might find it lackluster in comparison.

2.28/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bud Light sucks but this has a C+ on this site so i had to give it a shot Pours a murky straw gold color with an airy white head that instantly dissipated. Aroma is sweet and mostly of oranges. There isn't much going on here. It tastes like a bud light but with a diet orange soda added to it. There is a very minerally aftertaste to this and it reminds me of tonic water. Feel is light. Even though this was a light beer i didn't find it all that drinkable due to the diet orange soda flavor. Not wheaty at all.

I prefer regular bud light. It tastes more like water.

Bud Light Golden Wheat from Anheuser-Busch