Bud Light Golden Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 07-28-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Golden Wheat Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours clouded golden with a nice white head that seems as if it might hold up, but collapses to a thin cover. Not much lacing sticks.

The smell is of wheat tang with very mild coriande and orange peel.

Well, it's an attempt at a light wheat that has some wit character... Wheat with hint of orange and coriander. It has a "Bud Light" character in the taste, esp. in the finish.

It is light-bodied. Not quite as fizzy as a typical light beer.

Inoffensive enough to try, but wouldn't get again. A Bud Light with some wheat and light spicing, as expected.

jwc215, Oct 17, 2009
2.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This should be interesting...

A: Cloudy golden color with very little head. I can see the carbonation steaming to the top, but it doesn't look like too much.

S: A lot of wheat is prominent here, along with some subtle hops and maybe just a hint of citrus? The smell isn't really anything special, but it's better than regular bud light!

T: I was pleasantly surprised here. Once again it's nothing special, but for a beer whose name starts with "Bud" it's not bad. Lots of wheat in the taste, just like the nose. Also some other grains and just a hint of sweetness. I was just glad that it had any sort of "reviewable" taste. Definitely a step up from regular Bud Light.

M: Not bad. It's fairly watery, as you would expect from a macro light beer, but the big wheat flavor also adds some decent texture. The wheat flavor also balanced out nicely with the amount of carbonation.

D: I have to say it went down pretty easy. This is definitely a step or two above most of the normal cheap "light beers" out there. I could drink more than one and not be too upset about it. The next time I have to buy some cheap beer from a gas station I might seek this out.

MrDanno96, Oct 17, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +10.5%

I had to get a bottle of this so I could see why it was so terrible. I kid! Here comes a review with the open-est mind I can muster...

Looks to be an orange, apricot color with a light, chilly haze that makes me try to wipe condensation off my pint that isn't there. The head is an irregular film of tiny bubbles, sustained by a fleet of little bubbles rushing up in columns from the bottom.

Smell is non-existent! After a few sniffs, I began to wonder if I had a head cold. Upon further review and a little beer on/up my nose, I detect musky old basement and corn chips mixed with ambiguous citrus zest and cheap triple sec. Even if this was prominent, it would still be repulsive.

The flavor definitely reminds me of bud, with old corn chips and mold, but this has a more prominent slick graininess, that reminds me a bit of a hefe. Sadly, the "spices" taste very artificial, like cheap, fake, orange candy and orange zest followed by a hint of... maybe nutmeg. It's some indistinct spice (that probably isn't real).

Feels bold and silky with a gentle swarm of carbonation that is really quite well done. But, this leaves an odd film in my mouth.

This isn't really too bad and definitely a step up from Bud light regular. I don't think I'll ever try this again, but it was worth the experience.

DarkerTheBetter, Oct 17, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

This beer has to be designed for female drinkers in areas where Busch Lt and PBR are common in the fridge. So it may sell.
I had it after a long day of work and was looking forward to trying a new beer - even a Bud Light product. I was genuinely surprised that I could not finish the bottle. Bud Light itself has a better finish. Although it does have a soft, respectable aroma, the carbonation makes the "mouthfeel" a joke, and at the end it's pure Natural Light. Maybe it has its place at a summer fraternity bash, too.

zms101, Oct 16, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Actually doesn't look half bad. Pours a hazy golden color with lots of carbonation bubbles. The large fizzy head dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell: Smells wheaty with slight hints of spices and citrus fruits.

Taste: A little flat on taste. This is definitely a light beer. However, it does have some semblance of wheatiness. A very faint taste of citrus fruit comes out as well.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery, and WAY too over-carbonated.

Drinkability: Better than I expected, but still nothing great. Props to AB for trying but this is still a miss. Maybe if they made just a "Golden Wheat" and not a "Bud Light Golden Wheat," it would come out better.

wahhmaster, Oct 16, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +53.6%

bought for 5.99 cant go wrong new here we go
poured into standard pint glass
A: pours copper orange hazy hugh with a fasti dissipating large bubbly head
S: lots or corriander and orange come through maybe little bit of wheat malt but not much not bad smell though
T: not bad stats off little bit of orange than strong corriander taste and finishes like budlight with a lingering wheaty taste not bad for A.B. though
M: besides the taste the mouthfeel is the same as regular budlight very watery and carbinated
D: this is good for the macro and unique cause i can pound alot of these and not get full and thats why im going to get these instead of regular budlight

hockeyhead, Oct 15, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

Ah, so the big boys want to try again in regards to craft? Should be something to laugh at.

Pours a light-amber golden hue with a one-finger head into my fluted glass. Carbonation appears mild.

Aroma is full of a light hint of coriander and wheat upfront. Not a bad way to start. There's also a hint of adjunct as well but not as pervasive as I thought it would be.

Taste starts out with a hint of clove, coriander and wheat but it gets kind of odd in the middle with that adjunct-y Bud Light feel to it. It doesn't overpower though but it's mildly sweet.

Mouthfeel is another story. It wants to be Bud Light but the wheat is just barely enough to stop it from being Bud Light. It offers a bit more flavor but not by much.

Not horrible but I feel it's too light-bodied and there are better examples out there with coriander and wheat. Hopefully, someone who tries this will be interested in other wheat beers.

Brad007, Oct 15, 2009
3.28/5  rDev +22.8%

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a one finger off-white head that dissipated after a couple of minutes. When I initially poured it I was a bit set back, thinking "is this really a Budweiser product?" Looks pretty decent.

S - Smells of nectarine more than orange to me. Wheat aromas as well. Not very aromatic.

T - Not bad for a Budweiser product really. Tastes like a watered down Blue Moon with less wheat flavor. Wheat and citrus, it initially tastes very good. I can definitely taste the coriander here as well. Has a very Bud Light aftertaste however, which isn't that great.

M - Watery, but the appropriate amount of carbonation. Not overcarbonated like Bud Light.

D - Pretty good session beer. Very light and crisp, would make a good summer brew.

My dad likes this and he isn't into the whole craft beer thing like I am. He is a big fan of Blue Moon. Maybe slowly with more offerings like this from the bigger companies he will begin liking more micro styles.

BeerPhan86, Oct 15, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +11.6%

I was curious when I saw commercials for this beer and while grocery shopping today I picked up a 6 pack. I didn't really have any expectations so I was sort of surprised. It's not great but it is decent for an AB product and it's nice to see a macro branch out and get their masses to follow something new. It poured a cloudy orange with about an inch of white foam that faded quickly. The nose was a citrusy one, not overwhelming but definitely there. The taste was the same, a citus hint but with a bud light after taste. Like I said, it's not great but it'll get the job done, could definitely see pounding quite a few of these.

brewshakes, Oct 14, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Found this in the singles section at HEB and figured, why the hell not?

A - Pours a cloudy golden copper with a modest off-white head that dissipates slowly into a thin layer of foam, leaving a small amount of lacing.

S - Lots of orange and coriander. Plenty of earthy wheat aromas in there as well. And are those hop notes (citrus) I'm smelling? In a product labeled Bud Lite??? Weird, but I'm not complaining.

T - Some grainy sweetness dominates up front with subdued notes of citrus and spice coming through in the finish. Overall, it's a bit of a lackluster in the flavor department.

M - Definitely on the light side. Finishes dry and clean.

D - This beer is exactly what A-B was going for, a light wheat beer. That said, it wasn't as disappointing as I thought it would be. The flavors are subtle, but they're there. There are better wheats out there for your money, but this one certainly isn't bad. This would be a great beer to drink on a hot summer day, which makes me wonder why they waited until Fall to release it.

pwsoldier, Oct 13, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +9.7%

well, dont judge a book buy its cover is something i try to have with beers, but this was a challenge, to hear bud light and wheat together is an oddity. its appearance is actually pretty good, has a nice orange cloudiness to it with a decently sized head, aroma is also pretty good, has a nice citrus aroma to it. taste though is not as impressive as the look and smell, it is better than budlight, but its not as good as 95% of other wheat beers, but compared to a standard bud light its lightyears ahead. if it gets people to try other beers than i guess AB succeeded

1fastz28, Oct 13, 2009
1.6/5  rDev -40.1%

Pours out like dirty water. Not really a single yellow color but more like a mixture of all colors that make a not so appealing looking beer. No lacing and very little suds.
Smell is not too bad. Some spice and wheat in there but it's very weak.
Taste is yuchk. Jesus, they bottle dirty water and sell it to saps who think this is cool drinking a so called "Wheat Beer".
Mouthfeel is very weak and almost non-existant.
Drinkability is almost nothing here. Terrible attempt from the Big Bud Corp.

peabody, Oct 12, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

Usually I do a thorough review of each beer I drink (appearance, smell, taste, etc.) but this beer isn't quite worthy of that honor. This is clearly Anheuser Busch's attempt at stealing some of the market share away from Blue Moon drinkers. Sadly, or in my case happily, it doesn't really come close which is pretty pathetic because Blue Moon isn't that good of a beer. It has the appearance and similar smell of a wheat beer but once you taste it the beer falls flat on its face. It is basically a tremendously watered down version of Blue Moon. The only reason this beer has the Bud Light label is because people will buy it out of curiosity due to name recognition. If it was called anything else people would not purchase it and Anheuser Busch could add to their repertoire of fantastically bad attempts of micro-brewed styled beers. With that said I would not recommend this beer to anybody.

VaTechHopHead, Oct 12, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +21%

Pours a bright orange golden color with a little haze. Full frothy heads diminished quickly, no lacing. Smell is very faint of bread and citrus with hints of pepper. Flavor is a little more assertive than scent, but still very mild blend of grains, wheat and orangy citrus. Mouthfeel is bright, clean, clear and crisp. Overall i was suprised how inoffensive this was. It did not taste great, but just had a little something extra that keep it clean and fresh. Quite possibly targeted at a Blue Moon Light craving audience.

rfgetz, Oct 11, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -19.5%

I caved in and bought a single after hearing my boss go on and on about how good this was. Not being a BMC fan I was more than hesitant. When others mentioned they liked it as well I began to think that even if it was drinkable I didn't want to like it. Is that the beginning of beer snobbery?

Anywho, I poured the 12 oz bottle into my favorite hefeweizen glass and was initially impressed by the cloudy appearance and the substantial head. It actually looked (somewhat) like a wheat beer. The excitement ended once I brought it to my nose. Faint, very faint, hints of citrus and wheat. The taste is even more blurred; definitely a BL off-shoot. Watered-down, uneven, and not competitive with similar offerings.

Maybe non-craft drinkers can appreciate this as a segue to bigger and better beers. If that's the case, more power to Bud Light. Good luck.

smanders, Oct 10, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +9.7%

found no bottled on date which i thought was odd

pours hazy golden orange with a 2 finger head that left some lacing

smell might be faint but i can pick up the wheat and citrus

taste starts of good - first hit with the wheat and citrus (which i found a little too artificial) the bad thing about this brew is the aftertaste which is all bud light

mouthfeel is good with a nice light body and not overly carbonated like too many light macros

drinkability is ok i had no problems downing a few while watching the game today but not something i will ever buy again

jsh420, Oct 10, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +40.4%

Well, not much I can say about this new Bud Light Golden Wheat just that it is a lighter knock-off of Michelob's Shock Top...
Same aroma of coriander/citrus with a slight less dense appearance...
Poured in a beer glass with one finger head that dissipated rather quickly...
Taste did not dissapoint but if you really care for the full flavor, stick with Blue Moon or Shock Top...
I see myself drinking this brew from time to time if I am on a budget... Good job Bud Light

Bajasith, Oct 10, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +30.3%

Pours a bit hazy golden with a 1/4-1/2 inch head which fades med/fast.

Smell is subtle with hints of citrus.

Taste is about as good as it gets from AB. I was pleasantly surprised to get a bit of a yeasty taste from this beer. I easily pick up the orange peel, but the coriander is a bit tougher to nail down.

Mouthfeel is quite light and well carbonated.

Giveit2medark, Oct 09, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +21%

Had a chance to pick this up as part pf mixed 6-er, so I thought WTF?

Pours an effervescent & semi-hazed bronze with a thumb of tight cream colored head. Above average head retention& average lacing, clears up pretty quickly

S: Fruittyness, grassyness, plus some rubber band scent

T: Hints of juicy fruit up front, a little bit of lemon, plus a kiss of coriander. Crackery notes mingle with the over sweet juicy fruit as this warms, plus a touch of grainyness. Finishes with too much juicy fruit seetness & a bit of coriander, lack of complementing flavors holds this one back

MF: Light bodied with low carbonation

Drinks alright, lacks the flavor to make me want to stick around, but one or 2 would cut the thirst nicely on a warm day. I've had worse in this genre

russpowell, Oct 09, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +61%

Pours out to a cloudy light amber forming a tall white head with excellent retention and nice lacing. Medium carbonation. The aroma is quite nice actually...orange and coriander, with a very light pale malt, wheat and rice background, some faint spicy hops, and an exceptional clean ferment. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean with a very light body. The taste is quite good. Orange and coriander with very mild bitterness. Exceptionally drinkable....slam-able even.

I actually really enjoyed this beer. I think it's a perfect thirst quencher, very light, tasty and clean. I don't care that it's not complex. It's not supposed to be. I could see myself drinking a pitcher of this stuff. Recommended.

Mitchster, Oct 09, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +16.1%

First off, I had NO intention of trying this. But, after stubling into one this weekend ( while drunked up), I decided to try it sober. Is this Shock Top Light???

A: WHOA! Inviting, hazy gold. Decent head, seems to last. Hmmm.

S: Not much. Well, some grainy, slightly citrusy nose.

T: Whoa! Flavor. Bud Light. Doesn't make sense. Slight clove, bananna, orange Tang. 100 X better than BL. Damned sure can't pick the Corrinder out.

M: Well, light. Crisp, has that "mass produced" feel to it. I can't explain it, but, if blindfolded, I can pick it out.

D: Not sure what ABIB is trying to do here. A light wheat beer? C'mon. If they were trying to cater to the BA crowd, they would be better off doing a fuller bodied Budweiser Golden Wheat. Hell, if they are this close, I really think they can brew a fuller body Hefe, that comes close to a SN Kellerweiss. That would be a step up. Nice job AB, close, but not quite there.

KI9A, Oct 08, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilesner glass.

A - Poured a cloudy golden color with a slight orange hue. The pour produced a thin head of white foam that quickly dissipated. Not much in the way of lacing.

S - Not too bad. It difinately has the Bud Light aroma, but you can also detect the spices (corriander and citrus).

T - Slightly sweet macro taste (after all, it is a Bud light). A decent blend of spices really enhance the flavor and drinkability. This beer reminded me of a lighter version of Sam Adams' Summer Brew.

MF&D - Light bodied with decent carbonation. I was a little suprised with this beer. I wasn't expecting much, but it was actually pretty drinkable. The low ABV makes this one a pounder.

nasty15108, Oct 07, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +54.7%

Tried this beer for the first time at a bar. Wasn't sure what to expect from another AB bud light extension.

A: Poured into a glass this beer had a nice golden color, cloudy from being unfiltered, with a healthy white foam that slowly settled to provide lacing on the glass. Impressed. It looks good.

S: Aroma of citrus (orange peel) and spice with slight wheat character.

T: Slightly sweet with a well rounded light bitterness, trace citrus tartness, clean finish that is slightly drying. It makes you want to take another sip.

M: This is definitely a light beer. Keeping that in mind I was satisfied with the body. For 118 calories there is a lot of taste.

D: I could definitely drink 6 of these in one sitting. This is a session beer, not for a sipper.

Overall I was very impressed with this offering from AB. For a mainstream product this could definitely convert some "macro" drinkers to enjoy heavier crafts. If I was in the mood to drink 10 beers in a night (which I do on occasion), this would definitely be in the line-up.

snlvry33, Oct 07, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +57.3%

This is a very good light beer. Especially for fans of wheat beers who are planning to be standing at the end of the night or are watching their caloric intake.

A - Very good. Just what it should be. Hazy copper with a 3/4" head that fades to a nice skim and leaves some lace as you go.

S - Fresh and citrus. Light and refreshing.

T - Light, but very good for what it is intended to be. A light beer with some flavor and character.

M - Smooth and pleasant. Carbonation is just right.

D - Awesome. Had six of these last night over the course of three hours while watching Favre and the Vikings pound the Packers. Got up at the end of the game and felt great. The residual yeast in the bottle also helps your body metabolize the alcohol out of your system so woke up feeling great as well.

Overall this is a very nice light beer. I will definitely have some around for the times when I want a decent beer but don't want to be too aggressive with the booze.

cgstarry, Oct 06, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle.

Appearance: Cloudy golden with active bubbles and thin head that dissipates within a few minutes. Looks like a Hefeweizen -- plenty of unfiltered yeast.

Smell: Sweet and citrusy. Overall pleasant.

Taste: I expected Bud Light with a little tweak but this tastes like a different beer. Nice sweet taste. A bit watery and uneventful but 10 times better than a regular Bud Light.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy aftertaste but goes down smooth. High carbonation -- expected with wheat beer but perhaps too high. A little sticky on the tongue.

Drinkability: High. This beer is refreshing, light, and smooth.

Budweiser markets this as a slightly tweaked Bud Light, but it is an entirely different beer.

mistascott007, Oct 06, 2009