Bud Light Golden Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 07-28-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Golden Wheat Alström Bros
Giveit2medark

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev +30.3%

Pours a bit hazy golden with a 1/4-1/2 inch head which fades med/fast.

Smell is subtle with hints of citrus.

Taste is about as good as it gets from AB. I was pleasantly surprised to get a bit of a yeasty taste from this beer. I easily pick up the orange peel, but the coriander is a bit tougher to nail down.

Mouthfeel is quite light and well carbonated.

10-09-2009 04:22:32 | More by Giveit2medark
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.23/5  rDev +21%

Had a chance to pick this up as part pf mixed 6-er, so I thought WTF?

Pours an effervescent & semi-hazed bronze with a thumb of tight cream colored head. Above average head retention& average lacing, clears up pretty quickly

S: Fruittyness, grassyness, plus some rubber band scent

T: Hints of juicy fruit up front, a little bit of lemon, plus a kiss of coriander. Crackery notes mingle with the over sweet juicy fruit as this warms, plus a touch of grainyness. Finishes with too much juicy fruit seetness & a bit of coriander, lack of complementing flavors holds this one back

MF: Light bodied with low carbonation

Drinks alright, lacks the flavor to make me want to stick around, but one or 2 would cut the thirst nicely on a warm day. I've had worse in this genre

10-09-2009 01:34:28 | More by russpowell
Mitchster

4.3/5  rDev +61%

Pours out to a cloudy light amber forming a tall white head with excellent retention and nice lacing. Medium carbonation. The aroma is quite nice actually...orange and coriander, with a very light pale malt, wheat and rice background, some faint spicy hops, and an exceptional clean ferment. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean with a very light body. The taste is quite good. Orange and coriander with very mild bitterness. Exceptionally drinkable....slam-able even.

I actually really enjoyed this beer. I think it's a perfect thirst quencher, very light, tasty and clean. I don't care that it's not complex. It's not supposed to be. I could see myself drinking a pitcher of this stuff. Recommended.

10-09-2009 00:12:47 | More by Mitchster
KI9A

3.1/5  rDev +16.1%

First off, I had NO intention of trying this. But, after stubling into one this weekend ( while drunked up), I decided to try it sober. Is this Shock Top Light???

A: WHOA! Inviting, hazy gold. Decent head, seems to last. Hmmm.

S: Not much. Well, some grainy, slightly citrusy nose.

T: Whoa! Flavor. Bud Light. Doesn't make sense. Slight clove, bananna, orange Tang. 100 X better than BL. Damned sure can't pick the Corrinder out.

M: Well, light. Crisp, has that "mass produced" feel to it. I can't explain it, but, if blindfolded, I can pick it out.

D: Not sure what ABIB is trying to do here. A light wheat beer? C'mon. If they were trying to cater to the BA crowd, they would be better off doing a fuller bodied Budweiser Golden Wheat. Hell, if they are this close, I really think they can brew a fuller body Hefe, that comes close to a SN Kellerweiss. That would be a step up. Nice job AB, close, but not quite there.

10-07-2009 23:04:08 | More by KI9A
nasty15108

3.73/5  rDev +39.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilesner glass.

A - Poured a cloudy golden color with a slight orange hue. The pour produced a thin head of white foam that quickly dissipated. Not much in the way of lacing.

S - Not too bad. It difinately has the Bud Light aroma, but you can also detect the spices (corriander and citrus).

T - Slightly sweet macro taste (after all, it is a Bud light). A decent blend of spices really enhance the flavor and drinkability. This beer reminded me of a lighter version of Sam Adams' Summer Brew.

MF&D - Light bodied with decent carbonation. I was a little suprised with this beer. I wasn't expecting much, but it was actually pretty drinkable. The low ABV makes this one a pounder.

10-07-2009 21:13:11 | More by nasty15108
snlvry33

Georgia

4.13/5  rDev +54.7%

Tried this beer for the first time at a bar. Wasn't sure what to expect from another AB bud light extension.

A: Poured into a glass this beer had a nice golden color, cloudy from being unfiltered, with a healthy white foam that slowly settled to provide lacing on the glass. Impressed. It looks good.

S: Aroma of citrus (orange peel) and spice with slight wheat character.

T: Slightly sweet with a well rounded light bitterness, trace citrus tartness, clean finish that is slightly drying. It makes you want to take another sip.

M: This is definitely a light beer. Keeping that in mind I was satisfied with the body. For 118 calories there is a lot of taste.

D: I could definitely drink 6 of these in one sitting. This is a session beer, not for a sipper.

Overall I was very impressed with this offering from AB. For a mainstream product this could definitely convert some "macro" drinkers to enjoy heavier crafts. If I was in the mood to drink 10 beers in a night (which I do on occasion), this would definitely be in the line-up.

10-07-2009 15:41:50 | More by snlvry33
cgstarry

4.2/5  rDev +57.3%

This is a very good light beer. Especially for fans of wheat beers who are planning to be standing at the end of the night or are watching their caloric intake.

A - Very good. Just what it should be. Hazy copper with a 3/4" head that fades to a nice skim and leaves some lace as you go.

S - Fresh and citrus. Light and refreshing.

T - Light, but very good for what it is intended to be. A light beer with some flavor and character.

M - Smooth and pleasant. Carbonation is just right.

D - Awesome. Had six of these last night over the course of three hours while watching Favre and the Vikings pound the Packers. Got up at the end of the game and felt great. The residual yeast in the bottle also helps your body metabolize the alcohol out of your system so woke up feeling great as well.

Overall this is a very nice light beer. I will definitely have some around for the times when I want a decent beer but don't want to be too aggressive with the booze.

10-06-2009 15:30:30 | More by cgstarry
mistascott007

3.18/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured from bottle.

Appearance: Cloudy golden with active bubbles and thin head that dissipates within a few minutes. Looks like a Hefeweizen -- plenty of unfiltered yeast.

Smell: Sweet and citrusy. Overall pleasant.

Taste: I expected Bud Light with a little tweak but this tastes like a different beer. Nice sweet taste. A bit watery and uneventful but 10 times better than a regular Bud Light.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy aftertaste but goes down smooth. High carbonation -- expected with wheat beer but perhaps too high. A little sticky on the tongue.

Drinkability: High. This beer is refreshing, light, and smooth.

Budweiser markets this as a slightly tweaked Bud Light, but it is an entirely different beer.

10-06-2009 04:35:57 | More by mistascott007
armock

3.38/5  rDev +26.6%

A - Poured a hazy orange color with a white head that quickly faded to a cover

S - Is fairly light but the wheat and citrus scents are present

T - Its really not a bad beer, they say that its a wheat beer with coriander and citrus peels. You know what thats what it tastes like.

M - This beer has a light body with medium carbonation to it

D - Being that its bud light this is a very easy beer to drink that smells and tastes good. I think this is another AB converting their flock to better beer product. Overall I think its a decent beer sure its not the best wheat beer out there but to say its any less than average would be wrong.

10-05-2009 22:11:53 | More by armock
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

2.63/5  rDev -1.5%

I received this sample free from my distributor. According to FCC guidelines I have to post this before I review.;)

Appearance- This beer poured a golden yellow with little to no head at all.

Smell- None.

Taste- Very little taste but did have hints of citrus. Tasted like Bud Light with a spritz of citrus juice.

Mouthfeel- Carbonated and thin body.

Drinkability- Not too bad but not great either. Easy to drink(so is water). I think the interesting thing here is that this is an unfiltered beer so this beer had yeast in it. Bud Light drinkers will be very confused about the "dirt" in their beer. Good try AB but...FAIL.

10-05-2009 20:57:53 | More by Beerbuddha
cokeomo

Tennessee

3.95/5  rDev +47.9%

This beer is unique to wheat beers I have tasted before. While a slight level below the average, it is better than expected from a Bud Light line. Maybe this is the benefit we have been waiting for after the sale to IBEV. NO visible lacing on the glass but a nice head. Something I wasn't expecting from a Bud Light. The smell is close to that of Blue Moon. I enjoy this beer compared to availability in a small town and pricing due to it mot being a craft or import. Maybe this beer will broaden the horizon of beer drinkers with a previously narrow mind. After all, isn't that our final goal!

10-03-2009 01:01:41 | More by cokeomo
ltjska04

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev +0.4%

I saw this at my local grocery store and thought I'd give it a shot. After all, I don't mind having a couple BL Limes when nothing else is available (unlike many others here).

Poured into my pint glass this is a hazy dark orange; it doesn't look anything like Bud Light. The head actually leaves a ring around the glass for a while. Unfortunately, the smell is very BL-like with only a hint of citrus. The taste reminds me of a watered-down Blue Moon. It's got a bit of wheat and orange with a little of the BL flavor. This one's too carbonated for me and the mouthfeel is not very pleasant. Drinkability is ok... I could drink a few of these but probably wouldn't want to. The appearance is the best part of this beer, but that's probably because it doesn't look like Bud Light. It's worth a try but I'll probably get some of my friends to finish the six pack.

10-02-2009 23:12:18 | More by ltjska04
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.13/5  rDev +17.2%

First off not a bad looking brew we've got on our hands, I have to try everything from the big boys to either keep a healthy level of hate going or appreciate the fact that every once in awhile they can make some decent beer. Pours a beautifully hazed golden orange burst of sunshine with a nice thick off whtie head arising above the rim of my conical shaped glass. Unfiltered wheat beer with decent head retention with Bud Light in the name wow. Aroma is heavy on the citrus peel and takes it pretty easy with the coriander. A nice floral grassiness with the well rounded juicy citrus peel oils flowing, as well as some soft bready yeast notes and sharp citrus sweetness. Flavor is pretty balanced but heavy on the yeast nutty/bready flavor, minimal spices a bit of coriander, with citrus peel and grassy finish. Really not bad a bit of a Blue Moon light. I'm sure this will do okay out there. I can tell there's not actually orange juice in it like Blue Moon this has always been a turn off for me. Mouthfeel is light bodied with a bit more girth due to the yeast sediment, carbonation feels like a bud light some carbonated water with some balls. Drinkability overall is decent very refreshing not something I'd care to keep going back to but I'm glad I didn't pass it by.

10-02-2009 21:29:02 | More by WVbeergeek
CheckMate

Maine

3.9/5  rDev +46.1%

12 oz brown bottle obtained at Hannaford's Supermarket in Derry, NH. pours a murky dark golden liquid with a half inch of off white head. scents of citrus, wheat and malt. tastes of malt, spice, and citrus. ample carbonation. light and refreshing, and it actually tastes like something (IMO). I am impressed.

Cheers!

10-02-2009 02:21:06 | More by CheckMate
bonbright7

3.03/5  rDev +13.5%

As this beer rolled out in our area today and got an advertising push during the Dallas Cowboys-NY Giants game on 9/20, there was some interest in seeing how the new Bud Light version was going to be. My normal beer geek persona was questioned with laughter as I brought this up to the counter and then I popped two of the chilled bottles to share. A faint plastic aroma and mild grains came to mind as we shared the new BL. The first taste resonated a little with slight coriander/orange and wheat tastes while I thought it was reasonably smooth for a BL. The after taste lingered for a long time and we finished the bottles wondering how tap selections would be.

10-02-2009 01:18:16 | More by bonbright7
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

3.65/5  rDev +36.7%

12oz bottle obtained at Hannaford in Derry. Pours a hazy golden body with a thin film of short-lived off-white head. Smells faintly of lemmon grass, grapefruit, and spice. Tastes (surprisingly) strongly of orange and lemon, with some spice to round out the flavor, and a clean finish. Light-bodied with ample carbonation. I'm actually impressed! This is much better than I was expecting and I'd take this over a regular Bud Light (BL?) any day of the week.

10-02-2009 00:53:56 | More by MrHurmateeowish
Wetpaperbag

Washington

3.55/5  rDev +33%

I saw this for sale in the store for 5 bucks a six pack, so thought I would pick it up and give it a try.

A- Looks hazy with a slight orange tint. The head is almost non existent.

S- A wheaty smell with a slight whiff of orange, but not a whole lot.

T- The taste isn't too bad. It is heavy on the wheat with a touch of orange. Other then that there isn't much else to say.

M- Good feel in the mouth, average.

D- Easy to drink for sure.

Overall I'm not sure what they are doing here. Is it Bud Light brewed with wheat and orange? Did they use ale yeast or lager yeast? So I'm not too sure what their main goal was, a light hefe? Weird.

09-30-2009 02:56:51 | More by Wetpaperbag
DijonKetchup

2.33/5  rDev -12.7%

Despite the frequent BMC bashing here, I was looking forward to trying the newest creation out of the AB labratory. I wasn't expecting to see this in the stores, but apparantly it was released in quite a few markets.

Pours a nice, light, wheaty looking hue, very similar to a (lighter) german hef, decent enough foam build and retention. Slowly dissipates, though.

Smells wheaty, a bit of the spices come through, but barely. Here would have been a nice area to "shine", if the aroma (oranges?) were a bit stronger. I was expecting - no, hoping - that it might smell a bit sweeter, inticing me to taste the AB nectar.

First sip, then it becomes apparent - you realize that there is only so much taste that can be expected from an AB 4.1% alcohol beer. It's just plain. Actually due to the high carbonation and the wheat additive (or something else to keep the yeast/protein in suspension) the mouthfeel is somewhat decent. But it just tastes normal, almost home-brewish. The bittering (coriander) actually takes away from this beer, as it persists much too long. Despite being a spiced light product, I do not find this as "drinkable" as I had hoped. Maybe it's just me.

Light citurs, the coriander, malty, earthy, but not that refreshing for some reason or another. Watered-down Shock Top?

Needless to say, I should have expected this. Much ado about nothing. Meh. Empty. Avoid this brew. I predict "flop" and by this time next year, it will no longer be found on the shelves. Sad that this will be taking up shelf space for the next 10-12 months. And as far as the October release is concerned, they should have sat on this product until next April/May, as I have no intentions of looking for a lawnmover beer in November. Someone either fell asleep in marketing, or InBev was anxious to release the next BL fruit/spice beer and just couldn't wait.

One thing is spot-on, though: This really has all the taste I would expect from a Bud Light product-line extension.

09-30-2009 02:26:00 | More by DijonKetchup
Spineypanda

3.35/5  rDev +25.5%

Bud Light Golden Wheat is not a half bad beer.

Even though the name scared me a little at first, it seems that Budweiser is attempting once again to create something "new".

The color is just about what one would expect and it is a little cloudy. The smell has hints of citrus.

This beer has an interesting combination of wheat beer (that is slightly watered down and not as prominent) and Budweiser's classic brew. The combo actually works well and I could see this being a big seller among those who do not like strong wheat beers, but still enjoy the flavor.

09-29-2009 04:13:59 | More by Spineypanda
alleykatking

Indiana

2.8/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle gotten from my AB rep.

A- Pours a hazy darker golden orange which lightens up when held to the light. Kind of a hard pour (I sneezed) results in a 3 finger murky eggshell white head that dies pretty fast. Soapy lacing on the sides which tends to stick for a second and begin to fall. Overall this is a good looking beer...kind of surprised to be honest.

S- This is where the beer might begin to go downhill. I get a distinct corny Bud Light hint coming off this beer. This is mixed in with a stronger wheat (bread dough) smell. It covers it up pretty good. Also there is a hint of citrus to this and something else I can't put my finger on...must be some other spice but it is so faint it doesn't even matter. This beer might not have the biggest of aroma it does have a slight one and it's not of an typical Bud Light product.

T- Well this is where the beer falls off big time. Upon first sip I was shocked as there was really no big wheat taste to it at all. There was a lager taste with it being super fizzy. I get hints of wheat here and there on the tail end of the beer but from the first part of the sip it is more or less just a watery version of maybe Bud but not really Bud Light. There is a slight citrus flavor in the tail end of this too. This has turned out to be a very watery and bland tasting beer. I knew there was going to be a catch somewhere!

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is too much for the beer but falls in line with the rest of their product line. Watery mouthfeel while on the palate makes it a easy drinker. Slight wheaty taste is left on the palate once the beer goes down. A light wheat aftertaste is present as well.

D- This is a very drinkable beer. While this is better than well most Bud products I have had this still falls short of their intended mark I would hope. This is a very easy sipper when going out to the bar with friends or just relaxing on a warm day. Although I know this is not aimed toward me I might have one in a bar if this is the closet thing they have to a craft beer.

09-29-2009 03:34:43 | More by alleykatking
ruckus232

3.55/5  rDev +33%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Dark orange in color with a slightly cloudiness to it and about 1 finger of foamy head

Smell: Orange smell more then any other citrus smell with a nice sweet scent as well

Taste: There is the fruitiness of the orange flavor along with some lemon/coriander but less of that. There is a grainy taste as well that I am guessing is the wheat but I am not sure. The grainy taste is something I am not used to in a Wheat beer but I suppose that is why it is classified not as a wheat but as a spiced/herbed beer.

Note: I enjoy this beer but I have to say I am a bigger fan of Bud products when it comes to macros. Even so it is a little lacking in flavor but still is surprisingly good.

09-27-2009 17:36:28 | More by ruckus232
hooliganlife

Missouri

1.85/5  rDev -30.7%

free on tap at grants farm.

pour was deep murky copper with a slight orange hue. nice fluffy white head

smell wasnt too bad, there was a bit of wheat with a touch of citrus, mainly lime.

VERY slight wheat up front with an artificial lime funk that made its artificial self known. it was overpowering in that it ruined the beer. there was not much of a wheat presence here at all, it was light and slightly bitter.

carbonation was actually pretty decent and it had a nice body.

i had two glasses, the first was just terrible. i figured maybe they had bud light light lime running through this line first and they didnt clean it. i stopped drinking that glass and went for another from the other tap. it was not as bad but there was still a fake lime flavor. i know the kewl thing with that crowd is a lemon slice in the glass so i am curious if AB (piss off inbev) added this citrus flavor to compensate for it. terrible decision.

09-27-2009 01:22:21 | More by hooliganlife
BeanBone

1.85/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance: A nicely hazy, golden-amber body with a big white head that features decent retention and lacing. Lo an behold, there's even some sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Not much wrong with the way it looks.

Aroma: A neutered wheat body with some definite notes of citrus and spice. It's a little thin, but that's hardly a surprise.

Taste: Things quickly go south in the flavor profile--there's just not much here. It's predictably crisp, with mild citrus and just a hint of mixed spice. In a bizarre fashion, wheat only really shows up in the tangy aftertaste, and what's left of the malt is extremely watered down. At times, you can't find much of a malt backbone at all--and with the low (or totally absent) hop presence, all you're left with is a little citrus.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied with sharp carbonation and a crisp, clean finish.

Drinkability: Clearly, this beer was built for rapid consumption, and it delivers on that promise.

Verdict: Golden Wheat is almost totally devoid of flavor--imagine drinking a Witbier while you have an extreme cold--which is, frankly, a better result than I had feared. Here's hoping it somehow helps push some more people into exploring the world of beer.

09-27-2009 00:42:35 | More by BeanBone
drunkboxer1

3.03/5  rDev +13.5%

Out of a pilsner glass. Bright hazy orange color. Doesn't look anything like Bud Light. Smells mainly like citrus. I guess the orange peel they added is drowning out what else is in there, besides maybe a bit of grassy smells from the coriander. Tastes well enough (nearly all spices, fairly refreshing), but the body is really light. I guess it is a light lager afterall, but still the way it presents itself I was expectly a real witbier. Still, not bad for what it is I guess.

09-26-2009 20:55:46 | More by drunkboxer1
OlRasputin989

Arkansas

3.3/5  rDev +23.6%

Thanks to Mr. T's Riverside in Cardwell, Missouri for the free sample!

A: An old gold color brew with a thin, foamy head. Pretty hazy if you pour in the sediment.

S: Orange peel, coriander, spices, and golden wheat bread.

T: Bready orange peel and spice up front with a dried orange peel, grain, and crisp hops finish

M: Light body with a decent fizz. finishes off dry and a little chalky.

Overall, I wasn't expecting much with this beer, and I don't believe many other fans of craft brews will. The main problem being that the Bud Light name is attached to it. I would be more apt to buy this beer if it was sold as Budweiser Golden Wheat. But for the beer, it wasn't too bad. Not cloying, decent flavors, and good drinkability. Would prefer this over regular Bud Light anyday.

09-26-2009 05:09:13 | More by OlRasputin989