Bud Light Golden Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 07-28-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Golden Wheat Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev +10.2%

well, dont judge a book buy its cover is something i try to have with beers, but this was a challenge, to hear bud light and wheat together is an oddity. its appearance is actually pretty good, has a nice orange cloudiness to it with a decently sized head, aroma is also pretty good, has a nice citrus aroma to it. taste though is not as impressive as the look and smell, it is better than budlight, but its not as good as 95% of other wheat beers, but compared to a standard bud light its lightyears ahead. if it gets people to try other beers than i guess AB succeeded

1.6/5  rDev -39.8%

Pours out like dirty water. Not really a single yellow color but more like a mixture of all colors that make a not so appealing looking beer. No lacing and very little suds.
Smell is not too bad. Some spice and wheat in there but it's very weak.
Taste is yuchk. Jesus, they bottle dirty water and sell it to saps who think this is cool drinking a so called "Wheat Beer".
Mouthfeel is very weak and almost non-existant.
Drinkability is almost nothing here. Terrible attempt from the Big Bud Corp.

2.3/5  rDev -13.5%

Usually I do a thorough review of each beer I drink (appearance, smell, taste, etc.) but this beer isn't quite worthy of that honor. This is clearly Anheuser Busch's attempt at stealing some of the market share away from Blue Moon drinkers. Sadly, or in my case happily, it doesn't really come close which is pretty pathetic because Blue Moon isn't that good of a beer. It has the appearance and similar smell of a wheat beer but once you taste it the beer falls flat on its face. It is basically a tremendously watered down version of Blue Moon. The only reason this beer has the Bud Light label is because people will buy it out of curiosity due to name recognition. If it was called anything else people would not purchase it and Anheuser Busch could add to their repertoire of fantastically bad attempts of micro-brewed styled beers. With that said I would not recommend this beer to anybody.

3.23/5  rDev +21.4%

Pours a bright orange golden color with a little haze. Full frothy heads diminished quickly, no lacing. Smell is very faint of bread and citrus with hints of pepper. Flavor is a little more assertive than scent, but still very mild blend of grains, wheat and orangy citrus. Mouthfeel is bright, clean, clear and crisp. Overall i was suprised how inoffensive this was. It did not taste great, but just had a little something extra that keep it clean and fresh. Quite possibly targeted at a Blue Moon Light craving audience.

2.15/5  rDev -19.2%

I caved in and bought a single after hearing my boss go on and on about how good this was. Not being a BMC fan I was more than hesitant. When others mentioned they liked it as well I began to think that even if it was drinkable I didn't want to like it. Is that the beginning of beer snobbery?

Anywho, I poured the 12 oz bottle into my favorite hefeweizen glass and was initially impressed by the cloudy appearance and the substantial head. It actually looked (somewhat) like a wheat beer. The excitement ended once I brought it to my nose. Faint, very faint, hints of citrus and wheat. The taste is even more blurred; definitely a BL off-shoot. Watered-down, uneven, and not competitive with similar offerings.

Maybe non-craft drinkers can appreciate this as a segue to bigger and better beers. If that's the case, more power to Bud Light. Good luck.

2.93/5  rDev +10.2%

found no bottled on date which i thought was odd

pours hazy golden orange with a 2 finger head that left some lacing

smell might be faint but i can pick up the wheat and citrus

taste starts of good - first hit with the wheat and citrus (which i found a little too artificial) the bad thing about this brew is the aftertaste which is all bud light

mouthfeel is good with a nice light body and not overly carbonated like too many light macros

drinkability is ok i had no problems downing a few while watching the game today but not something i will ever buy again

3.75/5  rDev +41%

Well, not much I can say about this new Bud Light Golden Wheat just that it is a lighter knock-off of Michelob's Shock Top...
Same aroma of coriander/citrus with a slight less dense appearance...
Poured in a beer glass with one finger head that dissipated rather quickly...
Taste did not dissapoint but if you really care for the full flavor, stick with Blue Moon or Shock Top...
I see myself drinking this brew from time to time if I am on a budget... Good job Bud Light

3.48/5  rDev +30.8%

Pours a bit hazy golden with a 1/4-1/2 inch head which fades med/fast.

Smell is subtle with hints of citrus.

Taste is about as good as it gets from AB. I was pleasantly surprised to get a bit of a yeasty taste from this beer. I easily pick up the orange peel, but the coriander is a bit tougher to nail down.

Mouthfeel is quite light and well carbonated.

3.23/5  rDev +21.4%

Had a chance to pick this up as part pf mixed 6-er, so I thought WTF?

Pours an effervescent & semi-hazed bronze with a thumb of tight cream colored head. Above average head retention& average lacing, clears up pretty quickly

S: Fruittyness, grassyness, plus some rubber band scent

T: Hints of juicy fruit up front, a little bit of lemon, plus a kiss of coriander. Crackery notes mingle with the over sweet juicy fruit as this warms, plus a touch of grainyness. Finishes with too much juicy fruit seetness & a bit of coriander, lack of complementing flavors holds this one back

MF: Light bodied with low carbonation

Drinks alright, lacks the flavor to make me want to stick around, but one or 2 would cut the thirst nicely on a warm day. I've had worse in this genre

4.3/5  rDev +61.7%

Pours out to a cloudy light amber forming a tall white head with excellent retention and nice lacing. Medium carbonation. The aroma is quite nice actually...orange and coriander, with a very light pale malt, wheat and rice background, some faint spicy hops, and an exceptional clean ferment. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean with a very light body. The taste is quite good. Orange and coriander with very mild bitterness. Exceptionally drinkable....slam-able even.

I actually really enjoyed this beer. I think it's a perfect thirst quencher, very light, tasty and clean. I don't care that it's not complex. It's not supposed to be. I could see myself drinking a pitcher of this stuff. Recommended.

3.1/5  rDev +16.5%

First off, I had NO intention of trying this. But, after stubling into one this weekend ( while drunked up), I decided to try it sober. Is this Shock Top Light???

A: WHOA! Inviting, hazy gold. Decent head, seems to last. Hmmm.

S: Not much. Well, some grainy, slightly citrusy nose.

T: Whoa! Flavor. Bud Light. Doesn't make sense. Slight clove, bananna, orange Tang. 100 X better than BL. Damned sure can't pick the Corrinder out.

M: Well, light. Crisp, has that "mass produced" feel to it. I can't explain it, but, if blindfolded, I can pick it out.

D: Not sure what ABIB is trying to do here. A light wheat beer? C'mon. If they were trying to cater to the BA crowd, they would be better off doing a fuller bodied Budweiser Golden Wheat. Hell, if they are this close, I really think they can brew a fuller body Hefe, that comes close to a SN Kellerweiss. That would be a step up. Nice job AB, close, but not quite there.

3.73/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilesner glass.

A - Poured a cloudy golden color with a slight orange hue. The pour produced a thin head of white foam that quickly dissipated. Not much in the way of lacing.

S - Not too bad. It difinately has the Bud Light aroma, but you can also detect the spices (corriander and citrus).

T - Slightly sweet macro taste (after all, it is a Bud light). A decent blend of spices really enhance the flavor and drinkability. This beer reminded me of a lighter version of Sam Adams' Summer Brew.

MF&D - Light bodied with decent carbonation. I was a little suprised with this beer. I wasn't expecting much, but it was actually pretty drinkable. The low ABV makes this one a pounder.

4.13/5  rDev +55.3%

Tried this beer for the first time at a bar. Wasn't sure what to expect from another AB bud light extension.

A: Poured into a glass this beer had a nice golden color, cloudy from being unfiltered, with a healthy white foam that slowly settled to provide lacing on the glass. Impressed. It looks good.

S: Aroma of citrus (orange peel) and spice with slight wheat character.

T: Slightly sweet with a well rounded light bitterness, trace citrus tartness, clean finish that is slightly drying. It makes you want to take another sip.

M: This is definitely a light beer. Keeping that in mind I was satisfied with the body. For 118 calories there is a lot of taste.

D: I could definitely drink 6 of these in one sitting. This is a session beer, not for a sipper.

Overall I was very impressed with this offering from AB. For a mainstream product this could definitely convert some "macro" drinkers to enjoy heavier crafts. If I was in the mood to drink 10 beers in a night (which I do on occasion), this would definitely be in the line-up.

4.2/5  rDev +57.9%

This is a very good light beer. Especially for fans of wheat beers who are planning to be standing at the end of the night or are watching their caloric intake.

A - Very good. Just what it should be. Hazy copper with a 3/4" head that fades to a nice skim and leaves some lace as you go.

S - Fresh and citrus. Light and refreshing.

T - Light, but very good for what it is intended to be. A light beer with some flavor and character.

M - Smooth and pleasant. Carbonation is just right.

D - Awesome. Had six of these last night over the course of three hours while watching Favre and the Vikings pound the Packers. Got up at the end of the game and felt great. The residual yeast in the bottle also helps your body metabolize the alcohol out of your system so woke up feeling great as well.

Overall this is a very nice light beer. I will definitely have some around for the times when I want a decent beer but don't want to be too aggressive with the booze.

3.18/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle.

Appearance: Cloudy golden with active bubbles and thin head that dissipates within a few minutes. Looks like a Hefeweizen -- plenty of unfiltered yeast.

Smell: Sweet and citrusy. Overall pleasant.

Taste: I expected Bud Light with a little tweak but this tastes like a different beer. Nice sweet taste. A bit watery and uneventful but 10 times better than a regular Bud Light.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy aftertaste but goes down smooth. High carbonation -- expected with wheat beer but perhaps too high. A little sticky on the tongue.

Drinkability: High. This beer is refreshing, light, and smooth.

Budweiser markets this as a slightly tweaked Bud Light, but it is an entirely different beer.

3.38/5  rDev +27.1%

A - Poured a hazy orange color with a white head that quickly faded to a cover

S - Is fairly light but the wheat and citrus scents are present

T - Its really not a bad beer, they say that its a wheat beer with coriander and citrus peels. You know what thats what it tastes like.

M - This beer has a light body with medium carbonation to it

D - Being that its bud light this is a very easy beer to drink that smells and tastes good. I think this is another AB converting their flock to better beer product. Overall I think its a decent beer sure its not the best wheat beer out there but to say its any less than average would be wrong.

2.63/5  rDev -1.1%

I received this sample free from my distributor. According to FCC guidelines I have to post this before I review.;)

Appearance- This beer poured a golden yellow with little to no head at all.

Smell- None.

Taste- Very little taste but did have hints of citrus. Tasted like Bud Light with a spritz of citrus juice.

Mouthfeel- Carbonated and thin body.

Drinkability- Not too bad but not great either. Easy to drink(so is water). I think the interesting thing here is that this is an unfiltered beer so this beer had yeast in it. Bud Light drinkers will be very confused about the "dirt" in their beer. Good try AB but...FAIL.

3.95/5  rDev +48.5%

This beer is unique to wheat beers I have tasted before. While a slight level below the average, it is better than expected from a Bud Light line. Maybe this is the benefit we have been waiting for after the sale to IBEV. NO visible lacing on the glass but a nice head. Something I wasn't expecting from a Bud Light. The smell is close to that of Blue Moon. I enjoy this beer compared to availability in a small town and pricing due to it mot being a craft or import. Maybe this beer will broaden the horizon of beer drinkers with a previously narrow mind. After all, isn't that our final goal!

2.68/5  rDev +0.8%

I saw this at my local grocery store and thought I'd give it a shot. After all, I don't mind having a couple BL Limes when nothing else is available (unlike many others here).

Poured into my pint glass this is a hazy dark orange; it doesn't look anything like Bud Light. The head actually leaves a ring around the glass for a while. Unfortunately, the smell is very BL-like with only a hint of citrus. The taste reminds me of a watered-down Blue Moon. It's got a bit of wheat and orange with a little of the BL flavor. This one's too carbonated for me and the mouthfeel is not very pleasant. Drinkability is ok... I could drink a few of these but probably wouldn't want to. The appearance is the best part of this beer, but that's probably because it doesn't look like Bud Light. It's worth a try but I'll probably get some of my friends to finish the six pack.

3.13/5  rDev +17.7%

First off not a bad looking brew we've got on our hands, I have to try everything from the big boys to either keep a healthy level of hate going or appreciate the fact that every once in awhile they can make some decent beer. Pours a beautifully hazed golden orange burst of sunshine with a nice thick off whtie head arising above the rim of my conical shaped glass. Unfiltered wheat beer with decent head retention with Bud Light in the name wow. Aroma is heavy on the citrus peel and takes it pretty easy with the coriander. A nice floral grassiness with the well rounded juicy citrus peel oils flowing, as well as some soft bready yeast notes and sharp citrus sweetness. Flavor is pretty balanced but heavy on the yeast nutty/bready flavor, minimal spices a bit of coriander, with citrus peel and grassy finish. Really not bad a bit of a Blue Moon light. I'm sure this will do okay out there. I can tell there's not actually orange juice in it like Blue Moon this has always been a turn off for me. Mouthfeel is light bodied with a bit more girth due to the yeast sediment, carbonation feels like a bud light some carbonated water with some balls. Drinkability overall is decent very refreshing not something I'd care to keep going back to but I'm glad I didn't pass it by.

3.9/5  rDev +46.6%

12 oz brown bottle obtained at Hannaford's Supermarket in Derry, NH. pours a murky dark golden liquid with a half inch of off white head. scents of citrus, wheat and malt. tastes of malt, spice, and citrus. ample carbonation. light and refreshing, and it actually tastes like something (IMO). I am impressed.

Cheers!

3.03/5  rDev +13.9%

As this beer rolled out in our area today and got an advertising push during the Dallas Cowboys-NY Giants game on 9/20, there was some interest in seeing how the new Bud Light version was going to be. My normal beer geek persona was questioned with laughter as I brought this up to the counter and then I popped two of the chilled bottles to share. A faint plastic aroma and mild grains came to mind as we shared the new BL. The first taste resonated a little with slight coriander/orange and wheat tastes while I thought it was reasonably smooth for a BL. The after taste lingered for a long time and we finished the bottles wondering how tap selections would be.

3.65/5  rDev +37.2%

12oz bottle obtained at Hannaford in Derry. Pours a hazy golden body with a thin film of short-lived off-white head. Smells faintly of lemmon grass, grapefruit, and spice. Tastes (surprisingly) strongly of orange and lemon, with some spice to round out the flavor, and a clean finish. Light-bodied with ample carbonation. I'm actually impressed! This is much better than I was expecting and I'd take this over a regular Bud Light (BL?) any day of the week.

3.55/5  rDev +33.5%

I saw this for sale in the store for 5 bucks a six pack, so thought I would pick it up and give it a try.

A- Looks hazy with a slight orange tint. The head is almost non existent.

S- A wheaty smell with a slight whiff of orange, but not a whole lot.

T- The taste isn't too bad. It is heavy on the wheat with a touch of orange. Other then that there isn't much else to say.

M- Good feel in the mouth, average.

D- Easy to drink for sure.

Overall I'm not sure what they are doing here. Is it Bud Light brewed with wheat and orange? Did they use ale yeast or lager yeast? So I'm not too sure what their main goal was, a light hefe? Weird.

2.33/5  rDev -12.4%

Despite the frequent BMC bashing here, I was looking forward to trying the newest creation out of the AB labratory. I wasn't expecting to see this in the stores, but apparantly it was released in quite a few markets.

Pours a nice, light, wheaty looking hue, very similar to a (lighter) german hef, decent enough foam build and retention. Slowly dissipates, though.

Smells wheaty, a bit of the spices come through, but barely. Here would have been a nice area to "shine", if the aroma (oranges?) were a bit stronger. I was expecting - no, hoping - that it might smell a bit sweeter, inticing me to taste the AB nectar.

First sip, then it becomes apparent - you realize that there is only so much taste that can be expected from an AB 4.1% alcohol beer. It's just plain. Actually due to the high carbonation and the wheat additive (or something else to keep the yeast/protein in suspension) the mouthfeel is somewhat decent. But it just tastes normal, almost home-brewish. The bittering (coriander) actually takes away from this beer, as it persists much too long. Despite being a spiced light product, I do not find this as "drinkable" as I had hoped. Maybe it's just me.

Light citurs, the coriander, malty, earthy, but not that refreshing for some reason or another. Watered-down Shock Top?

Needless to say, I should have expected this. Much ado about nothing. Meh. Empty. Avoid this brew. I predict "flop" and by this time next year, it will no longer be found on the shelves. Sad that this will be taking up shelf space for the next 10-12 months. And as far as the October release is concerned, they should have sat on this product until next April/May, as I have no intentions of looking for a lawnmover beer in November. Someone either fell asleep in marketing, or InBev was anxious to release the next BL fruit/spice beer and just couldn't wait.

One thing is spot-on, though: This really has all the taste I would expect from a Bud Light product-line extension.

Bud Light Golden Wheat from Anheuser-Busch