Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.
to view more.
Ratings: 513 | Reviews: 138
Reviews by deadliest:

Ok, so most beer enthusiasts are going to write this one off as a beer not even worth drinking. And yeah, it's not a great beer. But, as bottled water, it's terrific. If you're trying to lose weight, drinking a great tasting beer that has 200+ calories isn't going to get it done. So, unless you're going to give up drinking entirely, something like this beer can help. I think it has a better flavor than Miller 64 and whatever that 64 cal. beer Beck's put out.

Pairs nicely with veggie dogs.

I just threw up in my mouth thinking of this beer... I wouldn't drink this beer with your mouth

1.56/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Very light yellow beer, tons of clarity and filtering going on. White head that is fizzy and disappears into the nether realms of diet beer.

Smell is faintly recognizable as a AAL. A little bit sweet, like that kind of canned corn they seem to add sugar to (creamed corn?).

Taste? Like Mr. Tekagi: "WHAT taste?" Slightly sweet, very watery, very thin. No hopping, just comes off as seltzer water. Really feels like they thought Bud Light was too thick and strong, so they added some club soda or 7up to it.

They should ship this stuff out next time there is a hurricane or no running/safe water, this will probably hydrate you moreso than give you a buzz. Actually, this might be good for when you have to stop drinking, but you don't want a headache from your body wanting more, this might satiate it in like a methodone/heroin kind of way.

I guess the upside is also that it has no off flavors. But then again, its hard to have off flavors when you don't have "flavors".

This beer made Jon Spencer Blues Explosion "Flava" pop in my head "Who gots tha flava?" Not bud 55.

2.01/5  rDev +27.2%

Been watching my caloric intake so I saw this the other day and figured let's try it just to see how bad it is and also to see it filled a void that I had for my beer cravings. This is literally watered down Bud Select. Pours a fizzy yellow golden color with a highly carbonated quickly fleeting head, leaves sparse speckled lacing on the sides of my glass. Aroma has cooked vegetable, corn, generic beer nose, no actual hop component with a bit of metallic character going on. The first sip has a watery non discrete grainy quality with some more of the cooked corn rough husk quality, no herbal no hops just generic mass produced beer flavor. Ferments out to only 2.4% alcohol this is a glorified non alcoholic beer. Labeled as premium light beer, I'm just surprised that it's only 55 calories the only other drink other than water that I've had on a regular basis has been Gatorade G2 at 45 calories. Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation pretty rough just because of the graininess light flavors and high carbonation.

2.16/5  rDev +36.7%

One 'souvenir' of a somewhat ill-advised scorched-earth invasion of small-town Washington State...

This beer pours a clear, surprisingly medium golden colour, with one finger of rapidly dissipating soapy white head, which leaves nary a speck of lace around the glass as evidence of its existence. It smells of very diluted white grain, and nothing else. The taste is a soul-deadening experience - Casper the Ghost in beer form. No skunk, no off-flavours, just a very tame graininess, and then, zilch. Nothing offensive, nothing good. Just nothing. Like slightly malted water. The carbonation is lower than average, the body like water exposed to a potato for a hour or so, and it finishes with a mild twinge of cheap lager, to complement that Dasani water quality.

I'm actually quite surprised - the only way that this is truly offensive is in its concept - as for its execution, it is just a very, very mild lager - no skunk factor whatsoever. Just like your go-to grocery store bottled water. However, that defence falls short - this is supposed to be BEER!

1.69/5  rDev +7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a golden copper with some soapy white head that quickly fades. The nose has a strong corn presence and some apple fruitiness. The flavor is very, very faint; grainy and fruity with some apple notes. It's very sweet and has a faint metallic aftertaste. The mouthfeel is super light and highly carbonated.

Well, this is a very light beer so mission accomplished but this lacks any kind of flavor and the apple-like off notes dominate both the smell and the flavor. Pass.

3.07/5  rDev +94.3%

Appearance: Ok head retention. Almost no carbonation upon opening, although you do get a fair amount when you shake it a bit. Overall, it's ok, but not great.

Smell: Mostly a grainy beer smell. I can't really describe this as anything else. It doesn't smell bad or skunked by any means. I can dig this on a basical level.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This stuff does not taste bad. Clean corn-like cereal grain. Like the smell, the taste does not have any bad qualities. The mouthfeel, however, leaves much to be desired. Extremely watery. Not slimy though, so that keeps this from getting a bad grade in this area.

Drinkability: No offensive smell or taste. Smooth, watery finish. All of these qualities make this pretty easy to drink.

Overall: Not a world-class beer by any means. Yet I find some surprisingly pleasant qualities with this. It smells ok, tastes ok, and is very easy to drink, which I think is the point of this beer. On these grounds, I give Budweiser Select 55 a thumbs up as a decent, albeit not great, beer.

2.26/5  rDev +43%

A: straw golden.
S: malt and corn. Lager yeast
T: seltzer water with a splash of bud light.
MF: high carbonation. Light finish.
O: it's a good idea for people who like la croix but want a beer like flavor. Good for if u want a beer with dinner while on a diet. But that's it.

1.31/5  rDev -17.1%

Born 8/29/09

Gotta have more people rate this beer to make sure the results from the first two weren't coincidence. I couldn't let this beer suffer a bad reputation due to lack of tastings. Or maybe I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. This shit sells like Girl Scout Cookies in a frat house.

I actually bothered pouring this beer into a glass even though the bottle, like the beer, is perfectly transparent. Upon doing so a remarkably large head formed. Like pouring a soft drink. A soft drink resembling watery piss. It was entertaining, though, to watch the bubbles form where I was pouring. The mass amounts of carbonation formed by a simple pour were crazy. It looked like the pour was a solid mass of bubbles in the liquid. Strange. It even sounds like a soft drink. And that massive head lasts about 20 seconds then it is back to piss Coke. I gave it the extra 1/2 point for being entertaining.

Upon smelling this I have to give props to Bud for managing to make a Bud Light smell like Perrier. They weren't too effective, though, as I can detect a hop. That one lonely hop that will undoubtedly be the center of what is to come.

Dare I subject my taste buds to this? What have they done to me? Here goes. Oh, fuck that's bad. I was mostly kidding before when I compared it to Perrier with a hop, but that's ecaxtly what it tastes like. You could make this at home with 55 calories of Bud Select topped off with club soda. I'm going to man up and finish it, since it tastes mostly like nothing, but I'm not going to enjoy it.

In the mouth it feels like beer-flavored water. There is some syrupy feel in there from the "beer", but it's mostly an assault of caustic bubbles raping your tongue. I can't even taste what little taste there was to begin with anymore. And I'm about 1/4th of the way through the drink.

Even though this is the lightest malted barley beverage on the face of the earth I couldn't drink more than one. In a lifetime. At least not without monetary compensation. I must still take my hat off to Bud. Their marketing department is awesome. If they can get people to buy this they should use thair powers for good and maybe bring peace to the Middle East or get Lindsey Lohan to eat a damn sandwich. It does, however, get the extra 1/2 point because you could probably replace water with this stuff and still maintain life. Hell, it's more sanitary than most people's tap water.

2.17/5  rDev +37.3%

Budweiser Select 55 is a Light Beer brewed by Anheuser-Busch. This brew has an ABV of 2.40% Select 55 is the Lighter of Budweiser select. This brew pours out a nice light amber color with a smell white head. The smell is light with a hit of grains and malts. This is just a water down beer. No taste at all. You pick up hits of beer taste. The drinkability is ok, it is smooth and clean. This beer is like drinking Busch NA. Over all I would not buy this unless you like Light Light Beers. Not the greatest Anheuser-Busch brew I had. Overall I'm giving this brew a 2 out 5

1.66/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured a dark yellow with a soap ring of a head.

The smell was a bit funky like a bad euro lager with a touch of skunky hops.

Its tag line of the worlds lightest beer quickly holds true in the flavor, I have had glasses of water that didn't taste this watery.
No beer flavor at all.

Mouthfeel = Water

Its as drinkable as a cold glass of tap water, so I guess ok, but why bother.

1.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Got this one for free out of a buddy's fridge. Had just gotten back from the Foothills Baltic Porter release and needed to sober up some, this was my first choice. Served from bottle into a Corona Extra shaker. Poured golden yellow with a one finger white head that died a very swift death. There was no lacing evident throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt, wheat, and URINE!? The flavor was of water, grain, and malt; mostly water however. It was light on the palate with low carbonation. Overall my question is, where did the flavor go??? However, I am glad that the urine I picked up on in the aroma stayed in the aroma and didn't hit my palate. This one was nice for sobering up, but that's about it...

1.41/5  rDev -10.8%

Okay... I'd like to give this beer a chance. So I'm going into this with a completely open mind and a "1984" sort of grim optimism. With that, I poured this beer in a pint glass.

A - Okay, off to a... decent start, I suppose. It's a golden color with surprisingly good carbonation. However, there is absolutely NO head on this, so it looks more like apple juice... but hey, I like apple juice so there's a plus.

S - A very slight hint of grains... and just a wee-bit of alcohol. Virtually not there.

T - Honest to goodness... Nothing. It tastes closer to Perrier than beer.

M - Thin, watery, but at least it has good carbonation. It gives it a bit of crispness that would otherwise be absent.

D - I'll struggle through the 2 I have, but after that, I will never drink this again.

Overall/notes - I'm moving and under a lot of stress, so my cousin gave me two of these as a sort of pick-me-up. In all honesty, I'm not going to make some sarcastic remark about it. After all, this is a beer with 55 calories. How does one review that? It accomplishes what it sets out to do: have the lightest beer possible. That, however, doesn't absolve it of all of the numerous faults it has. Just not a good beer and not even worth the can it comes in.

2.35/5  rDev +48.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light golden yellow color. After a hardish pour I got a 1 1/2 finger bone white head. No lacing with this one. Tons of bubbles all over the place with this one as well.

S- Sweet malt underbody is the first thing I smelled on this. Very sweet smelling. Pick up some corn,rice, and other adjuncts in the nose as well.

T- Wow..this literally tastes like nothing! Some sweet notes throughout the beer and well everything else just tastes like water. Nothing in the taste whatsoever. Kind of crazy actually.

M- Very light mouthfeel to this. Carbonation is crazy heavy making this a super fizzy beer on the palate. Very watery in the mouth not leaving any aftertaste on the tongue or elsewhere.

D- To be honest this is a very drinkable beer because it doesn't taste like anything. And because of that it is the best out of all the BMC Flagship beers...haha.

2.9/5  rDev +83.5%

I got a great laugh from reading all the reviews of Select 55. I actually consume quite a lot of this stuff and it's really quite drinkable.

For all of you who are wondering why anyone would drink Select 55, here's the reason: it's pretty easy to drink a LOT of alcohol every damn night. Especially because I find it very difficult to grill my dinner without a beer in my hand.

I prefer IPAs and stouts with the occasional whit on warm summer evenings. I also like smokey Islay scotches and sweet bourbons depending on my mood. And, I like beer! I don't want to sit around sipping Perrier or diet soda every evening. With Select 55 I can enjoy the taste of an Arrogant Bastard or a Woodford Reserve to start off the evening and then drink four or five Select 55's without getting hammered or putting on 10 lbs a week. Five or six Lagunitas IPAs or Lagavulins every night would do some damage over time.

The taste of Select 55 is decent (i.e. non-offensive) and they go down nice and easy. It's light and pleasantly carbonated with just enough alcohol to take the edge off after a 10 hour work day. 55 is also perfect for camping or the beach when you literally could down a case of these throughout the day and not get hammered or sick. No it's not an objectively great beer, but it's perfect for what it is and therefore one of my "favorite" daily drinkers.

2.58/5  rDev +63.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a aple golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some notes of beer. Taste is also mild, a touch of malt, not much going on. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while not the worst light beer I have tried, there is nothing to seperate it from this unremarkable herd.

3.46/5  rDev +119%

I drank this beer alongside other super light beers--MGD 64 and Michelob Ultra.

Out of the three, the Ultra 55 is definitely the best. MGD 64 was the worst. Mic Ultra wasn't far behind the MGD.

I rated the appearance as 4.0. Quite frankly, it's a light, straw colored liquid. I'm not sure what this metric is supposed to gauge. It looks like a liquid. If there aren't metal shavings in a beer, I'll drink it.

I was drinking this out of a pint glass. There wasn't much of a smell, but I wasn't expecting one. It had a faint smell of grain.

For a beer with 55 calories, the taste was pretty good. Very muted.

hatersgonnahate.jpg

I'd prefer this over BL, BL Lime, and Sunset Wheat.

2.3/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From the 12 fl. oz. can marked 07MAY10-WF09. Sampled on August 8, 2010. The pour is mainly yellow with a slight golden hue and a short-lived fizzy white head. The aroma is full of rice adjuncts but also there is a thin hoppy coating as well as a very fine pine-like scent. The body is not as watered down as many light beers I have had but I would not call it medium by any stretch of the imagination. There is a weak maltiness in the mix and a clean hopped shadow but nothing pounces out. Looking at this beer in an objective fashion it is very typical of light macros but not offensive.

2.6/5  rDev +64.6%

A- Well there's not much to say here but should there be? Surprisingly the color is more golden than I was expecting, being darker than the grassy yellow straw that I thought I'd get. That's where the good stops...lots of ginger ale like carbonation rising to the top and very little head initially, which quickly disappears to literally nothing. Also, there is no lacing to speak of, but I didn't have many expectations for the look of this one....

S- Not much to speak of here either, with the standard aromas available. Dry grassy straw, some raw grain and a little skunk sum this one up. No hop bitterness to speak of....just a slight metallic dryness...

T- While there is nothing impressive about the flavor of this beer, I have to admit that for a light beer with only 55 calories that the flavor is about as good as it can get! There is some very mild malt flavors but with a little skunk mixed in. Of course the finish is nothing special other than clean and a bit adjunct-ish.

M- Thin, watery body and with lots of carbonation, but what do you expect?! There isn't much else to say about this but it is crisp and clean which I guess is what it should be!

D- This is a very easy beer to slam back! It's light flavor and heavy carbonation would be killer as a patio beer, but I think it would be more effort than it's worth, having to use the toilet often and not getting the desired buzz effect. I'll stick to a standard macro before this but if I'm having a heavy meal, this might be a compromise. A notch below Bud Select but a notch above MGD 64!

2.09/5  rDev +32.3%

Picked a bottle of this at Liquor Barn, it's one of those brews that I know I'll never buy a 6 pack of, but want to try for some stupid reason. 12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear light gold color with about a 1/4 inch white head that went away very quickly. There isn't any lacing left on the glass. Aroma is a bit of sweet malt, and not much else. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't exactly smell appealing either. The taste is pretty much just like the aroma. It tastes like a bit of sweet malt, but there aren't any offensive flavors. Mouthfeel/body is light and watery, but that's to be expected for this style of beer. It's really not hard to drink at all. I was expecting the worst when I tried this brew, but I was pleasantly surprised. I hate to admit this, but if someone gave me a bottle of this, I'd drink it (not that I'll ever buy this again). I've certainly drank worse beers. I'm not saying this is good, but for a 55 calorie light lager, it's a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

1.41/5  rDev -10.8%

hey someone had to be the 1st

born 8/10/09

pours a bright clear golden with a 2 finger head that fades fast and leaves no lacing

smells like beer but nothing but a little corn

taste - wow this is weak - it is almost just carbonated water - notes and i say notes of corn

mouthfeel - what can i say... its water carbonated water!!

drinkability - ?? i dont know how to rate this since it is easy drinking but i never want to drink it again?

i pray this beer never makes it out of the test markets - and i should be flogged for buying a sixer just to review it

Okay, I enjoy a light beer from time to time as well, but if you are looking to get your beer calories as close to water as possible, just drink water. This beer is pointless, half the calories, half the alcohol, and less than half the flavor.

Will never ever ever seek out. Was only tasted because it was a freebie.

2.2/5  rDev +39.2%

Pours clear pale gold with about one inch of bone white head, no lacing. Aroma is a hint of grain. Taste is clean crisp malt water. A tiny amount of bitterness is found from time to time. Mouthfeel was like a lower cabonated sparkling water. Some dryness in the finish. If they had a seperate style class for ultralight beer this would fare a bit better.

1.83/5  rDev +15.8%

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler Pint. Born on 08OCT09.

A - Pours a decently golden yellow color. Clear and effervescent, the white head disappears instantly. I expected it to be almost clear in color.

S - An initial burst of sulfery skunky aroma comes out. At this point I'd just stop but I'm never going to buy this beer again, so let's go. It disappears in favor of an insanely light rice aroma. Almost indistinguishable as a beer aroma-wise.

T - A bit sulfury and very watery. Almost no real beer flavor. Actually, if the skunked flavor wasn't there, there would be no flavor. haha.

M - Thin, watery, and sharply carbonated. As close to water as you'll get. In fact, have a Perrier instead.

D - Why would you ever want this? A pointless beer geared to guilt-filled individuals who lead horrible lives if their beer drinking comes to this...
At less than 4% you'd be bloated from drinking this before even feeling a slight buzz, but I suppose, as water, it's drinkable.

1.3/5  rDev -17.7%

My wife bought these as a part of her diet...here we go...

(a) Pours an extreme pale color, very see through, highly carbonated. (1/5)

(s) Corn? What the hell is that (1/5)

(t) Wow. If you have to drink this on a diet lets just let go of beer for good and treat it like a great beer fast. This is silly nasty. (1/5)

(m) The only mouthfell here is attributed to its high amount of carbonation. Nothing complex here to remember. This is what I imagine a mouth full of piss to be like. (2/5)

(d)If I could get past the taste I could probably drink Bud's supply of this brew, and I'd be sober enough to remember just how horrible each one was. (2/5)

to view more.