Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.

Rate this beer for what it is, not what you want it to be.

The clearest beer on the planet - pristine & true. I can taste the fine malted barley and fresh hops. After a long bike ride I could easily drink a keg of this stuff. Not only would it be refreshing, but it would also replenish my lost electrolytes. I want something light after working out. It's easy for brewers to hide mistakes in the sludge-like consistency of an imperial stout, but there is no room to hide anything in Bud Select 55. Luckily there are no mistakes. It's perfect. Gulpable all day long.

A:
Beautiful & golden.

S:
Smells like I'm standing over a kettle of boiling wort. Delicious.

T:
Hints of biscuit and passion fruit. Toffee.

M:
Smooth like teflon. Like drinking marshmellow flush warmed in the microwave. Slides right down my beer hole.

D:
Like I said, I could drink this by the keg. I'm going to be using Bud Select 55 instead of water on some of my longer endurance rides this spring.

4.24/5  rDev +168.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I gave this beer high rating because it does what it's supposed to do. It's not supposed to be a strong smelling, dark, tasteful beer. And that's what i want sometimes. When it's hot out and I want a cold beer to go down fast, this is the one. It's light and yes the taste is very weak. But it's kind of like wanting a cold glass of ice water on a hot day, but it's still a beer. It can't be denied, there is a reason Budweiser is the top selling beer, a lot of people do like it.

3.88/5  rDev +145.6%

A-crystal clear light gold with a snow white head that vanished fast
S-sweet grain, not sure if I smell hops, if I do it is very small
T-sweet grain taste with no hop bitterness, with the sweet grain taste that just stays with you
M-very light and high carbonation
O-What i expected is what I got. This beer is great for many that want to have a beer and be able to drink beer all night. It would be great at a party, and to drink on a summer day while I was grilling.

3.85/5  rDev +143.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Howdy from Texas, where this beer is excellent in the heat down at our ranch. I enjoy micros when traveling to Portland, IPAs in San Diego, good lagers in the east.
I rate this highly as it hits the spot when I need a few ice cold beers in the afternoon, and want to keep things in check with responsibilities on the land.
There is no need to seek the aroma, or any such nonsense. Obviously that is not the point; if you are buying this you know what you are getting, and this is a great ultra light beer.

3.56/5  rDev +125.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

This is Hi-Tech Beer !

(like the computer you are using to view this review)

I'd challenge anyone to home-brew or even take the time to brew this beer.

This beer (?)/beverage is like malt flavored bottled water with a bit of a buzz. Judged on this premise, it can be AWE-some ! I wish I could drink this from my water bottle at work ! .. or on the bus, or in public ! :-)

Disclaimer: I've been doing ANA (Atkins, low carb) so I appreciate a low carb beer.

I can easily have fun drinking 4-6 of these to come up with a decent review and not get too buzzed ! 2.6 % ABV ? Damn ! .. maybe AB has re-invented the English Mild :-p (low carb).

On Sale and in a can, I like this stuff. I buy it for about $ 14 per 18 pack, and compared to other low carb food, that's a damn good deal. Compared to bottled water it's pretty good too, plus a malt back and buzz. I'm not CRAZY; I'm not gonna pay top $ for this stuff.

It has a watery initial flavor, some mid flavor and an every so slightly malty after taste.

I serve this from a can, into a glass. I like to see this beer. I drink with pleasure and don't slam these. Do you 'slam' your premium bottled water ?

This brand is probably like "Pepsi One vs. Coke Zero" -- Miller 64 vs. AB Select 55, but I hope they keep the category.

For Buzz, 3 of these is pretty close to 1 12 oz. 8 % beers. with a way less carbs !

Maybe a designated driver could have one of these when out with a group .. Just One .. with some food ... maybe get a bit of a buzz which would soon be gone.

If Bud or any American mega beer is BEER, then so is this. (or a malty, watery beverage, brewed, and with a bit of a buzz)

An Ultimate Lawnmover Beer .. to have a couple or few before and after mowing the lawn !

3.52/5  rDev +122.8%

3.5/5  rDev +121.5%

3.5/5  rDev +121.5%

3.46/5  rDev +119%

I drank this beer alongside other super light beers--MGD 64 and Michelob Ultra.

Out of the three, the Ultra 55 is definitely the best. MGD 64 was the worst. Mic Ultra wasn't far behind the MGD.

I rated the appearance as 4.0. Quite frankly, it's a light, straw colored liquid. I'm not sure what this metric is supposed to gauge. It looks like a liquid. If there aren't metal shavings in a beer, I'll drink it.

I was drinking this out of a pint glass. There wasn't much of a smell, but I wasn't expecting one. It had a faint smell of grain.

For a beer with 55 calories, the taste was pretty good. Very muted.

hatersgonnahate.jpg

I'd prefer this over BL, BL Lime, and Sunset Wheat.

3.36/5  rDev +112.7%

Ok, let me first say when you see this beer it is obvious what you are going to get. Half the calories, half the alcohol, half the taste. This beer is perfect for those times when you are entertaining friends and want to be sociable without getting drunk. It is far better than most NA brews and better than MGD 64. I am actually impressed a bit by this beer. I drink it on a hot summer day when I don't want too get drunk.

3.25/5  rDev +105.7%

3.23/5  rDev +104.4%

Look - lighter golden color. Two fingers of head that dissipated pretty quickly. Slow carbonation.

Smell - Not too much smell, but just a tiny whiff of the typical light lager smell: watered down hoppiness.

Taste - More balanced "blandness" than most light lagers. No strong tastes otherwise.

Mouthfeel - Pretty strong on the watery part of the texture scale.

Drinkability - As far as light lagers go, this is a very drinkable beer. It definitely is lacking in complexity, but helps you maintain a buzz after sampling other more "diverse" beers.

3.15/5  rDev +99.4%

12 oz. clear bottle, retrieved from the San Diego test market for further investigation. Interesting that the brand name they are pushing is Select instead of Budweiser. No hints of the ultralight alcohol content to match the 55 calorie label.

Pours out a decent straw color with a one-inch white head. Not bad, except then the head fizzles down to nothing like a can of cola. I just poured this and the head is all but gone.

The nose is stronger than I anticipated, but the nose has to be about three millimeters away from the surface of the beer. If I hold the glass to my lips and inhale I get nothing. When I really shove my nose into this thing it is very corny with a bit of plastic. No metallic notes, which is a good thing.

Well, it looks and smells like a fairly standard beer for what it is. Let's do this. My first thought it that this beer is ultra carbonated, there are so many bubbles splashing around I can hardly focus on the beer here. It foams when I move the liquid to swallow it. That is interesting. Is it because it is so light in body that the bubbles seem so forward? The main flavor is a very mild malt sweetness, not really corny, but faintly plastic tasting. No metallic notes. Really bubbly. The overall flavor is a little off for a beer, doesn't even have that typical adjunct flavor really, but it is so light and airy it is just easy to swallow it and not care. Weird plastic finish. Despite it being so bubbly and not having particularly good flavors, it all comes together to make this thing swallowable.

So there it is. Not particularly good, but particularly easy to ignore. Bubbly as all hell. Simple to drink, but who drinks lame beer to not get a buzz at 2.4%? I don't get it much. One scenario could be if you have to show up at a party with bad beer you can drink a number of these and then drive home a-ok. Though normally, if you want something fizzy and low in calories reach for a Diet Pepsi Max or a Coke Zero, those are pretty good.

3.07/5  rDev +94.3%

Appearance: Ok head retention. Almost no carbonation upon opening, although you do get a fair amount when you shake it a bit. Overall, it's ok, but not great.

Smell: Mostly a grainy beer smell. I can't really describe this as anything else. It doesn't smell bad or skunked by any means. I can dig this on a basical level.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This stuff does not taste bad. Clean corn-like cereal grain. Like the smell, the taste does not have any bad qualities. The mouthfeel, however, leaves much to be desired. Extremely watery. Not slimy though, so that keeps this from getting a bad grade in this area.

Drinkability: No offensive smell or taste. Smooth, watery finish. All of these qualities make this pretty easy to drink.

Overall: Not a world-class beer by any means. Yet I find some surprisingly pleasant qualities with this. It smells ok, tastes ok, and is very easy to drink, which I think is the point of this beer. On these grounds, I give Budweiser Select 55 a thumbs up as a decent, albeit not great, beer.

Ok, so most beer enthusiasts are going to write this one off as a beer not even worth drinking. And yeah, it's not a great beer. But, as bottled water, it's terrific. If you're trying to lose weight, drinking a great tasting beer that has 200+ calories isn't going to get it done. So, unless you're going to give up drinking entirely, something like this beer can help. I think it has a better flavor than Miller 64 and whatever that 64 cal. beer Beck's put out.

Pairs nicely with veggie dogs.

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch