Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.
1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

A 55 calorie beer? Wonder what kind of trainwreck this will be?

Pours a dark golden color with a one-finger head into my pint glass. Looks to be highly carbonated. Dull presentation.

Aroma is full of grainy malt and nothing much else. Sweet and similar to NA beer.

Taste is grainy and watery with only a hint of adjunct and an unpleasant, slightly-metallic taste in the middle.

Carbonation is similar to that of soda or NA beer. Unpleasant lingering taste. Watery

Avoid like the plague. This is just overkill and the very reason why AB/InBev is cannibalizing itself in the name of profits. They just don't understand that it's not calories but rather carbs. Waste of money. (680 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

A: Very light, golden color seems to be almost a by-product rather than a goal...

S: Sweet and very light. Very little character.

T: Harsh. Bad. Like Bud Bight and water mixed 50/50.

M: Heavily carbonated so it's almost like drinking a soda. If a good stout is silky smooth, this is like drinking felt with sand on it.

D: I would highly recommend against it. It's all around bad. (385 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -30.4%

A: After 5 minutes time, it is hard to know if I am drinking beer or apple juice.

S: The smell reminds me of skunk, plastic, and grapes all mixed together.

T: First taste is very watery and gives way to an extremly mild adjunct beer taste. I think I can achieve this flavor by mixing 2 parts water to 1 part Bud Light.

M: The mouthfeel seems lighter than tap water.

D: I could drink this all day long which should be reason for a score of 5. However, the fact that I would not be buzzed combined with the illusion that I'm drinking dirty water lowers the drinkabilty score to 1. (582 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -30.4%

This beer pours a clear golden color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes within ten seconds into absolutely no lacing. I don't think I have ever viewed a beer with this little lacing. I mean usually there is at least a tiny ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass, but not in this beer. It really doesn't look like a beer. The aroma seems to have gone where ever the head did. That is to say it smells like water....upon closer inspection there is a little something there making it smell more like tainted water. Truly awful. It would be better if it just didn't have a smell. The taste is like carbonated water. The mouthfeel is the thinnest I have every encountered in a beer which makes sense being that this beer is only 55 calories, and a mere 2.4% ABV. I can handle the thin body, but this beers under carbonation is a huge detractor. I never thought I'd say a beer brewed by Anheuser-Busch is under carbonated, but this beer truly is. There is some carbonation to it, but not enough for a light lager. Overall, this is a really bad beer. I will never drink this again. (1,090 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -30.4%

I thought regular Bud Select was already a light enough beer but apparently not. Bud Select 55 is a very lo-cal beer that is very low in the flavor department.

This beer pours a golden color with a fingers worth of fizzy foam that disappears in under 30 seconds. Tons of little fizzy bubbles race to the top of the class, indicating that this will be a very carbonated beer. The brew has that typical Bud Light smell of husky grains, and it also has a tiny bit of skunk for good measure no thanks to the clear glass bottle. The beer almost stings the tongue because of the sharp carbonation level. The beer is unsurprisingly bland and watery. There is a slight husky grain flavor present and a little bit of bitterness in the finish, but I would compare the flavor more to seltzer water than anything. Some dryness lingers on in the finish and the beer has no alcoholic warmth.

I think Coors Light might still be a more watery beer, but while Coors just lacks flavor for the most part, Bud Select 55 is almost a chore to drink. It felt like it took me a half hour to finish the bottle. I think the unpleasant mouthfeel really hindered this beer. This is definitely not recommended, even to people who like light beers. (1,220 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -31.5%

Pale yellow with no head. No discernible smell. Tastes grainy and slightly chalky. No bitterness, but a slight sourness (not in a good way). It almost tastes rancid. There is a bit of body, surprisingly. Not much, and not enough to be good, but it isn't the worst I've had. Overall, if I want beer, I'll pass on this. If I want low cal, I'll get a Michelob Ultra, and if I want a cheap Big Brew beer to get drunk on, I'll find some Coors Light. This beer has no place in my rotation. (483 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This beer is for those who want to watch their calorie intake. While it is watered down, it is refreshing in the summer heat or after a work out. Beer-wise though there is not much I can praise it for. This beer is easy to drink (like water). Definitely not worth the money purchasing this. (290 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Just when you though Bud Light was bad they went ahead and watered it down again, ala 55. Seriously, what is the point of this. If you are health motivated and want a beer isn't this just just going to make you want real beer even more after drinking it? Wouldn't it be better just to have yourself a Sam Adams and be satisfied than to guzzled down 6 of these water beers and feel unsatisfied?

Please do not purchase this beer. It will only take up space at the grocery store and block a more deserving brand. (511 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -33.2%

2.4% really? awesome!!!

Poured into pint glass.

Pours a light layer of white head. Fades away quick. Color is a clear golden yellow.

Aroma: Grains. That is all. This smells more like water than it does beer.

Taste: See aroma. Really. This beer has no beer taste to it. Grains at a very minimal.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and crisp. High carbonation. Light bodied. Ends bland and dry.

Overally, is this a beer or some kind of water? I guess it was easy to drink, but that was because it was basically water. Would I drink it again? No. (531 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

I'm trying to figure out who these beers target. For the calorie counter who wants to get drunk, this won't get you drunk, so Fail. For someone who wants beer without the alcohol, there are better non-alcoholic beers out there, Fail. The only thing I can imagine is it's for women who don't like beer but want people to think they drink beer. And as a women I'm offended.

A: virtually no head, no lacing, bright golden yellow.

S: like a frat house, you know, when the floors covered in a mix of spilled cheap beer and the stagnant water from beer pong cups. But a little corn-ier.

T: equal parts Natty Ice and water that's been sitting in a plastic cup too long.

M: Just like carbonated water

D: great for drinking games since it's as easy to chug as water and won't get you drunk. other than that you have no reason to drink this. (839 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

the best thing i can say about it is it looks like beer in the bottle. pours light gold color white head that quickly went flat and no lace. very weak cooked corn smell. its hard to describe the taste because there was none. watery weak mouthfeel and not enough alcohol to make to worth the price. don't waste your money if your looking for beer. its not. (355 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

I don't know what to say aside from I'm glad it was free. To say it looks like a light lager would be inaccurate. It was lighter and more clear than any other beer I've seen. I can't say I smelled anything. Is that possible? As for the flavor, it honestly tastes like a 50-50 mix of Bud Light and water. Guess what? The mouthfeel was watery and thin. Drinkability is where this beer takes off. It's low calorie, has no awful bitterness that most adjunct lagers have, and it's low ABV makes it extremely sessionable. I imagine you'd have to drink a case to get a buzz which would counteract the low calorie effect. I guess you win some and you lose some. (653 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pilsener glass. "Born on" 26 April, 2012.

Appearance: Clear, light yellow with 1 finger of quickly fading foam leaving no lacing. No carbonation bubbles.

Smell: A slightly sweet, wet grainy aroma.

Taste: Dry, bland grainy taste.

Mouth Feel: Thin and watery with little carbonic bite.

Overall: This is a poor excuse for a light beer. A lot of light beers are at least somewhat refreshing but this doesn't do that. I won't be having this again. (477 characters)

1.19/5  rDev -35.3%

Had this at a New Years Eve get together. Pours a pale yellow color with a thin white head which faded immediately. Almost no aroma, some cooked rice is about it. Same for the flavor. Not much going on here either. Feels thin and watery, carbonation is ok. This was a boring beer to drink. (289 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -35.9%

my father in law brought a sixer of this on a visit. we each opened one and kinda got silent as we drank it and he kept looking at the bottle. finally i asked what was wrong and he said the beer!

yellow pale color, faint grainy smell, light grain and metalic taste. this is not good on any level. 55 calories. if i want that i will drink water. poor poor poor.

giblet (369 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -37%

As far as the macro breweries AB is my favorite. However, with that being said there is not much of a beer to rate. Very disappointed. Concinced that the recipe of this beer is as follows:

1/2 can of bud light
6 ounces of evian or any filtered water
Mix in a bottle.

L- really not impressive to look at. Very light in color, you can only hope that it drinks heavier than it looks.

S- smells skunk no matter how fresh it is.

T- tastes skunk no matter how fresh it is.

D- it would be impressive if you finish the first bottle. (533 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -37.5%

First - the obligatory BA disclaimer - this was left in the fridge and was simply taking up space more worthily occupied by some (any) other brew. I decided I might as well give it a chance. Poured a very light gold. Some vague sweetness in the aroma. Flavor - well, there's the rub - there is none, or, at least almost none. I think I could pretty well replicate this beer by taking a Bud Light, and mixing it with three parts club soda. I am at a loss to understand why anyone, even a light beer fan, would bother to drink this. It is wet. That is about it. (559 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -39.1%

Went all the way to Arizona to buy this swill.

The beer pours a light gold color with minimal head retention and no lacing. The "beer" really doesn't look that bad. On the nose, oh my God, this is flat out horrible. I get corn, rotten veggies, seltzer water and maybe some sulphur. This may well be the worst smelling beer I've ever come across. Flavors replicate the nose, except there's a hint of light american light lager. It's essentially seltzer water, but with a hint of macro swill beer flavor added in. This beer defines the expression watery, with no hint of alcohol in the flavor profile.

Calling this swill beer is a stretch, to say the least. There's sort of a "beerish" flavor to the beer, assuming your definition of beer is macro swill. Was initially planning on giving this beer a 1.5 for taste, but as I drank more and more of it (before dumping most of it down the drain), I realized that was entirely too generous. One of the worst beers ever made.... congratulations AB, you've managed to do it again.

.... and in my humble opinion, trying to cut back on calories and/or losing weight is no excuse for making or drinking a beverage this flavorless. (1,173 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -42.4%

Really to call this beer is an insult to beer. Quite honestly even given the lousy beer Budweiser produces these days, this one takes the cake. This is the most watered down beer I have ever tasted. I find myself adding things to it just to give it a taste. I would write about the taste if it had one. To give this a review on flavor would be like giving a review on the taste of water. True it only has 55 calories, and it tastes like it. I would just as soon not drink than drink this stuff. Really. (502 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -42.4%

A relative was "nice" enough to leave a bottle of this in the fridge for me. Why not? Many reasons, I find out. First, it pours without almost no color and can't hold a head or produce lacing with the hardest of pours. Smells like a tiny bit of grain and tastes the same. No off flavors, but that's not enough to keep it from getting the "awful" mark. Feel is quite light and overly carbonated. Drinks quickly, but there's absolutely no reason to take a second sip. (465 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -42.4%

Appearance - You can see through this beer as you can see through the cost-cutting of AB. The color is a crystal clear hue of honey. Some fizzy lacing that subsides in an instant. The look isn't offensive though.

Smell - The smell isn't skunky (there isn't actually enough beer in this drink to skunk in the first place...), but it isn't remotely pleasing to the nose either. The anemic aroma when you press your nose close to the glass is artificial, and of adjunct origin.

Taste - As others have pointed out, it does taste like seltzer water. Seltzer water that has been gargled in the mouth of a larva eating baboon, and spit out into the beak of a Manhattan pigeon which later pissed it out onto Fifth Avenue, to be licked off of the hot blacktop by none other than yours truly. The fact that Budweiser proclaims it to be a "Premium Light Beer" prominently on the label is comical, as this is neither premium, nor beer. As far as the "light" goes - well I wish the folks at AB would turn one on so I could potentially see the reason as to why one would spend their pay on this rubbish. Awful aftertaste to boot.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is the overwhelming factor here. It isn't particularly smooth nor harsh.

Drinkability - I really can't even imagine someone who doesn't drink beer, liking this beer. You might assume that because it's watery, it would be a good social beer, but in my opinion it doesn't even hold that value. A first time or occasional beer drinker would only turn the other cheek as soon as they realized they could be drinking alka-seltzer for less money. It really isn't drinkable or refreshing.

Do yourself a favor, and at the bar or package store, select a different brew. (1,706 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -42.4%

pours out of the clear bottle a clear light golden colour with plenty of fizziness to support a relatively thin fine head. exceeded my expectations already! a bit of lace. very light grainy, husky, musty aroma. the taste is of glorified seltzer water. thinly malted and barely hopped. ugh. feather light body and a crisply carbonated mouthfeel. double ugh. not really drinkable, unless your standing on the surface of the sun and are extremely thirsty.

overall...why? yuck. (474 characters)

1.05/5  rDev -42.9%

I found a shopping cart full of these 12oz cans at the Foremost Liquor store in Glendale Heights, IL for 50¢ a can, so I grabbed one to try it. Born on date on the bottom of the can says 8/25/11 on it, so this can is about 5 months old.

The beer poured out a crystal clear pale gold color and made a ½-finger fizzy white head that dissipated to nothing within 5 seconds - not even a trace of film on top and absolutely no lacing whatsoever.

The rest of the review can be summed up thusly: This beer has no smell, no flavor, no taste, no body, and no reason to buy it. Go get yourself a glass of ice water and you've basically got the same thing.

It is carbonated, so maybe change that to selzer water and there you have it. Nothing offensive about it other than it masquerading itself as a beer, but hey, at this price it's even cheaper than bottled water, so it's got that going for it I guess.

2.4% alcohol, so go knock yourself out with a six-pack, but if if you really want to try a decent light beer go get a Sam Adams Light. This Bud Select 55 does nothing for me. (1,076 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -44%

Serving Type - Bottle (12oz)

Appearance - Medium Yellow, light lacing no real head.

Smell - Slightly mildly beer-like, faint faint hint of hops. Although Pisswater may be a better term for it.

Taste - Virtually Non-Existant, faint hint of beer, closer to club soda.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy, like seltzer water.

Drinkability - Drinkable for people who don't like real beer, altogether awfully watery, no good in my opinion.

Overall - Just an awful beer. I'd rather have a beer belly than resort to this crap ever again. Not to mention the "Drunkability" was an F-. I drank 4 of these in a 2 hour time period, no buzz, nada. All I felt was a full belly of club soda with maybe a shot of real beer. Please, unless you are a light weight don't even waste your time on this terrible excuse for a beer. YUCK! (804 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -44%

This to me is one of the worst beers of all time. I grabbed this because it was on sale for 3 dollars (that should have screamed to me that it was terrible) and I poured it into a regular pint glass. The beer poured a boring piss yellow and the smell was just a tiny bit of something and water. The taste was not there, you get a little malt, but other than that not much at all. The mouthfeel is like highly carbonated water. I couldnt stand it so it went down the drain, as well as the other 5. Dont buy this beer, it is terrible. (532 characters)

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch