Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.
2.33/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

Hey someone had to be the 2nd

A - Pours a very light golden color. Lots of head formation, pearly white in color. Dissipating somewhat slowly. Very filtered, but with lots of apparent carbonation.

S - This beer is "scent optional" Nothing there but just the lightest hint of yeast/malt breadiness.

T - Starts off with the flavor of, well, nothing but water. Then, as if by miracle, some very light malt notes make an appearance through the midstream. No apparent hopping. Finishes with a strong flourish of...guess what....water! In the finishing notes some adjunct corny notes make a bit of an appearance.

M - Way too carbonated for anything I'd drink - thats the only way they are fooling people this beer is anything above dasani. Beer is itself just outright thin.

D - You could drink an army of these - plus more. Any BA that can't session 24 hours of these got distracted on the way to the cooler.

As much as I rag on this beer - sadly it does have a home in my beer rotation. On days where I'm watching my cals or just wanting an extreme session beer on my bike, i think 55 would get it done.

I call this beer the pacifier beer. When you want a real beer, but you just can't have it - stick this in your mouth and you'll shut up for a while. (1,255 characters)

2.35/5  rDev +27%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light golden yellow color. After a hardish pour I got a 1 1/2 finger bone white head. No lacing with this one. Tons of bubbles all over the place with this one as well.

S- Sweet malt underbody is the first thing I smelled on this. Very sweet smelling. Pick up some corn,rice, and other adjuncts in the nose as well.

T- Wow..this literally tastes like nothing! Some sweet notes throughout the beer and well everything else just tastes like water. Nothing in the taste whatsoever. Kind of crazy actually.

M- Very light mouthfeel to this. Carbonation is crazy heavy making this a super fizzy beer on the palate. Very watery in the mouth not leaving any aftertaste on the tongue or elsewhere.

D- To be honest this is a very drinkable beer because it doesn't taste like anything. And because of that it is the best out of all the BMC Flagship beers...haha. (902 characters)

2.46/5  rDev +33%

Fairly dark orange appearance; looks like cider. Good sized white head, slightly wispy, with poor retention; quickly fades to mere residue and glass lining.

Muted corn aroma with herbal, floral hop notes. Not overly malty and sweet.

Flavor is as watery and thin as the body. However, it's not without a decent bite to it. Light caramel grains, a little sweet - but again, not as bad in this respect as its kin - and a crisp hoppiness fighting to be noticed.

Thin body, lively in a seltzer water kind of way, with an oily, lingering, cloying finish. Altogether leans toward unpleasant.

Simply put, I've had worse beers, even masquerading as craft. This is overall not that terrible, and is far more drinkable than its AAL brethren - even those made by the same company. The extremely low ABV is, for some, a selling point; I would prefer more body and take the caloric hit.

Still, as with all AALs: drink it cold. Opening up is not something you want from this brew. (970 characters)

2.47/5  rDev +33.5%

Had to buy this just to say I've had it. Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass, beer is as it appears in the clear glass bottle; a very light golden yellow with lots of fizzy bubbles on the glass and comprising a large, foamy white head. The nose is virtually non-existent, what is there reminds me slightly of vomit. If AB was going for the absolute closest to water you can get and still call it a beer, they've hit the nail on the head. Goes down just like carbonated water with only a very slight whisper of Budweiser at the finish. Overall a very drinkable beer because again, how drinkable is water? Very! I'm sure this will get beat up bad just because it is an AB product, but honestly... could I get some beer with my beer??? (740 characters)

2.58/5  rDev +39.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a aple golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some notes of beer. Taste is also mild, a touch of malt, not much going on. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while not the worst light beer I have tried, there is nothing to seperate it from this unremarkable herd. (306 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

A- Well there's not much to say here but should there be? Surprisingly the color is more golden than I was expecting, being darker than the grassy yellow straw that I thought I'd get. That's where the good stops...lots of ginger ale like carbonation rising to the top and very little head initially, which quickly disappears to literally nothing. Also, there is no lacing to speak of, but I didn't have many expectations for the look of this one....

S- Not much to speak of here either, with the standard aromas available. Dry grassy straw, some raw grain and a little skunk sum this one up. No hop bitterness to speak of....just a slight metallic dryness...

T- While there is nothing impressive about the flavor of this beer, I have to admit that for a light beer with only 55 calories that the flavor is about as good as it can get! There is some very mild malt flavors but with a little skunk mixed in. Of course the finish is nothing special other than clean and a bit adjunct-ish.

M- Thin, watery body and with lots of carbonation, but what do you expect?! There isn't much else to say about this but it is crisp and clean which I guess is what it should be!

D- This is a very easy beer to slam back! It's light flavor and heavy carbonation would be killer as a patio beer, but I think it would be more effort than it's worth, having to use the toilet often and not getting the desired buzz effect. I'll stick to a standard macro before this but if I'm having a heavy meal, this might be a compromise. A notch below Bud Select but a notch above MGD 64! (1,561 characters)

2.61/5  rDev +41.1%

A: Corny color

S: nothing good, light to no aroma

T: cold with a few drops of Lemon/ Lime juice, it adds a little flavor to this tasteless watery beer.

Mothfeel: combination galore to watery

drinkability: Sure for the few calories, why not or not. (251 characters)

2.62/5  rDev +41.6%

Pours a clear, pale gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of pale malt, slight yeast, metallic, very slight citrus, and grain. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of metallic, yeast, pale malt, and grain. Overall, almost no body, definitely drinkable, but so is water? (382 characters)

2.68/5  rDev +44.9%

Appearance seems no different than any other macro with light golden body and a thin crisp dissapating head. Smell is clean that has a light aroma of grainy adjuncts. Taste of light grain that is definably watered down that ends dry. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. I'd have to say that amongst the ultra's that I've tried so far, this aint to bad. (358 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +47.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz clear bottle purchased (cheaply) at the local Hannaford's. Pours a crystal clear very light straw yellow with an initial white head that dissipates almost immediately. Smells mostly like cooked corn with hints of malt in the background. Tastes very light. Cooked corn (DMS) and slight hints at bready malt character toward the finish is all I'm getting. Extremely light-bodied with moderate carbonation. Pretty drinkable, no surprise since this basically comes off as beer-flavored carbonated water. Dull and lifeless, albeit somewhat refreshing. (551 characters)

2.79/5  rDev +50.8%

12 oz bottle courtesy of johnmichaelsen, as a gag, brought back from Arizona, where it's apparently being test marketed. Poured into a nonic, Select 55 is clear straw yellow with a small white head, creamy skim but leaving scattered lace.

Smell is grainy, a bit strong for such a light beer.

Taste is vapid and watery, like seltzer. Not grainy like the nose, or really like anything. Totally neutral, which I assume was their goal.

Mouthfeel is dry, crisp, and light.

Drinkability is, well, like seltzer. Sure I could chug this like water, but why would I want to? At only 2+ % ABV, it's not even worth the effort as an alcohol delivery device. (652 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +53%

Okay where do i begin with this one, This is one of those beers that you buy if your going to a party but need to drive home. That way you can still have a 6 pack and be under the legal limit LOL. The beer has got no taste to it really, the taste is just like any other widely produced beer.

The drinability on it is outstanding im sure i got put down a whole 24 pack easily.

The only thing I can say about this beer that is good is that its good for barbeques and partys where you don't want to get drunk but you do want something to drink. (545 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +53%

Bottle was not poured into a glass. There's no sense in that for this type of beer.

Golden yellow color, transparent head, that disappears within a minute, high carbonation

Taste: Rice, and grassy hay

Mouthfeel: Soda

Smells: Rice Soda

Overall, this is a no frills light beer. I'd have it over others of the type.

I doubt it would ever be in my fridge. (358 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +56.8%

I got a great laugh from reading all the reviews of Select 55. I actually consume quite a lot of this stuff and it's really quite drinkable.

For all of you who are wondering why anyone would drink Select 55, here's the reason: it's pretty easy to drink a LOT of alcohol every damn night. Especially because I find it very difficult to grill my dinner without a beer in my hand.

I prefer IPAs and stouts with the occasional whit on warm summer evenings. I also like smokey Islay scotches and sweet bourbons depending on my mood. And, I like beer! I don't want to sit around sipping Perrier or diet soda every evening. With Select 55 I can enjoy the taste of an Arrogant Bastard or a Woodford Reserve to start off the evening and then drink four or five Select 55's without getting hammered or putting on 10 lbs a week. Five or six Lagunitas IPAs or Lagavulins every night would do some damage over time.

The taste of Select 55 is decent (i.e. non-offensive) and they go down nice and easy. It's light and pleasantly carbonated with just enough alcohol to take the edge off after a 10 hour work day. 55 is also perfect for camping or the beach when you literally could down a case of these throughout the day and not get hammered or sick. No it's not an objectively great beer, but it's perfect for what it is and therefore one of my "favorite" daily drinkers. (1,362 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +59.5%

another entry from the lost notebook!

i saw this one in the in laws fridge and had forgotten to bring anything with me that day so i just went with it. poured it into a pint glass and a light golden amber comes through right away. again nothing really crazy here an exactly what i had expected. short lived head and lively carbonation were common place. aroma is light grain, muted and touched by very light hop notes that seem to provide something, but again so light it is really hard to detect. crisp, clean, super light and had virtually no aftertaste. not a terrible beer just a non existent one. too light and overly carbonated but i have had much worse. (661 characters)

Ok, so most beer enthusiasts are going to write this one off as a beer not even worth drinking. And yeah, it's not a great beer. But, as bottled water, it's terrific. If you're trying to lose weight, drinking a great tasting beer that has 200+ calories isn't going to get it done. So, unless you're going to give up drinking entirely, something like this beer can help. I think it has a better flavor than Miller 64 and whatever that 64 cal. beer Beck's put out.

Pairs nicely with veggie dogs. (495 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +65.9%

Appearance: Ok head retention. Almost no carbonation upon opening, although you do get a fair amount when you shake it a bit. Overall, it's ok, but not great.

Smell: Mostly a grainy beer smell. I can't really describe this as anything else. It doesn't smell bad or skunked by any means. I can dig this on a basical level.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This stuff does not taste bad. Clean corn-like cereal grain. Like the smell, the taste does not have any bad qualities. The mouthfeel, however, leaves much to be desired. Extremely watery. Not slimy though, so that keeps this from getting a bad grade in this area.

Drinkability: No offensive smell or taste. Smooth, watery finish. All of these qualities make this pretty easy to drink.

Overall: Not a world-class beer by any means. Yet I find some surprisingly pleasant qualities with this. It smells ok, tastes ok, and is very easy to drink, which I think is the point of this beer. On these grounds, I give Budweiser Select 55 a thumbs up as a decent, albeit not great, beer. (1,020 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +70.3%

12 oz. clear bottle, retrieved from the San Diego test market for further investigation. Interesting that the brand name they are pushing is Select instead of Budweiser. No hints of the ultralight alcohol content to match the 55 calorie label.

Pours out a decent straw color with a one-inch white head. Not bad, except then the head fizzles down to nothing like a can of cola. I just poured this and the head is all but gone.

The nose is stronger than I anticipated, but the nose has to be about three millimeters away from the surface of the beer. If I hold the glass to my lips and inhale I get nothing. When I really shove my nose into this thing it is very corny with a bit of plastic. No metallic notes, which is a good thing.

Well, it looks and smells like a fairly standard beer for what it is. Let's do this. My first thought it that this beer is ultra carbonated, there are so many bubbles splashing around I can hardly focus on the beer here. It foams when I move the liquid to swallow it. That is interesting. Is it because it is so light in body that the bubbles seem so forward? The main flavor is a very mild malt sweetness, not really corny, but faintly plastic tasting. No metallic notes. Really bubbly. The overall flavor is a little off for a beer, doesn't even have that typical adjunct flavor really, but it is so light and airy it is just easy to swallow it and not care. Weird plastic finish. Despite it being so bubbly and not having particularly good flavors, it all comes together to make this thing swallowable.

So there it is. Not particularly good, but particularly easy to ignore. Bubbly as all hell. Simple to drink, but who drinks lame beer to not get a buzz at 2.4%? I don't get it much. One scenario could be if you have to show up at a party with bad beer you can drink a number of these and then drive home a-ok. Though normally, if you want something fizzy and low in calories reach for a Diet Pepsi Max or a Coke Zero, those are pretty good. (1,983 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +74.6%

Look - lighter golden color. Two fingers of head that dissipated pretty quickly. Slow carbonation.

Smell - Not too much smell, but just a tiny whiff of the typical light lager smell: watered down hoppiness.

Taste - More balanced "blandness" than most light lagers. No strong tastes otherwise.

Mouthfeel - Pretty strong on the watery part of the texture scale.

Drinkability - As far as light lagers go, this is a very drinkable beer. It definitely is lacking in complexity, but helps you maintain a buzz after sampling other more "diverse" beers. (549 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +81.6%

Ok, let me first say when you see this beer it is obvious what you are going to get. Half the calories, half the alcohol, half the taste. This beer is perfect for those times when you are entertaining friends and want to be sociable without getting drunk. It is far better than most NA brews and better than MGD 64. I am actually impressed a bit by this beer. I drink it on a hot summer day when I don't want too get drunk. (423 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +87%

I drank this beer alongside other super light beers--MGD 64 and Michelob Ultra.

Out of the three, the Ultra 55 is definitely the best. MGD 64 was the worst. Mic Ultra wasn't far behind the MGD.

I rated the appearance as 4.0. Quite frankly, it's a light, straw colored liquid. I'm not sure what this metric is supposed to gauge. It looks like a liquid. If there aren't metal shavings in a beer, I'll drink it.

I was drinking this out of a pint glass. There wasn't much of a smell, but I wasn't expecting one. It had a faint smell of grain.

For a beer with 55 calories, the taste was pretty good. Very muted.

hatersgonnahate.jpg

I'd prefer this over BL, BL Lime, and Sunset Wheat. (688 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +92.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

This is Hi-Tech Beer !

(like the computer you are using to view this review)

I'd challenge anyone to home-brew or even take the time to brew this beer.

This beer (?)/beverage is like malt flavored bottled water with a bit of a buzz. Judged on this premise, it can be AWE-some ! I wish I could drink this from my water bottle at work ! .. or on the bus, or in public ! :-)

Disclaimer: I've been doing ANA (Atkins, low carb) so I appreciate a low carb beer.

I can easily have fun drinking 4-6 of these to come up with a decent review and not get too buzzed ! 2.6 % ABV ? Damn ! .. maybe AB has re-invented the English Mild :-p (low carb).

On Sale and in a can, I like this stuff. I buy it for about $ 14 per 18 pack, and compared to other low carb food, that's a damn good deal. Compared to bottled water it's pretty good too, plus a malt back and buzz. I'm not CRAZY; I'm not gonna pay top $ for this stuff.

It has a watery initial flavor, some mid flavor and an every so slightly malty after taste.

I serve this from a can, into a glass. I like to see this beer. I drink with pleasure and don't slam these. Do you 'slam' your premium bottled water ?

This brand is probably like "Pepsi One vs. Coke Zero" -- Miller 64 vs. AB Select 55, but I hope they keep the category.

For Buzz, 3 of these is pretty close to 1 12 oz. 8 % beers. with a way less carbs !

Maybe a designated driver could have one of these when out with a group .. Just One .. with some food ... maybe get a bit of a buzz which would soon be gone.

If Bud or any American mega beer is BEER, then so is this. (or a malty, watery beverage, brewed, and with a bit of a buzz)

An Ultimate Lawnmover Beer .. to have a couple or few before and after mowing the lawn ! (1,737 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +108.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Howdy from Texas, where this beer is excellent in the heat down at our ranch. I enjoy micros when traveling to Portland, IPAs in San Diego, good lagers in the east.
I rate this highly as it hits the spot when I need a few ice cold beers in the afternoon, and want to keep things in check with responsibilities on the land.
There is no need to seek the aroma, or any such nonsense. Obviously that is not the point; if you are buying this you know what you are getting, and this is a great ultra light beer. (506 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +109.7%

A-crystal clear light gold with a snow white head that vanished fast
S-sweet grain, not sure if I smell hops, if I do it is very small
T-sweet grain taste with no hop bitterness, with the sweet grain taste that just stays with you
M-very light and high carbonation
O-What i expected is what I got. This beer is great for many that want to have a beer and be able to drink beer all night. It would be great at a party, and to drink on a summer day while I was grilling. (468 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +129.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I gave this beer high rating because it does what it's supposed to do. It's not supposed to be a strong smelling, dark, tasteful beer. And that's what i want sometimes. When it's hot out and I want a cold beer to go down fast, this is the one. It's light and yes the taste is very weak. But it's kind of like wanting a cold glass of ice water on a hot day, but it's still a beer. It can't be denied, there is a reason Budweiser is the top selling beer, a lot of people do like it. (480 characters)

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch