Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.
Ratings: 526 | Reviews: 143
1.68/5  rDev +6.3%

Water, that's all it is

1.51/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Pale yellow. Fizzy carbonation. Almost no smell. No tase at all. None. Tastes wet with some bubbles. This beer is completely pointless. I'm not one of those snobs who thinks there is no place for a mass produced yellow beer. Sometimes you want a simple cheap lager that you can down all day. But even I can't defend this. If they got it down to 55 calories, what is it made of? It's not even that drinkable because it is so boring. It's like drinking a case of bottled water. You probably could, but why? If this is what you have to drink in order to drink beer, you don't like beer.

2.3/5  rDev +45.6%

My distributor tossed me one of these to try. No matter the style of I beer I like to try everything I sell to talk to my customers about it.

Appearance: Pours a light pale almost clear yellow body, a little head that quickly dissipates. Surprisingly a little lacing does stick. High carbonation.

Smell: Grain. Maybe corn? I'm not too familiar with the smell. Not a lot going on here.

Taste: Taste is about the same as the smell except for a weird aftertaste. I can't exactly figure out what it is, maybe I don't want to.

Drinkability: This goes down like water, as it should. The drinkability is extremely high even though its not tasty, it goes down easy and the low ABV helps.

1.73/5  rDev +9.5%

This is not a beer I would spend money on, but I was over at my in-laws and was offered one, so I gave it a try.

A - The beer was amber in color with a large light head that dissipated after a minute in the glass. No lacing during the remainder of the drink.

S - Not much going, maybe rice or corn.

T - I recently watched King Corn and in the documentary the producers bemoaned the fact that almost all the corn produced in the US is inedible and bland. The corn is only useful after being manipulated in some way. The taste of the beer reminded me of the corn, tasteless, bland. Why not just drink water?

M - Carbonation was light and decent.

D - You would probably have to drink 3 or 4 fairly quickly to feel the effects. Not worth it to me, but maybe for some.

1.4/5  rDev -11.4%

appearance is a very very pale yellow with pretty much no head

not much happening for smell no hops no malts coming thru really nothing at all

taste is so light that you cant even tell there is alcohol in it there is not real hint of hops or malt flavor just some carbonation, it might as well be odouls

it has a clean mouthfeel but that is due to the lack of really anything in it

it has good drinkable but taste is so light that if your looking for some sort of beer flavor but if you want a light beer this is not for you get a real light beer this is not a good beer and should be avoided

1.2/5  rDev -24.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pilsener glass. "Born on" 26 April, 2012.

Appearance: Clear, light yellow with 1 finger of quickly fading foam leaving no lacing. No carbonation bubbles.

Smell: A slightly sweet, wet grainy aroma.

Taste: Dry, bland grainy taste.

Mouth Feel: Thin and watery with little carbonic bite.

Overall: This is a poor excuse for a light beer. A lot of light beers are at least somewhat refreshing but this doesn't do that. I won't be having this again.

Piss water How is this on the market

1.06/5  rDev -32.9%

One of these lightest & worst beers I have ever tasted.

2.26/5  rDev +43%

A: straw golden.
S: malt and corn. Lager yeast
T: seltzer water with a splash of bud light.
MF: high carbonation. Light finish.
O: it's a good idea for people who like la croix but want a beer like flavor. Good for if u want a beer with dinner while on a diet. But that's it.

1.44/5  rDev -8.9%

Thank God I didn't pay for it, the Bud girls were at the bar giving out free samples, actually very few people would partake, only did because I felt sorry for them...a mistake.

Poured a clear nearly colorless into a pint glass. A thin white head that disappeared instantly, more like a soda water head than a beer head. Smelled like a soda water also, hell tasted like soda water too! No flavor, no texture, no reason to drink it!

This beer is extremely pale and if you have a powerful imagination, you may notice a head.

There is little to no hops or malt aroma to this beer.

One taste of this beer will tell understand that Budweiser needed to take out anytihng that might add calories to get down to 55 calories which obviously included taste.

This beer has the same mouth feel as soda water with yellow food coloring.

You can drink (just barely) this beer which is its only positive.

If you like paying excessively high prices for bottled water, this beer is for you.

1.58/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, pale golden color. Has a small, thin, fizzy head that dissipates quickly down to nothing.

Smell: Has a very light, practically nonexistent, grainy smell. Really nothing here.

Taste: Very lightly bitter up front. Finishes grainy and slightly sweet with an unpleasant metallic aftertaste. This barely even tastes like beer, more like fizzy, grainy water.

Mouthfeel: The only thing separating this beer from water is that it's slightly carbonated. However, I get that they're trying to make this beer go down like water, so I won't hold it against them too much.

Overall: If you don't think of this as beer, it's a refreshing, mildly alcoholic, low calorie refreshment. If you do think of it as beer, it's a bland, tasteless excuse for a beer. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

1.5/5  rDev -5.1%

It pretty much tastes like water but I suppose that is what you get with a 55 calorie beer. It is a good bargain for people that like the taste of beer.

OK so my updated review:

I hate to even admit I have tried this beer, but I have. This should not even be classified as a beer and more as a liquid used to torture our enemies. There is nothing about this beer that could be classified as good except after you drink one you only sacrificed your soul and 55 calories to try it.

Here is why I said the above. This beer has an awful taste that only get worse when it gets warmer. There is no flavor to discuss. I understand this is seems like I am "slamming" this beer. I really am not! There isn't anything to write about with this beer. The mouth feel is almost chalky leaving your mouth dry. The flavor is a a generic American style bud, but with less taste. I would recommend you try another beer if you are looking for a lot cal beer.

2.39/5  rDev +51.3%

Looks great, but not a lot of taste but very drinkable and pretty much everyone will drink it.

1.3/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Very light, golden color seems to be almost a by-product rather than a goal...

S: Sweet and very light. Very little character.

T: Harsh. Bad. Like Bud Bight and water mixed 50/50.

M: Heavily carbonated so it's almost like drinking a soda. If a good stout is silky smooth, this is like drinking felt with sand on it.

D: I would highly recommend against it. It's all around bad.

1.3/5  rDev -17.7%

My wife bought these as a part of her diet...here we go...

(a) Pours an extreme pale color, very see through, highly carbonated. (1/5)

(s) Corn? What the hell is that (1/5)

(t) Wow. If you have to drink this on a diet lets just let go of beer for good and treat it like a great beer fast. This is silly nasty. (1/5)

(m) The only mouthfell here is attributed to its high amount of carbonation. Nothing complex here to remember. This is what I imagine a mouth full of piss to be like. (2/5)

(d)If I could get past the taste I could probably drink Bud's supply of this brew, and I'd be sober enough to remember just how horrible each one was. (2/5)

This beer is one of the worst beers on planet earth and I am embarrassed for the makers. It is like drinking heartburn and having no ware to go to throw up. An abundant disaster by the makers of Budweiser. Would rather drink Wisconsin Club than this tragedy on a bad day.

1.66/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Ordered this at the Baseball game right! thinking anything will taste good. In the thin plastic cup it's appearance was cloudy.

S- Tiny whiff of alcohol and co2

T- tasted useless...little malt zero hops.

M- i almost wanted my money back. Quite tasteless I guess for some people it's all what your use to.

D- If I drank these all day these will never quench my thirst. A useless product that doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

Serving type: Draft - 16oz for $ 7.50 -- baseball price

2.61/5  rDev +65.2%

A: Corny color

S: nothing good, light to no aroma

T: cold with a few drops of Lemon/ Lime juice, it adds a little flavor to this tasteless watery beer.

Mothfeel: combination galore to watery

drinkability: Sure for the few calories, why not or not.

This tastes like some sort of slightly alcoholic, grainy water. It is the most tasteless beer I have ever encountered. If you want to avoid carbs and calories, and also like lower alcohol levels, and also do not care AT ALL about taste, than this is your beer. If you care about taste, this is simply not on the table.

1.83/5  rDev +15.8%

A - Urine. Seriously, it looks like a glass of urine. It leaves a decent lacing on the glass but, yeah, so does urine.

S - Ever strain the water out of a can of corn? It's like a shot of that dumped into a gallon of distilled water.

T - What taste? Seriously, there's nothing. At least with tap water I taste flouride and metal. Know how the Marlboro Man welcomes you to flavor country? This beer gets you kicked the hell out into, like, Delaware. This is the Dane Cook of light beers.

M - Frothy and unpleasant, like a worn-out whore. Alka-Seltzerish.

D - If drinkability is characteristic of a beer's ease of consumption, sho' nuff. If I was struck blind, and asked someone for a glass of water, they could fool me with this. Thought I might accuse them of having peed in my glass.

2.61/5  rDev +65.2%

Not worse than Budwiser, but not better. Low cal is a plus.

1.03/5  rDev -34.8%

Serving Type - Bottle (12oz)

Appearance - Medium Yellow, light lacing no real head.

Smell - Slightly mildly beer-like, faint faint hint of hops. Although Pisswater may be a better term for it.

Taste - Virtually Non-Existant, faint hint of beer, closer to club soda.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy, like seltzer water.

Drinkability - Drinkable for people who don't like real beer, altogether awfully watery, no good in my opinion.

Overall - Just an awful beer. I'd rather have a beer belly than resort to this crap ever again. Not to mention the "Drunkability" was an F-. I drank 4 of these in a 2 hour time period, no buzz, nada. All I felt was a full belly of club soda with maybe a shot of real beer. Please, unless you are a light weight don't even waste your time on this terrible excuse for a beer. YUCK!

1.32/5  rDev -16.5%

A - The closest beer to water I've seen in my life. It makes BMC light lagers look like craft beer. Heavily, heavily, heavily carbonated.

S - Smells like water with a drop of light beer added.

T - Almost completely devoid of flavor -- I'm not exaggerating. I would think I was drinking Perrier if I was blindfolded.

M - Reminiscent of sparkling water.

O - The ads say it's the "lightest beer in the world". They aren't lying. I strongly suggest sacrificing an additional 40-60 calories and go with a BMC light lager instead.

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch