Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.
Ratings: 527 | Reviews: 144
1.44/5  rDev -8.9%

Thank God I didn't pay for it, the Bud girls were at the bar giving out free samples, actually very few people would partake, only did because I felt sorry for them...a mistake.

Poured a clear nearly colorless into a pint glass. A thin white head that disappeared instantly, more like a soda water head than a beer head. Smelled like a soda water also, hell tasted like soda water too! No flavor, no texture, no reason to drink it!

This beer is extremely pale and if you have a powerful imagination, you may notice a head.

There is little to no hops or malt aroma to this beer.

One taste of this beer will tell understand that Budweiser needed to take out anytihng that might add calories to get down to 55 calories which obviously included taste.

This beer has the same mouth feel as soda water with yellow food coloring.

You can drink (just barely) this beer which is its only positive.

If you like paying excessively high prices for bottled water, this beer is for you.

1.58/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, pale golden color. Has a small, thin, fizzy head that dissipates quickly down to nothing.

Smell: Has a very light, practically nonexistent, grainy smell. Really nothing here.

Taste: Very lightly bitter up front. Finishes grainy and slightly sweet with an unpleasant metallic aftertaste. This barely even tastes like beer, more like fizzy, grainy water.

Mouthfeel: The only thing separating this beer from water is that it's slightly carbonated. However, I get that they're trying to make this beer go down like water, so I won't hold it against them too much.

Overall: If you don't think of this as beer, it's a refreshing, mildly alcoholic, low calorie refreshment. If you do think of it as beer, it's a bland, tasteless excuse for a beer. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

1.5/5  rDev -5.1%

It pretty much tastes like water but I suppose that is what you get with a 55 calorie beer. It is a good bargain for people that like the taste of beer.

OK so my updated review:

I hate to even admit I have tried this beer, but I have. This should not even be classified as a beer and more as a liquid used to torture our enemies. There is nothing about this beer that could be classified as good except after you drink one you only sacrificed your soul and 55 calories to try it.

Here is why I said the above. This beer has an awful taste that only get worse when it gets warmer. There is no flavor to discuss. I understand this is seems like I am "slamming" this beer. I really am not! There isn't anything to write about with this beer. The mouth feel is almost chalky leaving your mouth dry. The flavor is a a generic American style bud, but with less taste. I would recommend you try another beer if you are looking for a lot cal beer.

2.39/5  rDev +51.3%

Looks great, but not a lot of taste but very drinkable and pretty much everyone will drink it.

1.3/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Very light, golden color seems to be almost a by-product rather than a goal...

S: Sweet and very light. Very little character.

T: Harsh. Bad. Like Bud Bight and water mixed 50/50.

M: Heavily carbonated so it's almost like drinking a soda. If a good stout is silky smooth, this is like drinking felt with sand on it.

D: I would highly recommend against it. It's all around bad.

1.3/5  rDev -17.7%

My wife bought these as a part of her diet...here we go...

(a) Pours an extreme pale color, very see through, highly carbonated. (1/5)

(s) Corn? What the hell is that (1/5)

(t) Wow. If you have to drink this on a diet lets just let go of beer for good and treat it like a great beer fast. This is silly nasty. (1/5)

(m) The only mouthfell here is attributed to its high amount of carbonation. Nothing complex here to remember. This is what I imagine a mouth full of piss to be like. (2/5)

(d)If I could get past the taste I could probably drink Bud's supply of this brew, and I'd be sober enough to remember just how horrible each one was. (2/5)

This beer is one of the worst beers on planet earth and I am embarrassed for the makers. It is like drinking heartburn and having no ware to go to throw up. An abundant disaster by the makers of Budweiser. Would rather drink Wisconsin Club than this tragedy on a bad day.

1.66/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Ordered this at the Baseball game right! thinking anything will taste good. In the thin plastic cup it's appearance was cloudy.

S- Tiny whiff of alcohol and co2

T- tasted useless...little malt zero hops.

M- i almost wanted my money back. Quite tasteless I guess for some people it's all what your use to.

D- If I drank these all day these will never quench my thirst. A useless product that doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

Serving type: Draft - 16oz for $ 7.50 -- baseball price

2.61/5  rDev +65.2%

A: Corny color

S: nothing good, light to no aroma

T: cold with a few drops of Lemon/ Lime juice, it adds a little flavor to this tasteless watery beer.

Mothfeel: combination galore to watery

drinkability: Sure for the few calories, why not or not.

This tastes like some sort of slightly alcoholic, grainy water. It is the most tasteless beer I have ever encountered. If you want to avoid carbs and calories, and also like lower alcohol levels, and also do not care AT ALL about taste, than this is your beer. If you care about taste, this is simply not on the table.

1.83/5  rDev +15.8%

A - Urine. Seriously, it looks like a glass of urine. It leaves a decent lacing on the glass but, yeah, so does urine.

S - Ever strain the water out of a can of corn? It's like a shot of that dumped into a gallon of distilled water.

T - What taste? Seriously, there's nothing. At least with tap water I taste flouride and metal. Know how the Marlboro Man welcomes you to flavor country? This beer gets you kicked the hell out into, like, Delaware. This is the Dane Cook of light beers.

M - Frothy and unpleasant, like a worn-out whore. Alka-Seltzerish.

D - If drinkability is characteristic of a beer's ease of consumption, sho' nuff. If I was struck blind, and asked someone for a glass of water, they could fool me with this. Thought I might accuse them of having peed in my glass.

2.61/5  rDev +65.2%

Not worse than Budwiser, but not better. Low cal is a plus.

1.03/5  rDev -34.8%

Serving Type - Bottle (12oz)

Appearance - Medium Yellow, light lacing no real head.

Smell - Slightly mildly beer-like, faint faint hint of hops. Although Pisswater may be a better term for it.

Taste - Virtually Non-Existant, faint hint of beer, closer to club soda.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy, like seltzer water.

Drinkability - Drinkable for people who don't like real beer, altogether awfully watery, no good in my opinion.

Overall - Just an awful beer. I'd rather have a beer belly than resort to this crap ever again. Not to mention the "Drunkability" was an F-. I drank 4 of these in a 2 hour time period, no buzz, nada. All I felt was a full belly of club soda with maybe a shot of real beer. Please, unless you are a light weight don't even waste your time on this terrible excuse for a beer. YUCK!

1.32/5  rDev -16.5%

A - The closest beer to water I've seen in my life. It makes BMC light lagers look like craft beer. Heavily, heavily, heavily carbonated.

S - Smells like water with a drop of light beer added.

T - Almost completely devoid of flavor -- I'm not exaggerating. I would think I was drinking Perrier if I was blindfolded.

M - Reminiscent of sparkling water.

O - The ads say it's the "lightest beer in the world". They aren't lying. I strongly suggest sacrificing an additional 40-60 calories and go with a BMC light lager instead.

1.56/5  rDev -1.3%

A: This beer looks like a typical light beer.

S: Doesn't even smell like beer.

T: Initially tastes like water and then the aftertaste kicks in which is pretty much Alkaseltzer.

M: Extra light with high carbonation.

D: I guess I could drink a case of these but again but really, why bother?

NOTES: If someone is so concerned about the calories in beer that they can't even drink a typical light beer, they probably shouldn't be drinking beer. Just drink water instead of this stuff.

Rate this beer for what it is, not what you want it to be.

The clearest beer on the planet - pristine & true. I can taste the fine malted barley and fresh hops. After a long bike ride I could easily drink a keg of this stuff. Not only would it be refreshing, but it would also replenish my lost electrolytes. I want something light after working out. It's easy for brewers to hide mistakes in the sludge-like consistency of an imperial stout, but there is no room to hide anything in Bud Select 55. Luckily there are no mistakes. It's perfect. Gulpable all day long.

A:
Beautiful & golden.

S:
Smells like I'm standing over a kettle of boiling wort. Delicious.

T:
Hints of biscuit and passion fruit. Toffee.

M:
Smooth like teflon. Like drinking marshmellow flush warmed in the microwave. Slides right down my beer hole.

D:
Like I said, I could drink this by the keg. I'm going to be using Bud Select 55 instead of water on some of my longer endurance rides this spring.

1.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

A: Poured into a pint glass from a bottle. This beer is a pale golden yellow. Not much of a head to brag about here but it does leave a slight lacing on the glass

S: Notes of malt and rice. It took a few times to really get the scent it as there isn't much to it.

T: Very little flavor if any at all. There is virtually no taste of hops and almost no bitterness to this beer.

M: It is a very light bodied lager with high carbonation that almost stings. Consistency is like water.

O: This is a perfectly marketed beer. It is low in calories and alcohol content. It won't offend anyone's taste buds because there isn't any taste to be offended by. It is a beer to enjoy on a hot summer day by those who are watching calories. My suggestion... drink water instead.

Ok, so most beer enthusiasts are going to write this one off as a beer not even worth drinking. And yeah, it's not a great beer. But, as bottled water, it's terrific. If you're trying to lose weight, drinking a great tasting beer that has 200+ calories isn't going to get it done. So, unless you're going to give up drinking entirely, something like this beer can help. I think it has a better flavor than Miller 64 and whatever that 64 cal. beer Beck's put out.

Pairs nicely with veggie dogs.

1.02/5  rDev -35.4%

Water your plants with this. That's about it.

3.46/5  rDev +119%

I drank this beer alongside other super light beers--MGD 64 and Michelob Ultra.

Out of the three, the Ultra 55 is definitely the best. MGD 64 was the worst. Mic Ultra wasn't far behind the MGD.

I rated the appearance as 4.0. Quite frankly, it's a light, straw colored liquid. I'm not sure what this metric is supposed to gauge. It looks like a liquid. If there aren't metal shavings in a beer, I'll drink it.

I was drinking this out of a pint glass. There wasn't much of a smell, but I wasn't expecting one. It had a faint smell of grain.

For a beer with 55 calories, the taste was pretty good. Very muted.

hatersgonnahate.jpg

I'd prefer this over BL, BL Lime, and Sunset Wheat.

1.06/5  rDev -32.9%

Really to call this beer is an insult to beer. Quite honestly even given the lousy beer Budweiser produces these days, this one takes the cake. This is the most watered down beer I have ever tasted. I find myself adding things to it just to give it a taste. I would write about the taste if it had one. To give this a review on flavor would be like giving a review on the taste of water. True it only has 55 calories, and it tastes like it. I would just as soon not drink than drink this stuff. Really.

3.56/5  rDev +125.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

This is Hi-Tech Beer !

(like the computer you are using to view this review)

I'd challenge anyone to home-brew or even take the time to brew this beer.

This beer (?)/beverage is like malt flavored bottled water with a bit of a buzz. Judged on this premise, it can be AWE-some ! I wish I could drink this from my water bottle at work ! .. or on the bus, or in public ! :-)

Disclaimer: I've been doing ANA (Atkins, low carb) so I appreciate a low carb beer.

I can easily have fun drinking 4-6 of these to come up with a decent review and not get too buzzed ! 2.6 % ABV ? Damn ! .. maybe AB has re-invented the English Mild :-p (low carb).

On Sale and in a can, I like this stuff. I buy it for about $ 14 per 18 pack, and compared to other low carb food, that's a damn good deal. Compared to bottled water it's pretty good too, plus a malt back and buzz. I'm not CRAZY; I'm not gonna pay top $ for this stuff.

It has a watery initial flavor, some mid flavor and an every so slightly malty after taste.

I serve this from a can, into a glass. I like to see this beer. I drink with pleasure and don't slam these. Do you 'slam' your premium bottled water ?

This brand is probably like "Pepsi One vs. Coke Zero" -- Miller 64 vs. AB Select 55, but I hope they keep the category.

For Buzz, 3 of these is pretty close to 1 12 oz. 8 % beers. with a way less carbs !

Maybe a designated driver could have one of these when out with a group .. Just One .. with some food ... maybe get a bit of a buzz which would soon be gone.

If Bud or any American mega beer is BEER, then so is this. (or a malty, watery beverage, brewed, and with a bit of a buzz)

An Ultimate Lawnmover Beer .. to have a couple or few before and after mowing the lawn !

1.16/5  rDev -26.6%

As far as the macro breweries AB is my favorite. However, with that being said there is not much of a beer to rate. Very disappointed. Concinced that the recipe of this beer is as follows:

1/2 can of bud light
6 ounces of evian or any filtered water
Mix in a bottle.

L- really not impressive to look at. Very light in color, you can only hope that it drinks heavier than it looks.

S- smells skunk no matter how fresh it is.

T- tastes skunk no matter how fresh it is.

D- it would be impressive if you finish the first bottle.

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch