Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.
1.56/5  rDev -9.8%

A: This beer looks like a typical light beer.

S: Doesn't even smell like beer.

T: Initially tastes like water and then the aftertaste kicks in which is pretty much Alkaseltzer.

M: Extra light with high carbonation.

D: I guess I could drink a case of these but again but really, why bother?

NOTES: If someone is so concerned about the calories in beer that they can't even drink a typical light beer, they probably shouldn't be drinking beer. Just drink water instead of this stuff.

1.83/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Urine. Seriously, it looks like a glass of urine. It leaves a decent lacing on the glass but, yeah, so does urine.

S - Ever strain the water out of a can of corn? It's like a shot of that dumped into a gallon of distilled water.

T - What taste? Seriously, there's nothing. At least with tap water I taste flouride and metal. Know how the Marlboro Man welcomes you to flavor country? This beer gets you kicked the hell out into, like, Delaware. This is the Dane Cook of light beers.

M - Frothy and unpleasant, like a worn-out whore. Alka-Seltzerish.

D - If drinkability is characteristic of a beer's ease of consumption, sho' nuff. If I was struck blind, and asked someone for a glass of water, they could fool me with this. Thought I might accuse them of having peed in my glass.

1.57/5  rDev -9.2%

The only thing remotely resembling beer is the pour, faint straw yellow with no head or lace. No aroma or taste either, this is just a glass of water with a dollop of grain and rice tossed in for beer effect. Thankfully, I was given one and did not lay down any hard earned money on it.

With this, I wrap up my reviewing days.

2.62/5  rDev +51.4%

Pours a clear, pale gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of pale malt, slight yeast, metallic, very slight citrus, and grain. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of metallic, yeast, pale malt, and grain. Overall, almost no body, definitely drinkable, but so is water?

1.3/5  rDev -24.9%

My wife bought these as a part of her diet...here we go...

(a) Pours an extreme pale color, very see through, highly carbonated. (1/5)

(s) Corn? What the hell is that (1/5)

(t) Wow. If you have to drink this on a diet lets just let go of beer for good and treat it like a great beer fast. This is silly nasty. (1/5)

(m) The only mouthfell here is attributed to its high amount of carbonation. Nothing complex here to remember. This is what I imagine a mouth full of piss to be like. (2/5)

(d)If I could get past the taste I could probably drink Bud's supply of this brew, and I'd be sober enough to remember just how horrible each one was. (2/5)

1.3/5  rDev -24.9%

A 55 calorie beer? Wonder what kind of trainwreck this will be?

Pours a dark golden color with a one-finger head into my pint glass. Looks to be highly carbonated. Dull presentation.

Aroma is full of grainy malt and nothing much else. Sweet and similar to NA beer.

Taste is grainy and watery with only a hint of adjunct and an unpleasant, slightly-metallic taste in the middle.

Carbonation is similar to that of soda or NA beer. Unpleasant lingering taste. Watery

Avoid like the plague. This is just overkill and the very reason why AB/InBev is cannibalizing itself in the name of profits. They just don't understand that it's not calories but rather carbs. Waste of money.

2.29/5  rDev +32.4%

I CAN see giving A-BInBev another shot today since with the blowing snow, I CANnot leave the house at this point. Feel free to come along on the CANQuest.

The two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head were reminiscent of the blowing, drifting snow out my back window. The head held up so poorly that I wished that the snow could take its cue from the beer. CAN nothing cheer me up today? The color was a pretty deep-gold with NE-quality clarity, like a ray of sunshine on this snow-white afternoon. That was nice. Nose had a faint lager-sweetness, but only faint. Mouthfeel was thin and watery with only a light sweet taste on the tongue. Finish was equally watery and did not leave me with much of any taste, pleasant or not. It was really a bland beer, overall, and while not worthy of outright avoidance, I would not seek it out unless you are on a CANQuest.

Rate this beer for what it is, not what you want it to be.

The clearest beer on the planet - pristine & true. I can taste the fine malted barley and fresh hops. After a long bike ride I could easily drink a keg of this stuff. Not only would it be refreshing, but it would also replenish my lost electrolytes. I want something light after working out. It's easy for brewers to hide mistakes in the sludge-like consistency of an imperial stout, but there is no room to hide anything in Bud Select 55. Luckily there are no mistakes. It's perfect. Gulpable all day long.

Beautiful & golden.

Smells like I'm standing over a kettle of boiling wort. Delicious.

Hints of biscuit and passion fruit. Toffee.

Smooth like teflon. Like drinking marshmellow flush warmed in the microwave. Slides right down my beer hole.

Like I said, I could drink this by the keg. I'm going to be using Bud Select 55 instead of water on some of my longer endurance rides this spring.

2.3/5  rDev +32.9%

My distributor tossed me one of these to try. No matter the style of I beer I like to try everything I sell to talk to my customers about it.

Appearance: Pours a light pale almost clear yellow body, a little head that quickly dissipates. Surprisingly a little lacing does stick. High carbonation.

Smell: Grain. Maybe corn? I'm not too familiar with the smell. Not a lot going on here.

Taste: Taste is about the same as the smell except for a weird aftertaste. I can't exactly figure out what it is, maybe I don't want to.

Drinkability: This goes down like water, as it should. The drinkability is extremely high even though its not tasty, it goes down easy and the low ABV helps.

2.23/5  rDev +28.9%

I had to laugh when I saw this in my favorite beer store as it was a new item. So, it beats Miller 64 by 9 calories? I thought I would give it a try. It looked to be okay, but it's aroma was mostly of corn and faint wheat. The taste was better than I expected, though it lacked any after effects, other than mild carbonation.

1.81/5  rDev +4.6%

Select 55 hits the glass with a fizzy, over-carbonated pour with lots of aggression and anger. Straw in color, the beer is crystal clear. The carbonation fuels a light lace of foam and there's actually a bit of lacing. The appearance is on par for most German Helles.

Faint aroma of grain.... and that's about it to the nose. A quick mention of sulfurs, apple, and corn could make the notes on aroma a bit more thorough but really, it's a stretch.

More grain in the flavor, accompanied by a harsh minerally taste that kills any of the lighter malt compounds. A light corn flavored sweetness emerges in the finish and aftertaste. Metallic and grainy.

The thin mouthfeel and over carbonation gives a harsh carbonic bite that nearly stings the tongue. The beer feels (and tastes) a lot like Alka-Seltzer.

I was hoping to find a clean beer that was void of both meaningful flavor and flaws. Looks like I was right about the meaningful flavor omition....

1.2/5  rDev -30.6%

I don't know what to say aside from I'm glad it was free. To say it looks like a light lager would be inaccurate. It was lighter and more clear than any other beer I've seen. I can't say I smelled anything. Is that possible? As for the flavor, it honestly tastes like a 50-50 mix of Bud Light and water. Guess what? The mouthfeel was watery and thin. Drinkability is where this beer takes off. It's low calorie, has no awful bitterness that most adjunct lagers have, and it's low ABV makes it extremely sessionable. I imagine you'd have to drink a case to get a buzz which would counteract the low calorie effect. I guess you win some and you lose some.

1.19/5  rDev -31.2%

Had this at a New Years Eve get together. Pours a pale yellow color with a thin white head which faded immediately. Almost no aroma, some cooked rice is about it. Same for the flavor. Not much going on here either. Feels thin and watery, carbonation is ok. This was a boring beer to drink.

2.79/5  rDev +61.3%

12 oz bottle courtesy of johnmichaelsen, as a gag, brought back from Arizona, where it's apparently being test marketed. Poured into a nonic, Select 55 is clear straw yellow with a small white head, creamy skim but leaving scattered lace.

Smell is grainy, a bit strong for such a light beer.

Taste is vapid and watery, like seltzer. Not grainy like the nose, or really like anything. Totally neutral, which I assume was their goal.

Mouthfeel is dry, crisp, and light.

Drinkability is, well, like seltzer. Sure I could chug this like water, but why would I want to? At only 2+ % ABV, it's not even worth the effort as an alcohol delivery device.

1.74/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: A perfectly clear golden-straw body capped by about a finger of white head that fizzles out quickly and leaves just a hint of sudsy lacing.

Aroma: A faint and watery mix of sweet grains and a hint of grassy hops.

Flavor: A twangy and sweetish rice body accompanied by some weak, almost-implied grassy bitterness. A crisp, clean, and damn-near flavorless aftertaste. Have you ever had Bud Light? How about water? Mix 'em up and this is pretty much what you get.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with sharp carbonation.

Drinkability: Besides the fact that it's bland, industrial beer-water this is a highly drinkable summbitch.

Verdict: If you want a buzz without too many calories, Bud Light already exists. If you don't like the taste of beer, there are plenty of alternatives out there. If you want to cut the flavor, calorie count, and alcohol content off a Bud Light in half, potable tap water is available in almost all American households. So why the hell does this exist?

1.16/5  rDev -32.9%

As far as the macro breweries AB is my favorite. However, with that being said there is not much of a beer to rate. Very disappointed. Concinced that the recipe of this beer is as follows:

1/2 can of bud light
6 ounces of evian or any filtered water
Mix in a bottle.

L- really not impressive to look at. Very light in color, you can only hope that it drinks heavier than it looks.

S- smells skunk no matter how fresh it is.

T- tastes skunk no matter how fresh it is.

D- it would be impressive if you finish the first bottle.

1.18/5  rDev -31.8%

my father in law brought a sixer of this on a visit. we each opened one and kinda got silent as we drank it and he kept looking at the bottle. finally i asked what was wrong and he said the beer!

yellow pale color, faint grainy smell, light grain and metalic taste. this is not good on any level. 55 calories. if i want that i will drink water. poor poor poor.

2.2/5  rDev +27.2%

Budweiser Select 55 pours a pale yellow color from a twelve ounce can. The aroma is mildly grainy, I can't particularly detect any hops or malt. The taste is predictably mild, a touch grainy and that's about it. Watery is probably the best description for this one. Okay for what it is, just not what most of the people on this site are looking for.

1.35/5  rDev -22%

Pale yellow gold with a head that's gone in 30 seconds. Now it looks like apple juice. It smells like an empty glass of beer. What I mean is, it smells like a glass that contained a skunked Heineken, that beer was drank, then the glass was left on the counter overnight. That's what this beer smells like. The taste? Jesus. Water. This tastes like cornade (Lemonade but made with corn). Water mouthfeel. Flat. terrible. I hope these horrible beers go away. What's the point? If people don't like beer they should drink something else.

1.48/5  rDev -14.5%

a: pours a very pale yellow color maybe a millimeter of head that disappears extremely quickly leaving not even a slight trace of lace lots of carbonation bubbles rise to the top
s: very subdued sweet macro rice
t: water with a hint of sweetness towards the finish
m: light bodied beer with ample carbonation

overall, i will not be buying this one very bland

1.63/5  rDev -5.8%

Bud Select 55 pours a light pale yellow. The skunky aroma covers up anything else that might be there. The flavor is sulfery and slightly grainy. More proof that a clear bottle is a bad idea. This beer is about as close to water as it gets. Not worth it, if you're dieting, go for mixed drinks or go without.

1.12/5  rDev -35.3%

Went all the way to Arizona to buy this swill.

The beer pours a light gold color with minimal head retention and no lacing. The "beer" really doesn't look that bad. On the nose, oh my God, this is flat out horrible. I get corn, rotten veggies, seltzer water and maybe some sulphur. This may well be the worst smelling beer I've ever come across. Flavors replicate the nose, except there's a hint of light american light lager. It's essentially seltzer water, but with a hint of macro swill beer flavor added in. This beer defines the expression watery, with no hint of alcohol in the flavor profile.

Calling this swill beer is a stretch, to say the least. There's sort of a "beerish" flavor to the beer, assuming your definition of beer is macro swill. Was initially planning on giving this beer a 1.5 for taste, but as I drank more and more of it (before dumping most of it down the drain), I realized that was entirely too generous. One of the worst beers ever made.... congratulations AB, you've managed to do it again.

.... and in my humble opinion, trying to cut back on calories and/or losing weight is no excuse for making or drinking a beverage this flavorless.

2.47/5  rDev +42.8%

Had to buy this just to say I've had it. Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass, beer is as it appears in the clear glass bottle; a very light golden yellow with lots of fizzy bubbles on the glass and comprising a large, foamy white head. The nose is virtually non-existent, what is there reminds me slightly of vomit. If AB was going for the absolute closest to water you can get and still call it a beer, they've hit the nail on the head. Goes down just like carbonated water with only a very slight whisper of Budweiser at the finish. Overall a very drinkable beer because again, how drinkable is water? Very! I'm sure this will get beat up bad just because it is an AB product, but honestly... could I get some beer with my beer???

1.51/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Pale yellow. Fizzy carbonation. Almost no smell. No tase at all. None. Tastes wet with some bubbles. This beer is completely pointless. I'm not one of those snobs who thinks there is no place for a mass produced yellow beer. Sometimes you want a simple cheap lager that you can down all day. But even I can't defend this. If they got it down to 55 calories, what is it made of? It's not even that drinkable because it is so boring. It's like drinking a case of bottled water. You probably could, but why? If this is what you have to drink in order to drink beer, you don't like beer.

1.83/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler Pint. Born on 08OCT09.

A - Pours a decently golden yellow color. Clear and effervescent, the white head disappears instantly. I expected it to be almost clear in color.

S - An initial burst of sulfery skunky aroma comes out. At this point I'd just stop but I'm never going to buy this beer again, so let's go. It disappears in favor of an insanely light rice aroma. Almost indistinguishable as a beer aroma-wise.

T - A bit sulfury and very watery. Almost no real beer flavor. Actually, if the skunked flavor wasn't there, there would be no flavor. haha.

M - Thin, watery, and sharply carbonated. As close to water as you'll get. In fact, have a Perrier instead.

D - Why would you ever want this? A pointless beer geared to guilt-filled individuals who lead horrible lives if their beer drinking comes to this...
At less than 4% you'd be bloated from drinking this before even feeling a slight buzz, but I suppose, as water, it's drinkable.

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch