Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.
Ratings: 526 | Reviews: 143
3.23/5  rDev +104.4%

Look - lighter golden color. Two fingers of head that dissipated pretty quickly. Slow carbonation.

Smell - Not too much smell, but just a tiny whiff of the typical light lager smell: watered down hoppiness.

Taste - More balanced "blandness" than most light lagers. No strong tastes otherwise.

Mouthfeel - Pretty strong on the watery part of the texture scale.

Drinkability - As far as light lagers go, this is a very drinkable beer. It definitely is lacking in complexity, but helps you maintain a buzz after sampling other more "diverse" beers.

2.9/5  rDev +83.5%

I got a great laugh from reading all the reviews of Select 55. I actually consume quite a lot of this stuff and it's really quite drinkable.

For all of you who are wondering why anyone would drink Select 55, here's the reason: it's pretty easy to drink a LOT of alcohol every damn night. Especially because I find it very difficult to grill my dinner without a beer in my hand.

I prefer IPAs and stouts with the occasional whit on warm summer evenings. I also like smokey Islay scotches and sweet bourbons depending on my mood. And, I like beer! I don't want to sit around sipping Perrier or diet soda every evening. With Select 55 I can enjoy the taste of an Arrogant Bastard or a Woodford Reserve to start off the evening and then drink four or five Select 55's without getting hammered or putting on 10 lbs a week. Five or six Lagunitas IPAs or Lagavulins every night would do some damage over time.

The taste of Select 55 is decent (i.e. non-offensive) and they go down nice and easy. It's light and pleasantly carbonated with just enough alcohol to take the edge off after a 10 hour work day. 55 is also perfect for camping or the beach when you literally could down a case of these throughout the day and not get hammered or sick. No it's not an objectively great beer, but it's perfect for what it is and therefore one of my "favorite" daily drinkers.

3.07/5  rDev +94.3%

Appearance: Ok head retention. Almost no carbonation upon opening, although you do get a fair amount when you shake it a bit. Overall, it's ok, but not great.

Smell: Mostly a grainy beer smell. I can't really describe this as anything else. It doesn't smell bad or skunked by any means. I can dig this on a basical level.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This stuff does not taste bad. Clean corn-like cereal grain. Like the smell, the taste does not have any bad qualities. The mouthfeel, however, leaves much to be desired. Extremely watery. Not slimy though, so that keeps this from getting a bad grade in this area.

Drinkability: No offensive smell or taste. Smooth, watery finish. All of these qualities make this pretty easy to drink.

Overall: Not a world-class beer by any means. Yet I find some surprisingly pleasant qualities with this. It smells ok, tastes ok, and is very easy to drink, which I think is the point of this beer. On these grounds, I give Budweiser Select 55 a thumbs up as a decent, albeit not great, beer.

2.14/5  rDev +35.4%

A - Very pale, very see through. A finger of head was produce, but literally in an instant, it was gone! But, it's a-typical.

S - Nothing on the smell. A little sweet corn, maybe grains. Everything is faint. There some metallic notes I'm not liking.

T - Minimal. Even for a light lager, it's just next to nothing, with this awful grainy aftertaste.

M - It's like water, need I continue?

D - It's easy to drink, but that does not equate to desirable.

On to the chug to end this nightmare...

2.61/5  rDev +65.2%

A: Corny color

S: nothing good, light to no aroma

T: cold with a few drops of Lemon/ Lime juice, it adds a little flavor to this tasteless watery beer.

Mothfeel: combination galore to watery

drinkability: Sure for the few calories, why not or not.

3.56/5  rDev +125.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

This is Hi-Tech Beer !

(like the computer you are using to view this review)

I'd challenge anyone to home-brew or even take the time to brew this beer.

This beer (?)/beverage is like malt flavored bottled water with a bit of a buzz. Judged on this premise, it can be AWE-some ! I wish I could drink this from my water bottle at work ! .. or on the bus, or in public ! :-)

Disclaimer: I've been doing ANA (Atkins, low carb) so I appreciate a low carb beer.

I can easily have fun drinking 4-6 of these to come up with a decent review and not get too buzzed ! 2.6 % ABV ? Damn ! .. maybe AB has re-invented the English Mild :-p (low carb).

On Sale and in a can, I like this stuff. I buy it for about $ 14 per 18 pack, and compared to other low carb food, that's a damn good deal. Compared to bottled water it's pretty good too, plus a malt back and buzz. I'm not CRAZY; I'm not gonna pay top $ for this stuff.

It has a watery initial flavor, some mid flavor and an every so slightly malty after taste.

I serve this from a can, into a glass. I like to see this beer. I drink with pleasure and don't slam these. Do you 'slam' your premium bottled water ?

This brand is probably like "Pepsi One vs. Coke Zero" -- Miller 64 vs. AB Select 55, but I hope they keep the category.

For Buzz, 3 of these is pretty close to 1 12 oz. 8 % beers. with a way less carbs !

Maybe a designated driver could have one of these when out with a group .. Just One .. with some food ... maybe get a bit of a buzz which would soon be gone.

If Bud or any American mega beer is BEER, then so is this. (or a malty, watery beverage, brewed, and with a bit of a buzz)

An Ultimate Lawnmover Beer .. to have a couple or few before and after mowing the lawn !

1.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Got this one for free out of a buddy's fridge. Had just gotten back from the Foothills Baltic Porter release and needed to sober up some, this was my first choice. Served from bottle into a Corona Extra shaker. Poured golden yellow with a one finger white head that died a very swift death. There was no lacing evident throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt, wheat, and URINE!? The flavor was of water, grain, and malt; mostly water however. It was light on the palate with low carbonation. Overall my question is, where did the flavor go??? However, I am glad that the urine I picked up on in the aroma stayed in the aroma and didn't hit my palate. This one was nice for sobering up, but that's about it...

2.21/5  rDev +39.9%

A friend left one lonely can in my fridge after a get together this past weekend. I figured I'd pop it open last night and finish it off. Poured into a pils glass. Very light yellow body, with moderate carbonation. Small fizzy head. Smell was nonexistent. Taste also was pretty much absent. Barely more flavor than water. Mouthfeel had some bubbles to it, and it was an easy beer to drink, which is what AB is looking for. But at 2.4% abv, what's the point? Since it's basically a non-alcoholic beer, you'd be better off drinking a lemonade. At least that has some flavor and "low calories".

2.3/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From the 12 fl. oz. can marked 07MAY10-WF09. Sampled on August 8, 2010. The pour is mainly yellow with a slight golden hue and a short-lived fizzy white head. The aroma is full of rice adjuncts but also there is a thin hoppy coating as well as a very fine pine-like scent. The body is not as watered down as many light beers I have had but I would not call it medium by any stretch of the imagination. There is a weak maltiness in the mix and a clean hopped shadow but nothing pounces out. Looking at this beer in an objective fashion it is very typical of light macros but not offensive.

1.41/5  rDev -10.8%

Okay... I'd like to give this beer a chance. So I'm going into this with a completely open mind and a "1984" sort of grim optimism. With that, I poured this beer in a pint glass.

A - Okay, off to a... decent start, I suppose. It's a golden color with surprisingly good carbonation. However, there is absolutely NO head on this, so it looks more like apple juice... but hey, I like apple juice so there's a plus.

S - A very slight hint of grains... and just a wee-bit of alcohol. Virtually not there.

T - Honest to goodness... Nothing. It tastes closer to Perrier than beer.

M - Thin, watery, but at least it has good carbonation. It gives it a bit of crispness that would otherwise be absent.

D - I'll struggle through the 2 I have, but after that, I will never drink this again.

Overall/notes - I'm moving and under a lot of stress, so my cousin gave me two of these as a sort of pick-me-up. In all honesty, I'm not going to make some sarcastic remark about it. After all, this is a beer with 55 calories. How does one review that? It accomplishes what it sets out to do: have the lightest beer possible. That, however, doesn't absolve it of all of the numerous faults it has. Just not a good beer and not even worth the can it comes in.

1.66/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Ordered this at the Baseball game right! thinking anything will taste good. In the thin plastic cup it's appearance was cloudy.

S- Tiny whiff of alcohol and co2

T- tasted useless...little malt zero hops.

M- i almost wanted my money back. Quite tasteless I guess for some people it's all what your use to.

D- If I drank these all day these will never quench my thirst. A useless product that doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

Serving type: Draft - 16oz for $ 7.50 -- baseball price

2.23/5  rDev +41.1%

Pours completely clear light gold and almost completely devoid of any color with a 1 finger foamy white head that faded quickly; looks like water and yet it still had decent lacing, which is strange.

Smells like grains, hay and grass, and barely had any odor at all. Very weak nose overall.

Tastes like grains, hay, lemon, grass, faint citrus hops and some very light caramel. Basically it tasted like club soda poured into a beer glass with a little beer left over at the bottom.

Mouthfeel was light, crisp and watery with very light carbonation and a refreshing feel that helped this beer go down fast and easy.

It's easy drinking, extremely light and lacks any real flavor. Great if you are looking to drink something that resembles beer, but this is not what is beer is about. This is 12 ounces of liquid to rehyrate with in between tasty beers.

2.16/5  rDev +36.7%

One 'souvenir' of a somewhat ill-advised scorched-earth invasion of small-town Washington State...

This beer pours a clear, surprisingly medium golden colour, with one finger of rapidly dissipating soapy white head, which leaves nary a speck of lace around the glass as evidence of its existence. It smells of very diluted white grain, and nothing else. The taste is a soul-deadening experience - Casper the Ghost in beer form. No skunk, no off-flavours, just a very tame graininess, and then, zilch. Nothing offensive, nothing good. Just nothing. Like slightly malted water. The carbonation is lower than average, the body like water exposed to a potato for a hour or so, and it finishes with a mild twinge of cheap lager, to complement that Dasani water quality.

I'm actually quite surprised - the only way that this is truly offensive is in its concept - as for its execution, it is just a very, very mild lager - no skunk factor whatsoever. Just like your go-to grocery store bottled water. However, that defence falls short - this is supposed to be BEER!

1.81/5  rDev +14.6%

Crystal clear and a darker yellow (almost gold) than I expected. A fizzy white cap disappeared shortly after the pour, leaving nothing on the sides of the glass. Light grainy aroma, faint apple, slightly vegetal - not much to talk about really. Low bitterness, minerals, cereal grains, metallic and watery finish. Thin bodied, sharp carbonation, super dry. Sort of tastes like carbonated water with a little bit of flavour added. Not much point here, as I expected - time to move along.

1.73/5  rDev +9.5%

This is not a beer I would spend money on, but I was over at my in-laws and was offered one, so I gave it a try.

A - The beer was amber in color with a large light head that dissipated after a minute in the glass. No lacing during the remainder of the drink.

S - Not much going, maybe rice or corn.

T - I recently watched King Corn and in the documentary the producers bemoaned the fact that almost all the corn produced in the US is inedible and bland. The corn is only useful after being manipulated in some way. The taste of the beer reminded me of the corn, tasteless, bland. Why not just drink water?

M - Carbonation was light and decent.

D - You would probably have to drink 3 or 4 fairly quickly to feel the effects. Not worth it to me, but maybe for some.

This beer is extremely pale and if you have a powerful imagination, you may notice a head.

There is little to no hops or malt aroma to this beer.

One taste of this beer will tell understand that Budweiser needed to take out anytihng that might add calories to get down to 55 calories which obviously included taste.

This beer has the same mouth feel as soda water with yellow food coloring.

You can drink (just barely) this beer which is its only positive.

If you like paying excessively high prices for bottled water, this beer is for you.

2.83/5  rDev +79.1%

Okay where do i begin with this one, This is one of those beers that you buy if your going to a party but need to drive home. That way you can still have a 6 pack and be under the legal limit LOL. The beer has got no taste to it really, the taste is just like any other widely produced beer.

The drinability on it is outstanding im sure i got put down a whole 24 pack easily.

The only thing I can say about this beer that is good is that its good for barbeques and partys where you don't want to get drunk but you do want something to drink.

2.68/5  rDev +69.6%

Appearance seems no different than any other macro with light golden body and a thin crisp dissapating head. Smell is clean that has a light aroma of grainy adjuncts. Taste of light grain that is definably watered down that ends dry. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. I'd have to say that amongst the ultra's that I've tried so far, this aint to bad.

3.46/5  rDev +119%

I drank this beer alongside other super light beers--MGD 64 and Michelob Ultra.

Out of the three, the Ultra 55 is definitely the best. MGD 64 was the worst. Mic Ultra wasn't far behind the MGD.

I rated the appearance as 4.0. Quite frankly, it's a light, straw colored liquid. I'm not sure what this metric is supposed to gauge. It looks like a liquid. If there aren't metal shavings in a beer, I'll drink it.

I was drinking this out of a pint glass. There wasn't much of a smell, but I wasn't expecting one. It had a faint smell of grain.

For a beer with 55 calories, the taste was pretty good. Very muted.

hatersgonnahate.jpg

I'd prefer this over BL, BL Lime, and Sunset Wheat.

1.96/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours golden with a white head that becomes a white patch - Lacing sticks. Decent appearance for the style.

The smell is of mild grain - maybe...not much of anything in aroma, though. Clean, but vacant.

The taste is cardboard-ish with tonic water - a bit of sweetness. Extremely bland, even for a very light "beer".

The feel is all fizz.

This is not good, even for a macro light lager. Why bother... might as well drink tonic water...in fact, I probably would prefer to, would be less cardboardy.

1.4/5  rDev -11.4%

appearance is a very very pale yellow with pretty much no head

not much happening for smell no hops no malts coming thru really nothing at all

taste is so light that you cant even tell there is alcohol in it there is not real hint of hops or malt flavor just some carbonation, it might as well be odouls

it has a clean mouthfeel but that is due to the lack of really anything in it

it has good drinkable but taste is so light that if your looking for some sort of beer flavor but if you want a light beer this is not for you get a real light beer this is not a good beer and should be avoided

1.3/5  rDev -17.7%

Oh man, this stuff is awful. Had a 12-pack mysteriously left in my car after a night out, now I know why.

Select 55 tastes exactly like club soda. There are practically no malt or hop flavors, nothing. Think of a club soda with a squeeze of old lemon and a small dash of bitters.

Frankly, this stuff would be better used as a seltzer water for mixing with inferior Scotch whiskies. It could find a niche there.

One thing Select 55 is, is thirst-quenching. Due to the lack of any flavor or body, I suppose one could hang out after a long jog or ride while wearing spandex with their "buddies" and quench their thirst with these. Other than that, there is really no place for this beer in a mans fridge.

2.17/5  rDev +37.3%

Budweiser Select 55 is a Light Beer brewed by Anheuser-Busch. This brew has an ABV of 2.40% Select 55 is the Lighter of Budweiser select. This brew pours out a nice light amber color with a smell white head. The smell is light with a hit of grains and malts. This is just a water down beer. No taste at all. You pick up hits of beer taste. The drinkability is ok, it is smooth and clean. This beer is like drinking Busch NA. Over all I would not buy this unless you like Light Light Beers. Not the greatest Anheuser-Busch brew I had. Overall I'm giving this brew a 2 out 5

1.06/5  rDev -32.9%

Appearance - You can see through this beer as you can see through the cost-cutting of AB. The color is a crystal clear hue of honey. Some fizzy lacing that subsides in an instant. The look isn't offensive though.

Smell - The smell isn't skunky (there isn't actually enough beer in this drink to skunk in the first place...), but it isn't remotely pleasing to the nose either. The anemic aroma when you press your nose close to the glass is artificial, and of adjunct origin.

Taste - As others have pointed out, it does taste like seltzer water. Seltzer water that has been gargled in the mouth of a larva eating baboon, and spit out into the beak of a Manhattan pigeon which later pissed it out onto Fifth Avenue, to be licked off of the hot blacktop by none other than yours truly. The fact that Budweiser proclaims it to be a "Premium Light Beer" prominently on the label is comical, as this is neither premium, nor beer. As far as the "light" goes - well I wish the folks at AB would turn one on so I could potentially see the reason as to why one would spend their pay on this rubbish. Awful aftertaste to boot.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is the overwhelming factor here. It isn't particularly smooth nor harsh.

Drinkability - I really can't even imagine someone who doesn't drink beer, liking this beer. You might assume that because it's watery, it would be a good social beer, but in my opinion it doesn't even hold that value. A first time or occasional beer drinker would only turn the other cheek as soon as they realized they could be drinking alka-seltzer for less money. It really isn't drinkable or refreshing.

Do yourself a favor, and at the bar or package store, select a different brew.

2.73/5  rDev +72.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz clear bottle purchased (cheaply) at the local Hannaford's. Pours a crystal clear very light straw yellow with an initial white head that dissipates almost immediately. Smells mostly like cooked corn with hints of malt in the background. Tastes very light. Cooked corn (DMS) and slight hints at bready malt character toward the finish is all I'm getting. Extremely light-bodied with moderate carbonation. Pretty drinkable, no surprise since this basically comes off as beer-flavored carbonated water. Dull and lifeless, albeit somewhat refreshing.

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch