Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.
1.26/5  rDev -27.6%

Pale yellow with no head. No discernible smell. Tastes grainy and slightly chalky. No bitterness, but a slight sourness (not in a good way). It almost tastes rancid. There is a bit of body, surprisingly. Not much, and not enough to be good, but it isn't the worst I've had. Overall, if I want beer, I'll pass on this. If I want low cal, I'll get a Michelob Ultra, and if I want a cheap Big Brew beer to get drunk on, I'll find some Coors Light. This beer has no place in my rotation.

1.58/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, pale golden color. Has a small, thin, fizzy head that dissipates quickly down to nothing.

Smell: Has a very light, practically nonexistent, grainy smell. Really nothing here.

Taste: Very lightly bitter up front. Finishes grainy and slightly sweet with an unpleasant metallic aftertaste. This barely even tastes like beer, more like fizzy, grainy water.

Mouthfeel: The only thing separating this beer from water is that it's slightly carbonated. However, I get that they're trying to make this beer go down like water, so I won't hold it against them too much.

Overall: If you don't think of this as beer, it's a refreshing, mildly alcoholic, low calorie refreshment. If you do think of it as beer, it's a bland, tasteless excuse for a beer. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

1.63/5  rDev -6.3%

Pale fizzy yellow. Almost non existant scent and taste save for some faint kiss of cooked corn. Bubbly and uber light. Lifeless and uninspired, the weakest alcoholic beverage I have ever sampled. But when faced with this or other BMC Light products, maybe its almost better to not have anything to smell or taste or digest.

1.2/5  rDev -31%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pilsener glass. "Born on" 26 April, 2012.

Appearance: Clear, light yellow with 1 finger of quickly fading foam leaving no lacing. No carbonation bubbles.

Smell: A slightly sweet, wet grainy aroma.

Taste: Dry, bland grainy taste.

Mouth Feel: Thin and watery with little carbonic bite.

Overall: This is a poor excuse for a light beer. A lot of light beers are at least somewhat refreshing but this doesn't do that. I won't be having this again.

2.12/5  rDev +21.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, adjuncts, grain and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready from flavors of grain and adjuncts. Then some light malt sweetness quickly follows. The hops presence is extremely faint and there’s a little balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, very light body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Not very flavorful, goes down quite easily and is not filling at all since there isn’t very much to this beer, extremely mild kick, it’s a watered-down version of a beer that didn’t have much to it to begin with.

1.69/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a golden copper with some soapy white head that quickly fades. The nose has a strong corn presence and some apple fruitiness. The flavor is very, very faint; grainy and fruity with some apple notes. It's very sweet and has a faint metallic aftertaste. The mouthfeel is super light and highly carbonated.

Well, this is a very light beer so mission accomplished but this lacks any kind of flavor and the apple-like off notes dominate both the smell and the flavor. Pass.

1.89/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: Clear medium golden in color, with a moderate, persistent white head, good patchy lacing, and an abundance of small fast-rising bubbles.

Aroma: Dusty, with mineral notes, and a faint caramel presence. There seems to be a slight herbal hop presence.

Taste: Opens with slightly toasted caramel malt, as the taste progresses, a mild vegetable note appears, somewhat like cooked corn. Finishes with a lingering graininess, somewhat like unsalted, air-popped popcorn kernels.

Mouth feel: Rather thin, with aggressive, slightly stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: I am not trying to be excessively critical, but at fifty-five calories, and an ABV of 4.8 percent, I wonder how different this would be from a "normal" 110 calorie, 5.0% ABV lager cut with fifty percent carbonated mineral water.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce aluminum can, served in a standard Pilsener glass.

2.01/5  rDev +15.5%

Been watching my caloric intake so I saw this the other day and figured let's try it just to see how bad it is and also to see it filled a void that I had for my beer cravings. This is literally watered down Bud Select. Pours a fizzy yellow golden color with a highly carbonated quickly fleeting head, leaves sparse speckled lacing on the sides of my glass. Aroma has cooked vegetable, corn, generic beer nose, no actual hop component with a bit of metallic character going on. The first sip has a watery non discrete grainy quality with some more of the cooked corn rough husk quality, no herbal no hops just generic mass produced beer flavor. Ferments out to only 2.4% alcohol this is a glorified non alcoholic beer. Labeled as premium light beer, I'm just surprised that it's only 55 calories the only other drink other than water that I've had on a regular basis has been Gatorade G2 at 45 calories. Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation pretty rough just because of the graininess light flavors and high carbonation.

1.05/5  rDev -39.7%

I found a shopping cart full of these 12oz cans at the Foremost Liquor store in Glendale Heights, IL for 50¢ a can, so I grabbed one to try it. Born on date on the bottom of the can says 8/25/11 on it, so this can is about 5 months old.

The beer poured out a crystal clear pale gold color and made a ½-finger fizzy white head that dissipated to nothing within 5 seconds - not even a trace of film on top and absolutely no lacing whatsoever.

The rest of the review can be summed up thusly: This beer has no smell, no flavor, no taste, no body, and no reason to buy it. Go get yourself a glass of ice water and you've basically got the same thing.

It is carbonated, so maybe change that to selzer water and there you have it. Nothing offensive about it other than it masquerading itself as a beer, but hey, at this price it's even cheaper than bottled water, so it's got that going for it I guess.

2.4% alcohol, so go knock yourself out with a six-pack, but if if you really want to try a decent light beer go get a Sam Adams Light. This Bud Select 55 does nothing for me.

4.24/5  rDev +143.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I gave this beer high rating because it does what it's supposed to do. It's not supposed to be a strong smelling, dark, tasteful beer. And that's what i want sometimes. When it's hot out and I want a cold beer to go down fast, this is the one. It's light and yes the taste is very weak. But it's kind of like wanting a cold glass of ice water on a hot day, but it's still a beer. It can't be denied, there is a reason Budweiser is the top selling beer, a lot of people do like it.

1.06/5  rDev -39.1%

pours out of the clear bottle a clear light golden colour with plenty of fizziness to support a relatively thin fine head. exceeded my expectations already! a bit of lace. very light grainy, husky, musty aroma. the taste is of glorified seltzer water. thinly malted and barely hopped. ugh. feather light body and a crisply carbonated mouthfeel. double ugh. not really drinkable, unless your standing on the surface of the sun and are extremely thirsty.

overall...why? yuck.

1.98/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured intoa pint glass.

It's yellow with a rim of white lace. Not a lot of carbonation.

It doesn't really smell like anything, water?

The first taste was more flavorful than I expected, but after that it was rather flavorless.

It's watery and crisp, but the fizziness disappears immediately.

If the beer world is slowly seeing the emergence of craft beer into a dominant force, maybe AB thinks there's a shift in the opposite direction as well, ultra light beers. I've had much worse products than this one, but artistically this beer is like Thomas Kincaid. This may be good business for AB and macro brewers, but it is not driven from a deep and abiding love for beer.

2.26/5  rDev +29.9%

poured from can into a pint glass. body is a clear pale straw color with half a finger of white bubbly head that disappears rather quickly. smell and taste were almost none. was able to pick up on faint grains and a metallic tonic water flavor. beer goes down pretty clean with no hops flavor and too much carbonation. like drinking a glass of tonic, maybe i should of addded vodka and a lime.

1.8/5  rDev +3.4%

12 oz. bottle.

Super clean and clear light straw yellow body. Fizzy, soda-pop finger of eggshell-white head. Dissipates down to a few small bubbles after 30 seconds. Faint nose with very light notes of honey and rice chex cereal.

Slightly astringent grainy malt and mineral water bitterness up front. Watered down faint cereal malt flavors mid-palate. Not even a hint of sweetness. Mineral water bitterness into the finish. Light bodied with a very lively, soda-like feel. Watery and almost tasteless. I'd rather have 4 oz. of a good beer if I were watching my beer calories...

2.1/5  rDev +20.7%

Light straw, lots of bubbles and small head that fades to nothing. No smell, maybe straw. Taste is of carbonated water, some straw, corn. Mouthfeel is very light, highly carbonated. There is just no flavor here, but I guess that it can't be avoided with 55 calories.

1.03/5  rDev -40.8%

This to me is one of the worst beers of all time. I grabbed this because it was on sale for 3 dollars (that should have screamed to me that it was terrible) and I poured it into a regular pint glass. The beer poured a boring piss yellow and the smell was just a tiny bit of something and water. The taste was not there, you get a little malt, but other than that not much at all. The mouthfeel is like highly carbonated water. I couldnt stand it so it went down the drain, as well as the other 5. Dont buy this beer, it is terrible.

1.28/5  rDev -26.4%

I thought regular Bud Select was already a light enough beer but apparently not. Bud Select 55 is a very lo-cal beer that is very low in the flavor department.

This beer pours a golden color with a fingers worth of fizzy foam that disappears in under 30 seconds. Tons of little fizzy bubbles race to the top of the class, indicating that this will be a very carbonated beer. The brew has that typical Bud Light smell of husky grains, and it also has a tiny bit of skunk for good measure no thanks to the clear glass bottle. The beer almost stings the tongue because of the sharp carbonation level. The beer is unsurprisingly bland and watery. There is a slight husky grain flavor present and a little bit of bitterness in the finish, but I would compare the flavor more to seltzer water than anything. Some dryness lingers on in the finish and the beer has no alcoholic warmth.

I think Coors Light might still be a more watery beer, but while Coors just lacks flavor for the most part, Bud Select 55 is almost a chore to drink. It felt like it took me a half hour to finish the bottle. I think the unpleasant mouthfeel really hindered this beer. This is definitely not recommended, even to people who like light beers.

2.2/5  rDev +26.4%

Pours clear pale gold with about one inch of bone white head, no lacing. Aroma is a hint of grain. Taste is clean crisp malt water. A tiny amount of bitterness is found from time to time. Mouthfeel was like a lower cabonated sparkling water. Some dryness in the finish. If they had a seperate style class for ultralight beer this would fare a bit better.

1.32/5  rDev -24.1%

A - The closest beer to water I've seen in my life. It makes BMC light lagers look like craft beer. Heavily, heavily, heavily carbonated.

S - Smells like water with a drop of light beer added.

T - Almost completely devoid of flavor -- I'm not exaggerating. I would think I was drinking Perrier if I was blindfolded.

M - Reminiscent of sparkling water.

O - The ads say it's the "lightest beer in the world". They aren't lying. I strongly suggest sacrificing an additional 40-60 calories and go with a BMC light lager instead.

2.26/5  rDev +29.9%

A: straw golden.
S: malt and corn. Lager yeast
T: seltzer water with a splash of bud light.
MF: high carbonation. Light finish.
O: it's a good idea for people who like la croix but want a beer like flavor. Good for if u want a beer with dinner while on a diet. But that's it.

1.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Select 55 has a thick, yet quickly dissipating head and a clear, bubbly, yellow-golden appearance. The aroma is very slight, but some sweet graininess is picked up. Taste is quite dull and mineral water like. A little grain and not much more is detected. The overriding taste is tap water. Mouthfeel is super-light and watery, and the finish of Select 55 is like water finishes. So dull! Overall, this is poor, and I advise you to stay away.

3.36/5  rDev +93.1%

Ok, let me first say when you see this beer it is obvious what you are going to get. Half the calories, half the alcohol, half the taste. This beer is perfect for those times when you are entertaining friends and want to be sociable without getting drunk. It is far better than most NA brews and better than MGD 64. I am actually impressed a bit by this beer. I drink it on a hot summer day when I don't want too get drunk.

1.3/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My pour yielded a one finger head of the whitest foam I have seen in a long time, and I am glad I took a good look because it was gone very quickly, leaving very little lace very little cling. Color is a 2 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is a light aroma of cooked corn and wheat. Taste is much like the smell, but less of it. Sweet corn and wheat, maybe a slight touch of grapefruit, can I say bland. Mouthfeel equals fizzy water. I guess if you want to drink a lot and pee a lot in a night of fun with friends and still be sober to drive, this would be the beer for you.

2.09/5  rDev +20.1%

Picked a bottle of this at Liquor Barn, it's one of those brews that I know I'll never buy a 6 pack of, but want to try for some stupid reason. 12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear light gold color with about a 1/4 inch white head that went away very quickly. There isn't any lacing left on the glass. Aroma is a bit of sweet malt, and not much else. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't exactly smell appealing either. The taste is pretty much just like the aroma. It tastes like a bit of sweet malt, but there aren't any offensive flavors. Mouthfeel/body is light and watery, but that's to be expected for this style of beer. It's really not hard to drink at all. I was expecting the worst when I tried this brew, but I was pleasantly surprised. I hate to admit this, but if someone gave me a bottle of this, I'd drink it (not that I'll ever buy this again). I've certainly drank worse beers. I'm not saying this is good, but for a 55 calorie light lager, it's a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

1.2/5  rDev -31%

the best thing i can say about it is it looks like beer in the bottle. pours light gold color white head that quickly went flat and no lace. very weak cooked corn smell. its hard to describe the taste because there was none. watery weak mouthfeel and not enough alcohol to make to worth the price. don't waste your money if your looking for beer. its not.

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch