2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser Select 55Budweiser Select 55

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.

(Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 376 | Reviews: 124 | Show All Ratings:
alexgash

Connecticut

1.78/5  rDev +9.2%

12 oz. bottle.

Super clean and clear light straw yellow body. Fizzy, soda-pop finger of eggshell-white head. Dissipates down to a few small bubbles after 30 seconds. Faint nose with very light notes of honey and rice chex cereal.

Slightly astringent grainy malt and mineral water bitterness up front. Watered down faint cereal malt flavors mid-palate. Not even a hint of sweetness. Mineral water bitterness into the finish. Light bodied with a very lively, soda-like feel. Watery and almost tasteless. I'd rather have 4 oz. of a good beer if I were watching my beer calories...

10-26-2011 02:56:45 | More by alexgash
Jerone

2.1/5  rDev +28.8%

Light straw, lots of bubbles and small head that fades to nothing. No smell, maybe straw. Taste is of carbonated water, some straw, corn. Mouthfeel is very light, highly carbonated. There is just no flavor here, but I guess that it can't be avoided with 55 calories.

10-20-2011 21:26:53 | More by Jerone
gtermi

1.02/5  rDev -37.4%

This to me is one of the worst beers of all time. I grabbed this because it was on sale for 3 dollars (that should have screamed to me that it was terrible) and I poured it into a regular pint glass. The beer poured a boring piss yellow and the smell was just a tiny bit of something and water. The taste was not there, you get a little malt, but other than that not much at all. The mouthfeel is like highly carbonated water. I couldnt stand it so it went down the drain, as well as the other 5. Dont buy this beer, it is terrible.

10-12-2011 05:47:38 | More by gtermi
Beastdog75

1.25/5  rDev -23.3%

I thought regular Bud Select was already a light enough beer but apparently not. Bud Select 55 is a very lo-cal beer that is very low in the flavor department.

This beer pours a golden color with a fingers worth of fizzy foam that disappears in under 30 seconds. Tons of little fizzy bubbles race to the top of the class, indicating that this will be a very carbonated beer. The brew has that typical Bud Light smell of husky grains, and it also has a tiny bit of skunk for good measure no thanks to the clear glass bottle. The beer almost stings the tongue because of the sharp carbonation level. The beer is unsurprisingly bland and watery. There is a slight husky grain flavor present and a little bit of bitterness in the finish, but I would compare the flavor more to seltzer water than anything. Some dryness lingers on in the finish and the beer has no alcoholic warmth.

I think Coors Light might still be a more watery beer, but while Coors just lacks flavor for the most part, Bud Select 55 is almost a chore to drink. It felt like it took me a half hour to finish the bottle. I think the unpleasant mouthfeel really hindered this beer. This is definitely not recommended, even to people who like light beers.

08-25-2011 20:18:45 | More by Beastdog75
Spikester

Oregon

2.23/5  rDev +36.8%

Pours clear pale gold with about one inch of bone white head, no lacing. Aroma is a hint of grain. Taste is clean crisp malt water. A tiny amount of bitterness is found from time to time. Mouthfeel was like a lower cabonated sparkling water. Some dryness in the finish. If they had a seperate style class for ultralight beer this would fare a bit better.

08-15-2011 03:34:52 | More by Spikester
barrenbane

1.33/5  rDev -18.4%

A - The closest beer to water I've seen in my life. It makes BMC light lagers look like craft beer. Heavily, heavily, heavily carbonated.

S - Smells like water with a drop of light beer added.

T - Almost completely devoid of flavor -- I'm not exaggerating. I would think I was drinking Perrier if I was blindfolded.

M - Reminiscent of sparkling water.

O - The ads say it's the "lightest beer in the world". They aren't lying. I strongly suggest sacrificing an additional 40-60 calories and go with a BMC light lager instead.

08-05-2011 06:53:14 | More by barrenbane
rmolledo

2.25/5  rDev +38%

A: straw golden.
S: malt and corn. Lager yeast
T: seltzer water with a splash of bud light.
MF: high carbonation. Light finish.
O: it's a good idea for people who like la croix but want a beer like flavor. Good for if u want a beer with dinner while on a diet. But that's it.

07-27-2011 22:17:29 | More by rmolledo
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

1.8/5  rDev +10.4%

Select 55 has a thick, yet quickly dissipating head and a clear, bubbly, yellow-golden appearance. The aroma is very slight, but some sweet graininess is picked up. Taste is quite dull and mineral water like. A little grain and not much more is detected. The overriding taste is tap water. Mouthfeel is super-light and watery, and the finish of Select 55 is like water finishes. So dull! Overall, this is poor, and I advise you to stay away.

RJT

06-20-2011 23:42:08 | More by RonaldTheriot
Vebbster17

3.45/5  rDev +111.7%

Ok, let me first say when you see this beer it is obvious what you are going to get. Half the calories, half the alcohol, half the taste. This beer is perfect for those times when you are entertaining friends and want to be sociable without getting drunk. It is far better than most NA brews and better than MGD 64. I am actually impressed a bit by this beer. I drink it on a hot summer day when I don't want too get drunk.

05-21-2011 18:02:31 | More by Vebbster17
beerprovedwright

Georgia

1.27/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My pour yielded a one finger head of the whitest foam I have seen in a long time, and I am glad I took a good look because it was gone very quickly, leaving very little lace very little cling. Color is a 2 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is a light aroma of cooked corn and wheat. Taste is much like the smell, but less of it. Sweet corn and wheat, maybe a slight touch of grapefruit, can I say bland. Mouthfeel equals fizzy water. I guess if you want to drink a lot and pee a lot in a night of fun with friends and still be sober to drive, this would be the beer for you.

05-18-2011 15:12:02 | More by beerprovedwright
bluejacket74

2.08/5  rDev +27.6%

Picked a bottle of this at Liquor Barn, it's one of those brews that I know I'll never buy a 6 pack of, but want to try for some stupid reason. 12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear light gold color with about a 1/4 inch white head that went away very quickly. There isn't any lacing left on the glass. Aroma is a bit of sweet malt, and not much else. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't exactly smell appealing either. The taste is pretty much just like the aroma. It tastes like a bit of sweet malt, but there aren't any offensive flavors. Mouthfeel/body is light and watery, but that's to be expected for this style of beer. It's really not hard to drink at all. I was expecting the worst when I tried this brew, but I was pleasantly surprised. I hate to admit this, but if someone gave me a bottle of this, I'd drink it (not that I'll ever buy this again). I've certainly drank worse beers. I'm not saying this is good, but for a 55 calorie light lager, it's a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

05-14-2011 00:00:05 | More by bluejacket74
billybob

1.18/5  rDev -27.6%

the best thing i can say about it is it looks like beer in the bottle. pours light gold color white head that quickly went flat and no lace. very weak cooked corn smell. its hard to describe the taste because there was none. watery weak mouthfeel and not enough alcohol to make to worth the price. don't waste your money if your looking for beer. its not.

04-18-2011 18:14:38 | More by billybob
JoeyBeerBelly

2.05/5  rDev +25.8%

Review from memory - consumed at my sister-in-laws on 4/11/11 after a family members wake.

12oz bottled served in a pilsner glass.

L - flat yellow color with a white head that goes away right away.
S - grainy, not much else
T - taste is basically just grainy as well.
F - thin and light.
O - if you think this is going to make you lose weight you probably love it but I'm not on a diet.

04-17-2011 02:04:07 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
tone77

2.58/5  rDev +58.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a aple golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some notes of beer. Taste is also mild, a touch of malt, not much going on. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while not the worst light beer I have tried, there is nothing to seperate it from this unremarkable herd.

04-09-2011 14:21:44 | More by tone77
Knapp85

1.35/5  rDev -17.2%

Had to try it just to see what the hype was all about. I'm still impressed that this hasn't been retired by the brewery. It's one thing to have a light beer, and it's another thing to have a Light Light Beer. Honestly, I'm struggling to see the purpose to this. If Americans are getting too fat to enjoy a good beer from time to time then they shouldn't be having beer at all. This beer is a waster of money, time, ingredients, and everything else that is put into making this. I'd rather see this removed from the shelves and Crystal Pepsi put in it's place.

03-20-2011 16:18:00 | More by Knapp85
jsprain1

1.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Pale straw. Fizzy head disappears immediately.
S- It smells like grains steeped in water. If it were stronger it would be like when you forget about that empty bowl of cereal for a couple days.
T- Grainy, slightly metallic. Undeniably watery. Best drunk tremendously cold.
M- Watery. Thin. Initially overcarbed, but by the end the carbonation is gone.
D- Easy to drink, in that it's almost water. Not easy to drink in that it doesn't taste that great.

03-18-2011 17:06:27 | More by jsprain1
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

1.2/5  rDev -26.4%

2.4% really? awesome!!!

Poured into pint glass.

Pours a light layer of white head. Fades away quick. Color is a clear golden yellow.

Aroma: Grains. That is all. This smells more like water than it does beer.

Taste: See aroma. Really. This beer has no beer taste to it. Grains at a very minimal.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and crisp. High carbonation. Light bodied. Ends bland and dry.

Overally, is this a beer or some kind of water? I guess it was easy to drink, but that was because it was basically water. Would I drink it again? No.

03-16-2011 04:42:36 | More by mothman
afinepilsner

Iowa

1.68/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz clear bottle

Select 55 was pale yellow in color with good clarity. It had a fizzy white head that disappeared instantly. The smell was very light and clean with a bit of cereal grain. The taste was water with a touch of grain thrown in. The mouthfeel was as close to water as you can get with light carbonation. Drinkability was poor. This is the wateriest beer that I have ever tried.

03-12-2011 21:42:37 | More by afinepilsner
chiccabeer

OK so my updated review:

I hate to even admit I have tried this beer, but I have. This should not even be classified as a beer and more as a liquid used to torture our enemies. There is nothing about this beer that could be classified as good except after you drink one you only sacrificed your soul and 55 calories to try it.

Here is why I said the above. This beer has an awful taste that only get worse when it gets warmer. There is no flavor to discuss. I understand this is seems like I am "slamming" this beer. I really am not! There isn't anything to write about with this beer. The mouth feel is almost chalky leaving your mouth dry. The flavor is a a generic American style bud, but with less taste. I would recommend you try another beer if you are looking for a lot cal beer.

03-05-2011 16:49:32 | More by chiccabeer
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

2.6/5  rDev +59.5%

A- Well there's not much to say here but should there be? Surprisingly the color is more golden than I was expecting, being darker than the grassy yellow straw that I thought I'd get. That's where the good stops...lots of ginger ale like carbonation rising to the top and very little head initially, which quickly disappears to literally nothing. Also, there is no lacing to speak of, but I didn't have many expectations for the look of this one....

S- Not much to speak of here either, with the standard aromas available. Dry grassy straw, some raw grain and a little skunk sum this one up. No hop bitterness to speak of....just a slight metallic dryness...

T- While there is nothing impressive about the flavor of this beer, I have to admit that for a light beer with only 55 calories that the flavor is about as good as it can get! There is some very mild malt flavors but with a little skunk mixed in. Of course the finish is nothing special other than clean and a bit adjunct-ish.

M- Thin, watery body and with lots of carbonation, but what do you expect?! There isn't much else to say about this but it is crisp and clean which I guess is what it should be!

D- This is a very easy beer to slam back! It's light flavor and heavy carbonation would be killer as a patio beer, but I think it would be more effort than it's worth, having to use the toilet often and not getting the desired buzz effect. I'll stick to a standard macro before this but if I'm having a heavy meal, this might be a compromise. A notch below Bud Select but a notch above MGD 64!

03-05-2011 04:41:26 | More by ChrisCage
orangesol

1.45/5  rDev -11%

My buddy offered me a sip of this the other night, I think that was all I will need to review this one...

A - Pours pale straw yellow with a fizzy white half finger tall white head leaving no lacing down the glass.

S - Kinda stale. Very faint hops and lightly toasted malt. How do they get people to drink this stuff? It is terrible.

T - I guess people like drinking stuff that tastes this bad. VERY faint hops and light malt. All you can really taste is how watery it is, and that is not a good thing.

M - Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. This feels like I am drinking flavored water. Terrible.

D - Not good. How do you make a terrible beer even worse? You make Budweiser Select 55.

03-03-2011 17:09:25 | More by orangesol
Wasatch

Utah

1.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clean pale yellow color, some carbonation, with a fizzy little white head, some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy/ricy, slight spice. The taste is watery at best, not much going on here. Light Body. Not Drinkable, a waste of money on this one.

02-28-2011 20:53:26 | More by Wasatch
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.95/5  rDev +81%

another entry from the lost notebook!

i saw this one in the in laws fridge and had forgotten to bring anything with me that day so i just went with it. poured it into a pint glass and a light golden amber comes through right away. again nothing really crazy here an exactly what i had expected. short lived head and lively carbonation were common place. aroma is light grain, muted and touched by very light hop notes that seem to provide something, but again so light it is really hard to detect. crisp, clean, super light and had virtually no aftertaste. not a terrible beer just a non existent one. too light and overly carbonated but i have had much worse.

02-23-2011 02:32:54 | More by mikesgroove
JayS2629

Alabama

1.78/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Thin, watery pale yellow with fizzy white head that fades fast. Looks like gingerale.

S- There is a smell? I tried to find a smell and ended up snorting beer. Faint, faint hint of sweet malt and maybe citrus.

T- Its like watered down, watered down beer. No wonder its low in calories, its basically water with a splash of beer. Very faint sweet taste of malt and corn and thats it.

M- Overly carbonated, thin and watery

D- Harsh and fizzy, watery, boring, and unpleasant.

01-05-2011 14:12:47 | More by JayS2629
BBri

1.25/5  rDev -23.3%

A: Very light, golden color seems to be almost a by-product rather than a goal...

S: Sweet and very light. Very little character.

T: Harsh. Bad. Like Bud Bight and water mixed 50/50.

M: Heavily carbonated so it's almost like drinking a soda. If a good stout is silky smooth, this is like drinking felt with sand on it.

D: I would highly recommend against it. It's all around bad.

12-31-2010 15:03:11 | More by BBri