Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.
Ratings: 526 | Reviews: 143
2.26/5  rDev +43%

A: straw golden.
S: malt and corn. Lager yeast
T: seltzer water with a splash of bud light.
MF: high carbonation. Light finish.
O: it's a good idea for people who like la croix but want a beer like flavor. Good for if u want a beer with dinner while on a diet. But that's it.

1.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Select 55 has a thick, yet quickly dissipating head and a clear, bubbly, yellow-golden appearance. The aroma is very slight, but some sweet graininess is picked up. Taste is quite dull and mineral water like. A little grain and not much more is detected. The overriding taste is tap water. Mouthfeel is super-light and watery, and the finish of Select 55 is like water finishes. So dull! Overall, this is poor, and I advise you to stay away.

RJT

3.36/5  rDev +112.7%

Ok, let me first say when you see this beer it is obvious what you are going to get. Half the calories, half the alcohol, half the taste. This beer is perfect for those times when you are entertaining friends and want to be sociable without getting drunk. It is far better than most NA brews and better than MGD 64. I am actually impressed a bit by this beer. I drink it on a hot summer day when I don't want too get drunk.

1.3/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My pour yielded a one finger head of the whitest foam I have seen in a long time, and I am glad I took a good look because it was gone very quickly, leaving very little lace very little cling. Color is a 2 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is a light aroma of cooked corn and wheat. Taste is much like the smell, but less of it. Sweet corn and wheat, maybe a slight touch of grapefruit, can I say bland. Mouthfeel equals fizzy water. I guess if you want to drink a lot and pee a lot in a night of fun with friends and still be sober to drive, this would be the beer for you.

2.09/5  rDev +32.3%

Picked a bottle of this at Liquor Barn, it's one of those brews that I know I'll never buy a 6 pack of, but want to try for some stupid reason. 12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear light gold color with about a 1/4 inch white head that went away very quickly. There isn't any lacing left on the glass. Aroma is a bit of sweet malt, and not much else. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't exactly smell appealing either. The taste is pretty much just like the aroma. It tastes like a bit of sweet malt, but there aren't any offensive flavors. Mouthfeel/body is light and watery, but that's to be expected for this style of beer. It's really not hard to drink at all. I was expecting the worst when I tried this brew, but I was pleasantly surprised. I hate to admit this, but if someone gave me a bottle of this, I'd drink it (not that I'll ever buy this again). I've certainly drank worse beers. I'm not saying this is good, but for a 55 calorie light lager, it's a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

1.2/5  rDev -24.1%

the best thing i can say about it is it looks like beer in the bottle. pours light gold color white head that quickly went flat and no lace. very weak cooked corn smell. its hard to describe the taste because there was none. watery weak mouthfeel and not enough alcohol to make to worth the price. don't waste your money if your looking for beer. its not.

2.05/5  rDev +29.7%

Review from memory - consumed at my sister-in-laws on 4/11/11 after a family members wake.

12oz bottled served in a pilsner glass.

L - flat yellow color with a white head that goes away right away.
S - grainy, not much else
T - taste is basically just grainy as well.
F - thin and light.
O - if you think this is going to make you lose weight you probably love it but I'm not on a diet.

2.58/5  rDev +63.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a aple golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some notes of beer. Taste is also mild, a touch of malt, not much going on. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while not the worst light beer I have tried, there is nothing to seperate it from this unremarkable herd.

1.39/5  rDev -12%

Had to try it just to see what the hype was all about. I'm still impressed that this hasn't been retired by the brewery. It's one thing to have a light beer, and it's another thing to have a Light Light Beer. Honestly, I'm struggling to see the purpose to this. If Americans are getting too fat to enjoy a good beer from time to time then they shouldn't be having beer at all. This beer is a waster of money, time, ingredients, and everything else that is put into making this. I'd rather see this removed from the shelves and Crystal Pepsi put in it's place.

1.53/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Pale straw. Fizzy head disappears immediately.
S- It smells like grains steeped in water. If it were stronger it would be like when you forget about that empty bowl of cereal for a couple days.
T- Grainy, slightly metallic. Undeniably watery. Best drunk tremendously cold.
M- Watery. Thin. Initially overcarbed, but by the end the carbonation is gone.
D- Easy to drink, in that it's almost water. Not easy to drink in that it doesn't taste that great.

1.23/5  rDev -22.2%

2.4% really? awesome!!!

Poured into pint glass.

Pours a light layer of white head. Fades away quick. Color is a clear golden yellow.

Aroma: Grains. That is all. This smells more like water than it does beer.

Taste: See aroma. Really. This beer has no beer taste to it. Grains at a very minimal.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and crisp. High carbonation. Light bodied. Ends bland and dry.

Overally, is this a beer or some kind of water? I guess it was easy to drink, but that was because it was basically water. Would I drink it again? No.

1.7/5  rDev +7.6%

12oz clear bottle

Select 55 was pale yellow in color with good clarity. It had a fizzy white head that disappeared instantly. The smell was very light and clean with a bit of cereal grain. The taste was water with a touch of grain thrown in. The mouthfeel was as close to water as you can get with light carbonation. Drinkability was poor. This is the wateriest beer that I have ever tried.

OK so my updated review:

I hate to even admit I have tried this beer, but I have. This should not even be classified as a beer and more as a liquid used to torture our enemies. There is nothing about this beer that could be classified as good except after you drink one you only sacrificed your soul and 55 calories to try it.

Here is why I said the above. This beer has an awful taste that only get worse when it gets warmer. There is no flavor to discuss. I understand this is seems like I am "slamming" this beer. I really am not! There isn't anything to write about with this beer. The mouth feel is almost chalky leaving your mouth dry. The flavor is a a generic American style bud, but with less taste. I would recommend you try another beer if you are looking for a lot cal beer.

2.6/5  rDev +64.6%

A- Well there's not much to say here but should there be? Surprisingly the color is more golden than I was expecting, being darker than the grassy yellow straw that I thought I'd get. That's where the good stops...lots of ginger ale like carbonation rising to the top and very little head initially, which quickly disappears to literally nothing. Also, there is no lacing to speak of, but I didn't have many expectations for the look of this one....

S- Not much to speak of here either, with the standard aromas available. Dry grassy straw, some raw grain and a little skunk sum this one up. No hop bitterness to speak of....just a slight metallic dryness...

T- While there is nothing impressive about the flavor of this beer, I have to admit that for a light beer with only 55 calories that the flavor is about as good as it can get! There is some very mild malt flavors but with a little skunk mixed in. Of course the finish is nothing special other than clean and a bit adjunct-ish.

M- Thin, watery body and with lots of carbonation, but what do you expect?! There isn't much else to say about this but it is crisp and clean which I guess is what it should be!

D- This is a very easy beer to slam back! It's light flavor and heavy carbonation would be killer as a patio beer, but I think it would be more effort than it's worth, having to use the toilet often and not getting the desired buzz effect. I'll stick to a standard macro before this but if I'm having a heavy meal, this might be a compromise. A notch below Bud Select but a notch above MGD 64!

1.43/5  rDev -9.5%

My buddy offered me a sip of this the other night, I think that was all I will need to review this one...

A - Pours pale straw yellow with a fizzy white half finger tall white head leaving no lacing down the glass.

S - Kinda stale. Very faint hops and lightly toasted malt. How do they get people to drink this stuff? It is terrible.

T - I guess people like drinking stuff that tastes this bad. VERY faint hops and light malt. All you can really taste is how watery it is, and that is not a good thing.

M - Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. This feels like I am drinking flavored water. Terrible.

D - Not good. How do you make a terrible beer even worse? You make Budweiser Select 55.

1.53/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clean pale yellow color, some carbonation, with a fizzy little white head, some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy/ricy, slight spice. The taste is watery at best, not much going on here. Light Body. Not Drinkable, a waste of money on this one.

2.95/5  rDev +86.7%

another entry from the lost notebook!

i saw this one in the in laws fridge and had forgotten to bring anything with me that day so i just went with it. poured it into a pint glass and a light golden amber comes through right away. again nothing really crazy here an exactly what i had expected. short lived head and lively carbonation were common place. aroma is light grain, muted and touched by very light hop notes that seem to provide something, but again so light it is really hard to detect. crisp, clean, super light and had virtually no aftertaste. not a terrible beer just a non existent one. too light and overly carbonated but i have had much worse.

1.79/5  rDev +13.3%

A- Thin, watery pale yellow with fizzy white head that fades fast. Looks like gingerale.

S- There is a smell? I tried to find a smell and ended up snorting beer. Faint, faint hint of sweet malt and maybe citrus.

T- Its like watered down, watered down beer. No wonder its low in calories, its basically water with a splash of beer. Very faint sweet taste of malt and corn and thats it.

M- Overly carbonated, thin and watery

D- Harsh and fizzy, watery, boring, and unpleasant.

1.3/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Very light, golden color seems to be almost a by-product rather than a goal...

S: Sweet and very light. Very little character.

T: Harsh. Bad. Like Bud Bight and water mixed 50/50.

M: Heavily carbonated so it's almost like drinking a soda. If a good stout is silky smooth, this is like drinking felt with sand on it.

D: I would highly recommend against it. It's all around bad.

1.89/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured into my Stella glass for maximum enjoyment.

A - Appears as ginger ale with a foamy one finger head that quickly dissipates. Clear and straw colored with very apparent over-carbonation.

S - Smells like chalk, tin, and cheap booze.

T - Completely bland and almost tasteless. It's as if they put cornflakes into a bowl of water and sprinkled dried paint chips in. Grainy aftertaste.

M - Very light but the carbonation is harsh. Not enjoyable.

D - I guess you could session this is you wanted. I would take almost any other light beer over it, though.

1.55/5  rDev -1.9%

Got in a sampler sixer just for the purpose of reviewing, lol.

Yellow and clear with a good head that quickly dissipates into nothing and leaves spotty and minimal lacing.

Doesn't smell at all really. Barely detectable lemony grains are all I can find.

Tastes like a watered down lager with a pinch of lemon.

Feels like water with a little carbonated beer in it.

Drink is a zero but that's not an option so I'll up it to a full 1.0.

Another one I drank as part of losing a bet. Clear bottle poured into straight pint glass. I honestly try to find something positive about every beer I try, but even I couldn't find one nice thing to say about this puppy. Clear, urine color. No grain or hop scents. Almost zero flavor. The same amount of body as a glass of water. Water has a higher level of drinkability because it's not pretending it's not water. Only drink if you lose a bet.

1.15/5  rDev -27.2%

First - the obligatory BA disclaimer - this was left in the fridge and was simply taking up space more worthily occupied by some (any) other brew. I decided I might as well give it a chance. Poured a very light gold. Some vague sweetness in the aroma. Flavor - well, there's the rub - there is none, or, at least almost none. I think I could pretty well replicate this beer by taking a Bud Light, and mixing it with three parts club soda. I am at a loss to understand why anyone, even a light beer fan, would bother to drink this. It is wet. That is about it.

1.06/5  rDev -32.9%

A relative was "nice" enough to leave a bottle of this in the fridge for me. Why not? Many reasons, I find out. First, it pours without almost no color and can't hold a head or produce lacing with the hardest of pours. Smells like a tiny bit of grain and tastes the same. No off flavors, but that's not enough to keep it from getting the "awful" mark. Feel is quite light and overly carbonated. Drinks quickly, but there's absolutely no reason to take a second sip.

1.47/5  rDev -7%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Alright, this beer is fairly pointless. An ABV of 2.4?
Pours straw yellow color kind of like the color of urine.
Smelled like booze.
Taste like water and bland barley.
Very, very thin mouthfeel.
Only drinkable for wimps and people who want to join in beer drinking with people who drink actual beer.

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch