2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser Select 55Budweiser Select 55

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.

(Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 377 | Reviews: 124 | Show All Ratings:
BeerPhan86

1.93/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured into my Stella glass for maximum enjoyment.

A - Appears as ginger ale with a foamy one finger head that quickly dissipates. Clear and straw colored with very apparent over-carbonation.

S - Smells like chalk, tin, and cheap booze.

T - Completely bland and almost tasteless. It's as if they put cornflakes into a bowl of water and sprinkled dried paint chips in. Grainy aftertaste.

M - Very light but the carbonation is harsh. Not enjoyable.

D - I guess you could session this is you wanted. I would take almost any other light beer over it, though.

12-29-2010 02:02:45 | More by BeerPhan86
AlCaponeJunior

1.53/5  rDev -6.1%

Got in a sampler sixer just for the purpose of reviewing, lol.

Yellow and clear with a good head that quickly dissipates into nothing and leaves spotty and minimal lacing.

Doesn't smell at all really. Barely detectable lemony grains are all I can find.

Tastes like a watered down lager with a pinch of lemon.

Feels like water with a little carbonated beer in it.

Drink is a zero but that's not an option so I'll up it to a full 1.0.

11-27-2010 01:26:00 | More by AlCaponeJunior
beertunes

Washington

Another one I drank as part of losing a bet. Clear bottle poured into straight pint glass. I honestly try to find something positive about every beer I try, but even I couldn't find one nice thing to say about this puppy. Clear, urine color. No grain or hop scents. Almost zero flavor. The same amount of body as a glass of water. Water has a higher level of drinkability because it's not pretending it's not water. Only drink if you lose a bet.

11-23-2010 03:21:51 | More by beertunes
Brent

Kentucky

1.13/5  rDev -30.7%

First - the obligatory BA disclaimer - this was left in the fridge and was simply taking up space more worthily occupied by some (any) other brew. I decided I might as well give it a chance. Poured a very light gold. Some vague sweetness in the aroma. Flavor - well, there's the rub - there is none, or, at least almost none. I think I could pretty well replicate this beer by taking a Bud Light, and mixing it with three parts club soda. I am at a loss to understand why anyone, even a light beer fan, would bother to drink this. It is wet. That is about it.

11-12-2010 14:40:58 | More by Brent
Thorpe429

1.05/5  rDev -35.6%

A relative was "nice" enough to leave a bottle of this in the fridge for me. Why not? Many reasons, I find out. First, it pours without almost no color and can't hold a head or produce lacing with the hardest of pours. Smells like a tiny bit of grain and tastes the same. No off flavors, but that's not enough to keep it from getting the "awful" mark. Feel is quite light and overly carbonated. Drinks quickly, but there's absolutely no reason to take a second sip.

10-08-2010 01:21:55 | More by Thorpe429
TheKingofWichita

1.48/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Alright, this beer is fairly pointless. An ABV of 2.4?
Pours straw yellow color kind of like the color of urine.
Smelled like booze.
Taste like water and bland barley.
Very, very thin mouthfeel.
Only drinkable for wimps and people who want to join in beer drinking with people who drink actual beer.

10-05-2010 02:24:39 | More by TheKingofWichita
Nerudamann

Oregon

3.25/5  rDev +99.4%

Look - lighter golden color. Two fingers of head that dissipated pretty quickly. Slow carbonation.

Smell - Not too much smell, but just a tiny whiff of the typical light lager smell: watered down hoppiness.

Taste - More balanced "blandness" than most light lagers. No strong tastes otherwise.

Mouthfeel - Pretty strong on the watery part of the texture scale.

Drinkability - As far as light lagers go, this is a very drinkable beer. It definitely is lacking in complexity, but helps you maintain a buzz after sampling other more "diverse" beers.

09-27-2010 04:52:06 | More by Nerudamann
APKurt

2.95/5  rDev +81%

I got a great laugh from reading all the reviews of Select 55. I actually consume quite a lot of this stuff and it's really quite drinkable.

For all of you who are wondering why anyone would drink Select 55, here's the reason: it's pretty easy to drink a LOT of alcohol every damn night. Especially because I find it very difficult to grill my dinner without a beer in my hand.

I prefer IPAs and stouts with the occasional whit on warm summer evenings. I also like smokey Islay scotches and sweet bourbons depending on my mood. And, I like beer! I don't want to sit around sipping Perrier or diet soda every evening. With Select 55 I can enjoy the taste of an Arrogant Bastard or a Woodford Reserve to start off the evening and then drink four or five Select 55's without getting hammered or putting on 10 lbs a week. Five or six Lagunitas IPAs or Lagavulins every night would do some damage over time.

The taste of Select 55 is decent (i.e. non-offensive) and they go down nice and easy. It's light and pleasantly carbonated with just enough alcohol to take the edge off after a 10 hour work day. 55 is also perfect for camping or the beach when you literally could down a case of these throughout the day and not get hammered or sick. No it's not an objectively great beer, but it's perfect for what it is and therefore one of my "favorite" daily drinkers.

09-21-2010 07:31:46 | More by APKurt
tjsdomer2

3.08/5  rDev +89%

Appearance: Ok head retention. Almost no carbonation upon opening, although you do get a fair amount when you shake it a bit. Overall, it's ok, but not great.

Smell: Mostly a grainy beer smell. I can't really describe this as anything else. It doesn't smell bad or skunked by any means. I can dig this on a basical level.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This stuff does not taste bad. Clean corn-like cereal grain. Like the smell, the taste does not have any bad qualities. The mouthfeel, however, leaves much to be desired. Extremely watery. Not slimy though, so that keeps this from getting a bad grade in this area.

Drinkability: No offensive smell or taste. Smooth, watery finish. All of these qualities make this pretty easy to drink.

Overall: Not a world-class beer by any means. Yet I find some surprisingly pleasant qualities with this. It smells ok, tastes ok, and is very easy to drink, which I think is the point of this beer. On these grounds, I give Budweiser Select 55 a thumbs up as a decent, albeit not great, beer.

09-07-2010 05:04:32 | More by tjsdomer2
EgadBananas

Louisiana

2.15/5  rDev +31.9%

A - Very pale, very see through. A finger of head was produce, but literally in an instant, it was gone! But, it's a-typical.

S - Nothing on the smell. A little sweet corn, maybe grains. Everything is faint. There some metallic notes I'm not liking.

T - Minimal. Even for a light lager, it's just next to nothing, with this awful grainy aftertaste.

M - It's like water, need I continue?

D - It's easy to drink, but that does not equate to desirable.

On to the chug to end this nightmare...

08-25-2010 23:11:02 | More by EgadBananas
Natainos

2.63/5  rDev +61.3%

A: Corny color

S: nothing good, light to no aroma

T: cold with a few drops of Lemon/ Lime juice, it adds a little flavor to this tasteless watery beer.

Mothfeel: combination galore to watery

drinkability: Sure for the few calories, why not or not.

08-24-2010 01:05:54 | More by Natainos
SeattleSteveK

3.63/5  rDev +122.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

This is Hi-Tech Beer !

(like the computer you are using to view this review)

I'd challenge anyone to home-brew or even take the time to brew this beer.

This beer (?)/beverage is like malt flavored bottled water with a bit of a buzz. Judged on this premise, it can be AWE-some ! I wish I could drink this from my water bottle at work ! .. or on the bus, or in public ! :-)

Disclaimer: I've been doing ANA (Atkins, low carb) so I appreciate a low carb beer.

I can easily have fun drinking 4-6 of these to come up with a decent review and not get too buzzed ! 2.6 % ABV ? Damn ! .. maybe AB has re-invented the English Mild :-p (low carb).

On Sale and in a can, I like this stuff. I buy it for about $ 14 per 18 pack, and compared to other low carb food, that's a damn good deal. Compared to bottled water it's pretty good too, plus a malt back and buzz. I'm not CRAZY; I'm not gonna pay top $ for this stuff.

It has a watery initial flavor, some mid flavor and an every so slightly malty after taste.

I serve this from a can, into a glass. I like to see this beer. I drink with pleasure and don't slam these. Do you 'slam' your premium bottled water ?

This brand is probably like "Pepsi One vs. Coke Zero" -- Miller 64 vs. AB Select 55, but I hope they keep the category.

For Buzz, 3 of these is pretty close to 1 12 oz. 8 % beers. with a way less carbs !

Maybe a designated driver could have one of these when out with a group .. Just One .. with some food ... maybe get a bit of a buzz which would soon be gone.

If Bud or any American mega beer is BEER, then so is this. (or a malty, watery beverage, brewed, and with a bit of a buzz)

An Ultimate Lawnmover Beer .. to have a couple or few before and after mowing the lawn !

08-21-2010 07:20:03 | More by SeattleSteveK
thagr81us

South Carolina

1.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Got this one for free out of a buddy's fridge. Had just gotten back from the Foothills Baltic Porter release and needed to sober up some, this was my first choice. Served from bottle into a Corona Extra shaker. Poured golden yellow with a one finger white head that died a very swift death. There was no lacing evident throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt, wheat, and URINE!? The flavor was of water, grain, and malt; mostly water however. It was light on the palate with low carbonation. Overall my question is, where did the flavor go??? However, I am glad that the urine I picked up on in the aroma stayed in the aroma and didn't hit my palate. This one was nice for sobering up, but that's about it...

08-16-2010 18:56:01 | More by thagr81us
morebeergood

2.2/5  rDev +35%

A friend left one lonely can in my fridge after a get together this past weekend. I figured I'd pop it open last night and finish it off. Poured into a pils glass. Very light yellow body, with moderate carbonation. Small fizzy head. Smell was nonexistent. Taste also was pretty much absent. Barely more flavor than water. Mouthfeel had some bubbles to it, and it was an easy beer to drink, which is what AB is looking for. But at 2.4% abv, what's the point? Since it's basically a non-alcoholic beer, you'd be better off drinking a lemonade. At least that has some flavor and "low calories".

08-10-2010 15:52:26 | More by morebeergood
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.28/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From the 12 fl. oz. can marked 07MAY10-WF09. Sampled on August 8, 2010. The pour is mainly yellow with a slight golden hue and a short-lived fizzy white head. The aroma is full of rice adjuncts but also there is a thin hoppy coating as well as a very fine pine-like scent. The body is not as watered down as many light beers I have had but I would not call it medium by any stretch of the imagination. There is a weak maltiness in the mix and a clean hopped shadow but nothing pounces out. Looking at this beer in an objective fashion it is very typical of light macros but not offensive.

08-08-2010 23:08:56 | More by puboflyons
bbkd3b

1.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Okay... I'd like to give this beer a chance. So I'm going into this with a completely open mind and a "1984" sort of grim optimism. With that, I poured this beer in a pint glass.

A - Okay, off to a... decent start, I suppose. It's a golden color with surprisingly good carbonation. However, there is absolutely NO head on this, so it looks more like apple juice... but hey, I like apple juice so there's a plus.

S - A very slight hint of grains... and just a wee-bit of alcohol. Virtually not there.

T - Honest to goodness... Nothing. It tastes closer to Perrier than beer.

M - Thin, watery, but at least it has good carbonation. It gives it a bit of crispness that would otherwise be absent.

D - I'll struggle through the 2 I have, but after that, I will never drink this again.

Overall/notes - I'm moving and under a lot of stress, so my cousin gave me two of these as a sort of pick-me-up. In all honesty, I'm not going to make some sarcastic remark about it. After all, this is a beer with 55 calories. How does one review that? It accomplishes what it sets out to do: have the lightest beer possible. That, however, doesn't absolve it of all of the numerous faults it has. Just not a good beer and not even worth the can it comes in.

07-31-2010 02:25:04 | More by bbkd3b
beershrine

1.7/5  rDev +4.3%

A- Ordered this at the Baseball game right! thinking anything will taste good. In the thin plastic cup it's appearance was cloudy.

S- Tiny whiff of alcohol and co2

T- tasted useless...little malt zero hops.

M- i almost wanted my money back. Quite tasteless I guess for some people it's all what your use to.

D- If I drank these all day these will never quench my thirst. A useless product that doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

Serving type: Draft - 16oz for $ 7.50 -- baseball price

07-30-2010 20:56:18 | More by beershrine
CHickman

2.2/5  rDev +35%

Pours completely clear light gold and almost completely devoid of any color with a 1 finger foamy white head that faded quickly; looks like water and yet it still had decent lacing, which is strange.

Smells like grains, hay and grass, and barely had any odor at all. Very weak nose overall.

Tastes like grains, hay, lemon, grass, faint citrus hops and some very light caramel. Basically it tasted like club soda poured into a beer glass with a little beer left over at the bottom.

Mouthfeel was light, crisp and watery with very light carbonation and a refreshing feel that helped this beer go down fast and easy.

It's easy drinking, extremely light and lacks any real flavor. Great if you are looking to drink something that resembles beer, but this is not what is beer is about. This is 12 ounces of liquid to rehyrate with in between tasty beers.

07-30-2010 03:22:15 | More by CHickman
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.15/5  rDev +31.9%

One 'souvenir' of a somewhat ill-advised scorched-earth invasion of small-town Washington State...

This beer pours a clear, surprisingly medium golden colour, with one finger of rapidly dissipating soapy white head, which leaves nary a speck of lace around the glass as evidence of its existence. It smells of very diluted white grain, and nothing else. The taste is a soul-deadening experience - Casper the Ghost in beer form. No skunk, no off-flavours, just a very tame graininess, and then, zilch. Nothing offensive, nothing good. Just nothing. Like slightly malted water. The carbonation is lower than average, the body like water exposed to a potato for a hour or so, and it finishes with a mild twinge of cheap lager, to complement that Dasani water quality.

I'm actually quite surprised - the only way that this is truly offensive is in its concept - as for its execution, it is just a very, very mild lager - no skunk factor whatsoever. Just like your go-to grocery store bottled water. However, that defence falls short - this is supposed to be BEER!

07-21-2010 02:51:03 | More by biboergosum
DrJay

1.78/5  rDev +9.2%

Crystal clear and a darker yellow (almost gold) than I expected. A fizzy white cap disappeared shortly after the pour, leaving nothing on the sides of the glass. Light grainy aroma, faint apple, slightly vegetal - not much to talk about really. Low bitterness, minerals, cereal grains, metallic and watery finish. Thin bodied, sharp carbonation, super dry. Sort of tastes like carbonated water with a little bit of flavour added. Not much point here, as I expected - time to move along.

07-11-2010 23:11:55 | More by DrJay
LuthersMug

1.73/5  rDev +6.1%

This is not a beer I would spend money on, but I was over at my in-laws and was offered one, so I gave it a try.

A - The beer was amber in color with a large light head that dissipated after a minute in the glass. No lacing during the remainder of the drink.

S - Not much going, maybe rice or corn.

T - I recently watched King Corn and in the documentary the producers bemoaned the fact that almost all the corn produced in the US is inedible and bland. The corn is only useful after being manipulated in some way. The taste of the beer reminded me of the corn, tasteless, bland. Why not just drink water?

M - Carbonation was light and decent.

D - You would probably have to drink 3 or 4 fairly quickly to feel the effects. Not worth it to me, but maybe for some.

06-28-2010 23:25:40 | More by LuthersMug
pb9613

This beer is extremely pale and if you have a powerful imagination, you may notice a head.

There is little to no hops or malt aroma to this beer.

One taste of this beer will tell understand that Budweiser needed to take out anytihng that might add calories to get down to 55 calories which obviously included taste.

This beer has the same mouth feel as soda water with yellow food coloring.

You can drink (just barely) this beer which is its only positive.

If you like paying excessively high prices for bottled water, this beer is for you.

06-25-2010 01:49:06 | More by pb9613
WealthyTiger

British Columbia (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev +77.9%

Okay where do i begin with this one, This is one of those beers that you buy if your going to a party but need to drive home. That way you can still have a 6 pack and be under the legal limit LOL. The beer has got no taste to it really, the taste is just like any other widely produced beer.

The drinability on it is outstanding im sure i got put down a whole 24 pack easily.

The only thing I can say about this beer that is good is that its good for barbeques and partys where you don't want to get drunk but you do want something to drink.

05-28-2010 02:59:37 | More by WealthyTiger
Bookseeb

2.68/5  rDev +64.4%

Appearance seems no different than any other macro with light golden body and a thin crisp dissapating head. Smell is clean that has a light aroma of grainy adjuncts. Taste of light grain that is definably watered down that ends dry. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. I'd have to say that amongst the ultra's that I've tried so far, this aint to bad.

05-22-2010 23:45:19 | More by Bookseeb
Fredk24

3.45/5  rDev +111.7%

I drank this beer alongside other super light beers--MGD 64 and Michelob Ultra.

Out of the three, the Ultra 55 is definitely the best. MGD 64 was the worst. Mic Ultra wasn't far behind the MGD.

I rated the appearance as 4.0. Quite frankly, it's a light, straw colored liquid. I'm not sure what this metric is supposed to gauge. It looks like a liquid. If there aren't metal shavings in a beer, I'll drink it.

I was drinking this out of a pint glass. There wasn't much of a smell, but I wasn't expecting one. It had a faint smell of grain.

For a beer with 55 calories, the taste was pretty good. Very muted.

hatersgonnahate.jpg

I'd prefer this over BL, BL Lime, and Sunset Wheat.

05-12-2010 17:14:24 | More by Fredk24