1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser Select 55 - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser Select 55Budweiser Select 55

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  2.40% ABV

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.

(Beer added by: jsh420 on 09-09-2009)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 375 | Reviews: 124 | Show All Ratings:
jwc215

Wisconsin

1.9/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours golden with a white head that becomes a white patch - Lacing sticks. Decent appearance for the style.

The smell is of mild grain - maybe...not much of anything in aroma, though. Clean, but vacant.

The taste is cardboard-ish with tonic water - a bit of sweetness. Extremely bland, even for a very light "beer".

The feel is all fizz.

This is not good, even for a macro light lager. Why bother... might as well drink tonic water...in fact, I probably would prefer to, would be less cardboardy.

05-11-2010 19:14:52 | More by jwc215
huxcrunner

1.38/5  rDev -15.3%

appearance is a very very pale yellow with pretty much no head

not much happening for smell no hops no malts coming thru really nothing at all

taste is so light that you cant even tell there is alcohol in it there is not real hint of hops or malt flavor just some carbonation, it might as well be odouls

it has a clean mouthfeel but that is due to the lack of really anything in it

it has good drinkable but taste is so light that if your looking for some sort of beer flavor but if you want a light beer this is not for you get a real light beer this is not a good beer and should be avoided

05-01-2010 21:16:31 | More by huxcrunner
omowasu

1.3/5  rDev -20.2%

Oh man, this stuff is awful. Had a 12-pack mysteriously left in my car after a night out, now I know why.

Select 55 tastes exactly like club soda. There are practically no malt or hop flavors, nothing. Think of a club soda with a squeeze of old lemon and a small dash of bitters.

Frankly, this stuff would be better used as a seltzer water for mixing with inferior Scotch whiskies. It could find a niche there.

One thing Select 55 is, is thirst-quenching. Due to the lack of any flavor or body, I suppose one could hang out after a long jog or ride while wearing spandex with their "buddies" and quench their thirst with these. Other than that, there is really no place for this beer in a mans fridge.

04-22-2010 00:58:14 | More by omowasu
nicholas2121

2.1/5  rDev +28.8%

Budweiser Select 55 is a Beer made by Anheuser-Busch. This is the Lighter of Budweiser select. This is just a water down beer. No taste at all. I feel that this beer is way over priced for what it is. There is little to NO head on this beer. The drinkability is ok but you will not get anywhere with this beer. This beer is like drinking Busch NA. Over all I would not buy this unless you like Light Light Beers.

04-18-2010 17:16:39 | More by nicholas2121
cheesepuffs

Connecticut

1.05/5  rDev -35.6%

Appearance - You can see through this beer as you can see through the cost-cutting of AB. The color is a crystal clear hue of honey. Some fizzy lacing that subsides in an instant. The look isn't offensive though.

Smell - The smell isn't skunky (there isn't actually enough beer in this drink to skunk in the first place...), but it isn't remotely pleasing to the nose either. The anemic aroma when you press your nose close to the glass is artificial, and of adjunct origin.

Taste - As others have pointed out, it does taste like seltzer water. Seltzer water that has been gargled in the mouth of a larva eating baboon, and spit out into the beak of a Manhattan pigeon which later pissed it out onto Fifth Avenue, to be licked off of the hot blacktop by none other than yours truly. The fact that Budweiser proclaims it to be a "Premium Light Beer" prominently on the label is comical, as this is neither premium, nor beer. As far as the "light" goes - well I wish the folks at AB would turn one on so I could potentially see the reason as to why one would spend their pay on this rubbish. Awful aftertaste to boot.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is the overwhelming factor here. It isn't particularly smooth nor harsh.

Drinkability - I really can't even imagine someone who doesn't drink beer, liking this beer. You might assume that because it's watery, it would be a good social beer, but in my opinion it doesn't even hold that value. A first time or occasional beer drinker would only turn the other cheek as soon as they realized they could be drinking alka-seltzer for less money. It really isn't drinkable or refreshing.

Do yourself a favor, and at the bar or package store, select a different brew.

04-17-2010 19:57:52 | More by cheesepuffs
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

2.73/5  rDev +67.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz clear bottle purchased (cheaply) at the local Hannaford's. Pours a crystal clear very light straw yellow with an initial white head that dissipates almost immediately. Smells mostly like cooked corn with hints of malt in the background. Tastes very light. Cooked corn (DMS) and slight hints at bready malt character toward the finish is all I'm getting. Extremely light-bodied with moderate carbonation. Pretty drinkable, no surprise since this basically comes off as beer-flavored carbonated water. Dull and lifeless, albeit somewhat refreshing.

04-07-2010 22:27:07 | More by MrHurmateeowish
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

1.58/5  rDev -3.1%

Born on: Jan 25, 2010.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, pale gold body with a fizzy white head that gasses out in mere seconds.

Smell: "Ugh, it smells awful." --TheLibrarianGirl. Come on, TLG, no spoilers. Sourish, stale-scented grains in the nose that gets mustier as it warms. Very unappealing.

Taste: Grainy, slightly metallic taste with very, very little sweetness. No real hop character or bitterness. Weak, watery finish. Unpleasant and unenjoyable like off-tasting seltzer water. There are no real redeeming factors here.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied with a truly watery mouthfeel. Fizzy carbonation.

Drinkability: Yeesh. The stuff they have the nerve to slap the word "premium" onto... Steer clear of this one, friends. Bud 55 is an awful beverage for those that feel Bud Light is simply too rich and filling.

03-29-2010 19:25:39 | More by ChainGangGuy
nova30

2.05/5  rDev +25.8%

It is the most watered down beer i have ever tryed.i like the regular bud select.but a 55cal beer?they need a new catagory supper light beer.with miller having really light beer it was only a matter of time before bud and coors will come out with one to.who counts calories so much they will drink this stuff.thank the beer gods for sam adams light

03-25-2010 21:25:03 | More by nova30
Wetpaperbag

Washington

1.63/5  rDev 0%

Thanks for AKBelgianBeast for this one in that I lost the LNBA FF.

Alright so the Select variety of bud is supposed to be better then regular bud, at least that is the theory. Since I haven't had the regular Select version I don't know how this is supposed to be. But I'll give it a shot, and I'm stuck with two of them.

A- This looks like someone added a little bit of beer and poured water into it. My wife even asked if I watered down my beer.

S- Smells like barley tea and not much else. There is something sort of sweet smelling too.

T- Did someone accidentally put a touch of beer into my water? Wow this is weak sauce. Why even bother with this? I'm completely blown away on how much this is just carbinated water with a bit of beer in it. I wonder if the people at bud said, "Hey lets increase profit by taking our beer and cutting it down in half and selling it for the same as our regular line up." Well if people buy this beer on a regular basis they are stupid. Yeah you only get 55 calories, but you'll be drinking a case and a half before you get a buzz.

M- Thin as tonic water.

D- Yeah though a bong this would go down smooth.

03-23-2010 03:57:19 | More by Wetpaperbag
chaunur

Kentucky

1.4/5  rDev -14.1%

Thank God I didn't pay for it, the Bud girls were at the bar giving out free samples, actually very few people would partake, only did because I felt sorry for them...a mistake.

Poured a clear nearly colorless into a pint glass. A thin white head that disappeared instantly, more like a soda water head than a beer head. Smelled like a soda water also, hell tasted like soda water too! No flavor, no texture, no reason to drink it!

03-17-2010 18:31:32 | More by chaunur
KarlHungus

1.3/5  rDev -20.2%

This beer pours a clear golden color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes within ten seconds into absolutely no lacing. I don't think I have ever viewed a beer with this little lacing. I mean usually there is at least a tiny ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass, but not in this beer. It really doesn't look like a beer. The aroma seems to have gone where ever the head did. That is to say it smells like water....upon closer inspection there is a little something there making it smell more like tainted water. Truly awful. It would be better if it just didn't have a smell. The taste is like carbonated water. The mouthfeel is the thinnest I have every encountered in a beer which makes sense being that this beer is only 55 calories, and a mere 2.4% ABV. I can handle the thin body, but this beers under carbonation is a huge detractor. I never thought I'd say a beer brewed by Anheuser-Busch is under carbonated, but this beer truly is. There is some carbonation to it, but not enough for a light lager. Overall, this is a really bad beer. I will never drink this again.

03-13-2010 00:10:44 | More by KarlHungus
Halcyondays

1.02/5  rDev -37.4%

12 oz. bottle, I can't believe I actually paid for this,

A: Pours yellow with a really fizzy white head, poor retention.

S: Carbonic acid and very light hints of cereal grains.

T: Seltzer water, Alka-Seltzer - this is not a flavour I like. Carbonic acid, that's it. Not even a smidge of malt.

M: Mouthfeel of club soda, way overcarbonated since the body is so light it fluffs up in your mouth and is annoying.

D: After a couple of drinks I'm bored. Really what's the point anymore. Drainpour. This beer is so light it makes Michelob Ultra look like Yeti.

03-12-2010 23:04:03 | More by Halcyondays
jcm8756

1.55/5  rDev -4.9%

A: This beer looks like a typical light beer.

S: Doesn't even smell like beer.

T: Initially tastes like water and then the aftertaste kicks in which is pretty much Alkaseltzer.

M: Extra light with high carbonation.

D: I guess I could drink a case of these but again but really, why bother?

NOTES: If someone is so concerned about the calories in beer that they can't even drink a typical light beer, they probably shouldn't be drinking beer. Just drink water instead of this stuff.

03-11-2010 01:56:34 | More by jcm8756
glamphetamine

1.83/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Urine. Seriously, it looks like a glass of urine. It leaves a decent lacing on the glass but, yeah, so does urine.

S - Ever strain the water out of a can of corn? It's like a shot of that dumped into a gallon of distilled water.

T - What taste? Seriously, there's nothing. At least with tap water I taste flouride and metal. Know how the Marlboro Man welcomes you to flavor country? This beer gets you kicked the hell out into, like, Delaware. This is the Dane Cook of light beers.

M - Frothy and unpleasant, like a worn-out whore. Alka-Seltzerish.

D - If drinkability is characteristic of a beer's ease of consumption, sho' nuff. If I was struck blind, and asked someone for a glass of water, they could fool me with this. Thought I might accuse them of having peed in my glass.

03-05-2010 02:04:42 | More by glamphetamine
Vancer

1.55/5  rDev -4.9%

The only thing remotely resembling beer is the pour, faint straw yellow with no head or lace. No aroma or taste either, this is just a glass of water with a dollop of grain and rice tossed in for beer effect. Thankfully, I was given one and did not lay down any hard earned money on it.

With this, I wrap up my reviewing days.

02-28-2010 18:22:54 | More by Vancer
Tone

Missouri

2.63/5  rDev +61.3%

Pours a clear, pale gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of pale malt, slight yeast, metallic, very slight citrus, and grain. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of metallic, yeast, pale malt, and grain. Overall, almost no body, definitely drinkable, but so is water?

02-24-2010 23:35:37 | More by Tone
lbaker

Indiana

1.3/5  rDev -20.2%

My wife bought these as a part of her diet...here we go...

(a) Pours an extreme pale color, very see through, highly carbonated. (1/5)

(s) Corn? What the hell is that (1/5)

(t) Wow. If you have to drink this on a diet lets just let go of beer for good and treat it like a great beer fast. This is silly nasty. (1/5)

(m) The only mouthfell here is attributed to its high amount of carbonation. Nothing complex here to remember. This is what I imagine a mouth full of piss to be like. (2/5)

(d)If I could get past the taste I could probably drink Bud's supply of this brew, and I'd be sober enough to remember just how horrible each one was. (2/5)

02-21-2010 06:42:55 | More by lbaker
Brad007

Vermont

1.25/5  rDev -23.3%

A 55 calorie beer? Wonder what kind of trainwreck this will be?

Pours a dark golden color with a one-finger head into my pint glass. Looks to be highly carbonated. Dull presentation.

Aroma is full of grainy malt and nothing much else. Sweet and similar to NA beer.

Taste is grainy and watery with only a hint of adjunct and an unpleasant, slightly-metallic taste in the middle.

Carbonation is similar to that of soda or NA beer. Unpleasant lingering taste. Watery

Avoid like the plague. This is just overkill and the very reason why AB/InBev is cannibalizing itself in the name of profits. They just don't understand that it's not calories but rather carbs. Waste of money.

02-21-2010 04:58:21 | More by Brad007
woodychandler

2.3/5  rDev +41.1%

I CAN see giving A-BInBev another shot today since with the blowing snow, I CANnot leave the house at this point. Feel free to come along on the CANQuest.

The two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head were reminiscent of the blowing, drifting snow out my back window. The head held up so poorly that I wished that the snow could take its cue from the beer. CAN nothing cheer me up today? The color was a pretty deep-gold with NE-quality clarity, like a ray of sunshine on this snow-white afternoon. That was nice. Nose had a faint lager-sweetness, but only faint. Mouthfeel was thin and watery with only a light sweet taste on the tongue. Finish was equally watery and did not leave me with much of any taste, pleasant or not. It was really a bland beer, overall, and while not worthy of outright avoidance, I would not seek it out unless you are on a CANQuest.

02-10-2010 18:46:43 | More by woodychandler
oldcrustacean

Connecticut

Rate this beer for what it is, not what you want it to be.

The clearest beer on the planet - pristine & true. I can taste the fine malted barley and fresh hops. After a long bike ride I could easily drink a keg of this stuff. Not only would it be refreshing, but it would also replenish my lost electrolytes. I want something light after working out. It's easy for brewers to hide mistakes in the sludge-like consistency of an imperial stout, but there is no room to hide anything in Bud Select 55. Luckily there are no mistakes. It's perfect. Gulpable all day long.

A:
Beautiful & golden.

S:
Smells like I'm standing over a kettle of boiling wort. Delicious.

T:
Hints of biscuit and passion fruit. Toffee.

M:
Smooth like teflon. Like drinking marshmellow flush warmed in the microwave. Slides right down my beer hole.

D:
Like I said, I could drink this by the keg. I'm going to be using Bud Select 55 instead of water on some of my longer endurance rides this spring.

02-09-2010 20:50:48 | More by oldcrustacean
travduke

2.3/5  rDev +41.1%

My distributor tossed me one of these to try. No matter the style of I beer I like to try everything I sell to talk to my customers about it.

Appearance: Pours a light pale almost clear yellow body, a little head that quickly dissipates. Surprisingly a little lacing does stick. High carbonation.

Smell: Grain. Maybe corn? I'm not too familiar with the smell. Not a lot going on here.

Taste: Taste is about the same as the smell except for a weird aftertaste. I can't exactly figure out what it is, maybe I don't want to.

Drinkability: This goes down like water, as it should. The drinkability is extremely high even though its not tasty, it goes down easy and the low ABV helps.

02-05-2010 03:24:45 | More by travduke
bonbright7

2.25/5  rDev +38%

I had to laugh when I saw this in my favorite beer store as it was a new item. So, it beats Miller 64 by 9 calories? I thought I would give it a try. It looked to be okay, but it's aroma was mostly of corn and faint wheat. The taste was better than I expected, though it lacked any after effects, other than mild carbonation.

02-01-2010 04:45:54 | More by bonbright7
BEERchitect

Kentucky

1.78/5  rDev +9.2%

Select 55 hits the glass with a fizzy, over-carbonated pour with lots of aggression and anger. Straw in color, the beer is crystal clear. The carbonation fuels a light lace of foam and there's actually a bit of lacing. The appearance is on par for most German Helles.

Faint aroma of grain.... and that's about it to the nose. A quick mention of sulfurs, apple, and corn could make the notes on aroma a bit more thorough but really, it's a stretch.

More grain in the flavor, accompanied by a harsh minerally taste that kills any of the lighter malt compounds. A light corn flavored sweetness emerges in the finish and aftertaste. Metallic and grainy.

The thin mouthfeel and over carbonation gives a harsh carbonic bite that nearly stings the tongue. The beer feels (and tastes) a lot like Alka-Seltzer.

I was hoping to find a clean beer that was void of both meaningful flavor and flaws. Looks like I was right about the meaningful flavor omition....

01-26-2010 02:52:06 | More by BEERchitect
zeff80

Missouri

1.2/5  rDev -26.4%

I don't know what to say aside from I'm glad it was free. To say it looks like a light lager would be inaccurate. It was lighter and more clear than any other beer I've seen. I can't say I smelled anything. Is that possible? As for the flavor, it honestly tastes like a 50-50 mix of Bud Light and water. Guess what? The mouthfeel was watery and thin. Drinkability is where this beer takes off. It's low calorie, has no awful bitterness that most adjunct lagers have, and it's low ABV makes it extremely sessionable. I imagine you'd have to drink a case to get a buzz which would counteract the low calorie effect. I guess you win some and you lose some.

01-08-2010 23:43:53 | More by zeff80
hardy008

1.18/5  rDev -27.6%

Had this at a New Years Eve get together. Pours a pale yellow color with a thin white head which faded immediately. Almost no aroma, some cooked rice is about it. Same for the flavor. Not much going on here either. Feels thin and watery, carbonation is ok. This was a boring beer to drink.

01-01-2010 14:56:28 | More by hardy008