1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

O'Doul'sO'Doul's

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
Ratings: 347 | Reviews: 151 | Show All Ratings:
palliko

1.63/5  rDev -20.9%

Appearance is that of tap water. Aroma contains a skunkiness usually only encountered in Mexican beers – some hops and some malt.
Initial taste is that of a watery barley. One gets the impression of beer from this N/A “beer” but there is total lack of flavor and complexity.

07-11-2005 07:11:21 | More by palliko
alleykatking

Indiana

1.63/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light straw yellow color. One finger white head shows medium retention leaving a small collar on the beer itself. Very light streaks of lace on the sides of the glass.

S- Sweet bready malts and cereal grain. Not much else really going on here that I can tell. It's not really appealing to me although I didn't expect it to be.

T- Sweet bready malts in the front of this clashes with a cereal corn off flavor. Alcohol like flavor comes in but it also coats the tongue in a weird flavor I can't place my finger on. Light hop flavor on the backend with a hint of metallic tinge toward the final ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style I suppose. Sweet malts and cereal grain left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly sweet hints of malts and alcohol (which there is so little) along with cereal grains. Light drying on the palate but it's not from the alcohol. Metallic off flavors which are common in a lot of BMC products I know. Flavors are balanced for the style.

D- This beer is not bad for what it is suppose to be. My palate though after first sip started to feel this weird numbing feeling which is why I rated it as low as I did. Not a beer I want to visit again but glad I tried it at least once.

01-19-2011 02:02:30 | More by alleykatking
DogFood11

1.53/5  rDev -25.7%

Eeeeek ghaaad.... The things I do for you guys....I've had this in the past but had to get it on tap to review for you guys as I feel its my duty. Chili's in westwood had this on tap for a short time and I'm reviewing this off notes, it still raises hairs. poured a flat super clear light golden color with high carbonation. I thought it smelled like a wheat festival. I know what this beer is trying to be but it is awful at acheiving any taste or body that is interesting at all. Drinkability is low as well because its not interesting in th least....no thanks.

08-31-2005 06:25:25 | More by DogFood11
hero27

1.5/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz green bottle. 0.5% abv.

Clear, light gold color. Head looks like styrofoam and leaves nothing on the glass. I grew up on a farm in small-town Iowa..along with the usual raccoons, possums, and other pests..I have shot & killed plenty of skunks in my day. This beer brings me back in time.. while the skunk smell slowly fades, it turns into a mostly grainy, bland, corn-husk aroma. The taste is fairly clean, while succeeding in having almost no flavor whatsoever. Like water with beer flavoring...I struggle to drink this before it gets any warmer.

I question why anyone would actually purchase this product (and admittedly, I've never understood the point of N/A beer). If you're the designated driver, then drink fruit juice, pop, water...anything...i mean, why this? Luckily, this one was free.

06-12-2006 05:34:22 | More by hero27
vdread

1.5/5  rDev -27.2%

O'Doul's Premium Non Alcoholic Brew pours a pale straw with a fizzy white head. no surprises here. it's darker than water, but lighter than piss. the head disappears in seconds.

smells of grainy adjuncts. there is a light pilsner-like malt presence, and nothing else. there may be a slight floral hop note, but it's indistinguishable.

tastes heavy with cereal, light bready malt (very light), and a confusing aftertaste. it's watery, light, and what little flavor present is off-putting.

mouthfeel light, highly carbonated.

even though i have reason to believe that this bottle was skunked, i couldn't or wouldn't willingly drink this again. it's too bad that alcoholics have to deal with this sort of punishment. yugh! im going to pour this out and grab a Bigfoot

05-31-2010 22:01:51 | More by vdread
guinness33

1.45/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

i really don't understand the point of non-alcoholic brew, but i'll try anything, so here goes: actually poured a nicer colour than expected. still piss yellow all the same but slightly deeper than the standard a-b piss yellow. that's the only thing going for this one, which isn't very impressive. the green bottle brought the exoected skunky flavouring, which prevailed over any other tastes here, which were pretty much non-existant save for a slight hint of maltiness every now and again. watery, watery, watery. not very enjoyable. kinda like (bad) beer flavoured seltzer water.

05-16-2003 13:12:50 | More by guinness33
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

1.45/5  rDev -29.6%

There simply isn't much to be said about this low alcohol beer... It's as clear as it gets, as pale as it gets. No other nose than boring cereals, carbonated water taste with an unpleasant aftertaste This is foul, devoided of taste, perhaps one of the less tasty beers I've ever had. Must avoid.

09-28-2004 15:56:51 | More by Rastacouere
AlexJ

1.45/5  rDev -29.6%

sampled out of sheer morbid curiosity (fiancee's father is diabetic).

pale straw yellow in color, white head has sprite-like appearance before it disappears.

aroma is metallic cereal and grain, cut grass or hay, and wierd corny sweetness

taste is similar, yet even more diluted. beer flavored seltzer. like a malto goya but less sweet

razor thin body and diet soda mouthfeel. if you can not drink beer, stick to water, it's better than this.

07-31-2005 19:28:06 | More by AlexJ
ByMySword

1.45/5  rDev -29.6%

Appearance: There was a quick dissipating head that was very disappointing to see; however, there was ample carbonation and a decent color that fit the brew.

Smell: This beer had a tinge of skunky smell that was a severe disappointment.

Taste: Surprisingly, not as bad as the smell, but not great either. It was very bland.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation was this beer's saving grace; however, like many large distribution beers, this beer tasted watered down.

Overall: This was my first low alcohol beer and my expectations were somewhat met concerning it. The biggest disappointment was the smell. The greatest attribute was the heavy carbonation which successfully served as a helpful reminder that you were drinking a beer, despite its low alcohol content.

05-19-2012 01:40:24 | More by ByMySword
DrunkMcDermott

1.43/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours too big a head out of the bottle, like a heavily processed head-like aglommeration. Color is the usual Budweiser pale straw. Can't pick up odor at all, but I guess no smell is better than a bad smell, so extra points there. Taste seems sometimes nonexistent, sometimes like some mutant strain of sugar, and where the hell are the hops? That six of Clausthaler I had is really starting to look much better, in retrospect. Gassy as any other AB product.

09-01-2004 15:50:32 | More by DrunkMcDermott
rye726

Colorado

1.43/5  rDev -30.6%

This was my first and only non alcoholic beer ever. I just can't justify this over water. It looks ok with a yellow color and faint tan head. Neither the nose or taste are anything worth while. Bland bitter grains. The body is light and fizzy like soda. I really will never drink this again.

05-20-2008 06:18:17 | More by rye726
jayhawk73

Maryland

1.43/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours a light fizzy yellow color w/ a sliver of a white head. Looks like soda to me. Nose is corn, grain, and malt. Very weak, and really not much there. Taste is mainly grain, with weak malt. Very weak, and fairly horrid. Feel is undercarbonated, fizzy and horrible aftertaste. Ugh. Overall, I wouldn't recommend anyone try this, unless you enjoy the style.

01-21-2012 02:19:17 | More by jayhawk73
hotstuff

Indiana

1.4/5  rDev -32%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

When I poured this beer into my glass, it poured a large white creamy head with small-medium sized bubbles.The body was clear with carbonation and the hue was yellow.There was good lacing with this beer.The flavor was relatively smooth and the mouthfeel was watery and thin.

07-25-2003 12:28:20 | More by hotstuff
Georgiabeer

Georgia

1.4/5  rDev -32%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Really pretty unpleasant. A relative who doesn't drink alcohol left one of these at my house and I thought I'd review it. Ocassionally I've had one of these when I was on painkillers and couldn't drink. I'd say there were better low to non alcohol beers out there. Pours an extremely yellow color with lots of bubbles but no head. The smell is really awful, like the bottom of a trash can. Rotting vegetables. The taste is just beareable, with lots of corny flavors and a kind of soapiness. The mouthfeel is partly crisp,partly soapy with little body. Just barely drinkable- if you have to. If you are looking for a .5% beer, this will do in a pinch, but try a german or even kaliber for something marginally better. If you merely want a low alcohol beer, try a Berliner kindl weiss at 2.5%

12-29-2006 21:02:08 | More by Georgiabeer
hardy008

1.34/5  rDev -35%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours clear pale yellow, with a small white head which has fair retention and leaves spotty lacing.the aroma has some grain and not much else. Very bland.

Tastes slightly sweet with some grain and not much else. I didn't expect much, but O'Doul's found a way to deliver even less. Beyond bland.

Extremely light bodied with average carbonation. I can't say this beer is horrible because of bad taste. It is horrible because it has no taste. I was curious to try this once and now I know. I will avoid in the future.

03-02-2014 02:43:16 | More by hardy008
giblet

1.2/5  rDev -41.7%

wow. i should have ordered a diet coke or ice water or dirty dish water...poured not bad. little head was quickly gone. smell was kinda odd but not much to smell. the taste - gawdalfull! man i will never have this again.

i dont do LA or NA so tis my own fault for having this one. and to think i had to pay for it!!!

blah!

giblet

07-24-2007 12:11:42 | More by giblet
stephendr

1.2/5  rDev -41.7%

12 oz. glass bottle- color of pale yellow, with a light white head - nose of skunk, corn, slight banana, but barely smells like anything resembling a “beer” - taste of sweet white corn, some bitterness, and bubble gum- no body super watery, and with light carbonation – aftertaste of slightly bitter, and candy

01-04-2008 06:18:02 | More by stephendr
kojevergas

1.18/5  rDev -42.7%

12 fl oz can served into an imperial pint glass in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations couldn't be lower.

A: I gave it a vigorous pour resulting in a two finger head of no cream whatsoever, terrible thickness (it's thin as Lara Flynn Boyle), and decent retention. Colour is a transparent yellow. Appears overcarbonated judging by the bubble quantity and activity.

Sm: Straw and generic malt. A light scent.

T: Straw and water. Some wretchedly handled malt is present as well. Bleh. Simple boring generic crap.

Mf: Wet and nastily coarse. Bleh. Doesn't suit the "flavour" at all.

Dr: Please.

Serving type: can

12-19-2011 02:01:58 | More by kojevergas
ernie

Russian Federation

Tasted in Las Vegas.

Very nice bottle with an elegant old-world label.

Beer is very pale, with quickly dying carbonation and short-living head.

Smell is something from another world - sweetish, completely artificial. Start is sweet, too, body very thin (if there is any body at all), finish bitterish, synthetic, aftertaste of something like cardboard.

But the bottle is very nice... Have I said it before? Sorry.

06-26-2006 18:14:45 | More by ernie
CharlesDarwin

Rhode Island

1.13/5  rDev -45.1%

Originally reviewed on September 24, 2005. 12 Oz Bottle. Barely yellow pour, with a huge head of white. Greasy skank aroma. I’ve drank water with more flavor. Can I give this negative flavor points? I’ll give it a 2, because it’s not entirely offensive. Finish hurts though, with stinging corn fusels. Damn glad to get this style out of the way.

11-27-2006 23:54:02 | More by CharlesDarwin
Overlord

1.13/5  rDev -45.1%

Surprised that the ABV is that high, actually.

Pours a clear looking yellow. Foamy, sudsy head. No real smell to speak of, just a whiff of vegetable and ... I don't know what.

Taste has some malt sweetness, but it's too sugary. Nothing else there in this watery, bland, horrid substance.

Not beer.

02-17-2008 04:55:18 | More by Overlord
T-Leb

Missouri

1.11/5  rDev -46.1%

I'm still confused as to who drinks this and why. I actually remember seeing a pregnant lady drinking one of these. Is that safe? I still don't know the answer.

There is nothing to like or dislike about this beer.

What beer drinkers drink when their not drinkin' beer.

01-22-2013 02:59:01 | More by T-Leb
Dogbrick

1.1/5  rDev -46.6%

I finally broke down and tried one of these they were giving away at the Convention Center in Anaheim during a reception. Any curiosity I had is now sated. I'll get more wine instead next time I have the choice. How could anyone like this? By definition this is not really even beer.

01-17-2003 08:43:38 | More by Dogbrick
kinger

1.1/5  rDev -46.6%

Grabbed one from my buddies fridge as I was walking out the door one early morning. He bought it for his pregnant wife, but she thought it was nasty so it sat there in the back of his fridge. "What a great opportunity to be able to check off this category without wasting any money" I thought to myself so here I am drinking what is in essence a decent looking N/A brew that contains no taste and aroma. Pours a golden yellow color with intense carbonation and a frothy head that lasts. The appearance is very nice, better than Bud, Busch, and their light cousins. Aroma is non-existent the only scent I can muster is cardboard. Mouthfeel is a bit creamy but that's about it. The flavor is also absent from this one. Overall a weak beer, but I wasn't expecting anything special.

07-31-2008 18:38:58 | More by kinger
bewareOFpenguin

They claim there is no alcohol, but there is. They claim it is a beer but I have my doubts. Is this brewed for 12 step programs or for giving to people you don't want at your party? I tried it and found it bland, tasteless. I think this is the water they use to wash out the brewing barrels.

Serving type: can