O'Doul's - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of O'Doul's Alström Bros
1.15/5  rDev -50.9%

Tasted in Las Vegas.

Very nice bottle with an elegant old-world label.

Beer is very pale, with quickly dying carbonation and short-living head.

Smell is something from another world - sweetish, completely artificial. Start is sweet, too, body very thin (if there is any body at all), finish bitterish, synthetic, aftertaste of something like cardboard.

But the bottle is very nice... Have I said it before? Sorry. (425 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz green bottle. 0.5% abv.

Clear, light gold color. Head looks like styrofoam and leaves nothing on the glass. I grew up on a farm in small-town Iowa..along with the usual raccoons, possums, and other pests..I have shot & killed plenty of skunks in my day. This beer brings me back in time.. while the skunk smell slowly fades, it turns into a mostly grainy, bland, corn-husk aroma. The taste is fairly clean, while succeeding in having almost no flavor whatsoever. Like water with beer flavoring...I struggle to drink this before it gets any warmer.

I question why anyone would actually purchase this product (and admittedly, I've never understood the point of N/A beer). If you're the designated driver, then drink fruit juice, pop, water...anything...i mean, why this? Luckily, this one was free. (808 characters)

2.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a clear yellow with escaping bubbles clearly visible. Head was a bit rocky but on the thin side. Nose was sweet and syrupy with maybe some corn present. Not bad, though. Light-to-medium body and on the sweet side. Not much hop bitterness or flavor but also not really out of balance. Fairly clean taste. Mouthfeel can only be described as flat and lifeless. Drinkability isn't awful, but I wouldn't say it's good, either.

Not a bad N/A beer. Like most, it's best ice cold. My wife drinks this and puts a lime in it; I have to say it's really not half bad. (565 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a crystal clear straw, with a 1/2 finger of fizzy head that is totally devoid of retention or lacing. Clean nose, faint grainy adjunct and corn smell. The sweet taste of corn adjunct dominates the overall flavor. The aftertaste has a pleasent euro-hop skunk that fades before it become annoying and gives some degree of character to the beer. It's boring and extra light, but I'm sure thats how the brewers intended a NA beer to be; so I'd have to say it has a good balance. Surprisingly smooth mouthfeel as well. Medium carbonation and a thin body that finishes mostly clean with a touch of dry euro-hops. Highly drinkable and nails the style. (650 characters)

2.87/5  rDev +22.6%

The appearance has a very good deep gold color but on the negative side it has a very thin head that dies fast and leaves no lace. The smell is sweet and crisp, pleasing. The taste is average. It is very light, it starts out smooth with cereal malts and ends with no hop kiss and a weak flat yeasty aftertaste. The mouth feel is that of water as it feels and leaves nothing just like water. The drinkability is hampered by the sharp hops that are normally absent unless you chug.

Some final notes: Not bad but I prefer the Amber. It is also sad that the best Aunheuser-Busch has to offer is N/A. (599 characters)

3.01/5  rDev +28.6%

So begins my quest for a nice N/A....

Clear straw color with a nice white head at first and very active carbonation pretty much throughout. Prominent corn adjunct aroma and flavor but not any more so than the standard A-B offerings. Very light bodied. Crisp and clean and not much different than other alcoholic macros which would make it diff to distinguish blind I would think.

Per label:
-65 cal., 13.3 g carb., 0.7g carb, 0 fat

Born On: 11/30/05
Tasted: 01/08/06

($4.56 / 6-pack) (497 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +19.7%

poured a very pale yellow color with a large head head to start that quickly left. Smell is very grainy with the same maltiness (somewhat unpleasant but possible to get used to) in other low or no alcohol beers. Taste is somewhat sweet and not enjoyable at first, but improves with subsequent tastes. Finishe is wet and kind of refreshing. OK for an NA. (353 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +65.8%

Well, it is a non alcoholic beer, I can not say much about it, but what it is for sure, is that it was not that bad, I mean, one have to be concerning that it is a low degree alcohol beer and you have to rate as one of it. But the colour was nice, the foam, just present, and the mouthfeel was not that bad, I would drink another one. (334 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +19.7%

This beer is one of the best beer of this worst brewer, may be is for the low in alcohol, is special for the mexican food, american food, buddies meeting, without the "funny" of the alcohol, is low in adjoincts aroma´s, very recommendable, taste over the average, drinkability in general is good (296 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -35%

Eeeeek ghaaad.... The things I do for you guys....I've had this in the past but had to get it on tap to review for you guys as I feel its my duty. Chili's in westwood had this on tap for a short time and I'm reviewing this off notes, it still raises hairs. poured a flat super clear light golden color with high carbonation. I thought it smelled like a wheat festival. I know what this beer is trying to be but it is awful at acheiving any taste or body that is interesting at all. Drinkability is low as well because its not interesting in th least....no thanks. (563 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +23.1%

Crystal clear pale gold with a big bubble head that falls to a firm ring. Smell is corn and mild biscuit, no skunk on this one...lucky me. Taste is typical for a light beer...crispy, nearly flavorless, with a watery corn juice finish. Mouthfeel was thin but much higher than I anticipated. Actually, not a bad drinking NA. If you have to have one, you could do much worse. (372 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -38.9%

sampled out of sheer morbid curiosity (fiancee's father is diabetic).

pale straw yellow in color, white head has sprite-like appearance before it disappears.

aroma is metallic cereal and grain, cut grass or hay, and wierd corny sweetness

taste is similar, yet even more diluted. beer flavored seltzer. like a malto goya but less sweet

razor thin body and diet soda mouthfeel. if you can not drink beer, stick to water, it's better than this. (453 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -30.3%

Appearance is that of tap water. Aroma contains a skunkiness usually only encountered in Mexican beers – some hops and some malt.
Initial taste is that of a watery barley. One gets the impression of beer from this N/A “beer” but there is total lack of flavor and complexity. (279 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +18.8%

Presentation: Poured a clear, golden color into a mug. A finger-thick head developed on top of the beer, but there wasn't a lot of retention. It showed off a moderate amount of carbonation. The scent was of cereal grains, mainly. There wasn't much else to it. At least it wasn't an unpleasant smell.

Tasting: Grass and grain were the predominant flavors across the tongue with this beer. I didn't detect much of either hop bitterness or malt sweetness. In actuality, it was somewhat flavorless. Mouthfeel was watery and plain, making this not very pleasant. It's possible that I would have another one, served ice cold. (622 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -38%

There simply isn't much to be said about this low alcohol beer... It's as clear as it gets, as pale as it gets. No other nose than boring cereals, carbonated water taste with an unpleasant aftertaste This is foul, devoided of taste, perhaps one of the less tasty beers I've ever had. Must avoid. (295 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -37.2%

Pours too big a head out of the bottle, like a heavily processed head-like aglommeration. Color is the usual Budweiser pale straw. Can't pick up odor at all, but I guess no smell is better than a bad smell, so extra points there. Taste seems sometimes nonexistent, sometimes like some mutant strain of sugar, and where the hell are the hops? That six of Clausthaler I had is really starting to look much better, in retrospect. Gassy as any other AB product. (457 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

As the designated driver at a wedding, after a few Saranacs, I switched to NA beer for the evening. I’ve had O’Douls in the past, but this was the first time I’d had it in years. It’s yellow, very clear, and presents a moderate white head. The aroma reminds me of cereal grains and seltzer water. There’s not a lot of flavor, but it tastes similar to an average macro. I’m not a soda drinker, and I wouldn’t mind having this again, if I didn’t have a choice. (466 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a clear yellow brew with lots of carbonation.

Smell is just a little grain smell, not good or bad.

Taste is pretty watery and a little sour. No hop flavor detected.

Mouthfeel is weak, fizzy water.

Drinkability is watery, better than some NA beers but, not quite as good as a Budweiser. (303 characters)

2.45/5  rDev +4.7%

First I must confess I drank this out of the bottle.

Very clear... must be pale yellow on the pour. Head, I dunno, I drank it from the bottle. It's fizzy and slightly bitter. Hey it must be beer! Actually it wasn't that bad... Not the thinnest beer I've had, surprisingly. Not much taste though. The amber is much better. (324 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -6.8%

So I think, I've never had a non-alcoholic beer, why not..
This actually did pour a respectable color, amber with a white kind of rocky white head. Appearance wise this is far better than most AB products.
Sulfur in the aroma, malty-sweet.
Malty-sweet taste is way too sweet, but does have a beer character. Very light feel, just a touch bitter. Not horrible, I could deal with drinking it. Would work well for a macro drinker. This does come across as beer, more so than say Miller Lite, or Michelob Ultra.
I prefer Goya's Malta soft drink, it's not brewed but made from malt and hops, they just don't add the yeast. (621 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +34.6%

So here's the story...I went to see my in-laws over the Thanksgiving holiday. My father-in-law has cancer, in remission right now, but he takes a lot of maintenance medications that don't interact well with alcohol. But he likes his beer. Before he was diagnosed, he and I spent a lot of time together throwin' 'em back. Long story short, he keeps a few of these O'Douls in the fridge for when he wants to get a little malt on
. So I'm there, and the turkey is long gone, and I didn't take any beer with me...and that nice, cold O'Douls is starting to look kinda inviting.

Poured surprisingly well. Decent head, lots of carbonation. I expected a weak nose, but was pleasantly surprised by the crisp, malty smell. Extremely clear, pale appearance.

Tasted just fine. If I hadn't been aware that it was a non-alcoholic beer, I would have sworn that it was Bud Light or Busch. A bit of a watery mouthfeel, but it was very drinkable. The malt definitely came through in the taste. Little bit of hops on the back of the tongue.

Much, much better than I expected. If I were out and didn't want to drink alcohol, this would be my choice. It looked, tasted, and drank as good as any full-alcohol macro-light-lager. Good show. (1,228 characters)

2.46/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Extremely watery. No detectable aroma. No hop taste. Tastes like tonic water with a metallic twinge. They must've done something to increase the flavor in this NA as it has at least a semblance of taste whereas it didn't a few years ago. Very drinkable (due to watery nature). Not as good as the Amber version. (310 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +44%

12 oz can with the “Born On Date” on the bottom. The official beer for the confirmed alcoholics of the PGA Tour.

Appearance: One of the palest brews I have ever seen almost the same colour as DC tap water. Minimal lacing ends up holding its ground for a while.

Smell: Good balance between hops and grain, almost smells like a real beer.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Wicked light in flavour, light grain … very watery. Nice crispness within the extremely light body. Did I say light? Yes very light. Not too starchy and very clean in the dry finish.

Notes: I could have confused this with a regular light beer … perhaps one of the most beery NA beers around. (664 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -23.9%

I actually didn't buy this with any intention of drinking more than a single bottle of the six pack. I buy non-alcoholics specifically for the purpose of cooking with them, so I won't have to sack something I'd rather drink. If you must drink it, however, you could do a lot worse. It's certainly drinkable, which is what you're really looking for in a non-alcoholic anyway. A friend of mine claimed it tasted like "watered down weasel piss," which is probably a fair assessment, but unfortunately that's just enough to make it one of the best of it's kind. (557 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -41%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

When I poured this beer into my glass, it poured a large white creamy head with small-medium sized bubbles.The body was clear with carbonation and the hue was yellow.There was good lacing with this beer.The flavor was relatively smooth and the mouthfeel was watery and thin. (274 characters)

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch